radio414

Götterdämmerung [IC/PG-16/COMPLETED]

Drought

"Good people of Galatea," Olivander began. "I apologize for the many disturbances I've brought to you. I won't take up too much more of your time," he said as he looked around at the many faces of the townsfolk. "But you have yet another great crisis on your hands. Without water, you will die. Not some of you. Not a few of you. All of you," he explained.

Olivander pointed toward the well in the distance as he continued. "Your well is dry, but the goddess Dia knows this. She has long been neglected and she receives few prayers. She alone is responsible for one of your most important resources in all of Galatea. You are all indebted to her. You are indebted to her when you take baths. You are indebted to her when it rains. You are indebted to her every time you thirst for a drink. The only way you, good people, will continue to survive here, or anywhere, is to give her the praise she so rightly deserves."

He turned his attention to Dia's temple next. "Be sure to offer your praises to Lord Dia. Daily. For each day, you need her. Keep her temple well. And last, but certainly not least," Olivander said as he lowered his hands. "Among you is a thief. Someone has stolen from Lord Dia, and her holy pearl is missing. It is imperative that this stone is returned to her temple, lest more blood be spilled in Galatea. If you have any information regarding Lord Dia's pearl, please, come to me, that I might retrieve it."

Olivander nodded. "Go in peace."

“You are going to have to observe what remains of my parents without me. I…I cannot. Even with Simon Weatherson dead and their souls laid to rest, perhaps I cannot bear to look again.”

“I’m not going to expect you to follow further...I’ll return.” Kitt nodded slowly, entering the building. The bakery being the first floor, where the smells of the different bread and pastries would be presented to his nose. It made sense on how Emily would understand how Taros and the blacksmiths would work in things. But his general thoughts needed to be put away for a moment, he had to check the scene upstairs.

...when he did, he honestly wished he didn’t.

BGM

There on the second floor there was a bedroom and in that bedroom, a woman with a body completely stone. Kitt stopped almost suddenly at this discovery, just watching and staring at it, before slowly walking towards the bed. He...could feel something deep within him as he stared at this stone body. It wasn’t anything malicious intent from this body, no...it was more or less, something else. Could it be...dread? A lingering sense of existential dread.

Now standing right beside the bed and staring at the stone body of Emily’s mother and he started to feel worse. The strong dread lingered in the pit of his stomach, but now...instead of the mother, he was witnessing the body...and for a split second became himself. Now he was understanding why the stone body that he was investigating gave him a sense of dread: it was reminding him of himself. Looking to the window, he saw something in the garden...a man who also was simply a stone body...her father most likely. He backed away for a moment, before lifting his own hand up to look at it.

“...T-Taros...” Kitt muttered, visibly sweating as he looked away with his eyes closed, clenching his fist slowly. “...Great Forge Maker...why does this hurt me so? Why does she remind me of myself?”

The more he dwelt on it, the more it hurt him. Was this what happened with him? After all, Taros and his father told him that he was Taros’ greatest creation...he was an artificial human. A great taboo to be kept from all until the right time. But seeing this, why did it sicken him? Why did it almost seem to torture him? Why…? “...why do I feel so uneasy around this body? Why do her stoney eyes...pierce my soul?”

He shook his head, backing up even further. He couldn’t handle it, his face seemed like he had seen a ghost or even a repeat of Simon’s death. The pit in his stomach continued to muster and fester, this sickened him so...but yet, the dread of his existence remained. The Forge Watchdog left the room and made his way down the stairs, trying to make sure he kept himself presentable towards Emily. He didn’t want her to see him in quite the state. However, he saw her in...much more of a worse state. She was sunk lower than she did in the threshold, her legs gave out from under her, and now just barely propped herself up against the bakery's outer wall in a seated position. It was light, but she was paler than she was before.

“...I...saw the scene.” Kitt simply said, walking out of the building’s threshold. A mask and facade was put on now, to where the Watchdog had no emotion. “You...have my condolences. Is there anything else you would remember from this? Nuumu’s Watchdog told me the general details, but coming from the mouth of the family would be better.”

"The vision I had," Emily mumbled, seemingly to nobody in particular, "I asked Myria how I could bring my parents' souls to rest. I should have asked..." Only then did she realize that she had been spoken to, and she looked up at Kitt, a distant look in her eye. "Such as? Her dying words? My mother pulled me in close, apologized for nothing of consequence, and left me with a single word: Ina͠ni̷s. I do not know what it means, but how could I forget it?"

Emily coughed. "I do hope this is just fatigue," she added. "It certainly feels like I could sleep forever."

Kitt looked at Emily, crouching down as he put his hand on her shoulder. “...so nothing else caught your eye or anything?” he asked, a small look of worry began to appear on his face.

Emily's gaze narrowed into a glare. There was at least some vigor in her eyes, at least. "I am sorry I was too busy watching my mother petrify before my eyes."

The response from her cut him, much worse than any bladed weapon ever could. Kitt looked away, sighing slowly. “...I-I’m sorry...I’m only trying to help to the best of my ability.”

She gave a pained sort of grunt at that, though the glare remained. "Nuumu's watchdog thought you could free the soul trapped inside, though if this is the first you are hearing about this maybe she did not believe too hard." She gave a little laugh at that. "If you cannot do this, I imagine there is not much else to do but lay me down on a bed and hope what I need is rest."

Kitt sighed again, before nodding. "She told me that she'd need the forge, as the temple pyres were not fit to cremate a statue." It pained him to even say the word like that, and he was fairly certain Emily noticed it. "In any case, I'm...willing to try. I can see what the Forgekeepers can do with making the proper preparations with the forges. But...I ask that you do one thing...continue to hold on. I'm walking you to the temple of Lar, Nuumu's Watchdog made mention to me before that you and your family pay tribute to that one...I want you to stay there until this is done. You need not be here when things happen. And in your condition now, you need the comfort of Lar to be with you."

...but that word though...her mother's last word...don't tell me that's the word Neasa was talking about earlier...

A Rock

Gil started near the outside of the ring of people and worked their way in, passing by those that had also bothered to see what the second fuss was about. There was no water? “We know,” someone near Gil muttered. “That’s why Simon was there in the first place.” Which was true! That was how they had been operating in the past, Some event would draw attention to a specific temple so of course that was where they had to be. Of course, now that Nuumu had so kindly offered their space they no longer had to do any of that, at least for the time being.

The watchdog mentioned the mother of pearl stone too. Was that all he needed? Gil felt the pearl in their breast pocket, even going as far as to, when people started clearing out again, taking it out and examining it, weighing in their cupped hand. When enough people had cleared, they even held it out in front of them and said aloud, “This?”

They approached the watchdog and said it again. “This? We were looking for somebody to give it back to but all the acolytes left when we arrived and I believe many have not returned to their station even now. We have no use for it.”

Gil sensed Rose behind them and turned away from the watchdog, towards their partner. “I believe he will also be needing your stone at some point,” Gil said. “It would be best to give it to him now, I imagine.”

“If you say so then I will agree,” Rose said. They took their sapphire out and placed it on the ground, before looking up and addressing the dog in the middle of Temple Square. “We do not begrudge you for the death of Simon Weatherson. As they say, ‘From your lips to the gods’ ears,’ if you deemed it necessary, then what else can we do but respect that decision? We had a similar discussion with Nuumu’s watchdog.

“We have as little desire to see Galatea fall to drought as you do,” Rose continued. “Return water to Galatea and together we can wash this blood away.”

A Hard Place

Aiden held the back of his hand to Emily’s forehead. “No fever. She’s cold to the touch, actually,” he said. “Well, fortunately, we have the largest fire in Galatea. Hopefully staying warm will not be a problem.”

He looked up at Kitt. “Here, though? We collectively have some basic knowledge of medicine, but perhaps it would have been better to find -” He cut himself off. “No, Wendell would likely have been helpless as well. I have heard the stories. I will trust your judgment. Who knows, maybe this is a disease of the spirit? Or, perhaps just weariness. In those cases this would be the best place, I agree.

“If I may confide in you further,” Aiden stepped away from Emily’s cot and closer to Kitt. “It feels like so much has happened all at once. Yesterday doesn’t feel like yesterday anymore, it feels weeks ago, or even more. What is left? What can I do? And if it is just ‘watch over this girl,’ I have to ask, what are you going to do in the meantime?

“What is going to happen to us?”

OOC

Spoiler

Gonna jump right in with individual notes then I'll do a collective note at the end this time.

Olive: Is it an anticlimax to have the pearl and sapphire returned like this? Or is it a resolution to actions from both you and Neasa? Rose and Gil seem to be happy with their situation (Rose confirming Neasa's terms with Nuumu's temple happened offscreen) and this is what you wanted, right?

Kitt: Pulled you to Lar in general and Aiden in particular because that's where he was heading. Left kind of an open-ended question (there are no wrong answers! I promise!) because, well, to be honest I'm trying to wrap things up.

That kind of ties to both notes, actually. There isn't much more information I can give you. If I can make a recommendation -- and this is only a recommendation! -- I would suggest meeting up, pooling information (you can even learn what Neasa does, if that helps), and deciding on a final move (or a few final moves) before moving to an epilog wrapping everything up. Maybe Olive saw Kitt going into Lar's temple, that can be how you know where each other are. Again, only a recomendation. If you go digging, I'm sure I could give you some dirt.

But the gods are always calling you westward, further westward.

As always, drop me a ping or dm for those questions, concerns, or if you just want to say hi.

Curios-er and Curios-er-er

As the crowd cleared, Olivander was approached. Hand in the air, clear as day, they held Lord Dia's pearl outstretched.

This? We were looking for somebody to give it back to but all the acolytes left when we arrived and I believe many have not returned to their station even now. We have no use for it.”

Olivander paused before taking the stone from whomever this person was. Why were the acolytes gone? "Yes. This is what I was looking for. I believe it is precious to Lord Dia. But then, why do you have it?" he asked, accusingly. He sighed and placed the stone in his pocket. "I'm sorry. You came forward willingly so I shouldn't assume too much as to why the stone is in your possession. It does leave me concerned, but I will return it to Lord Dia at once."

I believe he will also be needing your stone at some point,” Gil said, addressing their partner. “It would be best to give it to him now, I imagine.”

If you say so then I will agree,” Rose said. They took their sapphire out and placed it on the ground, before looking up and addressing the dog in the middle of Temple Square.

There was a second stone? This was the first that Olivander had heard of it. He took it as well and placed it in an adjacent pocket. "Thank you for returning the pearls."

We do not begrudge you for the death of Simon Weatherson. As they say, ‘From your lips to the gods’ ears,’ if you deemed it necessary, then what else can we do but respect that decision? We had a similar discussion with Nuumu’s watchdog. We have as little desire to see Galatea fall to drought as you do,” Rose continued. “Return water to Galatea and together we can wash this blood away.” Rose finished.

Olivander nodded. "I have no desire to spill more blood on Galatea's land. I will speak Lord Dia and work with her to restore water to Galatea."

He turned away from Gil and Rose and made for Dia's temple. He would return both stones, but he now had more questions than answers.

Whether 'Tis Nobler...

“No fever. She’s cold to the touch, actually. Well, fortunately, we have the largest fire in Galatea. Hopefully staying warm will not be a problem. Here, though? We collectively have some basic knowledge of medicine, but perhaps it would have been better to find-....No, Wendell would likely have been helpless as well. I have heard the stories. I will trust your judgment. Who knows, maybe this is a disease of the spirit? Or, perhaps just weariness. In those cases this would be the best place, I agree."

Kitt stood there, listening to Aiden speak, only nodding. "...I only figured it was right for her to be in the presence of her patron. Her home...in the state it's in shouldn't be the place she rests her head." he said slowly, glancing over at the now resting Emily. Once more, the pit in his stomach resurfaced as he feared the worst would come.

“If I may confide in you further, It feels like so much has happened all at once. Yesterday doesn’t feel like yesterday anymore, it feels weeks ago, or even more. What is left? What can I do? And if it is just ‘watch over this girl,’ I have to ask, what are you going to do in the meantime? What is going to happen to us?”

Kitt was silent as he listened to Aiden's questions, before crossing his arms slowly. "I need to see what I can do with having the Forgekeepers here in Galatea can do with making the proper preparations with the forges. Numuu's Watchdog said that we were to try and free the souls of their rocky prison, and generally...the temple pyres of Numuu weren't fit to cremate a statue." he paused, before sighing. "After that, I know I have to oversee the sword dedication ceremony...it's only right that one of the reasons I was here was for that. But as for Galatea itself? I'm...unsure. As you said, the last few hours even have been quite toiling on the mind. I'm...going to reconvene with my fellow Watchdogs, everything should be brought up to a head tonight." ....at least, that's the hope...

Aiden sighed. "Alright, well. I suppose all we can do is our best. You will be in my prayers, at the very least."

"That's more than I could ask for..." Kitt said, preparing to turn away to return to Taros' temple for a moment, but paused. He immediately reached into his satchel and pulled out a small book and a pen that went with it. There, he wrote the word he remembered hearing escape Emily's lips: Ina͠ni̷s. He looked at it and then showed Aiden. "...don't speak the word, but I have to know...this word here, is it the cause of it? She spoke it and even said this was her mother's last words. I know Numuu's Watchdog said there was a word that would keep a soul from going on...do you know if this might be it?"

Aiden stared at the word for a moment before closing his eyes and shaking his head. "It is not a word I recognize," he said. "The effects you describe, though, it could be an older, ancient word -- some old words have been forgotten for a reason. Just knowing, then, would be dangerous."

"I see..." Kitt nodded, closing the book and returning it into his satchel. Best to keep that specifically for his comrades. "Thank you Aiden for your help, in all of this. I shall take my leave...hopefully tomorrow will shed the final pieces into this terrible assortment that is a puzzle."

"From your lips to the gods' ears," Aiden said.

Kitt gave a slight bow, before taking one last look at Emily before he left. ...may the Great Forge Maker be with you...as well as the god of the Hearth... he thought, before finally exiting Lar's temple. His mind was heavy still, his soul felt at unease. This trip to Galatea, while exciting at first, truly was putting him through the ringer as it were. The events from the past hours were definitely something he had weighing heavily on him. Now he just needed to speak to the others...

...and as fate would dictate, Kitt watched Olivander making his way into Dia's temple. With a heavy sigh, the Watchdog of Taros made his way also to Dia's temple. The two of them needed to talk and soon.

Bygones

As Olivander reached the edge of Dia's temple, he paused. There was an additional set of footsteps behind him. Turning around he stared into Kitt's face. He was expecting the young Nuumu watchdog, but Kitt would suffice. The young man's face was riddled with concern. But Olivander wasn't sure if it was because of Simon's death or something more. He waited until Kitt caught up to him, just outside Dia's temple. "You seem begrudged, Kitt," Olivander said once his fellow watchdog was in earshot. "I can't help but wonder if my words and actions have stained your impression of me," he joked. Though, perhaps this wasn't the best time. "What seems to be the matter now?" Olivander folded his arms and braced his back against Dia's temple. He silently thought about everything that had happened the past few days in Galatea. He was still angry with the Religious Council.

Perhaps the inaction that bothered him so much is what really led to Simon drawing his last breath. People were dying and they sat on their hands. Or was it Kitt's words that pushed Olivander to act? There were a number of factors to consider, but Simon was no longer one of them. He shook the thoughts from his mind and gave Kitt his full attention.

"Don't be shy. You can curse me if you need to," Olivander said flatly.

...in the Mind to Suffer

Kitt's footsteps echoed near Dia's temple, mixing in with Olivander's own. Taros' Watchdog kept following, only hearing the words speaking from Hinder's Watchdog.

"You seem begrudged, Kitt. I can't help but wonder if my words and actions have stained your impression of me. What seems to be the matter now? Don't be shy. You can curse me if you need to."

There was a strong tension at the edge of the temple as Kitt stared Olivander down. Silence could fill area, before he finally let loose a sigh. "I would love nothing more than to curse you, Olive. I would love nothing more than that...but alas, a curse from Taros would possibly do nothing for you, Watchdog of Hinder." he sighed again. "As for what begrudges me, you know the answer to this...but allow me to elaborate."

Kitt slowly held up one finger. "The manner in which this was done was the worse possible scenario, in my eyes. We had Numuu's Watchdog working on this and learning about this cult of his." Another finger slowly began to raise. "I feel my words...my own words and attempts to halt the quelling of the situation made it worse. Was it by my attempt of help that caused a man to lose his life? I don't know, but I am plagued by that scenario...and it's slowly killing me." A third finger began to raise. "...I went to see the young girl's home and saw first hand what this curse and plague can do...and it worried me, frightened me even. I can't speak now on why it did, but rest assured, it scared me more than anything else has ever..."

The three fingers lowered as Kitt proceeded to sigh once more. "...nevertheless, I can't say anything or curse you for it. You were simply acting upon your patron's will...albeit a bit of a quite insane will to steal a man's life, but again, you are my first meeting with Hinder and his will. With that, seeing you here, I assume your attempting to restore the water to Galatea? Regardless, after this, we need to pool our information...our time here...we've seemed to have solved almost nothing at first glance...we need to fix this place before we go onward."

Well Enough

"I would love nothing more than to curse you, Olive. I would love nothing more than that...but alas, a curse from Taros would possibly do nothing for you, Watchdog of Hinder."

Olivander remained silent but continued to listen.

"As for what begrudges me, you know the answer to this...but allow me to elaborate."

Olivander nodded as Kitt spoke his mind.

"The manner in which this was done was the worse possible scenario, in my eyes. We had Numuu's Watchdog working on this and learning about this cult of his."

"That's right," Olivander thought to himself. "Nuumu's dog intended to study while people continued to die."

"I feel my words...my own words and attempts to halt the quelling of the situation made it worse. Was it by my attempt of help that caused a man to lose his life? I don't know, but I am plagued by that scenario...and it's slowly killing me."

"Hmph," Olivander grunted.

"...I went to see the young girl's home and saw first hand what this curse and plague can do...and it worried me, frightened me even. I can't speak now on why it did, but rest assured, it scared me more than anything else has ever..."

"Is he referring to the girl who had the sword? I never paid much attention to her, but she must be important to him. Or, at least her situation is," Olivander thought.

"...nevertheless, I can't say anything or curse you for it. You were simply acting upon your patron's will...albeit a bit of a quite insane will to steal a man's life, but again, you are my first meeting with Hinder and his will. With that, seeing you here, I assume your attempting to restore the water to Galatea? Regardless, after this, we need to pool our information...our time here...we've seemed to have solved almost nothing at first glance...we need to fix this place before we go onward."

Olivander was mostly in agreement with Kitt. "Yes, I have been looking to restore Galatea's water. I like to think that my instructions to the townspeople will not go unheard. I'm attempting to make things right with Lord Dia. But we cannot force them to pray to her," Olivander mentioned. He looked over his shoulder into Dia's temple, then back to Kitt. "I still have many questions, but I don't believe they'll be answered today. Walk with me, Kitt," Olivander asked as he entered Lord Dia's temple.

Approaching the inner sanctum, Olivander, taking the stones from his pockets, placed one of the Mother Pearls onto the empty pedestal, and placed the other where Lord Dia last appeared before him. He walked patiently back to the pedestal where he stood and talked to Kitt once more.

"I strongly believe that Galatea is under attack," he said suddenly. "But no amount of inaction will change their fate. I believe we must do everything in our power now, before these people are swallowed whole. And to that end," Olivander said with a sigh. "I'm willing to work closely with you. And I'll allow you to take the lead. But," Olivander said as he folded his arms again. "Do not ask me to be patient, Kitt. People are dying. We should act with urgency."

Notes from Captain Helmsley’s Logbook

Apparently, Galatea underwent a day-and-a-half-long drought but now it’s better? After being chased off by some cult (the nature of which does not need to be logged here), an acolyte returned to the temple to see an additional stone in Dia’s inner sanctum, a sapphire, that was just resting beneath the pedestal. It was that same acolyte, then, that recalled some lore and smashed the gem against the wall of the local well. And water came out! I imagine there may be crowding at Cornucopia rock, then, but things will return to the way they were eventually. Maybe there’ll be a ceremony at Dia’s temple for that brave acolyte as well.

These are just things the dockworkers tell me. In case it wasn’t obvious, I did not actually manage to venture my way into Galatea proper, so wrapped up was I in hearing all this gossip. It does mean I can only hear about the actions of the watchdogs second-hand. One killed a man, I hear. I have to assume the gods willed it.

Of course, getting all your information from dockworkers also means that some obvious tall tales slip through the cracks as well. There was one particular man -- one of the younger ones, if I remember, which certainly didn’t help give credence to his story -- who insisted on the existence of some disease that turned people to stone! “You hear a certain word, then it saps you of your will, and then you die,” he insisted. “Even worse, some members of the council have been affected.” Of course, when asked to produce this magic word, the man’s cheeks flushed and he could not. We all had a good laugh at that.

All this gossip is good for spirits, but my crew is getting restless without proper work. I expect we’ll be setting sail soon, however. Call it a sailor’s intuition.

OOC

Spoiler

Definitely a shorter host post and without proper hooks like the past twenty-two(!) have been, but that's because all of Galatea is kind of your oyster at this point. Like I said, there isn't much more to learn. I kept the time ambiguous, but I like to think it's the dawn of a new day. You both now know what each other watchdog, including Neasa, knows. If you think Galatea has any more problems that need solved, you're going to need to be decisive.

To help, here's where you can find some characters:

• You both start at the inn
  • Aiden is tending to Emily at the Temple of Lar
  • Levanna and the rest of the council are in their offices doing bureaucracy
  • Rose and Gil are at the Temple of Nuumu preparing their first sermon
  • Caleb is at the Temple of Taros preparing to dedicate his sword (both the dedication ceremony and the cremation rites will begin when they become relevant, so don't worry about missing it) (he didn't show up last night even if Olive did -- he got his sword back, your services are no longer needed)
  • and Captain Helmsley is at the dock when you're ready to leave

The sailor's rumor is not precisely what that word does, by the way, but it's also not wrong. I realize I've been cagey as to what exactly the effects are, but first of all, it's not not a hook for the remaining islands, and second, the effects as described should be enough for your purposes here.

As always, I'm around for questions, comments, and concerns. Do what you think is best.

We Know What We Are...

"Your steel is my body and your fire my blood...forge a pathway to understanding and cleave through uncertainty...I am the bone of your sword, you are the Master Forger. So as I pray: Great Forge Maker, Taros."

Kitt exhaled slowly, his prayer recited. The sounds of the forge continued to make the normal noises it would, but yet there once again...just like he always heard: the sounds of the fire crackling and roaring in a manner that wasn't like any other. Once more, his prayer to Taros was heard...the deity of the forge would be granting him the strength to carry on with the day.

At least, this is what he assumed, anyway...

In truth, rather than being at the Temple of Taros as usually, he had already found himself at the inn with Hinder's Dog. This day, the needed to put the closing touches on everything they had. It was only them, however...he hadn't seen Neasa since the happenings at the town square. But then again, Nuumu's Watchdog provided some information that was delivered to them on a piece of paper to give them more leads. It seemed now...all these two had to do was get things closed.

"...at this moment, we have a few things to take care of...to round things up, as it were. Something tells me we need to continue onward...and away from Galatea after today." Kitt sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "I believe...we should make our rounds, starting with Lar's temple. I wish to check upon Lar's acolyte, Aiden and how Emily is doing. After that...I suppose we face the religious council once more."

Set Wrap

Olivander wiped his face of bread crumbs and stood up from his seat, stretching.

" ...Something tells me we need to continue onward...and away from Galatea after today. "

He nodded. "I couldn't agree more. I have very little left to do, but--"

"I believe...we should make our rounds, starting with Lar's temple. I wish to check upon Lar's acolyte, Aiden and how Emily is doing. After that...I suppose we face the religious council once more."

Olivander huffed. "That's all fine and dandy. For now, I will visit Lord Dia. I wish to make final amends with her. I won't be long behind you." With a short wave, Olivander left the inn and headed toward Lord Dia's temple. His footsteps were silent as the left the inn, of Galatea, for the last time.

As he entered into Lord Dia's inner sanctum, Olivander silently offered her a prayer of thanks before he spoke.

"You need not answer, my Lord. I've simply come to make peace," he began. "I've come to recognize the importance of your place here, and around the world. I hope in time that the people of the world will as well. Your works are of great importance, be they direct or indirect. And you continue to keep these people alive, myself included. For that, I thank you. I've also come with an offering," he said as he drew a single silver piece from his pocket. "One of three silver pieces from one of my first conquests. I know that money is of no importance to a god. But I hope that you will see the value in this offering. It means a lot to me."

Olivander began to stroll away from the inner sanctum, but stopped at the precipice. "I believe you are the only god that Hinder will not allow me to steal from," he said with an honest smile. "And I'm okay with that."

His footsteps echoed softly as he left Dia's temple, in Galatea, for the last time.

As Olivander ended his time in Galatea, he drew from his pocket a small, purple pouch. Inside, it appeared to be empty to any other man's eyes. But what Olivander could see was much more. From the pouch, he drew a handful of golden coins, marked with a goblet that appeared to be spilling over. Hinder's mark. He stepped into Hinder's temple, crossed over into the inner sanctum, and sealed it behind him. There, he fell to his knees and offered Hinder a prayer. As he chanted silently, he spread the coins over an altar covered in gold, where his own coins stood out. "May the common man thrive. May the greedy fall. May the wicked become barren," he said softly.

Olivander's footsteps were quiet as he left Lord Hinder's temple, in Galatea, for the last time.

the remaining item on his list was simply to address the religious council. He had few words for them, because he wanted to curse them all. But he also realized that they could very well take his words and use them to strike out against the people. He sighed, looking to the center of Galatea. He would wait for Kitt there.

...But Know Not What We May Be

"That's all fine and dandy. For now, I will visit Lord Dia. I wish to make final amends with her. I won't be long behind you."

Kitt honestly figured that Olivander would be going to do his own thing, rather than following a set path. After all, to each Watchdog their own...he wasn't going to question it nor Hinder's will for him. Nevertheless, Kitt found himself heading directly to Lar's temple. That was his start...he needed to check in with things there before he continued. With a slow exhale, the Forge Maker's Watchdog made his direction known and entered Lar's temple.

The inside of Lar's temple, while he had seen it countless times before (or in his case, roughly two times), Kitt noticed fewer water containers in the corner that there were prior. Perhaps there was something going on that he wasn't aware of prior. Nevertheless, he saw the central fire burning brightly enough and out of the corner of his eye, he saw Emily currently sitting in one of the pews, still covered in a blanket.

I suppose me speaking to her is one thing I should do before I leave... Kitt thought, before making his way towards the pew, approaching Emily with a clearing of his throat. "Good morning...how are you feeling?"

"Well, I am still alive, at least," she said. "Good morning. How are the preparations for my parents' funeral?"

"They're going well. I gave those in Taros' temple direct instructions to contact me once they're complete." Kitt nodded. "Once it's all taken care of, that should be one thing you won't have to worry about."

"That is good, at least." She shivered. "How are you otherwise?"

A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he sat in the pew, shrugging slightly. "All things considered? I'm more confused and puzzled about things than I've ever been. A curse that turns those to stone if you utter a single word...a cult about a void...a religious council that seems to not do much. It's...baffling." Kitt explained. "And while I've been preparing to be the Watchdog of Taros since my birth...I've...never seen or dealt with anything on this level before. The events of yesterday still weighs heavily on my mind."

He paused, before shaking his head, chuckling lightly. "...and I know I shouldn't be saying this to a young lady like yourself. Otherwise you might think of the Watchdogs as less."

Emily managed a smile. "I would not have sought you out if I thought less of you," she said. "And I still feel like I would. There is some faith in the gods there, at least. Though I suppose the watchdogs are as mortal as the rest of us."

She paused. Then, "This curse... is that what happened to my parents? Are you saying that is what is happening to me?"

"That...I cannot be sure of." Kitt sighed. "I truly wish it isn't the case and that this may just be a passing sickness. That's why I brought you to the temple of your patron. To allow you to be in their embrace, possibly to help with the healing process. Whether it's the case of this or not, I figured any chance to fix this is worth it."

"I suppose I would not know either way," Emily said. She looked into the fire. "There is comfort in this, focusing all my energy on this divine flame, but there also is this intrusive thought: if I do become well again, do I just continue the family business? Bake bread for the rest of my life until Nuumu comes to claim me? The thought repulses me and it did not before yesterday. The thoughts continue in ways that I dare not describe, and I resist, of course, but I am still left with the question, what else is there?"

Another paused. "This flame is going to go out eventually," she added, before turning back to look at Kitt "I realize I should be asking Myria these things, not you, but I heard Myria's dog left the island and, well..." she gestured to her blanket.

Kitt looked at the flame that Emily stared at, before looking back at the young girl. "I may not be Myria or Myria's Watchdog...but I'll try to give some insight." he said, clearing his throat. "With the crossroads you've come to, I suppose it would...what is it in your heart and soul you wish for. If you feel like the bread baking portion of your life you've known for so long is at it's end, then only you can make that decision. Listen to the voice of your patron for guidance. They alone can give you the answers you seek. Me? I can only give advice...I'll remind you that Taros is...not exactly a philosophical deity...he's more of a rough, rigid one..." he let out a small chuckle.

"That is the fear," Emily said flatly, continuing her stare. "I am not sure my heart or soul wish for anything anymore. But I will keep an ear out for Lar's voice -- or anyone's voice -- all the same."

"Heh...honestly it's just me, but with you and the fiery display you've shown...I think you could honestly pass for a Watchdog yourself. You and Aiden both." Kitt gave a small smile, shaking his head. "Regardless, I'm sure you'll get your answer in due time."

"From your lips to the gods' ears, I suppose," Emily said.

Once he finished, Kitt gave Emily a small smile...one of compassion as he left the young girl to her own devices. He then proceeded to speak to a few of Lar's acolytes to find out where Aiden was. Of course, he didn't see him when he walked in...but luckily he got his answer: "If you're looking for Aiden, he should still be in his room". Kitt nodded, thanking them as he moved towards the temple's chambers, knocking on the doors to it.

"You can come in."

Once he was granted entrance, Kitt walked into the chambers. Upon first glance, the acolyte was at his desk, writing in his logbook. At the glance, however, it did seem that he was having issues getting words out. "Good morning, Aiden." he said. "Was checking in on things on my rounds for today..."

He glanced Kitt's way. "Oh, good morning. You saw Miss Briar in the sanctuary, I assume?"

"I did..." Kitt nodded. "Had a nice little talk with her...she honestly gave me encouragement, surprisingly enough."

"We are doing our best," Aiden said. "Do not mind me too much, this is just something I was meant to do last night. But even after a night of sleep I find it difficult to properly recount the events of yesterday. Even just the ones that pertain to this temple, for who was it but my poor acolytes and I who had to clean up Simon's blood?"

These words did cut him, which made him wince a bit, but he shook off the feeling for a moment. He nodded solemnly, sighing a bit. "I understand. I apologize immensely for what occurred yesterday. Even now I feel that my attempt to quell Hinder's anger was the cause of someone losing their life."

Aiden waved his hand. "I am not blaming you, nor would I think you should apologize even if I had," he said. "Is it not the point of the gods' watchdogs to do the things they deem necessary when others cannot or will not? I am not even sure I would have done differently. I might even have gone after what remains of his following, too, though I suppose we will have to see about that. If Nuumu has judged them worthy of sharing his temple I dare not disagree, or disagree publicly, at least."

"I suppose you have a point." Kitt nodded, another sigh escaping his lips. "In any case, I simply came to see how everything was...on my last rounds. Taros is calling me onward...so this will be the last day you'll see me here, unless the Great Forge Maker has me to return."

Upon hearing this Aiden stood up and turned to face Kitt directly, giving the dog a slight bow. "Well, it has been an honor having you, in any case. Lar's domain is practically the opposite of travels, but I wish you the safest all the same."

Kitt nodded and gave Aiden a bow in return. "Thank you, Aiden. I will continue to remember the sights and people I've had the honor of coming in contact with here on Galatea. I wish nothing but the best wishes upon you, the other acolytes of Lar as well as those here on this island." With that, the Watchdog of Taros left Lar's chambers and the temple all together, making his way back. He prayed silently, hoping that above all else: Emily would be fine and find her calling in all of this.

Big God

Despite what some members of certain religious circles would say, Levanna thought, the only downtime the religious council had was while they all slept. And even that was variable -- Katherine, for example, was known to have her fair share of late nights going over old lore, to the point where a common ribbing among the five of them was that she barely slept at all. The point was, even after their meeting the previous day, Levanna (and surely the other members of the council) still had a lot on their plates, which then, of course, carried over to the next day.

Perhaps that was why the criticisms levelled towards them all frequently escalated into accusations of inaction. The council was inherently insular, after all; they were chosen by the island’s populace, yes, but hardly anybody could get into the council chambers, could they? Only action was visible, but action came slowly. They were but mortals, after all, as was everyone else on the island, even if the watchdogs liked to pretend otherwise.

What had she wanted when she had tried to keep the knowledge of Simon Weatherson from the watchdogs? It had been such a low-probability gamble and, in hindsight, they were always going to find out. Did she really believe that line she had fed them over and over, that he had been a human problem that had equally human solutions? Not that she really had an answer for that either.

Her office felt gloomier than it had in days previous. An unfortunate circumstance, but she did have just the remedy in mind. She stood up from her desk and slowly, yet deliberately, made her way outside. Even if it was just a quick walk to the Temple Square and back, it certainly would do good to keep her mind from going… a direction she dared not continue. Would it be a permanent solution? Of course not -- nothing could be -- but she had to do something. And yet, as she stepped outside, her mood soured for a different reason entirely: Taros’ and Hinder’s watchdogs were approaching, making their way right towards her.

Ah, well, Levanna thought. She put on her best face and pressed onwards. “What a pleasant coincidence! Good morning to both of you,” she said as she drew nearer. “I admit, you have caught me at an inopportune time but I can always make room. How can Galatea serve you today?” To Kitt, she added, “I assume preparations are smooth for your sword-dedication ceremony?”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Florence and the Machine song.

Pretty straightforward, actually. Just moved you to where you were both headed. Obviously you don't have to start your post with Levanna's approach if you need a little more Olive/Kitt discussion, and also obviously if you need Levanna lines, I am generally around.

Don't know what else to say, actually. Stay safe, and have fun.

Upon finally exiting the Temple of Lar, Kitt returned to the center of Galatea, the temple square. And just like Hinder's Dog had said, there he was waiting for him. Perhaps a personal and professional thief actually could be held to their word. At least...in this moment he could.

"Sorry for being late, or at least being the last one here." Kitt said, standing near Olivander, slowly crossing his arms. "I've finished with Lar's Temple on my list. Apparently the young girl I was worried about, Emily, she still seems...to be alright...for the most part. She unfortunately is at a crossroads on being unsure what she wants to do now that her parents have become stone due to the curse nor what's ahead of her..." he explained.

With a sigh, he ran a hand through his hair. "Other than that, Aiden said they'd do what they could to make sure she's still taken care of. But I gave the acolytes and Lar himself our best wishes and blessings to them upon our departure." Kitt sighed again, before shaking his head. "Regardless, I take it you've care of what needed with Lord Dia? Then, I suppose our next destination is...well, I suppose you'll be happy about visiting them just to tell them you won't have to see their sorry selves again." He of course, was referring to the religious council...which did very much include Levanna. "Shall we?"

Like Fine Wine

When Kitt returned, Olivander felt solemn. Looking around, he realized their numbers had dwindled. It was to be expected. They were Watchdogs after all. The beckoning of the gods could come at any time, changing their course and driving them elsewhere with a moment's notice. Still, he would have liked to see more Watchdogs still present. Nonetheless, he was still glad to see Kitt.

"Sorry for being late, or at least being the last one here."

"No apologies necessary," Olivander assured his compatriot.

"I've finished with Lar's Temple on my list. Apparently the young girl I was worried about, Emily, she still seems...to be alright...for the most part. She unfortunately is at a crossroads on being unsure what she wants to do now that her parents have become stone due to the curse nor what's ahead of her..."

"You've done everything you can. Her journey is in her hands now. You should be proud of the work you've done," Olivander said confidently.

"Other than that, Aiden said they'd do what they could to make sure she's still taken care of. But I gave the acolytes and Lar himself our best wishes and blessings to them upon our departure."

The acolytes. Olivander still had his reservations about them, but he would have to let them be for now. As for Aiden and Lar, Olivander was glad not to see them now. It would only get him further mixed into Galatea's never ending story.

"Regardless, I take it you've care of what needed with Lord Dia?"

Olivander only nodded.

"Then, I suppose our next destination is...well, I suppose you'll be happy about visiting them just to tell them you won't have to see their sorry selves again."

Olivander smiled. "Oh, you do know me well, Kitt. Speaking of grape vines," he said as he spotted Levanna coming out of her office, making her way to the square. She did look well. "Mind your eyes, Olivander!" he thought to himself.

“What a pleasant coincidence! Good morning to both of you,” Levanna said as she walked toward them.

"A good morning indeed--focus! Good morning, Levanna," he finally managed to speak.

“I admit, you have caught me at an inopportune time but I can always make room. How can Galatea serve you today?” she asked kindly.

"Well, I don't about Galatea, but you on the other hand--Hinder damn it! We're actually preparing to end our journey in Galatea. This will be the last time we speak for a while," Olivander answered. It was almost sad to think about leaving Galatea, considering the work they had put in. And at the same time, it was quite a relief. "Actually, since you're here, Levanna," Olivander said as he folded his arms. "I'd like to apologize. I realize my methods -- Hinder's methods -- can leave a foul taste of the mouth. I don't have the touch of subtlety when it comes to politics, I'm afraid.

I'm sure your religious council had their reasons for their actions. But Hinder," Olivander said with a sigh. "He is not a patient god. I do his bidding."

Before Levanna could get in a word, Olivander was inches from her face. "But this bidding is mine." He cheekily stole a kiss from her soft, plump lips, backing away only as he heard a guard shouting behind him. "Perhaps I will return to Galatea. Some day. But for now," he said with a shrug.

He sprang backward into a flip and bounced between two of Galatea's guardsmen, before calling out to Kitt. "I'll meet you on the ship, ol' boy!"

"Seize him!"

"Sorry gents! I love the ladies!" Olivander taunted as he sprinted away from them.

The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks

"Oh, you do know me well, Kitt. Speaking of grape vines."

Kitt was surprised that Olivander was wanting to do that, but at the same time...it didn't really surprise him all that much, considering the day prior's events. No, what did surprise him was the sudden appearance of Levanna exiting her office and making her way towards the Temple Square. He nodded slightly, approaching Levanna as it seemed that Olivander had this...look in his eye. He didn't question it though...

“What a pleasant coincidence! Good morning to both of you. I admit, you have caught me at an inopportune time but I can always make room. How can Galatea serve you today? I assume preparations are smooth for your sword-dedication ceremony?”

The Watchdog of Taros was about to say something, but was stopped suddenly by Olivander speaking...annnnnnd immediately catching the ire and wrath of the Galatean guardsman for...of all things...stealing a kiss from Levanna. Hinder's Watchdog truly was, not only a master thief, but also quite suave in his approach. He watched him flipping over the guards and just sprinting away. ...something tells me he'll be doing that for the rest of the day... Kitt thought, sighing with a shake of his head.

"Ahem...I apologize for Hinder's Watchdog there...but I suppose, he's keeping up with his patron's methods and desires...somewhat." Kitt cleared his throat, looking at Levanna. "Yes. As I was told by the ForgeKeepers, the sword-dedication ceremony will be going smooth...as well as the funeral preparations for the parents of the Briar girl."

Levanna took a moment to recover, not saying or doing much of anything besides standing there in shock. She did recover eventually, though. "Well, that is good to hear," she said, "though I did not realize Taros was in the business of funerals these days."

"We aren't...but the stony shells they have...Numuu's Watchdog asked me personally if we can do this, in order to free their souls." he explained.

"Alright, and I suppose the others will follow then? Should any more end up petrified, you have instructed this temple to take them in?"

"Correct..." Kitt nodded, crossing his arms with a sigh. "I don't want that to be the case, but if it does, it needs to be ready for the worst case scenario. ...just as long as people don't say that word...which I'm sure it does play a huge part in it. Whatever the word is."

"Well, I will be sure to send them right over, then, if they ask," Levanna said. "And this, you and Taros believe, is the root of all of Galatea's problems, then?"

"According to what we've seen during our time here...between myself, Numuu's dog and Hinder's dog." he nodded, sighing again before pulling out his notebook and showing Levanna the word that Emily spoke. "I'm not for sure, but the Briar girl said this was her mother's last words...and recently repeated it. I can't be 100% on if this is the word, but caution to you to keep others from uttering the word, just in case."

Levanna frowned. "Nuumu's dog had a similar interest in that word the other day," she said. "In fact, she came to me asking questions about it. You should be aware that even showing that word is dangerous, you understand? Though, then again, the word demands to be shared -- it can be compulsive to some -- so perhaps I cannot blame you too much."

"Then by that logic...it is the trigger word..." Kitt nodded, closing the book and immediately putting it in his satchel. "Oddly enough, no one else knows about it...so who else knows about this word and it's destructive and dangerous nature?"

"The council, obviously," Levanna said. "Of course, if you have shown this paper to anybody else, they will know it as well, though its nature is probably more foreign to them. And whoever hears it from them. Likely more people know than either of us realize."

Kitt let out a long drawn out sigh, as he shook his head. "I realize this may be for the protection of the people of Galatea, but this should be something that should be worked with...they need to know the truth on how this curse is going about. To avoid the word...but as you will most likely say: What would you have us do. To this extent, I have no answer. You will all do what you think is best for the people...and although I may not see eye to eye with it, it's still your island."

4000 Degrees Kelvin

Caleb took a deep breath and then another. Years honing his craft, months spent in preparation, at least four weeks spent in the process of actually doing, not to mention several days of delays, it all led up to this auspicious moment. And all that time wasn’t even counting the additional hours spent fixing the damage caused by the thief the day before. It still wasn’t perfect -- he was too much of a smith to not notice where his concentration had wavered, even just a little -- but it was still the finest thing he had ever crafted. Why wouldn’t he want to offer it to the god of all forges?

He took the sword from its pedestal. The moment it had been returned to the temple he had barely let it from his sight, even going so far as to take smaller rests in shifts with one of Taros’ acolytes throughout the night. That was what happened when your life’s work took an unexpected journey away from its destiny; he became rather more protective of the thing, even more so than he had been already. After all, who was to say that it wouldn’t be stolen again?

Well, the watchdog, obviously, having let the culprit off with such lenient consequences. She was to return home and what, think about what she had done? If they hadn’t been a watchdog, if their station had been any less, he might have been a whole lot more frustrated than he already got, though at least he was able to hide it well enough, he thought. In the end, he supposed, it didn’t matter, because it hadn’t been stolen again, or been lost, or vanished in any other way. It was still there, in his hands, just waiting for its ceremony.

The watchdog was on his way, someone said. In a way, Caleb was almost relieved to be done with the sword. It meant he could go back to the rest of his work, which, if the ceremony went well, would hopefully pick up in the coming weeks. He, certainly, was ready to move on.

He put the sword back on the pedestal, and moved to the entryway of the temple, looking for the final person the ceremony needed.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is from the Portal soundtrack

Another scene move, this time letting Kitt approach the Temple for the ceremony. I excercised some fiat here, moving the funerals off-screen because, well, it seemed like both just asked Kitt, if he attended, to just be making speeches and one speech seemed like enough. Hope that's okay, let me know if it's not, I guess. Either way, I left the actual mechanics of the ceremony to you -- Taros is your god, after all -- so let me know if you need any lines or if you just need help thinking of ways to actually do that.

I didn't give Olive anything because you're done with the island, running off to the boat. If you do want to write something while you wait, I was going to ask both of you to reflect on your time on the island as a whole during the in-between, so you can at least start thinking about that, though I wouldn't recommend posting it just yet. Another option would be directly receiving the vision of where you're going next. If that sounds appealing, let me know in DMs.

For both of you, I'll also try to start some discord chatter when this arc ends that'll basically be asking what did and didn't work, so look out for that when this island wraps also.

All the best,
-r

Good is Oft Interred With Their Bones

Saying his peace to Levanna, Kitt turned and exhaled slowly, already running a hand through his blonde hair. Right now...right now it was time for him to end his business with Galatea's temple to his patron...he had two things that needed to be dealt with. And as the Great Forge Maker's Watchdog, his duty was to see it through...

The funeral processions had finished, the souls of the Briar couple finally being released from their stony prisons...and it seemed like this was one less thing that was weighing on his mind. Could it be the fact that he no longer had to deal with seeing those accursed stone prisons again in which he could just see himself in? Only Kitt knew the answer to this and once he had a moment to collect his thoughts and calm his mind once more, the Watchdog re-entered the temple, seeing Caleb at the entryway, awaiting him. The Watchdog smiled, placing a hand on the man's shoulder.

"Today, the sword you crafted will be dedicated and returned back to Taros. The hard work, blood, sweat and tears you poured into your blade shall be quite the offering to the Great Forge Maker." Kitt nodded, sincerity in every word he said.

BGM

No more words needed to be said, as he moved further into the temple, making his way towards the pedestal. Around him, he could hear the sounds of hammers hitting metal as the Forgekeepers proceeded to fill the temple to their patron with the sounds of their work...as well as the sounds that seemed to become music as the time went further. In time and in unison, the hammers hitting the metal began to form a symphony that filled the forge and temple, it echoing and reverberating off the walls just to fill it fully. Kitt reached the pedestal, just as the hammering stopped at the last moment, now having the attention of all those who were in the temple to witness this moment in history.

Truth be told, this was Kitt's first sword dedication ceremony, but he remembered his time studying under his master and teacher, Flynt. While his master wasn't here, he knew one thing: Taros was overseeing everything he was doing...and thus, he knew he had everything he needed. With an exhale, the Watchdog spoke.

"Brothers and sisters in the Forge!" Kitt spoke. "Today marks a momentous occasion for all. Today, we dedicate and return a sword made by one of our own to the Lord of the Ironworks...the Great Forge Maker...the Hammer of Camnius...the Weaponsmith of Camnius...Lord Taros." he took the weapon off the pedestal and held it in front of him. "A weapon that was crafted by the one known as Caleb. Behold, his blade, who's design and image was fueled by his own imagination as is the will of Taros himself: he who's works can only be halted by his lack of imagination...that of which there is no bound. Although there was a small issue with it going missing...it was returned and without a drop of bloodshed with it."

There was rejoicing at hearing this portion, though Kitt did his best to quiet the people down. He motioned for Caleb to come forth, as he stared at the man. "Creator of this blade, your body and spirit are reflected within it's formation. You put forth your best effort and gave it life." Kitt paused as he looked at the blade further, inspecting it more. When the light hit the bladed steel just right, Kitt and only Kitt could notice a face within it's reflection...and it caused him to smile and have a peace about him: it was the face of Taros himself, who seemed pleased...if the smile on his beared face was anything to go by. "Sir, this blade has truly found favor and has caused Taros to be quite pleased with it's creation and craftsmanship. Therefore...he will accept your weapon as tribute to him, brother."

Kitt moved back some, putting the sword back in its sheath and now extending the sheathed weapon to Caleb. "In accordance with the Great Forge Maker, I as his proxy, shall accept the sword you've created and dedicated unto him. And in return...I in his stead, shall return it back to you. Brother, continue to strive to please our lord...may this blade be in your possession, to keep or to grant to another. Always remember this day and how you've made the Master of the Forge truly pleased." Once Caleb accepted this and took the sheathed weapon, everyone would hear the roars of the forge fires echo within the temple. Of course, Kitt could definitely hear something else within the roaring of the fires...laughter. A smile appeared on Kitt's face as he released the weapon, now leaving it Caleb's care. He turned towards Taros' followers and exhaled slowly, now preparing to recite the prayer: "Your steel is my body and your fire my blood...forge a pathway to understanding and cleave through uncertainty...I am the bone of your sword, you are the Master Forger. So as I pray: Great Forge Maker, Taros."

Caleb Grey of Galatea

The first thing Caleb noticed when he received his newly-blessed sword was that it didn’t feel like his sword anymore. It looked the same and had all the same properties -- weight, composition, everything like that -- but there was something intrinsically part of the sword that was now alien to him. Of course, the feeling wasn’t entirely unexpected -- no smith worth their steel could ignore the advice of those that came before -- but that just made it more notable to him. He was among them now.

Still, now he was unsure what he was supposed to do with this newly-blessed sword. A personal shrine dedicated to Taros seemed most appropriate, but that would mean actually making his own shrine. Not that that was too big a problem, just that there was more work to be done. Already designs were flowing into his head. In fact, it seemed that holding the sword boosted such creativity. Was it the blessing or his innate skill, he wondered? Another question: did it even matter?

He looked up from the sword and out into the crowd. It was thinner than he expected, but that was alright; this had been more a ceremony for him than for anybody else anyway, and the polite applause felt exactly the same as it would have coming from a crowd of two thousand. No matter the size, they were still the first to recognize this achievement, and Caleb hoped they would spread the news about the ceremony.

In fact, he was pretty sure he could count on it. “Such social creatures we are,” Caleb mumbled to himself, and stepped out, down from the altar, away from the forge, and into the crowd’s welcoming arms.

Notes from Captain Helmsley’s Logbook

I suppose my intuition that we would be departing today was correct, though even then it did not go the way I was expecting. Three of the watchdogs appeared in turn throughout the day, each with their own separate message for me. The first was Neasa, Nuumu’s dog, who informed me that she would no longer be travelling with us. I admit to not entirely following the details, something about observing a new faction of her church? A new faction of a church? Fortunately, I don’t imagine myself dealing with Nuumu for a little while yet, so I don’t imagine I need to understand it right away, and that’s if I ever need to understand it at all.

The second was Hinder’s dog, claiming to seek sanctum from some guards chasing him. Again, perhaps my theological inexperience is showing, as I am completely mystified as to what justification these hypothetical guards (I did not see them) would have to arrest a representative of the gods, but the watchdog was not telling and, to be honest, I did not ask. I did grant his request, however, for the same confusing reasons.

Last was Taros’ dog, who, after confirming everything I have just written here, announced they were ready to depart. So yes, we are down to two for the moment, barely even a pack. The crew has been preparing to set sail since the moment they heard the orders. There’s only one thing left to do now, I suppose.

He found them in the main cabin, sitting around patiently waiting for the ship to set sail. If they were talking before he entered, he missed it entirely, though he still began with “Sorry for intruding,” as he crossed the threshold into the cabin proper. “I do need to know, though, where have you been called next?”
OOC

Spoiler

Well that just about wraps up that, I hope.

So there are three major things I want to address in this OOC section:

First, the answer to Helmsley's question is "West." I would have just said that myself instead of having one of you do it but this way is a bit more flexible. How your patrons convey this heading to your characters is up to you, for example, though it is also flexible in other ways important to how I've set up the transition to the next island as well.

It also sets you in the same room for that thing I mentioned last post: reflecting on your actions on the island as a whole. If you want a more specific question to answer than that, what do you think the future holds for Galatea? You can think inwardly on it or converse with your fellow watchdog. But also like I mentioned last post, what worked in this arc and what didn't? I have some notes for myself already but I am curious how I can try to make the remaining islands better.

This also leads into my last bulletpoint: My next host post will be no earlier than December 14th as I both set up the next island and reopen app submissions, so you have an extra week of me not bothering you (don't get used to it :P).

I think that's it for now? As always, I'm around for questions you may have or lines you may need. Thanks for sticking around, and here's to another successful arc.

-r

To New Beginnings

The period between cheekily stealing a kiss from Levanna and boarding Helmsley's ship was sheer bliss. It was the best time he had had in Galatea. Despite the impressions he may or may not have left, Olivander was glad to leave Galatea behind. Though most of his attention had been on Hinder's will while he attempted to take the best course of action to aid Galatea, his thoughts now lingered on the Watchdogs that had gone so suddenly. Their once, rather prominent group had dwindled down to two souls, whose journeys and dispositions couldn't be more opposing. Even so, Olivander had come to now rely on Kitt. As he sat against a port-side window, he glanced over his shoulder at the Forge-dog. He couldn't help but silently smile and chuckle to himself. Though their values did not align, Olivander was sure he could count on Kitt... in one way or another.

He faced the clouds once more, pure silence between himself and his only companion now. This was fine. Good napping came in silence. The best napping came in silence around someone you could trust. Olivander wasn't sure he trusted Kitt yet, nor if the reverse was true, but he could still get a good nap in. At the very least, Kitt was honest. Maybe overly trusting, and naive, but he was a good kid. His personality perfectly challenged Olivander's own, and that would make them a good team. He was sure of it.

Olivander nestled his head into his arms, bracing himself against the cool glass of the window. He could feel that nap coming on. He let out a lengthy yawn, just as Captain Helmsley entered the room.

“Sorry for intruding,” the Captain said politely. “I do need to know, though, where have you been called next?”

Olivander felt a tingling run down his spine and into his hands, curling his fingers until he gently opened the port-side window. There was just enough room for him to stick his arm through and point a finger into the distance. A smile crossed his face, as Galatea settled at the back of his mind. "West, Captain."

???

BGM

Taros' will being done here in Galatea and with as much as Kitt could've done here to help, he boarded the ship and was ready to depart. Of course, those who saw the ship off could see the Watchdog of the Forge holding onto the ropes and standing near the edge of the ship, watching as the island began to get smaller and smaller in view. So many issues there...so many problems...and even the separation of quite a few other Watchdogs were remaining behind...Neasa, Amir and Finn...although the time was short between them all, Kitt wished them all the best of luck.

This left him with only one other companion: Olivander, the Watchdog of Hinder. And although the scene of him and Simon continually played in his mind, he was willing to let bygones be bygones. Both were trying to do what they could in their own patron's rights...and of course, they wouldn't see eye to eye in situations such as that. Twas only natural that this be the case. It was obvious for a few things...Olivander was a bit more of a seasoned Watchdog than he was (even though Olive was only four years older than him). While he did get taught by one of Taros' dogs, Flynt, perhaps he could also learn a bit from another fellow Watchdog in terms of how to handle certain situations. After all, learning from others and even drawing inspiration from others was a principle that even Taros himself couldn't help but follow.

However, while Olivander was seen preparing to nap, Kitt on the other hand was simply writing in his notebook. He was doing his best to chronicle his journey thus far, and he was impressed that he did as well as he could. There was, however, one thing he couldn't just keep out of his writings...that word. He glanced at the page he wrote the word down in, sighing slightly. This here...is a mystery that spanned most of Galatea...and yet, I nor my allies were able to decipher the mystery that comes with it. I fear that I may never know it's true intent until it's finally too late. he thought, flipping the page with another sigh. I'm simply the Watchdog of the Forge, not the Watchdog of Ciphers or the like...

As he thought to himself, he noticed Captain Helmsley entering the room. “Sorry for intruding,” as he crossed the threshold into the cabin proper. “I do need to know, though, where have you been called next?”

Kitt remained silent for a moment, while Olivander spoke up first about just going "West". The Watchdog of the Forge remained quiet, until he closed his eyes and breathed slowly. There was...a sensation he felt, though he couldn't immediately tell what it was at first...eventually, he realized it was Taros simply giving him a bit of reassurance, even affirming what Olive spoke. "Olivander is right...seems our patrons are in agreeance on something." he chuckled with a small smile. "West seems to be all we're given."

Gotterdammerung_Cover_2.jpg

I sing, oh Muse, as seasons pass along
As auburn streaks displace, corrupt the sky
As creatures, weak, are lain to waste by strong
As we remember: all these things must die
--Song for the End of the World, lines 5-8

Notes from Captain Helmsley’s Logbook (Prelude: Dawn)

West! West, these dogs tell me, and nothing more! Fair enough, I suppose, and far from me to question the call their respective gods have given them, but that does mean it falls to me to decide on a proper heading. Unlike our last destination, where at the very least I had a reason for being there, any further west -- while certainly not unfamiliar! -- is outside of the Swallow Tail’s usual trade routes. Smaller ships, the capillaries, handle this airspace most of the time.

It took some deliberation. Ephraim, my first mate, and some other senior members of the crew gathered with me on the bridge and we tried our best to interpret this “west” for ourselves. Fortunately, there aren’t too many islands the gods could mean here -- Galatea is pretty far west as it is -- and some of them we felt pretty confident in ruling out. Leda, for example, is technically further west on our maps but is more southward from our current position. Eventually, we settled on Corpus. It’s not the closest island, but it is the most directly west, and none of us felt qualified to make any less literal interpretations.

It has been a while since we last docked at Corpus. As I said, it is mostly smaller ships that run these routes, so it may have been on an older version of the Swallow Tail. My few and distant visits are still vivid in my memory, however, though in fairness, there is not too much to remember. It was a rather small village when I visited -- maybe three or four dozen people -- and with Mount Vermeer right there, always looming, I don’t foresee that will have changed much.

It’s just over a day of travel, we’ll likely arrive Thursday morning. If the gauges are correct, there should be fair weather. Hopefully, by including this in my log I will remember to leave a little something at the next altar to Dies I see.

Storm

Captain Helmsley tapped the glass separating him from the barometer needle. Despite the nudge, though, it still read way too high for what lay just ahead, where dark clouds gathered obscuring what he hoped was the island of Corpus just beyond.

Ephraim was just behind him. “Alec’s bones haven’t been acting up either, cap’n. Heard whispers among the crew that think somethin’s wrong. Tha’ we should’ve picked somewhere else.”

“If the gods wanted us somewhere else they should have given us better directions,” Helmsley said. And yet, he had to acknowledge the same unease everyone else seemed to have. It did suddenly feel like a gamble. He rapped his knuckle against the instruments one more time, hoping that this time the percussive maintenance might correct the readings but they did not. And the storm was only getting closer.

Helmsley sighed. “She’s a tough ship. She’s faced worse than this,” he said. “Hope the passengers don’t mind a bumpy landing.”

The first crack of thunder rang across the ship.

The precipitation wasn’t rain, as Helmsley had been expecting. No, instead it was balls of ice, most the size of pebbles which either clinked harmlessly off the deck or bounced off the balloon above. It was hail. Some of them were larger; one landed right next to Helmsley that was the size of his fist and embedded itself in the deck with a loud *CRUNCH* sound of wood splintering.

The Swallow Tail lurched, buffeted by the wind, and another fist-sized hailstone rammed into the deck. It wouldn’t be long, Helmsley thought, until something important -

“Captain!” a deckhand yelled from the stern. “The rudder, it’s -” Helmsley could tell by looking at it. The hail had mangled it bad; the metal thing mangled into an upside-down U shape. Steering surely was going to be impossible. Straight, then, was their only option, leading them deeper into the storm.

And then, in an instant, everything stopped. There was a light drizzle, but nothing dangerous. There wasn’t even a trace of wind threatening to blow anybody overboard, and the ominous clouds parted, revealing their destination.

Helmsley couldn’t help but laugh. “Ha! The gods sure are fickle today.” He turned to Ephraim. “Take care of things up here for me. I’m going to go inform our passengers what’s what.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are from the first two parts of William Tell Overture

Helmsley's line to you two is, "Nothing like a good thunderclap to get the blood moving, aye? Sorry about all the ruckus. We'll probably be limping into port, but we will be there soon. Best get yourselves ready." I would have included that in the post proper, but this seemed like a better ending point. I also didn't want to directly establish where you'd be when Helmsley finds you, whether that's in your own quarters wrestling with a disturbing dream or in the common area or even on deck holding on for dear life.

If you want some prompts to help you post, if you want more description than what Helmsley's log already provides, you can look out at Corpus now that the island's fully in view; you can help examine the damage the hailstorm has done to the ship -- maybe there's more than just the rudder gone? -- or maybe you can sense there's still a lingering sense of unease among the crew and you can talk with one of them. The actual landing is in the next post.

As always, I'm around for questions, comments, and concerns, so let me know if you need anything. Let's make this island visit a good one.

-r

Edited by radio414

To Steal, Kill, and Destroy

"You have taken much in your life time," said a booming voice over Olivander's temple. He turned on his heels to face his accuser, however, they were but a phantom. No matter which way his head weaved, there was no physical entity for Olivander to observe. Still, the voice loomed over his head. "Have you not? Thief."

Olivander scoffed, trying ever still to find the voice in the dark. "I claim that title proudly. I've never taken from someone who didn't deserve it."

"Oh? And what gives you the power to preside over such a decision?" it retorted.

"My Lord, Hinder. Ever since I was boy, he--"

"I see. Your faith, that you and a few crazed acolytes serve, gives you precedence to do as you please. How reckless."

"Hey! That is not what I--!" ?Olivander tried to refute.

"Perhaps it is time you understand what it is to have something--or rather, everything--taken from you."

There was a sudden sharp pain in the young man's chest. A squelch beneath his chin made him look down at his torso. He watched helplessly as his very heart was ripped violently from his chest, blood pooling in his chest cavity. He fell to his knees, and--

He sat up with a start. He found himself grabbing tightly to his bare chest with one hand, and to his bed with the other. There was a knock at the door, and Olivander shuddered slightly at the rapping at his door. His head was beaded heavily with sweat and he could feel his bowels being charged, desperately needing to be evacuated.

The knocking came again, prompting Olivander to reply. "Er--uh, just a second! I'll be right out!" he called. He darted to his private chamber pot and freed himself of the temporary complications. As he did so, his mind was still racing from the dream. "What in the name of Nuumu was that about?" he thought quietly. With a heavy sigh, he cleaned himself up and finally answered his door.

"Captain," Olivander said with a nod.

It was still blatantly obvious that Olivander had been startled.

"Nothing like a good thunderclap to get the blood moving, aye? Sorry about all the ruckus. We'll probably be limping into port, but we will be there soon. Best get yourselves ready," Helmsley said.

"Yeah, it got me good. Thanks for the update, Captain. I'll be ready," Olivander said, shutting his door. He braced his back against the door and slowly slid to the floor, his heart still beating out of his chest.

Foolish Thing Was But a Toy

Broken...simply broken...

These were words that Kitt could hear...but they weren't spoken...not one word was spoken. No, these were words he could feel in the pit of his stomach. He knew not what was the reason for hearing these words...but the more Kitt pushed on into this dark void he found himself in, the more he felt his body tensing up. Why was his body tensing up so much? Kitt didn't get an answer, until finally light began to flood this dark void, causing the Watchdog to shield his eyes. There...he heard them again...

Broken...simply broken...

BGM

When the overwhelming light subsided, Kitt lowered his arms some and saw himself no longer in what was once a dark void...but now it was a strange garden full of strange statues of humans. Very similar to what he saw on Galatea, except these almost resembled dolls...lifeless dolls. He felt a familiar sickness to his stomach again, before hearing another set of words, echoing around him.

Once a great creation...forged by me...yet you've come so far only to break on me. Now you've become nothing more than a worthless, lifeless doll.

These words cut Kitt deeply, and was wanting to move away from this garden of madness, but found himself unable to move. Looking down, one of these statues was now holding his ankles, looking up at him with soulless eyes. He tried to move, but then felt his arm grabbed by another...and then his other arm. The young man tried to break free, but the statue's grips were tight...deathly tight. He continued to struggle more and more, before now in front of him he could see a reflection of himself being held by these statues, but there was a difference: his reflection showed himself as nothing but a simple stone doll, cracks up and down his body and all of his individuality and features removed...nothing but a broken doll.

Suddenly the reflection sprung to life and the statue version of himself leapt forward at Kitt, his hands aiming for his throat...

The sound of thunder jolted Kitt awake, as now he sat straight up in a cold sweat. He felt sweat pouring down the sides of his face as he could even feel himself trembling greatly. Never before had he ever experienced such a dream...no...such a nightmare before. How he wished that Myria's Watchdog was here...that would've definitely helped out right now. Nevertheless, this was something that definitely was going to worry Kitt for the rest of the day...possibly.

"...your steel is my body and your fire my blood...forge a pathway to understanding and cleave through uncertainty...I am the bone of your sword, you are the Master Forger." he slowly muttered the prayer, exhaling slowly. Kitt finally left his bed, proceeding to clean himself up and even freshen up. About this time, there was a knock at his door. "One moment..." he quickly said, before tossing his jacket on and proceeding to open the door, once he made himself 100% decent.

"Nothing like a good thunderclap to get the blood moving, aye? Sorry about all the ruckus. We'll probably be limping into port, but we will be there soon. Best get yourselves ready." the captain simply said.

"Thank you, captain." Kitt nodded, before feeling they were definitely limping a bit. He closed his eyes, trying to feel for what was the issue. "Captain, would the rudder be...?" The Watchdog noticed the captain nodding, before nodding himself. "Very well, if you need assistance in repairing the rudder when we get docked, I'll happily assist."

bedroom community

He woke up that morning just the same as he did every other morning, his eyes snapping open to the sound of a bird call somewhere in the distance. After that was his morning prayer -- always the same words, always the same rhythm, just as he had been taught, not to mention the numerous trainees who had been under him. “Your steel is my body, your fire, my blood. Help me forge a pathway to understanding and cleave through uncertainty. I am the bone of your sword, you are the Master Forger.”

Facing Mount Vermeer was never compulsory, but he still did it whenever he remembered to. Was Taros’ realm not a similar molten world? It gave the prayer immediacy, he thought, narrowing the distance between him and the gods. Of course, his rational side found it a silly notion -- the gods would hear him the same no matter where on Corpus he prayed. It wasn’t like there was an altar on the island (not one devoted to Taros, anyway), or a suitable forge ready to serve as a substitute. He couldn’t sense the forge-god’s presence like he used to.

Not that that bothered him. That was how things were supposed to go. And besides, meandering on the past was not part of the schedule. No, instead he had to go check on Old Man Jones first thing, then go and keep Eilis from -

Someone was calling him from the doorway. “Headman?” It was a young voice, but more importantly, it was a surprise. He hadn’t been surprised in countless days, actually, and the shock sent him wheeling around perhaps much faster than he should have, only just managing to catch himself before going completely off-balance.

At his door was David, a young boy who, as an infant, had pulled at his beard when he had first arrived on Corpus and they had been fast friends ever since. A pleasant surprise, then. “You don’t have to call me ‘Headman,’” he said. “We’ve known each other for longer than I’ve been headman here.” He exaggerated a beard stroke. “Unless you’re telling me you’ve forgotten my name?”

“I’d never forget your name, Mister Flynt,” David said, grinning. “But you said you’d give me a coin if I saw a ship coming in and there’s a ship coming in so I thought I’d come and ask for that coin. ‘Cause there’s a ship.”

Flynt stroked his beard again, for real this time. “Now, when did I say that?” he said.

“Just yesterday when we were over by the port. You said, ‘This is important, David: you have to let me know if you see a ship coming in. There’s a coin in it for you if you do.’ Pfeifer was there too but he wasn’t there this morning so I saw it first which means I should get the coin, right?” David put on a faux old-man voice when quoting Flynt. He wasn’t that old was he?

Still, it got him grinning again, and he turned back around, heading over to beside his bed where an old, aged knapsack hung almost enshrined against the wall. He had his old tools in there -- he couldn’t bear looking at them left unused, yet he dared not discard them either. More importantly for the moment, though, were the little talismans he had stashed away in one of its many pockets, (even if it took him a moment to remember which one). He drew out one with a flourish and returned to the doorway where David stood, arm outstretched, waiting in anticipation.

He placed the talisman in David’s open palm. “Don’t lose it,” he said. “Only the gods know what will happen if you do. But let’s go see about that ship.”

soft!!!!!!

Captain Helmsley laughed a deep laugh, both at Kitt’s prescience and at his offer. “I appreciate it,” he said, “and I’ll be very glad you’re here if things get salty. But, as a rule, I don’t let the guests do the shipwork. Don’t want us mortals to become too reliant on the gods, you understand? Besides, I doubt it’ll take us longer than a day to get ‘er shaped back to something workable at least. That’s what the ship engineer tells me, anyway.”

He was about to continue rambling on, but even he stumbled as his precious Swallow Tail made its landing -- it was a bit heavier than he had been expecting. When he tried again, a familiar voice called out from the dock, “The Swallow Tail! Is Helmsley still your captain, or did the old fart finally pass on?”

That got another laugh out of Helmsley. “Who’s he calling a fart?” he said. He turned around and exited the cabin, calling down the hall to Olive as well. “Alright, you two, disembarking time. Let’s go see an old friend.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles comes from the band "glass beach" (smallcase intentional).

Flynt, obviously. Maybe that's another cardinal sin I'm committing, using a backstory character without asking. The important character trait I needed was "former watchdog" and, like, why make more when there's one right there? I thought it'd be better if there was a pre-existing relationship. It's mutable enough, though, that it can be changed if you want it to be, so let me know.

I don't have images for David or anyone else yet, though I'll let you know when I do. Pfeifer, perhaps confusingly, won't be the same. But I was already borrowing past names so, you know, I figured why not. Maybe that hits Olive the wrong way (hits the wrong way in a good way, I mean).

Speaking of Olive, I know this post mostly puts him in a "follow behind" sort of place, and I apologize for that. I didn't want to get too far off the boat. I'll have a bit more involvement next time.

Let me know if you need anything, here's to us getting through the rest of this garbage year together.

-r