radio414

Götterdämmerung [IC/PG-16/COMPLETED]

Amir nodded, though a bit taken aback by Emily stepping out of the room. He had hoped that she would be willing to present the experiences of the day to Levanna with him. Perhaps he expected too much. She had just lost her mother, her last living parent, and had just had her first experience deciphering visions from Myria. The fact that she had even come with him here was more than he should've asked. After Neasa departed, Amir turned back to Levanna, a woman he still did not trust. He couldn't help but feel like she was hiding something. Or, maybe he just hadn't given her a chance to be transparent with him yet. It was hard to tell where his own paranoia ended and true corruption began.

"I apologize for not being present today. The guiding hands of fate steered me in another direction." Amir gave a soft smile at his own statement. He actually sounded like a real watchdog for once. "Maybe you already know the story that I am about to tell, but there had to have been a reason that Myria wanted me to learn of it the way I did. So, I beg you to be patient with me."

Amir recounted the events of the day. He told Levanna about the visions he had received this morning. The crowd huddled around the burning pyre. The faceless man. The indecipherable and deafening thrum. He spoke of the Briars and watching Emily's mother turn to stone. He recounted her last words and of his suspicion of a curse on Galatea. He felt hesitant to talk about Emily's visions, they were her's, after all. 

"I feel as though Ms. Briar is at the epicenter of all this somehow. I guided her through a meditation this afternoon and the strings of fate are tied into a tight knot around that woman. She spoke to me about a man named Simon. He is of concern to you, yes?" 

Amir leaned back in his chair. Only now did he realize how tired he was. He had barely felt the day passing but now it felt like an eternity before he had last rested. 

Levanna of the Council

Levanna listened intently as Amir went through his experiences of the day, only speaking when he was finally finished, and even that was simply a “Well, you certainly have had a busy day then, hm?” She slid the plate of biscuits over Amir’s way. “Take one, please. And do sit down; you look a little silly just standing there in the middle of the room.”

She leaned back in her chair then, adjusting some of her old joints as she did so. “These are some very concerning things you have told me, and I do commend you for telling me all of this,” Levanna said. “I don’t mean to insult you, though, when I say that your breath might have better been saved on something else. All of this, unfortunately, are things we on the religious council already know. Many- no, most, if not all of the conclusions you might draw from such information are things we have either confirmed or thought of as well. Simon, his actions, and the consequences of those actions are all things that are of immense concern to us, and we are doing as best we can to limit them.”

Her attention turned to the used teacups scattered around, mostly on her desk, though there were a few elsewhere. She got up and walked around, gathering them together on the tray they had come in on before taking them out to be washed. It was good to know what the watchdogs knew, Levanna pondered, even if it was all things she already did as well.

Levanna came back just in time to catch two of the other watchdogs coming back to her office, the Taros dog first with the younger dog, Dia’s coming in behind. She quickly beckoned them back inside. “Fruitful days, I hope? Come in, come in. There is one more of you inside, and I don’t know when I would gather the majority of you all in my office again if not now.” She led them all back to her office, though she didn’t bother sitting down again.

“I’m sure there are so many things you have to tell me, but first, while I have you, I feel like I should address the situation of your lodgings. And the answer is well, you can either go to your respective temples, who I’m sure would be honored to accommodate you, or you can go to one of the taverns -- directions are easy, just go down the road a ways -- and, if they don’t make a room for you when you mention your occupation, well, I’m sure my name will do just as well in that situation.

“If you see one of your fellows, be sure to tell them the same for me, would you?” Levanna said. “But, as I said, I’m sure you came back here with questions as well. Everyone else seems to; it’s the curse of being on the council. What can I do for you all?

Emily Briar of Galatea

Emily’s first question was not exactly related to her business but she asked it anyway. “Simon is not in there?” And it wasn’t that she didn’t believe the watchdog, but she did peek through the doors of the temple as well to double-check. “Maybe he is in the back,” Emily said. “Or he is at some follower’s house. I would not know. But…” She turned around, “in regards to my business with you, I was wondering about your preparations regarding my parents. Have you arranged something with the temple of Taros or his watchdog?”

“Not yet. I didn't get the chance to enter the temple earlier, and haven't spoken with Taros’ watchdog since making it to Galatea,” the watchdog said. “I should have no trouble finding him tonight though, and will tell him to pass it on to his followers that we'll need their help to handle these statues once the root of the problem is taken care of.”

“I see,” Emily said. She wasn’t sure about a lot of what had just been said, but she tried to not let it show. Of course a watchdog would be busy with other matters on the island, and of course her concerns would be left by the wayside. It didn’t mean she wouldn’t try to check back in tomorrow, though.

Still, something else bothered her. It wasn’t Nuumu related, though, if she continued down her line of thinking, it was probably Nuumu-adjacent. Emily turned back around and pushed open the doors to the old Medeis temple one more time. She didn’t expect to see anything new, but there was a spark of familiarity in the old temple ruins. This, Emily realized, was what had appeared in her dream. It wasn’t an exact match -- the lack of sculpture in the pews was the most obvious -- but it was close enough.

Emily let out a breath and faced the Nuumu watchdog one more time. Her mind, she realized, had already been made up, all this had done was confirm it. “I imagine I should say this now,” she said. “Nuumu is not the god of death, of course, but he is death-adjacent, and if I tried to keep this from you, you would likely find out eventually anyway. I appreciate everything you have done so far in efforts to fulfill my second request of you -- to let my mother’s soul be at peace. And I am sure that yours will be the ultimate effort that guides her -- and my father, and everybody else this has happened to -- to the afterlife. But in the meantime, there is one thing, I have realized, that can at least soothe mine, and that is to deal with the person responsible.

“I am going to kill Simon Weatherson,” Emily said, “and I am asking you to stay out of my way.”

And she was off, running along the perimeter of the square before rounding a corner, then another, looking back to make sure she wasn’t being followed at every turn. The night was coming in, and there were still things she needed to do.

OOC

Spoiler

Might be my own impatience, but I'm working towards this next round of posts being the last of the current day. To that end, I evoked Host fiat to move Kitt and Finn to Levanna's office (which I assume was fine, given both of your posts said they were going that way?). It'd be nice, too, if you asked your questions to Levanna in DMs, though I won't stop you if think it your post won't work as well without it, obviously. Just know this is probably the actual actual last scene of the day.

With regards to Neasa, I wasn't sure if she was going to try and chase after Emily or continue staking out the old Medeis temple (or whatever else you want Neasa doing, Yui) but a similar thing goes, I guess. I will say up front it's unlikely you're going to see either Emily or Simon tonight, though. Keep me in the loop.

Or show up in my DMs to complain. Same goes to the rest of you too, I guess. That's always an option.

❤️

Untitled.png

“I imagine I should say this now. Nuumu is not the god of death, of course, but he is death-adjacent, and if I tried to keep this from you, you would likely find out eventually anyway. I appreciate everything you have done so far in efforts to fulfill my second request of you -- to let my mother’s soul be at peace. And I am sure that yours will be the ultimate effort that guides her -- and my father, and everybody else this has happened to -- to the afterlife. But in the meantime, there is one thing, I have realized, that can at least soothe mine, and that is to deal with the person responsible. I am going to kill Simon Weatherson, and I am asking you to stay out of my way.”

And then Emily ran off. She was going to take the life of another, out of revenge. Under these exceptional circumstances, it was - as some may argue - a fair trade. In exchange for so many souls never finding their way to Ashwood, there would be one damned soul sent there to pay the price for his crimes. Except, that wasn't how it worked at all. Based on Levanna's explanation from earlier, knowing about this Inanis meant being denied your afterlife. It would at least cut out the problem at its heart, and all that would be left after would be damage control, and keeping the knowledge from spreading. Levanna and her council were probably better-suited for that kind of work than a young watchdog who just got here today.

For now, the best course of action would be to update the other watchdogs on... most of what she'd learned today. Especially Kitt, since he would probably be instrumental to the cleanup of all this. The problem would be finding him. Or so she thought. As it turned out, he too was at the temple square. Upon spotting him, Neasa picked up her pace, stepping up by the fellow watchdog's side.

"We've got a problem," she frankly stated.

Upon Kitt's return to Levanna's office, he found himself having a bit of a tagalong...it was the Watchdog of Nuumu, Nessa. "Evening...surprised to see you still up and about right now." he chuckled.

"We've got a problem."

"This shouldn't even surprise me anymore..." Kitt sighed, still walking as he crossed his arms. "What kind of problem?"

"I mean that there's more to Simon Weatherson's faith than meets the eye. This end he worships is tampering with the afterlives of anyone aware of it, not to mention it's presumably turning people into statues. Once we've settled the score with him, on that note, I'll need to ask a favor of you and your faithful."

"Hmmm...so there was more to it." Kitt nodded slowly, rubbing his chin. "I suppose us going to the religious council meeting tomorrow is a good thing...us Watchdogs may need to stir up a bit of change around here. ...first things first...get what we can out of Levanna." He then glanced over at the girl, before nodding with a small smile. "As for the favor, my steel is at your service, Watchdog of Nuumu."

"Steel is good and well, but we need a forge. The pyres in the temple of Nuumu aren't fit to cremate statues."

"A figure of speech, but I see why you'd make that misunderstanding. Regardless, I believe Taros will be willing to assist in this manner."

Kitt along with Nessa did finally return back to Levanna's office, but the Watchdog of Taros spoke not a word...he waited for the right moment to speak. And when it finally came, after speaking on lodgings, Kitt jumped on the chance.

"I’m sure you came back here with questions as well. Everyone else seems to; it’s the curse of being on the council. What can I do for you all?"

"I spoke with Aiden...why are you and the rest of the council allowing Simon to continue his teachings when it's obvious they lead to suffering and possibly death?"

Levanna's smile faltered, but only for an instant. "What would you have us do?" she said. "Simon Weatherson, when teaching, is supposed to be confined to Medeis' temple. You saw how we had guards angling to remove them from Taros as they spilled out. And these are temporary measures anyway. He'll get his own temple, and that will be that."

Kitt only continued. "I've been told this has been going on for a while now...but at this point, this temple isn't going to be a necessary thing. When will you stop this from occurring? This is something that is messing with the natural order."

"Again," Levanna said, "what would you have us do?"

"What I believe you and the council should do is to stop this from happening. You are the religious council here on Galatea...you have to actually think about what the gods want for the people here. If you are frightened by this individual who is praising oblivion...then you or anyone else in the council do not deserve the right to be in the positions you're in." It was obvious Kitt was not really enjoying this game or whatever that Levanna was playing, but he was determined to have his peace said.

She was dumbstruck at that, at least for a little while. But, eventually, Levanna did speak. "I am going to tell you what I told another watchdog earlier today. Do not think of us that we aren't doing what is best for our island. We've known it for longer than you. If you have any further complaints, I suggest you air them tomorrow morning."

Kitt stared at Levanna for a few moments, feeling every inch of his body tense up greatly just from the sheer emotions he was feeling. He didn't speak for a long while, but finally only spoke two words. "With pleasure." With that, Kitt bid his hostess and his fellow Watchdogs a good night, before making his way back to Taros' temple. He felt like he'd need to meditate a lot before he could go to sleep at this point.

Amir chewed thoughtfully on the biscuit. Again, only now did he realize he hadn't eaten all day. He had only been this focused a handful of times before in his life, each time when following one of the many threads of fate that Myria weaved into the fabric of his life. He may not have uncovered anything new, but that did not bother him. He had been set upon this path for some reason. He trusted that Myria wouldn't lead him astray. And he was beginning to trust that he would make the right decisions at her behest. 

"Well, thank you for your time, at least," Amir said, getting up from the chair. Levanna seemed genuine enough, he hoped that Galatea's government could be better trusted than the one he grew up in. 

Levanna gave instruction for their accommodations, Amir nodded, eager to return to his temple. As he was leaving, he looked back on Levanna. "I know I've already said it, but Emily is important. I hope you'll do right by her." Having said his peace, Amir walked back out into Galatea, finding his way back to the temple. The light of the sun was practically gone from the sky, but he could still see a few dark outlines of clouds overhead. He inhaled deeply and exhaled the weight of the day. 

He was greeted by the same elder at the temple who led him to a private chamber where he could rest. He gave him thanks and was left alone with his thoughts.

Amir thought about the events of the day, why he was in Galatea in the first place, and what the coming days would bring. As the scent of lavender gently dulled his senses he could feel the presence of Myria in his mind. Not as a vision or as a prophecy, but as comfort. Fate, and the hands that guided it, he was beginning to understand did not often make drastic moves. He was just one pebble cast into a river.

"You just wanted me to show Emily her fate," Amir's voice was low and strangled by the sleep that was consuming his thoughts. Amir did not know what his future held, but he did not think he would spend another night with the other watchdogs. Their story was different than his.

The Shape of Water

The only ones left in the room were Levanna and Finn, which was just fine by Finn. In his left pocket was the mother of pearl, in his right was the gem representing all of Galatea’s water, and the fewer people around who could find that out, the better. Not that he intended on telling Levanna anything of the sort either, especially not when he had other questions on his mind. The first was “Who’s Wendell? I was down -” Revealing that sort of information, where he’d been, was giving a bit too much, Finn decided, and he just managed to cut himself off. “I heard the name while I was out and about and it seemed important so I figured I would ask.”

“Which Wendell?” Levanna raised an eyebrow at Finn’s verbal backspacing but didn’t question it, at least out loud. “Wendell… the doctor? Wendell… the dockworker? There are enough Wendells, you’re going to have to be a bit more specific.”

She laughed. “That’s why I got a less common name. Not too many people named Levanna anymore. You hear that name, you think of me. But no, Wendell is common enough I can’t help you there, unfortunately.”

“Hmmmmmmm.” Finn said “hm” in that exaggerated way where he began a bit too loud and held on for a bit too long, before coming back up for air with an “Okay!” and a “Second question then, kind of a repeat, but would Galatea like its own ocean?”

Levanna frowned. “Why are you asking that again? If I remember, I made my stance -- and therefore, the island’s as a whole -- perfectly clear the last time. No, we do not; Dia has blessed us in other ways.”

“Sure, sure,” Finn said. “I was just wondering -- just a thought that came to mind. A lot can change over the course of half a day and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Well, if you do think the people are asking for an ocean, you probably won’t even have to find me. I’ll be right there with you.” He left quickly after he finished, trying not to give Levanna any time to even think about what exactly he meant. Because she would… Tomorrow, she would.

When did it get so dark outside? Finn wondered. It had already been late afternoon when he found his way back, sure, but there had been enough light in Levanna’s office to make him lose track. Not that it was too big a deal; he already had his destination in mind and he already knew how to get there. Tavern, schmavern, he wanted to see Dia again and tell her all about his day. He wanted to lie by the pool they’d given her, cause some ripples, and fall asleep pretending the lapping of the water against the walls was the sound of the tide.

Plus, in the morning, there would no doubt be all sorts of people at Dia’s temple ready to sing her praises. Finn imagined that almost-barren shell he’d been at before just lush with activity. Most of it, hopefully, would be the worship Dia so desperately needed, though he could forgive a few chatters off to the side. So long as people were there, Finn thought, she would be okay. It was with these thoughts that he pushed against the temple doors, and was met with…

“Greetings,” someone said. “I am sure you are wondering what we are all doing here, especially so late at night. My name is Simon Weatherson. I was wondering if we could have a little chat…”

Notes from Captain Helmsley’s Logbook

What a fine sunrise I woke up to this day. The colors were especially vivid, and while “red sky in the morning, sailors take warning” is one of those phrases I’m expected to believe in in this line of work, I still can’t help but take such a sunrise as a blessing.

My appreciation was interrupted by one of the dogs I’ve been escorting -- Amir, I think his name was -- coming to me early asking about passage East. It seems he had been called separately from the rest, and now had been urged back towards that rising sun to the island of Delft. I found myself unable to leave this island while there are so many other watchdogs who may need passage onwards, but I did assist them in commissioning a small ship of their own to start their voyage. I am sure, of course, that our paths will cross again one day.

What else can be said? All the shipments we had been assigned were unloaded yesterday, but like I said, without a heading from the dogs still remaining on the island, I hesitate to weigh anchor. I am sure if I am restless enough I will take a visit to the Temple Square like I wrote as we arrived, but for now, I think I will make small talk with the dockworkers and wait to see what the day has in store for me.

OOC

Spoiler

Good morning, Galatea! Welcome to Day Two, and a special welcome to Olive as he rejoins the fray. Much less of an introduction this time as it seems most, if not all of you had the Religious Council Meeting at the top of your agenda already, and I didn't want to distract from that. At the same time, I didn't throw out an introduction to the meeting just yet for a couple reasons. First, although I can guess that that's where you're all headed, I'm not sure, and unlike other times where I would just assume and pull you in anyway, the start of the day seems like it'd be a good time to let you all establish yourselves.

The second reason is it gives you a chance to verbally explain things to the other PCs over, say breakfast that they wouldn't already know (though of course, "so and so filled them in on the events of yesterday" would also be acceptable). Just to get everyone on mostly the same page. I expect this to be more of a "this is the situation, what are you going to do about it?" sort of day than an information gathering one, and "which of these watchdogs knows what?" is a situation I'd like to be nipped in the bud. The island has enough mysteries as it is.

Speaking of mysteries, when you feel you have solved enough of them and done the best you can for Galatea, if I haven't already noticed, just let me know and the Swallow Tail will be ready to fly you away. If "destroying the island" is your solution, I'd recommend getting on the zeppelin first.  I will say I think you have most of them; there's one more connection I don't think you've made (or it hasn't been expressed to me that you've made it), but I'm sure it's fine.

It's fine!

Ah, that's enough of me rambling. Keep in mind the "let me know about using divine power" thing, and as always, if you have any questions or concerns, if you're lost and looking for something to do, feel free to say something in Discord, or even in my DMs and I'll help as soon as I am able.

The morning came soon...almost too soon than he at first thought, but nevertheless, a rested Kitt awoke from his slumber and prepared himself for the day. His meditation already occurring before he exited the private room within Taros' temple. The smell of the hot coals and fire fresh in the air as the temple awakened his senses, as one would say. Before he left, he stopped in front of a roaring fire from one of the forges.

"Your steel is my body and your fire my blood...forge a pathway to understanding and cleave through uncertainty...I am the bone of your sword, you are the Master Forger. So as I pray: Great Forge Maker, Taros." Kitt called forth to his patron. All was silent around him for a good long period of time, only the sounds of the forges burning and even the sounds of the nice morning breeze creeping through the doors and windows.

However, the Watchdog of the Forge Maker didn't budge, only closing his eyes as he faced the burning fire...until he heard something. The fire within the forge began to crackle and roared in quite a different manner. This made a smile appear on Kitt's face, knowing that Taros had heard his prayer and would be granting him the strength needed for today's general issues. And this would be a day he definitely needed assistance with.

With a now burning vigor apparent in his demeanor, Kitt turned and left Taros' temple...preparing to rendezvous with the other Watchdogs over breakfast.

Kitt arrived where the others were found eating and he ended up joining them, sitting down almost immediately and proceeding to partake of the food as well. He stared at both Nessa and then at Olivander, noticing that both Amir and Finn were nowhere to be seen. That was a bit puzzling to the Watchdog of Taros, but nevertheless, he figured this was an intervention from their respective patrons.

Whatever plans they have, I wish the fortune of the gods to them... Kitt thought, before finally coming back in thought to the present moment.

"Today's the religious council meeting. Before we go to this, as Olivander suggested, we should most likely establish what we already know currently about the situation here in Galatea." Kitt began before swallowing some of his drink. "So, which of us wants to start first?"

Untitled.png

"Today's the religious council meeting. Before we go to this, as Olivander suggested, we should most likely establish what we already know currently about the situation here in Galatea. So, which of us wants to start first?"

And what a situation it was.

About twenty minutes ago, Nuumu temple...

It simply didn't make sense. Worshipping oblivion? Simon Weatherson was a natural enemy to Nuumu at that point, but that wasn't what had brought her to her patron's temple. No, she was just here to take in the atmosphere. The ashy grays, the crackling of fire, and the stone floor beneath her feet. She heard from an older monk back home that Nuumu temples used to be built with wooden floors, but a non-zero amount of cases of someone tripping and accidentally causing the whole thing to burn down changed that real quick. Just because they were worshipping a god of the dead, that didn't mean temples devoted to Nuumu had to be blazing death traps.

"What I can't solve is if leaving him for dead is the right thing to do," Neasa pondered, sitting afront a bonfire within the temple that was pretty standard for places of Nuumu worship. If she had a more vocal patron, this would probably be where he'd be best able to communicate with Neasa directly. But instead, Nuumu was apparently the type of god to pick his watchdog, give them divine authority, and then leave them to their own devices. So instead of communicating with her god in the hopes of a response, it was really more like Neasa was talking to herself, trying to review what all she'd learned and how to approach it.

"He is an enemy of the Ashen King, just by simple virtue of his faith. And it would unite him with that nothing he so desires." The hard part was figuring out where the arguments were for keeping him alive. Information? A way to dispel the "curse" would be good. But Simon couldn't be left to run about freely, spreading his accursed beliefs.

"I'll start. The heart of the situation seems to lie with Simon Weatherson, a worshipper of an oblivion of nothing. Because this void is not a god, we can rule out the possibility of having to fight a fellow watchdog, but his faith cannot be allowed to spread. Anyone who hears the name of this void - which I'll have to ask the two of you to not repeat if you know it - effectively loses their right to an afterlife. Instead, their souls simply become nothing. Presumably, the bodies become statues, but I have no proof to back up if this is truly the case, or if Emily Briar's mother had other problems as well."

The statues. That was another important part.

"It seems that this is being treated as some sort of plague. The people turning into statues part, I mean. I have no way to know if it's connected to this void, but something foul is afoot, as I and Myria's watchdog witnessed at a local bakery as an old woman turned into stone on her deathbed. I'm afraid I'll be late for the council meeting though, since that brings me to my next problem. That woman's daughter - Emily Briar - came to me last night and confessed her intent to kill Simon Weatherson." Neasa paused, taking some time to eat the eggs set out before her for breakfast to let the boys take in all the information she'd just given them. While they already knew some of this without a doubt, she wasn't sure how much. Best to get everything out there. Once her eggs were eaten, and washed down with a sip of water, Neasa wrapped up her review of the situation.

"As a watchdog of Nuumu, I obviously can't allow someone to preach about this void, which is antithetical to everything the Ashen King stands for. I intend to confront him and gather as much information about this void as possible, but the matter of if I'll leave him to die is still something I need to figure out. Since I don't know when Emily Briar plans to confront him, I need to make finding him before she does my greatest priority. Therefore, I won't be present for the start of the council's meeting."

Bright and Early

Olivander was up at the crack of dawn. Just as the sun crossed the horizon, he folded his arms. To be perfectly honest, he didn't think today was going to be so grand. He was anxious and wanted to get to the bottom of this watchdog business so he could get back to thieving. But, work before pleasure was better suited for a thief. He stood to his feet and stretched, gathering his bearings from beneath the large tree he slept under. It was... more comfortable than the ground back home. The tree was shady and cool and the grass was soft and lush. He slept well, but that didn't ease his mind. Today was all business.

The religious council was supposed to be the first order... but Olivander was starving! His stomach grumbled hungrily and caused him to double over. "Fine, fine. Breakfast it is."

...but still late!

Olivander was last to the party. Finn and Amir were no-shows, but that didn't concern him much. Rather, he walked in right as Neasa was mentioning the name of one Simon Weatherson, and her crossroads at whether she should kill him or not.

"...Since I don't know when Emily Briar plans to confront him, I need to make finding him before she does my greatest priority. Therefore, I won't be present for the start of the council's meeting."

"Emily's gonna off him then?" Olivander spoke up as he entered the room. "Good. I don't think we need any zealots causing a mass upheaval of souls about the island, wouldn't you say? And I certainly don't think we need to waste our time giving him the benefit of the doubt. From what I've learned just from Kitt, this guy has gotta go. And if your miss Emily is gonna slit his throat, I want to be there to watch him die. Maybe loot his corpse," he said flatly. Olivander suddenly had a real desire to see Simon dead, despite having less invested interest in him and his dealings than the other two present watchdogs.

"And before you go givin' me reason, I'm not gonna change my mind. After this council meeting, if Emily ain't done him in, I'll do it myself."

Once those words left Kitt's mouth...the breakfast discussion was on and in full-swing, starting with Nessa and having Olivander coming in at the end.

"I'll start. The heart of the situation seems to lie with Simon Weatherson, a worshiper of an oblivion of nothing. Because this void is not a god, we can rule out the possibility of having to fight a fellow watchdog, but his faith cannot be allowed to spread. Anyone who hears the name of this void - which I'll have to ask the two of you to not repeat if you know it - effectively loses their right to an afterlife. Instead, their souls simply become nothing. Presumably, the bodies become statues, but I have no proof to back up if this is truly the case, or if Emily Briar's mother had other problems as well. It seems that this is being treated as some sort of plague. The people turning into statues part, I mean. I have no way to know if it's connected to this void, but something foul is afoot, as I and Myria's watchdog witnessed at a local bakery as an old woman turned into stone on her deathbed. I'm afraid I'll be late for the council meeting though, since that brings me to my next problem. That woman's daughter - Emily Briar - came to me last night and confessed her intent to kill Simon Weatherson."

"Statues? Hmmm...that's an interesting thing." Kitt muttered, sipping his cup of coffee. This was an interesting turn of events like this. Not only was Simon an instigator with this worshiping of the oblivion that would come, but the true name of it ends up losing the access and their right to the afterlife...this was something he didn't come to expect. Couple this with the statue plague that seems to have a key in this Simon situation, it made for quite the interesting case.

"As a watchdog of Nuumu, I obviously can't allow someone to preach about this void, which is antithetical to everything the Ashen King stands for. I intend to confront him and gather as much information about this void as possible, but the matter of if I'll leave him to die is still something I need to figure out. Since I don't know when Emily Briar plans to confront him, I need to make finding him before she does my greatest priority. Therefore, I won't be present for the start of the council's meeting."

Kitt sighed, placing his cup down. "I was hoping perhaps we would all be there, but if you believe that this will happen, then as a Watchdog...I'm obligated to allow you to do your duties." he nodded, before hearing Olivander's two-cents...which seemed to echo Emily's desires.

"And before you go givin' me reason, I'm not gonna change my mind. After this council meeting, if Emily ain't done him in, I'll do it myself."

Not unexpected for Hinder's Dog... the young man thought, before nodding slowly with a sigh. "I see...if this is currently your findings on the situation, then I suppose I can echo my own findings."

BGM

"I will say originally, I wanted to have Simon get his own place of worship." Kitt began. "However, learning more from your findings as well as what I learned from Aiden, this cannot be a situation that should transpire. If his blasphemous teachings bring hindrance to Nuumu's will and our rights to the afterlife, then it's best if he stays away from teaching in general. I will say, however, that when I mentioned I was a Watchdog...Simon's face..." he paused, vividly remember the expression the sickly man had. "He seemed to be...hoping for a Watchdog to appear."

With another sip, Kitt continued. "Simon's beliefs about this subject seem to be that he and his cult as it were are simply bringing the revelation of the end to the forefront of the minds of these people. It's a noble cause, if you look at it through the haze...but once clarity is reached: you can see the sick, twisted and perverted manner this teaching is." he paused, before sighing. "Now, to bring up Aiden. I spoke to the priest of Lar about this situation...and he told me the following. IF, and this is a big if, the religious council grant Simon his petition...this blight won't cease and they're betting on this notion...and they care not what happens. In his situation, Aiden was concerned about Lar specifically. This namely comes from the fact that the people here on Galatea seem to be worshiping from their homes as a sort of convenience and after Simon and his cult entered the temple, people have actually been more afraid to visit."

Another pause was made, before Taros' Watchdog continued. "The reason for all this happens to be the blatant inaction of the religious council...Levanna included. Aiden also warned that these individuals on the religious council do not take kindly to corrections, if these actions of there be deliberate. Regardless, that's all the information I currently have on the subject. It isn't much, but it does echo and align itself with what Nessa has spoken."

Untitled.png

"I will say originally, I wanted to have Simon get his own place of worship. However, learning more from your findings as well as what I learned from Aiden, this cannot be a situation that should transpire."

Kitt's take on the situation gave Neasa mixed feelings. He was certainly right about some points, but others seemed like purely conjecture, without anything to back them up. She absolutely planned on investigating the matter herself today, and would likely correct any misconceptions Kitt had about it if and when the three Watchdogs met up again later today. For now, time was of the essence. While she didn't intend to stop Emily from enacting her revenge, Neasa had to get to Simon before she did. Understanding her enemy was far more important than stopping them, in case other void worshippers were encountered later on.

"Regardless, that's all the information I currently have on the subject. It isn't much, but it does echo and align itself with what Neasa has spoken."

"I'll leave keeping an eye on the council to the two of you," Neasa concluded, getting up from her seat with the last of her food. "I need to locate Simon as soon as possible, and learn as much as I can from him." With that, she left the building, new destination in mind. She made her way back to the temple square, and found yet another ruckus outside of the Taros temple. Surely Simon wouldn't go to the same place two days in a row, right? Then what was going on over here?

Bureaucracy

Levanna’s office wasn’t the only purpose of that particular building, nor, even, was it the only purpose of that floor. By turning left instead of right, past the little kitchen/larder area where, one could presume, all that tea and all those biscuits came from, and turning again to go deeper into the confines of the building, one eventually came out into an open area in the middle, with open sky above and a few stones arranged in a pentagonal shape that one could easily assume were for sitting.

The watchdogs -- those that chose to attend the meeting at all -- were the first to arrive, though Levanna arrived soon after, commenting “Oh, how punctual you are, what a fine quality!” with her usual presentation of perhaps too much friendliness, before going on to say “I will have to introduce you to the other four. They already know you’ll be here, of course, I did tell them that much, and they are as excited to meet you as I was just yesterday, but a proper introduction must be in order. It must.

“Otherwise, this would probably feel to some of them like you just barged in and started yelling at us.” Levanna laughed at her own joke, though it was apparent from the type of laugh it was she didn’t actually find it all that funny.

The next to enter was a gentleman even older than Levanna, and, like Levanna, he was probably even older than he appeared. Thomas, Levanna introduced him as, and he shook hands in that brusque, formal way that seemed perfectly choreographed down to the moment. He said nothing during that handshake, nor during the rest of Levanna’s introduction, though he did nod to both dogs before turning and taking his seat at one of the stones.

Next was a younger man, one who appeared about as old as the two watchdogs, who didn’t even let Levanna begin to introduce him before he stepped in and offered his hand. “Elliot Baker, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Levanna has told us so much already,” he said, though Levanna’s face made it seem like this she treated that as more of an accusation than standard greeting procedure. “Some more perspective is always required, don’t you think?” he also said, which just seemed to make the face worse.

It subsided before the last two came in, though, a pair of women who came in together, talking softly between themselves. They were soft enough that, even when just outside “proper introduction distance” (as Levanna put it) they were still too quiet to make out outside of the occasional inconsequential word. Of course, once they were within that distance, they stopped talking entirely, and let Levanna introduce them as Katherine and Mercy. Like Thomas, they were largely silent throughout this process, though Mercy did let out a quiet “pleasure” as she took a hand.

And, just like that, they were all assembled. Thomas even said as much as he stood up from his rock, continuing on to once again acknowledge the watchdogs in the meeting room (“We have some visitors today, don’t we?” he said) before sitting back down and beginning the meeting proper with, “Elliot, is there anything we are to be reminded about from the last meeting?”

“Ah, yes, a few things,” Elliot said, shifting in place on his stone. “First, I suppose, was following up on our resolution regarding the increasing demand for new dockworkers recently. We agreed upon a sort of recruitment drive -- it’s only been a week but Mercy, how has that been going?”

The meeting started as it meant to go on, it seemed.

Tombs & Treasure

Caleb Grey was furious. It was the justified sort of furious, he thought, but he was furious all the same. After all, it was his sword that they had lost; even if it was meant to be Taros’ later that afternoon, it was still his until then, and they -- Taros’ temple but especially the high priest -- had lost it. It was all he could keep saying. “How- how do you lose a ceremonial sword. I know it was here yesterday because you said it needed to be prepared yesterday and I thought that meant someone would always be looking at it. So where’d it go?”

The gathering crowd of onlookers didn’t bother Caleb at all. In fact, it only bolstered him. They were here for him, he thought. If they knew the whole story, no doubt would be left in their minds. The priest, too, was probably secretly on his side as well, given how he sputtered between words (mostly variations of “we apologize” and “we tried our hardest”). It was almost enough to calm him down. But no, he needed answers, and, by Taros’ beard, he was going to have them. “There was even a watchdog here last night,” Caleb said. “How’d he not see anything?”

“After his meditations, Brother Axton retired to a private room, away from where the sword was kept,” the priest said. “He wouldn’t have known.”

Well, that was just great, Caleb thought. He even said it out loud, “Well, that’s just great.” But still, he got the sense that he wasn’t going to get any further with this sort of interrogation, and instead turned to those gathered, looking on. “I guess if anyone sees a really, really nice sword, let someone know, huh?”

OOC

Spoiler

Theme for the section titles is old Infocom adventure games, and yes I know "Tomb & Treasure" doesn't quite work but I was set on "Bureaucracy" and needed a chaser. Maybe if you squint...

Team Council: I kind of wrote this in a "you better interrupt this meeting" sort of way. You don't have to, of course, though then I'd recommend a slight time skip to when Simon eventually does come up. It'll be a bit otherwise. Maybe write about how bored your character is, idk. Another suggestion would be first impressions of the other council members, though that'd be lower on my list of things.

Team Temple: Mostly an expository scene regarding some events that happened overnight. If it wasn't obvious already, it's the sword already mentioned; there aren't suddenly two Chekov's swords going around. Feel free to react or pursue this event to your liking.

Let me know if you need any council member or Caleb/priest dialog (or anything else, of course) and happy posting!

Thomas - Elliot - Katherine - Mercy - Caleb

Edited by radio414

Ill Mannered

Olivander wasn't at all interested in politeness or doing his duty, at this moment in time. In fact, over the last twelve hours since he had slept on it, he had worked up a grudge. What he disliked more than anything else was someone who dragged their feet--especially on something important. He didn't care to learn the names of the people on the council. He didn't care what their previously scheduled agenda read. In fact, he didn't care about waiting to speak for his turn or any sort of civility. There was a problem that needed solving. Not later, not after other items on the list, not after they scheduled a due date and worked out the proper ordinances. Now.

"Councilman," he interrupted. "If I may--and I will. Do shut up. All of you. Shut the bloody hell up. You don't have your fucking priorities straight," he snapped. "If you won't address the more urgent matters--those in which your civilians are dying mysteriously--then I will." Olivander stood to his feet, ready to be dragged away by whatever guards or imposing authority might see fit to do so.

"You won't have any fucking dockworkers if Simon has his way. In fact, you'll probably be the last to fall pray to this oblivion shit, and I won't stand by to watch it happen. You've been completely inadequate, you refuse to take action, and its all because of this image you purpose to keep. But enough is enough," he said with a growl. "When I leave this room today, this matter will be resolved. My god has given me duties, and I will act on them. If that means taking the life of Simon, so be it. So if you cannot dissuade me from slitting his throat in the next few minutes, I'll leave his corpse hung and bloody in your town square. And I will tell your people that their suffering at the hands of this mysterious, nefarious plot, is now through. I will bare everything to them. All truths in which you endeavored to keep hidden. And I assure you, there is nothing that will prevent that."

Olivander's brow was furled. His teeth were grinding. His fists were clenched. Veins were tense in his head. He was ready to risk it all to make things right.

The council, seemed, well for lack of a better word...both intrigued and almost disgusted by the presence of the Watchdogs, but then again, Kitt could've also been reading that wrong. Regardless, the meeting was underway and it seemed...just like business as usual for the most part...that was, until Olivander spoke up.

"When I leave this room today, this matter will be resolved. My god has given me duties, and I will act on them. If that means taking the life of Simon, so be it. So if you cannot dissuade me from slitting his throat in the next few minutes, I'll leave his corpse hung and bloody in your town square. And I will tell your people that their suffering at the hands of this mysterious, nefarious plot, is now through. I will bare everything to them. All truths in which you endeavored to keep hidden. And I assure you, there is nothing that will prevent that."

Needless to say, Kitt was surprised at hearing Hinder's dog say this, but this was pretty much the reason that they were here. Therefore, it needed to be brought up right away. He cleared his throat, already doing his best to get Olive to settle and sit back down. Once that was done, it was his turn. The "pleasantries" as it were, were already out of the way...so it was now or never.

"I apologize for my colleague's general outburst, but he is correct." Kitt spoke up. "According to what we have heard, this issue has been going on for too long with no one knowing the truth on this scenario. Simon and his cult is blaspheming against Numuu's plane of existence and for those who wish to see the afterlife, as Numuu's Watchdog has gathered. This has to be stopped and it will be stopped right here and now."

He took a breath, exhaling slowly. "That being said, I wish to know the reasoning why this has been allowed to continue in the first place." Kitt's gaze turned towards Levanna, before returning to the rest of the council. "One of your own told myself and another one of my Watchdog colleagues that you are simply doing what's best for Galatea...but if this was the case, then Simon's preaching about this...this void should've stopped a long time ago, especially if you knew about this issue longer than we have. This wouldn't have been any of my business to begin with...however..." Kitt paused, before exhaling once more. "...you allowed him access to Taros' temple. You disturbed the very foundation and routine of how things are to be. One of the followers of my patron is waiting for the chance to have a sword blessed by Taros...something I am to oversee, but this has collided with the very essence of what my job is."

"That in mind, I want to know your plan of actions...nay...your reasoning on why you have neglected to silence this man and his blaspheming teachings and have given him access to almost any temple he wants." Kitt's eyes narrowed slightly. "...or is it because you don't care if this blight doesn't stop?"

Untitled.png

“Well, that’s just great. I guess if anyone sees a really, really nice sword, let someone know, huh?”

A missing sword, was it? Neasa had to admit that she wasn't very familiar with Taros worship, but given he was the god of the forge, she imagined that this must have had some sort of significance. However, Simon Weatherson was not a fancy sword. Or maybe he was, depending on some poetic liberties and one's interpretation. But in the more literal sense, he was absolutely not a sword. And for all she knew, he had the thing, as unlikely as it seemed. The search for this sword - at least directly and in this temple - would have to wait. Neasa backed out of the crowd. There was one other place Neasa could imagine Simon hiding out at present.

The temple of the dead god Medeis. As she made the trip over to that temple, Neasa couldn't help but wonder what happens to a god when they die. If she was able to ask Nuumu one question in exchange for this deed, it would probably be that. But right now, the only person she would be asking questions to was this void worshipper. And when she swung open the doors to the Medeis temple, she was rather disappointed to find Simon not there.

There was only one approach left. Checking each and every temple, one by one. If Simon was here, he'd be in one of them, even if it took her a bit to find him. And for good measure, letting a priest or two in each temple know to find her if Simon appeared.

Counsel

Aiden Bell, High Priest of Lar, Master of Ceremony, Keeper of the Flame, and probably a couple other titles he never could remember, wasn’t having the greatest morning. Of course, no morning had been all that great recently, given the low attendance and a populace generally avoiding the temple he presided over, but this one started out especially poorly after Aiden had to reprimand an acolyte for openly theorizing that the current situation was some sort of divine punishment. Obviously, it wasn’t. The gods as a whole, Aiden lectured, would not permit such a thing. Not after having already saved remnants of humanity the first time, even if, unfortunately, there were some rather prominent people on the island who said otherwise.

Even worse, then, was when a young woman barged into the temple demanding to know where Simon Weatherson had gone. Aiden had to patiently explain that Simon hadn’t been in his particular temple in weeks, and he was about to go into his whole spiel about what a plague Simon was on Galatea before she introduced herself as Nuumu’s watchdog and that if Aiden did find out where Simon was, he should tell her immediately.

It wasn’t the interruption by itself that was the problem, of course, but the news that came with it. Even without Neasa revealing that he wasn’t where he was supposed to be, he probably would have found out eventually, Of course, he might have preferred finding out by himself, but that couldn’t be helped. After finishing the morning’s rites, he informed a fellow priest of his whereabouts and, almost as an afterthought, asked if they could refresh the temple’s water supply, “I know we’re not anywhere close to running out, but I would like to be sure,” he said.

As soon as those words left his lips, the priest made a confused sort of face. “From the spring, you mean?” they said. “Did you not hear the- no, I guess you wouldn’t have if you were asking about this. Brother Aiden, the spring dried up last afternoon. The rumor is Dia’s been unhappy with her worship.”

Aiden’s eyes went wide. He didn’t even try to hide it; he knew what that meant. With barely a “Well, just look after things,” left as instructions, he dashed off into the temple square, looking for the woman who was just there. Fortunately, either she had figured it out herself, or her brute force method of barging into temples demanding to be spoken to had worked out, and she was now facing down Dia’s temple.

He only just caught up to her. “He’s in there,” he said. “Of this, I am as certain as I can be without actually knowing. Whatever you plan to do with him, know that with an occasion such as this, he’ll probably be expecting you. Be wary.” He would have tried to convince her to stop, but, well, she was a watchdog, and it seemed her mind was made up already. All he could do was watch her go and keep a prayer in his heart.

…and also try and tell the council. They wouldn’t hear him until they were finished with their meeting, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t try.

Council

The entire council, naturally, went silent as Olive and Kitt interrupted with their own ideas of what needed talking about. It couldn’t quite be described as “stunned” silence, but it was at least a rather pregnant one, only broken when Mercy said, “Oh, I like this one! Hinder always seems to know how to pick them, does he not?”

It was Thomas who answered that particular question with an annoyed sort of cough before levelling his gaze on the watchdogs in the room. No other movements were necessary, he simply began to speak. “Well, I suppose we can move Simon up on the docket if that is your desire. You are our guests after all. And newcomers likely would be frustrated by a situation they have not had the time to understand.

“I will say this, though, before we continue. Just as we were powerless to keep you from attending this meeting, so, too, are we unable to force you out or any other action your patron might desire from you. If your mind is already made up as to the correct course of action, there is very likely nothing we can say or do to stop you. However, if you’re looking for reasons, well… reasons we can provide.”

As if on cue, Katherine spoke up. “The problem of occult worship is not a new one,” she said. “With a temple on this island for every god, an altar for every goddess, extreme views are bound to crop up from time to time. That isn’t to say the problems they cause are solved ones, but it is something Galatea has faced before. The solution we have landed on that has come the closest to working, though, is confinement, and while Medeis’ legacy may be tarnished, she has provided a good space for such actions.”

Elliot spoke next. “Of course, Simon has created problems separate from the normal occult worship ones. Most cults don’t cause harm simply by internalizing their beliefs like Simon’s does. In fact, one might even say that, because we know that at all, we are the most at risk. I believe Levanna told you all as much yesterday-”

“I did not tell these two,” Levanna interrupted. “But yes, I did say it. Knowing specific aspects of Simon’s liturgy is dangerous, which is another reason perhaps the guards might have been perceived as lenient. Corralling a herd of cultists is difficult without worrying about getting too close.”

“In any case,” Thomas said, trying to gather the disparate threads into a single package, “Simon knows this as well, or most of it, anyway. Hence the difficulties. ‘So just remove Simon,’ you might say, and who is to say we have not as well? Elliot seems to bring it up more meetings than not, I believe…”

He gestured to Elliot, who nodded. “I am with you on this,” he said to the watchdogs. “There would undoubtedly be political ramifications, but then again, his preaching does, as you say, continue to cause hurt.”

“…But, then again,” Thomas said, “this may also be what Simon wants. Levanna tells us you spoke with him yesterday, correct? Then you must know that legitimacy for his group is what he seeks above all else. Martyrdom is one such form.”

“I said this yesterday as well,” Levanna said. “What would you have us do? As Thomas said, you believe we should kill him? You are watchdogs, go and do as you believe. But if there is some other action, one that requires us, we would like to hear about it.”

OOC

Spoiler

I know I said today wasn't going to have as much exposition, but I guess that's my only mode of host post so here it is, finally.

I don't think that much extra needs to be said. Olive and Kitt have some information to process, and that seems straightforward at least on my end. I tried to keep all five councilmembers talking at least a little bit. If you want a brief description of their respective personalities outside that, they're all in the "People" section of #links in the discord. I didn't say anything before because I'd already announced I'd given them images, but now seems like a good time as well.

If Neasa needs any lines from Aiden or SImon, let me know (oh yeah, same goes for the council if you're not just storming out :P). Yes, he is in this one, apologies for the runaround before.

As always, I'm open for questions whenever. Happy posting!

Untitled.png

“He’s in there. Of this, I am as certain as I can be without actually knowing. Whatever you plan to do with him, know that with an occasion such as this, he’ll probably be expecting you. Be wary.”

Dia's temple. According to a priest of Lar who had caught up with Neasa and her brute-force method of locating Simon, this was the place where her target would be found. Neasa took a deep breath, bracing herself. Her duties as a watchdog up until now hadn't really been much different from her usual monk work, albeit with a bit more politics involved by simple virtue of acting as a mouthpiece of the Ashen King himself. Before arriving at Galatea, she hadn't really dealt with an enemy of Nuumu, so this was a first for her. But it had to be done. And so, Neasa swung open the doors of the Dia temple, stepping inside. "SIMON WEATHERSON!" Neasa called out. "As Watchdog of Nuumu, King of the Dead and God of the Afterlife, I've come seeking you out!"

Simon laughed, though it was the kind of laugh that quickly devolved into a cough. "That's a much better entrance than the other two watchdogs I've spoken to so far," he said. "What can you tell me that the other two have not already?"

Walking up closer to Simon - being sure to maintain some distance though of course; that was just common courtesy - Neasa didn't pay much mind to the others in the temple. Aside from Simon and two people that were rather close by his side, there was about a dozen of them. Be they worshippers of Dia who were simply willing to hear him out, or those among Simon's own faith, Neasa wasn't sure. They weren't all that important to the task at hand, unless they felt like going around spreading that Inanis name.

"What I can tell you that the others likely haven't mentioned is that this void you worship is an inherent enemy to Nuumu, though you may already know that. While I have nothing against you personally, this is a problem I can't avoid addressing. I can also tell you that while I have no grudges to bear with you, that isn't true for everyone on the island. I know there's at least one person who fully intends to kill you, but before I allow them the chance, I have some questions I'd like to ask you."

"I do recognize you as my enemy, dear watchdog, though I suppose my teachings would put me at odds with all the gods in some respect. Here I am, for example, in Dia's temple. Surely, she does not want me here. I was in Taros' yesterday, and I imagine you have heard his watchdog's reaction. But if you are not the one who is coming to kill me, of course you may ask away." He motioned to his followers. "Leave us. Go out into the square if you must. You will know when to return."

Neasa waited for the dozen or so others in the temple - turns out they weren't Dia's faithful after all - to leave. It was just her, him, and his two attendants now. It was time to collect information and set some things straight. "The first thing I'd like to address is something of a plague working its way through Galatea. You're no doubt aware of it, but there's something odd about my limited experience with it. When I saw an elderly woman succumb to this and die, she turned into stone instead of leaving any sort of proper corpse. Is this related to your void worship?"

“I said this yesterday as well. What would you have us do? As Thomas said, you believe we should kill him? You are watchdogs, go and do as you believe. But if there is some other action, one that requires us, we would like to hear about it.”

Kitt began to bite his lip slightly, not expecting this response from the council. They...wanted to stop him but with the fact of the liturgy of Simon being as such, keeping the guards and even the religious council weren't doing things. He remained silent for a good long period of time, before exhaling and running a hand through his hair slightly. This was one of those moments he didn't enjoy being the Watchdog of Taros...matters like this.

He looked at each one of the council, before finally speaking up again. "Unlike most of my fellow Dogs...I've had the pleasure, if you wish to call it that, of speaking to both Simon as well as Lar's priest, Aiden. According to the one party in question, Simon, what you wish to do with him...allowing him legitimacy will not allow things to return to the status quo, but of course you know this. He is a blasphemer with his teachings, so much so that it's affecting Nuumu." Kitt took a breath before continuing. "At the same time, according to the priest of Lar, you as the council were quick to accede the request for Simon a place of worship. If this was, given the thoughts, due to Simon's teachings bringing ruin and damnation in a sense, then I can understand that to a certain degree."

"However...this is driving a wedge between not only the people of Galatea...but it's starting to drive a wedge between you and the deities we serve." Kitt said, moving from his spot to now start walking and pacing in front of the council's seating area. "Aiden spoke this to me during my time asking him about the situation. He said, to quote him...'One of Lar’s dogs came here months ago and, as his representative, declared that maintaining the fire was not just the most important way one could give worship, it was the only way. For years, people had been worshiping from their homes out of convenience; they were sacred places too, they believed. It was a struggle to adapt to this new theology, but we managed. Just as we were getting used to our new normal, however, that was when Simon and his cult invaded the temple. People are still afraid to come and worship. They don’t want to end up the victims of some stories I’ve heard. They think Simon’s mere existence in these temples is harmful and dangerous, and I am inclined to agree with them'..." The young Watchdog cleared his throat some. "So if this is the case, why do you still do nothing? At this moment, this isn't about taking a life...this is about the inaction about this. A banishment could also work...imprisonment perhaps... Regardless, if anything, you give us some information...I wish to help this island with it's plight, but if anything is to progress further, then we need the information of some kind about this situation. Everything you have, everything you know...please. If you, the religious council, truly want to assist and help your island's people, then please...help us."

Zero Tolerance

Olivander snorted at the council's reply. He snorted again when Kitt pleaded for their help. If they were going to step up, they would've done so sooner. "What would I have you do?" Olivander replied smugly. "I'm glad that you've asked that. And now that I've taken the time to sit here and listen to your incessant yapping, I've made a decision. I'll have you do what you've continued to do: nothing."

Olivander stepped down from his seat and approached the exit to their chamber. "It seems you think I'm merely a vessel. You're right. But I've enough authority and power to see to it that this comes to an end. And that is exactly what I intend to do." Without another word, Olivander vanished from the presence of the religious council, a dagger in his hands. As he walked, his mouth was filled with prayer. He cried out to Hinder, his god and his guide, looking for strength. "Guide me, my lord. May this thief's hands end the plight of the masses. May my dagger strike true and cut the tongue of the blasphemer. May the people come to you and may their mouths be filled with prayer and thanks for your work."

Olivander headed to Simon's last known location: the Temple of Taros, the forge god.

"May Taros forgive me. Soon, I will fill his temple with the blood of our enemy."

a few words for the firing squad (radiation)

“What an accusation! Should I deny it?” Simon said. “No, surely not. You have demonstrated knowledge enough already of who I am and what I am doing without even meeting me face to face, you would find out the truth eventually, I am sure. Or perhaps you already have, and this is just to test me.”

He raised his arms in defeat. “You have found me out. An… unfortunate side-effect of knowing and worshipping the void is that one’s soul can start to prefer it over life. Even that, it starts to prefer it to death as well. As you say, you have seen what has happened. I do hesitate to call it a plague, of course. Perhaps it is because that word villainizes me more than I think you already have. If it is a plague, it is one of the mind. Of knowledge.

“But, then again, it does not really matter what it is called, does it?” Simon paused and tried to sit up from his supine position, though he only eventually managed to raise himself to a slight angle, bracing against his cot with his elbows. “I suppose the next question is ‘did I know when I started, that I would inflict such a fate on some of my followers?’ I did not, of course. No mortal can know what the future holds. Of course, Myria does occasionally try to help, doesn’t she?” He coughed. “I could intuit, though, that something would happen. It’s a bit of a shock to some, getting it through one’s skull that the apocalypse rages on in the present as much as it does in the past.

“Or maybe that was not your next question?” Simon said, “Tell me what it was, dear watchdog, while we still have the world after all.”

Blood of the Fang

Caleb couldn’t help but be near Taros’ temple, even after he’d found out that there was as likely to be no ceremony that day as there had been the day before it, or even after attracting a much larger crowd than he had been expecting. He knew he should have slinked off and gone back to work, but what work could he do now? He was deflated, that’s what it was.

He also couldn’t help but imagine the sword -- his sword -- being used in some way. Sure, maybe the thief had only desired an ornament, something that, despite the indiscretion, still treated the weapon with some degree of respect. But a piece of perfection, or close enough to it, being used to draw blood surely would desecrate it in some way. The blood would wash off and the sword could be resharpened, yes, but surely there was something essential to the sword that would disappear in its first use. Maybe he could ask a watchdog about it. There was one that was on the island, right? The ceremony had initially been delayed for just that purpose, to have them present.

No, this probably wasn’t healthy. He needed to get a hammer in his hands and work it out that way, meditating to the sound of metal on metal. Not even the act of creation -- again, Caleb still couldn’t imagine himself making anything right now -- just to do something. He pushed off the wall he was leaning against and went to leave when a specific face caught his eye.

It wasn’t Taros’ watchdog, but it was a watchdog, one who practically barged into the main annex with a grim look on his face. It took a few seconds for Caleb to recognize him further, but he did eventually identify him as Hinder’s, God of Wealth.

… and of Thievery. And it was the second title that gave Caleb a sparkle of hope in the form of an idea. He approached cautiously -- the dog’s mood implied he didn’t want to be surprised -- and tapped him on the shoulder. After that, well, it didn’t seem like an introduction was right, so he got straight to the point. “Hey, Hinder,” he said, “you think you could steal a sword back for me?”

The Room Where It Happens

“‘Everything’ is a lot of things,” Levanna said. It was clear by the expression on her face that she was trying very hard to not react to anything Olive had said, though she did persist nevertheless. “But you are right in that you could help us.”

“Banishment is not as feasible as one might think,” Elliot said. “What ship would take him? And imprisonment -”

“In any case,” Levanna said, cutting him off. “I cannot promise everything, obviously, But we can share more, yes. For example, and perhaps most importantly…”

She gestured to Thomas, who gave a stiff nod -- the same he’d initially acknowledged the watchdogs with -- and said, “At some level, we are seeing the results of our actions pay off. His numbers are dwindling and Simon has not been able to replenish them quite so quickly. We believe this is why he invades temples other than Medeis’, as some sort of recruitment tactic.”

“He tends to invade temples where he knows attendance will be up,” Katherine said. “Lar, as you mentioned, and Taros because of the ceremony, and a few others at various moments of vulnerability. And yet, as you’ve noticed if you’ve seen him, he doesn’t tend to attract more of a crowd than the one he brings with him. And yourself, of course. He can attract a lot of attention, but we haven’t seen it translate over to tangible results.”

“The best way to help would probably be assisting in containment, I imagine,” said Levanna. “Perhaps even your presence would be enough to encourage visitors to temples Simon has left lacking? You mentioned Lar, and though Aiden and I might not see eye-to-eye all the time, his is not a plight we’ve left unnoticed. How could we?” She chuckled at her own little joke, though nobody else on the council did likewise. “I know that is not everything, but how is that for a start, at least?”

OOC

Spoiler

"a few words for the firing squad (radiation)" is a Run the Jewels song, "Blood of the Fang" is a clipping. song and "The Room Where It Happens" is from Hamilton.

Neasa: Don't let me say that I want to make something a host post without, like, at least two more questions next time, that was probably a mistake in retrospect. Anyway just continuing the conversation now, hook me up for more questions when you start writing the post.

Olive: I know it's just throwing Caleb at you. Obviously you can be too busy with your search to agree if you want, but you went to Taros' temple and it seemed like I should at least present the option instead of just saying "he's obviously not there, he's talking with Neasa right now." If you do refuse, don't, like, cut his arms off or anything. He needs those.

Kitt: Similarly, obviously not "everything," but at least a couple nougats of information in there you can play off of, I hope. Didn't go into more details because it seemed like Kitt and the council would be on the same page. But, and here's a hint for free if you're looking, they've mentioned being aware of the harm Simon causes and their method, despite their claims, still seems to be waiting Simon out. And, if you're worried about getting "what would you have us do?" in response, you already mentioned a few options in your last post you'd just need to double-down on.

As always, I'm be around for questions or anything else (rp-related, don't get any ideas) you might need. Be real, be cool, and, of course, be real cool.

“The best way to help would probably be assisting in containment, I imagine. Perhaps even your presence would be enough to encourage visitors to temples Simon has left lacking? You mentioned Lar, and though Aiden and I might not see eye-to-eye all the time, his is not a plight we’ve left unnoticed. How could we? I know that is not everything, but how is that for a start, at least?”

Kitt stood there, still processing all the information that was given to him by the council. He felt...unsuited for this. They were just...simply waiting this whole Simon situation out? And the options he gave, banishment or imprisonment, it seemed like neither one they technically preferred...but then again, Levanna opened her mouth to cut Elliot off, so there might've been more to that.

"So you ARE aware of the situation thus far...and your claims and plan is simply to wait Simon out?" Kitt spoke up, once his mind had processed the information. "How long will that possibly last you? In these trying times, the people could very much fall susceptible to his teachings...especially if they're trying to commune with their patron. However, I come back to what I think you should do as the religious council. You say banishment from Galatea may not be the correct course of action...but you..." He paused to look at Elliot, before glancing at Levanna. "...you were prepared to say something about the imprisonment aspect before you were cut off. So please sir, if you would be so kind as to continue your thoughts on the imprisonment idea."

"How long will it last us? It's lasted us thus far," Thomas said. Anything more was cut off, though by Elliot, who had been the main focus of the questioning.

"I suppose this is an opinion my fellow members might disagree with," Elliot said, "but imprisonment is little better than the current situation. Simon would still be on the island, we would still have to worry about his access to guards... the only thing that might change is his predilection for raiding temples and even that begs a few questions."

"So between the two options...neither one truly benefits the people. And this waiting game of yours will only last so long...especially if Simon for some reason decides to ramp up the recruitment process and more of his teaching gets out." Kitt began to put a hand to his chin, biting his lip in the process.

"It benefits the people by slowly getting rid of his cult," Levanna said.

"But why take a large gamble like this? You happen to be playing a game of fate between yourselves and Simon and his cult, with the people of Galatea as collateral. You could easily take care of this situation by either banishment or just imprisonment. Out of the two options, imprisonment may be the better option...you could just limit the interactions of the guards with him...or even just leave him isolated. I've heard of other locations that do something along these lines, so it could also work. Because if neither of these work, and this waiting game is out of the question...there's only one outcome left, and Hinder's Watchdog already left to do just that plan."

"Well, we will have to see if the 'game', as you put it, starts failing us, then," Thomas said.

Katherine added, "Again, it's worked before."

Thomas nodded his head. "Indeed. Thank you for your counsel, then, in this matter, watchdog of Taros. If Hinder does succeed, and the path was correct, we will of course be in your debt."

Kitt had a feeling deep within him that this was where the conversation between him and the religious council was ending. The young man simply let out a sigh, before nodding. "...then at this moment, I believe this is where I take my leave." he gave the council a slight bow, before proceeding to leave the room. "Just know...that your decisions, whether you believe them good or not, you will be judged...not just by your patrons, but by your people as well. For when they find out this situation...they'll have a different outlook on you."

With not another word after that, Kitt Axton left the council room, leaving the religious council to their own devices and him...he'd have to figure out what his next set of actions would be. Nessa was most likely questioning Simon...while Olive was planning to assassinate this man. Where would this leave him, well...Kitt figured Taros' will would guide him to what he'd do now.

Untitled.png

“I suppose the next question is ‘did I know when I started, that I would inflict such a fate on some of my followers?’ I did not, of course. No mortal can know what the future holds. Of course, Myria does occasionally try to help, doesn’t she?”

As a matter of fact...

“Or maybe that was not your next question? Tell me what it was, dear watchdog, while we still have the world after all.”

"It wasn't my next question, but having that answer certainly complicates things for me." If Simon hadn't known that this would come of his followers when their time had come, Neasa could rule any sort of malice out, at least. But there were still a lot of problems that had to be addressed with this whole situation. Somehow, theological differences felt like the least of those problems. "Rather, what I was going to ask was if there's some way to undo the process, but it sounds like that wouldn't be the case." As a devout monk of Nuumu, she should be expected to figure out how to tear down this enemy to her god. But as the living mouthpiece of the Ashen King, it was a different story. Frankly, she wasn't sure how Nuumu would respond to this type of situation.

"Even if it opposes my own faith, I'd prefer to not go stirring up trouble with your void cult. But its impact is causing undue strain on the populace of Galatea, so some sort of middle ground needs to be negotiated before the situation reaches a breaking point." As someone that was effectively Simon's opposite number, Neasa had a good feeling that she'd be a fine substitute for any sort of councilman in this sort of thing.

"Oh? You sound like someone who has an idea." Simon said. "Well then, let us hear it and then, as they say, from your words to the gods' ears."

"The heart of the problem is people turning into statues. It seems that people are afraid to leave their homes lately, quite likely due to this phenomenon. Do you know if this only happens to people who know the name of this nothing you worship?"

"Ah, I see," Simon said. He laid back in his cot again. "I believe I see what you are getting at. And in just the same way, you must believe people not leaving their homes is as detrimental to me as it is to every other devotion. In my previous life, when I was a singer, I would have said the same thing. And you do not have to be coy; these two flanking me know Ina͠ni̷s almost as well as I do at this point." He gestured to the two as he said this.

"Belief does have to spread, you understand. I would not dare disrespect Nuumu by referring to him as anything other than Lord of Hunters. And while you may call Ina͠ni̷s a conduit to the phenomena you have seen, who is to say a soul could not reject both life and death without it? Just because it has only happened this way does not mean it is the only way."

Not the only way, is it...

In that moment, Neasa had the nagging feeling that a monk much older than her should have been watchdog instead. But who was she to question Nuumu's will? Something else must have been at play here besides Inanis worship. "I suppose I can't force you to not spread the name, then. But hopping from temple to temple as you have been - even though I understand why - gives the impression of a new cult running wild and unchecked. If nothing else, I'd like to address that problem and see if resolving it can help us figure out how to deal with other issues. If you'd be willing to help bring the people back at ease, I wouldn't be against arranging for you the right to use Nuumu's temple to preach a couple of times per week, at least until you have a proper temple of your own." It made sense in her head, at least. Both faiths were closely tied to what happens after someone dies, and while it may not have been the case back when gods walked the earth, what mortal men did with their souls was their own decision.

"Well, that certainly is generous," Simon said. He smiled, too, even if it was a long, wry smile that gave no warmth. "But back at ease how? What would you have me do?"

"I... haven't figured that out yet. The first step I had in mind was that your sermons need to have a defined place and time, so that people who wanted to avoid hearing them don't have to wonder if you'll be in a given god's temple that day. If one of the older monks back home had been picked as Nuumu's watchdog instead, they might have a full plan of action already, but I'm the one we have, for better or worse."

Simon's smile got wider still. "Well, I can tell you that any recognition from a watchdog is as good as any other. However, understand, that the religious council has promised us a temple too many times. We would need to see immediate progress on that particular project, lest our temporary residency at Nuumu's become even more so."

"Then after we've spoken with the monks at Nuumu's temple, we should speak with the council members, together. I don't know how long those meetings last, but if we hurry, might we be able to catch them just before they end it?"

Stepping into Oblivion

Olivander was prepared to breach the Forget God's temple when he was stopped by a voice who knew his god's name.

“Hey, Hinder,” he said, “you think you could steal a sword back for me?”

Olivander paused and stood in place. He slowly turned to the voice that called for him, his scowl unchanged. "I can. But not now. Meet me under the large oak tree just outside the city square, tonight after dark. We'll discuss it then and no sooner. I apologize for my brashness. But I have something more dire to attend to at this moment."

Olivander turned his attention back to Taros' temple and stormed the doors. Unfortunately, his guess was wrong. He didn't have the right amount of information and Simon was not present in Taros' temple. Angry, Olivander turned back to the city square and he knew he had only one choice left. He would have to search every single temple in the city for Simon until he found him. Working his way from left to right, he entered every temple as quickly as he could to search for Simon. He even checked Hinder's own temple, hoping for a stroke of luck. But there was none and Simon was not present there either.

He had narrowed down Simon's presence to two temple's now. The Nuumu temple and the temple of the water goddess, Dia. He hadn't a clue why Simon would settle for either of those temples. They didn't seem to fit his needs or agenda. Nevertheless, Olivander started with Nuumu's temple. It seemed more likely than that of Dia's. Passing the monks, he looked up and down Nuumu's temple for Simon, but it was clear he wasn't there.

That left one temple on his radar: Dia's.

I Think It’s Time We Blow This Scene

Caleb could feel the hostility in the dog’s voice. It obviously wasn’t directed at him, or, if it was, it was in an “I don’t need more work right now” sort of way, which he could respect. Everyone who’d ever provided anything had been there, and he was no exception. Even still, being pushed down Hinder’s agenda only let the other simmering resentments come to the surface, and his mood quickly soured right around to where it’d been just moments ago.

He shouted after the dog. “I mean, you’ll know it when you see it. Aren’t too many swords like it on the island- in all Naviim, even. So just keep an eye out, okay? But yeah, I’ll be there.”

Get Everybody’s Stuff Together

Aiden had wished the watchdog the best luck he could, and that was nice and all, but he dared not watch the confrontation further. There was something cursed about Simon Weatherson in his mind, and the less he had to deal with him or his ilk, the better. That was his secret, that was why he felt compelled to inform others of Galatea’s ills. Someone had to do it, he just always hoped it would not be him. All he wanted to do was manage the flame.

But, just like that, the impulse came back. Galatea was without water. It was not a problem he was personally equipped to solve, but he was in a position to inform someone, anyone, at least. The council was still in a meeting, of course, and they didn’t appreciate being interrupted, especially by him. A dog? There were many of them on the island, sure, but at least one was otherwise occupied, and who knew where the others were.

His thoughts were jumbled as a young woman (or perhaps she wasn’t? She certainly looked like she’d seen better days) stumbled right into him.

“My goodness, are you alright?” Aiden said.

“I am, thank you. Excuse me.”

It wasn’t very convincing. But there was also something about her that told Aiden that, no matter how hard he tried, she wasn’t about to accept any offer he gave, so he let her go, muttering a quick blessing under his breath as she went. When he looked back up, though, he saw the answer to his- well, they weren’t his most recent prayers, but it was exactly what he was looking for. Taros’ watchdog, Kitt, had just stepped into the square, and Aiden wasted no time in rushing over.

“You were just with the council, right?” he said. “Are they aware of the water troubles?” As the question left his lips, a darker scenario entered his mind. He could fathom someone serving the gods’ watchdogs breakfast not wanting to mention any sort of shortage. And as soon as he thought that, he couldn’t help but ask further. “Galatea’s spring is dry. Did you know?”

Okay 3, 2, 1, Let’s Jam

Maybe it had been a mistake to go so far as to steal a sword, especially one that would be missed as soon as the sun came up, and especially with so many alternatives neatly organized in a row back at home. But, on the other hand, it wasn’t like she was about to go back to a house full of statues and bad memories until she could properly excise such things, and, like she had told the watchdog the night before, this was the only method available to her.

Such were the thoughts playing over and over again in Emily’s mind as she relentlessly paced the outskirts of the temple square. Sleep was for people who didn’t have revenge on the mind. Or justice. Or whatever it was, whatever had necessitated getting used to the sword’s weight and making sure she could conceal it well enough to not draw attention until she was ready to strike. It didn’t need to be perfect, it just needed to be good enough to work once.

Finding Simon, determining where he would be when his time came had been where another large portion of her night had gone. He’d moved on from Taros, obviously, but she didn’t want to risk blindly barging into more temples if she could help it. The more temple doors she threw open, the more attention she was bound to  Of course, the lack of sleep certainly didn’t help. Nor did the shot nerves. Fortunately, in her pacing, wandering the streets of Galatea, she’d come across a few errant threads of conversation, rumors of a water shortage. It was enough to latch onto, she’d decided. Unless he was in Medeis’ temple, but that was the backup plan no matter what she chose.

All that was left now was the actual doing, itself split into several mini-tasks. She had to cross the square, she had to reveal the sword tucked away, and she had to leap forward and strike the demagogue down. It was as simple as that, really. But it wasn’t like her nerves had improved over time, especially now that she needed food in addition to sleep. She was sure her reflection was a wreck of what she’d been but a day ago.

“But a day ago.” That was when Myria’s watchdog had taken her in and shown Emily her future. That was the thing bolstering her resolve now. And it was that, more than anything else, that finally got her legs to start carrying her to Dia’s temple.

It still was not a smooth journey, despite being in a straight line. Concealing the sword affected Emily’s gait enough to keep her in a perpetual stumble, and she very nearly ran into… was that Lar’s high priest? It didn’t matter, the only thing that did was moving forward.

Step by step. The doors were already open, that was good. As she drew closer, Emily could even see inside. Simon was there, she could see that now. So were his attendants -- those had always been an “after” problem in her mind. The final body, though, that was cause for alarm. It was Nuumu’s watchdog, and she was… guiding, it seemed, Simon out of the temple. The dog was leading him somewhere.

He was under her protection, surely. This was the watchdog she’d told, after all. Emily’s legs wouldn’t stop moving, though, until finally, she managed a reasonable confrontation distance and simply said, “What are you doing to him?”

OOC

Spoiler

Tank!

By my calculations, this round should take us into page four, so that's exciting. I'd go by watchdog here but some of you intersect by design so I'll just go by section. My personal headcanon (so... canon) was that at the start of this post, Kitt was headed to the Temple Square, "letting Taros guide him" (which means me), Neasa was just inside Dia's temple, and Olive was just leaving Nuumu's.

Caleb: Mostly, ah, "blowing the scene" lol, but yeah, mostly establishing when Olive inevitably does see the sword, like Caleb says, "he'll know." No guessing about this masterwork.

Aiden: I felt a little compelled to handwave how the dogs might not have found out about the spring drying up until now, so that's why that's there (the council, as established, is always interminably behind so no problems there in my head). I also thought intersecting with the third section was cute, even if it's a little weird, so that's why that's there. Anyway, this also gives Kitt a good spot to follow-up after his council meeting, given that this is (to my memory) the person who inspired him to attend.

Emily: Solved that mystery for you, lol. Or, if you include "what's Emily up to?", I guess that's two mysteries. Neasa's probably going to have to explain her convictions here, to both Emily and to Olive, who is of course welcome to hear any of what's just happened. Maybe some PC interaction? Who knows?

I'll be around as always, for any questions, comments, lines, or concerns. Happy posting!

Kitt was lost in thought...what else could be done at this point with Simon and his cult, with this connection to the stone disease? Talking to the religious council seemed to do nothing, but voice the concerns and the possibilities of them to change things...but to no avail. At this moment, he could only rely on Nessa to possibly do what she could on this situation, otherwise Olivander would end up slaying this blasphemer.

It was at this moment he arrived in the Temple Square, most likely planning to go to Taros' temple to feel more at home and ease...possibly gain insight from the Forge Master or any of the other priests and caretakers of the temple. However, he was stopped suddenly by a familiar face.

“You were just with the council, right?”

"Oh, good morning Aiden." Kitt said with a nod, finally coming out of his thoughts. "Yes, I was with the council...I just left. Why wha-..."

“Are they aware of the water troubles? Galatea’s spring is dry. Did you know?”

This left the Watchdog of the forge dumbstruck as he simply stared at Aiden for a few moments, blinking. "Um...this is news to myself as well. The spring is dry?" he asked, now crossing his arm slightly. "...if I were to guess, this might be the work of Dia and her Watchdog...but I can't be sure. I'm not sure the council knows about this...but then again, they seem to know a lot as it is, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did."

What puzzled him more...was he didn't see much of Dia's Watchdog since the day prior...and he wasn't there this morning. Could Finn's disappearance and the dried up spring here on Galatea be related? It was a plausible guess, but then again...Kitt was not a detective, simply the acolyte of the Forge Master and his greatest creation. "Okay, when did this happen exactly?"