LordCowCow

The Chosen [IC / Not Accepting / PG-16]

"are you going to write about me in your notes?"

Keres nodded in response. Of course she would. There was no reason not to. It wasn't lost on her that he was likely joking but it only made sense to keep track of things such as this.

Reinaan's suggestion of finding another one was also clearly a joke. Yet Keres felt like speaking up in response anyway. "There won't be another. Not near here. Roc are territorial and their territory is quite large. We'd have to go to the other side entirely if we wanted to find one."

From there they got onto the subject of the Demon Gate. The lack of finding one as well as, from their newest member, what one even was like. Keres glanced over at Geoff. Remembering his instance that he was the Chosen. She worried he'd be bothered by the conversation but he was off on his own. Having a rather animated discussion with his buffalo as it seemed.

Something came to mind as the questions were brought up. Something she had noticed but hadn't really thought about at the time.

"The nest...there were marks. Something large was there before and was moved. I think it might have been the Gate. It had to have been moved a long time ago." She said. She licked her lips and took a sip of water, her throat starting to grow sore. Pyrrha's question was a good one, of course. And she could explain it. She had been up close and personal with it after all. But all this speaking was starting to wear on her and she decided to leave it to one of the others to describe. In the meantime she silently started to clean up as people finished.

Spoiler

So, I'm able to fast travel us back to town whenever people want to. So keep me updated on that. Also yeah I forgot to put in the signs at the nest before oops.

Reinaan's mood was pretty good all things considered. Ryia's quiet acknowledgment of wanting to try different meats and Pyrrha's energetic response to the boy's passing comment about the Roc meat were only aiding in this. Though he had to wonder if Keres knew what a joke was as she began explaining the behavior of Rocs. It was an interesting fact to be sure that the birds were so territorial. But she did know he wasn't seriously looking to find and kill another right? He had to assume she did and just felt like explaining regardless or else it was going to bother him for a while. However, his mind didn't have too terribly long to linger on the thought as Lindow remarked that despite everything they'd done here, the whereabouts of the Demon Gate were still entirely unknown. Ever observant Keres commented that the Gate had likely been on the central platform where they had fought the Roc.

"I had just assumed the marks were from the bird's talons but I guess they were kinda off for that." the Draken inserted as he tried to recall the look of the platform when they had investigated it later. "But how could someone just move the Gate? We saw what it did to those sharks that were just near it in the desert, never mind that crazy wizard. Wouldn't you turn into some crazy monster if you touched it that long?" he asked with a puzzled look on his face. Naturally the Draken's only real considerations were physical and how he might have been able to personally move the Gate as they saw it in the desert. Soon after pondering he realized neither Keres nor himself had addressed Pyrrha who still hadn't actually seen a Demon Gate herself.

"So these things are pretty dark, like obsidian or something though not as shiny." he began the less than expert explanation using what materials he was familiar with as reference. "They got these pillars like twice my height and look like they have horns at the top. In the middle there's this little glass-like ball with a lot of crazy looking stuff swirling in it." Reinaan continued while making obscure hand motions like he could somehow make his description materialize more clearly. "But more than anything, you'll know the gate by looking at them. You'll feel all messed up inside. Like a mix of the worst feelings you've ever felt. We were okay because we destroyed it before too long but it can change living things into horrible looking monsters." he continued as he then described the bizarre appearance of the twin headed sand sharks that were able to launch their head forward by extending the bones of their neck. The draken then added in how to destroy them by having your spirit enter it and described how Flux had done so to the first Gate. "So yeah, it's not something you could just up and move." he concluded after reviewing all the details in the process of explaining it to the elf girl.

Edited by Doggo

Ryia grimaced as the topic came back to the demon gates, the girl remembering that even with the roc defeated and their task complete, they were still a far away from actually completing what they had come here to begin with. That and the topic itself was not a pleasant one. As Keres had described her findings and Reinaan had described what the gates actually were to the elf girl, Ryia thought on it for a moment. "Well, um, the last gate we found. That one was also on a large stone pillar right?" The girl thought aloud. An uneasy expression crossed her face as she said, "and the last one also had someone who wasn't...normal guarding it." Looking to Pyrrha, Ryia continued. "There was a really powerful mage there, and well. He was pretty...monstrous, and not really that uh, sane. Either." Looking to the others she said, "do you think there's someone else residing over this one too?" 

Lindow couldn't help but snicker at the impromptu crash course that Reinaan gave about the gates and their effects. He's eating and had slowed down considerable now, and by the time Ryia addressed the group, the Thunder was slumped backwards with his hand resting on his stomach. "Most definitely." Lindow was the first to respond to the girls question. Peering into the crackling embers of the fire, he recounted their fierce clash with the fire elemental with a dreamy smirk. "Judging from what we know so far, I'd say it's safe to assume that our enemies are mages like the man on fire. No normal ilk would have the faculties to be near the gate for long periods of time, let alone move it or harness its power." Though he didn't feel the need to mention it, Lindow could feel his suspicion for the council growing larger yet again. "By the way he was speaking, I don't think they're completely immune the demon realm's effects either... " He glanced and Reinaan and tickled the air as if he were sprinkling fairy dust at the boy. "With that in mind, it's likely that not all the members of this... organization will be so eager to confront us directly like he did. Heck, if I were tasked with tending to one of these things, I'd be more inclined to use some kind of creature or maybe even a natural deterrent of sorts." Lindow brought his hand up to his lip as he toyed with the idea for a moment. "I think we should look into the island that villagers seem so weary of... it almost too perfect not to provide any leads."

"But how could someone just move the Gate? We saw what it did to those sharks that were just near it in the desert, never mind that crazy wizard. Wouldn't you turn into some crazy monster if you touched it that long?"

"Judging from what we know so far, I'd say it's safe to assume that our enemies are mages like the man on fire. No normal ilk would have the faculties to be near the gate for long periods of time, let alone move it or harness its power."

Keres was busy writing down notes as the others discussed the matter. Something about the direction of the conversation bothered her though. "I don't think he...was part of a group." The journals and notes that they had found made her think he was a lone mage. One that was paranoid about the Council and thought hiding out in the desert would protect him from...something.

"It could have been moved long ago...it would have been easily seen in the open...maybe underground?" How it got there she still wasn't sure but it made more sense than being in a field somewhere.

"I think we should look into the island that villagers seem so weary of... it almost too perfect not to provide any leads."

"Would take a long time. Have to be sure...not here first." From the maps she had seen it could take up to a week to travel to the lake. If it wasn't there and they spent all that time...But then again where else could they check on this side of the land?

In the end she thought at least it would be best to first return to Myyrka before deciding anything for sure.

And so once everyone had said their piece and they realized it was getting dark they decided to rest for the night. First thing in the morning they set out to head back to the city they had come from.

---

Myyrka seemed much the same as they had left it. If anything it seemed slightly less bustling than before. The town guard recognized them and there was no trouble getting back in. Soon after going through the city however someone came up to them, specifically Geoff, and inquired about his lost dog.

Geoff slapped his forehead. "Aye, I still have to find the rascal." He turned to the others. "It is time for me to depart. I still have much to do. I won't be gone from the city long though. We should go on another quest together soon! Just say the word and I will be battling beasties alongside you again! But for now I must go see a man about a dog, farewell!"

With that he hopped onto his buffalo and rode off into the distance.

"So...someone needs to bring this back to the woman." Keres said, holding up the pendant. "And, maybe we should see where Damien went...make sure he didn't make himself sick."

Spoiler

Back to base...essentially. So now figure out what you guys wanna do in town and I can provide info as usual.

Also yeah if you wanted to discuss things more IC sorry but if you want to at least figure out what your characters think in the chat or something that'd be good.

Oh and for now Geoff is out of the party. For how long? Only time will tell.

But also Yui I do want to see Pyrrah's response IC since you missed this week :T

Hv8FblW.png

"But how could someone just move the Gate? We saw what it did to those sharks that were just near it in the desert, never mind that crazy wizard. Wouldn't you turn into some crazy monster if you touched it that long?"

"Judging from what we know so far, I'd say it's safe to assume that our enemies are mages like the man on fire. No normal ilk would have the faculties to be near the gate for long periods of time, let alone move it or harness its power."

"I don't think he...was part of a group. It could have been moved long ago...it would have been easily seen in the open...maybe underground?"

"I think we should look into the island that villagers seem so weary of... it almost too perfect not to provide any leads."

"Would take a long time. Have to be sure...not here first."

Something about that didn't really click with Pyrrha. It would take a while to go check out the island of course, but on the flip side of that same coin... "But if we took all that time checking around here just for it to be on the island, wouldn't we still have wasted that much time?" That was how she felt about it anyway. She wasn't exactly a Gate-hunting expert, of course, but doing A when B was the answer wasn't much different than doing B when A was the answer, was it? You'd still be doing both either way. And frankly, Pyrrha didn't like the coin-flip nature of what the consensus on this Gate seemed to be.

Well, either they found it somewhere not on the lake, or they found it on the lake. Time was of the essence, but rushing it would lead to a sloppy job.

Back in town, things were a bit less busy than last time they were here. And it seemed that Geoff still had that checklist of many quests to handle.

"It is time for me to depart. I still have much to do. I won't be gone from the city long though. We should go on another quest together soon! Just say the word and I will be battling beasties alongside you again! But for now I must go see a man about a dog, farewell!"

"Um... bye, I guess." Pyrrha wanted to question if he would really be okay, but based on that fight with the gnolls, Geoff wasn't a pushover by any means. The thought of someone going off adventuring alone still left her uneasy, but maybe he could take care of himself out there? Back to their own quest though, and the pendant involved. Somebody had to bring it back. Somebody had to tell this woman so worried about her husband that she was a widow. It wasn't a joyful mission. How could it be?

"I'll bring back the pendant," Pyrrha insisted, hand out and ready to accept the task. She wanted to see this job through, perhaps more than the rest of the Chosen. It only made sense in her mind that she be the one to turn it in. Even now, she was thinking about what to tell this poor woman. What were you supposed to say to someone who just learned their nearest and dearest was dead? ...what would I have wanted someone to tell me on that day, when they didn't make it back?

The Draken hunter listened as his companions chimed in their thoughts on the gate. Ryia assumed that like the crazed fire mage, there may well be someone guarding this gate. And it was true the man hadn't immediately warped into a horrible monster from the gate's influence. He did that to himself with his own forbidden magics. Lindow teased the idea of a secret organization that looked to seize hold of the gates. An idea Keres called into question as the mage from the desert at least seemed to very much be acting alone. Regardless, the idea of the island no one wished to visit housing the gate made enough sense to the boy initially. But again, the ever thoughtful Keres was correct that they had to be sure the gate was no longer on the main land before taking that much of a detour. But then Pyrrha added in that it would waste as much time if it was on the island for them to continue searching here. The two ideas bounced around Reinaan's head a bit, ultimately confusing him until he agreed with the sentiment to rest for the night, then get back to town before immediately deciding.

The trip back to Myyrka proved uneventful, thankfully. The Fire Chosen had had his fill of battle for the time being so the relative quiet was appreciated. Kloqah seemed to be in an uncharacteristically calm mood for the time being. Perhaps because her smaller, though getting ever bigger, lizard rider hadn't been seriously hurt this time. Reinaan himself was feeling mostly okay himself, though his legs still felt sore. And he felt like he was seeing a bit higher up again. Maybe his growth spurt was still going. He'd already become the tallest in the group but he still had some ways to go before he reached full Draken stature. He'd been waiting for years so it seemed only fair that now that it was finally happening it was happening all at once in a few weeks.

In the town proper, the buffalo rider made a show of taking his leave. He had several dozen other errands to run no doubt. And while Reinaan still couldn't get a proper read on the man, he had to respect his prowess in battle at the very least. He still didn't much care for the whole impersonating a Chosen thing of course and it would be refreshing to get a break from it. Keres raised two tasks for the group: delivering the pendant they had recovered, and locating Damien. Prryha jumped on the heavy task of informing the woman of her husband's passing. With nothing pressing he wanted to do for himself, and no real desire to see Damien, it seemed smart to accompany the Elf.

"I'll go with you." Reinaan started, a bit more subdued than usual. "Figure we shouldn't split up too much. And I might..." he trailed off, less than pleasant thoughts surfacing at the idea he chose not to finish. "Well, at least she'll get to know the monster that did it's dead." the boy eventually finished, not sure what good that knowledge would do her.

The conversation of the demon gates seemed to have hit a roadblock, as the group wasn't super sure on where they would be going next. There hadn't been a clear consensus as to where they would be searching, and there was still a matter of who or what had moved the gate to begin with. The mystery of it all made her a bit uneasy and thus made the ride back to the city not the most comforting, but she was glad their journey was one without incident. Once they had made their way back into the city proper, the group had to bid  their goodbyes to Geoff, as he seemed preoccupied with one of the likely innumerable tasks he had taken on. 

Ryia gave him a small wave goodbye as he left. He was certainly an over zealous fellow, and definitely more talkative and energetic than any of the other people she had met so far. And though she felt they had all gotten off on the wrong foot, she was glad to see that he was an actually good spirited person. All the same, with his departure the group had to figure out what to accomplish next. Ryia was not looking forward to having to break the news to woman, nor did she know how she would do it, and so she was glad to leave it to the others. And while she didn't feel like she did all that well with Damien, she felt it would be best to make sure that were Lindow to go he didn't do so alone as she felt those two were even worse together. And so, looking to Keres and Lindow she simply said, "I'll uh, I'll go find Damien. I suppose." 

Whilst the group made the trip back to where their quest had started, Lindow used the time to heal and think on the conversation regarding the demon gates. Though Keres seemed to be certain otherwise, the man wasn't quite ready to do away with the notion that there was a someone pulling the strings behind gates and their activity. Though as to how they would go about finding the gate's new location... he didn't really care what the party did, so long as the path kept leading through strong opponents.  

Once they had managed to enter the town proper, Lindow gave Geoff a nod just before the other man promptly ran off begin another adventure. Watching the buffalo chosen disappear from view, Lindow suddenly remembered that they never asked why Geoff had thought he'd been chosen to begin with. With the brief goodbye to the outsider taken care of, the party of heroes too began to split up. Even though he had been the first to make contact with the client, Lindow had no interest in telling her the fate of her husband. So naturally when Ryia she'd be going to fetch Damien, he was quick to slink over to her side.

"I'd bet he's stewing at the same hole in the wall we found him in last time..." He said whilst lazily resting both thumbs in the straps of his armor. "I'll get us a round! I'd say we deserve it after taking care of those beastmen and like." Glancing over to Keres, he waved for to join them. "Come on, let's see if your magic works with the good kind of water..." 

While neither Pyrrha nor Reinaan knew where to find the woman who had given them the quest it wouldn't take much asking around to find out where she was.

As it turned out her husband had owned a small shop, where he sold various items that he made when he didn't have a specific order, and his widow was working at closing the store down and finding a way to sell the remaining stock.

When they reached it the woman was standing outside of it, staring at the door, holding her key and seemed to have her head in the clouds.

As they approached she finally noticed that the two of them were there and she turned around. "Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there. Oh, wait you were followers of that brave Chosen man weren't you?" She smiled and then, as if realizing what it meant, her face took a more somber expression. "Did...did you find him?"

"Come on, let's see if your magic works with the good kind of water..." 

Keres shook her head. "Unless it's watered down. Even then it would be difficult. The composition of the drink..." She stopped, realizing that once again Lindow was joking. "Either way I'll go with." She watched the other two leaving and decided between the two groups she'd rather deal with drunks than a widow.

Though as it turned out they wouldn't have much to do at the bar itself. The barkeep was somewhat hesitant to say anything but eventually with a grunt shook his head. "That human was a weird one for sure. Tried to outdrink a Minotaur." He snorted. "Got farther than I expected honestly. But then he got real...rowdy. He caused some trouble and the sheriff had to get involved. He's probably sleeping it off in the jail's overnight cell."

He looked around. "Now, any of you plan on actually ordering something?"

Spoiler

Short post I know but set up the split. As always if you want dialogue or whatnot lemme know.

The Earth Chosen couldn't help but think that Lindow was right, and knew that it would probably be another uncomfortable experience talking to Damien. All the same she was glad to see  that Keres was coming along with them as well, giggling a bit as the water chosen didn't seem to catch Lindow's joke at first, before setting off. Going to the tavern where they had last seen Damien, the group met up with a barkeep who had explained to them what happened. Ryia had a troubled expression on her face, though it wasn't as though she was entirely surprised by this development either. As he asked if they wanted to order a drink, Ryia quickly stepped back saying, "oh, um, sorry. But no, um, I'm fine. But thank you for your time and help. And, well," she looked to the other two saying, "should we be off now, to uh, find the sheriff's office?" 

Hv8FblW.png

Finding the widow was a bit of a process. But find her, Pyrrha and Reinaan did. This was her husband's shop, the way the elf heard it. And standing out front of it, key in hand, was the woman herself.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there. Oh, wait you were followers of that brave Chosen man weren't you? Did...did you find him?"

Pyrrha was torn. The desire to say something false like "Yes, we did! He's a bit beaten up, but we brought him home, and you should be able to see him soon!" was too strong. But what good would lying do? This woman wasn't an idiot, and giving her false hope was probably far crueler than feeding her the painful truth. What was she even supposed to say? No matter how much she thought about it over the time it took to find the lady, Pyrrha simply couldn't wrap her head around a way to tell her, even if she got the general idea of what happened. What caused it, where, and the monster responsible had been dealt with too.

Come on, words! This is the first time I've really needed you in weeks, and you're letting me down now!?

Words wouldn't really cut it, would they? Pyrrha procured the amulet from her person, holding it out for the woman. "...he didn't make it." That was what Pyrrha had been told back then. It was the most direct answer possible, while still trying to keep at least some form of tact and courtesy. That wasn't all they said though. It wouldn't make sense to go word-for-word, but the idea was still the same. "It was a giant bird. The beast has been put down, but that's all that can be done now. I'm sorry."

Reinaan was lost in his own thoughts about the whole situation as he and Pyrrha made their way to the woman's shop. How were you supposed to tell someone their loved one was gone? His own loss was strongly resurfacing in his mind and he thought about his process of grieving his fallen Draken brethren. Maybe humans were different but he had something of an idea what message to leave the widow with. Still, even having the right words wouldn't mean much in the height of emotional turmoil. But what else was to be done? Eventually the two Chosen arrived, the woman herself outside the shop she ran with her husband, about to unlock the door from the looks of things. She spoke and before anyone had said anything it had to be obvious what the answer to her questions were. The Wind Chosen ultimately spoke first, stating plainly that her husband hadn't survived the ordeal. The bird that had done it was dead but what comfort was that? Her face turned paler at Pyrrha's words as she reached out toward the pendant in the Elf's hand, tears welling up and beginning to flow.

"I-I k-knew he would... but I hoped, I hoped... oh, gods..." she began breaking down. Reinaan could see every emotion he had felt himself, though perhaps something even deeper. This had been her lover after all. The boy knew he wouldn't be the best at this but he had to do something. He stepped forward and tried to employ a soft, kind tone as he began to speak, a rare thing for him.

"I'm sorry we couldn't be here sooner." he started. Had they arrived some days earlier they may have been able to fight the bird off before it had killed the man. But then what would have even sent them that way? This was all likely inevitable, but it was the boy's own actual frustration that hadn't been able to save life despite slaying the beast. "Grieve him as long as you need to. Cry every tear you feel you have to. Don't ever forget him." Reinaan continued with the words that had been imparted to him before. "But most of all, don't let the fact he's gone stop you from moving. He wouldn't want that for you." he concluded. At this point Reinaan took the pendant from Pyrrha and pressed it firmly into the woman's outstretched hand. Better she didn't take the few steps, she seemed likely to buckle under her own grief. The widow clutched onto the pendant tightly and sobbed more over her loss.

"I... yes... S-sorry, you did all this and I'm just being such a mess." she continued, trying to regain composure in front of strangers who had taken on her task. His own memories powerfully in place now, Reinaan himself was tearing up at this display of emotion. From the death he'd encountered so far on his journey, he wasn't certain humans grieved the fallen nearly so powerfully as his tribe did. And yet he saw it plainly now that wasn't the case. 

"There's no need to apologize. How else are you supposed to feel?" he started before trying to give a weak smile. "We'll be in town for a while longer. If there's anything else you need I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find us." Reinaan offered. Whatever physical tasks he could accomplish for her so she could simply grieve he was more than willing to do. The woman nodded in response before pausing.

"My... husband, he made magic items. There's still a few... a few left behind. Wait here, I'll grab you one." she said as she excused herself into the shop. Reinaan could only imagine the full flow of emotions she'd be feeling behind closed doors and so he stepped back to wait with Pyrrha, with the sadness still hanging heavily about them.

"This wasn't even the work of a Demon Gate." he said in passing to his Chosen companion as they waited. "What a cruel world we're fighting to preserve the order of." Reinaan said pensively. The world full of demons was definitely less preferable but even should the Chosen succeed in their mission, this woman's grief would never be lifted from her.

Hv8FblW.png

"This wasn't even the work of a Demon Gate. What a cruel world we're fighting to preserve the order of."

"Just preserving order isn't good enough." Not being in a grieving widow's line of sight or earshot anymore felt like a monster of a weight off of Pyrrha's shoulders. The bearers of bad news were supposed to keep their composure in these sorts of situations, and until they left, she was intent on doing precisely that. It felt a lot easier when she didn't have to look someone who had just lost their life's love in the eyes. This was as good a time as any to practice the same motions. Draw arrow. Pull back string. Release. In the direction of her imaginary bow, as she fired her imaginary arrow, Pyrrha tried to envision the thing she hated most in its path.

Order wasn't enough on its own.

"Peace is also important. Even if we close the Demon Gates and keep the world in order, this sort of thing will keep happening to people who don't deserve it. The world is still crawling with things that cause it, that came from this world. Monsters. Villains. Witches." There was a very special, very obvious drop of venom put into that last one. "Until we deal with those menaces too, closing the Demon Gates will only stop this sort of thing from happening on a worldwide scale. If we want to stop this sort of grief for good..." One final shot. In her mind, Pyrrha could see the target, and watched as the arrow whizzed through the air, planting itself firmly between the eyes of an imaginary witch.

"Well, you get the idea."

The fact that Damien had gotten himself into trouble wasn't the least bit surprising to Lindow. "Hm," Listening to Ryia speak, he once again found himself fascinated by how sheepish the girl could be when she wasn't smashing through their opposition. Part of him wanted to remind her that she was probably amongst the strongest people in the room- or the town even, but it would certainly not be received in a manner that would make a difference. People were funny that way... 

"Yes, I suppose we should go collect him. I hope that blade of his alright..." Lindow answered the earth chosen's question with a nod. Though instead of stepping back, he slid forward towards the bar. "But before we head out, have you heard anything interesting lately, my friend?" He addressed the barkeep with a smile whilst producing a sack of gold from his belt. "We'll make it worth your while, and if our friend has any debts I'll gladly take care of them now as well." 

Reinaan and Pyrrha would have to wait a few more minutes as the woman presumably searched through the store to find what she was looking for. When she returned she was gingerly holding what looked to be a silver ring with a blue run carved into it. She held it out to the pair, for either to take. "It's...well, I'm not fully sure. My hus..husband wasn't very good at keeping notes but I think it does something with the cold? Erm, I'd like you to take it. Sorry it's not much..."

Upon saying that she tried to give them a smile, which looked forced at best, and followed it up "You're very kind people. It must be hard traveling with someone like the Chosen, but keep it up! I'm sure you'll do great."

Unless they had anything else to say to her the woman would, taking a deep breath as if bracing herself, go back into the shop to continue sorting things.

The bartender just shrugged in response to Lindow. "Its only been a couple days. Less you care about the local gossip, who cheated who and all, not much I got for you. And don't worry about any debt, that guy might look scruffy but he already paid everything off and more."

With that the two set off for the jail. Which was a low, but long, building that was located closer to the center of the city. A bored looking guard was leaning up against the wall near the door and didn't say anything as they walked inside.

As expected from the height of the building the ceiling was low inside as well. Not quite enough that Lindow would have to duck but were he to jump he'd easily hit it. The room they entered was small, square, and very grey. Bars, with a metal door, separated the room from a long hallway with cells on either side. Off to the side, sitting with his boots up on a wooden desk, was a man wearing a sash that had some sort of badge pinned to it.

He was chewing on a pipe when the two came in and pulled it out of his mouth when the two came in. "Mm? Don't recognize you, y'all lost or something?"

It had seemed that the bar was a bit of dead end on anything more they'd be searching for, though Ryia was glad to hear that Damien didn't actually owe anything to the bar. With the matter settled, the group went to the jail they were directed to, finding a rather gruff sheriff sitting at the desk. Though he asked the group a question, Ryia hesitantly stepped forward, feeling partially responsible for everything in regards to Damien right now. Speaking up, the girl said,  "oh, um, no we're not lost or anything. We're just looking for someone."

"Looking for someone in the jail eh? Must be really desperate."

"Well, we were told they were uh...brought here. They're an," Ryia pauses for a moment before saying, "an acquaintance of ours. They're um, named Damien...though, they probably weren't conscious when he was uh...yeah."

"You talking about that loud one that was holding onto that sword even when he passed out? Couldn't for the life of me pry it away so I just tied him up with it. Guess its been a day so he should be sobered up by now."

Ryia let out a defeated sigh at the man's accurate description of who they were looking for, finding it somewhat impressive if not worrying that he was causing trouble even while passed out. "That's um, that's the one."

He looks the two of them over and shrugs. Then he digs around a drawer and takes out a key and tosses it to Ryia. "Go on and get him."

Catching the keys the girl said, "thank you, um, Sheriff." The girl looked to the others with the keys in her hand, and said, "well uh let's...yeah." With that, she began to walk to where Damien was locked up. 

Lindow scoffed at the mention of Damien's refusal to give up is sword even when unconscious. This wasn't the first time he a noticed the other man's deep attachment to the elven blade, and it made the mysterious weapon even more interesting to him. 

Watching Ryia catch the key, Lindow nodded in thanks to the Sheriff before following beside the earth chosen. As the they strolled deeper into the prison, he idly studied the contents of the various cells they passed. "After we're done collecting our chaperone, I think we should look into speaking with whomever is running this city." He said to the two girls whilst adjusting his cloak with a bored expression. "Maybe they might be able to give us some direction..."

Hv8FblW.png

It was a few more minutes before the woman came out of the shop. Pyrrha wasn't sure if she was having trouble figuring out how to express her gratitude, or if she just wasn't sure what was in stock. This was a shop dealing in magical items, after all. When she did emerge, she was carrying a silver ring with some pretty blue rune engraved in it. Seemed that she wasn't sure what it did, but something to do with cold. That sounded like a coin flip if she didn't know what exactly it did. All the same, Pyrrha took the ring with gratitude, not quite trying it on.

"You're very kind people. It must be hard traveling with someone like the Chosen, but keep it up! I'm sure you'll do great." 

It's been a real experience so far. Then she returned to her shop. There must have been a lot of stuff to sort through. Someone who understood magical objects would probably be a big help for her right now... and while Pyrrha knew somebody who probably fit that criteria, she really didn't want to ask them for help. "We should go meet up with the others."

Ryia, Lindow, and Keres were able to open up the cell door with the key given to them. The sheriff didn't even seem to be watching as they stepped inside. Any wonder about how he knew they weren't going to let anyone else go free was answered as they walked the hallway. On either side of them each cell they passed by was empty. Not a single prisoner to be found.

That is until they reached the end of the hall. Where the single cell with an occupant was. Inside of it, laying on a lumpy looking bed, was Damien. As the sheriff had said he was indeed tied up. A rope was wrapped around his chest. Keeping his arms stuck to his sides. His sword was, in its sheath, sticking up past his face as it was placed under the ropes as well.

When he saw them he squirmed his way to sitting on the edge of the bed. Moving the hilt of his sword slightly with his chin he looked over at the two of them. "Well hello there, what brings you to these neck of the woods?" He winced. "Anyone else hear that buzzing?"

"I think that would be from the alcohol." Keres said. Though her voice was quiet Damien still heard her.

"Hm? Right, yeah, I drank a bit last night didn't I. Hey uh, any chance you can get me out of here? My arms feel kinda numb after sleeping like this."

"It would have been easier if you didn't get in trouble."

Damien shrugged. Or rather, tried to, and smirked. "Well, how else am I supposed to get a Minotaur to talk?"

Reinaan's mood wasn't improving any as Pyrrha spoke. Everything she said was right but that made it all the more infuriating. They had been chosen to stop a world ending cataclysm but these individual pains and losses would still occur regardless. And there was nothing a group so small could to do help every person in the world. And so he stood and fumed, anger, sadness, empathy all mixing together and battling for control of his mood. Things calmed some as the woman appeared from within the shop, a humble offering of her husband's leftover work in hand. A ring that had something to do with the cold. The Draken was almost hesitant to let Pyrrha accept the object as surely the woman would want every keepsake of her husband she could get. But then she already had the matching pendant. Nothing was going to top that in sentimental value. Still, he had to try to smile as the woman feigned thanks and encouragement. She was best left to process the feelings alone.

"Right, knowing Damien they're probably sorting out trouble he caused." Reinaan responded to Pyrrhas comment for the duo to be on their way back to the rest of the group. Perhaps knowing Damien wasn't the right phrase. The Fire Chosen didn't actually know him all that well. In fact, he'd been avoiding interacting with him basically since they met for implying he was careless when it came to Kloqah. For now the boy settled his own feelings that had been drug up by the ordeal. It wasn't the place for them. Those sorts of thoughts had been left to settle and that's where they needed to stay. For now he had a mission he had to see through.

"To the bar I guess." he stated, somewhat unsure. Would Damien have stayed there the whole time they were gone? Regardless it was probably where the others had gone first and would be their easiest way to track them down by asking anyone who'd seen them.

Ryia was glad for two reasons. One, that there didn't seem to actually be any prisoners in here other than who they were looking for. And secondly, that the prisoner they were looking for seemed to be alright. Frowning a bit as he and Keres talked about his apparent hangover, the girl could only imagine what unruly state he had been in when he was brought in here. Her expression then went to intrigued, however, as it seemed that he had found some information. "Talk? Did you learn something about uh, some...things?" 

"Oh yeah, got a bundle of information while you were....where were you again?"

Ryia clammed up at the man's question. Though he was in no position to have followed them yesterday, the group still had left him behind without telling him much of anything on the matter. And as a result, Ryia did feel guilty about having just done that to someone they convinced to come along with them in the first place. As a result, she didn't really know where to start nor how to say it in a way that wouldn't make the man feel bad. As a result she fumbled her words saying, "oh, uh, well...a lot happened. There was some fighting involved...Gnolls and a Roc too...like, the bird not the stone thing um..." Hastily changing the subject away from that the girl said, "so uh what did you find out?"

Damien whistled. "Seems you were busy. And I'd love to tell you. You know what I'd love even more? Telling you while I can feel my limbs." He winked.

The girl looked at the boy again, going flush with embarrassment as she realized she was basically interrogating him while he was still tied up. "Oh uh, right, um, uh. Sorry, I'll just," the girl awkwardly made her way over to Damien, starting to untie his binds. 

"You know, this isn't the first time a pretty girl had to untie me like this. The other time was a lot more private though."

The girl's face only seemed to get to redder at this, even if her expression was mostly unamused by the man's continued flirtatious comments. As the binds hadn't been yet untied as well, the girl had accidentally slipped as a result of this, tightening the bonds around him further. Realizing this, the girl let go with a start and seemed to momentarily panic. "Oh! Uh sorry. My bad. Uh...." After her brief apology, the girl went back to her work, finally managing to untie the man. 

"Didn't think you'd be so rough, not that I mind." Standing back up, with sword hand, Damien stretched himself out. "Muuuch better."

Standing up with a sigh, the girl walked back to the others, a defeated expression on her face as she had seemed emotionally drained by the whole experience. With a similarly defeated tone, the girl said, "I'm glad to hear." 

Lindow felt his eyebrows lift when Damien mentioned that he had actually managed to secure some information for them whilst he'd been making a fool out of himself. Leaning back against the bars of the cell, he watched Ryia struggle to untie the man as he had a go at making her squirm with his usual flirtatious banter. One would think she'd have gotten used to the swordsman's antics by now... 

"Maybe we should keep the rope incase he gets frisky..." Lindow chirped from the back of the group before addressing Damien. "So, the suspense is killing me. What did your minotaur friend have to say?" As he spoke he studied Damien closely. Though he fairly sure that the man could be trusted, something about his mannerisms didn't seem quite genuine. The more time they spent with him, the more certain Lindow was that he was this happy go-lucky persona was some sort of front. Or perhaps the paranoia of voices that lingered from the darkness spirit were beginning to have some sort of lasting effect...  

Hv8FblW.png

"Right, knowing Damien they're probably sorting out trouble he caused. To the bar I guess."

"Is he some sort of troublemaker?" Pyrrha inquired. That would be something worth keeping in mind. The way back to the bar was rather quiet, and once the pair of elf and draken had made it, Pyrrha paid the other patrons no mind. She was here for her fellow Chosen (and Damien), and it wasn't long before Pyrrha realized. He wasn't in this room. Maybe in one of the beds then. She made sure to ask the barkeep first, and after a brief and pleasant exchange (she thought it was pleasant anyway), all that was left was meeting up with the others. She made for the proper room, and found herself met with the other Chosen, Damien, and some rope.

Quite a situation she'd found herself dropped into all of a sudden. Was butting in really okay?

Pyrrha cleared her throat, just to announce her presence. "Reinaan and I have reported back to the widow. We got an enchanted ring as a reward, but we're not actually certain exactly what it does. I just wanted to update you all. Don't stop... whatever you're doing, on my account."

"So, the suspense is killing me. What did your minotaur friend have to say?"

"Why don't we wait till the team is gathered first, I really don't like to repeat myself." Upon saying this Damien started out of the cell. He passed the rope to Ryia with a nod towards Lindow. "In case I get 'frisky' right?" He smirked as he put his sword back at his hip.

They had barely even left the cell when the other two found them.

Keres noticed that both of them seemed to be somewhat drained. Whatever they had just done must have been emotionally difficult. Though there was something else. "Did you get something?" She asked. She felt something magical, something new and magical, coming off of them.

Damien clapped his hands together. "Well look at that, nice timing. Come on, I want to see the sun before I give you the juicy details."

Once outside the man stretched and looked up into the sky. "Ah, sweet freedom. How long has it been since I've tasted you?"

"A day." Keres said. And then urged "You had something to tell us?"

He smiled back at her. "So impatient. But alright. Here's the deal." He spun around to face the rest of them and his face was a bit more grave than before. "Turns out the reason that the Minotaur have pulled back on protecting farmers is they were asked to by one of the tribes. Minotaur culture is quite intertwined between each tribe so they often will follow suit if one of the tribes decides something, as long as it's in good standing. Now, why did that tribe ask that you might ask. That's where it gets interesting. It seems that the tribe has been poking around some ruins looking for something. My new friend says it's something that will 'make the Minotaur race strong again'. I don't know about you but there's one ancient powerful device that comes to mind. And turns out some of them have set out for a ruin just south of here."

Keres didn't react to the news but she was silently mulling it over nonetheless. It wouldn't be the biggest stretch to assume what they were looking for. But would interfering mean dealing with the Minotaur nation? Or even a tribe of them? And if they were keeping the others from helping the farmers...There was a lot to consider before making a move. "So what should we do?" She posed the big question herself, glancing up to see what the others thought.