radio414

Götterdämmerung [IC/PG-16/COMPLETED]

Here in the Garden

Kitt made his way through the twists and turns, hacking away tree after tree that blocked his path. It was clear his mind was made up, his choice clear...at least he assumed it was. If this was the choice that had to be done to ensure the continuing of life and the removal of this facade's veil, then by the will of Taros as well as the will of Hinder, this would be done. Speaking of Hinder, Kitt didn't see Olivander anywhere at the present moment, but he could've swore he saw a shadowy figure leap into the brush and trees over head.

Taking the high road while I clear the low road...perhaps we're finally thinking as a singular unit now. Kitt smirked, swinging the blade a few more times as the trees continued to fall more and more before him. Soon the blade would return to the fiery light as it began to morph and change shape once again. "Now...Phantomsteel Reaper!" A war scythe appeared in his hand...and he was more than happy to use it to "weed" the garden before him...inching every so closely to the target.

“Come and get me,”
"You won't leave this clearing alive,"

Another tree fell, this time revealing the clearing to the forge Dog as Kitt walked forth with the war scythe in his hands. Sharp were his eyes, like a finely made dagger and within those sharp eyes were the fires that the forge's hearths would hold. "It's over, Joy...you can't run anymore...and you can't continue the facade you've draped upon this island and it's people." he said, slamming the blunt end of the scythe into the ground.

"One last chance to stop it..." Kitt said, compassion showing itself once more. "But heed this...if you throw this offer away...then the gods have mercy on your soul..." He looked at Olivander, a determination in his eyes. In this look, he showed Hinder's Dog that he was willing to do what he could not back on Galatea...to do what was necessary. One chance, one moment of reason being given...but if not, then a Watchdog would die in this clearing.

Addicted to Bad Ideas

“Live life to the fullest. Treat every day as if it’s your last.” Isn’t that what Laeta teaches, Joy? That’s certainly your teaching. That’s certainly what you have been doing on this island, anyway. And, through you, it becomes hers. That’s going to be your legacy, you know, if you have any at all: hosting banal parties to ignore the inevitable. Even without me, there would still be tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that. Here’s another question, if you win this fight, what happens after that?

Tat҉ib͠us̨ means to weather the storm. When do you think the storm is going to end?

It had been a long time since Joy had heard that voice, but she did again now. Its questions were pervasive, but she tried to keep them out of her mind, instead focusing on the two emerging watchdogs, both reiterating their intent to kill her. Which one would be the one to do it? She tried to ask that question instead. She could guess at the answer, sure. It was probably- No, she had to stay focused. She touched her spear to her ring of light again and listened to its hum, desperately trying to mute the sound of her own mind. It didn’t work.

You’re going to die. Whether that’s today or sometime in the future means no difference to me. Deep down in your heart, you know that too. That’s why you devoted yourself to being of the gods, isn’t it? It’s especially why you attached yourself to Mor’s. You might have liked Nuumu’s girl, too. And when you came here, this became a higher cause too. These consequences are just the overlap of those two causes. How does it feel?

What did work, though, was how Joy’s spear reacted to her touch, drawing on the latent energy of the ring and extending forwards, aimed straight at Hinder’s dog. When it extended past him and touched one of the trees surrounding the clearing, she reversed it, retracting back on one end and extending on the other until she could bring it out in an overhead swing, a high arc aimed at bringing the new point of the spear down on Taros’ dog’s head. She was quicker with it than the size of the spear seemed to suggest, the weight, of course, being more emotional than physical.

Whatever Joy managed to hit was struck by her own sheer force of will. There were no words necessary. That was her response.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a World/Inferno Friendship Society song/album.

Some expository fluff for you to chew on even if your characters can't hear it. They're too busy trying to dodge out of the way, I'm sure. Definitely let me know what they're doing after that so I can give some Joy responses and help keep the combat moving. I may not always be able to respond right away but I'll definitely say something as soon as I can.

-r

Metal Hawks

"...if you throw this offer away...then the gods have mercy on your soul..."

Olivander didn't have to see Kitt's face to know that he was sure of himself. He had already displayed his conviction, and Olivander trusted him. With that in mind, Olivander had zero intentions on taking his eyes off of Joy. She didn't give a verbal response to Kitt. Instead, she immediately fought back.

Things almost seemed to slow down as the ring of energy pulsated, expanding immediately toward him as Joy extended her spear. Having minimized his profile earlier, Olivander just barely reacted in time to dodge the attack, flopping onto his back as the heat from the ring left a burn on the left side of his face. The spear extended past him and reached all the way to the clearing behind him, shocking Olivander at its great reach. He immediately made himself intangible and rolled to his right, away from Kitt. Dagger still in hand, he kept low and got to a sprinting position.

If he could bring her down with his physical strength, he may be able to give Kitt an opportunity to kill her. However, at that close of a range, he would not be able to dodge her attacks if she struck at the right time. She need only look for him to break his intangibility. Olivander could only hope that Kitt was ready. If he was as well trained as Olivander believed, this fight may end soon.

He also had to remember that he was going to be almost directly under the ring she was controlling, and it was extremely hot. He would suffer. He could very well die. But, so would the people of Andalou if Joy was victorious. It was a risk he was willing to take.

The spear came arcing back behind him toward Kitt. As the tip of the spear approached Kitt, Olivander stared down Joy. He wasn't sure what else the ring was capable of, but he was sure of what he needed to do. When he was exactly one foot from her, he would break his intangibility and bring her to the ground. He barreled toward her with all of his might now, earth crumbling to dust beneath his feet. Even if he died today he would be okay with that, knowing he did what he thought was right for the people of Andalou, and possibly the world over.

All Out of Mercy

It happened in a blur of light, though for Kitt, it seemed like time was moving slowly. Olivander had made it in, but he didn't make it to where he could stop the spear of light from coming down on him. If he wasn't 100% prepared for this, Kitt might've lost his head in more ways than one... It was a good thing he WAS prepared.

Kitt shifted his weight slightly and did his best to parry the spear of light with his war scythe, attempting to deflect it to the side perhaps...maybe even catch the spear between the smaller sickle blades and possibly remove the weapon from her. Whatever the result of this would become, Kitt only had his eyes narrow towards Joy. It was obvious that her assault here, that WAS her answer. It was completely out of Kitt's hands now, the mercy he wanted to show this Watchdog was knocked out of the outstretched hand by her. Whatever happened now was on her own hands, not his.

"Then gods have mercy on you..." he simply said, swinging the scythe slightly, before practically throwing it towards Joy. She would most likely be too busy to deal with the scythe to do much of anything else, he hoped. At this moment, Kitt unsheathed his own sword and brandished it before him. "...do know, I wished this wouldn't be the case and the path you chose."

Fate of Fates

Joy wrestled with the Hinder watchdog both physically and mentally. The physical part was obvious; her ring of light assisted in grappling the much more imposing dog, growing brighter and brighter to inflict worse and worse damage. The mental part was in how her aura increased in intensity as well, desperately searching for something to latch onto. If she could get him to hesitate for just a single moment… The chicken? A party? Hinder himself? She wasn’t sure what the light would find for her, just that if she could get him to hesitate for just a moment, she could turn the tide of battle.

Somewhere, wherever he was, David put his coin on an altar and clapped his hands together.

Phantomsteel struck Joy in the shoulder opposite where Hinder’s dog had stabbed her, and she screamed in pain. Her ring responded to her cries, unraveling its grasp on Olive and glowing even brighter, until finally, when not even Joy could bear to look at it, it discharged, enveloping both the people inside it in a column of light.

You knew the consequences, didn’t you, Joy? Even when you cried out “Tat҉ib͠us̨!” for the first time? Is that why? And yet, you were happy. You had found a solution! And it worked! Everyone on the island had sacrificed so little for that joy, the only thing they needed now was to sacrifice a little more, and a little more.

You know that’s what you’re showing these watchdogs now, right? Now they know too: all these parties later, that was the last time you were ever truly happy. But what could you do? The path had already been prepared for you, and to stop it would be back to a problem you thought you could never solve. You would have to admit that you just were making it worse. 

She found herself teleported to the edge of the clearing, with Hinder’s dog landing a few feet away from her. Her injury from that wretched scythe only seemed to amplify the pain from Hinder’s blade, and it was all she could do to get her feet under her and stand back up and start stumbling away, back into the forest.

There was no light surrounding her -- no aura, no weapons, nothing.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Fucked Up song

I refuse to elaborate on the feeling Olive might get if his coin is used, but he does get it. You can DM me for questions on this, or related to this, though I recognize there's a little ambiguity that's intentionally in there for the character to wrestle with.

Meanwhile, both Olive and Kitt get the vision/hear the voice here, Olive for wrestling with Joy and being within her teleport circle, and Kitt for having Phantomsteel pierce through her aura. I expect Joy to need a third hit to be killed because that's how boss fights in video games always seemed to work, but she's basically been overwhelmed now (and thus, you can write yourselves killing Joy if you want with no further input from me). Let me know if you want anything else, though.

-r

Welcome Home

The damage had been done. As Olivander held tightly to Joy, the ring seared burns across his entire torso. The pain was agonizing, but even through wails of pain he wrestled with her. For a brief moment, Olivander found relief. He was sure he was going to die from his wounds, but the pain and agony stopped suddenly. A wave of calm washed over him and Hinder's words echoed in his mind.

"...I could tell you all the fluff, about how you’re my watchdog and I’ll support you no matter what. What you are asking of me, it’s been asked before. But I think just that, that you’re all feeling the same stuff, is pretty powerful on its own."

He found himself gripping Joy tighter, even as the ring kept him bound and burning. Finally, Olivander opened his eyes to see the look of frustration on her face. He grinned through it all. "It's over," he finally mustered. Then, Kitt struck. The Phantomsteel in her shoulder caused Joy to scream out. In response, her ring let go of Olivander. Then, he and Joy were both consumed in a blinding light.

He was hearing voices now, but they were not directed at him. They were directed at Joy. The voice criticized Joy, but made one thing clear to Olivander: she knew what she was doing was wrong. Olivander wanted to frown, but he was too weak to move anymore. The light faded, and for a moment, Olivander was completely disoriented. He felt the ground rushing beneath him until he suddenly landed in grass again.

He involuntarily lost his grip on Joy, and she barely climbed to her feet. He tried to raise a hand to catch the hem of her clothes, but she shambled away. He could not follow her. Olivander did notice that Joy's light had faded. The ring was gone. Her weapons were gone. She was alone now. She was just Joy. As his vision began to blur and Olivander began to black out, he could only whisper for his comrade.

"Kitt--"

Olivander's head landed in the grass, his eyes closed as his injuries sapped his strength.

Spoiler

Title is a Coheed and Cambria song.

Edited by Comrade Duck

The Kill

Phantomsteel hit the target as intended, but at the same time, Kitt watched as Olivander was burned by the ring of light that Joy had, but at the same time, it did release the Hinder Watchdog, but the light began to envelop the two of those Dogs. Try as he might, Kitt wanted to move to take action, but he paused in his momentum...as he heard something...practically at the moment Phantomsteel struck Joy's aura.

You knew the consequences, didn’t you, Joy? Even when you cried out “Tat҉ib͠us̨!” for the first time? Is that why? And yet, you were happy. You had found a solution! And it worked! Everyone on the island had sacrificed so little for that joy, the only thing they needed now was to sacrifice a little more, and a little more. You know that’s what you’re showing these watchdogs now, right? Now they know too: all these parties later, that was the last time you were ever truly happy. But what could you do? The path had already been prepared for you, and to stop it would be back to a problem you thought you could never solve. You would have to admit that you just were making it worse.

W-Who...who's voice is that? Kitt thought, holding his head slightly being a bit disoriented by the light and the sudden voice plaguing his ears. But after it all, it was spoken out there...plain and simple: Joy knew what she was doing was wrong, she knew the consequences, just like Flynt in this regard. He almost felt sorry for her, just as he did for Flynt, but the moment subsided as he watched the light die. Joy was at the edge of the clearing, Olivander thrown quite a bit away...he was in pretty bad shape. "Olive!"

The Forge Dog rushed towards his friend's side...yes...friend. Kitt had to admit it, this was definitely a feeling he had...friendship, camaraderie...and it took this long for him to develop this for Olivander. Then again, they had been through a whole hell of a lot, so Kitt found it only natural. Nevertheless, the burn marks were bad...and Olivander found himself blacking out.

"Kitt--"

"Rest now, Olive..." Kitt simply responded, trying to dig into his pockets for something. "...it isn't his coin...but..." He finally produced from his pocket a single silver coin, slowly placing it in Olivander's hand and closing it. "Hinder, take this...and the information I presented to your Dog as tribute...do not let this one die today."

A short prayer given, Kitt turned his head, seeing Joy trying to make her way back into the forest...but she was alone. There was no light...no weapons...she was now truly alone. Not even her patron deity had deemed her unworthy, least in his eyes. Kitt began to slowly get up from kneeling beside Olivander, beginning to approach Joy. Each step he took, seemed to resonate with his own heartbeat, the world seeming to slow down in the process. This was the moment he prepared himself for...the deed had to be done. Each step closer, Kitt felt the sword in his hand grow heavier and heavier.

"A weapon does not seek bloodshed. Those who wield them seek it, and thusly they simply become a tool of war and death. A weapon is used to protect those dear to you...when you have no other option. To instruct the next generation of practices and traditions of old...and a weapon such as this, needs to dedicated and blessed by the Great Forge Maker. Those who toil within the forge work for long varying periods of time to create a weapon that Taros himself would be proud of....if you tainted it with a thirst for blood, then the work of it's creator would've been thrown away."

These words that he himself spoke to Emily back on Galatea began to ring in his ears. He glanced at the blade he held in his hand. This...this was the blade he forged in Taros' Great Forge at his Shrine. Tradition being in the Forgekeepers, what weapon you create...you dedicate it to Taros and leave it there as the offering. That was what offered to Taros before he left on his journey as a Watchdog...but in a strange twist of fate, Taros accepted the offering but returned the sword to Kitt. And now...now it would be truly tainted... Was...he still afraid of doing this?

"The sword can be used...but yet again, it's only job is to obey the will of it's wielder. It's creator forges it...his will put into the blade. He gifts it to another, the wielder, who's simply commanding the weapon to their whim and will."

Kitt began to grit his teeth, his grip tightening on the hilt of his blade. He now was basically in front of the woman, blocking her path forward. He was silent, his teeth gritting and grinding as he held the blade, it almost quivering in his hand. "A weapon...does not seek bloodshed. They become a tool of war and death if they do..." he finally spoke, his voice obviously shaking. "Weapons are used to protect those dear to one...when no other option is available...but you..." Kitt looked up, his eyes showing that of a strong but sorrowful compassion, though there was a heavy hint of rage behind them too. "You used the tools you were given to harm others...you hurt my friend...and for that...this blade won't be tarnished and tainted with a thirst for blood...rather, it's being given a taste of wrathful, just vengeance! So say I...Kitt Axton, the wielder and creator of this sword...I will it, and my blade follows my will!!" The blade no longer felt heavy in his hand, as he began to lift it up. "Begone...and never taint another weapon with your bloodlust!" Kitt shouted, bringing the sword down...the sounds of the blade cutting through the air.

Joy fell to the ground in silence...and immediately after, Kitt dropped to his knees, gasping for air almost...before letting out a loud, sorrowful wail as tears fell from his face. The deed was done...and now, the trembling Watchdog remained there, wailing.

The Line of Fate

Dream sweet dreams, dear watchdogs, even after all you have done. Even though Joy is dead. Do not worry about where you will be when you wake. I can be benevolent when I choose to be. 

If you ask the gods where you're needed, they will direct you west. To me. Joy told you the same thing, didn’t she? And I so would like to meet you. You bear the word ca͢n̷t҉icųm̕ad ͝ ̷ , after all. But if I were you, I would be inclined to stay away. Go somewhere else. Spread your teachings. Try to save people from me, for all that will matter in the end.

Or maybe you want to meet me as well? It’s not every day that one gets to meet the little voice in the back of their mind. If you do come sailing my way on that ship of yours, I want it to be for that reason, or any other reason you might have in mind. I don’t want it to be from the gods. I only want to see you when you are ready.

Your story is not over just yet.

Procession to Apocalypse

“Oh good, you’re alive,” Captain Helmsley said. He was more surprised by one of them than the other. “And awake too -- that’s two good things.”

The watchdogs hadn’t so much come back as they had appeared back on the Swallow Tail. Whatever trouble they had gotten into, it had left them both beaten and unconscious, and the ship’s doctor Eirika had descended upon them without even needing the order. Only when she had sufficiently tended to their wounds did she disappear back to her cabin, leaving the Captain alone with them.

Alone? No, the chicken Olive had brought on board was inconsolable except when roosting on top of the dog. One crewmate had even gone to see Eirika themselves thanks to some well-aimed pecks with its surprisingly sharp beak. Still, once acknowledged, it was practically silent, so it was easy to forget about.

The two had waited for a decent amount of time. Helmsley had made a point not to keep track. Keeping track would only worry him, and he preferred to keep his trust in Eirika than try and second-guess it. At one point, a deckhand had come in asking if he would prefer to join everyone for lunch, but he waved them away.

But they were awake now, one stirring and then the other, and Helmsley smiled and leaned forward in his chair to greet them. “You’ve certainly caused quite a ruckus, you know. I’ve only heard bits and pieces from here on the ship, but I think I can put together what happened.” He kept his voice level, indicating a lack of judgment on the matter. How could he? “I assume tonight’s party will be a funeral, then,” he said.

Then he sighed. “In any case, Eirika said you should be ship-shape if a little sore. Miracle worker that one, though maybe you’ve had a few other miracles yourselves?” Another even tone; he didn’t expect it to be answered. That changed, though, as he started asking for responses. “There’s probably still food around, you only need to ask. Do as you will besides, just let me know when you’re ready to leave.”

OOC

Spoiler
Spoiler

Subtitles are songs by Anunnaki

The first section basically said everything I was going to say here, but I'll say it again outside the narrative too. You know in video games how you're going up to the final dungeon/boss and the game is like "If you go past this point, you won't be able to return?" This is that point. Have your dream sequence if you want one, discuss what just happened and congratulate/commiserate, even leave the Swallow Tail if that's what you decide (and of course I'll go with whatever), but the option is on the table now. As soon as you tell Helmsley "West!" we start moving into the finale.

-r

Edited by radio414

Amongst Thieves; Pt 2

Olivander watched as Hinder snatched his heart out of his chest. He could hear his own heart beating, throbbing in the grasp of the god's golden fingers.

"You did it, boy-o. You finally lost it all," Hinder said softly, the locs in his head swinging side to side on his shadowed face. "When I gave you my blessing, I knew you were reckless. This doesn't come as a surprise," Hinder said with a chuckle. "But, boy-o, I'm pleased. Proud even. Few thieves would give their last for people they don't rightly know."

Olivander stared back at Hinder, managing a weak smile. Blood dripped from the corner of his mouth. Pain rattled his chest. A deep burning in his flesh made him itch. But he remained still, only able to smile.

"It's not in our nature. We're thieves after all. We take. But you're... something else. You took from the powerful. You preyed on the oppressor. You sought to give back to the weak. It's damn conundrum to think about. But you did, boy-o. You lost it all. And that means I can't have you go losing anything else."

Hinder gently strummed a finger against Olivander's heart. It throbbed once more and pain shot through his very core. Then, he watched as his heart changed from red to gold. Hinder pushed Olivander's heart back into his chest and took a step back from the Watchdog. Olivander felt the pain leaving his body. His aches were soothed. The burning sensation ceased. His blood pumped once more. He felt whole again.

"But your story isn't finished yet. There's more to be written. And more treasures for the taking. So wake up, boy-o. Gold is callin'!"

Sail

Olivander blinked slowly at first, as a beak gently nudged his chin. A gentle but relieved cluck caused him to wipe his eyes and sit up. He stroked Sir William's feathers gently as he smiled. "Good to see you, mate," he said as the chicken pressed its head against his chest.

“Oh good, you’re alive,” spoke Captain Helmsley.

Olivander only just then realized he was aboard the Swallow Tail. Beside him were Captain Helmsley and Kitt. This led him to draw a very sudden conclusion: Kitt had won the battle. Olivander smiled, but he would address Kitt later in private.

"Good to see you again too, Captain," Olivander answered.

“You’ve certainly caused quite a ruckus, you know. I’ve only heard bits and pieces from here on the ship, but I think I can put together what happened.” Captain Helmsley's voice was free of judgment and questions. Olivander could only nod in response. “I assume tonight’s party will be a funeral, then,” Helmsley said clearly.

Olivander looked to Kitt, then back to Helmsley without saying another word. They had just killed another Watchdog.

“In any case, Eirika said you should be ship-shape if a little sore. Miracle worker that one, though maybe you’ve had a few other miracles yourselves?” Captain Helmsley mentioned.

This made Olivander quickly examine himself. Sure enough, his wounds had been healed to a drastic extent. It was unprecedented! "How did-- I thought I was done for! I'd already accepted it!"

Glossing over the question entirely from Olivander, it seemed that Helmsley wasn't surprised at Eirika's work. He'd probably seen recovery's of this quality from Eirika before.

"There’s probably still food around, you only need to ask. Do as you will besides, just let me know when you’re ready to leave.”

The mere mention of food made Olivander's stomach growl. He looked to Sir William and stroked his feathers again. "Well," he started. Sir William cooed in Olivander's lap. "I am feeling a bit... peckish."

Sir William stared daggers at Olivander and immediately fluttered out of his lap. "Buckaw!" he huffed, before skittering away.

Olivander simply shrugged and stood to his feet. "I wonder if there's any cake. Join me for a mess when you're ready, eh Kitt?" Olivander said without looking over his shoulder. He didn't want to turn around while he headed for a meal. He was too busy smiling. He was proud of Kitt. And just a little proud of that terrible joke.

Forged in Fire

BGM

Walking…walking…walking further. This wasteland of discarded weapons, untouched by human hands and in pristine condition. In the distance, the sounds of a hammer hitting metal could be heard…even further still, Kitt could see an imposing figure with the hammer, hitting metal.

The closer he got, the louder the sound of metal being struck got. Eventually, Kitt reached the feet of this imposing figure, before dropping to his knees. His face was streaming with tears, his eyes red from the amount of crying. He tried to speak up, but nothing would come out…but at the moment, he didn't need to speak.

"When I made you, my son…I thought before to keep the feelings of mortal emotion away from you…to keep you pure and perfect…my greatest work. It is now, I realize, that would've been a foolish mistake." the voice said in a low, gravelly tone. "In truth, although I speak for only myself, I found the mortals in our world the most interesting. Their will, their determination…the insatiable thirst and hunger to survive, to grow…to even taste the blood of defeat only to crave that taste on the winning side. Truly remarkable creatures…"

Kitt watched the figure slam his hammer down on the metal once more, hearing him continue.

"But, the compassion shown…through mortal friends and family, it dawned on me that this…this is the true weapon that mortals wield. And if it's a weapon that they wield and it being that powerful…then naturally, I, the God of the Forge, need a weapon like that in my collection." the figure turned his head, showing his fiery red eyes as he smirked. "Tis only fitting that my greatest creation has this weapon at his disposal, no?"

The young man finally spoke up, tears still trying to fall but all being used up. "Taros…I tainted the weapon you ga-..."

"You didn't. It was justified, a kill of judgment in my name." Taros replied almost instantly. The being turned around and held out a weapon towards Kitt. Lo and behold, it was Kitt's own sword. It shone with great brilliance, glittering within this realms light and even showing some red that had been infused beautifully within its blade. "No, you did not taint this sword with bloodshed, but rather…you, as it's creator, used it as the tool to enact my judgment. My son, stand and take your sword. You aren't done. There will be others who will do as she had done…who will lose their way. Raise your head and sword against them." As Kitt took his sword in hand, he felt Taros' hands now on his shoulders. "My son…I'm more proud of you than you'll realize. Now go, awake…and remember, my forge and its weapons are at your disposal, always."

Baptized in Fire

“Oh good, you’re alive. And awake too -- that’s two good things.”

This wasn't where they were last...this wasn't that clearing...no, they were back at the Swallow Tail. But how? When?

“You’ve certainly caused quite a ruckus, you know. I’ve only heard bits and pieces from here on the ship, but I think I can put together what happened.”

It came back to Kitt now...everything that went down. For him, the world seemed to deafen around him, it being reduced to muffles at the moment as the young Watchdog slowly looked to his hands. They were still trembling slightly. He clenched them tightly and let out a long, slow exhale. It was sharp, but it was needed.

"I wonder if there's any cake. Join me for a mess when you're ready, eh Kitt?"

"H-Huh? Oh...r-right..." Kitt said, watching Olivander walking off already. The young man looked over to the scabbard that held his sword, which found itself propped up against the wall. Slowly he shifted himself out and up to grab a hold of it. It was this moment that Kitt began to slowly unsheath the weapon, though he hardly believed his eyes at first. The blade seemed just like how Taros had handed it to him in his dream, it was pristine and had no signs of bloodstains. It finally dawned on him what the red truly symbolized...to which Kitt sighed and sheathed the sword.

"My son…I'm more proud of you than you'll realize."

These words echoed in his mind for a while, as Kitt shook his head and sighed once more. This feeling of taking another's life, in the pursuit of righting these wrongs presented before them, it was going to need some time to get used to. Nevertheless, he took the sheathed weapon and proceeded to follow after his...his friend. They did have a lot to talk about now, with the imminent threat out of the way.

Breaking the Silence

Olivander couldn't help but drool over the size and appearance of a rather decadent chocolate cake. He snatched up a plate and took a carving knife with which he used to remove a single slice of cake. With utensils provided, Olivander took his first bite of the beautiful chocolate cake slice. His heart fluttered. Ecstasy began building in his blood... and his pants.

He had become overjoyed with this cake so much that he needed to physically brace himself in a chair. "This cake... perhaps it came from the table of the gods?" he asked to no one in particular, aloud. His eyes briefly caught a glimpse of Kitt and he waved his comrade down. "Get some cake. We deserve to celebrate a little," Olivander said as Kitt approached. He pulled up a chair beside him for Kitt to take at his leisure.

"I'm sure there's a lot running through your head right now," Olivander said as he took another bite of cake. "We've been through a lot together, Kitt. You can safely express yourself to me."

Olivander recalled the first time he took a life. It wasn't easy. He still remembered the smell. He remembered the look in their eyes.

"What happened to you was traumatic. Believe me, I know. But you did the right thing, Kitt," Olivander tried to assure him. "You saved my life in the process. Well, you and that miracle doctor. I mean, look at me! No more burns! Can you believe it!?" Olivander asked excitedly. "My point is, I know that line wasn't easy to cross, mate. And I want to support you if you need me."

The Other Side

"Get some cake. We deserve to celebrate a little."

Kitt had to admit...the size and appearance of the cake was impressive, more so than he had ever seen in his life. Nevertheless, unlike his compatriot, he kept the drooling to an internal one. And...unlike his compatriot...he took two nice hefty chunks of the cake and took it, once Olivander waved him down after seeing him. Honestly, he didn't want to seem like a glutton, but with the ordeal he went through...he figured no one would mind or care at this point.

"I'm sure there's a lot running through your head right now. We've been through a lot together, Kitt. You can safely express yourself to me. What happened to you was traumatic. Believe me, I know."

The young Dog sat down, placing the plate down in front of him. That was the best point Kitt could've heard for this moment. Olivander had been around and had taken many lives during his tenure as a Watchdog and possibly even before. The only life he saw him take was Simon's on Galatea, but the Watchdog of the deity of Wealth, it was only natural that he would be used to cut-throat methods on how to get what he wanted.

He was primed to speak, but Olivander cut him off before he did so.

"But you did the right thing, Kitt. You saved my life in the process. Well, you and that miracle doctor. I mean, look at me! No more burns! Can you believe it!? My point is, I know that line wasn't easy to cross, mate. And I want to support you if you need me."

Kitt glanced at Hinder's Dog before sighing heavily, finally moving and shoveling a sizeable piece of cake into his mouth for a moment. After savoring the delectability of this dessert, Kitt's shoulders went from their stiffened position to a more slouched mode. He let out another sigh, shaking his head. "I was...content to show you my resolve at first...I suppose some call it bravado. I was ready to show you I wasn't the simple forge whelp I was back on Galatea when I couldn't stop you from ending Simon's life. The helpless one who simply watched in horror as that man's blood filled the square that day..." he let out a light chuckle. "...I was ready...and yet, in the moment, my body trembled. I was afraid...afraid of what would happen to me. Afraid I would taint the weapon Taros returned to me with this dark thirst for bloodshed...afraid that if I went across this line...I'd never want to stop."

Another bite, another sigh.

"Olive, be honest with me..." he asked, looking at the thieving Watchdog. "...how do you do it? How does it come so natural to you, the ending of one's life... How does the smell, the sight, the look the unfortunate soul has in their eyes...how do you do it? And...how do you know when to draw the line? To know when to stop and not to go on a rampage with the bloodlust?"

The Code

"I was...content to show you my resolve at first...I suppose some call it bravado. I was ready to show you I wasn't the simple forge whelp I was back on Galatea when I couldn't stop you from ending Simon's life. The helpless one who simply watched in horror as that man's blood filled the square that day..."

Olivander's mind briefly drifted back to Galatea. He remembered Kitt's expression that day.

"...I was ready...and yet, in the moment, my body trembled. I was afraid...afraid of what would happen to me. Afraid I would taint the weapon Taros returned to me with this dark thirst for bloodshed...afraid that if I went across this line...I'd never want to stop."

Olivander remained silent. He used to think that way too.

"Olive, be honest with me... how do you do it? How does it come so natural to you, the ending of one's life... How does the smell, the sight, the look the unfortunate soul has in their eyes...how do you do it? And...how do you know when to draw the line? To know when to stop and not to go on a rampage with the bloodlust?"

Olivander didn't shy away from the question. He shoveled the past piece of his cake into his mouth and wiped his lips with his sleeves like the uncivilized street rat that he really was. "For me Kitt, I've developed a code. One that serves myself and my god," Olivander began.

"You see, Kitt, these things require nuance. They require a willingness to draw an even deeper line inside themselves. I have rules. Even when it comes to taking someone's life. For example, you'd be hard pressed to find me bringing harm to women or children except under extreme circumstances. One of such you're now familiar with: those blessed or cursed with power and who mean to use it to bring harm to others. I have rules. No torture. Needless suffering is cruel. That's not who I want to be. And, if resolution can be found without taking a life, I'll take that avenue first. What you're looking for is direction," Olivander explained.

"Kitt, you have to find purpose in what you're doing. Find purpose in every action, even taking a life. If you can prevent meaningless death, destruction, and ruin and save innocent people, that is the cost. You pay for it by getting your hands dirty so others don't have to. I don't kill indiscriminately. I don't kill just to kill. I kill those who mean to leave disaster in their wake. To keep myself from going mad, I remember that I'm not killing for myself, but for the people I wish to protect. Like the people of this island. Like the people of so many others. As you mentioned, Galatea.

I saw that Simon was prepared to leave the deaths of hundreds at his feet. By taking his last breath, countless people were saved. But there's one more thing I must also keep in mind, and it's the hardest truth that I must remind myself of," Olivander said as he sat back in his chair.

"I'm not a good man, Kitt. And that allows me to think clearly."

The Warrior's Code

Kitt didn't wait long for Olivander's response, for it seemed like the Dog of Hinder had been waiting to speak to him about this ever since they started. Could it be that he knew one day this would happen? Or was it perhaps that it was a clear inevitability that was obvious to everyone else, but he himself? Kitt wasn't sure...what he did know for sure, was that the cake was delicious and soothing...what more could ask for.

"For me Kitt, I've developed a code. One that serves myself and my god,"

"...a code?" he asked, mid-bite.

"These things require nuance. They require a willingness to draw an even deeper line inside themselves. I have rules. Even when it comes to taking someone's life. For example, you'd be hard pressed to find me bringing harm to women or children except under extreme circumstances. One of such you're now familiar with: those blessed or cursed with power and who mean to use it to bring harm to others. I have rules. No torture. Needless suffering is cruel. That's not who I want to be. And, if resolution can be found without taking a life, I'll take that avenue first. What you're looking for is direction."

The Forge Dog listened intently to this in-depth look into Olivander's methodology for the way he did things. For the first time in a while, perhaps the first time ever, the young man began to understand how the thief worked and operated. Before it was simply the comradery that they finally shared and worked upon since the beginning of their journey. But now? Now it seemed they were finally on equal leveling to where they could be looking at one another as equals. It was some time before Kitt realized he had already finished the pieces of cake he had, just being zoned in to what Hinder's Dog spoke to him.

"I'm not a good man, Kitt. And that allows me to think clearly."

The floor was open once more, now for Kitt to speak. The young man remained silent, before exhaling slowly, backing his chair up for a moment. He proceeded to kneel down near the Watchdog of Hinder, head lowered for a moment. "Olivander...Watchdog of Hinder, the god of Wealth...would you do the honors of assisting me? I...I wish to develop a code for myself...I wish to move forward with..." he paused, unsheathing his blade, now showing the red within it's steel. "...with this reminder of what happened here today. I wish to not let something like this happen...but I need a guiding hand." Sheathing his weapon once more, he raised his head. "Please...help me walk this path and to not stray into the depths of bloodlust. There's no turning back now...what I did, I did...so I must live with this. But it doesn't mean I can't use it as the starting point for myself."

Teach a Man to Fish

Olivander stood up slowly and dusted the chocolate crumbs from his chest. He grunted as he stood, his age and body catching up to him suddenly. He sighed with a smile and extended a hand to Kitt, helping his comrade to his feet. "I can guide you, Kitt. But in the end, you must make each final decision your own. It has to be something you trust yourself with. Savvy?"

Olivander gave Kitt a pat on the back. "You've come far. Learn to trust your instincts and your heart. Those should be the final deciding factors to these critical decisions. And remember to take each instance in high regard. It doesn't get easier, my friend. But it will never sully who you are as a person. That, I believe, is impossible. Unlike myself, you are a good man, Kitt. That's why these things are much more challenging for you. The day they become easy is the day you should reevaluate yourself. But that's not a day I think we'll ever see."

Olivander helped himself to another large slice of cake, shoveling the entire piece into his mouth at once. Finished with the decadence, he stretched and let out a satisfied sigh. "I think that's the best cake I've ever had."

Then, a tingling in Olivander's loins made him begin a new search. "Right. We can't dawdle, can we?" he said with a smirk. "Mate, I'm gonna find Helmsley. My door's always open if you need me."

A proud Sir William came strutting back up to Olivander's feet, demanding to be held. "Buck. Buck buck!" he called.

"Ohhhh, nowwww you want my attention? But the minute I tell a bad joke you'll go fluttering off," Olivander teased as they both began walking toward the main bridge. Olivander threw his hands behind his head and folded his arms.

"Buckaw!" William screeched.

"No sir. You'll be stretching those legs for a bit. Help me find the Captain," Olivander requested.

Without hesitation, Sir William sank his feet into Olivander's legs and climbed to his shoulder. "Buck buck!"

Olivander sighed, trying not to laugh. "Alright then, let's track him down."

Gotterdammerung_Cover_2.jpg

AND Muse, when our last curtain call rings true,
It is our only chance to meet with you.
--Song for the End of the World, lines 13-14

Notes from Captain Helmsley's Logbook

It’s refreshing to have a set destination in mind after so many guesses and half-measures, even if it is one so desolate as the edge of the world. They came to me and said, “Destino,” and that was that, we struck off, our heading just a little bit further westward. It was evening when we struck off, and I made sure Ephraim and the others knew to give Andalou a wide berth as we made our way around the island, just in case an incident like the one on our arrival happened again. Perhaps we needn’t have bothered. There certainly was something going on down below involving a great fire and a low, possibly musical hum emanating outwards from the island, but no errant missiles headed our way.

The sound sparked a memory in me. It was the memory of a dream I had when I was younger, long before I even considered taking to the skies on a ship of my own. I was walking along a sheer cliff at the edge of some vaguely familiar island -- whichever one it was, it doesn't matter -- when, by chance or by some distraction, a misstep sends me off over the edge. Now, I should stress, this dream felt as real as a dream could. When I say I did not feel fear, it is not because I knew myself to be dreaming. But that does not mean there is an absence of feeling either. Being forced to look down at an ever-approaching void, there is almost a sense of awe. At the very least, I found myself with an appreciation for the sheer scale of whatever had caused the world to end the first time around. The remaining islands, this ship, nothing compares to that.

Perhaps what really reminded me was my conversation with Andalou's harbormaster yesterday morning. I cannot recall his exact arguments (and what I can recall I dare not reproduce on the page) but there was a similar energy there, the overwhelming knowledge of what lies beneath our feet. Myself, the Swallow Tail is my way of fighting back against all that. I can conquer the skies and stave off the abyss, even if only for a moment.

This island, Destino, I don’t know much about it. The lighthouse is its sole building, and that’s more an old relic than anything of any functional use. There aren’t any jagged rocks to ward off anymore.

I suppose I should step in, then?

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Back when Naviim was whole and the city where Andalou is now was the capital, of course there was a use for a lighthouse protecting the city dock. But there is a reason the beacon is alight when you arrive, dear watchdogs, and it’s not because your arriving ship is in danger. No, now, the light beckons you forwards, drawing you nearer, just as it has everyone else who has heard my voice.

Shall I describe the scene to you? It is one that you have seen before, even if you can’t say where. Helmsley is correct, of course, that the lighthouse is the only structure on the island, but that ignores the stretch of flat grass I have set up for you to land on. It ignores the pathway I have provided you, bordered by rows of an ethereal fungus that lights up as you pass by. It even ignores the clouds of mist that envelop everything else, and you would think that, as a sailor, Helmsley would know better than to pass that by. The door at the base of the lighthouse is open, why don’t you come inside?

This is the Western edge of Naviim. Past here is the end of the world. It always will be. If the lighthouse is a ward to anything, it is to the darkness beyond. And you are going to help me snuff it out.

OOC

Spoiler
Spoiler

Subtitles are lyrics from Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones

Yeah, it's a lot of set dressing, but the setting is important for a finale, I think. Really, that's what Helmsley has always been there for, outside of the times he's been available for advice. I-

You don't get that luxury now, though. I wasn't finished.

What's Puzzling You Is The Nature Of My Game

Let me tell you what's going to happen next. I'll let you dawdle all you like, collecting your thoughts, perhaps even going back to your previous escapades to make sure you know exactly what all you have done for me, but you are going to enter my lighthouse. You are going to ascend those stairs that spiral upwards, breaching the trapdoor at the top to reach the balcony, where you will see the rotating set of mirrors encircling the fire. And tending to the fire, of course, is me.

I have many forms, perhaps befitting of one of my status, and while I certainly would like to remain in something preferred such as a cold westerly wind or perhaps even the crackle of the fire itself, but I am nothing if not a courteous host. So you may imagine me as a woman, kneeling by the fire, not even bothering to look your way. "Ca͢n̷t҉icųm̕ad ͝ ̷ ," I will say. "That's the word I have given you, just part of a whole. Would you like to know more?"
You may call me Nil, the Muse of the Void. I'm sure you have questions for me, and we can go through those first, but I will get what I want out of you.

OOC (For Real This Time)
Spoiler
Spoiler

Okay. So.

The finale to Götterdämmerung is one conversation with this god. I'm sure it can end any number of ways, but at least one of them is VERY VERY BAD, so, you know, uh, try not to get that one. Combat is out of the question, for the record. I'm not even going to entertain any attempts outside of perhaps a simple "It doesn't work." That doesn't mean you don't have weapons, though. I didn't have Nil recommend looking back just to taunt you. But I would say besides that, your goal is threefold:

1) Learn Nil's nature ("Muse of the Void," sure, but what does that mean?)
2) Understand the plot (How is Nil going to end the world?)
3) Save the world (no pressure lol)

Because this is a conversation, I want to really encourage you to reach out to me to get lines for her for your own posts. I may not be available at all hours, but I'll try my hardest to respond as quickly as I can. Of course, if you have any other questions you need answered away from her prying ears, I can provide those too.

-r

Edited by radio414

Taking Off

Over the course of the time until Destino would be in sight, Kitt took the time to be under Olivander's tutelage. He needed to learn how to properly make his own code, the way to trust his own instincts and heart about the decisions he would eventually have to face in time. But there was always the differing part between the two: he was innately a good man. This would be his morale compass and guide, he figured. Like Olivander said...

"That's why these things are much more challenging for you. The day they become easy is the day you should reevaluate yourself. But that's not a day I think we'll ever see."

He was built different, literally, so it was natural for him to find things like this challenging...and like his friend said, he'd have to reevaluate himself the moment things like this became easy. With the teachings Olivander gave and his newfound code of honor that was tailor fit for himself and Lord Taros himself...he didn't figure he'd stray away from the path that was set before him.

That was one part down...the other on the opposite side, however...

Vandalize

There Kitt sat in his quarters, his notebook open with it's pages and contents sprawled out all over the desk he found himself at...everything up to this point...from the first moment they stepped foot on Galatea to what he seemed to hear moments ago. Though it was the things he wrote of what he was just told that truly worried him.

Back when Naviim was whole and the city where Andalou is now was the capital, of course there was a use for a lighthouse protecting the city dock. But there is a reason the beacon is alight when you arrive, dear watchdogs, and it’s not because your arriving ship is in danger. No, now, the light beckons you forwards, drawing you nearer, just as it has everyone else who has heard my voice.

Shall I describe the scene to you? It is one that you have seen before, even if you can’t say where. Helmsley is correct, of course, that the lighthouse is the only structure on the island, but that ignores the stretch of flat grass I have set up for you to land on. It ignores the pathway I have provided you, bordered by rows of an ethereal fungus that lights up as you pass by. It even ignores the clouds of mist that envelop everything else, and you would think that, as a sailor, Helmsley would know better than to pass that by. The door at the base of the lighthouse is open, why don’t you come inside?

This is the Western edge of Naviim. Past here is the end of the world. It always will be. If the lighthouse is a ward to anything, it is to the darkness beyond. And you are going to help me snuff it out.

These words truly gave him a shiver...more so than he had ever felt before. But it was half of what was what said...he glanced over at the next bit he wrote.

Let me tell you what's going to happen next. I'll let you dawdle all you like, collecting your thoughts, perhaps even going back to your previous escapades to make sure you know exactly what all you have done for me, but you are going to enter my lighthouse. You are going to ascend those stairs that spiral upwards, breaching the trapdoor at the top to reach the balcony, where you will see the rotating set of mirrors encircling the fire. And tending to the fire, of course, is me.

I have many forms, perhaps befitting of one of my status, and while I certainly would like to remain in something preferred such as a cold westerly wind or perhaps even the crackle of the fire itself, but I am nothing if not a courteous host. So you may imagine me as a woman, kneeling by the fire, not even bothering to look your way. "Ca͢n̷t҉icųm̕ad ͝ ̷ ," I will say. "That's the word I have given you, just part of a whole. Would you like to know more?"
You may call me Nil, the Muse of the Void. I'm sure you have questions for me, and we can go through those first, but I will get what I want out of you.

"Muse of the Void..." he muttered. It was a strange title if any, especially considering that not even Lord Taros himself knew of this deity. This truly worried him. Regardless, he began to move his hands towards the records he had down in regards to Galatea. "The Void...could it be along the same lines of what Simon and his cult worshiped? The idea of this...oblivion?" Kitt sighed, shuffling them a bit before seeing the first word of power they received: Ina͠ni̷s. It was still a safe bet that this word ended up making those who spoke it turn into those stone statues...the image of them still vivid in his mind.

Shaking his head, Kitt put those papers down before turning to the next set: Corpus, the island trapped in a cycle of a time loop. One brought upon by his own mentor and teacher, Flynt. Things started to possibly click, least after everything he was just old. "That was the word I have given you..." he muttered, repeating what was said. "...did you give Flynt the Law of Cycles...?" His eyes glanced at the second word: E͘xǫlv̵u͞ǹt͘u̢ŕ. It would make sense. She possibly preyed on Flynt's desire to have power bestowed upon him once more, thusly handed him this Law of Cycles. "At the same time, he used to to better the island...albeit he did it in an invasive manner...but he did it to save the island." He compiled the papers and moved them to the side.

Last thing to look at, even though the memories of it were very much vivid still: Andalou. But unlike the others, here he and Olivander had to not only deal with a Watchdog who lost her way, but two words of power: t͠at҉ib͠us̨ and of course Ca͢n̷t҉icųm̕ad ͝ ̷ . The one gave a bit of a...honestly Kitt was still truly stumped on the specifics of the word that was used, but it seemed that it was something that caused some sort of artificial joy in others...possibly some illusions as well, at least from what Joy herself displayed. The other, was the first word in a sentence that would spell the end of all things...the apocalypse.

"The pieces are all here...and yet...nothing makes sense in the slightest." Kitt sighed heavily, putting all his papers and notes together once more and into his bag. "...the lighthouse is a ward...you'll help me snuff it out. ...I will get what I want out of you." he pondered these things as he shook his head. "It's almost like she's saying she already knows our answers and will be directing us to that expected result..." Standing up, Kitt gathered his things and began to make his way towards Olivander's room. Knocking on the door, although it was slightly open already, once he was given permission he entered. Thus, he began to give Olivander everything he thought about and ruminated over. "What do you think of all these things, Olive? Honestly, it seems like she's trying to vandalize our minds and how we think just by her words."

Balance

Since those words began entering his mind, Olivander found himself staring out of his window, into the darkness that surrounded the island of Destino. His journey had almost reached its end. Slowly he parsed the Muse's words in his head and realized he was dealing with something far greater than even Lord Hinder. How this was possible, he wasn't sure, but he accepted it nonetheless.

He was stirred only when he heard Kitt enter the room, his eyes still fixated on the blackness around them.

"What do you think of all these things, Olive? Honestly, it seems like she's trying to vandalize our minds and how we think just by her words."

He remained silent for a moment, before turning around slowly. "Kitt. I don't have a real answer for you this time," Olivander admitted. "This muse is the void's identity made whole. Made present in the form of a person. Only deities can do something like that. And this... deity... it's had a hold on the world for some time. I can only surmise that this is our opportunity to plead our case to the void," he expressed.

"If they're not convinced, our world will cease to exist. So before we leave the ship, we both need to come to peace with what could possibly happen. Kitt," Olivander said as he approached his friend. "There's a very real chance that tomorrow doesn't exist. And we're the last two people in the entire world who can avert that."

Olivander grinned from ear to ear, almost laughing. "No pressure, mate." He pat his comrade on the shoulder and left through the doorway behind Kitt. "I'm already prepared for the end, Kitt. I've been at peace with death for a long time. So I'll wait for you outside. We'll climb the stairs together. You and me, mate--"

There came a clucking behind Olivander as an oblivious Sir William came fluttering onto Olivander's shoulder. He laughed at last, heartily. He stroked Williams feathery head one more time. "You, me, and Sir William, mate. Let's face Oblivion together."

Olivander disappeared beyond the Swallow Tail's docking ramp where he waited for Kitt.

Running Up That Hill

"Let's face Oblivion together."

Olivander seemed so confident...or was it...that's right, Kitt did hear him say that he was at peace with the thought of no longer remaining in this world...he was prepared to die. That's just how he had always been and Kitt had seen it. But...would everything they accomplished be enough to have the world they knew continue to spin and another day be granted? Kitt wasn't sure, but perhaps THIS was the reason that Taros and by extension Hinder, had them continue to go west...to this point...to this...

"Lighthouse..." Kitt muttered, seeing the singular building here on Destino. It was, well just as this Muse described: he lighthouse is the only structure on the island, but that ignores the stretch of flat grass I have set up for you to land on. It ignores the pathway I have provided you, bordered by rows of an ethereal fungus that lights up as you pass by. It even ignores the clouds of mist that envelop everything else, and you would think that, as a sailor, Helmsley would know better than to pass that by. And right there...the door to this relic of a building. The grip he had on the hilt of his sheathed blade, staring the door down as if it were something similar to Joy.

An exhale escaped his lips as he and Olivander stepped off the docking ramp and towards the relic's door...opening it. There stood the spiral staircase...there wasn't any going back this time. Another exhale, Kitt began to ascend the staircase, his confidant, friend and brother in arms following close behind. It was perfectly normal to feel his heart wanting to leap out from his chest...this was the moment they were being directed towards. With each step, the exit seemed farther and father away, almost being out of sight. ...no...it's no use to go backwards...not this time. Not this time at all...especially now that Kitt made this decision himself...he took Olivander's advice: this was his choice to keep moving onward, to continue to follow his patron's whim...to make it his own.

The trapdoor now laid before him...to which he flung it open immediately. There, true to the Muse's words: a rotating series of mirrors with someone tending to the flame in the middle. "...Nil..." he muttered, helping Olivander up as well, just watching the mirrors rotate in quite the hypnotic manner. And true to what she spoke to them prior...she spoke again to them, though Kitt could basically mouth what she would speak...it was that clear.

"Ca͢n̷t҉icųm̕ad ͝ ̷ ...That's the word I have given you, just part of a whole. Would you like to know more?"

The tension and silence was thick, so thick in fact that Kitt wished he could take his blade and cut through it right now. But something hindered him from doing so. Perhaps it was just the fact of how grave the situation was, they knew nothing of what could happen if any harm came to this Muse. Outright striking her wouldn't accomplish anything. "...a word that is part of a sentence that spell out the apocalypse..." he spoke first. "We do have questions, but all those I have currently may wait for a moment...for now, I must ask the pressing one there is, one my friend here can agree with: who are you, Nil, Muse of Void, and why have we never heard of a god like you?"

Providence

A fair enough question. Nil’s lips moved, but her voice was twofold. She had a physical one that could barely be heard over the roar of the fire and at the same time she spoke into both watchdog’s minds as she had already done before. I have told you my name and I have shown you a face, but you are correct, I have not introduced myself properly beyond that. Still, I will answer your second question first, because it is simpler to answer. Why have you never heard of me, you who surely has committed each and every member of the pantheon to memory and has even met some of them on occasion? Because they did not want you to know. It’s a bit of a paradox, to be sure. Even after sending you all this way, I had to proclaim my existence to you. All you had from your gods was a single word.

It makes sense, I suppose. They certainly wouldn’t want you galavanting around asking every which person about mysterious words and names they might have picked up. Do not deny that that’s what you would have done. I have already seen you do so with my gifts. They want as few people to know my name as possible. Even knowing I exist is dangerous in their eyes, and they aren’t wrong.

Only now did Nil stand up from the fire and turn to face the two watchdogs. Her face twisted and morphed, taking on new features and discarding the old every time, even as it remained on the whole expressionless. Do you know how a god is made? Some say “they are the essence of the thing” but then the earth is still here despite Medeis fading away, so that obviously isn’t correct. Closer is the belief. “Belief in a god makes them exist, and, because they exist, more people tend to believe in them. A sustainable cycle that benefits us all.” But even that hides the full truth, otherwise, how would Dia be losing her influence?

Belief makes a god, but it is worship that keeps them immortal. So, if you will allow me to rephrase your question, you may as well be asking me to specify my domain. The Muse of the Void is my proper title, but it is this: I am made of the belief that the world is ending. I am not a god of death, but of decay. As for my worship, you have seen that for yourself.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Godspeed You! Black Emperor song.

Because this is a conversation, I'd like to reshape how posts might go moving forward. In the past, I've simply asked to insert a paragraph or two of text into the next person's post, but if I decide that Nil's response might take more than that, I'll probably just ask that I can insert a whole new post for it. She's allowed to do this as a muse, you know. I'll also take this chance to reiterate my request from earlier to get lines from me as well to keep things flowing smoothly. A big conversation like this runs a slight risk of getting gummed up otherwise.

Other than that, uh, good question, these are probably good things to keep in mind, and the last sentence is hopefully ambiguous enough to give you something to ask about if you have no other line of questioning you might want to pursue. It's up to you, of course.

-r

Short Change Hero

"If I may," Olivander stepped forward. "Your domain, decay, it's necessary from what I understand. Decay is what allows plants to bloom from corpses after all. But, Lord Nil, if everything decays and nothing survives, who would be there to worship you? I don't pretend to understand the way a divine being is born, created, or if possible, even ceases to exist. But if everything succumbs to decay and nothing survives, how will you maintain your existence? If you need worshipers to remain immortal, does that not imply that something must survive the void?"

Olivander posed his question genuinely, his eyes never leaving Nil's. Oddly enough, staring into Nil's eyes did not strike fear or awe the way Lord Hinder's did. Instead, he felt almost at peace. Perhaps this was because he had already long since accepted that he would die sooner or later. While he didn't long for death, he did not fear it. Decay was only a part of that. Rather, Nil's eyes calmed him. His mind felt clear. He knew what he wanted to ask and he knew how he wanted the conversation to go. This moment, being here with his two best friends and the Muse of the Void was...

the greatest peace he'd ever experienced in his life.

Like the Howling Glory of the Darkest Winds, This Voice Was Thunderous and the Words Holy, Tangling Their Way Around Our Hearts and Clutching Our Innocent Awe

Nil remained unmoving, though the fire behind her roared with seemingly even more intensity than it had before. I am aware, she said. If you are looking for a god or goddess with the natural cycle of life included as part of their theology, I would suggest looking elsewhere. Nuumu, perhaps? Or Mor? Even Laeta has included a part of it, as I am sure someone must have told you by now. Did her eyes betray a knowing look just then? Did she slightly smirk at her own implication? If you are looking for a god or goddess with negative connotations, I can name some of those as well, if you like.

For example, what would the world be without thievery? Without the very concept of wealth? Can you not imagine a world instead where everything belongs to everyone and meaningful decisions are left to the people involved? Would that not be a better world? There certainly would be fewer islands like Sindalium. But then, there would be no need for Hinder, would there? Far be it from me to judge you, of course, or your patron too harshly, but I think you should extend me the same courtesy. I am simply acting on your -- humanity’s -- beliefs. Every pantheon needs an apocalypse story, anyway, and, as a Muse, I do get to know how it ends.

This story will end with the stars going out, Nil said, and, as if to demonstrate her point, the bonfire behind her flickered, extinguishing for a moment before roaring back to life.

Now, let me ask you a question: The way you asked that question, perhaps it is my own biases, but it seemed like you think you can stop me. How do you expect to do that when all you have done since the beginning is further my own goals? Or do you somehow deny it?

OOC

Spoiler
Spoiler

Subtitle is the title a Red Sparrowes song (yes one song, singular)

It is a good question, despite Nil's scoff, and a worthy transition to the meat of the conversation at hand. The reason that both Nil and I told you to make sure you are aware of your past actions is that your characters are about to be judged on them. At the very least, I'd like to see you fight back about it, but maybe you have regrets?

You'll probably have a clarification question or two to this initial accusation, anyway, so send me a message to include the answers to those in your post.

-r

Edited by radio414

No Way Home

Olivander was the first to speak up...which brought in some interesting information. As such, it was obvious that Kitt would begin to write these things down...it was second nature to him at this point to catalogue his journey.

Now, let me ask you a question: The way you asked that question, perhaps it is my own biases, but it seemed like you think you can stop me. How do you expect to do that when all you have done since the beginning is further my own goals? Or do you somehow deny it?

"I suppose, before your question is answered, it's time for the questions I have for you myself..." Kitt exhaled slowly, flipping through the pages of his notebook. "You call yourself the Muse of the Void. Would this Void you speak of...would it possibly coincide and be related to the idea of oblivion that Simon Weatherson and his cult worshiped on Galatea?" He paused for a moment, exhaling again, pointing to the word Ina͠ni̷s. "And this word of power...it turns those who invoke it to stone. This word falling into their hands was your doing, correct?"

Nil changed her attention to Kitt with only a tilt of her head. It does, she said. Despite being a musician by trade, Simon Weatherson was not particularly creative, was he? But he was insistent on leaving his mark on history with the little time he had left, no matter what that mark might have meant, and it was that stubbornness I used more than any particular talent of his.

However, I do deny your other assumption, that Ina͠ni̷s simply turns people to stone. Ina͠ni̷s is a word of acceptance. It drains the will to fight on-wards. Surrendering one's soul is just the consequence.

"Drains the will...surrendering one's soul..." Kitt nodded, writing this down. At least that first theory proved true. "Moving along...the way you speak to us...it's as if through the wind. And you said prior, 'this is the word I've given you'. My next question is simple: did you have the Law of Cycles be carried in the wind to my mentor Flynt, taking advantage of his weakness? And if this be true...was it for good or ill gain?"

I did give Flynt the word E͘xǫlv̵u͞ǹt͘u̢ŕ, yes. As for my motivations, I think I've made that clear enough already. It went excellently, if you were curious enough to write that down as well.

Again, Kitt started writing that answer down once more. "Your motivations with that are still unclear, unless the word physically was causing the volcano to be as active as it was. But I digress..." He flipped through his pages again, getting to the next part. "You gave Joy t͠at҉ib͠us̨...which gave those on Andalou a sense of artificial joy and the illusions...you gave Flynt E͘xǫlv̵u͞ǹt͘u̢ŕ,..." Kitt paused, looking at the book and then at Nil, before shaking his head slightly. "I think...that's the main questions I had to ask. Andalou and Joy answered that much then...at the same time, I theorize you also spoke to us then too...and right now, you generally answered everything, straight to the point." He closed the book and began to put it back in his bag.

So answer my question then, Nil said. By what right do you think you can stop me?

Kitt was silent for a long period of time, long to him anyway. An exhale finally escaped his lips, before his eyes drifted from Nil to the edge of the lighthouse...to the scene of an outstretched horizon. He seemed...wistful when looking out. "Muse of the Void...I am the Watchdog of Taros....that's the right I have to think I can stop you. I know not how things may go, or if you've 'predestined' everything I've done up to this point...but I make my own path...I forge it every single day. My choices are my own...my indecisions are my own..." He slowly looked back towards Nil. "I can't give up, believing that this will be the end of it all. ...nay...I refuse to believe it. I have breath within my lungs...therefore, I shall continue to fight and strive forward."

Double Duty

Admittedly, Olivander almost laughed in Nil's face. Instead he managed to control himself to a smile. "I'll start with your first question," he said still grinning. "If I thought I could stop you I would've already attempted to do so. But I'm also not so foolish as to believe that as a watchdog, a fraction of my patron's power would allow me to even reach you. I'm not ignorant to the gap in strength that lies between us. Like the heavens and the world, it can't be bridged."

Olivander could only shrug, and Sir William let out a nod.

"As for your second question, I deny nothing. I've submitted and aided decay with every person I've murdered. If your goal is to see the world to decay, was there ever really any way to prevent it? Decay is a natural state of all life. If there was a way to stop it, things would be unbalanced. Life's ultimate goal, in my own selfish point of view, is to complete itself and rebuild anew. When a child is born, an elder dies. It's simply the way of nature. That much can never change."

Olivander's smug look returned. He was full of himself, but still pleased to be here.

"Lord Nil, I do not presume to understand what it is that you desire. That is exactly why I'm here. I'm not one of your worshipers. Nor am I your watchdog. I have almost no connection to you other than that I am breathing. So, I'm here to comprehend what it is you're looking to accomplish. Whether or not I like it is merely a result that has no bearing on what happens."

Olivander scratched Sir William's chin to which he clucked happily. "It would seem your mind is already made up, but only because it is your duty. I'm here to because I want to understand if you're doing this out of duty or because you choose to. Perhaps its both? You said yourself the stars would die out. If that's what is to be, I'm only asking what made you come to that decision."

Sick Times

Nil seemed particularly annoyed at Kitt’s response, but that was more expressed through the rather pregnant pause she left hanging in the air even as Olive responded as well. Perhaps even more noticeably, she kept her attention more on the latter, bemused at both his cock and his outlook. Alright, she said. Let me put it to you like this:

I was not created when Naviim ended the first time -- there was always some sect or another craving the apocalypse -- but after such a great calamity, there were bound to be more calling my name, intentionally or not. "The world is ending," they have said. "There is nothing to be done." Then, of course, the world only ended halfway. The gods sacrificed large swaths of their power to save themselves. But even as things have approached a new status quo, that belief has persisted. The world hasn't been brought up to the brink time and time again to my people, it has always been ending, and everyone else is delusional for even pretending it is not.

You ask if I am doing this, then, because it is my duty to my followers or if it is entirely my own doing. It is both, in equal measure, though I do admit a particular glee in welcoming unwitting followers into the fold.

This includes you as well.

Nil punctuated that sentence by kneeling back down, positioning herself so that she was perpendicular to the watchdogs and the fire, so she was able to look at either with a turn of her head. She focused her attention on the fire, and, amidst the flames, an image started to form. It was hazy, but it clearly resembled Galatea. Since you so kindly brought up Galatea, we can start there, she said. As she kept speaking, the image in the fire grew clearer and clearer, and when Nil mentioned a person, they appeared in the frame as well.

Despite your assertion, I am not judging you on any of your particular acts of violence. If you were aiming to hinder my goals, the removal of Simon Weatherson certainly had to be part of that. I will leave it to those who would weigh your heart against a feather to determine if there was a better way than his denouncement and summary execution. What I am more interested in, however, is everything else. When I think about what you have done for me on Galatea, I think about Rose and Gil, who have been authorized by Nuumu’s watchdog -- one of your colleagues! -- to continue spreading ina͠ni̷s and the rest of Simon Weatherson’s teachings. They might even become my watchdogs just for that.

I think about the Religious Council who, in the face of a cult that was slowly eroding the island, staunchly refused to do anything, and how you only let them off with a verbal reprimand. Levanna Marcus has proven stubborn enough to withstand a word of power, do you think she will change her ways? Especially after you -- she glanced back at Olive -- forced yourself on her?

And I think of Emily Briar, a young girl drained of vigor who you -- Nil’s eyes turned to Kitt -- have left in a place where she will either spread ina͠ni̷s to would-be worshippers or else she will succumb in front of the embers of a dying flame. 

Let me ask you this, now: Nil’s head turned back towards the watchdogs, her glare now as pointed as the question that followed. If the world does not end tonight, what do you think will happen to this island?

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Boards of Canada song

I realized after reading your last two posts that I do tend to have characters speak in riddles probably a bit too much but rather than try and fix it directly (though I do like to think Nil is a lot more direct than she has been before), I'd just start explaining myself in the OOC.

If you've played Persona 3 (and spoilers, I guess, for a sixteen-year-old video game if you haven't, I guess), the final boss, Nyx, is a being who, although she doesn't want to destroy the world, feels compelled to because of humanity's desire for death. Nil is not directly inspired by her -- she more draws from a trope that TV Tropes helpfully describes as "As Long As There Is Evil", but that's still a shared lineage. I just added a bit of existential set dressing. The "after a calamity, humanity began to wonder what the meaning of life really was" is basically the origin of that specific philosophy, after all, see especially the works of Friedrich Nietzche and Albert Camus. I just anthropomorphized that and gave her a bit of agency. And yes, I guess that does mean I gave you a hint on how to win, though just because I'm being more clear with my intent now doesn't mean you don't still have to figure it out. 

In a broader thematic sense, there's a bit of a divide between how societal problems are solved in real life and how they are in stories, and I wanted to attack that a little as well. I don't want this to feel like a "gotcha!" and I do apologize if it comes off that way, but that's why Nil compliments you.

The three islands were supposed to be representative of different responses to an existential threat. Galatea, then, was a combination of ignorance and sloth, that is, acceptance without action. I didn't create Galatea with the most epidemic-like word of power in mind, with a seemingly disinterested government and individuals left to do the best they can. I promise I had this specific concept in mind even before everything else to do with the story, but it sure did happen that my target start date was at the beginning of a year-long quarantine, and that surely influenced the play of it, at least on my end. I'll go through the other two when Nil gets to them.

As for your posts, I mean, she asked you a question, and you're welcome to respond however you like. Deflect back, ask her more questions, but be genuine about it.

If you have any questions about any of this, whether IC or OOC, feel free to ask them. This is the part where I get to actually share what's behind the curtain, which I'm certainly eager to do. Don't forget to hit me up for lines as well to keep the conversation moving.

-r