LordCowCow

The Chosen [IC / Not Accepting / PG-16]

Having reappeared from the shadows soon after the group made their escape, Lindow lingered against a tree as everyone began to settle. Damien’s absence coaxed tendrils of paranoia from the corners of the man’s mind. Though he appeared to be idly listening to the conversation between the girls, Lindow was actually straining to sense any movement in the brush around them until Reinaan finally stole his attention. 

“Forgive me if I end up putting my gold on the other guy…” He smirked at the boy’s jest, forcing himself to be present in the interaction by turning his ear away from the path they had taken. “Judging by their reaction, I think it’s pretty clear that they’re looking to use the Demon Gate for their own purposes and hired miss Madelyn to aid in the magical aspect of affair.” As he spoke, Lindow turned his gaze over to sorceress. “When Damien and I snuck into the tower, she triggered some kind of boobytrap… despite her quirks, I think she might be of some help. You said you only cared about the money, right. What kind of services did the tribe hire you for specifically? We'll buy them out.”

Edited by Hollow

Keres's face turned a very slight pink as she heard Ryia defend her. She had been brought back to her schooldays momentarily. She had been acknowledged there by very few, and the main one she honestly wished hadn't acknowledged her, and never by any of her classmates. At best they ignored her and at worst they claimed it didn't count because she was "using witchcraft". She wasn't sure how to handle someone around her own age saying she did well.

Madelyn didn't seem too impressed and just shrugged off Ryia's response. "Well in any case it's good that we got away from those smelly beasts. Their kind are a bunch of savages after all." She glanced over at Reinaan and frowned as he spoke. She didn't say anything until Lindow spoke up, explained the general situation, and offered to pay her.

She gave a laugh and shook her head. "That trap was absolutely vile. Why risk destroying the place just to catch a thief. I will never understand the minds of the people who made these ruins."

She pursed her lips and crossed her arms. Looking Lindow up and down before turning to look at the others in turn. "I was hired by those brutes to take them to old ruins and check for traces of magic. I doubt you could afford to pay that much, looking as shabby as you do." Again her eyes lingered on Reinaan and his lack of clothing. "But even if you could I won't. I don't know what kind of person you take me for but I'm no fool. It may not be my expertise but I learned in the Tower. I know of the Gates. And I refuse to lead anyone to one of them. Even if you threaten me on that I will not budge." She scoffed and turned her nose up as she said this.

Keres didn't want to speak up. Not wanting to draw attention to herself. It may be silly but she still wanted to do what she could to make sure that the girl didn't recognize her. She was done with the tower and all the people from it. That part of her life was over.

She also couldn't help but wonder if Madelyn being here was connected to the Council Member having visited this place. It could be a coincidence but even so.

To Ryia again she whispered "Do you think the minotaurs will give up now that she isn't helping them anymore?"

Ryia still didn't know entirely what to make of Madelyn, but it seemed that she had a good idea of what the demon gates that they were looking for were. And she was very unwilling to help them look for it. Though she was a bit rude in how she conducted herself, Ryia couldn't help but feel a bit glad that Madelyn was as uncooperative as she was. Of course, it was something of a problem for them right now, but she still couldn't help but be glad that she was resolute and good natured enough to not give under duress to tell some random people about the demon gate's location. Ryia looked over to Keres as the girl went to mutter something to her. As she posed her question, Ryia pondered on it for a moment. "I don't think so." She replied, in a similarly hushed voice. "They seem intent on getting it and with how things are now..." The girl trailed off as she thought on it more. If anything they had made things between the humans and minotaurs worse, having declared to search for and destroy the very thing they thought would prop their race up. Of course, there was still so much Ryia didn't know about the situation they were in, the ones they had met and the Minotaurs views on these as a whole. It was all so complicated. 

The only thing she could do was simplify the situation. Right now, the Demon Gate was the main thing causing the rift between the two species. So, all they had to do was get rid of it. She wasn't sure if it was that simple, but it certainly helped affirm to her that they needed to destroy this gate. And in order to do that, they needed to find it. And in order to do that, having a guide point them to it would certainly help. Walking forward towards Madelyn, Ryia cleared her throat before saying, "um, well, we're not going to threaten you or uh, anything like that. But well, if you know where we can find the uh, the Demon Gate, we'd greatly appreciate it. It's...well, it's our job. To destroy them and the like."

Madelyn gave Ryia a skeptical look. "Right, and I bet you're the Queen of Fantalius as well."

Ryia will frowned a bit saying, "n-no, nothing like that. No. It's just that we were put up to this by the council...well, I guess more than the council? The uh...the spirits, yeah. Them." Ryia blushed in embarrassment as she continued speaking. Of course she would respond with such a sarcastic response. Ryia had lived through one such Gate already and had been the Chosen themselves, but saying it aloud and explaining it to someone who was skeptical as Madelyn was realized she must've just sounded ridiculous. 

The girl raised an eyebrow. "You don't sound all too confident in that."

"Ah, no." The girl waved her hands saying, "that's just...that's just how I talk...in general and...wow that, uh...hm..." Ryia seemed stunned by her own explanation. She had never thought about how entirely unconvincing she had sounded before this moment. Of course she knew that she was prone to being nervous and uncomfortable in social situations, but she never had thought about it quite like this before. She was quite terrible at talking to people. Did that mean she had actually been making things worse this whole time whenever they talked to other people? That was certainly a troubling thought. The girl seemed to ponder on this for a moment more, before she realized that she was already in the middle of a conversation. Backing out would definitely only make her seem like even more of a liar now, so Ryia simply had to press forward and hope she could convince the mage girl. Shaking her head, she said, "but it's true. I'm telling the truth. But how do I...Oh! I know! Ackrin could you uh, could you help me?"  The girl looked as if she was talking to air for a moment before saying, "with uh...with this. Just you know, explain to her. Please?" 

The Earth Spirit materialized and looked at Madelyn. "Hello."

Madelyn blanched for a moment, recoiling almost comically, before she straightened and ran her hand through her hair a couple times. "Hm." She said. Inching nearer to Ackrin. "Hm hm hm." She started looking at him from various angles as she went. She ended up in front of him looking up at his face "And what are you supposed to be?"

"I am the Earth Spirit."

Ryia will look over and say, "his uh, his name is Ackrin."

"So I see." She muttered. Then she looked to the side and put a hand to her chin. The girl began to pace back and forth for a while.

"So uh, yeah. I was chosen by Ackrin...and well, uh, he's my spirit."

She stopped mid-step and turned to her. "That's ridiculous. If the spirits had done their choosing clearly I would be among you." She looked around. "So who of you is supposedly the Chosen of Light then, hm?"

"Ah...well...um..." Ryia's face grew somber as she looked to the ground. "He's...dead...He was an orc by the name of Kha."

"An ORC?" She said, entirely ignoring the dead part of the statement. She gave a look of pure dismay at this and muttered "Impossible."

Ryia jumped in shock at Madelyn's shout, but just stared at her saying, "um...yeah...But, that's how it is. I'm the Chosen of Earth. Right, Ackrin?"

The spirit will nod. "All that she has said is true." The spirit will stare at the girl, examining her and seemingly curious about her prior statement.

"This is absolutely terrible news." Madelyn moaned. She took a deep breath and then, "Well in that case. Perhaps I could show you the way. Though, there is still the matter of that beastly minotaur tribe..."

Ryia was quite confused at what Madelyn was getting at, though she seemed to have been upset by her explanation. All the same, she seemed more willing to help, but at the talk of the Minotaur, Ryia simply took a more pensive expression saying, "right...them...hm..."

"This is absolutely terrible news. Well in that case. Perhaps I could show you the way. Though, there is still the matter of that beastly minotaur tribe..."

"right...them...hm..."  

“Let them do what they want...” Lindow finally spoke up once the exchange between the girls begun to slow down. He had grown particularly silent when the conversation found itself lingering around the spirits, careful observing the whole exchange from his tree. “They seemed to be completely reliant on you in the magic department, so I don’t think they’ll have much luck by themselves.” 

He nodded towards Madeyln. “And with you helping us now, we should focus our efforts on finding the Demon Gate. As long as they’re not messing with the thing or anything similar, then it’s no business anyway.” As he spoke Lindow looked around the group. He found his gaze lingering on Ryia for just a bit longer than the others. She seemed to be the one who was must invested in interfering with the tribe, even going as far as come out her shell for the cause. "This isn't like when we protected that village. I think the only way we should interfere is by protecting Madeyln and destroying the gate." 

Reinaan couldn't help but notice Madelyn eyeing him as she spoke with the others. She was almost staring at him. And so the boy matched her gaze, with confusion at first. But then a slowly mounting irritation. It was like she was challenging him. And he was ready to take whatever challenge. Still, she didn't directly say anything so perhaps he was misreading the woman. It was hard to tell. The Draken still wasn't sure he understood human women yet from his interactions with Keres and Ryia. Madelyn wasn't helping the issue. As Ryia continued speaking with Madelyn, the Earth Chosen indirectly confirmed they were the Chosen in an effort to convince her to work with them. Ackrin made an appearance and introduction, prompting Madelyn to ask about the light spirit. Reinaan's thoughts drifted to Kha and how different their journey thus far might have been had he, and the Dark Chosen remained alive. Never mind losing Gilly, Anis and Pyrrha. The boy tuned back into the conversation as Lindow spoke. He made their task seem clear, use Madelyn's knowledge to find and destroy the gate and ignore all the political affairs of the minotuar. However the woman didn't seem to agree things were so clear cut.

"Hmph, as I thought you are a crass man. And what about once its done? Do you think they'll just shrug and move on?" She huffed. "I suppose maybe those pea-sized brains of theirs could forget all about it before long." The Fire Chosen didn't appreciate the insults to Lindow's person or the general dismissal of the minotaurs. But for now he had a handle on his temper.

"They'll have to give up their plans. But if they still wanna fight the Chosen, that's on them. We'll take out their leader, then they'd have to listen to us." He responded as a matter of fact. If he had the idea of the minotaurs right in their head, the leader had to be the strongest of them all. So if he lost they'd be the next leader. It seemed clear cut. Not exactly a Draken way of thinking but Reinaan could respect the idea of a Draken village run on that principile. Mostly because it would give him a shot at being the leader well before he was some four hundred years old.

Madelyn threw her hands up "I guess." She tapped her forehead a few times "Well, either way, I need a warm meal and a bath. And I'm not taking anyone anywhere until I get that." She obviously wasn't sold on the ideas still. She was getting on Reinaan's nerves with how everything out of her mouth seemed like a demand. She probably never had to do any real work her whole life. Still, he could understand the wants.

"Well we've got food. Guess we could find a river or something. Keres you can grab water no problem right? I'll heat it up to whatever temperature." he started. Then he turned back to Madelyn. "Unless you're saying you want us to go all the way back to the city." he said with a somewhat incredulous tone. The boy was clear which path he thought made sense. But Madelyn returned a look of utter disgust.

"Of course I mean back to the city, you barbarian." She said. "I've been out here all day." At this point Reinaan was tiring of trying to be polite with this girl. There'd been an awful lot of diplomacy going on today and he was a warrior at heart. His next words would be laced with growls.

"It's not like it's gonna be that much different where it comes from! Not to mention you wouldn't be paying out here and we'd get to get moving faster!" he stated, baffled at the logic at play here, or lack thereof in his ind.

"I wouldn't expect YOU to understand." She looked over at Ryia and Keres "I'm sure you two get it right?" Keres didn't answer but shook her head instead. The way she spoke, it was becoming clear this woman had low opinions of any race other than humans. But until she insulted his people, Reinaan would do his best to control himself for the group's sake.

"I'm trying to save you time and money but okay, sure, I'm the one who doesn't get it." he said with a huff before turning around to get Kloqah ready to go again.

"Just what I'd expect." She muttered in response and swiftly looked to the side in a huff. This earned her another glare from the Draken. Already the ice was wearing thin. This trip was going to prove lively one way or another.

Keres let out a sigh of relief as Madelyn, in a huff, strode out in front of the group and started down a worn-down pathway that eventually would lead back to the city they had come from. Though the sigh was interrupted halfway as the girl looked over to her and said "I know I'm missing something about you. I'm sure it'll come to me."

Keres could only hope that it did not.

Despite Madelyn loudly complaining, or perhaps because of it, on the way back to the city they didn't encounter any attacks from monster nor minotaur. Though they did see some signs that the minotaur had crossed the path at some point. "They're probably tucking tail and running back to their chief. I'm sure he'll be ever so pleased knowing that they couldn't get me to come back with them." She chuckled darkly at this and added a "serves those brutes right."

The Water Chosen continued to stick close to Ryia. Walking always just a few steps behind her. It seemed that the girl wanted to speak to Ryia but whenever she started to she'd look over at the others and lower her eyes to the ground. It seemed she was slipping into childhood habits again of not speaking up.

----

When they got back to the city Madelyn threw her hands up into the air "At last, blessed civilization again! Or, close enough at least." She let out a happy sigh and started to hum as they crossed the barricade and made their way into the city itself.

Where Damien was waiting. Leaning up against a fence post where a bunch of dogs were running around barking at each other. He gave them a wave, "Well hello there. I see you made it back safely." His eyes turned to Madelyn and he gave a short bow "And not alone either. We met earlier under less than ideal circumstances. The name's Damien."

Madelyn smiled at him "See, now HE has manners. I am Madelyn, I suppose this lot is yours then? Very good." She moved ahead again and turned to them all "I already have a room at the best inn this place has to offer. I'd be willing to talk the owner into letting you all in at discount if you wish. Either way I shall be heading there promptly. I cannot wait to bathe at last."

At the end of the day, it seemed that Madelyn was willing to help them out in finding the demon gate, which was good to hear. Ryia wasn't quite sure what to make of the girl so far - she seemed to be someone who could speak her mind without worry, even if it did come off as generally rude to others. But still, Ryia didn't think she was a bad person. The girl continued to think on the matter but didn't get much farther as her attention kept snapping back to something else. As they made their way back towards the city, she couldn't help but feel like there was something up with Keres. Looking back every now and then, she felt as though she met eyes with the girl, though briefly,  only to see that she was instead staring at the ground. The Earth Chosen couldn't help but worry for her friend, but when it came to the two of them she felt as though Keres was the more upfront of the two of them and figured if the girl had something she wanted to talk to her about, she would. This kind of thinking didn't sit particularly well with Ryia nor did it make her any less concerned, a concern that she couldn't even peg why she was having, and so she just remained on edge for the whole trip back. 

Eventually though, this concern was alleviated as she saw that Damien had made it back to town in one piece. She let out an audible sigh of relief at this and it had seemed that both him and their newest companion had needed to get introduced to each other. When all was said and done though, it seemed that Madelyn was ready to go back to her place and take her long awaited bath. Ryia shook her head at the offer saying, "oh um, no, that's fine. I'm uh, fine with where we're staying." Well, that wasn't entirely true but she both didn't want to impose on the group's funds for her own leisure and simply felt odd about staying at the same place Madelyn was right now. Though, despite this, a thought crossed the girl's mind. "Though I um, I suppose we should walk with you there? So that we can you later, and all." 

That the trip back to town was unremarkable was a blessing and a curse. Reinaan really wasn't in the mood to be fighting things and wasn't feeling particularly minotaur-worthy the more he thought about the amount of cheating to not immediately lose his little test of strength earlier. But of course, this left little but Madelyn to fill the silence. That she wasn't afraid to speak what came to mind was almost commendable as the boy didn't know many humans to make it a habit to be up front with things. But the way she did it. Well it was grating on him as time passed. They eventually saw signs of minotaurs moving through the area but saw no sign of the beast men themselves.

Returning to the city was no different. Madelyn obviously felt this town not entirely up to her standards. Then of all faces, Damien stood before the group. He'd gotten away on his own and made it back to town much faster than the rest of the group had. Not pausing to talk with a new guest would do that most likely. If Damien was Madelyn's idea of manners Reinaan was confident he not only wouldn't understand the woman, but would likely never get along with her all that well. Still, he'd have to try to be patient. The woman was heading back to where she was staying, the most expensive place in town apparently. Ryia voiced Reinaan's thoughts best when she stated she liked the rooms they'd been staying in fine. Spending more money than needed for a place to lie down seemed silly.

"We definitely need to at least know where it is." he started, agreeing with Ryia's sentiment about walking there with Madelyn. "I'm fine with our rooms too but now that I think of it, maybe one of us at least could stay in the same building. You know, if the minotaurs get any bright ideas or something." the boy suggested, wondering if any of the other Chosen would agree, let alone go along with the idea. If anyone stayed with Madelyn it was probably smarter for them all to do it in terms of keeping the group together. In any case, Reinaan had more wandering to do about town after seeing the woman to her inn. He didn't want to think too much about too much else.

Keres was relieved that the others didn't want to stay with Madelyn. She figured it would be hard enough keeping of sight and mind of the girl when they were on the road. So she didn't want to have to worry about doing so all day.

Her relief didn't last long as she realized that Reinaan was suggesting they at least check it out and perhaps some stay with. Being one of the two females in the group Keres had a suspicion that she might end up being the one to do it. Which she wouldn't really be able to refuse without making a scene. After all it only made sense.

So it was with reluctance that she went with the others to follow Madelyn. Who was trying to tell them all of the many features of the inn. "It even has a hot spring. Even if it is a small one. It feels wonderful though."

Damien seemed to perk up at that and started asking after it. Which thankfully kept Madelyn focused on talking to him until they reached it.

The entire inn was painted yellow. Though by the name, The Gold Canary, Keres had to assume it was meant to be gold.

Though it could be canary.

The water mage started to think about why it would have that name. Wasn't there some fable about a gold egg laying bird? Maybe this place had one. It would explain why it was so large.

Madelyn stood in front of the doors and flung her arms to the side "Welcome, welcome! Isn't it grand? Doesn't it suit someone like me?" She said it proudly as though she were the owner and not just a guest.

It had seemed that the group was in agreement of at least taking Madelyn back to her hotel. However Reinaan had brought up the idea that perhaps one of them should stay with her for the night, just to make sure nothing funny happened in the middle of the night. Ryia figured that there was at least a non-zero chance that the Minotaurs would try to take her back, both because she was necessary to finding the demon gate and they probably felt slighted by her. It also probably helped to both keep an eye on the girl as well as meet back up with the others more easily. Looking towards the others, she briefly thought about the options that were here. 

To start with, it was likely that it was going to have to be another girl staying with her for obvious reasons. But even beyond that, it didn't seem like Madelyn liked Reinaan very much - and perhaps the other way around was true as well - and she didn't think Damien and her would get along over extended periods of time either. Then there was Lindow who had met her under less than ideal circumstances and Ryia wasn't exactly sure about leaving the man with her for other reasons.

Which left her and Keres, for more reason than one. Normally she didn't think it would matter  one way or another, but ever since meeting Madelyn Ryia couldn't help but feel a bit concerned for the Water Chosen. She didn't why, but it felt like the girl was just generally uncomfortable around her. And while Ryia found her bluntness slightly off-putting, it wasn't if Ryia had any real problems with the Light Mage herself. So, stepping up the girl said, "uh...well, I guess if we need someone to stay over with her then, uh...Well, I'm fine with it." She couldn't help but feel embarrassed as she said this, though, being the one to deny the offer in the first place. 

The group walked with Madelyn to the establishment she claimed to be staying at. And for some reason she seemed intent on promoting it. While Reinaan could very much understand enjoying the service an establishment provided, he couldn't think of a need to press upon others to visit them. If this Gold Canary was so great people would just stay at it right? Regardless, the boy had to take a moment to ponder the woman's question of the establishment suited someone like her. If she meant literally then the yellow paint was probably perfect for her. If she meant this to be some fine cultured establishment, well the draken had little context to understand what human women considered to be cultured, respectful or proper given the two he was traveling with had both been fine to sleep in an inn that stunk of fish. Apparently Ryia at least had been considering his idea as she offered to stay with Madelyn. The boy regretted bringing it up but couldn't deny the sense of the matter.

"We should probably all get a room here then. Or at least somewhere a bit closer. Splitting up the group could be dangerous given how..." Reinaan trailed off. Was he really going to admit it to the group? The wound to his ego would be irreparable. "How strong a single minotaur is." And with those words he conceded he was not nearly so up to the task of minotaur wrestling as he had been when they first set out toward the tower they had found Madelyn at. He seemed almost downcast as though he had already admitted defeat against any future minotaur encounters.

"What everyone decides is ultimately on them. As for me, I know how to find the place now so I think I'm gonna go looking around town." The boy remained intentionally vague. For what exactly he hoped to find even he couldn't be sure. He wanted to get stronger and thought surely a large city like this must have the key to a quick strengthening. Though any sort of single day fix to the problem of not being able to out-brawn a minotaur would surely be a hoax or else so expensive he couldn't afford it. But that wouldn't stop him from trying. Maybe he would search for another draken in the town. Someone with experience in these things and how best to fight them.

Madelyn pouted at the reaction, or rather lack thereof, that the group gave to the building. She had hoped for them to be impressed but it seemed they didn't even care!

"uh...well, I guess if we need someone to stay over with her then, uh...Well, I'm fine with it."

"Don't say it like it's a chore." Madelyn complained. "You should be happy to get to stay here. Especially if you intend to staying with me. Which, by the way, you haven't even asked me yet. Talk about rude." She blew some hair out of her face and crossed her arms.

Reinaan then interjected and, again, gave Madelyn the impression they were doing this out of practicality instead of desire. "I don't think you all understand just how grand this place is compared to the rest. It has a hot spring. Hot. Spring. Nowhere this far from the volcanoes have such a thing."

Reinaan then announced he was heading off and she threw her hands up. "Oh fine whatever." She looked at Ryia and Keres and, seemingly combining the two of them into one, pointed to them both and gestured for her to follow. "You're coming with me." She stated.

Keres gave Ryia a look that, while blank, had a sense of surprise about it. She was reluctant yet resolved and after a moment of hesitation followed along after Madelyn into the inn.

The inside which seemed to be covered in carpeting, a rarity in these parts, and as they walked they noticed workers moving to clean said carpet as they went.

Said workers, as well as some other people who were no doubt staying there, looked almost appalled at the others that followed Madelyn in. Though when they saw the light mage they cringed and decided not to bother.

Damien cast a side-long glance at Lindow. "Notice she didn't invite us to follow? What do you think captain diplomat, thinking about checking the place out?"

---

Reinaan's quest was marginally more difficult than he'd hoped. He couldn't see scale nor tail of any other Draken through his initial search. He couldn't, of course, sweep the entire city but it seemed his kind were not common in this area. He did get plenty of people pointing him out though likely because of this. Though they didn't seem to be frightened or surprised, given how used to minotaurs many of them were, and instead they seemed curious.

Finally he found someone who may know something or two about strength. He was a rather large human. With muscles bigger than his bald head. The man was shirtless and seemed to be hammering in fence posts with a gloved hand alone. When Reinaan approached to ask about minotaurs he turned to him and Reinaan saw the pencil-thin mustache on his face and equally thin eyebrows were the only hair on the man's body that the young Draken could see.

"Fight a minotaur you say? Why would you go and do that? Well...supposing you do....and not saying I have. I'm a law-abiding citizen. No drunk brawls for me no no no." He seemed very intent on stressing this fact as his eyes darted over towards an uninterested man who seemed to be overseeing the work.

"The thing is. They're natural fighters. Give em a weapon and there's not much you can do to stop em...But they don't see so good you know. So long as you don't get hit well, not much they can do to ya then!" His proud expression faded quickly and he reiterated "Not that I've fought anyone ever before."

Lindow gave a wince as if burnt by Damien’s gest. He met man’s glance with a shrug before following a little bit behind the three girls. “There weren’t any doubts that you’d follow, sergeant libertine.” 

Despite the fact that he was skeptical about the minotaur actually trying to make a move on them in town, he had no objections when it came to making use of this building’s luxuries when given the opportunity. As long as the party had their cards, they were living off the mage council’s gold anyway.  The way he saw it; if death was around every corner, they may as well live comfortable whenever their journey permitted... 

Upon stepping foot inside, Lindow let out whistle as his boots tracked a fresh dirt over the newly cleaned carpet. “I can certainly see why you wanted return to this place.” He called over to Madelyn whilst glancing back to see his footprints had already been swept away by the workers. 

“We should probably ask the management about that corpse from the council while we’re here as well.” This time he spoke to Keres in particular. His eyes lingered on her back as recalled her connection to the vampire that claimed to see the future the very first time they arrived in town. “Hannah, right? If she was staying anywhere in town, it’d be here.”  

Edited by Hollow

Ryia nervously looked away from Madelyn as she commented on how Ryia had referred to staying with her. All the same, she followed after the girl and thankfully it seemed that everyone else was coming along with, barring Reinaan who seemed to want to go shopping. Ryia herself felt like there was something she needed to buy, but also felt that it would be better to just follow along the light mage to see her hotel. That and both she and Keres were being ushered in by the girl. Ryia looked to Keres slightly apologetically as it seemed she was also being dragged along but still glad that her friend was with her. 

Her positivity wasn't really maintained as they walked into the lavish looking inn. Ryia could seldom remember the last time she had seen such a carpet on the floor of such a - relatively - unimportant building. She also couldn't but feel some form of familiar scorn - a feeling she hadn't gotten in quite some time since starting their journey - from the inn staff as they looked at her. She was glad they didn't make too much more of a fuss, but started to feel even more uncomfortable than she had been just looking at the place. This time, it was Ryia who felt like gravitating more towards the water mage, though she was now preoccupied by Lindow. And so she kept pace with the light mage instead, hoping that whatever off putting aura she had with the staff was enough to keep them from looking at her anymore then they were.

"Well, uh, this is certainly a um nice looking place. For sure. Yes." The girl was now incredibly self conscious of how little confidence she was speaking with, as Madelyn had pointed out earlier, which only caused her to feel even worse about the exchange. Trying to pick up the small talk she asked, "so uh...how long have you been staying. Here, that is." 

That Draken weren't commonly seen in the town was at once expected and frustrating to Reinaan. The more people he approached the more he realized he'd need to be changing his questions. Many were curious to see him due to his kind's scarcity in the area so instead of looking for another scaled brother he began asking about strong men. This search proved more fruitful as several people could think of a very strong human man that wouldn't involve the boy combing through the entire city. What the Fire Chosen eventually found surprised him. He hadn't seen muscles quite that large on a human before. The lack of hair and shirt also appealed to him. Hair was gross anyway but he was clearly proud of his body and wanted it to be seen. Perhaps Reinaan was simply projecting of course. Still, he approached and inquired if he had experience fighting minotaurs.

"They don't see well huh..." Reinaan repeated as he pondered the advice given. "So if you don't fight anyone, how'd you manage to get those muscles?" The boy asked next. He eyed the man up and down again thinking of all the fighting that he surely hadn't done in order to be so much bulkier than the average man. His focus then went to the task the man found himself engaged in. Using only a gloved hand for a task any average man would surely use a tool. That seemed like another thing he wanted to be able to do, even if such a task was never necessary back at his village. He could only hope human and draken physiology were similar enough that whatever the great strong human had done would work for him as well.

“Hannah, right? If she was staying anywhere in town, it’d be here.”  

Keres flinched at mention of the name. She glanced over towards Madelyn but the girl was distracted by Ryia and the man at the front desk it seemed. "Yes, that was the name." Keres said without raising her voice. "I...do not know why you want to know more about her." The girl mulled it over and continued, "she's probably gone now...so..." Her response trailed off as she saw Madelyn beckoning her over impatiently. "Ah. Um." She looked away from Lindow awkwardly and moved towards where the two girls were.

Damien cringed as he looked around. "I was starting to like this city, but..." He waved a hand in front of face and turned to Lindow. The smile was back on his face "People sure do like their extravagance don't they?"

-

"so uh...how long have you been staying. Here, that is." 

Madelyn had been about to go to the front desk with her demands when Ryia spoke up. She turned around and, hands on her hips, seemed to think it over. When she spoke it was much louder than Ryia's own voice and many times more forceful. "Well, I'd say...two weeks...no, three? For a while, at least. Usually I don't stay for so long but a job's a job." Under her breath she muttered. "Even a poorly paying one. Damn cows."

She smiled at Ryia widely and patted her on the shoulder. "But you don't have to worry about that. Come on, I'll show you what this place has to offer."

"Hello again. Yes, I'll be bringing this girl, and one other, to my room. You can make some sort of deal for them allI'm sure right? They won't mind sleeping in the broom closet if they have to."

When the man responded, telling her she couldn't just bring people whenever she liked and that she was already several days late on payments, she let out a scandalized gasp and started to argue.

In the middle of it she gestured for Keres to come over and turned back. "Can you not see how in need they are? It's atrocious to make such young ladies live in squalor." She looked towards Ryia. "I shall get you into that hot spring yet." It seemed that the man's refusal had stoked a fire in her.

---

"So if you don't fight anyone, how'd you manage to get those muscles?"

"W-well you know, hard work and...lifting. You build plenty of muscles building fences. Isn't that right, sir?" He said to the scrawny, uninterested man, who waved him off and continued to glower at the fence as though it had insulted him personally.

"Fighting is bad after all. It's a crime and all that. I don't...don't ever get the urge to brawl no not me."

He was sweating more now than he had while working. Wiping at his brow he hesitantly asked "Is that all you needed, young man?"

Ryia gave a bit of an awkward smile at Madelyn as the girl looked back to her. Though she found the girl's bluntness to be a bit off putting she couldn't help but find the insistence she had on the matter of getting them into a hot spring charming. Though she didn't seem to be making any head way by herself, Ryia took a deep breath and decided to step up and help out. "Um, sorry about the uh suddenness of this all. But uh, can more than one person fit in a room?"

"Well, yes, they COULD, though beyond families most just get their own rooms for themselves."

"Ah...I see...well, we're uh, friends here. And all. So would it be fine if we did with uh, Madelyn here. We would be willing to split the cost, if it would be of any help."

The clerk gave Ryia a pitying look "If you insist; it's not my place to tell you not to."

The girl gave the clerk an awkward smile saying, "um...well...thanks..." She'll turn to Madelyn saying, "I think, uh, that's all taken care of. Though, sorry for making that decision...since it's your room and all."

Madelyn seemed too busy glaring at the clerk to notice at first. "Well, as long as you know it's MY room."

The girl let out an awkward chuckle saying, "uh, right. Right. Well, I guess we should uh, look at the room then?" 

"Ah. Um." He couldn’t argue with that. Rolling his eye, he watched Keres patter off to joint the other girls. This Hannah woman claimed to be able to see their futures. But seemed he was the only one with even a shred of interest in learning more about what she had been doing in this town…

He sighed, following the conversation about the rooming situation for as long as he could endure before turning to catch Damien making a face to himself. "I was starting to like this city, but..." He waved a hand in front of face and turned to Lindow with his usual smile in place of the wincing expression he had on moments before. "People sure do like their extravagance, don't they?" 

“Don’t see a lot of carpet out there in the desert, eh?” Lindow smirked, remembering where they had met Damien in the first place. “Rest assured, I’m positive that the other inn will still reek of fish when we pass by tomorrow.”  

For all the muscles on the man before him, Reinaan had assumed there would be more bravado or passion. It seemed clear he did fight, or perhaps used to. The Draken had never built a fence himself but there was a mountain of doubts in his mind that he'd bulk up much at all by making them. Somehow the muscle-bound human seemed almost nervous. If fighting was a crime that perhaps made sense. It felt like they needed to talk in private without the so-called boss in the situation.

"Yeah... that's probably all you can help me with. I'd need someone who actually fights to show me some tricks first hand. But if fighting's illegal I'm out of luck." Reinaan thought aloud, slightly dejected. If ZIiyol's magic really was the only advantage he had over minotaur opponents he would have to accept it. He didn't like it but what else was there to do? It wasn't like he could just let them do whatever they wanted with the gate just for being physically stronger than him. He kicked at the dirt of the road a moment before an idea crossed his mind. The boy leaned in and spoke in a softer tone.

"Unless you know any less than law-abiding establishments in town?"

Reinaan

"I...wouldn't say illegal, outright, but uh...I'm just a working man is all." The working man seemed to be growing more nervous by the second.

"Unless you know any less than law-abiding establishments in town?"

"What? No, of...of course not." He laughed awkwardly. "But, you know, I hear that there are plenty of bars where it's easy to get into a fight..." He straightened up. "That's why I don't go to bars you see! Nope, no alcohol, and certainly no barroom brawls, for this man that's for sure. Ahahaha..."

He slumped down. "Did you need anything else little guy? Maybe about...fences? Or something less...entirely not in my area of expertise such as fighting?"

Lindow

“Don’t see a lot of carpet out there in the desert, eh?”

"The de...ah, yeah, yeah of course." Damien said. He seemed caught off guard but quickly recovered. He smiled a bit at the other part of the statement. "I suppose there's that." He took another look at the people around. Who, now that Madelyn had vanished into one of the other doors, were now more openly judging the two of them. "Say what do you want to know about that council girl anyway? She left right, don't gotta deal with her do you?"

He stretched and let out a groan. "C'mon either we should find a room or get outta here. I'm sure they're itching to toss us out."

The Girl Squad

"Look, gaze upon its grandness!" Madelyn said. She had led them along to her room. Which seemed to be the furthest from the lobby. It also had carpeted floors and the curtains were shimmery and gold-colored. Seemingly made out of silk. There was a single bed-room with one, large, bed, as well as a plush armchair and a two-person couch. A bookshelf with various books on it was on one corner of the room next to a glass table.

And it seemed the room even had its own small kitchen. Which appeared to have not been used at all.

Overall it did seem rather lavish though it also seemed smaller than one might expect. "Truly, fitting of someone like myself." She smiled as she looked around and then back to the other two as if looked for a reaction.

She frowned at Keres. "What is it? Are you not impressed?"

Keres blinked at Madelyn a few times. Truly it was much grander than anywhere she had been in but was that really something to be impressed by? Still, she thought it best to play along. "Yes, of course." She said. Though her face kept the same unemotional look.

"Oh, never mind. You're clearly too base to understand. How about you, er, Ryia right? Surely you must see how impressive this is?"

After the response the girl would declare "So, shall we see to the hot spring now? I would very much like to wash away all this....travel grime." She scrunched her nose at the last.

OOC (All)

Spoiler

Sorry if it's not much. Lemme know what you guys all want to do so I can give you...things to do. Otherwise I'll keep going like this until you all want to wrap up.

Ryia was at a loss for words from the lavishness of the room. The girl wasn't quite sure what she was looking at, both in terms of decor and what some of the materials that made up the decorations were. Even in her travel to the council's tower she hadn't seen such a place that screamed "money" as this, and so it had taken her aback. As the mage had seemed to comment that it was fit for someone like her, Ryia couldn't help but wonder a bit more about the girl. She seemed to be a prolific kind of mage, which seemed important enough, but she couldn't help but wonder if the girl was from some kind of noble lineage or not. 

All the same, Ryia's thoughts were cut off as the woman had brought her comment to her. "Ah, um, yeah. This place is certainly something...rich." Though she hadn't sounded very confident in her response, that was more due to Ryia still being overwhelmed by how much the room likely cost to maintain. Nevermind that the inn was probably full of places like this. She couldn't help but frown, thinking back to her own home for a moment but that didn't last long - as most trains of thought didn't near Madelyn - as the girl urged them to go to the hot springs. Ryia had never been to one herself, only having heard stories, and curiously looked towards Keres momentarily as if trying to gauge the own girl's thoughts. All the same, the girl said, "ah, yeah. Now um, now seems like a good time. So, lead the way."

The idea of going to a bar to get into a fight seemed interesting enough to the Fire Chosen. Already he looked about some to see if any establishments were nearby. Still, something about the way the man had been acting around his boss seemed to imply some sort of past trouble he didn't want to discuss. And given that was all the two had discussed thus far, Reinaan decided to try and help the man restore some amount of normalcy and asked him to show him his fence building technique. And so the Draken tried to feign interest as he watched the man work ever harder at installing the fence posts. He was sure to point out the shape of the bottom of the post, how best to position it into the ground before pounding down on it, and other such things to make sure the fence stood up straight. If nothing else the boy was drawn in by the sheer show of muscle and power as well as the man's general vigor for his profession. Before too long the two parted on friendly terms, the man seemed much more relieved to have been talking about fences instead of fighting.

That left Reinaan searching for a bar. As it happened that wasn't particularly difficult. There were several bars in the town, but the one Reinaan ultimately settled on was well known for the fights the broke out in it. It was called The Molten Melons, and apparently specialized in liquors flavored with the aforementioned melons. Signs outside advertised a drink so spicy it would burn a dragon's mouth which raised the non-existent eyebrows on the draken chosen. The room was packed with various low lives and drunkards. The tension was thick in the air as if people were just waiting for an excuse. No doubt the table with a game of cards going on was the main source of it. Several less than savory looking human men sat about it, giving each other the nastiest glares as they played their cards. Reinaan, a bit confused, stumbled to the bar, he had his bag on him to have his card from the council ready. The bartender turned from looking at the ongoing game to see to his new customer. Seeing a draken he was caught a bit off guard and soon looked the boy up and down before speaking.

"Kinda got this backwards dont ya?" the man asked.

"What do you mean?" Reinaan asked curiously as he got up onto the bar stool.

"Most guys get a few shots first before losing their pants at the card table." he teased with a smirk. "I ain't got the charity in me to hand out free booze to poor fools hitting up another tavern after losing everything."

"I didn't lose anything." Reinaan asserted, a bit annoyed. He pulled up the card from the council. "And I've got the money." This caught the man's attention.

"Heh... well maybe you're the smart one then. Can't lose what you don't got on ya. What'll ya have then?" he asked, eager to get some money.

"People were talking about something..." Reinaan started, trying not to divulge that he couldn't read to say what he wanted. "Something too hot for a dragon."

"Ah the house special. Pretty bold for one your kind to take on the Dragon Slayer." the bartender laughed as he moved to prepare the drink. He mixed so many different things the boy couldn't keep track of it all. But when the drink was set down before him a variety of spices assaulted his nose. Apparently every melon juice available to the bar was also in there but the boy definitely couldn't smell it. Hesitantly Reinaan lifted the drink to his lips and attempted sipping it. Sure enough the mixture was some of the hottest material to ever pass his lips. An odd quality for something in someone who breathed fire regularly. Still, he didn't want to quit and Reinaan forced himself to choke down the whole thing before gasping for breath, sparks of actual flame escaping his mouth as he did so. Reinaan swung his head about some from side to side trying to shake off the pain surging down his throat and into his stomach.

But that didn't stop him from trying to prove himself a more than worthy challenger by ordering two more. With two more painful shots down, Reinaan could feel his face getting hotter as his senses dulled some. He seemed a lot looser than he'd been. Had he really been carrying all that tension? It was nice. Maybe he needed more of these Dragon Slayers. He swayed his tail about casually and was getting ready to tell the bartender his life story when the sensation of something running into and falling over his tail took over his attention.

"Watch where you're going!" a clearly drunken voice assailed Reinaan's ears from behind him. The draken turned about, irritated and not afraid to show it with the buzz he was feelin

"I wasn't going anywhere idiot!" he called back. Almost immediately the man threw a punch at the boy's face which only set a feral rage into motion in him. All at once the bar turned attention from the card table to the bar where the fight had unexpectedly broken out. This seemed the perfect excuse as several other fist fights broke out. Reinaan soon found himself rolling around the floor of the crowded room grappling with and trading blows with the man who had tripped over him. At least Reinaan thought it was the same man. He couldn't be sure really. Several other people had gotten involved. Bruises abounded in the mosh pit as did deep scratches from the boy's flailing claws. 

"Sheriff!!" a call went out. This lot was used to the intervention of the law. The scramble was now from the fights to get out of the way so as to not spend a night in jail. Reinaan didn't entirely understand but a thought went through his mind that he didn't wanna end up like Damien so rather than try to talk things he out he grabbed his things and bailed out a back entrance just as several drunk men started yelling to the sheriff about some damn naked lizard they had been fighting. The fire Chosen began running away from the scene in case the sheriff went looking for him. It was something of a round about path and he stumbled a few times from the alcohol in his system but the boy was fairly certain he was on the way back to the inn Madelyn had shown them. Fairly certain he wasn't being followed the boy relaxed his pace and looked around him for something else to catch his eye short of just meeting back up with the others. If nothing else he could go tell that Madelyn woman a thing or two.

The Girl Squad

Keres wasn't so sure about this "hot spring" thing. It wasn't as though it wasn't intriguing. She had read about various healing properties of heat. But it felt rather...intimate to be sharing a bath with others. She hadn't done that besides with her cat before, and that was a much different experience, and was largely uncomfortable with the thought. Not that she really showed it much at all.

"ah, yeah. Now um, now seems like a good time. So, lead the way."

It seemed that Ryia wanted to go. So Keres decided she should try not to ruin the experience. "Yes, let's check it out." She thought she put some excitement into the words but it would be hard to really tell.

And as such Madelyn let out a sigh. "What kind of girls are you two anyway." She muttered as she head out down the hall. The hall ended in a split. With a sign on the wall with a symbol of steaming water. There was a sign pointing one way for men and one for women. As well as a warming to avoid the "black stones" because they were hot to the touch.

The inside was steamy as they went down the woman's side. They could see the spring through a doorway. It was a large pit filled with water and surrounded by stone. Several large, black, stones were set at either end of the hot spring. Before they went in, though, Madelyn led them down the hall more to a changing room.

"You can deposit your clothes...and that armor, right over there and they'll clean it for you." Madelyn said. "It's not quite like having servants but its the closest thing a place like this could get." Then without any hesitation she began to disrobe.

Keres, turning slightly pink, turned away as she did. Her eyes widened ever so slightly as she said "Is there no...more private rooms?"

"Oh, don't be silly. Just come on, off with it. You, Ryia, why don't you help the girl if she's having trouble."

The Boy Band

Later in the night Damien and Lindow found themselves outside of the inn just in time to see Reinaan making his way, or rather stumbling his way, down the street towards them. The swordsman didn't bother suppressing the snort as he saw how he was moving. "Well, looks like we've got a lightweight on our hands. I bet those people back there would flip if they saw him coming through the doors."

The young man sauntered towards Reinaan. One hand on his side and the other raised to wave at him. "Hey there firecracker. Looks like you had yourself quite the night already. You weren't gone for THAT long, were you?"

He glanced over at Lindow. "Think he needs some help?"

Spoiler

I know that there's some timing issues here but, Hollow, feel free to have dialogue and such leading up to Reinaan showing up and then respond to this.

Ryia glanced away from Madelyn uncomfortably as she was admonished before following the girl towards the hot spring. Once there, Ryia could feel the sweat start form across her brow as the heat and steam was practically everywhere in the room they had gone to. Boiling in her own armor, she nodded - also in a bit of some awe at the prospect of someone else cleaning her armor and clothing for her - and didn't take much time to take it off. Following Madelyn's lead, Ryia disrobed without much issue though looked towards Keres as the girl seemed to be having trouble. Walking over to her, the girl asked, "is everything alright, Keres?"

Keres looked downward as Ryia approached. "I'm not used...to this."

Giving a bit of an embarrassed smile, Ryia said, "yeah, same. I've never been to a hot spring either. But uh, I've heard it's like a more calming bath."

Keres looked up at Ryia and seemed somewhat confused then "Not what I meant." And clutched at her robe.

Ryia exchanged a confused look as well. She wasn't quite sure what it was that Keres was having trouble with if it wasn't just the initial shock of the area they were in. However, as she noticed that the girl had problems with her clothes. Thinking back to it, Ryia didn't know much about Keres but it had seemed like she had lived alone. Wanting to see if her suspicions were correct, Ryia looked back towards Keres. "Oh, do you have any siblings Keres? Uh, sorry if I'm prying."

Keres shook her head.

"Ah." Well that settled that. Walking over, the girl grabbed a towel, covering herself with it. Handing one to Madelyn, the girl made a gesture as if to say, "you too." Walking over to Keres she handed one saying, "here you go."

Madelyn rolled  her eyes. "Sheesh, what are we children?" But wrapped herself in it as well.

Keres wordlessly took the towel and awkwardly tried to hold it in front of her while taking off her robe.

Ryia gave a small glare towards Madelyn, before smiling to Keres. Then once she was done she said, "do you want to go in now?"

"Sure." She said, giving a slight, relieved, sigh. 

"About time. Thankfully it's not like a normal bath else it would be cold by now."

Ryia had gone in with the other two following after her. "Don't bring the towels into the water. No point in a bath if you're covered up while you're in it."

Nodding, the girl will take it off before submerging herself in water. Letting out a sigh of relief as she felt the warmth of the water. Though it was obvious, the girl was still shocked by the fact asking, "wow it's - the water's  still hot. And no one just filled it, right?"

Madelyn let out a sigh as she put her arms up and leaned against the side. "Correct. It's just always hot like this." She glanced over by Keres. "What is she...doing?" Keres had gone in and was off to the side. It looked as though she was moving a small amount of water back and forth and muttering as she watched how it moved.

Smiling at the sight Ryia said, "she thinks about a lot of things. And this is probably new to her so, well." Ryia lightly moved some water with her hand, an embarrassed smile on her face as she looked at Madelyn.

Madelyn raised an eyebrow, "You say that like she's your child or something." She noted.

"Eh?" Pausing in shock, Ryia stopped to think for a moment. Once again, Madelyn had pointed something out to her that she hadn't realized before. Well, it wasn't like she thought of Keres as her daughter - that would've been beyond ridiculous. But she couldn't argue that she felt some kind of kinship with the water chosen, and she couldn't also help but feel very defensive on the girl's behalf. It was something closer to what she felt with her siblings, especially the younger ones. So something close to a younger sister? Of course, calling someone who wasn't related you as a "younger sister" felt beyond mortifying to the girl. Especially since she wasn't really sure how Keres felt all about this as well. So, waving her hand dismissively towards Madelyn, still embarrassed, Ryia simply stated the obvious dumbly. "Sh-she isn't. We're just friends. Is all."

"Of course she isn't, you're not that old." She leaned back and stared at the ceiling. "Bit defensive aren't you? Why don't you relax a bit, that's why we're here."

Letting out a defeat sigh, sinking deeper into the water before resting her neck against the wall of the tub the girl simply muttered, "r-right."

Lindow noted Damien’s strange behavior but figured there was no merit in trying to drag any information out the man. They all had their secrets after all, and he was far more interested in his companion’s weapon, than whatever he was hiding about himself. 

"Say what do you want to know about that council girl anyway? She left right, don't gotta deal with her, do you?” And now it was his turn to be secretive. 

Shrugging, Lindow responded causally whilst watching the girls wander off deeper into the building. “Who knows. We have reason to believe that the council may not actually have the success of our mission at heart… so we may very well end up having to deal with them at some point.” He felt a small smile creep in at the thought. “I guess I figured it might shed some light on that if we knew what she was up to whilst she was here.” It wasn’t a complete lie, but he was sure to leave out his desire to know more about what future she saw for him in the other Chosen. 

When Damien mentioned that they should probably begin making their own moves for the evening, Lindow nodded before glancing back at the doorway. “Sure, let’s see if we can find young Reinaan first though.” His gut told him that it would be much smoother if all three of them purchased their room at the same time. 

Evidently this was the right move. Upon seeing Reinaan belligerently stumbling down the street towards them, Lindow let out a chuckle before following behind Damien. 

"Hey there firecracker. Looks like you had yourself quite the night already. You weren't gone for THAT long, were you?" Whilst the other man poked fun at the lad, Lindow looked the boy over a few times. 

He had clearly been in a fight. One would have to hope nothing too serious, seeing as young Draken was much stronger than he looked- which was saying something considering his scaly appearance. Lindow couldn’t help but glance back behind his companion to be sure that there weren’t any burnt or mangled corpses in the street… Luckily it seemed that if there were any victims, they were well hidden or safely disposed of in Reinaan’s belly. Which meant at the very least they wouldn’t be paying another visit to the town’s holding cells. 

"Think he needs some help?" Damien’s inquiry pulled Lindow from his musings. 

He replied with a smirk, moving to support Reinaan on his shoulder to begin the process of dragging him into the expensive inn. “You’re clearly rubbing off on him.” Lindow let out another laugh as the familiar scent of booze and spices tickled his nose. “I’ll handle the room arrangements, just be sure that the future Chosen of Hangovers doesn’t relieve himself on the carpet.”