radio414

Götterdämmerung [IC/PG-16/COMPLETED]

Knockin On (Old Man Jones') Door

"The sound in my dream, it wasn’t quite like that -- I don’t think it was thunder -- it was louder, and I think it was closer than that was just now. But it was there. I remember that now. I’m sorry I didn’t mention that before.”

"Oh no, it's perfectly alright. It just means that some new information has been presented to you...so that would definitely be a sign and blessing from Myria." Kitt nodded, rubbing his chin. Something louder and closer than the thunder that is present...what could this be?

“Anyway, we’re here."

True to Eilis' word, they were indeed at the old man's abode, and there like the last time was Brigitte. His mind harkened back to the last time he was here and what he was told before by this very woman: “Forgive me saying so, of course, but I think you watchdogs enjoy watching people agree to your every whim". It was still something that cut him to the bone...but perhaps this wouldn't be the case this time.

“Oh, it’s you, Eilis. And who’s this you’ve brought with you?”

Kitt cleared his throat and moved forward slightly, taking a small bow. "Ma'am. Kitt Axton, Watchdog of Taros." he then moved slightly to stand upright once more. "Upon coming to this island by my patron's will...I was told of an issue that Miss Eilis was dealing with. I had hoped to see about having us speak with the elder and leader of the island about it. Perhaps, as one with more wisdom than I, could possibly glean something from it." Kitt gave a smile, before then simply saying. "However, it would be rude of me to assume anything on an island with such a rich history and even one I'm foreign to. This is all up to you to even entertain this, my dear. After all, I'm nothing but a servant and extension of my patron, but also a gentleman. So if you say the word, I shall leave...though it would hurt me to leave quite the beautiful sight standing before me."

The whole idea of Brigitte mentioning that Watchdogs like to watch everyone giving into their every whim was something that he desperately tried to avoid with this. That's the reason he did what he could to turn the charm up to the nth degree. And then again, he realized he mentioned about Corpus having a rich history...meaning he let slip that this was something he knew. He prayed silently to Taros that neither her nor Eilis caught attention to this. If anything...he could always say that Taros gave him a bit of an insight on what he was to expect...though he'd probably beg for Taros' forgiveness on this matter of lying later.

Boys At School

It was a lot different than the first time he’d led this watchdog around, David thought. At the very least, he’d already asked if Pfeifer was going to be okay so he had that sort of peace of mind. Plus, now he was a squire, and everyone knew that that was cool. And he had ideas as to where Pfeifer could be, too. He just hoped the watchdog thought they were good ideas. “There are two spots we should probably look,” he said. “Like, he could be anywhere in this forest, but if I haven’t found him already, I don’t think we’re going to find him doing that, unless you have, like, super finding powers that you haven’t told me about. That leaves in town, and like, that’s probably where he went in the first place after sending me off into the forest, so that would make sense. He does that a lot, actually.

“But on the way, I mean, since it’s there, we can check out the cave. It is our meetup spot, after all, so maybe he didn’t think I’d go off as far as I did or whatever and is there waiting for me.”

Sweet Talk

Brigitte spent Kitt’s introduction half sizing the watchdog up and half continuing to focus on her kitchen work. When he got to the end, she said, “Eilis, dear, is Grayson still using that feed I gave him?”

“Yes m’m,” Eilis said. “We’ll have to get the recipe when we run out, though we never seem to, or we haven’t just yet. It’s a huge help since his crops haven’t been doing so well lately.”

“Oh, sure. The Mills have been having the same issues,” Brigitte said. Then she turned away from her work to face Kitt. “You watchdogs are all the same. Is this the same thing Flynt was over here yesterday about?” She didn’t wait for an answer. “Suppose it doesn’t really matter to me. Not like I can say no anyway, can I? My husband is upstairs, surveying his domain, though perhaps I should warn you: he is about as receptive to flattery as I am.”

Awaken

Pfeifer wasn’t immediately visible as David approached the cave, but that -- specifically, at least -- didn’t bother him. Even after calling out his name and seeing no movement he mostly remained undeterred. The only problem was that he could still be there. “The cave is, um, it’s a bit deeper than you might think. There’s a turn as you go down and then it gets dark, but if you keep going it opens up and there’s light again and sometimes Pfeifer will go there to get away, ‘cause, uh…”

His hesitation was longer than one might have expected. “Okay, so don’t tell Pfeifer I said this, but I hate that turn. I said it gets dark and maybe you think that’s fine but it gets really dark, and there’s this feeling I get, I dunno how to describe it. It’s not fear -- I’m not scared of anything -- but I guess it’s kind of like there’s a pit in my stomach and it only gets wider every step I take until I finally reach the other side. And there’s this sound… That one I definitely can’t describe. Pfeifer doesn’t seem to mind, but yeah.

“I can do it though if I have to,” he concluded. “And like I said, if he’s not in town, he’s probably in there.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are Spellling songs

I feel like my language in this post is a little vague, which was intentional since it's character voices, but because that's bad RP I'll do my best to clarify here.

Kitt: "Yesterday" for Brigitte means from Brigitte's point of view, which is different to the times I've written yesterday to mean the previous time loop, because Brigitte obviously isn't aware of exolvuntur. Other than that, I hope the only other question is "why didn't you use that line even after you threatened too?" and the answer to that is because I decided to pull over some other lines instead. That doesn't mean it's entirely off the table though, obviously.

Olive: Yeah David's afraid of the dark lmao. Feel free to DM me about the actual experience of walking deeper into the cave, though, because that's not the only thing about the cavern if you decide to go looking for Pfeifer in there (also let me know if you're bringing David with you or not).

Happy Page Nine, hope things are well

-r

Edited by radio414

Not Like Others

“You watchdogs are all the same. Is this the same thing Flynt was over here yesterday about? Suppose it doesn’t really matter to me. Not like I can say no anyway, can I? My husband is upstairs, surveying his domain, though perhaps I should warn you: he is about as receptive to flattery as I am.”

Yet again, Brigitte's words cut Kitt deep. Did people always think like this about Watchdogs? He really hoped not...but either way, he sighed and nodded slowly. "Thank you ma'am. And if I may...I'm not like many other Watchdogs...I don't know what has given you this idea that we all are the same, but I'll be the first to say that I'm not like them...and that includes my former mentor."

He simply let that last part go, before making his way upstairs. Why did she specifically think all Watchdogs were the same...that they enjoy watching people agree to their every whim? Could it be the lack of worship brought here? It could be...but then again, who could be sure. Regardless, Kitt made his way up to Old Man Jones' room, before being addressed by the old man.

"So Flynt's gotten someone else to do the petitioning for him, hm?"

"Kitt Axton sir...and no...my former mentor didn't put me up to this. If he did, he probably would've come with me just to bolster his image with you." Kitt cleared his throat some. "I actually came after hearing Miss Eilis' dream recounted to me...and was hoping to possibly glean some insight from this place's leader."

Jones didn't move a muscle, continuing to stare out his bedroom window as he said, "Though I don't doubt Missus Eilis' prescience, I can't help but believe that we'll survive whatever it is. That's what happens when all we have to go on are vagaries and symbolic dreams. We've survived such things before. If we knew- If there was a way to know what is going to happen outside of 'disaster', obviously I would do something, but that hasn't happened, so I don't."

"I understand. I've been told the general history of Corpus...how you are quite the resilient people. So I have no doubt in what you say, sir." Kitt nodded, before continuing. "I also understand that the dream of hers is vague and symbolic, and if I were a Watchdog of Myria, perhaps i could enlighten this dream more. But also, I'm simply a Dog of the forge. That doesn't mean I won't still help regardless. With that being said, Jones sir, I'd like to ask you...has anything happened within the last few days...weeks...months that might've spurred a change in the status quo?"

"The storm is new," Jones said. "I was impressed your ship even made it through that. For something that just showed up today, it certainly looks powerful, and it's enveloped the entire island. But things before today... there was a sound coming from Mount Vermeer like a low roar, I suppose. That was, ahhh, a few days ago, though it hasn't happened since."

"A low roar sound from the mountain?" Kitt repeated before rubbing his chin. "Hmmm something like that would definitely coincide with what Miss Eilis mentioned of a sound of thunder but not exactly thunder..." The Watchdog immediately pulled his notebook out and began to write a few things down. "The storm and then the low roar from Mount Vermeer. I'll probably get with my comrade to take a look at the mountain just to investigate. Thank you, Jones sir. Whatever is happening here, I'll do my best to assist and help that spirit of survival, just as the myth of Corpus depicted the young lady that Dia took sympathy on." He closed his notebook and prepared to leave. It sounded like he needed to return to Mount Vermeer.

The Shadows Have Teeth

Olivander could only smile as David admitted to his fear of the dark. However, he kept a feeling in the back of his mind that told him to be cautious and not to take David's words for granted. "My young squire," Olivander said as he stooped a bit to look David in the eye. "You've been a valuable part of this journey. But, a leader should not send in his men to do something he would not. Therefore, please allow me to take this leg of the journey alone. I'll report back with my findings as soon as I'm able."

Without another word, Olivander stood up and entered the cave. Naturally, it was dark. That was to be expected, of course. This was an enclosed structure of rock that only allowed light on one of two ends of its entirety. But, as Olivander moved further along, the darkness seem to expand in all directions around him. As he wound a corner, Olivander suddenly felt lost. His sense of direction had been swallowed by the intense blackness of this cave. It was just as David had described, but was much more intense in person. Each step further into the darkness made Olivander question why any sane person would come this way. Furthermore, it made him question if he was sane to have pursued this route to find Pfeifer.

A moment passed, and Olivander suddenly got a chill up his spine. A quiet rumble beneath his feet made Olivander feel uneasy. It was like he was walking through the lungs of a sleeping giant. The whole cave seemed be alive, breathing in and out. "What the fuck is with this cave?" he whispered aloud to himself. He then quickly wished he hadn't said that aloud, for fear that something would answer back to him. The unnatural darkness coupled with the trembling earth was enough to keep the Watchdog on edge. Thankfully, he could finally see daylight a few meters ahead of him. He sprinted toward it, stumbling over a rock, and landing in the dirt with his knees.

With a huff, Olivander looked up to the sky, thankful that he could see the listless skies. Their boring, empty blue was more than welcome than darkness and rumbling. A deep sigh escaped Olivander as he lowered his head, only to find himself staring directly at Pfeifer. He chuckled to himself before he addressed the boy. Pfeifer was sitting with his knees to his chest, also admiring the clearing above him. "David said you would be here. You look like you're in deep thought," Olivander said, finally sitting on his butt and crossing his legs.

"What's on your mind?" he asked of Pfeifer.

Millicent Didn’t Want To Wait For It To Get Better

“You might have to kill me,” Pfeifer said. He was oddly calm despite saying such words, his voice about as level as Olive had experienced it the two “days” he’d been on Corpus. He didn’t look away from the sky either, that single line was the only (initial) sign that he’d even acknowledged the watchdog’s presence in the cavernous room at all. He did have more to say, though. “I dunno, I guess I didn’t expect exactly what I was getting or everything that comes with it and I just came here to think about it. Not like David can come in here looking for me and I don’t think a grown-up even leaves the village unless they get dragged by someone else. I admit I was going to say it in here before I realized someone could probably hear me through that so now here I am, just kind of staring.

“It’s a cool spot, though, right? Definitely the most ‘away’ spot on the island, I think. I like the feeling of it. Have you heard Corpus’ origin story? How Dia summoned the island up from the depths? I’m not as good a storyteller as grandpa, you should hear him tell it, but Mount Vermeer would have been the first thing breaching the water. The mountain’s important to this island, I think. You felt it too, right? The mountain feels alive.”

Pfeifer blushed and a wry grin crossed his face. “Sorry, grown-ups get kind of weird when I get like that, though in fairness, you kind of asked for it wondering what’s on my mind.”

Lust For Timing

David kicked a rock outside the cave as he paced back and forth outside its entrance. He’d kind of just let the watchdog go into the cave alone without any sort of company, and with such a line like “A leader should not send his men yadda yadda yadda” that only made him feel guilty for not insisting on coming with. Imagine if Pfeifer was in there! Even if the watchdog reprimanded Pfeifer like he said he would, there was no way Pfeifer wasn’t in turn going to make fun of him forever. He almost was about to charge in after just for that, but just as he was psyching himself up for such an act, he spotted another grown-up making his way up the hill.

He recognized them not by name but by title, like, Headman Flynt had probably said his name back on the docks that morning but all he really remembered was that this was the other watchdog, the one Flynt had helped train. “Hey!” he called out, with one hand cupped near his mouth and one pointing at the cave. “If you’re looking for your friend, he’s in there. Uh, he should be right out, I think, whether Pfeifer’s in there or not, so you can just hang out here, I guess.” That way he didn’t have to think about whether to go in or not -- now he had the excuse that he was with someone in the meantime.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are songs by The World/Inferno Friendship Society yes that's their full name shut up it's punk

Moved Kitt to outside the cave with David since that was where it seemed like he was headed. If you want you can add a line from Old Man Jones as he leaves there: "Now where did he hear that story from?" mumbled to himself, but other events in the house are similar to yesterday -- Eilis stays behind to get that feed recipe from Brigitte. If you still need or want more there we can play with the chronology a bit, just let me know. You can also go into the cave after them if you want, in which case you'll experience the same phenomena as Olive (if you want how I described it to Duck, just lemme know).

Speaking of Olive, a reminder that Pfeifer is Old Man Jones' grandson. That came up in an offhand line from David yesterday and not really referenced otherwise so it's alright if you've forgotten. He's touching on a lot of things here, from the nature of these words of power to want to be shared (though he hasn't yet) to talking about the properties of Mount Vermeer itself.

I feel like, with the information you've collectively received, you two might be able to figure something out, but that's my bias in knowing what the possible answers are. I can definitely give a few more hints ic -- just let me know what questions you have and for whom -- but I said "possible answers" for a reason. If your conclusion is sound enough, I'm not going to be like "naaaah it was this other, similar thing instead". Hopefully that makes sense.

-r

Lost

“You might have to kill me,” Pfeifer said.

Those words rang in Olivander's ears for what seemed like an eternity. His heart lumped into his throat for fear what he may have to do. As the sentence reached its end, Olivander felt his hand twitch. He was already prepared to keep his word. Then, Pfeifer went on and time resumed.

“I dunno, I guess I didn’t expect exactly what I was getting or everything that comes with it and I just came here to think about it."

Olivander only stared at Pfeifer. "More responsibility than you thought it would be? Is that it?"

"I admit I was going to say it in here before I realized someone could probably hear me through that so now here I am, just kind of staring," Pfeifer answered.

Olivander finally smirked softly, his racing heart slowing down. "Are you afraid that you'll slip up and say something you shouldn't?" Olivander wasn't actually expecting Pfeifer to answer. He could read the boy's face and know what he would say.

“It’s a cool spot, though, right? Definitely the most ‘away’ spot on the island, I think. I like the feeling of it. Have you heard Corpus’ origin story? How Dia summoned the island up from the depths?"

"Can't say that I have," Olivander said with a shrug. He folded his arms and pressed his back to the cavern. He tilted his head to the sky and listened to Pfeifer. "Will you tell me about it?"

"I’m not as good a storyteller as grandpa, you should hear him tell it, but Mount Vermeer would have been the first thing breaching the water. The mountain’s important to this island, I think. You felt it too, right? The mountain feels alive.”

He chuckled at Pfeifer's words. "You couldn't be more right. The mountain seemed to breathe as I walked deeper into the cavern. It was as though it sensed my presence and reacted to me. I don't know if it reacted negatively or positively, of course," Olivander said with a laugh. "Though, I imagine if I were a threat to a mighty mountain, I would not have found you on this side. Rather, I would've been a splattered mess amidst the rocks that make up the cavern." Olivander sounded as though he was comfortable. He had already accepted death and didn't expect to live a long life. He had also seen enough of it that it didn't scar or repulse him.

“Sorry, grown-ups get kind of weird when I get like that, though in fairness, you kind of asked for it wondering what’s on my mind.”

Olivander let out a more hearty laugh now. It echoed through the cavern behind him as he did so. "Then, I guess I had that coming." Finally catching his breath, Olivander sat up straight, his back still against the mountain. "What were you hoping for, Pfeifer? I did try to warn you. But we pushed, and here we are. I recognize that you're now carrying a heavy burden. It's not one that a child should carry. You have too long a life to live. So where do you go from here?"

Found

"Thank you, Jones sir. Whatever is happening here, I'll do my best to assist and help that spirit of survival, just as the myth of Corpus depicted the young lady that Dia took sympathy on."

"Now where did he hear that story from?" Old Man Jones would mutter to himself, but Kitt caught it.

He saw it better not to answer that right now, but nevertheless, things practically were doing what they did the last time: Eilis remained behind to get the feed recipe from Brigitte. Only difference here, was that Kitt simply smiled and bid his farewell to the two ladies. For now, he needed to hurry to the mountain as quick as he possibly could...and this time, unlike last time, hopefully Hinder's Dog would be there.

Once again, he trudged his way down the path to Mount Vermeer, just like he did before. The only upside to doing things in a repeated day: you had knowledge of where to go and knew how to get there. Maybe that was the only good thing about it...but at the risk of angering the gods, probably not the reason to invoke such a powerful word.

“Hey!”

Kitt looked up, noticing the young child that was waving him down, David. Which meant that Olive probably was with Pfeifer. "I suppose you must be the welcome wagon, huh?" he chuckled, waving at the young kid.

“If you’re looking for your friend, he’s in there. Uh, he should be right out, I think, whether Pfeifer’s in there or not, so you can just hang out here, I guess.”

Hearing this, Kitt could tell there was a bit uneasiness to his voice. Upon reaching finally where the young boy stood, he could tell why. It was a cave, pretty dark too. It made sense, lots of kids were scared of the dark in some fashion. But the Watchdog of Taros only smiled, before kneeling down to get to eye level with the young boy. "Well I thank you for telling me that. Though I'm sure, just by the look on your face, your kinda worried about your friend..." he ruffled the boy's hair some. "And luckily for you...I'm a Watchdog of the Forge...we always come prepared."

And just like that, he moved and grabbed from his bag a few things: some tinder and some flint and steel. Moving again, he grabbed a bit of a fallen branch and fashioned it out some. Returning back to the spot he was before, the young forge Dog was already making a small fire in which he put on the branch and then... "Viola...now we have a torch." Kitt said happily, moving slowly towards the mouth of the cave. He turned towards David and held out a hand towards the young boy. "How about we go find our friends together? I'm sure he'd appreciate having his best friend check up on him."

Left Out In The Cold

David looked down at his feet and shuffled around, unsure of exactly what he was supposed to do here. He was sure if Pfeifer was in there then that other watchdog would have found him. Like really, what was probably going on was that he was reprimanding Pfeifer for not being a squire and they’d be right out. But of course, if the other dog was now about to go in, that meant maybe the first one had failed? Was that how that worked? David wasn’t sure, but what he was becoming increasingly sure about was that he definitely needed to find out. Even if it meant, well… “Yeah, sure,” he said, trying to sound as brave as he really wasn’t. “We should stay close though in case you get scared.”

It was pretty bad, even with the torch. He could see, but that didn’t stop everything else about the cave. The rumbling, for example, started even before the turn as something light enough to barely hear but he could already feel it through his feet and up into his legs. And the torch didn’t do much in the dark, even though it was, you know, a torch. He could see, sure, but only barely; it felt like the watchdog had a larger-than-normal candle. And as they kept going the rumble only kept getting worse.

Then the torch went out entirely.

The mountain let out a thunderous roar, the hum reverberated underneath each step something fierce, and David immediately snapped to the watchdog’s leg like that was any protection against what was surely coming. It took all he had just to keep going forward. He could just barely see the light ahead, so that’s what he focused on, closer and closer until finally…

When Do I Get To Sing “My Way”

“I told you what I wanted,” Pfeifer said. “I said I wanted David to know what was going on too but I had to compromise and just get the word for just me. That doesn’t mean I don’t want what I got, though but it does mean I still kind of want what I wanted in the first place. Er…” He took a moment to make sure all those wants lined up properly. “Yeah, no, I knew it was important, that’s why Flynt spent most of the days wanting nothing to do with me once he found out I knew.

“As for what I’m going to do next, I mean, that’s why I got David to go off treasure hunting: to try and figure that out, ‘cause I’m still not sure. But hey, I’m still alive, right? And like you said, I’ll probably be alive for a while. I’ve got time to figure that out. 

“Anyway,” Pfeifer shifted his position a little, extending his legs out and bracing his weight against his hands that were now pressed into the ground, “again, I’m not very good at telling this story, but basically someone prayed to Dia to take her away and she made a brand new island -- Corpus -- to do that. And like I said I bet the woman saw the mountain breach the water first, like, I bet that was the first sign that her prayers had been answered. Seriously, though, I’m not kidding when I-”

Pfeifer’s admonishment of having to go outside of his comfort zone was interrupted by David and the other watchdog stumbling their way into the light. The second they caught Pfeifer’s gaze, he couldn’t help but let out an “Oh, wow.” He even said it again, and louder. “Oh wow, you really wanted to find me if you managed to get in here, huh David? I’m actually impressed.”

“Don’t know why you’d think that,” David said back. “At least I don’t get weird every time I think I see a -”

“Okay, okay.” Pfeifer was quick to stop him there. “Well, you’ve found me. Now what?”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are Sparks songs

Pretty self-explanatory on both ends, I think. Olive's got answers to most of his questions while Kitt and David experience the same tunnel Olive did in two of his posts ago, and it ends with everyone in the same area, (I assume) ready to figure things out. I'll be around if you have questions, obviously.

glhf

-r

Kitt Gets a Clue, and Olive Too!

"Good...good to see you both in one piece." Kitt let out a slight chuckle, tossing the makeshift torch away for a bit now that it's purpose had been served. "Sorry we're late."

“Oh wow, you really wanted to find me if you managed to get in here, huh David? I’m actually impressed.”
“Don’t know why you’d think that. At least I don’t get weird every time I think I see a -”
“Okay, okay. Well, you’ve found me. Now what?”

While the two young boys talked, the Watchdogs moved aside to speak. At this point it was time for them to regroup and recollect their thoughts.

"I suppose our patrons were thinking on the same wavelength in leading us here." Kitt nodded firmly, already pulling his notebook out. "What did you learn on your side, Olive? I'll give a report on what I know afterwards." Same time, last time he said this...which was the first go round on this day, he got practically yelled at by Hinder's Dog. He prayed this time he wouldn't get the same result.

Olivander sighed softly as he tucked his hands into his pockets. “Well, from what I learned, this… ‘mountain’, -- the living, breathing, bloody thing -- is where Corpus came from. It literally jutted out of the ocean thanks to a prayer to Lord Dia. It’s incredibly important to the people and the history of Corpus,” Olivander explained.

"Oh? You learned about the creation myth story of Corpus?" Kitt asked in a quiet tone, already flipping through his notebook to find what he rewrote down about this. "Jones told me on our first time around here...about the time you came in to get me regarding the boys. Aside from that, it was more than that. She fled from a loveless marriage and prayed to any god…it just so happened that Dia was the one who took pity on her. And like you said, the island was born."

Kitt paused, collecting his thoughts and his breath. "He said that the people embody that woman's spirit to determine their own fate...they're survivors. Which is the reason why no matter how much before that Flynt said for them to leave due to Eilis' dream...they would remain...to survive."

Olivander scratched his head. "Dream? Of what? What could be so frightening in a dream that it would convince Flynt that the people of Corpus needed to flee?"

“Ah right, I don’t think I got a chance to explain that dream to you before.” Kitt nodded, already flipping back to the area with the dream on it. “According to Eilis, one of the townspeople, a real cute girl...unfortunately has a guy from what I can teeeeell...” he paused, noticing a slight look from Olive before clearing his throat. “...getting off topic with information not relevant, noted. Anyway...apparently according to her, Myria has blessed her with a single tableau image...but it speaks volumes.”

Taking another breath, Kitt continued. “She saw withered crops, sick livestock and bitter black snow...which is odd given the sky is clear as it is now. The dream comes an hour before midnight, every single night.” He closed the book and sighed. “And according to her, there was a sound of thunder...but not quite thunder in her dream...so something louder and closer. Though I’m betting the sound she’s heard is the same one Jones has mentioned to me today. There was a low roar coming from the mountain that he said happened about...a few days ago.”

“And that’s all I’ve got. So, we need to try and piece this together...what do we have?” Kitt asked, crossing his arms with another sigh.

Olivander’s eyes seemed to burst from their sockets. “Wait. Waitwaitwait. Bloody hell,” Olivander said. “Black snow. The island being birthed from the waters by Dia. The rumbling. Kitt!” Olivander began yelling. “The island! I-i-i-it’s--!” Olivander stammered. He began whispering and stepped closer to Kitt so that David and Pfeifer wouldn’t hear him.

“I-- I think the black snow… Well, we know snow isn’t black. But what if the snow she saw falling was ash. A-a-a-and the rumbling. The rumbling! It’s a volcano! That’s what the sound is! It has to be!” Olivander was excited, even though he shouldn’t be. A smile had reached each end of his face. But, he wasn’t excited because of what could possibly be impending doom. Rather, he was happy that he and Kitt had figured this all out.

His smile quickly faded however, as his peripheral vision caught a glimpse of Pfeifer and David. “But, if it is a volcano, how do we save the people of Corpus? They can’t all fit onto the Swallow Tail… can they?” Olivander rubbed his chin. “And Flynt. Does he know it's a volcano?” Olivander was quickly becoming frustrated again. “Gah! Damn it all!” he snapped.

“Wait...wait...are you…?” Kitt was shocked that this was all something to take into consideration but he paused to look at everything again. By all accounts, Olive was right. The black snow being ash...an island with the mountain springing up from the waters first...even the rumblings being that of thunder, but not quite thunder. It was like it had just slapped him in the face. “...damnit...if that’s the case...shit shit shit...okay. You may just be right...I can’t believe I didn’t see that before.” Kitt ran a hand through his hair. “...but I don’t think evacuation is going to be an option. Jones, like I said, basically is saying no matter what they’ll endure and survive...so there may be some other method...a-anyway, we need a plan...” He now started to speak in a normal volume. “We need a meeting between Jones, Eilis, Flynt and us...immediately. Get the boys back home and get the necessary people to talk to about this...”

Out of Time

Olivander only nodded before turning around to David and Pfeifer. "Boys, I'm asking you to trust me. The people of Corpus are in a lot of danger, and I need to get you away from the mountain immediately." Without waiting for their permission, Olivander took both boys by their hands and sprinted toward the cavern. His eyes flickered with a golden hue as he, David, and Pfeifer all became intangible for a few minutes. This made their journey through the hellish, dark cavern much faster, and allowed them to reach the opposite side in record time. As they returned to daylight, Olivander finally let go of the boys' hands as he looked them in the face. "Get back to your homes. Go to your parents. Gather your things. Corpus is no longer safe."

Olivander hadn't shown either David or Pfeifer this side of him, so he felt a little uneasy telling them this. He wanted to turn his back and hope they would obey him, but he decided he should give them the whole truth. "My fellow Watchdog and I... we have reason to believe this mountain is a volcano. It could erupt within the day. I know that sounds scary, but please, don't go running off to tell the whole town. Not yet, at least. If we incite panic, it will make things much more difficult. I'm only telling you this because I've learned to trust you both. I'm hoping that you'll trust me as well. For now, I have a lot to do if we want to get people out in time. So please, just get home for now. I'll come for you. Both of you."

Olivander began racing back to town, dodging trees with reckless abandon and sliding through underbrush like a madman. As he saw the edge of Corpus, he picked up his pace and made a dash toward Flynt's home. With more of his disregard for public property, he made himself intangible once more and sprinted through entire homes and businesses just to make sure he got to Flynt's residence as quickly as possible. When he finally crossed the threshold of Flynt's doorway, he stopped to catch his breath. He entered without knocking, still panting all the while.

"Flynt," he said between breaths. "Did-- did you know-- it was a volcano?" Olivander finally asked as he stormed through the man's home. He sat back in his previous place when he last ate in Flynt's home. "By the way," he said as he finally managed to slow his breathing. He let out a heavy sigh. "In case I die today, I just wanted to say, you're a very handsome man. Very handsome. Also, Kitt wants you to meet with Jones and Eilis immediately. If we're to have any chance of saving these people, we'll have to work together."

The Valentian Speculation

Flynt repeated the question. “Did I know Mount Vermeer was a volcano?” he said, his voice containing a mixture of shock from Olive’s sudden reappearance and worry. “I realize this may incriminate me further in your eyes, but yes, I knew. In fairness, many people do; I’m sure Helmsley does, for example, if you asked him the same question. But my understanding was that it was extinct. That has been since before the world ended; the only reason we even know what it once was is because of old stories told again and again. If you say that is not the case, however, I believe you. I can do that much, at least.”

He noticed Olive was still breathing heavily after what was presumably a mad dash back to his house and left him sitting at the table for a moment to go get some water. When Flynt came back, though, was when Olive made his confession, which nearly sent the water all over the dining room floor. “Well,” he said as he recovered, “I suppose it’s nice to be appreciated. As to the other thing you said, though, as you have revealed your cares and your worries to me, I can offer this, then, too, in addition to my belief: my comfort. Remember, Olive, today has already happened. It has only happened once for you and that day was rather truncated, but before you arrived I only used the rite at midnight. We know what’s going to happen today, the earliest anything new can happen is after that. If we’re going to die, it’s not going to be today.”

He might have said more, but Kevin interrupted, appearing at Flynt’s doorway with a cross look on his face. “Flynt, I’ve got to talk to you,” he said. “I-”

“You’re thinking of leaving Corpus,” Flynt said. “And you know what? You should. You can even start packing your bags now. Follow your dreams.”

“Really?” Kevin was obviously surprised, first at the immediate affirmation and then… “Wait, how’d you even know what I was going to-”

Flynt cut Kevin off with a wave of his hand. “Unfortunately, I’m busy right now, but I can explain my reasoning later if you would like. For now, I can only hope that you heed my advice.” He turned to Olive. “Well, I suppose we should rouse the old guard hm?”

Procession to Apocalypse

“The old guard,” as requested, was the two watchdogs, Flynt, Eilis, and Old Man Jones. Brigitte was also there, sitting next to Jones, refusing to leave his side, just as Jones had refused to hold the council anywhere other than his room. The gathering had taken some doing since they’d ran into those conditions first before making the trek back across the village to fetch Eilis from her home, but such obstacles were quickly overcome. Everyone who needed to be there was there.

“Already had a talk about the end of the world today, Flynt,” Jones said. “That watchdog over there --” he made a motion towards Kitt “-- marched Eilis right in here and said many of the same things you did yesterday. I’ve allowed you to enter my home yet again, but I have to ask, what makes this one worth all the trouble?”

“I do apologize,” Flynt said. “In truth, I only organized this meeting; this was requested by the actual religious authority among us, and in a moment I will let them speak how they like, but first, allow me to say that I always have respected your judgement in spite of our differences, and I hope that-”

“I expected this from the newcomers, Flynt. You should know better,” Jones said. “If you want to start the meeting in my good graces, just answer my question.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are songs by a band called Annunaki. There are a lot of bands called that, though; I'm talking about AnnunakiBC, as their bandcamp page calls them.

As promised, I had Flynt answer and then brought everyone to form the council. In terms of the former, I gave kind of a weasel answer to Olive's flirting since he's not really my character, but I hope he expressed enough compassion either way. Everything else should be pretty clear, you've got an opportunity now to argue your case for however you're going to solve this problem. Let me know if you need any lines from any of the four NPCs in the room or if you have any questions, but yeah, the floor is yours, go save the world.

-r

Edited by radio414

Cards on the Table

“Already had a talk about the end of the world today, Flynt. That watchdog over there -- marched Eilis right in here and said many of the same things you did yesterday. I’ve allowed you to enter my home yet again, but I have to ask, what makes this one worth all the trouble?"

Kitt was a bit nervous right now...Jones was, for all intents and purposes, quite agitated about this...even Brigitte seemed it. Nevertheless, like a blade, he steeled his resolve and let out a small exhale, while Flynt continued.

“I do apologize. In truth, I only organized this meeting; this was requested by the actual religious authority among us, and in a moment I will let them speak how they like, but first, allow me to say that I always have respected your judgement in spite of our differences, and I hope that-”
“I expected this from the newcomers, Flynt. You should know better. If you want to start the meeting in my good graces, just answer my question.”

"Then I suppose we should just begin then." Kitt finally spoke up, motioning for Flynt to take a seat. It was only him and Olivander at this point...by the grace of both Taros and Hinder, they needed to have these people see reason.

"I was the one to have this meeting and gathering called, not because I'm a Watchdog that loves to have everyone follow my words..." Kitt stopped to look at Brigitte, before continuing. "...but because my heart does not want to see any form of calamity befall anyone. And unfortunately, we believe that there is a calamity to befall the island of Corpus." He immediately took out his notebook and exhaled again.

"Miss Eilis provided a dream that Myria blessed her with...a tableau image that spoke volumes." he paused, before reciting word for word what she said and then proceeding. "She also made mentioning of the sounds of thunder...but not thunder. This would coincide with what Jones would tell me about hearing not too long ago...specifically coming from Mount Vermeer. And my associate and comrade here even said that the rumblings of Mount Vermeer seemed...alive."

He closed the book suddenly and put it away. "We were unaware that Mount Vermeer was a volcano...inactive, but a volcano nonetheless until recently. But, things are adding up now. The black snow in Eilis' dream, it's not snow...it's ash. The sounds of thunder...the volcano is beginning to stir. And if what Myria warned Eilis about is true...then I fear that Corpus will have a great travesty befall it."

"And what do we say to death, today?"

While Olivander's poor attempt to woo Flynt had failed, he was more concerned with the way that Jones seemed to be disconnected from everything. With the most important people in Corpus assembled, Jones seemed more concerned with folks being in his good graces than the safety of his people. Rather, he was likely not a pious person and to hear the contant threat of death loomed over his people made him irate. But what made Olivander irate was the way that Jones was going about it. Through gritted teeth, he listened to Jones' back and forth with Flynt before Kitt finally decided to be the adult in the room.

"We were unaware that Mount Vermeer was a volcano...inactive, but a volcano nonetheless until recently. But, things are adding up now. The black snow in Eilis' dream, it's not snow...it's ash. The sounds of thunder...the volcano is beginning to stir. And if what Myria warned Eilis about is true...then I fear that Corpus will have a great travesty befall it."

Olivander quickly added to Kitt's words before Jones could utter a peep. "And if you don't want to see the people of Corpus turn to dust, then it is time for you all to evacuate." Judging by his only brief examination of Jones', Olivander knew that wouldn't happen. So he took things a step further. "Let me be clear. This is no longer a recommendation. It is mandatory. I can't promise you another grand life, and I recognize what Corpus means to your people. If you choose to stay, then I won't argue with you. But I will, shortly after this meeting, inform the people of the coming danger. Those who wish to leave will board the Swallow Tail," Olivander said, motioning in the direction of the docked ship. "The captain can have my head later."

Olivander wasn't excited to hear Jones' rebuttal. He knew full well that it would upset him. Regardless, he braced himself for the coming argument and what would hopefully result in the safe passage of the people of Corpus. "The gods will guide us, and your people, somewhere safe."

The End Of Their World Is Coming!

The very first thing Jones said as soon as Olive finished was, “Well, if you say we don’t have to do it, is it really mandatory then?” with a light chuckle attached.

“You watchdogs do enjoy telling people what to do, hm?” Brigitte added. “Getting everyone to agree to your every whim?”

Still, Old Man Jones maintained his control of the room. “Eilis, these dogs here seem to be speaking for you but I haven’t heard you speak yet. Do you share their interpretation of your dreams or have they just been dragging you around these past few days?”

Eilis shrunk into her chair. “This is the first time I’m hearing about Mount Vermeer about to erupt, um, but If they say that’s what is going to happen, I believe them.”

“Alright,” Jones said. “Alright. Well, I don’t see a reason, then, to rebel against the gods, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have further questions. The biggest one of course is this: how do you expect us to evacuate? You said the Swallow Tail, which I assume is the ship you came in on? I may not leave this room very often, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know what’s going on on this island. That ship is currently grounded, isn’t it? Engine troubles because of the storm? How long will those repairs take, do you think? Say those repairs are expedited to the point that the Swallow Tail can fly at all. You would have everyone on the island board a ship that can only limp its way into a maelstrom?

“Of course, the other option would be to wait, correct?” Jones continued. “Wait until this ship is shipshape and protected and ready to weather the storm? But then Corpus continues to live in the shadow of the mountain. Who is to say it won’t erupt tomorrow? You certainly haven’t been forthcoming on the detail of ‘when,’ neither here nor the other times you have come here demanding action. I suppose all this can be summed up simply: is there a way to get off this island safely? Is there really?”

Flynt, who had been dutifully silent since having been dismissed earlier, finally spoke back up. “I can think of one way, but, and forgive me for this, I am hesitant to say it here. Know that the watchdogs know what I am talking about, though, and if they just say the word…”

Jones’ chuckle turned to an outright laugh! “Oho! That’s rich. But alright…” He turned back to the watchdogs. “I didn’t say solutions don’t exist; there surely must be something, and if you answer my questions, I will assent. But they must be answered. You’ve still given me too many unknowns otherwise.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Dead Meat album and also the title song off that album so it's basically a twofer.

I'm not saying that the solutions Jones or Flynt are giving are the only solutions. They are there to both show their perspectives on the problem and also at least put some answers on the table if you can't think of anything else. There isn't really much else to say, though, guess that's what happens when everyone is all in one room together.

Hope you're well,

-r

The Brightest Dumb Idea

Olivander bit his thumb. He'd forgotten to account for repairs. But this time, he had Flynt. The time it would take to repair the Swallowtail could effectively amount to zero. The idea alone made him cackle like a witch. He quickly composed himself as Flynt further pushed him in the direction he wanted to go.

“I can think of one way, but, and forgive me for this, I am hesitant to say it here. Know that the watchdogs know what I am talking about, though, and if they just say the word…”

“I didn’t say solutions don’t exist; there surely must be something, and if you answer my questions, I will assent. But they must be answered. You’ve still given me too many unknowns otherwise," the geezer replied.

"Do it," Olivander said to Flynt as he looked him in the face. "If it means you can get the Swallowtail repaired with no time lost, then do it. You have my full confidence behind you."

Olivander could feel the look Kitt was giving him now. He was fine with it. He knew Kitt wouldn't agree with his methods. This, however, was a surefire solution to their timing problem. But Olivander also knew what the gods would think. Was this about them, or was this about the people? "Too much, and Dia may very well cause the mountain to erupt prematurely. Too little, and we get caught in the blast. We have to take the risk," he thought to himself.

Belay That

Of course, Olivander went the route of blatantly telling them that they needed to evacuate. Kitt sighed internally for a moment, really hoping that he could've gotten back around to saying something aside from "You need to evacuate right now", seeing as they did embody the spirit of the woman that Dia helped to survive. Nevertheless, now there was silence again...and then the opposition spoke up.

“Well, if you say we don’t have to do it, is it really mandatory then?”
“You watchdogs do enjoy telling people what to do, hm? Getting everyone to agree to your every whim?”

Yet again...Brigitte said this...why was this the case? What did she have against them or better yet, Watchdogs in general? Regardless, while he lamented this whole situation, Jones was speaking about how they'd evacuate via the Swallow Tail, which unfortunately, was currently under repairs...and then Flynt said the dumbest thing he could...and what was more, was Olivander agreed.

“I can think of one way, but, and forgive me for this, I am hesitant to say it here. Know that the watchdogs know what I am talking about, though, and if they just say the word…”
"Do it. If it means you can get the Swallowtail repaired with no time lost, then do it. You have my full confidence behind you."

Kitt looked at the two before giving them the most sternest of looks, at this point if it was possible...his eyes would be throwing daggers right now. He lifted up a finger towards them and exhaled slowly, apparently choosing not to unleash a rage at them. "...only...if the situation calls for it. It is a last resort...I refuse to have that spoken again. Unless the gods themselves deem it worthy, I will belay that idea right here and now." he slowly turned his attention away from Flynt and Olivander, exhaling again.

“I didn’t say solutions don’t exist; there surely must be something, and if you answer my questions, I will assent. But they must be answered. You’ve still given me too many unknowns otherwise.”

"And answers you shall receive, sir. However..." Kitt turned his attention to Brigitte. "Allow me one question...and please don't find me rude or insensitive about this, ma'am...but do you have something against Watchdogs? I have been trying my hardest to show that I have nothing but the interests and safety of the islands and their people at heart...yet...you say these things as if you don't believe that. So please, help my ignorance in these situations...I want to improve as a Watchdog and as such, I want to take care of the problems at the source. If it's something I can fix, then I'll be willing to try, ma'am."

"Oh, you're putting me on the spot now, hm?" Brigitte said. She had a wry smile on her face, though, her voice one of bemusement at even being asked. "Well, if you must know, I don't like strangers telling me what to do like they have some sort of authority over me. My gut gets all twisted thinking about that, you understand? It doesn't matter if they have the power or not, if they believe they do, I can't help but worry what happens if I don't immediately do what they say. Now, I've gotten to a point in my life where not many people think they have power over me, suppose that comes with age and being married to the headman. Any fool that still tries can get thrown out at my leisure. But, unless I've been misunderstanding my whole life, watchdogs do have that power. You can dress it up all you like, but with but a prayer you can bring an island to its knees, or wipe it off the map entirely if you so wish. You can say you won't, that you would never, but don't lie to me and say that you can't."

Her smile had slowly disappeared throughout her answer, but she wasn't finished. "Other than that, I'm not sure what you personally can fix. You could renounce your power entirely, but I don't think you're about to do that just to get in my good graces, hm? If you ask me, I'm not sure what you're worried about, really. Perhaps I've been unkind, but I haven't raised my voice or impeded you at all. I'm still doing what you say. I'll evacuate with my husband as soon as everyone is ready. If you're struck by divine inspiration and demand that I stay behind then I suppose I'll do just that. Just understand I'm still going to get some licks in where I can."

This seemed to surprise Kitt, but at the same time...he had an understanding about it. It would make sense on why she had been treating them the way the did and why she's constantly been saying that. He nodded, sighing again. "I believe I understand..."I do apologize for ever giving the airs that I would do that or that I may be like others of my kind..." he glanced at Flynt. "...however you have helped me see a different side of things, ma'am, so thank you."

"Now...to answer your questions, Jones sir, no...we don't know the exact time or day when this mountain will erupt. Hinder nor Taros have granted us that knowledge currently. And you are correct, the waiting on the Swallow Tail would actually be just as detrimental than helpful given the situation." Kitt paused to collect his thoughts for a moment, before continuing. "My comrade here seemed to suggest an evacuation via the Swallow Tail was the best idea, but before this seems to be the only option...I wanted to ask those here, the people of Corpus, if there was possibly another way. Surely Vermeer had erupted before, and like the very woman's survival spirit that you all embody, perhaps you found a way to endure it and even escape. If there is another way, one that shows you can survive here on the island and continue your way of life, I'd assume you'd take it. But we'd need to know of any possible manner if Vermeer has erupted somewhere before in Corpus' history."

"I'm willing to give what I can a try for the Corpus people..." Kitt sighed once more, before looking at Olivander and Flynt. "...last resort...if nothing can happen...then you use that. But if anything...they'll need to know the truth on that."

...and now everyone knows it could happen again

Again, Old Man Jones couldn’t help but laugh. “Well, it sounds like you have a little bit more on your plate between yourselves than with anyone else here,” he said. “How about this: I’ll answer your question --” he nodded at Kitt “-- and then we’ll take a break for oh, say, whenever you’re ready to try again. I’ll remember my promise, don’t worry about that. Eilis, does Grayson need you back at home or can you stay here? I don’t want to make even more trouble for these two by making them tramp back across the village just to bring you back here.”

Eilis opened her mouth to answer but hesitated. “While I don’t want to trouble anyone, I would like to at least make sure some heirlooms are secured, just in case. I can go talk to my husband and then come straight back here?”

“That should be fine,” Brigitte said. “Take care of yourself, dear.”

“Flynt,” Jones said, “does your solution, whatever it is that you refuse to tell me, require preparations or can you stay here as well?”

“I can stay here,” Flynt said.

“Kitt said ‘last resort,’ how last resort does that mean?“

“Midnight.“ Flynt's voice was firm in his answer. “Any later is too risky.“

“Alright, well, that’s settled then.” Jones turned his attention back to Olive and Kitt. “Your guess is correct -- we can be pretty sure Mount Vermeer has erupted before. But the information on how Corpus survived is lost to us. Its last eruption was before the end of the world, you understand, and not every bit of lore survived. I think you’re on the right track, though. Perhaps that’s why I am still so hesitant to jump on a broken ship and fly to where only the gods know; I know Corpus is a hardy people, and we’ve done it before. Now be off, but do hurry. If what you’ve said today is true, the island is in your hands.”

OOC

Spoiler

Oh hey it's the other half of that "The Machine is burning..." subtitle from two months and a page ago.

I let things off here because the next scene would be a bit short; I figure whoever leaves Jones' house first can deal with that (that is to say, shoot me a message when you do so I can tell you what's up), though you might want to talk about the disparity between your reactions to Flynt's offer last post cycle first? Just a suggestion. I'm not your dad. Speaking of suggestions, though, a reminder that even IC hints are just suggestions and I don't have an exact "right answer" in mind. I'm just presenting one more hurdle, but you can navigate it how you please. That's the OOC reason Jones doesn't just have the knowledge for you -- that would be a bit too easy.

Again, let me know when one of you leaves, but also let me know if you have any questions, whether that's things you can do, or for lines, or anything else, and happy posting

-r

Drive

"ThE iSlAnD iS iN yOuR hAnDs," Olive mimicked. "When this is all over I might stuff that one in a box just for annoying me," he snapped as he began to walk away. "Well, if we have to wait until midnight, then we may as well eat. Flynt, would you mind using those big, strong hands to make us another delicious meal? I'll even catch the food for you if you'd like," he said sheepishly. "I mean--! Er, I'll--do dinner tonight! I'll handle it! Yes. That's what a real, strong, muscly, handsome man would do," he stammered as he turned his face away from Flynt and Kitt. He immediately began dashing toward the forest in hopes to catch a pheasant of some kind. His legs moved so rapidly that they appeared to be wheels at his side, kicking up so much dust it would blind anyone behind him in a cartoonish fashion. "We'llreconveneatFlynt'splaceokaybye!" he said in one rapid sentence.

Once he was sure he was out of earshot of Flynt and Kitt, Olivander braced himself against a large tree once more. This time, instead of being exhausted, he was merely flustered and embarrassed. His cheeks were flushed red as he slapped his face. "Get yourself together man! The bloody island is about to go under! This is no time for flirting!"

Olivander suddenly heard footsteps. Before he knew it, David and Pfeifer were upon him.

"So it's happening, then," Pfeifer said. "We're all ready, though one of us had a question about the whole thing."

"Where did you--?" Olivander began.

"Don't lie, Pfeifer. You wanted this too," David shot back. He turned back to Olive. "Anyway, the question is are we gonna get to watch Mount Vermeer erupt or are we just getting out of here. Like, I was thinking, and maybe this is stupid, but what if we just, like, waited just before we got to the storm to see it erupt? Or is that too much to ask? I dunno, I've never seen a volcano erupt, it just sounds super cool to watch."

"These kids are bloody fast," he thought to himself. "David, don't get me wrong. The idea of seeing a volcano erupt is pretty cool. Who doesn't like giant, fiery explosions? But this is one explosion you'll not want to be anywhere near," Olivander came right out to say. "That is, the volcano is hot enough that only gods would dare get close enough. I don't like the idea of you boys being anywhere near it and possibly getting hurt. I won't have it."

David pouted "Okay..." he said. He turned to Pfeifer. "Dang, you were pretty excited too."

"Who knows," Pfeifer replied, "maybe it'll be loud enough we'll be able to hear it at least from all the way across Naviim."

"Oh, yeah! Okay!"

David and Pfeifer ran off giggling about something that Olivander couldn't hear. He shook his head, trying not to laugh. "Boys will be boys, I suppose."

Just then, a large chicken darted past Olivander's feet. "Hey! You look delicious! Get back here!" he said as he began to give chase. The chicken felt Olivander on its heels, and so it began to sprint faster away from. It ducked under a log, shimmied between two tightly spaced rocks, and appeared to have gotten away past a large rock face. Unfortunately for the chicken, Olivander could walk through walls. He perched himself behind the chicken, leaning against the rock face as he pretended to file his nails. "Oh, hey," he said as the chicken slowly turned around to face him, fear in its eyes.

"You come here often?" he asked with a wry grin. He pounced on the chicken and pinned it down, wrestling with it for several seconds before it finally gave up with a disappointed caw. "Yeah, that's right mate. Recognize your superior and come without a fight."

"Caw?" the chicken replied.

"Did-- did you just understand me? Are you-- are you the apocalyptic chicken of the end of days?" Olivander replied.

"... caw."

"... liar. I'm gonna eat you."

The chicken continued to protest as Olivander carried it back to Flynt's house.

Break the Cycle

Kitt had himself a migraine...and it stemmed, no surprise, from Flynt and Olivander's original decision to use the law of cycles to keep things going. It was preposterous, especially after Olivander just said that the gods were indeed fickle beings. Why play with something this powerful and invoke the wrath of the gods even further.

Luckily, Jones seemed to echo his thoughts on how things happened before...

“Your guess is correct -- we can be pretty sure Mount Vermeer has erupted before. But the information on how Corpus survived is lost to us. Its last eruption was before the end of the world, you understand, and not every bit of lore survived. I think you’re on the right track, though."

It was possible then, for all of Corpus to survive...to live without them having to evacuate. And if these two wished to prolong it instead of truly finding an answer...then he'd find the answer by himself. Kitt planned to give Olivander a piece of his mind, but alas, the Watchdog of Hinder was out the door in a flash to catch dinner for them...muttering weird things. But that left Flynt...and well...he was definitely going to give his former mentor a piece of his mind.

"I'm not thrilled to see you immediately turn to using that as a solution." Kitt said, turning to face Flynt for a moment. "Unless the gods deem it worthy...you best keep that word and your trap about it silenced. And I mean it." he said with quite the authority in his voice. Perhaps Taros was bolstering his vessel's courage against his former mentor, or maybe it was just him growing further. Either way, he wasn't looking a gift horse in the mouth right now about him standing against his mentor. "Now if you need me, I'll be trying to find some sort of way to get this island and it's inhabitants to survive...just like they always have."

It was this moment that Kitt found himself at the small altar, presenting the iron ingot just like he did the first go around with this day. He exhaled slowly...offering a small prayer.

Your steel is my body...your fire my blood...forge a pathway to understanding...and cleave through uncertainty...I am the bone of your sword...and you are the Master Forger. he began, exhaling slowly. "Lord Taros, I know we aren't ones that deal with the knowledge...that we don't deal with ciphers or mysteries...we deal with our hands and work them to craft and forge precious metals into what they were truly meant to be. My Forge Master, I pray and beseech thee...forge a pathway to what I seek. I seek the knowledge and information to save the inhabitants of this island...I seek the manner to keep their way of life going and to allow them to survive, just as they always have since your godly kin, Dia, presented the woman with this island. I seek this...in order to keep the balance of the world and from keeping that word, your ancient tongue's power, from continually being used here. I won't allow the law of cycles to continue to be present...not unless you deem it worthy."

With that, his prayer was offered...and Kitt could only begin to walk away from the altar. There was a manner to find what saved this island and it's inhabitants from the past eruption before...and all Kitt needed was a point in the right direction...

Repeating Night

It had been a long day on the Swallow Tail. Despite his age, Captain Helmsley had insisted on personally helping with the repairs, and only now was he allowing himself to take a moment away. After all, Flynt had promised a pheasant dinner, and Helmsley wanted at least a little time to catch up with his old passenger before returning to his newer ones. That wasn’t to say the new ones were any less interesting, but there was always that bit of nostalgia for older things, and, given that Helmsley was getting on in years himself, that meant a lot of nostalgia.

He was surprised, then, to not find Flynt at his home at all, and yet, his home was still more occupied than it usually was. The first occupant was one of his passengers, which was understandable enough. The second, well…

“In all of the gods’ wisdom, what are you doing to that poor chicken?”

It took time for everything to calm down, but it did eventually. “I assume things are going well, then?” Helmsley said. “Just as well, the ship needs a little more time before she’s ready to go anywhere, though, now that I’ve brought it up, I suppose that leads me to an actual question. I’ve gotten a few people show up at the dock asking what time boarding was supposed to start. One of them even tried to force their way on. Now, if it was just that one person, I don’t think I’d think any more of it. But with the number I’ve seen, I cannot help but ask, do you have something to do with this?”

Hour of the Furnaces

Just after Kitt finished his prayer, Flynt came up behind him and placed his own offering on the altar. His ingot had a slightly more complex design in it, but it had been weathered down, as if he had been holding onto this particular prayer for a while now. He did not say the prayer aloud, though; he just kept his head bowed and his hands out in front of him. Only when Flynt was finished did he finally speak. “Don’t think I’m too far gone that I’m not rooting for you to succeed,” he said. “In fact, I’m proud of you for your actions in that meeting. I’m proud of you in ways I can’t even describe. Again, regardless of what your opinion of me has become.”

Another long silence followed as watchdogs both current and former were allowed to take in what was just said. Flynt spoke again. “I admit, I could not help but overhear the tail part of your prayer back then. I may not be Taros himself, but I can remind you what I taught you all those years ago. If it is your will, then it is his as well. That is your privilege. The fact that yours and Olive’s diverge slightly is frustrating but it’s to be expected, isn’t it? You come from different patrons -- different gods -- and you’re different people besides. Still, you should act on your impulse, I think. After all, why did you come here? What is something that only Kitt Axton can do in this situation?

“You don’t have to answer right away, or even answer to me at all,” Flynt quickly added. “Take some time to think about it -- time isn’t so precious that you can’t do that, there is enough time left even before midnight. And hey, while we do not have a forge to help you facilitate that, I can at least show you how to make those coins I hand out if you like.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are songs by the band Algiers

Yeah so I basically took your suggestion but I'd already decided to have Flynt chase after Kitt, so I just brought Helmsley back into the picture. It makes sense for him to be around too, I think. Both of your current plans involve everyone getting on the Swallow Tail, so he should have some input too. The people he mentioned are no-names, don't worry about who specifically tried to board other than the implication from such that word is spreading about what might be happening.

On the Kitt side of things, this is basically my IC reminder that you can basically do anything if you justify it to me in the right way. I'm not looking for *my* solution, I'm looking for *a* solution. This does mean it's a bit hard to give specific hints, though (even if I've tried a couple) without incepting a "correct" solution. I also did this specific encounter because it seemed Kitt got mad at Flynt again (though not without good reason!) and I'm a sucker for these sorts of scenes.

Hope this all helps,

-r

Foolin' Around

“In all of the gods’ wisdom, what are you doing to that poor chicken?”

"Huh-- wha--!?" Olivander jumped as he hadn't been paying attention when Captain Helmsley entered Flynt's home. He was so startled that he stopped choking his chicken and let it run around freely. He zoomed over to the door behind Helmsley and shut it so that his loose chicken wouldn't go running off. If anyone else were to see that cock, they might try to take it from him. Or worse, they might have tried to eat it! He couldn't let that happen to his precious cock. He loved it too much now. In the short time they had been together, he had developed feelings for it. He even went so far as to name the bastard.

"Captain! You startled me! Sorry about that Willie," Olivander said as he finally caught the chicken again. "I didn't mean to hold you so tight."

It was a rather large chicken for its age. You could say he was a huge cock, named Big Willie.

"Willie and I were just getting acquainted."

“I assume things are going well, then?”

Olivander nodded, petting his dear Big Willie. "What's going on Captain?"

“Just as well, the ship needs a little more time before she’s ready to go anywhere, though, now that I’ve brought it up, I suppose that leads me to an actual question."

Olivander's face scrunched because he had a feeling that he knew exactly what Helmsley was about to ask.

"I’ve gotten a few people show up at the dock asking what time boarding was supposed to start. One of them even tried to force their way on. Now, if it was just that one person, I don’t think I’d think any more of it. But with the number I’ve seen, I cannot help but ask, do you have something to do with this?”

Actually, that wasn't quite what Olivander thought the Captain was going to ask. Olivander thought Helmsley would inquire more about the giant cock in his lap.

"Oh. Yeah, that was me," Olivander admitted nonchalantly. "Captain. Corpus is about to be under miles and miles of fire and brimstone. The volcano will erupt soon. And I can't consciously leave these people behind to die. I realize that it's a pain for you, and I am sorry. But I'll do everything in my power to make sure that repairs are complete and that we leave safely. Isn't that right Willie?"

The chicken merely squawked at Olivander's words.

2 Samuel 7:1-29

“Don’t think I’m too far gone that I’m not rooting for you to succeed,”

Kitt listened as he watched his mentor make an offering, finishing it up. Though he did notice the ingot...it was...weathered down and was more complex. Did this man hold onto this ingot for such an occasion as this? Kitt honestly was unsure.

“In fact, I’m proud of you for your actions in that meeting. I’m proud of you in ways I can’t even describe. Again, regardless of what your opinion of me has become.”

"...I already told you before, Flynt." Kitt spoke up. "I couldn't forget you if I tried. You were an integral part of my journey to be what Taros wished of me to be. Despite the things you have done thus far, I am still grateful to you for what you've done for me. For that...my opinion of that man alone, remains the same."

Silence then befell them once more, before Flynt spoke up.

“I admit, I could not help but overhear the tail part of your prayer back then. I may not be Taros himself, but I can remind you what I taught you all those years ago. If it is your will, then it is his as well. That is your privilege. The fact that yours and Olive’s diverge slightly is frustrating but it’s to be expected, isn’t it? You come from different patrons -- different gods -- and you’re different people besides. Still, you should act on your impulse, I think. After all, why did you come here? What is something that only Kitt Axton can do in this situation?"

"How could I forget what you hammered into my head?" Kitt spoke up once more, sighing slightly. "I understand if it's my will then by extension, it's Taros' will. But even if this is the case, I would still require council from my patron...his wisdom. That's why I came here..." He paused for a moment, before thinking slightly. He was dwelling on something...pondering it. What is something only I can do in this situation? This thought lulled in his mind for a moment or two...

“Take some time to think about it -- time isn’t so precious that you can’t do that, there is enough time left even before midnight. And hey, while we do not have a forge to help you facilitate that, I can at least show you how to make those coins I hand out if you like.”

"That could work. I wouldn't mind learning how to make those...but at the same time..." his eyes slowly opened as he finished pondering the thought. "Do we have enough time to make a temple? Hear me out, Flynt. If we could pull our resources together in a quick pace and manner, perhaps we could make a temple...a proper altar...and call upon Dia to possibly spare the island. Think about it...no temple dedicated to her, only a mere altar. It doesn't have to be grandiose, but a proper place of worship...you said it before...followers of Taros are more interested in the material...but we also are the ones who do the most work with our hands. It's a long shot, but maybe it could work."

Kitt

Flynt smiled. This was the student he wanted to see, not the one moping at the altar wondering what to do next. “There’s an idea,” he said. “Are you thinking of an improved shelter for this altar or a brand new structure? I suppose it doesn’t really matter.” He reached into his robes and pulled out a small rock hammer. “I still always have mine on me,” he said. “And we can probably get a few other able-bodied folks to help us out as well. It’s a good thing Olive said he would prepare dinner. We should get to work immediately if we want to have a dedication ceremony before the day rolls into tomorrow.

Olive

Helmsley nodded, then sighed, a combination of exasperation at the watchdog’s antics with his co- with his chicken, and a fair bit of exhaustion at the day’s hard work suddenly getting a whole lot harder. “Is that how it is, then? I suppose the old rumors were true. Going to be a lot of money changing hands on deck once the crew hears about that. Both wagers and wages, you understand, the second one to keep complainers under control and the first, well, like I said. Rumors. Not that I’d expect you to participate -- in fact, you probably shouldn’t, fellas can get salty enough without thinking the gods themselves are against them.

“Anyway…” He made a move towards the door. “If both you and Kitt are in agreement, I should probably go tell everyone they’re working overtime tonight in addition to all that. I’d have to get a better look at the situation but we probably won’t be ready until just before midnight. Make sure everyone knows, too. I’ll deal with early arrivals, but I’d rather not deal with too many of them.”

OOC

Spoiler

Kind of a short post, or short enough that I didn't bother finding songs to title these with at least. My intention, though, is to do a time skip here, either to dinnertime (if Olive actually manages to kill his beloved William) or to the nighttime completion of both projects. Maybe it's different to both of you, but I don't actually see a conflict in the two plans, you can definitely have both a prayer/dedication ceremony and then proceed to board the Swallow Tail. You'd have to explain that to Old Man Jones, so maybe that's an argument in favor of a "to dinnertime" skip and then I can skip forward and describe the ceremony. What I'd expect from posts then is descriptions of what you're doing in the meantime, whether that's a description of the building Kitt's created or the dinner Olive did or did not manage to cook.

I don't know, let me know what you think. Maybe that's another reason this post is short, because I'm not sure where you two are going if it's not this route. I can accomodate, but I'd like to know your plans. If the dinner stuff does go through, let me know what you need from Old Man Jones, Brigitte, Flynt, or Eilis.

-r

Dinner Plans

“Is that how it is, then? I suppose the old rumors were true. Going to be a lot of money changing hands on deck once the crew hears about that. Both wagers and wages, you understand, the second one to keep complainers under control and the first, well, like I said. Rumors. Not that I’d expect you to participate -- in fact, you probably shouldn’t, fellas can get salty enough without thinking the gods themselves are against them."

Olivander sat Big Willie down on the ground and let him run free for a bit. "Captain, I can't say for certain that the gods are for anyone," Olivander suddenly admitted. "I told this to Kitt, but, I'll tell you as well. They are fickle, jealous beings. What may look like a personal grudge to us may be but a pawn being defeated in battle. But I suppose that's all the more reason we should take their every move seriously. And it's precisely why I did what I did. I admit, it was selfish of me to bring such a burden down upon yourself and your crew. Rest assured, I will plead with Hinder for your blessing in coin. But I can also assure you that this was not personal. I merely wish to keep these people safe."

“If both you and Kitt are in agreement, I should probably go tell everyone they’re working overtime tonight in addition to all that. I’d have to get a better look at the situation but we probably won’t be ready until just before midnight. Make sure everyone knows, too. I’ll deal with early arrivals, but I’d rather not deal with too many of them.”

"I'll do that Captain. Thank you," Olivander answered.

As the Captain left, Olivander sighed with relief. However, his blood pressure immediately began to rise again as he remembered one crucial part of the evening.

"I forgot to make dinner!" He was about to burst out of Flynt's home when he remembered that Big Willie was about. "Stay here, Willie! I'll be back!"

Olivander was sure that his request to the chicken would surely keep it in Flynt's house. He made himself intangible and sprinted through Flynt's home and back outside. "Okay. Think, Olivander, think. I'm sure I passed a few goats on the way down the mountain. I'll make a goat stew!" He blazed northward until he reached the mountain and began searching for the most tender goat he could find. After securing said goat, he tucked the dog-sized creature under his arm and raced back to town. He stopped about half-way to nab some wild garlic carrots.

After returning to Flynt's home, Olivander took the goat out back and ended its life painlessly. After skinning and cleaning the meat, he took it inside to prepare it. Rummaging through Flynt's home, he found salt, basil, and cumin. After liberally seasoning the goat meat, he seared it on both sides as he brought a large pot of water to a boil. He added just a pinch of salt to the water before chopping up his carrots and allowing them to cook until tender. With half of the water boiled off, he added the goat's meat to the pot. With its own fat, it created its own gravy with the help of the boiling water. Another bit of basil and a the garlic cloves finished off the meal and Olivander removed the pot from the heat.

He prepared bowls and waited patiently for Kitt and Flynt. He crossed his fingers behind his back as he silently hoped to impress Flynt.

Solomon's Temple

“There’s an idea. Are you thinking of an improved shelter for this altar or a brand new structure? I suppose it doesn’t really matter.”

It honestly seemed like Flynt had been just waiting for him to say this...perhaps he was expecting and hoping he would. Whatever the case may be, Kitt watched as his former mentor produced a hammer from his robes. The Watchdog only smiled, reaching in his bag and produced his own tools for this job. It would be something he could do for the moment...something only he could do.

“I still always have mine on me. And we can probably get a few other able-bodied folks to help us out as well. It’s a good thing Olive said he would prepare dinner. We should get to work immediately if we want to have a dedication ceremony before the day rolls into tomorrow."

"Indeed...especially if we're making a new structure." Kitt nodded looking at the small altar. "While this seems to have done quite a lot for the people here on Corpus, I wish for Dia to have a temple all her own." With nothing more than a small utterance to Taros to give him and his hands, along with the bodies and hands of those would would help him, strength...the Watchdog of Taros proceeded to do his best to make a temple to Dia. A location and plot of land that was barren in which saw no use was selected and with that, the foundation and preparations for this temple would be made.

It would take them quite the number of hours...but at the same time, without a Watchdog of Taros, this temple might've actually taken longer than originally planned to make. As night fell, the temple was practically done...and all that was left was the dedication ceremony...but first thing was first...

"...I think...we need to go check on Olivander...and see if he's finished dinner." Kitt huffed, his stomach already growling at this point. "After we're done...perhaps we can gather the town and prepare the dedication ceremony to this new temple."