radio414

Götterdämmerung [IC/PG-16/COMPLETED]

A Reunion

“I appreciate it and I’ll be very glad you’re here if things get salty. But, as a rule, I don’t let the guests do the ship work. Don’t want us mortals to become too reliant on the gods, you understand? Besides, I doubt it’ll take us longer than a day to get ‘er shaped back to something workable at least. That’s what the ship engineer tells me, anyway.”

This caused Kitt to smile, before chuckling. "A noble rule, I'll admit. Nevertheless, do know that if you need it, you have my steel." he nodded firmly, whilst also being a bit on the stumbling side of things as the ship made it's landing. ...a bit of a rough landing to say the least, but still...least we've made port. he thought.

Then he heard a voice, one that definitely resonated with him. A small smile appeared on Kitt's face, hearing the voice and felt a calming peace around him...even quite frankly given the nightmare he endured not a few moments prior. No, the voice he knew almost immediately...after all...it was his mentor's.

“The Swallow Tail! Is Helmsley still your captain, or did the old fart finally pass on?”

"Well...Taros you sly deity..." Kitt muttered, already grabbing his things, somewhat ignoring what Captain Helmsley had said. He was excited, and for good reason too. Not even a second later, Kitt was making his way down the ship's halls from his cabin, doing his best to dodge the crew, Helmsley and even Olivander himself. Soon he arrived near a window, looking over at the docks. Sure enough...it's exactly who he thought.

Kitt opened the ship's window and whistled to get the attention of the old man. "The Forge Master be praised...as I live and breathe...didn't expect to see you here of all places, Flynt!" he shouted, waving at the old man with the biggest smile on his face.

Sweet, Sweet Release

Having emptied the contents of his stomach one last time, Olivander wiped the sweat from his brow. That last bowel movement took the energy right out of him. He cleaned himself up meticulously and made his way to the main cabin, where he could already hear Captain Helmsley calling out for him.

“Alright, you two, disembarking time. Let’s go see an old friend.”

"An old friend?"

Because he had been out of earshot, Olivander didn't quite catch the conversation between this old friend and the Captain. But, as they disembarked, Olivander could hear the excitement bursting from Kitt's lungs.

"The Forge Master be praised...as I live and breathe...didn't expect to see you here of all places, Flynt!"

"Flynt?"

Turning his attention to the older gentleman standing before them, Olivander examined the tall, dirty blonde named Flynt. He was dressed in what Olivander thought was ceremonial armor. Perhaps the armor was related to Taros? And if Kitt knew Flynt, and they were both related to Taros, there was no doubt in Olivander's mind that this man was one of two people: a former acolyte or a former watchdog. Flynt obviously wasn't hostile, considering he had the courtesy to meet the passengers of the Swallow Tail at the docks, so that eased Olivander's mind some. Furthermore, Olivander was comfortable with Kitt's judgement of character, even if he was naive. Olivander would simply keep his wits about him and get to know Mr. Flynt.

Olivander sighed contently, stretching and subbing his belly. "It's good to be on solid ground."

You’ve Been Called

Of course the Swallow Tail could make it through the storm, Flynt thought. He wouldn’t have expected anything less from the ship that had once carted him around all across Naviim. But that didn’t mean he wasn’t surprised when he saw whose head it was poking out from one of the cabin windows. “Kitt? Well, isn’t that something? I haven’t seen you in, well, only the gods can remember. Get out here, now there’s definitely some celebrating to do.”

Flynt felt David, who had followed him from his hut and now was right beside him, tug on his robes. David was in that in-between of beside Flynt and behind him, using his headman as a shield from the newcomers. David didn’t say anything as Flynt looked down, but Flynt understood the question anyway. “He’s the second-best watchdog ever,” he said. “And that’s ‘cause he was taught by the best. And the ship is the ship I came in on if you can remember that, though you probably don’t. You were pretty young.”

“I’m not young now,” David mumbled.

That got a chuckle out of Flynt. “Of course you’re not,” he said. “Though all this catching up we’re about to be doing might still be a bit grown-up for you. Why don’t you go play? Pfeifer will probably be jealous of your new coin, why don’t you go show him?”

David beamed. “There’s an idea! Okay, thanks Flynt,” he said, and ran off.

When Flynt turned back around, he saw that the first off the Swallow Tail was neither of the people he’d been expecting, Instead, it was someone whose appearance did not betray their hometown in the slightest, bronzed and exotic, and yet familiar. “It’s good to be on solid ground,” they said.

Kitt was next off, having seemingly rushed from wherever he’d been on the ship, nearly out of breath as he bounded down the gangplank. “How’re you?” Flynt asked. “How’ve you been? What brings you to this fair island? Will of the gods, I assume?” He paused on that last question, though he hoped it wasn’t too obvious. “Well, we’ve got a whole day ahead of us to talk about that. I want to hear about you, first.”

Helmsley was the last off, moving significantly slower than the watchdog he had been following. He still carried himself with dignity, though, befitting his status as the captain. “Who are you calling an old fart?” Helmsley called out. “If you were actually on the ship I’d have you flogged for such a remark.”

“If I said it one of those times I was on your ship, you wouldn’t have dared,” Flynt said, grinning back. “This is your cargo, then? These two? I recognize Kitt, obviously, but why don’t you introduce me to your friend?”

“I see I don’t get the same questions,” Helmsley said, laughing. “Alright, then. Olive, this is Flynt. Used to cart him around all the time just like I’m doing to you now, though it sounds like Kitt can tell you more about him than me. Flynt, this is Olive, Hinder’s dog.”

“Hinder, huh?” Flynt said. His face got a little curious as he addressed Olive. “God of wealth and thievery, which one are you then?”

Again, he moved past the question, laughing before anyone had a chance to answer. “Well, you’re welcome here. A friend of Kitt’s is a friend of mine and all that. Let’s go back to my hut, catch up over breakfast, and then I’ll take you around a little tour, how does that sound?”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is taken from a Shabaka and the Ancestors song

Just moving things a little bit forward in the scene. To that end, I did a few things that I hope are okay. I moved Kitt off the Swallow Tail, which I assume is okay. He was headed there, in any case, and I didn't pause to let Olive introduce himself (though the "which are you?" question would have been the same, if you want him to jump in anyway).

I don't have much more to say than that. We are definitely in conversation, though, so let me know (as always) if you need any lines to help push forward.

-r

The Master and Student

“Kitt? Well, isn’t that something? I haven’t seen you in, well, only the gods can remember. Get out here, now there’s definitely some celebrating to do.”

"Understood sir!" Kitt gave out a chuckle, quite excited to see his mentor and fellow Watchdog of Taros here of all places. He pulled his head back into the cabin window and proceeded to rush out of the Swallow Tail as quick as he could, a bit out of breath needless to say...but he didn't care.

“How’re you? How’ve you been? What brings you to this fair island? Will of the gods, I assume? Well, we’ve got a whole day ahead of us to talk about that. I want to hear about you, first.”

The young man held up a hand for a moment, trying his best to catch his breath. Once he slowly stood upright from his bent over position, Kitt gave a big smile towards Flynt and immediately gave his mentor a hand shake...which did sort of devolve into a slight side hug. He knew Flynt wasn't for all the mushy mushy, so a side hug as all that was needed. "Flynt, it's so good to see you again sir." he said nodding. "Will of the gods, especially our Forge Maker. Just told us to go west and...well, guess this was where he wanted us next. But you're right...we have the whole day to talk about this. As for me specifically, I'm hanging in there..." Kitt paused, thinking for a moment about Galatea and the recent nightmare he had, but he fought that away for the time being. "Nothing that I can't handle. After all, I had great teachers and mentors."

Once he finished his general explanation, Captain Hemsley and Flynt had their exchange...and Flynt even got to give Olive a look over...

“Alright, then. Olive, this is Flynt. Used to cart him around all the time just like I’m doing to you now, though it sounds like Kitt can tell you more about him than me. Flynt, this is Olive, Hinder’s dog.”

"Well, considering he was my mentor back on Caminus...and one of Taros' finest Watchdogs, it's a wonder." Kitt said with a smile. "Aside from my father...Flynt here was the finest teacher and mentor out there. This man taught me everything I know!" High praise to his mentor, twas only right in his mind.

“Well, you’re welcome here. A friend of Kitt’s is a friend of mine and all that. Let’s go back to my hut, catch up over breakfast, and then I’ll take you around a little tour, how does that sound?”

Kitt nodded, bowing slightly. "Thank you sir. That would be helpful to us...on the way and during the meal, I can fill you in on everything that's happened thus far. I'm sure you'd be proud."

The Locals

“Alright, then. Olive, this is Flynt. Used to cart him around all the time just like I’m doing to you now, though it sounds like Kitt can tell you more about him than me. Flynt, this is Olive, Hinder’s dog.” Captain Helmsley was polite enough to introduce Olivander to Mr. Flynt, who, in turn, almost seemed skeptical of associating with a dog of Hinder's.

“Hinder, huh? God of wealth and thievery, which one are you then?” Flynt asked of Olivander.

He smirked in reply, remaining silent. "That depends on who you are and what valuables you hold, old man."

“Well, you’re welcome here. A friend of Kitt’s is a friend of mine and all that. Let’s go back to my hut, catch up over breakfast, and then I’ll take you around a little tour, how does that sound?” said the generous Flynt. Olivander was the lucky one here. Having established a connection with Helmsley and Kitt, he would be welcomed to join them for a morning meal. His thoughts would have been far more snarky if not for the overpowering rumble in his stomach.

"Sounds like a good idea, Mr. Flynt. I appreciate your hospitality," Olivander said politely.

"Thank you sir. That would be helpful to us...on the way and during the meal, I can fill you in on everything that's happened thus far. I'm sure you'd be proud."

"Everything?" Olivander thought to himself. Was Kitt more naive than he originally anticipated. "While I'm sure you both have a lot of catching up to do, are you sure you should trouble Mr. Flynt here with all of the details of our journey? I'm sure he has more pressing matters," Olivander said, trying to give Kitt clues about spilling too much. "How long has it been since you've seen each other after all? A few decades?"

Olivander wasn't actually interested in their past together. He didn't personally know Flynt, and having every bit of information about their journey divulged to a man that Kitt hadn't seen in gods only knows how long, was dangerous. And he didn't like that one bit. Still, he kept on his smile. He couldn't afford to over analyze the situation either. But right now, he was thinking of his own safety.

Edited by Comrade Duck

Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)

“A few decades!” Flynt repeated. “It hasn’t been that long, has it?” He looked at Kitt. “You’re not even that old yet, are you?”

Kitt chuckled. “I’m only twenty, don’t age me too far.”

Flynt made a show of counting on his fingers. “I suppose I must have miscounted somewhere,” he said, before looking back up. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve certainly grown since we last spoke, and that’s cause for celebration enough. Captain Helmsley, are you coming too, or are you too married to the ship to leave her like this?”

Now it was Helmsley’s turn to laugh. “You Taros folks are all alike, you know that? Though apparently, you taught the lad so that makes sense. Glad you’re doing well, Flynt, but I do need to take care of the Swallow Tail. Now that I know you’re here, though, I might stop by on my own time after this trip is done. Only thing that’d keep me away would be Mount Vermeer. Or another storm. Or…” He trailed off. The last sentence had already been mostly an afterthought, and it obviously dawned on him exactly how many counterexamples he could give.

Someone called to him from the deck of the Swallow Tail, and Helmsley used that as an excuse to step away, exiting the conversation with, “We’ll swap war stories later,” and “you two, you know where to find me.”

“He’s certainly devoted,” Flynt remarked as Helmsley left. “Well, even if we won’t get to hear about everything, I imagine we can at least talk about how I ended up here.”

Flynt relayed the story as he guided them back to his home. He wasn’t a watchdog of Taros anymore; the job was always for the young and he simply wasn’t. It was his own decision, he said. Training Kitt hadn’t been the last thing he’d done as a dog, but it had meant once the training was done he could be sure he was leaving it in good hands. But he also hadn’t wanted to completely give up stewardship. “When you do one thing for years and years, you can’t just give that up,” Flynt said. He settled on Corpus out of a sympathetic sense of duty; the village was thought of as too small and too ill-situated to keep dedicated religious counsel.

It took some doing to gain everybody’s trust, not that there were too many people to gain the trust of. “But eventually, you give enough good advice, people start taking it, and you start getting called Village Headman,” Flynt said as he beckoned them inside. “Technically, Old Man Jones is still around, but he’s been a bit under the weather recently. Keep this between us, but I think some folks are hoping he doesn’t make it, though obviously I can’t make any opinions about that.”

He quickly changed subjects. “All I can really offer for breakfast is porridge. For later meals, perhaps we can kill a pheasant and I can show you some real hospitality, but this is all I have for now. While I get that ready, tell me everything. Or --” he smirked at Olive “-- at least tell me what you can.”

Laying aside deciding exactly what out of “everything” was okay sharing, breakfast proceeded largely without incident. Near the end, though, Flynt spotted a small child hovering by the entryway. “What is it, David?” he said.

“Pfeifer stole my coin,” David said. “I was showing it to him like you said and he snatched it and now he won’t give it back.”

“Well, did you ask him nicely?”

David’s tone was like he thought he was stating the obvious. “I did.”

“I see,” Flynt said. “And I suppose you’ve come here to have me ask him nicely instead.”

“You don’t have to ask him nicely, just make him give it back!”

Flynt sighed and turned to his guests. “I suppose I ought to go deal with this,” he said. “Though, really, you two are better authorities than I now. It’s a bit silly, but you were the ones saying the gods sent you here. Maybe the gods think I’m doing something wrong. Would one of you rather?”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a Sufjan Stevens song.

It's a little quest-giver-y, and definitely low-stakes so far which I feel like are problems, especially since Galatea was like 1-2-plague, but I couldn't think of a better way to really open the door to our two protagonists here (and I'm relying a lot on the name "Pfeifer"). You can, of course, decline if you so choose, and I have some notes for any eventuality -- even if one or two of you go. There's some other stuff to respond to anyway -- now that Olive has introduced the idea of not telling everything, now you gotta decide what exactly you're telling -- so hopefully finding something to post isn't too difficult. Let me know if it is, obviously, or if you need things in general.

Here's David, by the way.

-r

Edited by radio414

A Bit of Luck, A Bit of Coin

Captain Helmsley took his leave, and Kitt and Olive were left in the company of Flynt. The former Watchdog regaled Kitt and Olivander with the story of his arrival on Corpus, and how the few townsfolk came to trust him and look to him for leadership. Flynt was certainly a charming man, that much Olivander had to admit. It was not surprise that a man with his charisma could turn up and be readily relied upon.

Olivander rubbed his chin as he examined Flynt. "I wonder if I should grow a beard..."

Taking the young Watchdogs into his home, Flynt offered them a humble breakfast of porridge. Olivander's growling stomach would not allow him to decline.

"...For later meals, perhaps we can kill a pheasant and I can show you some real hospitality, but this is all I have for now. While I get that ready, tell me everything. Or --” Flynt turned, smirking at Olivander. Olivander's cheeks lit up like roses, unable to turn his head from Flynt's gaze. “-- at least tell me what you can.”

Olivander finally picked the lock between his and Flynts eyes and laid them upon the table that was being set. "... what just happened to me?" He remained mostly quiet throughout their breakfast, only the occasional nod, barely looking up from his bowl as he devoured his porridge. Thankfully, for Olivander's sake, there came a perfect distraction as David entered the room. The boy's face was riddled with obvious concern, and so, Flynt addressed the matter quickly. And when Olivander came to learn what David was so distraught about, his face lit up again, but with more determination than before.

" ...It’s a bit silly, but you were the ones saying the gods sent you here. Maybe the gods think I’m doing something wrong. Would one of you rather?” Flynt asked politely.

Olivander stood up from his seat straight away, wiping his mouth as he did so. "I think my Lord Hinder would like me to step in here," he said with a smile. Turning to David, he got excited. "After all, who knows coin better than us?" Approaching David carefully, Olivander extended a hand. "David, my name is Olive. Is it alright if I assist you?"

David looked at Flynt with a clear question on his face even if he didn't say anything. He didn't say anything until he saw Flynt nod approvingly, and even then his response was guarded. He didn't shake Olive's hand, but he did say, "Okay..."

"Good. Now, tell me a little about your assailant. A Mr. Pfeifer, was it?"

"Pfeifer's my best friend," David said, still guarded but starting to warm up. "Or he was my best friend, I don't know if he's even a friend right now. I'm two months older than him, but, uh, he's generally the one leading all the games which is a little annoying but he's Old Man Jones' grandson so I guess he thinks he can do what he wants even though he can't."

"I see. He's a bit tough, is he?" Olivander said as he led David back outside. "Could you take me to him, please? Let's see if I can't get your coin back."

David shook his head. "He's not so tough. One time we did a race around the island and he finished, like, way after me. He just got lucky this time. I just left him at the cave, so he's probably still there." He ran ahead, only stopping occasionally to make sure Olive was keeping up.

Business as Usual

“All I can really offer for breakfast is porridge. For later meals, perhaps we can kill a pheasant and I can show you some real hospitality, but this is all I have for now. While I get that ready, tell me everything. Or -- at least tell me what you can.”

Kitt wasted no time in partaking and enjoying what was provided to him. After all, this was pretty much how he was in general. Hospitality was given to them by the host, it was only right to thank them and partake in it. While he did that, however, Olivander went off to help David. This left Kitt alone now with his mentor and Taros' oldest Watchdog, least that he knew of...or rather, ex-Watchdog.

"At the expense and general respect for my fellow Watchdog on this journey..." Kitt said, all while Flynt was still working on the food. "I'll only divulge in the general happenings with Taros and his will." This was where he wanted to keep things simple, as Olive said. Not divulge everything, but at the same time, only let it pique the interests of the former, retired Watchdog of Taros.

And so...that's what he did. Starting from the trip to Galatea, the sudden ruckus at Galatea's temple of Taros, them talking to the council and even doing a bit of investigative work...and then the sword dedication ceremony. The topics he strayed from however, was the death of Simon as well as the curse and plague that Galatea had in regards to that word...and of course...his horrid feelings when he saw the stony husk of a body that was Emily's parents. Just the thought about it sent shivers down his spine once again...and he hoped Flynt didn't notice. Perhaps in his old age...he wouldn't...it was doubtful, but maybe.

"And as far as things go, that's just about it so far." Kitt finished his explanation, noticing the old man nod slightly. "Honestly, I remembered the first ceremony you had me sit in on...I felt a different rush when I conducted it. And for my first one, I don't think it went bad at all...oh but you should've seen the blade! Definitely a weapon that Taros was proud of to say the least. Oh...enough of about me right now, what about you, Flynt? I did receive word that you retired...which really shocked me honestly."

Kids

The way David led Olive was away from the dockside village, past the farmland on the outskirts, and up Mount Vermeer. As they went along, the lead David gave himself slowly diminished, until he let himself be right next to Olive, at which point further elaboration on the situation was inevitable. “I don’t know what’s wrong with Pfeifer, actually,” David said. “If he wanted a coin like I got he should have been down by the docks looking for ships or helping Mister Peters, uh, the farmer, with chores or something. Or he could just dig out the coins he already has, it’s not like Headman Flynt hasn’t given him a bunch already. One time we had enough between us to bury a bunch out in the wilds somewhere and play pirates, but we forgot where we buried them so that game ended in a fight too. We got over that one pretty quickly, though.”

And so on. Eventually, their trek led them to a cave on the side of the mountain. “I found it so I wanted to call it ‘David’s Cave’ but Pfeifer said that was stupid so it’s just ‘The Cave’ I guess,” David said. “Anyway, if Pfeifer’s anywhere it’s probably in here.”

As if on cue, a voice similar, yet still distinct from David’s echoed out of the cave. “Oh wow, you actually went and told?”

“Yeah, that’s him,” David said. He called out into the cave, “I told you I would, Pfeifer!”

Morbid Stuff

Despite Kitt’s abridgement, Flynt still paid rapt attention through his story, trying to picture himself living vicariously through his former student. He found himself smiling, or at least grinning, by the end of it. “Even if it’s only one small part of it, it sounds like quite the tale,” he said. “That’s the glory of being a watchdog, isn’t it? Few others can exert their will in the same way we -- ah, just you, now -- in the way you can. And this doesn’t just extend to places or people but things as well. Surely you felt it when you held that sword. You became a part of its story, and it became a part of you.”

He laughed. “That’s a bit lyrical for an old dog,” Flynt said. “It’s probably a reason I stepped down, honestly. Started appreciating the job itself more than the work. But I am sorry for making you worry. I didn’t even think they’d tell you, to be honest. Retiring is a decision that comes for everybody. Maybe you later than most given the ah… circumstances of your initiation.” Another laugh. “You’re too young to be thinking about it anyway. The point is, I’m not some apostate, Kitt, and I’m not dead. So now that we’ve met again, there’s no reason to be worried.”

The conversation continued a bit further before it was interrupted by someone else showing up at Flynt’s front door: a young woman who couldn’t be much older than Kitt, though she didn’t reveal more than her head as she leaned into the frame. It was Flynt who noticed her first out of the corner of his eye, though he turned suddenly to face her once he saw her. “Yes, Eilis, what is it?”

Eilis stepped fully into the doorway, just barely not crossing the threshold. “It’s soon,” she said. “I had a dream last night and…” She trailed off, only picking up again with “and I don’t know what else to say. I know I’ve been wrong before, but…” after a few moments.

Her eyes fell on Kitt. “Oh, you have company,” she said. “I’m sorry, I’ll-”

“No, you don’t have to-” Flynt said. “Have you told the headman yet?”

“I thought it’d be better if I told you first given his condition.”

Flynt sighed. “Alright, fair enough. But we should tell him. Give me a moment and we will be right with you.”

Eilis nodded and ducked back outside while Flynt turned his attention back to Kitt. It took him a moment to register exactly what words had been said, and when he did, he laughed one more time. “If you’re thinking what I think you’re thinking, it’s not that,” he said. “But we do have to go to Old Man Jones’ house now. If it’s the same dream Eilis has had before it’d be good for him to know about it.”

He reached out for Kitt’s porridge bowl. “You’re finished with breakfast then? I would like for you to come with.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are songs by PUP

Olive: Pretty simple, just finished moving you two over to Pfeifer's location. I would have included more at the mouth of the cave but it would mostly have been more bickering. Feel free to mentally insert the appropriate childhood arguments if you want but otherwise lemme know what Pfeifer lines you want if you do want them.

Kitt: When going over Eilis' initial lines I had "illicit relationship/pregnancy" in my head, which is why "It's not what you think." I don't know if you would have caught that if I didn't say anything but too late, I guess. It's not that, obviously. Kitt would be able to tell by looking at her that she's not pregnant. I'll have an image for her (and Pfeifer also) up tomorrow Done. Anyway the way forward should be obvious, just responding to dialog.

I always feel like I'm forgetting something in these sections but things have been going well so far so maybe not. As always, I'm available if you need me.

Pfeifer || Eilis

-r

Edited by radio414

Curren$y

It didn't take long for David to warm up to Olivander. Fortunately for Olive, David was willing to divulge more information regarding his history with Pfeifer.

"...he could just dig out the coins he already has, it’s not like Headman Flynt hasn’t given him a bunch already," David explained.

Then, the situation wasn't quite what Olivander had originally thought. This wasn't some rare, treasured coin. It was common, and there were plenty to be had. That would hopefully make retrieving David's coin from Pfeifer easier.

"One time we had enough between us to bury a bunch out in the wilds somewhere and play pirates, but we forgot where we buried them so that game ended in a fight too. We got over that one pretty quickly, though.”

Olivander couldn't help but chuckle and smile. He missed the days of being a child and lacking in responsibility. He wasn't an old man yet, but he did miss being a child again. Though, not everything was easy. He began to remember having to steal to eat. To go days hungry without a helping hand. To fight stray dogs for scraps. His face began to sour, but Olivander quickly straightened his face when he heard a new voice echoing out of a cave ahead.

“Oh wow, you actually went and told?” a young man called out.

"That must be Pfeifer," Olivander said, his grin returning.

“Yeah, that’s him,” David said. He called out into the cave, “I told you I would, Pfeifer!”

"Well, let's have a chat, shall we Pfeifer?" Olivander asked as he approached the cave. "I understand you and David here had something of a spat. Is it true you took a coin from him?"

"What's it to you?" Pfeifer called back. "I've never seen you before, who are you?"

"His name's Olive," David said.

"Wasn't asking you."

"Well, Pfeifer," Olivander said taking a few more steps forward, until he could clearly see Pfeifer's face. "David has quickly become a friend of mine. And as I understand it, you boys are friends too. But taking something from your comrades doesn't seem very friendly."

"How long have you been on this island?" Pfeifer asked, retreating a little into the cave. "Anyway, I wanted it 'cause it was new and David wouldn't let me see it. He'll get it back eventually."

Olivander smiled, electing not to intrude any further. "Oh, I'm a newcomer. I've only had the pleasure of meeting David today, actually. But Pfeifer, I've something I think you might find much more interesting if you like coins," Olivander said as his eyes flickered with gold.

He showed Pfeifer his empty palm first, then flipping his hand over twice, he revealed a coin with the insignia of Hinder. It shined brightly in the light, gleaming as Olivander let it dance between his fingers. "I don't supposed I could interest you in a trade, could I?"

Pfeifer's eyes widened and he nearly started for the coin on instinct, but he managed to hold himself back. "This is a trick, isn't it? If you can make that coin appear you can make it disappear too, I bet. But we can still trade something." He held out a closed fist. "I'll give you this coin if you do something for me, how's that?"

Olivander chuckled. "Well. I certainly have a soft spot for a man who can barter with the best of them. That sounds alright Pfeifer. What can I do for you?"

Pfeifer got closer, trying to keep his voice down so David couldn't hear. "Headman Flynt's going to say a thing tonight and I know he won't let me hear it. So you gotta tell me whatever it is. A specific word. You'll know it when you hear it."

Olivander's hair stood on edge, but he managed to keep his composure. "Hmm. Seems fair enough. I can do just that, Pfeifer. So I take it then, you'll give me that coin when we next see each other? Shall we all meet back here at the cave?"

Pfeifer stared at Olive for a second, seemingly trying to judge something before giving up and smiling. "I was just gonna give David the coin back now, actually. I'm not saying I trust you to keep your end, but I think you will anyway," he said. "Meeting here's fine, though, whenever you find out."

He ran past Olive towards the mouth of the cave, where David was still standing. "Here you go David, sorry about that. I shouldn't have taken it without asking. Do you want to go play?"

David hesitated, but accepted the coin back and nodded. "Okay. Wanna go see if we can get something from Missus Miller?"

When Pfeifer said "Yeah, let's," David ran off, but Pfeifer stayed at the cave entrance a little longer, looking back at Olive, but only long enough to give a quick  nod before turning back around and giving chase.

Olivander waved to the boys as they ran off. When they were out of earshot and vision of him, his face became riddled with horror. Olivander clenched his fists and began sprinting back toward town, his mind racing. "... that word. It can't be. It can't be! I've got to get to Kitt and Flynt!"

And So Our Story Begins

“Even if it’s only one small part of it, it sounds like quite the tale. That’s the glory of being a watchdog, isn’t it? Few others can exert their will in the same way we -- ah, just you, now -- in the way you can. And this doesn’t just extend to places or people but things as well. Surely you felt it when you held that sword. You became a part of its story, and it became a part of you.”

Kitt kept eating as Flynt spoke, but once he was finished, he looked at the old dog for a moment and began to shake his head. "That's true. I felt that...maybe even more, but regardless, it's still 'we', sir. You may be retired, but you know the feelings of how Taros' will exerted itself through you. And those memories and feelings, you can't ever retire from." he encouraged his mentor with a smile.

“That’s a bit lyrical for an old dog. It’s probably a reason I stepped down, honestly. Started appreciating the job itself more than the work. But I am sorry for making you worry. I didn’t even think they’d tell you, to be honest. Retiring is a decision that comes for everybody. Maybe you later than most given the ah… circumstances of your initiation. You’re too young to be thinking about it anyway. The point is, I’m not some apostate, Kitt, and I’m not dead. So now that we’ve met again, there’s no reason to be worried.”

The young man nodded, taking in what his mentor explained to him, even chuckling some at the fact that he mentioned his own initiation into the fold of Taros. Truth be told, Kitt could still remember how shocked Flynt was when he arrived and was told by Taros on just how Kitt came to be. After all...it was unheard of for something so...insane to be done. But it was a secret that would stay between Taros and his Watchdogs.

Nevertheless, Kitt was about to say something else when a young woman stood in the doorway and then proceeded to converse with Flynt. He remained silent, just listening in to the conversation and doing what he could to process the information he was hearing. It was soon... A dream... things didn't seem to be adding up yet, but after a while, he noticed that the young woman was already leaving the two of them. Though he realized it after the fact of Flynt was laughing.

“If you’re thinking what I think you’re thinking, it’s not that. But we do have to go to Old Man Jones’ house now. If it’s the same dream Eilis has had before it’d be good for him to know about it. You’re finished with breakfast then? I would like for you to come with.”

"Whaaaaaat? Me thinking that? With a young woman like her?" Kitt had a slight devious smirk on his face, shaking his head. "Sorry to say, Flynt sir, but an old dog like you with her? I honestly couldn't see it." Flynt, from what he told Kitt, was quite the ladies man back in his heyday, but that was back in his youth. Honestly, the young man couldn't see Flynt with someone like her anyway, not for any malicious reason...just for the fact that it was kind of funny to imagine. "Regardless, what's wrong if you don't mind my asking, sir." he said, already getting himself prepared to follow his mentor.

Brigitte

Flynt laughed. “Ha! Well, maybe an innocent mind’s another thing I lost with age, then. My apologies.” He turned to Eilis, who was still standing at the doorway. “And to you, miss, for not introducing you. Eilis, this is a former protégé of mine, Kitt Axton. Kitt, Eilis is… well, what would you describe yourself as, dear? An oracle? A soothsayer?”

Eilis shrunk back into the side of the doorway. “Myria has blessed me with the occasional dream, that’s all,” she said. “I just help Grayson take care of the birds -- I’m no oracle.”

“So modest,” Flynt said, now actually getting around to taking Kitt’s and his porridge bowl. “In either case, she’s been having a rather interesting dream for a while now and while I never paid too much attention to Myria’s theology, such repetition would mean emphasis, wouldn’t it?”

“It’s only been yesterday and today,” Eilis said.

Flynt moved past that comment with barely any hesitation, however. “She can probably tell you more about the dream as we go over. Come on!”

Eilis stayed mostly behind Flynt as he guided the two towards a larger (though not by much) house situated farthest from the docks, but she did speak as requested. “My dream is about crops wilting, of famine and sick livestock, all under a bitter black snow,” she said. “That’s all it is, more a tableau, a single image, than a story. But it’s so vivid that I cannot help but remember it, even hours after waking up.”

“As followers of Taros, of course,” Flynt said, “we are more interested in the material. That does not mean we cannot tell a warning when we hear it, eh? We’re telling Old Man Jones because, like I said, despite everyone calling me headman, I’m not in charge of the village, he is. And you’re coming with because --” he smiled at this “-- I think it’ll make me look good to have a friend and student by my side.”

Flynt led everyone all the way up to the front door and didn’t even announce himself before entering. There was someone in that first room, but it was not Old Man Jones. “Good morning, Brigitte,” Flynt said. “I assume Jones is upstairs?”

Brigitte was on the older end of middle-aged, that gray area where she was probably Old Man Jones’ wife but, if Jones was really old, it wasn’t inconceivable for her to be his daughter. She cleared up that confusion soon enough, though. “My husband is surveying his domain as he always is, yes,” she said. “Also, hello, Eilis. Is Grayson still using that feed I gave him?”

“Yes m’m.” Eilis was obviously more comfortable talking to Brigitte than either Flynt or Kitt so far. “We’ll have to get the recipe when we run out, though we never seem to, or we haven’t just yet. It’s a huge help since his crops haven’t been doing so well lately.”

“Oh, sure, same with the Mills’ farm, I hear.” Brigitte said. “Well, go take care of whatever Flynt dragged you here for and I’ll have something scrounged together for you.”

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Flynt’s house was sans-Flynt and Kitt when Olive arrived back, though it was not empty. There was a man about the same age as Olive just sort of sitting, idling at the table where everyone had just eaten. He took a look at Olive and immediately said, “You were one of the people on the boat, so that means you’re probably looking for Flynt and not me.” It took him a second to realize the actual discrepancy, but he eventually got there. “I mean, this is his house, so yeah, you’re definitely looking for him. Guess that makes two of us then. I mean, unless you’d rather advise on some family squabbling. What’d you come here for, anyway?”

You Were Never Really Here

Old Man Jones, was, as Brigitte said, seated upstairs by his bedroom window. He had a waist-high cane in front of him that he leaned against even though he could have easily put his hands against the sill and barely reacted (physically, at least) when everyone came into the room. He certainly didn’t turn his head to face Flynt, even while speaking. “The answer’s still no, Flynt,” he said. “Even with a ship, even with whatever portents you’ve brought me.”

Flynt, for his part, also didn’t seem to react that strongly even when it seemed the village headman had guessed his motives besides turning back around to Kitt and Eilis. “Ah, well,” he said. “Perhaps to some I am still an outsider with foreign ideals.” He dropped his voice to a lower volume, just for Kitt. “I just don’t think people should constantly live in fear like this. Even if the world is ending, this place will surely end faster than others.”

“Pah!” Jones said. Clearly, his ears were still in fine condition despite the rest of him. “If this town disappears it is because the gods willed it, and they certainly haven’t willed it yet.”

“Mm, I apologize for taking up some of your time,” Flynt said, guiding the two back outside. “To you as well, Eilis. And to you, Kitt, you asked for what was wrong, and, well, hopefully, you have an understanding of that now.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are films directed by Lynne Ramsay

So, uh, you might have noticed that there's a bit of a length disparity between your two prompts here. Some of that is my fault for not thinking that this journey to the Jones house wouldn't take a bit of effort on my side, but also I didn't expect Pfeifer's introduction to take a single round so even though time in RPs is a guesstimate more than anything, I'm doing a bit of catching up chronologically here.

Olive: Yeah, he's the Kevin. I imagine he'll properly introduce himself if you ask, but maybe you're in a hurry and this is just a little speed bump. Engage with Kevin as much as you wish, it's up to you. That's another reason yours is a little short; Olive seems like he knows where he's going so while I did want to throw something at him maybe he just needs to be pointed in the direction they went (which Kevin can also give). Or he just needs to wait for, like, ten minutes or however long it takes for Flynt and Kitt to get back. Either way, I'll have an image up for Kevin soon.

Kitt: I would say you're coming up on discovering a good half of the scenario? Which is good since Olive is on track for the other half. Anyway, with more to react to there's probably less instruction needed on my end? Kitt asked a question, and, in a bit of a roundabout way, got an answer. What do?

Probably not going to be available tomorrow (February 3) afternoon but besides that I will, as always, be free for whatever you might need from me.

Brigitte || Kevin || Old Man Jones

-r

Edited by radio414

End of the Fucking World

When Olivander finally returned to Flynt's home, winded, the old bastard was not there. "Fuck!" he snapped, before his eyes landed on a stranger he hadn't seen before.

You were one of the people on the boat, so that means you’re probably looking for Flynt and not me.”

"Well aren't you perceptive," Olive retorted.

“I mean, this is his house, so yeah, you’re definitely looking for him. Guess that makes two of us then. I mean, unless you’d rather advise on some family squabbling. What’d you come here for, anyway?”

"I came here to keep your fucking world from crumbling. But I may be too late," Olivander replied. "I'm sorry. I--it's just, I have to find Flynt. I wasn't kidding about that whole 'world crumbling' thing. But I suppose ten more minutes won't kill anyone. I hope."

Olivander took a chair at Flynt's dining table and stared at the door, waiting. "If Flynt doesn't come straight back, I'm going to go looking for him. But, if he returns while I'm gone, please instruct him that it is urgent that he does not leave his home until I return again. I must speak with him. Past the same message to his companion, Kitt. Furthermore, please tell Kitt that the urgency has everything to do with Galatea. Hopefully, he'll know what that means."

While Olivander stared at the doorway, his mind continued to race. How did this happen so quickly? And who the devil was spreading it?

From Extreme to the Next

“Ha! Well, maybe an innocent mind’s another thing I lost with age, then. My apologies. And to you, miss, for not introducing you. Eilis, this is a former protégé of mine, Kitt Axton. Kitt, Eilis is… well, what would you describe yourself as, dear? An oracle? A soothsayer?”
“Myria has blessed me with the occasional dream, that’s all. I just help Grayson take care of the birds -- I’m no oracle.”

Kitt did have to admit one thing, this Eilis was quite a beautiful young woman. For an instant, Kitt almost felt like he was captivated by her beauty. So much so that he finally snapped back into reality after he heard the slight shuffling of Flynt grabbing the bowl in front of him. He truly hoped he wasn't too noticeable with that. Nevertheless, he cleared his throat and stood up after dusting himself off...just to look presentable.

"Well, I may not be a Watchdog of Myria, but I've traveled with one...although it was a short time." Kitt nodded with a small smile. "I'd be delighted to hear about your dream, Miss Eilis."

“My dream is about crops wilting, of famine and sick livestock, all under a bitter black snow. That’s all it is, more a tableau, a single image, than a story. But it’s so vivid that I cannot help but remember it, even hours after waking up.”

A famine and practically the describing of a plague in the form of this bitter black snow? This was something that seemed odd to him. Though it was simply an image rather than most other dreams of a story unfolding in a dream. Kitt seemed puzzled and bewildered by this, but filed it in his mind nonetheless for later.

“As followers of Taros, of course, we are more interested in the material. That does not mean we cannot tell a warning when we hear it, eh? We’re telling Old Man Jones because, like I said, despite everyone calling me headman, I’m not in charge of the village, he is. And you’re coming with because -- I think it’ll make me look good to have a friend and student by my side.”

"Hmm, just want to look good in front of the head of the village, Flynt?" Kitt teased with a small smirk, before nodding. "But you are right. It's obvious that this is a warning...a strong one at that." As for what it means...I know not...

It didn't take long for them to reach the domicile of Old Man Jones and after a quick speaking to Bridgette, the old man's wife, he was led up to the room where Jones resided. But he was seen just sitting by the window, which Kitt found odd but nonetheless, here he was...and here he resided.

“The answer’s still no, Flynt. Even with a ship, even with whatever portents you’ve brought me.”
“Ah, well. Perhaps to some I am still an outsider with foreign ideals.”

Kitt seemed confused at this point, but he heard Flynt's lowered tone as his mentor spoke directly to him. “I just don’t think people should constantly live in fear like this. Even if the world is ending, this place will surely end faster than others.” He felt a shiver run up and down his spine at this, but apparently Jones heard this...great hearing for an older man, he had to admit.

“Pah! If this town disappears it is because the gods willed it, and they certainly haven’t willed it yet.”
“Mm, I apologize for taking up some of your time. To you as well, Eilis. And to you, Kitt, you asked for what was wrong, and, well, hopefully, you have an understanding of that now.”

"...." the Watchdog was silent before finally speaking. "Just that...and what Miss Eilis mentioned about her dream...a plague or something sinister is about to befall this island, isn't it Flynt?" The look on Kitt's face seemed to don a much more serious tone as he nodded firmly. "Flynt, I need you to explain. What's been going on? No beating around the bush...I know you used to do that when you trained me, but I'm a full-fledged Watchdog of the Great Forger Maker. I NEED you to tell me."

Talking Heads

Kevin gave the new intruder into Flynt’s home a bit of a side-eye. He hoped just because they’d been babbling about the end of the world or whatever that they weren’t about to try and get Flynt’s attention immediately. He’d arrived first, after all. But then they mentioned Galatea, and that got his attention. “Is there something going on there I should know about?” he said. “‘Cause listen, and I’m sorry if you’re not really in the mood for conversation but that’s kind of what this whole thing’s about.

“I want to go, you see, and my aunt, bless her soul and I love her to death, though maybe that’s part of the problem, my aunt thinks it’s a bad idea ‘cause I’ll be leaving everyone behind right as planting season starts and if we’re gonna make it through next winter apparently it’s all hands on deck. Of course, when I point out that that means there’s never a good time to leave and go to a bigger island, someplace with more opportunity than this old rock, the argument just kind of stops there.

“It doesn’t have to be Galatea,” It was at this point Kevin realized he wasn’t letting the stranger get a word in edgewise but he also wasn’t about to stop because of it. “Galatea’s just the closest one, but if you say something’s wrong with it I could see travelling further eastward, maybe even to someplace like Caminus since I heard that’s where Flynt is from. Wherever the ship I end up commissioning will take me with what money I can scrounge up, I guess. You know, since the…

Muse

Flynt frowned. “Like I said, I can’t interpret Eilis’ dreams any better than you can, Kitt. I can only report on them as best I am able, and decide what to do afterwards. You say disaster, a plague of some kind perhaps. I don’t disagree -- I thought ‘famine’ when I first heard it.” He turned to Eilis, who was hovering near the stairs. “What did you think? When you first had this portent, I mean.”

“I don’t- when I woke up yesterday, I didn’t really know what to think outside of needing to tell someone. I guess I imagine a more destructive calamity because of the black, ashy snow, but what either of you two said makes sense too,” Eilis said.

“So that’s what’s going on,” Flynt said, “And, as best I am able, I’ve tried to find a way to continue on knowing what’s coming. You just bore witness to one such attempt to flee disaster by fleeing the island itself.” He started down the stairs. “Speaking of fleeing, I suppose we should get away from here as well, lest Jones think we’re laying siege to his fortress.”

They left Eilis with Brigitte so she could get that feed recipe, and Flynt led Kitt on the way back to his house as he continued to muse aloud. “Another option is prevention, though, of course, not knowing precisely what is coming makes things difficult. If it is a plague, well, the island isn’t exactly well equipped to deal with that right now. If it’s famine, I doubt the subsistence farming we do have will be able to build up a surplus. Worse would be if we tried to prepare for one and another problem comes roaring in.”

Flynt smiled over his shoulder. “Fortunately, as a fully-fledged watchdog of the Great Forge Maker, I imagine you’re used to rooting out an island’s problems. You know, in between all the baby-kissing and the smith-blessing.”

They continued onward back to Flynt’s house, where Kevin and Olive were waiting for them. The former was still focused on the latter, though, and seeing Kevin chattering a storm did get Flynt to smile when he saw it.

“...now that I think about it, why am i letting other people control me anyway?” Kevin said as they entered. “It’s my life, after all, not anybody else’s. Next ship -- not a watchdog ship, I don’t think I could handle that but the next one after that -- I’m hopping aboard whether the crew’ll let me or not.” He stuck his hand across the table. “Hey, thanks, you’ve been a real help, you know that?”

Whether or not Olive reciprocated the handshake, Kevin was quickly out the building, leaving the three of them alone once again. Flynt was the first to speak. “Pfeifer didn’t give you too much trouble, I hope? Well, you were here before we got back, so I assume so. That’s good -- he’s normally a sweet child, just…” The sentence trailed off as Flynt tried to find a qualifier. “Well, perhaps it’s in his blood. Then again, it does look like you have something you want to tell me.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitles are bands

Not that you should definitely go where I expect you to, but it should be pretty self-explanatory where I do expect you'll be going next. Olive was looking for Flynt, well here he is. Kitt asked Flynt some questions, and Flynt exposited some more. Kevin was more of a levity moment, sure, but one, those are important, and two, I tried to make it at least a little significant.

Think that's everything? Let me know if you have questions/need anything? Why does every sentence in this paragraph end in a question mark? Who knows?

-r

The Sound of Danger

Olivander held up a hand to stop the stranger from speaking any further. He did want to tell him about the dangers happening, but this person was also quite a chatterbox. "Friend, I mean you no ill will," Olivander said as he turned to face Flynt's guest. "But I don't believe traveling is well advised at this moment. Something is... spreading. Like a plague or virus. Galatea was over taken by it and we only just managed to get things back under control there," Olivander said with a huff.

"If you value your life, I suggest you remain home with your dearest aunt. It's the only sure place that you'll be safe."

The Sound of Silence

When Flynt returned, he spoke directly to Olivander. But for some reason, Olivander couldn't hear him. The words Flynt was speaking did not register in his head. Rather, he had to tell Flynt was happening. He had to stop whatever was to come before it consumed their fair island.

" ...it does look like you have something you want to tell me.”

Olivander jumped to his feet, scraping his chair against the floor as he did so. "It's here. Galatea's horror has followed us. You, your people-- no. The world is in danger. And right now we have to contain it until we find a solution." Olivander turned his wide eyes to Kitt.

"Someone here knows about that word. Due to some information from young Pfeifer -- sweet boy, by the way -- I can confirm that its something that no one should hear. And Flynt was to give a speech soon to the townsfolk where he would have unknowingly killed them all."

Mass Destruction & Mass Corruption

“Like I said, I can’t interpret Eilis’ dreams any better than you can, Kitt. I can only report on them as best I am able, and decide what to do afterwards. You say disaster, a plague of some kind perhaps. I don’t disagree -- I thought ‘famine’ when I first heard it.”

The young Watchdog kept quiet, this was something he wasn't sure of to make of any of this. All of this put him in a manner where he couldn't feel any inkling of good vibes from this. Nevertheless, from once there was a trio there now was only him and Flynt as they left Eilis with Ms. Bridgette, which might've been for the best if Kitt was thinking. There, his mentor continued his musings...

“Another option is prevention, though, of course, not knowing precisely what is coming makes things difficult. If it is a plague, well, the island isn’t exactly well equipped to deal with that right now. If it’s famine, I doubt the subsistence farming we do have will be able to build up a surplus. Worse would be if we tried to prepare for one and another problem comes roaring in.”

"It's almost like an unwinnable  situation here..." Kitt muttered, crossing his arms slightly. "We'd need to know what coming to even worry about this situation in full...but we're simply followers of Taros. Ciphers and dreams and those in between...they aren't our expertise. I'm just not sure..."

“Fortunately, as a fully-fledged watchdog of the Great Forge Maker, I imagine you’re used to rooting out an island’s problems. You know, in between all the baby-kissing and the smith-blessing.”

Kitt looked over at Flynt, only letting out a small chuckle. "...yeah...but like I came to the realization before: I'm the Watchdog of Taros, not one that deals with ciphers...nor am I Myria's...so truly figuring out an island's problems at the root is harder for another such as I. And you know that better than I do, Flynt." Now it was his turn to do some musings... "That said...what bothers me is the fact that the older gentleman back there didn't seem fazed one bit about this whole issue. I understand, during my time with one of Nuumu's dogs, that there's a time for everyone to join the afterlife...but some don't just resign themselves to that fate...some at least do what they can to fight through things until the moment of their passing."

His hand now was brought up to his chin, pondering things. "Then again, he's got a strong bit of faith to end up saying that the gods haven't resigned this island to a terrible fate, so if that's the case...perhaps he's correct in this assessment? That this island isn't to fall...and if this is the case, perhaps Eilis' dream is for something else and we're not seeing the bigger picture? Maybe it's something to befall someone around her? Family perhaps?" A heavy sigh was escaping the Watchdog's lips, before he shook his head. "There's just too many variables that aren't available to us at the moment...so figuring out what this warning is for can't come easily."

By the time his musing was pretty much complete, Kitt and Flynt arrived back at his lodgings...and there Olivander was waiting...

The Souls are Sufferin' Men

"Then again, it does look like you have something you want to tell me.”

"It's here. Galatea's horror has followed us. You, your people-- no. The world is in danger. And right now we have to contain it until we find a solution. Someone here knows about that word. Due to some information from young Pfeifer -- sweet boy, by the way -- I can confirm that its something that no one should hear. And Flynt was to give a speech soon to the townsfolk where he would have unknowingly killed them all."

Kitt seemed to feel his world grow slow at hearing what Olive said to him, almost blinking like a deer staring down a hunter. He could feel his hair stand up on end at this general thought, even feeling the chills running up and down his spine. He glanced over towards Flynt for a moment, staring at his mentor for a while, before exhaling and slowly closing his eyes. He searched for something within himself for a moment...a feeling.

He lulled what Hinder's Watchdog spoke to him, that Flynt knew the word from Galatea...and he searched within himself for that feeling. A soul stirring feeling that would prove that these words rang true. But no such confirmation came immediately or even at all. The young man opened his eyes before shaking his head, looking serious at Olive. "Olive...I don't believe that's the case." he said, putting his hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat fast but he exhaled again to try and drop his heart rate down back to normal. "Flynt has never shown malicious intent to me or anyone in all the years of service to Taros, I know this for a fact. I don't sense any stirrings in my spirit that make an agreement with what you've said there..."

Kitt spoke with a strong conviction, lowering his hand from his chest as he continued. "There's something else going on here on this island...and I don't think it's the same horror that we witnessed on Galatea." he explained. "There's a young girl who Myria's been blessing with dreams of stagnant images...depicting what she and Flynt are assuming is a plague or a famine. I fear something is about to hit this...and I don't think it's the horror...because we both know exactly what the signs of that word are..." He moved over towards Olive, getting right up next to him and whispered to his companion. "...and I've yet to see anyone in a 'stone garden', if you catch my drift."

Once this done, he backed away before looking over at Flynt and had such a strong and serious look in his eyes. "...however...wise words have said before...out of the mouth of babes...there's also no reason a child would lie about something like this." Kitt's eyes rattled slightly in the process. "Flynt...if what Olive is saying is correct, what were you going to tell the townsfolk?"

I Can’t Give Everything Away

If Flynt was bothered by the questions and accusations thrust his way, he certainly didn’t seem to show it. In fact, he seemed more bemused than anything. “Ah, if only I had heard more about your adventures on Galatea sooner,” he teased. “Alright. Kitt, you should probably sit down too. Let me get everyone some water and we can all pray to not be interrupted these next few moments.”

He did just as he said, allowing the two dogs a moment together without him, but it was only a brief one; he quickly returned and took the seat next to Kitt, across from Olive, passing them each their own cup before taking a drink from his own. “If I can offer my own guess as to what you have experienced, and what you think is going on on my- on this island as well, I would say you have encountered a word of power and witnessed its misuse. I can understand your hesitation to tell me such things -- that’s good. Those of lesser will, even other watchdogs, might have failed there. I will do you the courtesy of not prying further, lest some unfortunate syllables slip from your mouths. That being said, I would answer questions you might have about them; I know a little more than most.”

Before either of them could respond, Flynt changed tacks. “However, because of something Pfeifer said, you think a similar phenomenon is happening here,” he said, leaning back in his seat. “If I was to continue that earlier thought, I would say he’s a sweet child, if a bit stubborn and occasionally misguided. I don’t know what he said to make you think I was giving a speech tonight, but that surely came from those latter attributes. Not a direct lie, of course, but listen to this:

“I was never planning a speech tonight,” Flynt said. “I have one planned for if Old Man Jones finally relents, including a prayer to Dies to let that storm surrounding the island finally pass that I am particularly proud of, but, as you have witnessed, Kitt, I do not believe that to be happening anytime soon. Tonight I was planning to spend in the comfort of my own home, after seeing honored guests on their way, provided Helmsley gets that wreck of a boat fixed in time.” Though he tried to hold it back, he chuckled at that last bit.

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is a bit on the nose but it's a David Bowie song so fight me.

"Hey radio you really seem to like giving separate PCs different pieces of information, watching them draw their own conclusions, and then denying all of them" yeah well don't kinkshame. I admit it, obviously, but at the same time here's a hint and a peek behind the curtain: the most deception I've allowed any character, especially when they're answering direct questions, is omission.

It's a short post, but there are a few crumbs I suppose in addition to answering the big questions you've asked already. Not like it was ever going to be longer, of course. You're both in the same room and the scenery hasn't changed. All there is is Flynt's response, and you can play off that how you like. If you want to move faster or slower, feel free to work with each other or with me, as always.

Be rootin'
Be tootin'
Be shootin'
But above all, be kind.

-r

Crisis Not Quite Averted

"There's something else going on here on this island...and I don't think it's the same horror that we witnessed on Galatea," Kitt explained.

That didn't exactly ease Olivander's mind. All it did was make him more anxious about the threat possibly being unknown entirely.

"...and I've yet to see anyone in a 'stone garden', if you catch my drift."

"Bit on the nose, but yes, I understand," Olivander replied.

"Flynt...if what Olive is saying is correct, what were you going to tell the townsfolk?"

Well, as Kitt mentioned, there was no reason for Pfeifer to lie. But, what if there was more than one threat? What if things were not as they seemed? All of this guessing was making things much more stressful. Olivander was very on edge, and easily agitated at this point. Thankfully, the handsome Flynt was there to soothe him and shed some light on the subject.

“If I can offer my own guess as to what you have experienced, and what you think is going on on my- on this island as well, I would say you have encountered a word of power and witnessed its misuse. I can understand your hesitation to tell me such things -- that’s good. Those of lesser will, even other watchdogs, might have failed there. I will do you the courtesy of not prying further, lest some unfortunate syllables slip from your mouths. That being said, I would answer questions you might have about them; I know a little more than most.”

From Olivander's perspective, Flynt seemed to be quite stalwart. He was confident in his place on this island, which was only boasted by the way that the townsfolk addressed and referred to him. Or was Olivander just lost in his charm and good looks? They weren't mutually exclusive...

“I was never planning a speech tonight,” Flynt explained. “I have one planned for if Old Man Jones finally relents, including a prayer to Dies to let that storm surrounding the island finally pass that I am particularly proud of, but, as you have witnessed, Kitt, I do not believe that to be happening anytime soon. Tonight I was planning to spend in the comfort of my own home, after seeing honored guests on their way, provided Helmsley gets that wreck of a boat fixed in time.”

Olivander folded his arms. Something about that last line didn't quite sit right with him, but he tried his best to keep his composure. "Seeing us off so soon? Why the rush, Master Flynt? Surely we aren't causing you any harm with our presence here," Olivander said as he sipped his water.

Who Gon' Pray for Me?

“If I can offer my own guess as to what you have experienced, and what you think is going on on my- on this island as well, I would say you have encountered a word of power and witnessed its misuse. I can understand your hesitation to tell me such things -- that’s good. Those of lesser will, even other watchdogs, might have failed there. I will do you the courtesy of not prying further, lest some unfortunate syllables slip from your mouths. That being said, I would answer questions you might have about them; I know a little more than most."

Kitt, fastened in his seat, had his knee slowly but steadily bouncing up and down in quite the nervous manner. He felt...uneasy, but was it generally the fact that he was afraid his master...his mentor...might be in some sort of trouble or causing a bit of trouble here? Honestly he couldn't tell, and Taros seemed to not want to give him any answers at the present.

Guess he was generally flying solo on this...

“However, because of something Pfeifer said, you think a similar phenomenon is happening here. If I was to continue that earlier thought, I would say he’s a sweet child, if a bit stubborn and occasionally misguided. I don’t know what he said to make you think I was giving a speech tonight, but that surely came from those latter attributes. Not a direct lie, of course, but listen to this: I was never planning a speech tonight. I have one planned for if Old Man Jones finally relents, including a prayer to Dies to let that storm surrounding the island finally pass that I am particularly proud of, but, as you have witnessed, Kitt, I do not believe that to be happening anytime soon. Tonight I was planning to spend in the comfort of my own home, after seeing honored guests on their way, provided Helmsley gets that wreck of a boat fixed in time.”

Kitt listened intently to Flynt, trying to get a read on his mentor...but then again...that was something he never was good with: reading Flynt. Others he could with a bit of poking and prodding and even observation. But Flynt? Taros' top Watchdog for a good period of his life? ...that was something he couldn't do properly. It might've been the fact that he lived around the islands a bit that he could easily conceal his true intentions, thoughts and emotions from being displayed through facial expressions or body movements, but he was always able to read the young man instead...and for the life of him, Kitt wanted and tried to learn this skill...but to no avail.

"Seeing us off so soon? Why the rush, Master Flynt? Surely we aren't causing you any harm with our presence here."

He was knocked out of his train of thought, hearing Olivander speak out, before he proceeded to exhale sharply. "Flynt...you know we can't just leave..." Kitt finally spoke up. "We, as Watchdogs, won't leave until we're prompted by our patrons to continue westward. And at the present...Taros has been silent on that front. But if there was no speech, according to what Olive heard from Pfeifer, and it was just a prayer to the goddess of the skies, then there should not be a reason why we need to be ushered off."

His eyes now were fixated on the older gentleman, before exhaling and tossing him the notebook he had been writing in since the start of his journey. "There was indeed something we encountered there...I wrote things down." he said, before holding a hand up. "The very back of the book, I wrote the word down...but as you said and as it was explained to me by one of the religious council on Galatea...even showing the word is dangerous...so I'll thank you not to look at the trigger word. Something tells me you should be able to figure out what it is just given the information I documented." Kitt crossed his arms and looked at Olivander, speaking to where only he could hear. "I know we planned on not telling him too much about this...but at the same time...this is...as you and your patron would say, my bargaining chip." he glanced back towards Flynt. "I'm making a gamble myself...and if he truly has nothing to hide, then my mentor should be able to clear things up. Whatever happens...I'm prepared to take the responsibility for it..."

Was he really though? What honestly possessed Kitt into saying that? Was it pride or genuine trust of Flynt? ...or was it just genuine hope and desperation that his worst fear of Flynt doing something nefarious wouldn't come to light. Then again...Flynt was the only other one to know about him...about the truth of Kitt. Perhaps he also could shed light on what was presented on Galatea and even his strange nightmare he had the night prior into this morning.

The Book of Kitt

Flynt did not waver, even as he casually brushed off the question. “I said it was wishful thinking, didn’t I? Perhaps I was too sympathetic to Helmsley’s quandary and ignored your concerns. This is what happens when you don’t tell me things, you know. I get confused. You are, of course, welcome to spend the night here if that is your wish.”

With that matter settled -- or, at least, settled according to Flynt, anyway -- Flynt turned his attention to the texts Kitt had laid out on the table. “Ah, so perhaps there is still that compulsion in you to share,” he said after Kitt warned him away from the back cover. “But I’m glad you trust my eyes not to wander where they don’t belong. Let’s see now…”

He was a quick reader, more scanning the page than going deep into individual words, soon rejoining the conversation. “Well, it looks like my earlier assessment was correct, you did indeed come across a word of power along your travels. Do not worry, I could not divine it from your notes here -- it is not something I have come across before, and these things are almost impossible to guess, you understand. However, there was an interesting piece of terminology I noticed you using occasionally in here:” -- Flynt pointed to where it was on the page -- “‘Ancient language’ is correct, and certainly the simplest form, the easiest to explain, but if you believe you’re going to keep encountering these like, say, a 'fully-fledged watchdog' might, you should probably know what these words of power really are.

“While we are here, we should probably give thanks to a Codex dog whose name is now lost to time for even passing on this much,” Flynt said. “But these words of power are the language of the gods. The language of creation, from which Naviim was wrought. You can imagine why any word from such a language not given proper care would be dangerous. Much more theology has been done since, of course, but to avoid a lecture- well, even more of a lecture, I will simply add this before letting you continue as you like: their appearance on this plane, some argue, is a signal of the gods’ waning influence. Götterdämmerung, they say. The twilight of the gods.”

OOC

Spoiler

Is that too cute? It's probably too cute. But I wanted to do it and you can't (easily) stop me, so neener neener neener.

Anyway, I know I spent more time responding to Kitt's question rather than Olive's, but I also figured that "giving an answer and than moving past it" was a perfectly suspicious cover-up to a caught slip of the tongue, and I wanted to get some more exposition out. Pretty standard otherwise, you're still in conversation, after all, with both Flynt and with each other.

A bit of housekeeping, I'm out of NPC interjections, so after this conversation ends it's on you to either go to various NPCs yourself or timeskip to later. Not saying the conversation has to end soon if you both are still getting things out of it, but I did want to bring that up sooner rather than later, before I forget.

Keep on keeping on,

-r

Marching Order

"I know we planned on not telling him too much about this...but at the same time...this is...as you and your patron would say, my bargaining chip."

Olivander sighed softly as he listened to Kitt.

"I'm making a gamble myself...and if he truly has nothing to hide, then my mentor should be able to clear things up. Whatever happens...I'm prepared to take the responsibility for it..." the Forge-dog explained.

"What you shouldn't be doing is taking a gamble at the expense of other innocent people's lives," Olivander sneered. "But I trust you." He turned his attention back to Flynt, waiting to hear his response. He appeared unfazed by the barrage of questioning, which concerned Olivander more.

“I said it was wishful thinking, didn’t I?" Flynt repeated.

"That you wish us gone makes me distrust you a lot more," Olivander thought to himself.

"This is what happens when you don’t tell me things, you know. I get confused," Flynt went on.

This only made Olivander angry. But he couldn't show it. He couldn't allow himself to get played by these deflections. There was too much at stake. He remained silent still, listening to Flynt's explanation on the history and power of this ancient language. 'Words of power', he called them.

" ...these words of power are the language of the gods. The language of creation, from which Naviim was wrought. You can imagine why any word from such a language not given proper care would be dangerous."

"I wonder. Is that because the words are not spoken by holy tongues or because the divine never meant for these words to reach the ears of men?" Olivander mused aloud.

" ...I will simply add this before letting you continue as you like: their appearance on this plane, some argue, is a signal of the gods’ waning influence. Götterdämmerung, they say. The twilight of the gods.”

"Twilight of the gods? When the world is neither most lit nor most dark. A perfect balance of some kind? But if it is the 'twilight' of the 'gods', does this mean there will be a change in the gods here in our world? Or perhaps a change in their world, where we cannot see?" Olivander asked, his lips moving faster than his mind. "This only leaves me with more questions, dammit," he swore. There were many implications to the phrase 'twilight of the gods' from Olive's perspective. But he could not make sense of them now. He would have to learn much more. Which led Olivander to his next sudden genius idea, on how to better probe the situation.

"Master Flynt," he said as he raised his head to look the older watchdog in the eye. "Since Old Man Jones, I assume, did not relent, would you care to share your speech with us? I still owe Pfeifer a 'word', and I'd like to pick your brain if you don't mind," he said with a cheeky smile, his eyes full of lust. "I don't suppose any harm could come if what you said is true. Not to mention, there's no need to allow a great speech to go to waste."

"Your move, old man," Olivander thought.

The Plot Thickens?

"What you shouldn't be doing is taking a gamble at the expense of other innocent people's lives...But I trust you."

How much Kitt wanted to tell him that from his point of view, that's all they were doing with every single move they made...whether it was with known variables or not...but like his sheathed blade, he stayed his tongue. Right now...if anything, he needed guidance from his mentor...and this was the best use of getting it.

“Ah, so perhaps there is still that compulsion in you to share. But I’m glad you trust my eyes not to wander where they don’t belong. Let’s see now…"

"You know the compulsion was something I was always working with, Flynt." Kitt said flatly, nodding some. "But I've done my best..." He let the old ex-Dog read what he could, knowing the pages and the words written on them by heart, noticing the pages he looked through. Same time, he remembered Flynt was a quick reader, so it didn't matter in the slightest to him...just so long as he didn't decide to look at the back of the book.

That's when Flynt began to spin the web and information of what these 'Ancient Language' and 'words of power' were truly...and it was something that Kitt didn't expect to hear. These words of power were that of the language of the gods...these very words wrought Naviim into existence...it truly floored the Watchdog of Taros.

"You can imagine why any word from such a language not given proper care would be dangerous. Much more theology has been done since, of course, but to avoid a lecture- well, even more of a lecture, I will simply add this before letting you continue as you like: their appearance on this plane, some argue, is a signal of the gods’ waning influence. Götterdämmerung, they say. The twilight of the gods.

"The twilight...of the gods...?" Kitt muttered, crossing his arms as he leaned back in his chair. He lulled the word and this phrase in his mind for a while...but this was something he never anticipated to ever hear...hell, this was something he didn't ever expect in the slightest. A waning influence? Then again...

"Twilight of the gods? When the world is neither most lit nor most dark. A perfect balance of some kind? But if it is the 'twilight' of the 'gods', does this mean there will be a change in the gods here in our world? Or perhaps a change in their world, where we cannot see? "This only leaves me with more questions, dammit,"

Kitt put his hand to his chin, before looking at Olivander. "A waning influence would make sense...although it pains me to admit it. Namely after my talks with Lars' priest...some weren't going to the temple to offer their offerings and praise to the god of the hearth...rather doing it from their homes out of convenience, so to speak. Couple that with the issue with water issue there from Dia...along with...the religious council seeming to do jack all...even with the oblivion cult running around and the fact they knew the word but are keeping it under lock and key, so to speak." The young man looked over at Flynt, sighing. "Honestly...if this is true, what you speak master, then...perhaps this is why we're being sent on this pilgrimage and this mission...to try and put faith in the gods back into the hearts of humanity...then again...perhaps this assessment is just wishful thinking."

"Master Flynt, since Old Man Jones, I assume, did not relent, would you care to share your speech with us? I still owe Pfeifer a 'word', and I'd like to pick your brain if you don't mind. I don't suppose any harm could come if what you said is true. Not to mention, there's no need to allow a great speech to go to waste."

He wasn't sure what Olivander was planning with this, but he let Hinder's Watchdog do what he was going to do...after all, his conniving ways could give him answers on if Flynt truly up to anything nefarious...

The Three of Us

Flynt frowned upon hearing Olive’s interpretation of the word “twilight” and was about to correct him when Kitt spoke up instead, again revealing information regarding their experiences on Galatea Flynt would have missed otherwise. “Not bad. You’re close,” Flynt said when Kitt was finished. “At least, closer than the ‘balance between light and dark’ idea. I believe when people refer to ‘twilight’ in this case, they’re more worried about the sun continuing to set. Remember what happened to Medeis? To her domain? The fear is that the same will happen to Lar, to Dia, to any other god.”

He paused to take another drink of water. “Again, this is just a theory. Who knows what the future holds? Maybe this language has simply spread under our noses.”

And then came time for the big question. “Would you share your speech with us?” Olive said. “I still owe Pfeifer ‘a word,’ and I’d like to pick your brain, if you don’t mind.”

“Ahh, so that’s what this is about,” Flynt said. “Well, I suppose it can’t be helped, then.” He pushed away from the table and stood up. “I believe any good speech should be performed on one’s feet, don’t you?”

There was no hesitation; Flynt began right away. “Good afternoon, everyone -- I’m assuming it would be afternoon by the time I got through to Jones here, though the time doesn’t really matter -- ah, good afternoon, everyone. My apologies for disrupting your daily routines for this, especially since they will likely continue to be disrupted even after I am finished. Still, I should get to the point: I and a few others among you have determined a calamity will soon strike this island we call home, and we fear the worst. Personally, I fear it will be the destruction of the entire island.

“But do not panic! Instead, praise the gods that we were so fortunate, that we might be forewarned. Prevention is not possible without knowing the threat, but Corpus can still survive! Corpus can still survive within us! Headman Jones has backed me on this, as soon as we are able, we will commission a merchant ship to take us wherever it is safe to go.

“There is one final matter I will address: the storm. And to that, I can only offer this simple prayer. You may know I was a dog of Taros, so praying to Dies in such a time of need is a little outside my oeuvre, but I believe I can still manage this:

“Dies, Our Lady of the Sky, listen!
To what your humble servants seek of you
We ask for safest travels far and wide
We ask for storms to let us safely through 
And in return, we offer this -- our faith
We pledge that we will be your servants too”

When Flynt finished, everyone could hear the low rumble of distant thunder. “I am open to notes,” Flynt said. “After all, I would only get one chance at such a moment, and it does have to be perfect. I do not know what word you will take from this to offer Pfeifer, but you may take any that you wish.”

OOC

Spoiler

Subtitle is the title of a Streetlight Manifesto song because sometimes you just need some ska punk in your life, you know?

Still in the conversation. I realize it's been a long one, but you two seem to be enjoying it. I wonder if this is needle enough for Olive (though I admit I do take a bit of pleasure in needling him). Kitt also got a bit of mentor affirmation, if you notice, so good on him.

Remember my housekeeping note from last time, but I think that's it? Dang these ones when everyone's in the same room are super short. That's probably a good thing, though. If I remember something else, there's always Discord, I guess.

-r

So Literal

"Well that speech certainly stirred Lord Dies. Though I can never tell when she's enthused or annoyed," Olivander replied to Flynt's speech.

“I am open to notes,” Flynt added.

Olivander only shrugged. "I've only written speeches for myself when I've broken the wealth of a monarch. So I can't say I would have much to lend to you," he joked.

" ...I do not know what word you will take from this to offer Pfeifer, but you may take any that you wish,” Flynt said.

Olivander nodded. "I know what I'm going to give him. In the meantime, I'm going to do some investigating of my own. If Corpus is destined to crumble because its people do not practice faith, then there has to be a reason as to why. I'd like to discover what is keeping them from offering a proper prayer. I'll start with the closest altar." Olivander gave Kitt a heavy pat on the back in approval as he stepped away, then he lay a gentle hand on Flynt's strong shoulders as he passed him by. "Gentlemen. I hope to have some news for you soon," he said, stopping in the doorway. With a cheeky bow, Olivander disappeared out of the doorway and made his way to the town center.

Praise Be

When Olivander arrived in the town center, he was appalled by what he saw. It was no wonder there was a lack of faith in Corpus, because there was not a temple in sight. A single altar sat in the middle of the village with a roof over it. Besides that, there was no evidence that there was any real effort for faith practice to be had in Corpus. He couldn't hide the frown on his face. He was disappointed with Corpus, and he had only been there a day. With a sigh, he folded his arms. "This is going to take a lot of work."