Thar

TharPG - Thar Plays Games [Let's Play Blog]

tharpglogo.png

Welcome to my new blog, where I try to blast through games with no say in how things turn out.

(Also Skaia, if you're reading this, please don't sue me.)

This'll basically just be me playing games at my own pace, recording it, and sorting through the footage to grab screenshots and provide typed-out commentary for them. So think a standard Let's Play, but without audio and it's written out like a blog. As an example, look at Skaia's blog here.

As for what games I'll be playing, well... I have no idea, so I suppose I'll let you decide, though your votes very heavily depend on what I feel like playing. Might do polls for it later, but we'll see. However, most cases will have me posting multiple blogs for the same game because a whole playthrough in one sitting is just too much to ask of me.

Hope you enjoy!

Current game being played:

Pac-Guy

Episode list:

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - EP 1 - Humble Beginnings

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - EP 2 - Rolling Out The Blog Entries

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - EP 3 - Double Trouble

Pac-Guy: Resurrection - Pac-Man's Redneck Cousin

Pac-Guy: Christmas Special - 'Tis the Season to Not be in Season

Pac-Guy: Atomic Edition - Pac-Man on Steroids... ON STEROIDS!

Pac-Guy 2: First Contact - Sphere vs. Alien Spheres and Other Alien Shapes!

Pac-Guy 2: Part 2 - Pagoon - KAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Pac-Guy 2: Part 3 - Pacula's Curse - When I said "redneck pacman", I meant it.

-

Edited by Thar

tharpglogo.png

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - EP 1 - Humble Beginnings

Hello... anyone?

Well, I suppose I can just put something out to cut my teeth for the first time in a while with this whole blog thing. If anyone here remembers my little 3D solid modeling blog from a while ago, that was indeed one of many things I did that may or may not have been successful, depending on how you look at it. But without further ado, let's do this thing, shall we?

Welcome to the first installment of TharPG! My name is Thar and I will be your subpar entertainer for the moment. To start things off, I'll be playing Crash Bandicoot, specifically the remake - AKA the N. Sane Trilogy.

ezgif.com-gif-maker_8.gif

Hopefully this doesn't destroy people's computers. If I'm gonna do the whole fancy GIF thing, it might be a doozy for some people, but hopefully it's not too bad.

Anyway, here we are at the title screen. To start off, let me expound you all with some background leading to this: The original Crash Bandicoot game came out in 1996 for the PS1. From what I remember, that version was the first video game I have ever played. I've watched other people play other games before that, though the problem is while I remember clearly what they were playing, I have no idea in what order, so the first game I've ever SEEN is still a mystery to me. Nonetheless, Crash Bandicoot was one of the games available to us during free period at the daycare I went to before I was old enough to go to school and my parents were gone for work. Every day we'd get an hour to do a variety of activities set up around the area. Me? Shockingly enough, I was immediately in the room with the single 15" CRT TV on a rolling stand with a PS1 and 3 games: Crash Bandicoot, Motocross X, and another one I can't remember, but the important thing is Crash Bandicoot was the one I have the clearest memory of. In fact, it was around that time that my memories started to become more clear to begin with, as everything else beforehand was rather cloudy and uncertain.

So with that, we have the game select screen: we'll be starting with the first game and work chronologically. I can probably expound more on the other 2 games cause I actually owned those, meaning I know a lot more about them by gameplay and nostalgia alone, but Crash 1 is something I've always wanted to play more considering I didn't really grow up with it as much. So away we go!

...this would be the part where the intro cutscene plays, but because my audio settings for the game are really low so I can watch other videos on another screen (and because my screen recorder wasn't recording audio anyway) I just decided to skip it, so if you wanna watch it, I guess just Youtube it or something.

So we'll start right off the bat with the first level:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_3.gif

Even for the remade version, this really brings me back. First time I saw this, I wasn't actually playing, but I remember this being the first thing I saw when I first entered that room and saw someone else playing it at the time. Of course, the only thing missing is the classic menu screen with Crash running up to the screen, screaming, and nearly getting hit by the title. It works, though, and does it justice, if not moreso.

So now the first thing you must always do when you want to impress your friends that have never played this game before: Spin the crab and launch it into the first Aku-Aku box to break it.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_4.gif

I have my priorities, and one of them is to always get that satisfying spin in whenever I can. One difference between this and the classic version, though, is that when you break an Aku-Aku box from a distance, it just sits there until you pick it up. Here it just comes to you, which is nice, but the instinct to just run up and grab it is nullified and kinda makes it feel... underwhelmed? I dunno, I suppose it's fine. Hell, it IS fine, and I'm just rambling. Moving on...

So this level shows you pretty much everything you need to know to get through the game. Move around to advance? Check. Spin to get past the grab (you can jump too, but we'll get to that)... check. Jump to get over the pits? Check. Spin or jump on boxes to break them? Check.

So now that we've learned all that, we also get to see what Aku-Akus are for. They're basically like magic mushrooms from Mario, but more Polynesian. You can get up to 3 at once. The first two are just free hits. The third one grants you invincibility for a short period. Excluded from the GIFs is me getting this third mask and plowing through the level up until I reach a fork in the road, but only one path actually matters here. However, I apologize in advance for the embarrassing moment you're about to witness...

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_5.gif

So after several successful attempts on getting this bit down but an equal amount of failures in capturing it, naturally I choked when it actually mattered. Thing is, actually, I thought I undershot the jump here and expected to fall in the pit behind me, but upon realizing I landed, that was my downfall (literally.) What's even more salt in the wound is watching the boxes appear one by one as I proceeded to not break them as I intended to.

The trick here is to grab the invincibility, activate the block that turns the outlined boxes into real boxes, and just cross the bridge with the mask still on. Because there's a slight delay time between touching boxes and breaking them while you're on top of them, you just cross the bridge of boxes and they all break by the time you reach the other side... but obviously that didn't work out, and now all my masks are gone and I gotta do it the other, less fun way.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_6.gif

Just jump on them one by one in sequence, each time tapping forward. This way is much more stressful and tedious, but it's pretty much the only alternative (in fact, it's probably how it was designed) to do it besides doing it with the mask. Either way, this is easily the easiest level to get the gem on (you get the gem when you break all the boxes in a level before completing it, though in Crash 1, some levels have colored gems where you have to do so without dying to get it. These gems unlock secret paths that make the regular gem impossible to get without.)

So now that that's out of the way, time to go down the other path in reverse. In most cases, this is a very stressful thing to have to do, but here it's not bad at all:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_7.gif

...and there you go, first level complete!

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_8.gif

So there you have it! That'll be my first little section for this thing. Let me know what you think, and don't forget to WRECK THAT LIKE BUTTON, DEVOUR THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON, AND JUST DECIMATE THAT BELL!

...oh right, this isn't Youtube. My bad.

Edited by Thar

Where's the bell? WHERE'S THE BELL?

But yeah anyway, that was quite fun. That moment with the box bridge was incredible. I like how you decided to do this. Was wondering how a text LP of a platformer would work.

6 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

Where's the bell? WHERE'S THE BELL?

But yeah anyway, that was quite fun. That moment with the box bridge was incredible. I like how you decided to do this. Was wondering how a text LP of a platformer would work.

Thanks, man. Wasn't sure myself how I'd do this, but GIFs seemed like a fun idea. Kinda makes a seamless experience pretty difficult to simulate, but key moments seem to be doing the trick. Glad you like it so far!

tharpglogo.png

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - EP 2 - Rolling Out The Blog Entries

ezgif.com-crop_4.gif

Hello, again! Welcome back to TharPG! Not quite sure how these episodes will be rationed out, because doing these one level at a time seems a bit tedious, but it really depends on what I can manage to get out with the footage I have. Either way, we'll start this segment with the next level: Jungle Rollers. This'll be the official first level past the tutorial level, so while things are only just starting, we're already entering a pretty steep difficulty curve. You'll see why later.

So this episode, in order to get as much footage in as possible, I'll start implementing longer GIFs, which consequentially will be choppier due to the file size constraints of EZgif. Nonetheless, they still look watchable enough, so here's the first stretch for this level:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_9.gif

Jungle Rollers is the level that introduces you to TNT blocks, which as you can see (not very well, apparently, cause of the framerate) I didn't spin it, because why would you spin a red block that says TNT on it? It's almost as if there are multiple warnings indicated by color, labels, and a blinking red light. "Eh, looks safe enough." Famous last words.

One thing you might notice is that I'm not going for every box. Why? Cause it's literally impossible at the moment, and I'll show you why later. It's also why I'm not picking up the Tawna heads, which lead to a bonus level when you collect three. Same reason, though I might do it just for a demonstration later. In the meantime, piranha plants are a common placement in these jungle levels. The stone roller levels, though, are the only levels with skunks that you also see here. In fact, you only ever see skunks in the first game. Not sure why, but it's interesting.

Second stretch with invincibility mode:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_10.gif

Always nice to have that mask to just plow through even simple sections of levels.

But as you can see, just past the checkpoint is what looks like the outline of a platform. That's because the actual platform WOULD be there if I had collected the green gem from one of the later levels. As mentioned before, colored gems can only be collected after getting all the boxes on a particular level WITHOUT dying once. If you die during a colored gem level, you have to quit the level and start again if you want another chance at getting it. Otherwise, you won't get it even if you get every box. This is one thing that separates the first game from the rest: it's way more unforgiving, and the colored gems are the biggest obstacle for many players.

So now we get to one of the first instances of good old fashioned bullshit:

ezgif-1-765c7eb180b5.gif

I would've showed the leadup to this, but the GIF was too long to process, so I had to shorten it. Either way, here we have the first moment of the game that tells you just how much of a ride of shit the player is in for. A classic example of developers being like "Hey buddy, you like the game so far? Well, let's hope you have a sense of humor!" Oh Naughty Dog, how devious you were and probably still are (yeah, don't think I doubt you were as cunning in Jak & Daxter and the Uncharted games, you fucks.)

But yeah, that being said, let's just get this over with:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_11.gif

Yeah, that's what I have to say to that. Either way, the window is tough to get the first hundred tries.

So now we have the home stretch:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_12.gif

Again, didn't bother to get all 3 Tawna heads to show you the bonus level, but like I said, I might as well since it'd show you what they were. Regardless, it's a pretty straightforward level and, as I mentioned, only the start of the game, so it's pretty easy to get through, especially for people like me who grew up playing it. The gem will have to wait, though, unfortunately.

Tune in next time for a level where any missed jump could mean instant death. Cheers!

tharpglogo.png

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy - EP 3 - Double Trouble

kppBPsL.gif

Why hello there. Fancy meeting you all here.

Welcome back to TharPG! Going from where we last left off, we've gotten past the jungle and now we're gonna break into the natives' settlement and plow through their society. I'm excited! Are you excited! It'll be fun!

So with that, we'll be breaking through the gates:

Dn8M3kc.gif

This is where what started as a revolutionary front-facing platformer goes back to a side-scrolling element. Personally, I was never a big fan of side-scrolling. I'm not sure if it's because I grew up with 3D platformers myself, cause playing the former feels like I'm trapped in an anthill or something while the latter feels much more spacious and free. Either way, these segments weren't really part of my first exposure to this game as a kid. Most of the ones I experienced at the time were the front-facing ones, and the games I owned were mostly that, so that explains that a bit.

So let's just go with our first stretch:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_13.gif

Right away we're given conveniently placed bouncing blocks that get us straight up to the lookout platforms at the top, almost as if this tribe WANTED Crash to invade their land. In any case, notice the skill involved in not even touching the platforms to break all those boxes at the top. Such elegance. Such grace. Such... eh, screw it. It was satisfying to do, and I got another surge of invincibility, so here we go again:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_14.gif

So as you can see, the platforming is pretty basic here. Occasional gaps between walkable surfaces and "strategically" placed enemies. The only real threat in this stretch is the bouncing steel box trap, which appropriately has a free life inside as if they were like "by the way, you might die to this." ...huh, that's strange, cause I'm pretty sure I can't die right now. Weird. Also the boxes set up to bounce on and reach another life? I guess they just didn't really consider Crash's jump height when they put it there.

Next stretch:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_15.gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_16.gif

Had to separate them for file size reasons, as mentioned before. Hopefully that doesn't ruin the experience that much, but it is what it is. Another invincible run through a series of innocent animals and people just to advance. Nothing unusual. Only particular moment was that spiked pillar blocking my path there. Would've been bad if I wasn't invulnerable to everything besides gravity.

Not really much to say here, so here's the finish:

ezgif.com-gif-maker_9.gif

I probably pissed off a bunch of people there. Notice how I gathered all 3 Tawna heads, summoned the transport platform, and just said "nope"? Again, as mentioned before, there was just no point, but I said I'd demonstrate those later, so don't worry, you'll see them.

So since this was gonna turn out to be another short episode with just that level alone, I figured I'd include the next level with it. So strap in, because this is where it gets dicey:

ezgif.com-crop_7.gif

One of the most notorious level themes in the series. Right off the bat, as soon as you get a good feel for the controls and a good idea for some of the platforming elements, they go ahead and do this shit:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_18.gif

Yes. You now have to run TOWARDS the camera... and no, it's not just to backtrack. This is the whole level... but wait, it gets better.

ezgif.com-gif-maker_11.gif

Not only can you not stop without getting crushed, but your reaction time needs to be on point to avoid the obstacles in front of you, which you can't see until a second before you have to jump or dodge. Both back in the day and around the time I picked this up again, this level was the bane of my existence. Countless lives were lost and many breaks were taken. It took me a while to get the rhythm down for an efficient run, because even the slightest deviation from a dead straight path could mean certain doom.

"Now then, just what will you do about the SECOND BOULDER, Crash?!"

ezgif.com-gif-maker_12.gif

...Madara, is that you?

So yeah, this one in particular was where the struggle was. While the first one was basically just a tutorial level, this one is longer, and you now have potential for being blocked if you don't time your jumps. Granted, both the pits and the walls give the same result of failure by death, but the walls are far more cruel by giving the illusion of redemption after losing distance from the boulder, giving you a far more unpleasant death animation. Fortunately, I don't die here, because I've played this level so many times as to get a feel for what works best. On the plus side, these levels are fairly easy to get gems in, cause the boulder breaks any boxes you "miss." Honestly, why would you even bother breaking them yourself? It's like picking up a dollar on a busy highway. It's just not worth it.

Right, so now with the home stretch... the final boulder:

ezgif.com-gif-maker_13.gif

Phew! Never gets any less unsettling, but there's the gem... and the end. Now we can relax a bit before moving on.

That'll be it for this episode! Stay tuned for more!

Note to self do not try and read this on mobile

But can confirm still entertaining without the gifs

I always was leery of this game in big part cause of stuff like that boulder

tharpglogo.png

Pac-Guy: Resurrection - Pac-Man's Redneck Cousin

Hello? Anyone still here?

It's been a while, but I'm back, and I'm making some changes. I decided to make videos instead of the whole GIF thing, which is more of a pain than it's worth. Also, I'm switching games. What game you ask? Well... let's just say you have to see it to believe it.

Pac-Guy: Resurrection

Yeah, this is an interesting one, and something I'm always proud of having played as a kid. Playing this again is so nostalgic. Also, there's no audio, so there's not that much context, so I'll do my best to explain what's going on:

To sum up this game, it's basically Pac-Man's redneck cousin - a fan-made version of Pac-Man on steroids. Like the original, you collect dots while avoiding enemies, and you eat power pellets to kill said enemies. Here's the twist: Power pellets don't turn your enemies blue and give you the ability to eat them. Instead, each power pellet is one load of ammunition for which to shoot them with. Also, when you shoot them, they don't rush to a spawn zone and come back out. They're dead forever. So once you shoot all the enemies, the board is clear and you're free to safely complete the level without issues.

Granted, this is just this game. Believe it or not, there are multiple games in this series. Some levels have enemies that can't be killed, or can only be killed by achieving a certain objective, etc. It gets crazier.

Anyway, one thing that was never mentioned due to a lack of audio: The blinking seizure block outside of the levels... that block gives you a shitton of ammo, and it can only be obtained by breaching the walls via a secret block in each one. Fortunately, I know all them by heart (except a couple), so it wasn't an issue for me, but I can imagine someone who hasn't played these games to struggle with that.

That being said, enjoy! ...and if you have any questions about the game itself or if something else in the video needs explaining, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Thar

I was expecting this game to be a trip based on how you described it, but holy hell not to the extent that it was.

1 hour ago, Yui said:

I was expecting this game to be a trip based on how you described it, but holy hell not to the extent that it was.

You think that was a trip, just wait until what's to come.

Wild stuff. Never heard of this and just...wild. I think what killed me most was the normal ass rifle just as a stage hazard.

Also the music

6 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Wild stuff. Never heard of this and just...wild. I think what killed me most was the normal ass rifle just as a stage hazard.

Also the music

The music's the best part, yeah. To this day, I'm still trying to figure out what the tracks were.

tharpglogo.png

Pac-Guy: Christmas Special - 'Tis the Season to Not be in Season

Pac-Guy: Atomic Edition - Pac-Man on Steroids... ON STEROIDS!

Welcome back to TharPG!

'Tis the season to... not be in season. But who cares? This is Pac-Guy, so nothing makes sense anyway.

So after the last episode, here's a little holiday special before even summer begins:

Was gonna wait until next month for the "Christmas in July" joke, but eh, I'm impatient.

So now that that's out of the way, let's move on to something that takes the original up a notch. Basically, imagine taking that character from the previous game and give him... a BIGGER GUN.

Yeah, this ain't a joke. This is literally Pac-Man on steroids... on steroids. Granted, the levels are much smaller and there are much fewer of them, but the enemies are upgraded and each shot is explosive. But what you wouldn't expect from something as spin-offish as this is the ending which ties it to the sequel...

Watch to the end and stay tuned!

Edited by Thar

This is just wild. I didn't expect more of this to exist but here we are.

The music and sound effects are so unironically great and it baffles me

7 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

This is just wild. I didn't expect more of this to exist but here we are.

The music and sound effects are so unironically great and it baffles me

There's like 10 games in the series, 4 of which I've never played as a kid, so those will be interesting.

Also, forgot to mention: the second level in Atomic Edition is supposed to have music. Not sure why it wasn't playing. Must've glitched it out by dying within the first two seconds, lol

tharpglogo.png

Pac-Guy 2: First Contact - Sphere vs. Alien Spheres and Other Alien Shapes!

I never thought I'd be putting this out as much as I am, but I couldn't think of any better way.

Ladies, gentlemen, and all others in between, I give you an actual sequel to Pac-Guy:

I'll let the video speak for itself. Again, I'll answer any questions you guys have, cause I'm sure you have many. Enjoy!

Edited by Thar

I can't get over "There's a doin' going on"

This was actually pretty legit. Makes me wonder how difficult it is without getting the secrets.

Somehow I knew Kan was behind all this! That rat bastard!

20 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I can't get over "There's a doin' going on"

This was actually pretty legit. Makes me wonder how difficult it is without getting the secrets.

They certainly weren't wrong.

and yeah, I remember this one in particular being especially hard for me when I was younger. I thought about doing a run without secrets, but I just didn't feel like it.

20 hours ago, Yui said:

Somehow I knew Kan was behind all this! That rat bastard!

DAMN YOU, KAN! *violently shakes fist in the air*

tharpglogo.png

Pac-Guy 2: Part 2 - Pagoon - KAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Hello again! I'm back with another strange and obscure installment of Pac-Guy. Here we have the second part of the sequel, right after the suspenseful cliffhanger that was left on the last video.

Again, hope you enjoy!

Edited by Thar

That's freaking Megaman at 3:30 isn't it.

Honestly thrown off how much more polished these get as they made more. Though it looked like this part was a lot easier than last barring that rock thing.

11 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

That's freaking Megaman at 3:30 isn't it.

Honestly thrown off how much more polished these get as they made more. Though it looked like this part was a lot easier than last barring that rock thing.

You fuckin know it

And yeah, those rock cannons are a guaranteed couple of deaths, as far as I know

Edited by Thar

tharpglogo.png

Pac-Guy 2: Part 3 - Pacula's Curse - When I said "redneck pacman", I meant it.

Hello again. Sorry this took so long, but this video was a bigger pain in the ass to edit than it was worth.

So instead of giving you a full playthough with the ending after beating the boss, here's the recording where I plowed through it until the final battle. Spoiler alert: I died.

Regardless, as if the earlier games weren't crazy enough, we now have... VOICE ACTING.

This is a long one. Enjoy!

Edited by Thar