Sign in to follow this  
Comrade Duck

NCM Recipe Book

Decided, instead of only sharing a recipe with one person, I'd share it with anyone who loves to cook! I'm a big fan of cooking. I find it engaging, challenging, and very rewarding. I'll happily share my own recipes as I get the time to. If you'd like, you can share yours too and we'll create an NCM Cookbook! Here's to the first recipe:

Comrade Duck's Red Beans and Rice

This recipe will feed a family of four for at least two days. Adjust your portions to fit your needs.

• 2lbs of red kidney beans
  • 2.5lbs of sausage of your choice (I recommend your favorite brand of smoke sausage or andouillie sausage (that's usually a southern staple)) / protein of your choice
  • 1/2 cup of diced onion
  • 1/2 cup of diced celery
  • 1/2 cup of diced bell-pepper
  • 1/2 cup of minced garlic
  • Tony Chachere (Or salt and pepper to your preferred taste)

With a sizeable pot, pour in your two pounds of red beans and cover them with luke-warm water and cover them with a lid. Leave them out on your counter top for at least twelve hours.

12 Hours Later

Remove the water from your beans and give them some fresh water (enough to completely cover your beans). Bring your beans to a boil, then reduce the heat on your stove to a medium setting. Now is the time to prepare your seasonings! This includes washing and preparing your sausage or protein to go into the pot. Don't add them just yet, just prepare them to go into your pot. Your beans should be soft at this point, so its time to mash them.

• Quick Side Note: this step seems strange but its important! Mashing your beans (usually with a large cooking spoon or large utensil) will give you an incredible gravy and flavor.

You don't have to mash one-hundred percent of your beans. Mash them until you start to see the water deepen into the color of the beans. At this point, it's time to add your seasonings. Pour in your onion, celery, garlic, and bell-pepper. Season to taste and add your protein of your choice. Reduce your heat once more to a low setting and let your beans cook for another two hours, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

Radio414's Bean Salad

Darj's Green Guacomole

Edited by Comrade Duck

26 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

Wow I thought I was special ?

Anyway, I've never heard of andouillie sausage, how does it differ from other sausages?

?

Real andouillie sausage is a pork sausage in a beef casing. It's much larger than most smoked sausages and a bit higher salt and fat content. It also tastes better.

Edited by Comrade Duck

This is my mom's bean salad recipe. She used to make it all the time for potlucks and it was always a hit. It has since been passed on to me.

1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
Small bag of frozen edamame
Small bag of frozen sweet corn
Large ripe avocado

Put the edamame and the corn in a microwaveable bowl with about 1/2 cup water and microwave on high till they are just on the hot side but not steaming. About 2 minutes. Keep checking.

Drain and rinse the canned items and leave them in the colander.

Once the corn and edamame are hot pour them over the beans in the colander.

In a large bowl combine 2 tbls of grainy mustard with 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 tbls of white wine vinegar (white balsamic and champagne vinegar are best) with a whisk. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the bean mixture in with the dressing and combine.

Cut avocado into cubes and add to the beans. Mix gently.

Serves a bunch but refrigerates well when covered

@Comrade DuckBeans and rice, nice! I first tried them in a cajun fast food chain restaurant and have liked them ever since. Although admittedly have not prepared them in a long while, and have not been able to match the taste of the cajun restaurant. Your recipe seems tasty and would be worth a try, but damn it sure takes a while.

I can share a couple of recipes, too. Although I'm not too used to measurements and even when I follow a recipe I like to experiment with different spices and/or quantities, depending on how the dish looks or feels in the process. I can at the very least list the ingredients and approximate or minimum quantities. May as well start with a guacamole that so far has been liked by everyone whenever I make it for a party or gathering. I call it "Green Guacamole" for a reason you will find out below:

- 3 avocados. I prefer Hash but any variety should be fine as long as it has the consistently you like the most. Personally I liked it ripe and soft to end up with a guacamole with a mushy, mashed-beans-like consistency
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 medium onion, 2 small ones, or half a big one
- Lime juice. The green small one, not the yellow lemon that is bigger. This is important, they do taste different. Lime is more sour
- Diced spicy peppers to taste. I personally prefer habanero, caribe and I think it's cayenne pepper because it's red, but really, anything spicy should work, like jalapeño
- Diced fresh coriander to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Again, quantities are approximates and also up to personal taste so feel free to put less or more of a particular ingredient or skip it entirely. For example, I know not everyone is into onion or spicy food.

As you may have noticed by now, there is a distinctive lack of tomato and an addition of cucumber, the latter effectively replacing the former. This is what makes this guacamole stand out, and why I call it green guacamole. It can be even more green if you add only green-colored peppers but I prefer to add some bits of color with yellow, orange and red peppers.
Anyway, the preparation is simple. Just dice the vegetables and mix everything together, and mix and mash with a spoon or fork until you get your preferred consistency. I like ripe avocados and plenty of lime juice to make it more sour and spreadable, but you can also keep it more dry and go for avocado cubes and don't mash too hard.
Accompany with tortilla chips, or add as a dressing in tacos or next to an steak, it can go well in hot dogs, too! Guacamole is quite flexible.

Edited by Darj

24 minutes ago, Darj said:

@Comrade DuckBeans and rice, nice! I first tried them in a cajun fast food chain restaurant and have liked them ever since. Although admittedly have not prepared them in a long while, and have not been able to match the taste of the cajun restaurant. Your recipe seems tasty and would be worth a try, but damn it sure takes a while.

I can share a couple of recipes, too. Although I'm not too used to measurements and even when I follow a recipe I like to experiment with different spices and/or quantities, depending on how the dish looks or feels in the process. I can at the very least list the ingredients and approximate or minimum quantities. May as well start with a guacamole that so far has been liked by everyone whenever I make it for a party or gathering. I call it "Green Guacamole" for a reason you will find out below:

- 3 avocados. I prefer Hash but any variety should be fine as long as it has the consistently you like the most. Personally I liked it ripe and soft to end up with a guacamole with a mushy, mashed-beans-like consistency
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 medium onion. 2 small ones, or half a big one
- Lime juice. The green small one, not the yellow lemon that is bigger. This is important, they do taste different. Lime is more sour
Diced spicy peppers to taste. I personally prefer habanero, caribe and I think it's cayenne pepper because it's red, but really, anything spicy should work, like jalapeño
- Diced fresh coriander to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Again, quantities are approximates and also up to personal taste so feel free to put less or more of a particular ingredient or skip it entirely. For example, I know not everyone is into onion or spicy food.

As you may have noticed by now, there is a distinctive lack of tomato and an addition of cucumber, the latter effectively replacing the former. This is what makes this guacamole stand out, and why I call it green guacamole. It can be even more green if you add only green-colored peppers but I prefer to add some bits of color with yellow, orange and red peppers.
Anyway, the preparation is simple. Just dice the vegetables and mix everything together, and mix and mash with a spoon or fork until you get your preferred consistency. I like ripe avocados and plenty of lime juice to make it more sour and spreadable, but you can also keep it more dry and go for avocado cubes and don't mash too hard.
Accompany with tortilla chips, or add as a dressing in tacos or next to an steak, it can go well in hot dogs, too! Guacamole is quite flexible.

I'm actually a fan of more sour guac. I love it on tacos or just on a tortilla chip. I look forward to trying this out.