PhoenixOfCute

Lutri, the Spellchaser Ban

Kinda just wanna talk about and hear opinions on the Lutri, the Spellchaser ban! It was interesting to see the committee ban a card so quickly and curious about their opinions on it. Magic-The-Gathering-MTG-Ikoria-Lutri-Spe

So, like, it obviously had huge potiential to be banned in EDH/Commander the moment the card was printed. The card has a restriction that straight doesn't matter in formats that are already singleton, not just EDH. Wizards even announced Lutri would be banned in Brawl too. I'm a little interested in the reasoning behind this specific card being banned ahead of time instead of, say, Leovold or Griselbrand, though. Both of those were obviously powerful things that were never going to fly in the format they've created but we still got months with them legal.

A lot of the internet reaction I've seen is focused on using this as another opportunity to slag on the commitee for not banning Flash yet, which, I mean, internet's gonna internet. Card needs banned, but then again, so did this.

I'm pretty whatever on the whole thing 'cause I just play with a single group. I'll probably pick a copy up just for kicks. It's a pretty low opportunity cost to ask your playgroup -- it's not like it'd be shuffled into the deck -- and companion seems sweet, so...

I mean yeah, I agree with you. It was kinda obvious it was going to be banned with that format. I've seen some people trying to argue that because of Companions a sideboard should start existing, even though we know it won't. I'm also a casual/kitchen table player so I wouldn't have any issues with people in my playgroup running it although... yeah you basically -have- to throw it into every single deck with that access, and at that point it can get unfair cost-efficiency wise if it hadn't been banned. I do think it was a mistake not to have it simply banned as companion though, I know they seem to have thought it would get too confusing but the card is completely fair to be played as Commander or in the 99, right?

The reason for the ban is basically how it bears zero deckbuilding cost. It even exists outside of the game and is unbound by commander identity- you needn't izzet colours to play it, just being able to cast it. The companion requirement being playing a singleton format, it would mean every deck would like to have it as an extra option which doesn't even eat up a deck's slot as it doesn't count toward the 100-card total.

Zero deckbuilding cost and absurd splashability equals instant addition equals undesirable card in a format.

51 minutes ago, Mugendramon said:

It even exists outside of the game and is unbound by commander identity- you needn't izzet colours to play it, just being able to cast it.

Sheldon disagrees with you there

On 4/9/2020 at 6:48 PM, Mugendramon said:

Fair, loses a bit of splash then

What splash does it lose? It is a free card. Not playing one is probably a waste of time.

14 hours ago, Dae said:

What splash does it lose? It is a free card. Not playing one is probably a waste of time.

In the sense that you can't play it in tasigur like you could if it didn't count

4 hours ago, Mugendramon said:

In the sense that you can't play it in tasigur like you could if it didn't count

That is not a splash that it loses. Tasigur is shit. And cards like Lurrus or Yorion have warped formats; there is more lost by not playing such cards than doing so. These are free cards, and if you're not playing them you're down a powerful card against the opponent.

4 hours ago, Dae said:

That is not a splash that it loses. Tasigur is shit. And cards like Lurrus or Yorion have warped formats; there is more lost by not playing such cards than doing so. These are free cards, and if you're not playing them you're down a powerful card against the opponent.

Whatevs, Tasigur was just a non-izzet commander. If it didn't count for the color identity you would have run it in any color combination that used either U or R. That's a lot of potential splash.

Nobody's denying some companions are good, that's for sure. Lutri in particular was just too blatant an include in anything that could play it with 0 deckbuilding cost that they just didn't want to let it loose.

19 hours ago, Mugendramon said:

Whatevs, Tasigur was just a non-izzet commander. If it didn't count for the color identity you would have run it in any color combination that used either U or R. That's a lot of potential splash.

Nobody's denying some companions are good, that's for sure. Lutri in particular was just too blatant an include in anything that could play it with 0 deckbuilding cost that they just didn't want to let it loose.

I guess the other companions cause /some/ deckbuilding restrictions, but the companion mechanic is the problem imo, not just the card. It is a free card that requires no deckbuilding costs outside of the conditionary clause, which is not a problem when the free card does what it does. Yorion is the exception since you legit cannot use it in Commander.