radio414

Götterdämmerung [IC/PG-16/COMPLETED]

Edge

Olivander sat opposite Nil, folding his legs inward on each other. "What I think will happen to the island is irrelevant, Lord Nil. And to be honest, I'm not sure why you asked us that." Olivander nodded at Nil as Sir William pecked at the ground. "The purpose of us coming here, from what I can tell, was one of two things: to teach us to accept the things we cannot change, or to convince us to go further next time. Limited though I am, you're right. I should've gone further."

Olivander nodded his head and remembered what he told Kitt. "I'm not a good man. I should've slit the throats of every council member. I should've killed Nuumu's dog myself. And I should've taken the sword from Emily and plunged it into her heart. And yet," Olivander shrugged. "Here I am. At the edge of the world, staring into the void. Quite literally," he said with a laugh.

"Lord Nil, you've made up your mind. And I'm willing to accept that. But to tell me you're doing this as a half measure between your followers and your choice of duty is... such a hollow answer. The purpose of life is death. When existence is born, it must end. You are the end. You don't need followers. You're a different type of god. I don't believe you when you say your followers have anything to do with it."

He lied down on his back and folded his arms behind his head as he stared up into the night. "I think they fulfilled desire within you. We all long for things. Perhaps this is what you longed for, Lord Nil. And having those people praise you only made that longing stronger."

Olivander saw Sir William peer over him, his usual clueless face causing Olivander to break into a smile. "This island is the end because it's meant to be, isn't it? I won't remember any of this when its all over. But I've learned a lot. I've learned, I've loved, and I've made friends. So," Olivander said as he scratched Sir William's chin.

"I'm okay with starting over."

I’m Only Human Pt. 1

I was not created when Naviim ended the first time -- there was always some sect or another craving the apocalypse -- but after such a great calamity, there were bound to be more calling my name, intentionally or not. "The world is ending," they have said. "There is nothing to be done." Then, of course, the world only ended halfway. The gods sacrificed large swaths of their power to save themselves. But even as things have approached a new status quo, that belief has persisted. The world hasn't been brought up to the brink time and time again to my people, it has always been ending, and everyone else is delusional for even pretending it is not.

You ask if I am doing this, then, because it is my duty to my followers or if it is entirely my own doing. It is both, in equal measure, though I do admit a particular glee in welcoming unwitting followers into the fold.

Kitt kept listening intently, though he knew that Nil’s gaze and pause before Olivander spoke made it clear that she was aggravated at him…possibly even irritated. But he knew this was his reasoning, he was being as honest as he could be.

Since you so kindly brought up Galatea, we can start there…

Now came the “judgment”...of course, starting at the beginning of their little journey. Though it truly started with that moment.

Despite your assertion, I am not judging you on any of your particular acts of violence. If you were aiming to hinder my goals, the removal of Simon Weatherson certainly had to be part of that. I will leave it to those who would weigh your heart against a feather to determine if there was a better way than his denouncement and summary execution.

Kitt exhaled slowly, seeing the visage of Simon now within the fire. For a moment, he closed his eyes and there…the moment replayed in his mind…and of course, those words he spoke to Olivander before that moment.

"Attempt to see reason for a moment, Watchdog of Hinder...lest things go in the direction of bloodshed for all parties involved. After all...you of all people know about a simple gamble. You roll the dice, you make a bet...in this situation, you truly would have nothing to lose. In fact...you only gain. But only if you stay your blade..."
"I've watched too many men with evil intentions turn into kings and tyrants who oppress their people and leave them to die. I will not watch it happen again!"

Back then, he never knew what Olivander meant by that, but over time, he knew that the man had gone through quite a lot. Hinder’s Dog never spoke of it, but he could tell…the actions he took, the way he conducted himself and the heart of gold he had towards people. And back then…back then…

“...back then, I didn’t have the strength nor did I have the desire to take a life…” Kitt sighed, muttering to himself. Though he was fairly certain Nil heard every word he spoke there. “...I suppose everyone has to see the retribution of a Watchdog at least once in their lives before the next step can be made…”

Still, Nil went on…

What I am more interested in, however, is everything else. When I think about what you have done for me on Galatea, I think about Rose and Gil, who have been authorized by Nuumu’s watchdog -- one of your colleagues! -- to continue spreading ina͠ni̷s and the rest of Simon Weatherson’s teachings. They might even become my Watchdogs just for that.

“...Nessa…authorized this?” Kitt asked, almost confused. “Gil and Rose…why…why have I never heard these names until now?”

I am not going to speculate on your motives. Nil said I am merely commenting on the actions themselves. Although -- She glanced over at Olive with a smirk -- it is curious as well how you never discussed how Dia's mother of pearl was returned to its pedestal

"The stone was returned to the pedestal?" He seemed more confused now than he was before. "...a question for another moment in time, I suppose..."

She continued once more...

I think about the Religious Council who, in the face of a cult that was slowly eroding the island, staunchly refused to do anything, and how you only let them off with a verbal reprimand. Levanna Marcus has proven stubborn enough to withstand a word of power, do you think she will change her ways? Especially after you forced yourself on her?

Kitt sighed, shaking his head. "We did what we could in regards to those on the Religious Council. What more would you have wanted? If you were expecting us to force our power as Watchdogs against this council...we aren't our predecessors. And as you said, Levanna was a stubborn woman. What could we have done there?"

What would I have you do? Nil raised an eyebrow at that. I would have had you do about exactly what you did. I already said I wasn't going to comment on your motives, and that includes how you did not exercise your political power and influence. If you think the religious council will do something other than maintain Galatea's status quo without being ordered by messengers of the gods themselves, then say so.

"Political power and influence?" Kitt muttered, putting a hand to his chin. This did make him think some, was that something they could've done? While Nil wasn't going to comment on their motives, now HE was second guessing the manner they handled the situation. Kitt was about to speak again, but Nil once again started again, getting him to pause again. Though this time...her eyes almost pierced his soul.

And I think of Emily Briar, a young girl drained of vigor who you have left in a place where she will either spread ina͠ni̷s to would-be worshippers or else she will succumb in front of the embers of a dying flame.

"..." Kitt was silent, truly silent. He stiffened for a moment, only to look away  from the Muse. "...what could i have done? She lost her parents to this stony disease and curse...she couldn't return home. Lar and his hearths were all I could bring her to." He slowly turned back towards Nil. "Would I go back and work with that differently? Yes, as Taros lives, yes I do. If I could, I would've taken her with me...would've offered her the chance to leave. I never said it aloud to anyone, but quietly within my own mind and soul...I do regret that. But..." he paused, before shaking his head. "I believe that Emily wouldn't do either. I hope she wouldn't, but she was one who sought vengeance against Simon and his cult...she wouldn't dare touch that word and spread it through Galatea in the way you suggest."

Do you think her mother meant to say it to her? Or her father to his wife before that? She muttered it to you as well, did she not? Was that intentional as well?

"How else could she explain the situation to us? She could not convey the happenstance of what occurred without speaking it." Kitt questioned. "Is it truly spreading the word if there is no joy or desire to do so behind the words spoken? She had no vigor or even pleasure in speaking that word...not like the vigor and pleasure I've seen with the Watchdogs or even the priests of the deities."

Nil nodded. All that matters is that it is heard.

No matter what was said, it was almost like she had an answer that basically shut him down in his quite solid and sound responses. It was beginning to infuriate the Forge Dog. Though he supposed it was par for the course...he irritated her, she was infuriating him, it balanced out, in his mind. "As for what happens to the island if for the world does not end..." he paused, now addressing this question. "If the world keeps turning, they will need a guiding hand to return back to the place they need to be. Without it, they will fail...the council will continue in their ignorance...the people will continue their laziness. Again, they require a hand to guide them..."

We Have Reason to Be Afraid, This Is a Terrible Place

Nil nodded. It is the same elsewhere else on your travels here, she said. The gods have gifted you power, and some have even given you training, but never the understanding of what it is that power is for. Perhaps you could have lingered on an island longer, but then you might have missed the happenings of other places. The past is sealed from you, there is no returning to it.

The reason I tell you these things, Nil said, is because, despite your assertions to the contrary, I am still only a god. And if you continue to believe otherwise, accept this: It wasn’t a request, it was a command. Like other gods, I cannot directly impact the world. Whispering across the wind and manifesting in certain spots is about all I can do. If I could end the world even with the gods and our rules holding me back, I wouldn’t need you. It would have already happened.

She straightened her back, and she turned her head to face both of them again. “Need” is perhaps too strong a word. But you did have to see how the world was. That is actually something the other gods and I agree on. We only differ in that they thought you had to know of my influence, while I thought you had to see the futility of your actions. I could show you more. I could show you images of Andalou’s inhabitants using Joy to fuel their destructive revel just a little bit longer. I could make you wonder why David placed your coin on an altar or how you spread that law of cycles just a bit further. But I will get to the point. 

My gift to you is perhaps the most impactful thing you can do, to the gods, to Naviim, and, yes, to yourselves as well. It is this: ca̼ͬnt͇ͮ̔͡͡ić̴̨̻̊u̹̾͝ma̷d̮̆ ̪s̝͉̙̉u̡͈̽̒m͜͏̣̅ͯm͝umͤ̀ͅ ͬ̂̚m̌ͯ̓u̡͓͋͟nd̛i̳̞͗. As Nil uttered the completed sentence, the whole lighthouse, no, the whole island shook, reverberating from the impact of the words at play. It took several moments after the utterance for it all to subside. You already know what it does, Nil said. Do with it what you will.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Fourteen Nights At Sea song

As we talked about in the discord, I'm abridging the discussion of the other islands for pace reasons and because Olive and Kitt both, through various ways, have arrived at Nil's intended state of mind. The cliff notes are there, though, and you can always ask me for more of Nil's particular biting remarks in regards to those if you really want. I will provide this to pull back the curtain on the thematic trio, though. Corpus was an island about pushing back the inevitable, kicking it further down the line instead of managing it, while Andalou was about hedonistic accelerationism, a literal "live each day like it's your last, let's party" sort of deal. Destino has one too, but I guess that depends on your choices.

Kitt may need to talk to Olive here? That was also talked about in the discord. I'm not sure what else to put here, honestly. Nil's command is simple enough. Ask questions or follow through with her gift (though I would double-check with the other player if that's the case, don't want to end the world out from under their feet) or reject it or otherwise do as you please. Good luck, but you don't really need it. Again, your characters have heard and seen everything they need. I did not send you here to fail.

-r

Whispers on the Wind

Sir William shuddered frightfully as the island shook. Olivander sat upright, startled and shocked. He thought he understood what Nil wanted, but it only confused him further. As the quaking ceased, Olivander scratched his head and huffed.

"You want the stars to die out but only when we feel it's time? Is that what you're getting at?" Olivander asked as he stared confused at Nil. "You're giving us a lot of swing here," Olivander said, folding his arms. "Actually, no, that would contradict what you said before. Rather," Olivander blinked. "You're giving us the opportunity to go back and use what we learned? About what we missed? What we thought we knew? That's..."

Olivander paused. Truly, he had no idea what Lord Nil wanted. He scratched his head some more and closed his eyes as he tried to think. After a few brief moments, Olivander threw his arms up and crashed back onto the ground. "I know what you're allowing us to do, I think. But now I'm frustrated. To understand just how many people I've failed. And thinking of the consequences. Maybe I'm not the right one for the job," he admitted.

"But I also don't wanna screw it up again. How do I know everything I'm about to try again is going to be the very last step? How do I know there's not some stone unturned? It seems fruitless. I'll just end up back here, staring into Oblivion. Er, no offense, my Lord."

Olivander could feel the tension around him. "Kitt," he said as he turned to his friend. "I need your advice here. I dunno what to do mate."

The gods have gifted you power, and some have even given you training, but never the understanding of what it is that power is for. Perhaps you could have lingered on an island longer, but then you might have missed the happenings of other places. The past is sealed from you, there is no returning to it.

Kitt remained silent, staying his tongue as Nil spoke further. She did have a good point, however. If she truly wanted to end this world that they resided in, she wouldn't need them, it just would've happened. But at the same time...everything seemed like...a contradiction right now. He kept quiet, just listening...it was the one thing he was good at and it was the thing he did at every island they visited...waited...listened...took in all the information he could.

"Kitt. I need your advice here. I dunno what to do mate."

I'm Only Human Pt. 2

"First..." he said, holding out an arm and hand towards his friend. "...you stand up. Regardless of being in the presence of a deity...it's bad manners to be seen like this. Remember...we're Watchdogs of Taros...and of Hinder. And I'd wager, Hinder wouldn't want to see his Dog in such a state." Once the arm was grabbed, Kitt hoisted and pulled his friend back on his feet.

"Listening to everything that was said...what was explained..." Kitt began, pointing in the direction of Galatea. "Galatea was of sloth and ignorance...a lack of wanting to do anything. That word of power also drained the hearers of their will to fight onward. Using our political power and influence, basically asserting ourselves could've changed things...it could have..."

Then, he pointed in the direction of Corpus. "The Law of Cycles was used on Corpus...back then, we could've used said word of power...in theory and possibility, to prolong what was to come with Mount Vermeer. However, we chose to manage what it was...namely due to the fact that we knew not what a word of power would do to us as Watchdogs, we erred on the side of caution. But nevertheless, we did what we thought was right on this island."

Lastly, he pointed in the direction they came from: Andalou. "As for that one...they simply lived each day as their last. A noble thought, but in the way and manner they were doing it, it was down right distasteful. They accelerated this general thought to the point where it became unhealthy." Kitt exhaled slowly, looking at Olivander, then at Nil...and finally back at the horizon. "Why do I say all this? Why repeat everything you've basically said? Simple...to point out something...something that the gods knew since the beginning: we're only human...we're only mortal." he paused, before shaking his head slightly. "No...they're only human..." He glanced as he looked at his hand, opening and closing it a few times before smiling softly. "I never was...at least...not fully. I am, however, Taros' greatest creation. Of that, I have the highest pride for."

Turning back towards the two, before putting his hand on Olivander's shoulder. "At any point in time, she could have done it, as she said...but at the same time...it's like you said as well...she's contradicted herself in her words. Why give these words to us? Why give them to us after everything we went through?" he looked at Nil, shaking his head slightly. "The past is in the past...yes, we know the Law of Cycles and can invoke it, but to what end? What we did, we could change it, but it would betray who we are as individuals. What's in the past, remains in the past...it forges us into the men we are today...and if we try to change it, then we basically prevent ourselves from ever reaching that point."

"I'll accept my mistakes...but I won't say those words." Kitt smiled simply. "The gods wouldn't have just sent us here to end the world. I wholeheartedly believe that. And as you once told me, Olive..." he said, glancing at his friend. "...I can guide you, but in the end, it must be you to make that final decision on your own. It has to be something you trust yourself with. Trust your instincts and your heart...savvy?"

Scurvy

Olivander dusted himself off as he stood. He knew Kitt was right. He had to accept that. With a heavy sigh, he finally responded. "Mate, I fucked up pretty good," he said with a laugh. "Yeah. Savvy. I appreciate your help, Kitt. I know I'll need it."

Olivander turned to Lord Nil but couldn't quite find the words to express what he wanted to. "I guess, thanks Lord Nil. For a better understanding of what it is that I was missing," he managed to say. "I suppose then, we should be going. Perhaps, back to the beginning? Back to Galatea," Olivander said firmly. As the name of the island left his lips, Olivander felt anger creep up his spine. His mind wandered back to Simon and all the damage he had done. Then to the council. Now, he was eager.

"Yeah. I'd like to start there. That is, of course," he said as he turned back to Kitt. "If you're prepared and willing."

Sir William offered an encouraging cluck to Kitt and Olivander, still none the wiser to the depths of everything happening around him.

"Yes, my good cock. There's much to do. I'll need your help as well," Olivander replied. "Shall we go?"

Spitting Off The Edge Of The World

There was a long silence as Olive and Kitt gave their answers. Even the flicker of the fire seemed to disappear. Nil stayed entirely motionless, as though pondering exactly what to say. Outside the lighthouse was a different story. Both Olive and Kitt became keenly aware of the sounds the creaking lighthouse mirrors and conversation had drowned out, from the sound of a cool nighttime breeze to insects hiding in the fog. Their awareness stretched outwards even further, to the sound of crewmembers working on the deck of the Swallow Tail or the idle chatter as they did so. It expanded outwards even further than that, to Andalou, to Corpus and Nieuw, to Galatea, and beyond to islands even further east until they were at least vaguely aware, on some level, of all of Naviim. This, all this, is what you have been assigned. You need to understand that too. Nil seemed to say, but the words did not manifest themselves out loud.

Perhaps Nil should have been frustrated by the watchdogs’ impertinence, and indeed, her lips did purse as Olive slowly pulled himself back to his feet, but it slowly turned into a smirking sort of grin instead. That’s it, then? she said. Knowing what you do about the world, you still insist on fighting onward? All these things I have threatened, they will come to pass. I can only ask you now the question I asked when we first started this conversation: What matter of pride makes you think you can save the world?

No, perhaps that is not the question I should ask. She stood up and kept her gaze forward. Let me ask this instead: What will you do, then? I have heard your mentions of returning to the start of your journey and trying again, but what about after that? And after that? Tell me about the future you are trying to protect.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Yeah Yeah Yeahs song.

Unless there are questions or last-minute developments, this may be the last post you make in this RP. That's why this post is on the short side, it's basically the last post cut in half to allow for you two to get an epilog. I expect two things out of your posts here: reaffirming your stance against merely standing by and letting the indignities of the world come to pass, and, you know, actually answering Nil's question. I can rephrase it another way here, if you like: Where do you/your character see themselves in five or ten years? When you inevitably pass on your watchdog powers and responibilities to the next generation, will you use that as an excuse to stop fighting?

As has always been the case, let me know if you need anything.

-r

Elementary, Watson

"It's simple, really," Olivander said as Lord Nil posed her question. "The future I want to protect is the one I've not yet seen or experienced. At first, I was ready to accept that there was no hope. But Kitt, and yourself, have instilled in me a reason to look to things I've yet to know. So long as there is more for me to live for--even knowing that all things must one day end--I will protect that."

His smile returned as he faced Lord Nil and folded his arms. His chest puffed out as he affirmed, "I'm a watchdog of Hinder, after all. This is probably the biggest gamble I've ever taken."

Sir William let loose a mighty sqawk to accompany Olivander's triumphant claim. "You've shown me enough, Lord Nil. The time is now. We must act. And who knows? When we right things, maybe there's more cake to be had. Maybe I can help Kitt find the love of a woman," Olivander joked. "Or, a fellow, if that's where your wind blows," Olivander went on. "Regardless, there's much to do. And, Lord Nil, I like to think you're looking forward to this yourself. I imagine it's quite amusing to watch people, the world over, doing so many manic things. All the while, you know what's coming. It must be like a game for you. In which case, I'm a renewed, willing player."

Olivander was itching to get back to the Swallow Tail now. "Well, Kitt?" Olivander said with a ridiculous smirk. "Ready to ride?"

"Mate, I fucked up pretty good. Yeah. Savvy. I appreciate your help, Kitt. I know I'll need it. I guess, thanks Lord Nil. For a better understanding of what it is that I was missing. I suppose then, we should be going. Perhaps, back to the beginning? Back to Galatea Yeah. I'd like to start there. That is, of course. If you're prepared and willing."

And Now...The End is Near...

"Going back to check up on everyone as well as doing things right..." Kitt smirked, nodding at his friend. "...fix the mistakes we had prior, I'm sure we can work with that. Just try not to cause a scene with Levanna and the guards again." He jabbed the shoulder of Olivander, poking fun at him. "After that, we'll figure out how to work with Corpus...and fixing that one to allow everyone to come back to live there, well...at least the ones who left."

The silence, however, was strong. Kitt glanced and noticed that Nil remained there motionless, seeming...unsure of what she was going to say, pondering like. Though now, the silence became more... He could hear, the lighthouse creaking, the cool nighttime breeze and insects and even the crew mates of the Swallow Tail...no...it was more. Andalou...Corpus...Nieuw...Galatea...and further beyond.

This, all this, is what you have been assigned. You need to understand that too.

And So I Face...The Final Curtain...

That’s it, then? Knowing what you do about the world, you still insist on fighting onward? All these things I have threatened, they will come to pass. I can only ask you now the question I asked when we first started this conversation: What matter of pride makes you think you can save the world? No, perhaps that is not the question I should ask. Let me ask this instead: What will you do, then? I have heard your mentions of returning to the start of your journey and trying again, but what about after that? And after that? Tell me about the future you are trying to protect.

Just as many times before, before Kitt could speak, his friend spoke first...perhaps it was for the best he started it.

"The future I want to protect is the one I've not yet seen or experienced. At first, I was ready to accept that there was no hope. But Kitt, and yourself, have instilled in me a reason to look to things I've yet to know. So long as there is more for me to live for--even knowing that all things must one day end--I will protect that. I'm a watchdog of Hinder, after all. This is probably the biggest gamble I've ever taken. You've shown me enough, Lord Nil. The time is now. We must act. And who knows? When we right things, maybe there's more cake to be had. Maybe I can help Kitt find the love of a woman. Or, a fellow, if that's where your wind blows. Regardless, there's much to do. And, Lord Nil, I like to think you're looking forward to this yourself. I imagine it's quite amusing to watch people, the world over, doing so many manic things. All the while, you know what's coming. It must be like a game for you. In which case, I'm a renewed, willing player."

He let out a slight chuckle. "Something tells me, that fellow thing might be more your alley, my friend." Kitt finally did put two and two together after noticing a few things, surprising the Watchdog of Hinder if anything. "I may have been born and created at night, but it surely wasn't last night, Olive."

However, Kitt finally looked back at Nil. "Like Olivander said...why does this surprise you? You told us that you knew how this would end up. But, Lord Nil, I suppose I'll humor you nevertheless." He exhaled slowly, hand resting on his hip slightly. "Lord of the Void and Oblivion, for all the things that you threatened...yes...in time they will come to pass. But today is not the day when that judgment will be passed. As I said before, if it was, then our patrons wouldn't have led us on this journey and mission to begin with. It would seem rather pointless if they had us go through everything they had us do just to tell us nothing mattered, wouldn't it?"

Who said I was surprised? Nil said. As to your question, perhaps the idea that nothing matters is the point. I told you then too that I do not mean to speculate on the affairs of the other gods, but if you believe it perhaps it is so.

And More, Much More Than This…

"I suppose...but even so..." Kitt continued, his smile remaining nevertheless. "I'll be honest...I DON'T know if we can save the world. That's the future, the unknown...and that's the beauty of it. Experience the unknown and find out that everything we've done meant something. That we truly achieved something, not just for our patrons, but for ourselves. It's like forging and crafting a weapon. You can plan it, you can prep it…but in the grand scheme of it all, you never know if it'll truly encapsulate your vision until it's finally done."

A pause came upon him, a small snicker escaping his lips. "Heh...sometimes, you have to be a bit selfish, from what I've learned from a certain thief...and I believe this is that moment and part to be." He looked beyond Nil, towards the edge of the lighthouse, towards the horizon. "As for what we'll do after returning to Galatea and taking care of it? We'll travel and revisit the other islands we stepped foot on...and after that? Truth be told, I wish to continue to travel with my friend and ally here...to my surprise, Taros and Hinder work pretty well together, all things considered. What may life have in store after? That's for the gods to decide." Another chuckle escaped his lips. "Honestly...now I'll choose to live my life in the moment. I...don't know how long my type live...homunculi...I did age properly as a young child to now, but afterwards...I know not and Lord Taros has not deemed to tell me, but perhaps that's for the best." His eyes looked wistfully, full of longing. "I will say this...the day when Taros no longer requires me as a Watchdog, I will do something better than my mentor did...I'll still be a tool for my Master Forger. I'll train the next generation of Watchdogs to Taros, and I'll keep myself sharpened, lest I fall into the same trap he did. My knowledge of these events will be passed down to my successor, to give them a Dog's point of view and experiences. But their story will remain unwritten..."

His eyes, surveyed along the horizon, even making movements to pass near the lighthouse mirrors. There, he could feel the nighttime air, his eyes closing as he honestly thought about everything he had done...everything he accomplished himself. This journey...it made him grow more than he originally thought it would. As if carried by the nighttime wind, Kitt could hear something that he knew not of...but he knew it was the sounds of the forge. When this was, that was the question he knew not the answer to. One assumption, the biggest one anyway...

My future, perhaps? Kitt thought, hearing the sounds of the hammer hitting the iron. A simple smile emerged on his face as he turned back towards Nil and gave a look of both acceptance and even...a sort of calmness. "Lord of the Ever-coming Oblivion..." he began. "...I believe our futures, unwritten as they may be, we will be fine. As will the people that live upon this land of Naviim. As I've been acquainted with those on Corpus...mortals are resilient...they survive. We've survived up to this point...and we will continue to survive. And when it's all said and done...we'll say we saved and led this world...and..."

"We Did It Our Way"

The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die

Alright, Nil said. Now, let me tell you what happens next.

These things you have told me, your hopes for the future, both immediate and far-reaching, are not going to come to pass because you merely said them aloud. I would not grant you that even if I could. What you are asking for, above all else, is a better world than this one, and those do not come cheap. I will grant you the time to do so. I will grant you this as well: The words spoken here, are yours and yours alone until your death. It would not be fair for me to simply let someone else end the world in your stead, and you are correct in that I would like to be entertained. But also remember that we are still opposed. I grant you these things and nothing more.

Nil’s form started to fade away; each passing word turned her more and more transparent. She spoke with the same even tone she had through her entire conversation with the watchdogs, though now, perhaps, there was a hint of wry amusement. It’s easy to defy me when I’m right in front of you, when there’s someone here explaining the stakes. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts out there facing the rest of the world. I am not alleviating the work required of you at all. If anything, knowledge of me surely only piles on more difficulty. After all, I only need you to slip up once. I only need one single moment of weakness. If anyone can avoid it, I suppose it would be you two, but even so, you had best stick together.

Her last words before she disappeared entirely were, I’m leaving you the fire. Take good care of it. And indeed, while the form she had taken had disappeared, the flickering lighthouse flame remained, as did the lighthouse, the island, and the rest of the world.

The sounds of life returned to the island. There were crickets chirping in the grasses below. Even with their small size and distance, they were still present against the towering lighthouse mirrors and the crackle of the bonfire, carried by the breeze to those who needed to hear it. Carried, too, was Captain Helmsley’s voice. “Oi! You alright up there? Had a bit of a scare with all the shaking and I think the ship’s a little banged up, but we can make do if you have something that needs doing!” After a moment’s pause, he added, “Take your time, though! Whatever you need!”

The sun peeked over the eastern horizon, and the rest of the morning started to blot out the night, ushering forth a new day. As Kitt and Olive looked out to the west, though, to the edge of the world where Naviim met the sky, they could still, for the moment, see an innumerable number of stars.

THE END

OOC

Spoiler
Spoiler

Subtitle is a band, yes the band is just called that

335 posts later, this is it, huh? To be honest, I never thought I'd get this far at all. When first posted the OOC thread, my goal was simply, "Alright, if we can get through Galatea, if we can complete one single story arc, I'll be happy." I know how these things tend to go, and didn't want to get ahead of myself with anticipation. Still, I knew how I wanted things to go. I had a very specific idea in mind when creating this, and while the world has changed a lot in the 30 months and 6 days this RP has been running, that has remained constant.

The world is ending, but we don't have to let it. It hasn't ended yet. Put more simply: Better things are still possible.

I'm going to leave the discord up for a week or two just in case there is any lingering chatter. I know once I finish writing this I'm going to say thank you to both of you again for sticking around, for example, even if I say it here. Thank you for sticking around. I don't know what the future has in store for the rest of my life, but I'm glad this was part of it.

To close this out, a final little thing from Tony Kushner's play Angels in America:

The fountain's not flowing now; they turn it off in the winter -- ice in the pipes. But in the summer, it is a sight to see. I want to be around to see it. I plan to be. I hope to be. This disease will be the end of many of us, but not nearly all. The dead will be commemorated, and we'll struggle on with the living, and we are not going away. We won't die secret deaths anymore. The world only spins forward. We will be citizens. The time has come.

Bye now. You are fabulous, each and every one. And I bless you: More life!

The Great Work begins.

-r

Edited by radio414