The Old Charlelot

Read me a Fairy Tale ! Golden Castle of Stromberg Support [Written]

Hey everyone,

Here are some additions to the “Golden Castle of Stromberg” archetype. Some of the cards here come from the anime and have been slightly modified to fit better with the existing support, others are my own creation, inspired by their respective stories in Grimm’s Fairy Tales and Fables comics.

Have a read and tell me what you all think.

Monster Cards:

Spoiler

Forest Wolf

Level 3 EARTH Beast/Effect

ATK 1800 DEF 300

If this card destroys a monster by battle, equip that monster to this card. If “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, this card gains ATK equal to the combined original ATK of every monsters that are equipped to this card. If this card is destroyed by battle or by a card effect: Special Summon 1 monster that was equipped to this card on your opponent’s field (ignoring its Summoning conditions), also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can Special Summon that monster on your field instead.

Little Red Riding Hood

Level 3 EARTH Fairy/Effect

ATK 800 DEF 1200

If you control a Beast or Warrior monster that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card in your possession is send to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior monster from your hand or Deck, also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can Special Summon 1 monster that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text from your Deck or GY instead, except” Little Red Riding Hood”.

Forest Hunter

Level 3 EARTH Warrior/Effect

ATK 1200 DEF 800

If “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can banish 1 Beast, Beast-Warrior or Winged Beast monster on either player’s field or from your Deck, then, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Fairy monster from your Deck or GY. You can only use each effects of “Forest Hunter” once per turn.

Snow White & Rose Red

Level 4 LIGHT Fairy/Effect

ATK 1600 DEF 1000

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can select 1 Level 4 or lower Beast or Beast-Warrior from your Deck; add it your hand, also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can Special Summon that monster instead. If your opponent activates a card or effect (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up monster you control that’s specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text; return that monster to your hand, then, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in in a Field Zone, you can Special Summon 1 monster from your hand whose Level is equal or lower than that target (even if this card leaves the field). You can only use each effect of “Snow White & Rose Red” once per turn.

Savage Prince

Level 4 EARTH Beast-Warrior/Effect

ATK 2100 DEF 1200

If you do not control another monster that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text, this card cannot attack. You can only use the following effects of “Savage Prince” once per turn. If this card was Special Summoned by a card effect in your possession: This card becomes a Warrior-Type monster, then, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in in a Field Zone, you can destroy 1 card on the field. If this card leaves the field, either by battle or by a card effect: You can look at your face-down banished cards; add 1 “Golden Castle of Stromberg” or 1 Level 4 or lower Fairy monster among them or from your GY to your hand.

Dwarven Warlock

Level 7 DARK Spellcaster/Effect

ATK 2450 DEF 2450

You can Tribute 2 monsters you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text; Special Summon this card from your hand, also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can Tribute 1 face-up card you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text to activate this effect instead. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up card on both player’s fields, except this card; negate their effects until the end of the turn, also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, the effects of cards on your field that are targeted with this effect are not negated and they cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent’s card effects until the end of the turn.

Spell Cards:

Spoiler

Grimm Reality

Continuous Spell Card

Activate by adding 1 card that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text from your Deck to your hand, except “Grimm Reality”. If you banish 5 or more cards from your Deck because of a card effect while you control another face-up card that lists “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text: You can reveal up to 5 of your cards that are banished face-down; add 1 card among them to your hand, then, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, you can also add 1 monster among them that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text to your hand, also, after that, shuffle the rest into the Deck. You can only use each effect of “Grimm Reality” once per turn.

Snicker-Snack Blade

Equip Spell Card

If “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in in a Field Zone: You can reveal this card from your hand, then Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from hand or Deck that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text, and if you do, equip this card to it. You can only use this effect of “Snicker-Snack Blade” once per turn. Must be equipped to a monster that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text. At the start of the Damage Step, if a monster that is equipped with this card battles an opponent monster; banish that monster. If neither player controls a face-up “Golden Castle of Stromberg”, monsters your opponent controls cannot be destroyed by battle.

Trap Cards:

Spoiler

Cloak of Infinite Darkness

Normal Trap Card

Activate by Tributing 1 monster you control; Special Summon 1 monster with a different Type and that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text from your Deck or GY, and if you do, equip it with this card. During your opponent’s turn: You can Tribute the equipped monster; Special Summon 1 monster with a different Type and that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text from your Deck or GY, and if you do, equip it with this card. You can only use this effect of “Cloak of Infinite Darkness” once per turn. The equipped monster cannot be destroyed by battle or by your opponent’s cards and effects. If this equipped card leaves the field, destroy the equipped monster, except if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in in a Field Zone.

Extra Deck:

Spoiler

Ravenform Dragon

Level 8 DARK Dragon/Fusion/Effect

ATK 2800 DEF 2500

1 DARK Spellcaster monster + 1 monster that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Fairy monster from your hand or GY. At the start of the Damage Step, if a Fairy monster you control battles a monster on your opponent’s field, destroy that monster. If a monster you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” attacks or is attacked and “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, your opponent cannot activate any cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can add 1 “Polymerization” or “Golden Castle of Stromberg” from your GY to your hand.

Frostheart Tykes

Level 7 WIND Fairy/Fusion/Effect

ATK 2450 DEF 2450

2 monsters with different Types that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in their text

(Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Level 3 EARTH Beast monster from your Deck or GY, but negated its effect (if any), and if you do, it gains 2450 ATK/DEF. While this card is in your GY, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, Level 3 Beast monsters you control can make 2 attacks on monsters during each Battle Phase. If a monster that was Special Summoned with this card’s effect leaves the field (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your GY, then you can add 1 “Polymerization” or “Golden Castle of Stromberg” from your GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of “Frostheart Tykes” once per turn.

Enchanted Grove Artisan

Level 6 EARTH Plant/Fusion/Effect

ATK 1900 DEF 2000

2 monsters that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in their text

Once per turn: You can send 1 monster on the field or from your hand to the GY; Special Summon 1 “Woodman Token” (Plant-Type/LIGHT/Level 3/ATK ?/DEF ?) (If “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, when Summoned, that Token’s ATK/DEF becomes equal to the original ATK of the monster you sent to the GY with this effect) “Woodman Tokens” cannot be used as Materials for Summons, also, while you control a “Woodman Token”, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card would be destroyed by a card or effect, you can send 1 DARK Spellcaster monster from your hand or field to the GY instead, then you can add 1 “Polymerization” or “Golden Castle of Stromberg” from your GY to your hand.  

The Golden Goose

Link – 1 LIGHT Winged Beats/Link/Effect

Link Arrows: Down

ATK 100 DEF

1 Effect monster

You can either (Quick Effect): Place this card face-up in your Field Zone, and if you do, this card’s name becomes “Golden Castle of Stromberg” while in the Field Zone, OR Special Summon this card from your Field Zone. While this card is in your Field Zone: You can shuffle a number of banished cards into their owner’s Deck up to the number of monsters you control that specifically list the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in their text , then draw 1 card for each 2 cards shuffled into the Deck with this effect. If this card leaves the field: You can add 1 Spell/Trap Card that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” in its text from your GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of “The Golden Goose” once per turn.

Edited by The Old Charlelot
Minor fixes.

Ooh, the canon effect of Golden Castle is broken. Too bad about the high costs, though...

Anyway, I haven't seen the Golden Castle episodes, but I can tell the theme from this, and I like what I see here. It (probably) fits well with the anime. I do think Ravenform Dragon is too OP, though, as it can automatically destroy any of your opponent's monsters that dare to be attacked by a Fairy monster, and your opponent can't even activate cards or effects to do anything about it, and it does burn if Golden Castle is on the field. I would suggest removing the burn effect as Golden Castle already has that, and toning down the effects somehow. Maybe make the "can't do anything till the end of the Damage Step, hahaha" dependent on Golden Castle, or the other effect, or both.

I also have some legal questions about Frostheart Tykes – the effect of a Frostheart Counter looks like it's a monster effect, which depends on Frostheart being on the field, but it Tributes itself to get the counter out, so... I like the effect itself, though, so you could ask for legal advice on how to better word this or just issue a custom ruling in this post.

I like how the monsters aren't totally reliant on Golden Castle, and can in fact be played without it, but gain more powerful effects if it's there.

That's all I have to say for now.

1 hour ago, Damian Thorne said:

Ooh, the canon effect of Golden Castle is broken. Too bad about the high costs, though...

Anyway, I haven't seen the Golden Castle episodes, but I can tell the theme from this, and I like what I see here. It (probably) fits well with the anime. I do think Ravenform Dragon is too OP, though, as it can automatically destroy any of your opponent's monsters that dare to be attacked by a Fairy monster, and your opponent can't even activate cards or effects to do anything about it, and it does burn if Golden Castle is on the field. I would suggest removing the burn effect as Golden Castle already has that, and toning down the effects somehow. Maybe make the "can't do anything till the end of the Damage Step, hahaha" dependent on Golden Castle, or the other effect, or both.

I also have some legal questions about Frostheart Tykes – the effect of a Frostheart Counter looks like it's a monster effect, which depends on Frostheart being on the field, but it Tributes itself to get the counter out, so... I like the effect itself, though, so you could ask for legal advice on how to better word this or just issue a custom ruling in this post.

I like how the monsters aren't totally reliant on Golden Castle, and can in fact be played without it, but gain more powerful effects if it's there.

That's all I have to say for now.

Hey there, thanks for the feedback. It seems I spaced out during Ravenform Dragon’s creation and forgot that Golden Castle also inflicts damage to the opponent, making my card redundant. My bad. I changed it a little bit and it might still be a bit strong, but then again, it is meant to be a boss monster after all. As for Frostheart Tykes, well yeah, I messed up. I thought I could simply get away with it with an Ojama Trio-like explainer but it simply does not work with Counters. Once again, my bad. I believe that the current version would work properly, even if it is now vulnerable to D.D. Crow. The hardest part really, was fitting the Fusion monsters’ effect within my 140 words limit with at least 1 of their Fusion Material still needing to list the Golden Castle in its card text.

*Edit* Scratch that, Frostheart Tykes still nedds a bit of work. I'll think about it and get back to it tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, The Old Charlelot said:

Hey there, thanks for the feedback. It seems I spaced out during Ravenform Dragon’s creation and forgot that Golden Castle also inflicts damage to the opponent, making my card redundant. My bad. I changed it a little bit and it might still be a bit strong, but then again, it is meant to be a boss monster after all. As for Frostheart Tykes, well yeah, I messed up. I thought I could simply get away with it with an Ojama Trio-like explainer but it simply does not work with Counters. Once again, my bad. I believe that the current version would work properly, even if it is now vulnerable to D.D. Crow. The hardest part really, was fitting the Fusion monsters’ effect within my 140 words limit with at least 1 of their Fusion Material still needing to list the Golden Castle in its card text.

*Edit* Scratch that, Frostheart Tykes still nedds a bit of work. I'll think about it and get back to it tomorrow.

Thanks for responding!

I like what you did with Frostheart Tykes, but I'd still suggest getting a second opinion on Ravenform's strength. Speaking of Ravenform, I'd also like to make a quick correction to this sentence in its effect:

At the start of the Damage Step, if a Fairy monster you control battles a monster on your opponent’s field, destroy that monster, also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, if a monster you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate any cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

It seems like these two effects are one effect, because they're in the same sentence. In that case, the "you can't do anything, hahaha" effect only applies when the "Fairy Monster destroys all" effect applies. That's clearly not what you were going for, though, so I would suggest putting each effect in a separate sentence, like this:

At the start of the Damage Step, if a Fairy monster you control battles a monster on your opponent’s field, destroy that monster. If a monster you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” attacks or is attacked and “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, your opponent cannot activate any cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

In addition to splitting the sentence, this removes the double "if" clauses on the "you can't do anything, hahaha" effect to make it less redundant.

That being said, I still like a lot of the other cards, like "Eternal Cloak of Darkness." And, maybe, just a little extra power is needed to stay relevant in the era of 4000+ ATK OTKs.

Anyway, have a nice day!

6 hours ago, Damian Thorne said:

Thanks for responding!

I like what you did with Frostheart Tykes, but I'd still suggest getting a second opinion on Ravenform's strength. Speaking of Ravenform, I'd also like to make a quick correction to this sentence in its effect:

At the start of the Damage Step, if a Fairy monster you control battles a monster on your opponent’s field, destroy that monster, also, if “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, if a monster you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate any cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

It seems like these two effects are one effect, because they're in the same sentence. In that case, the "you can't do anything, hahaha" effect only applies when the "Fairy Monster destroys all" effect applies. That's clearly not what you were going for, though, so I would suggest putting each effect in a separate sentence, like this:

At the start of the Damage Step, if a Fairy monster you control battles a monster on your opponent’s field, destroy that monster. If a monster you control that specifically lists the card “Golden Castle of Stromberg” attacks or is attacked and “Golden Castle of Stromberg” is in a Field Zone, your opponent cannot activate any cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

In addition to splitting the sentence, this removes the double "if" clauses on the "you can't do anything, hahaha" effect to make it less redundant.

That being said, I still like a lot of the other cards, like "Eternal Cloak of Darkness." And, maybe, just a little extra power is needed to stay relevant in the era of 4000+ ATK OTKs.

Anyway, have a nice day!

I was pretty satisfied with Frostheart too but I realized that if I had multiple of them in the GY, then all monsters I controlled that have Counters on them would all gain 2450 ATK multiple times. As much as I would like the idea of a Forest Wolf with almost 10000 ATK, I think it’s way too OP.

As for Ravenform, I changed it as you suggested.

*Edit* Alright, so I couldn't sleep until I somewhat fixed Frosheart. So here we go, latest fix in place.