LordCowCow

The Chosen [IC / Not Accepting / PG-16]

With the reptilian monster lying against the tree, it had seemed still ready to fight the others. Seeing it started to go from its slumping position to instead a fall, Ryia started to back away the creature so as not to be eaten by its falling snapping maw. However, her eyes widened as she realized that not everyone was clear of the fall area. "Damien!" Shouting out to the man, he didn't seem to notice at first and so rather than continuing her retreat, Ryia ran forward and shoved him out of the path. This in turn left the dinosaur more near Ryia, the girl gulping as the large face was far too close for comfort for her. Backpedaling, the girl made her retreat away from the snapping maw and the beast turned its attention back to Damien. This time, however, the boy was more cognizant of the danger he was in and managed to avoid the beast's bite.

As the large reptile collapsed onto the ground, not able to support itself again, Ryia noticed that Reinaan's polearm was still stuck in its neck. Thinking her sword was a poor weapon for the job here, the girl dropped it to the ground as she ran over to the beast's throat. Grabbing Reinaan's halberd and freeing it, holding it closer to the place like a very awkwardly long hafted axe, the Earth Chosen then went to bring the blade down on its neck. Sinking deeper into the wound that Reinaan had previously created, the creature gurgled and roared as it continued to struggle against the attack. Thrashing its head around, seemingly intent on knocking the girl away, it was met with something solid though likely not what it was expecting. 

Madelyn, grumbling about how brutish her methods had been against this creature, had created a barrier to pin its head in place, keeping Ryia safe from the attack. Free to go for one more strike, Ryia dislodged the blade from the wound before bringing the weapon down for last fatal strike. The girl let out a sigh of relief, pulling the weapon out as the creature was finally killed, looking around to make sure everyone else was alright. 

"Whew" Madelyn slumped against a tree. Then, with a grimace, pushed herself off and brushed off her robes. "Next time do try and do these things in a way that I don't have to be so...brutish with my magic." she said, sounding out of breath.

Damien also got up and adjusted himself after having fallen over. He nodded at Ryia, "Thanks, strong yet beautiful as ever I see." he smiled at her but his smile looked strained as he looked over the fallen lizard.

For her part Keres was also looking over the lizard but she seemed more curious than anything else. If anyone were close enough they could hear her quietly muttering about the beast's traits she had observed as though trying to memorize everything about it before moving on. As she did this the Chosen would see her spirit appear beside her and let out a low "ooooh" sound.

"It's really big isn't it? I didn't know lizards could get this big. Does this mean you could get this big too?" it asked Keres, floating too close for most's comfort.

She didn't seem bothered and just shook her head, "No, if I were to grow to this size my body would likely just collapse in on itself."

Flux then said, loud enough to hear, "What about him? He's lizard-y too and he's already grown a few inches since we started do you think he'll get this big?"

Keres blinked a few times slowly as she processed the question. She looked over at Reinaan. It was true that he had been steadily growing but he still was in perfectly in line for his race. In fact she had seen some much larger than him. Though none on the level as this creature.

All this went through her mind as she stared at him and, when she realized she had been staring, she looked away. "Probably not." Keres said, which seemed to disappoint Flux.

"Hate to interrupt...whatever it is you're doing." Damien said. "But we should get going before an adult one shows up."

Madelyn reacted first to what he had said. "Excuse me? So this thing is, what, a baby?"

"Not quite. Its not a child but it is young. The older ones are even bigger and...more spiny. I'm sure this one isn't the biggest around and we should get far away before a bigger one shows up. Trust me you don't want to deal with a fully grown one."

As they got ready to head out again Madelyn announced that she would be riding the mule the rest of the way. "I think my feet deserve some rest do you not?"

While setting out Damien gave them another warning "We should set up camp before sundown, and set a watch, this place can get...weird at night."

Spoiler

So yeah, the battle is won, but no time to rest just yet. We can go as long as you wish. If you want discussion or investigation or whatever on the move that's fine. If you want to move to night time camp setting that's fine too. It'd be suggested people keep watch in twos so if you guys want to figure out who watches with who and do night-watch scenes that's okay as well. In fact even if we don't get to them now we should probably do those scenes at some point, and get info of what you do or don't see during it, either way.

"Ah, no uh, no problem." The girl rubbed the back of her head as Damien gave his thanks to her, glancing to him and then away in embarrassment at the comment. Though the girl thought something was off in that brief glance, she didn't really think more on it as the topic shifted to the beast that they had just faced. The girl gulped as she realized what kind of terrors still must've lived in this jungle, if this was simply a young of its kind. She also didn't want to think about how much weirder this place could get for that matter either. 

With needing to go find a new place to set up camp being the topic, the girl thought about it for a minute. There were no roads to speak of and not much in ways of civilization here outside of the lycans and elves, both of which seemed like very off limit places to be near to begin with. Ryia didn't know if they had entered a particularly dangerous part of the forest either, but it didn't seem so to her, and yet they were still beset by the reptilians that lived here. With not much knowledge on where a better place to set up would be, the girl simply said, "well um, I guess we should uh, leave here first. Because well..." She figured being near the corpses would only do to harm them through the night. 

Before moving on, though, the girl walked over to Reinaan, holding out his halberd to him. "Uh, here you go. Thanks for uh..." Normally one would thank for a follow up or assist, but in this case she was the follow up, so after pausing awkwardly in silence the girl said, "it was really helpful." 

Hearing both Ryia and Damien express that they were ready to pull out from the area, Lindow quickly went to retrieve his arrows before approaching Damien. 

"Before we get going..." Fixing his gaze on the fellow swordsman, Lindow watched Damien closely as he spoke. "It's obvious that you've spent a lot time in these parts, but you seem to only pipe up when we're dealing with the wildlife. Why is that? We're all friends, right?! How about we get know each other a little better."

"Oh?" Damien replied with a smirk on his face, "I don't remember ever saying we were friends, what a pleasant surprise."

Already expecting such a response, Lindow simply tiled his head to the side and cooed in a pleasant tone. "Does it have anything to do with that blade of yours? I couldn't help but notice how tight you hold on to it..." It was rather obvious that the magic blade held a great significance Damien. It was a shot in the dark, but the only thread for Lindow to tug at given the man's clear reservations about revealing his connection to the forest.

"I just don't want to lose it in all this mess, wouldn't do for some animal to drag it off, right?"

"Heh," Lindow felt his lips curl into wicked smirk. He felt a tinge of excitement as he pictured crossing swords with man in front of him. "and here I thought you loved animals." Shrugging it off, Lindow moved on. "Well, if you don't feel like sharing I suppose thats fine..." Anymore pressing would likely be fruitless. "which directions should we head now, friend?" The shift in conversation seemed to cause Damien's posture relax sligtly. He had managed to hide it quite well up untill then, but that brief change was enough to tell Lindow that the man had just been tense. 

"I'm guessing you'll want to head towards the center." Damien offered whilst nodding in a direction. 

"Alrighty then." Lindow let out a yawn, silently resolving to keep an even closer eye on Damien for now on. 

Edited by Hollow

The Fire Chosen's approach to the injured beast was cut short as his own weapon in an ally's hands dealt the killing blow. Still it took Reinaan's body a moment to slow down and ultimately stop as he studied the corpse for several moments longer to be sure it was actually over. This might have gone on indefinitely had he not felt the sensation of being watched yet when he looked around there was no one staring at him directly. Regardless it was enough to let him relax his stance, slouch his shoulders and breathe a little deeper. Information offered by Damien informed the boy this beast was only something of an adolescent and the adults were larger and spinier. It was enough to make the draken think of the growing he still had to do and almost elicited feelings of sympathy for having cut this one's journey short. An unfortunate fate to be sure. But not one he could dwell on as the group needed to find a safe place to make camp or else they might never stop fighting things like this. First however, Ryia had come to present his weapon to him.

"You handled it pretty well." Reinaan half-laughed at the girl's awkwardness in just trying to thank him for losing his weapon in the middle of the fight. But rather than draw it out for her he happily lifted the weapon out of her hands and began looking it over for any damage it might have taken. "Nice to know I can trust you with a polearm in a pinch. Maybe I should figure out shields and stuff sometime." the boy mused now content with the state of his weapon. The first step to getting a good spot to rest was getting the mounts out of hiding. The lizard and mule weren't terribly hard to find among the trees after Reinaan finished unspinning himself around from the fight to remember where they were. Kloqah for her part seemed almost in awe of her small lizard once she saw the dead very much larger lizards about. With Damien's advice the boy stood ready to lead the caravan deeper into the woods.

"Here we are." Damien said suddenly after they had traveled the woods, going through even thicker clusters of trees, some that made it hard for the mule and cart to travel which made their travel slower, for some time.

Madelyn looked around with a raised eyebrow. "Here where, exactly? I thought you said we should find a clearing to rest at. This doesn't look much like a clearing to me."

Keres had to agree with her assessment. Sure there were less trees here but that wasn't saying much. There was a small T-shaped area with less brush than other places they've seen for a while but even with that it looked like they'd not be able to set up a true camp. At best they had a few spots they could lay down that didn't have a tree in the way.

Damien shrugged. "It's best we're going to get. The sun is getting real low and it wouldn't be a good idea to travel at night. We'd likely stumble into things that can see much better than you and everyone seems pretty worn out. I doubt we'll find much better if we keep going."

Madelyn grumbled but didn't see any reason to argue. So they all proceeded to, best they could, set up something of a camp.

Once it came time to rest Damien once again chimed in. Giving the advice to set watches in pairs due to "always good to have a second pair of eyes to make sure you're seeing what you're seeing."

Eventually the watch was decided. With Keres, despite being clearly tired, offering to join Damien on first watch. Claiming that she was used to sleeping at a later hour than most anyway.

And so began their first night in the forest. Before everyone went to rest Damien warned them again that "While you're watching it's likely something will be watching you as well."

The first watch, Keres and Damien, was mostly uneventful. They could hear howling off in the distance which seemed to put Damien on alert but the howling only grew quieter as the night went on. He did warn the next duo about it though and told them an ominous "There aren't any normal wolves in this forest."

Keres didn't say anything as she went to rest herself. However she did cast a concerned look Ryia's way as Ryia prepared for her watch with Lindow. As Keres curled up into a ball, which seemed her preferred way to sleep, she tried to remember everything that she had read about nocturnal forest creatures.

To her dismay everything she remembered were not even close to relaxing. It was going to be a long night.

Second Watch: Lindow and Ryia

Darkness had truly settled by the time that Lindow and Ryia woke up. They had no consistent means of light beyond the small fire that Damien warned not to let grow too large, to avoid unwanted attention, so they had to stay near it if they wanted to avoid losing sight of each other.

They too could occasionally hear a howl but it seemed far off by now. The other sounds of the forest, while more prevalent than when they first entered the forest, seemed subdued still.

Yet it seemed nothing eventful would happen...until Lindow caught notice of something. If it weren't so dark he may have missed it but as it was he saw a small figure, perhaps a bit smaller than a human, move between a couple trees. Had it been a normal black on black figure he likely would have not seen anything but there was a slight grayish glow around the figure which made a contrast against the dark forest.

However after the initial view of it, when he tried to look closer, he could no longer see it.

OOC Everyone Please Read

Spoiler

So, bit of odd situation since only two people are awake. So we'll probably have to go watch by watch unless something happens that'd wake others up, which hasn't happened yet. I'll say now that if you do have to wake others before their watch that they won't be rested for next day and that might factor into things. So keep that in mind.

Though if the others want to do posts with characters thinking over things, dreaming, pre-rest stuff, etc, that'd be fine too.

Anyway, specifically for Hollow and Skaia. If you want to have discussion before or after this that's fine this is just an event that will occur as well at some point during the watch.

And as always if any actions and reactions or more details are needed ask

Lindow seem at ease despite Damien's warning, and the howling that could be heard off in the distance. The darkness was never an issue for the Thunder Chosen. Even before he made a living creeping in witch country, the man was forced to be a denizen of the night the moment his parents abandoned him. Silently, he took in the sounds the forest, whilst scanning the perimeter from their small pocket of light. It was far from exciting, but at he very least he'd have first dibs on any locals that came out to play. 

"Do you think it's a woman?" Lindow still had sleep in his voice when he finally broke the silence. "the reason our guide is so reluctant to talk about his connection to this place, I mean." He took moment to glance at Ryia. As far as he could tell, she was the chosen that had spent the most time with Damien. Perhaps the other man let something slip when they were alone. "He's always got something to say to you. So I figure you may have some insight." 

Ryia was certainly on edge as they went into the night. Both with Damien's warning about the wolves and the strength of the young creature that they had fought before made Ryia that much more aware of how dangerous a place they were in. More so than anywhere else they had been thus far. And so she kept her eyes peeled for any wolf-like monsters or gigantic lizard monsters that would threaten them while the group was trying to rest. Her partner in this endeavor was Lindow, which if nothing else the man seemed to always have his eyes peeled for danger - for better or worse - so she at least took some solace in that. 

The two of them simply sat there for the first part of their watch, dead silent between them as Lindow hadn't spoken up and Ryia didn't have the faintest idea of what to talk about with the swordsman. This was broken, however, as Lindow made the first comment. "Eh?" Shocked both by the suddenness of it and the words themselves, Ryia's eyes darted around the woods looking for any strange women-like figure that might've been there. She calmed down, though, as he further elaborated. "Oh...well um, he hasn't mentioned one, if it is." As she said that, the girl thought back to their first meeting, and more specifically when the two were left alone. Her brow furrowed as she remembered the relentless teasing he had put her through, alongside pointing a sword to her neck. "And I uh, don't think he's too concerned about...that kind of uh, stuff..." Thinking back earlier to that very conversation, though, the girl added, "oh but I uh, I think he likes animals? So, well uh, maybe it has something to do with weird animals or something?" 

Lindow listened intently as Ryia took her time answering his question. It felt as if this was the first time the two of them had ever spoken alone. The slight pauses between her words seemed far more pronounced without the rest of the group's chatter sprinkled in. He found himself trying and failing to predict when the next "uh" would land, realizing that there was no discernible pattern to the girl's cadence. 

"Weird animals or something." Lindow repeated with a smirk as if trying out the words for himself. She seemed to think that whatever the other man was keeping from them was more likely to be about some kind of animal than a woman. "Heh, maybe." He pictured Damien being handed his beloved blade after tender night with one the horrors of the forest. As amusing it was, the former merc had seen men cling to trinkets just as had Damien many times before.

"It seems like he wouldn't be content unless he died with that sword in his hands. Makes me wonder why- or better yet, who gave it him." He continued whilst peering off into the tree line. "I mean... I kind of get it. It's a lovely blade, ya know. Elven style, and it even seems to have some kind of magic to it as well! I wanna say the enchantment lies in the scabbarded... or maybe some kind of curse?" The thunder chosen sighed longingly at the thought of delving into the sword's esoteric abilities himself.  "Um, anyway..." Aware that he was about start gushing, he quickly doubled back to his point. "You should ask him about it sometime. If he's connected to the elves then that would be handy information to know."

Moments later a figure caught his gaze as it moved between a couple trees. It seemed to be smaller than a man, with slight gray hue that made contrast against the darkness it prowled through. "Just spotted something." Lindow spoke clearly as his eye began scanning the surrounding trees for another glimpse of what he just saw. Scooping up a rock, the man paused for few second. Counting paces in his head, Lindow suddenly shifted his body and snapped his arm out to toss the stone a little ways head of the path that whatever he saw seemed to be taking. A literal shot in the dark, but maybe it would be enough to coax anything stalking them out of hiding. 

The girl was a bit surprised by the sudden turn in conversation, less towards Damien's past and more so towards Lindow's fascination towards his sword. She definitely thought the weapon was unique, to say the least, but hadn't given it much thought before now. Though even now she wasn't all that interested in it. Being unable to stop herself from letting out a nervous chuckle as Lindow pivoted to seeing if she could get information about the elves from Damien. "I uh, hadn't thought about that, actually." She also hadn't known that his sword was elven in make to begin with. "I'll uh - I'll see if I can. Get any info, and stuff." As she agreed to this, the girl briefly wondered why he was asking this of her specifically thinking that she was the least likely to get a straight answer from the man and didn't even know how to go about asking in the first place. But, before she could continue this train of thought, it was interrupted by Lindow tossing a rock into the darkness, 

Looking in that direction, the girl noticed some rustling in the bushes as well. Squinting towards the area, she eventually saw what appeared to be a woman in a hood with a faint glow around her walking in the forest. The girl gulped at the sight, wondering what another person could possibly be doing out and about at this time, here. If it was an elf then it probably would be best to talk to them and get information from them and try to explain themselves, hoping it wouldn't lead to any hostilities between them. If it was another traveler then it was probably very dangerous for them to just be traveling by themselves at this time of night. And if it weren't those two things then it was probably...Ryia shivered at the thought but tried to stay optimistic. "U-um, h-hello?" The girl called out to the figure. 

The figure stopped, without responding. Instead, it turned to look at Ryia's direction, causing the girl to gulp once again as it started to wander deeper into the woods. While the girl was certainly curious about what this figure was doing and where it was going, she was firmly rooted in place, terrified of actually following it. Instead, she tried to speak with it again saying, "a-are uh...are you lost?" The figure stopped moving, and after a bit it seemed to vanish completely from sight. Breathless for a moment, unsure of how to feel, the girl let out a deep sigh before asking aloud, "what do you uh, think that was?"

Lindow was still peering out into the darkness when Ryia asked for his opinion on what had just happened. "Well..." Scratching the back of his head, the man sighed before slouching back down, clearly disappointed by what they had spotted. "It looked like a ghost." He said with a bored expression. Phenomena such as this wasn't so foreign to him. The ranks of the Abyss Seekers were filled with tales of similar specters. Ghastly maidens appearing just outside the light of the fire, hopping to coax their lonely victims into the darkness. He had never seen one himself however...

"But it's more likely some kind of creature's trick." The thunder chosen was pouting slightly. "Think about it... moments after I caught something stalking around camp, we see that women taking a stroll. Unless there's a pub nearby, I'd say the amount of traffic is unnatural, right?" Lazily scooping up another stone, Lindow paused for a moment before chucking it into the darkness where the mysterious woman had appeared.

"How boring." He called out to the shadows around their camp "Do you speak the common tongue, thing? Don't be such a coward. Come out and fight me!" His tone was sweet, as if calling a beloved pet to come play. Though his body language seemed relaxed, Lindow fingers danced impatiently atop the hilt of blade that rested at his side. 

Edited by Hollow

Only silence answered Lindow's taunting call out of the strange figure who had vanished. Beyond the sound of the flames, an occasional distant animal noise, and their own breathing the forest was quiet as it had been before the woman's arrival.

They watched for some time before they had to come to the conclusion that whoever, whatever, it was wasn't going to respond. And so they spent the rest of their watch waiting to see if something more would happen only to find their vigilance wasn't necessary.

Which, perhaps was a good thing. Their watch finished relatively uneventful which only meant they had survived it unscathed.

Third Watch: Reinaan and Madelyn

At first the watch seemed uneventful. It was almost pitch dark at the start but as time went on it grew slightly more light. It helped that both of their magics could provide light if need be. However even so eventually the darkness encroached on them as they stood, or sat, around watching the forest for anything unusual.

Reinaan could hear noises now and then. Some sort of animals moving around. But nothing seemed to be approaching them.

However both of them would eventually feel something which Madelyn noted out loud as a feeling of being watched.

Reinaan would be able to see shapes in the trees around them. They seemed fairly small but it was hard to tell for sure as they didn't stay in one spot for long. Moving swiftly between branches.

Every now and then light from the makeshift camp would cause their eyes, which appeared to be rather large, shine and they could tell that the creatures were indeed watching them intently without looking away.

Suddenly Madelyn spoke up, "Was there a noise?"

At the same time Reinaan would notice there was movement closer towards the bottom of one of the trees. One of the creatures was, slowly, moving in the direction of the cart.

Spoiler

So if Lindow and Ryia wanna talk more before sleeping you can do so still and if they have anything to say to reinaan and madelyn before third watch starts make note of that.

Doggo if you want interaction with Madelyn before (and you can have during and after too) stuff happens you can let me know this is just to be sure you have something to do. In fact if you don't want to respond to this stuff yet you can wait some posts of talking before it's up to you.

At the second watch's conclusion, Reinaan was awoken by the others for his turn. His and Madelyn's turn actually. It wasn't an exciting thought given her, to him, baseless distaste of him. But the time alone together might give him a chance to rile her up as payback. The boy went and readied his halberd, half to lean on at first as he woke up. He took to yawning and issuing some frankly inhuman groans as he tried to rouse his faculties. The next step was stretching to be ready to fight if something wanted to. It was at this point he first turned to Madelyn.

"Nice of the chosen life to stay glamorous for our new friend." he teased. The forest floor surely was nothing like the gaudy inns she preferred to stay in. The mage for her part seemed very grumpy, whether entirely for the comment or not Reinaan was unsure.

"One must make the best of any situation they're thrust into." she responded with whatever dignity she could muster.

"You must have found all the good rocks then." Reinaan said, not teasing nearly so badly this time. "I'm gonna be picking grass and dirt out of my scales all day." he said grumbling and taking a moment to try and brush himself off. She gave him a grossed out look but then stiffly walked over to a better spot to set watch.

"Yes well I suppose that's what happens when you don't wear any clothing." She remarked. So that was part of why she didn't like him. With how little his companions commented on it the boy had nearly forgotten people didn't tend to approve.

"The price of comfort and freedom." he sighed dramatically as he took his own position. "But I guess fancy schools don't have the time to teach that kind of stuff. All those books."

"I wouldn't exactly call it fancy." she muttered, then, rubbing at her eyes, said "Though it does worry me you equate books with fanciness."

"Not like I can read 'em to check so it's more fun to think all that stuff's exciting. At least I hope humans don't sit around doing stuff they think is boring." Reinaan replied, all too proud almost of his illiteracy.

"Not everything is about having fun you know, hmph, but I suppose that's something you just don't understand." Madelyn replied. Reinaan read a lot of contempt into it that maybe wasn't there.

"Hope I never have to." He muttered as silence set over the watch. Silence except for the various noises about the woods. Nothing immediately was out of the ordinary. Or at least nothing was immediately approaching them. But eventually that changed. Sounds concentrated in the branches, the occasional flashes of eyes giving away the watchers. Madelyn's own remark was after Reinaan had caught on but he was quick to confirm there was indeed a sound.

"They're moving in the trees." he responded succinctly. A noise slightly louder took precedence as something was scurrying down one of the trees toward the cart of the group's supplies. Reinaan moved to intercept and came face to face with what the creatures about them were. A strangely small primate stood before him, not bigger than a normal house cat. However it's legs and tail were more reptilian in structure and its eyes were big and dark. Bigger almost than they seemed to need to be, at least as the draken was concerned. The creature was attempting to reach into one of their bags which the boy didn't see as needing violence but should probably be discouraged. With the shaft of his halberd he rattled on the side of the cart a few times which caused the creature to tense up and scurry underneath after looking at him.

"Think our guests are just hungry, don't look big enough to be much of a threat. Easily startled too." he called to Madelyn while trying to get another look at the one under the cart. She hesitantly got closer.

"Ugh, such a dirty little beast...I hope there aren't too many of them." She said. Reinaan tried to suppress a groan at how quickly she labeled non-humans as dirty, ugly or otherwise unappealing. But there were other things to be doing. Reinaan looked under the cart but couldn't see much except for the occasional flash of the thing's eyes, but he could tell it was clinging to the underside of the cart. 

"Go away, shoo!" he heard from Madelyn, who had moved over towards the side of the cart. It was probably best to not have the thing so close to their supplies all night so Reinaan bent down and tried poking at the thing underneath with the shaft of his halberd. It connected and a quick squeal was heard as the creature dropped to the forest floor and ran off from under the opposite side of the cart. The Draken was a touch disappointed it felt the need to run but he could understand. Something that small and foraging in the dark couldn't be all that strong. With a sigh the boy leaned on the cart.

"Well guess we're watching supplies for the rest of the night." he observed while he turned his eyes back up toward the branches. Hopefully the others weren't getting any big ideas.

"Well guess we're watching supplies for the rest of the night."

When Reinaan got up he saw another of the creatures running off, with Madelyn standing with her hands on her hips, as though scolding a child. It seemed while Reinaan was looking at the one under the cart another had tried to sneak into it.

She looked back to him and sighed "It would be easier if we could just get rid of these nasty little things." she frowned and looked out into the woods with distaste. "I don't suppose...no, a larger fire would just attract more." she sighed again.

Reinaan could see them, or at least outlines of them, all along the trees. They seemed to just be watching. They were oddly fascinating in a way that caused the Draken to focus entirely on their far too still forms. Something was nagging him about it being odd, but, he didn't notice any movement.

However Madelyn it seemed did. Next to Reinaan a globe of light suddenly appeared, blinding him momentarily until she pushed it away.

He could barely see where it was going and noticed another of the creatures was digging around in Ryia's stuff, trying to drag her mace out with it. However the creature scurried away without it as the light chased it down.

Madelyn let out an annoyed "tsk" and glanced back at Reinaan. "I'm not sure we can watch them all. It seems the little fiends are happy to take anything they can get their grubby hands on."

Spoiler

Should be able to finish up with your next post. Basically either try and find a way to keep them away, keep them from coming from directions you can't watch, or just take the risk and attempt to spot each instance (basically will be a couple more attempts to try and catch)

Also can do more talking with Madelyn during/after if you'd like

So it wasn't just food, these things were after literally anything new they could get their hands on. Reinaan groaned at the prospect of having to watch every bag and person to make sure nothing was taken and looking at the numbers of the things it seemed impossible if they all started moving. Still, the draken didn't feel much like trying to hurt them since they hadn't done anything directly malevolent. Fire seemed like an easy way to scare things but given their surroundings that seemed ill advised. He could just as easily burn most of the forest to the ground which would certainly scare the critters away but also do untold damage and probably get something or someone mad at them. But then he had an idea.

"Hey, Ziiyol." the boy called and all at once his spirit appeared at his side.

"How odd of you to call with the sun not up. Shall I be the sun for you?" the spirit asked with her usual excited giggling.

"No, no, no, don't get that excited. I do need you to do your dance but only the green stuff." Reinaan said trying to guide his spirit's enthusiasm.

"Have you magic to burn then?" Ziiyol returned with a puzzled look on her face as she took stock of the area.

"We're trying not to burn anything so stick to that. Circle the camp but dont get any on any of us or our stuff just in case." the draken responded. Ziiyol seemed to think it over a minute, a touch disappointed nothing was going to actually ignite but then she cheerfully agreed to Reinaan's plan and so began her dance. Twirling as fire ignited from her fans, a bright green in color. They would fly off as small whisps through the air and onto the ground where they would sit for a minute before fizzling out without causing harm. At the sight of the flames the monkey creatures were very apparently scared and backed away from the source of it. As Ziiyol's dance continued they eventually dispersed altogether, not wishing to be on the path of the ever shiffting green flames. Reinaan kept as careful track of the creatures and Ziiyol as he could and breathed a sigh of relief mixed with another groan as he relaxed his posture.

"Glad that's over." he said to Madelyn.

"Quite. I didn't realize such crass beasts were lurking in these woods. I thought the elves would at least keep such things away but it seems that was too much to hope for." the mage returned. The idea the elves that lived here could control the local wildlife intrigued Reinaan to some extent.

"Sounds like a lot of work for a part of the place no one lives. Can't say I blame 'em. Unless they have some special magic for it or something." the boy responded, still watching the trees just to be safe.

"Hmph, with how they act one might think they have magic for everything." she muttered in response.

"Oh you know about elves. What are they like th-" Reinaan tried to say before suddenly being embraced from behind by his spirit. The warm sensation of her touch wrapped all around his face all of a sudden was alarming until he processed what was happening. "Ziiyol! Cut it out!" he demanded while trying not to shout.

"Oh Reiny that dance was so much fun after all! Though you really must let me burn something next time." the spirit teased as Reinaan thrashed in place. Madelyn for her part said nothing but watched the spirit intently as if studying her. Chosen and Spirit argued a bit longer before Reinaan finally got Ziiyol off of him and to be quiet long enough to continue his original thought.

"So as I was saying, what are the elves like?" Reinaan said trying to zone Ziiyol's soft humming out. Madelyn took a moment to refocus on Reinaan, having had a far off look in her eye, then she frowned.

"They're quite rude in my experience. Just because they have more time to study than the rest of us they think they don't even have to pay us any mind. I mean, there's a reason so many of them hide away in this place away from other people wouldn't you agree?"

"They sound like the elders in my village. They all have a dozen stories of why you shouldn't trust a human. Always just felt like an excuse to make a bunch of rules I didn't wanna follow. So yeah if it's anything like that I guess I agree." Reinaan said, different emotions struggling to take hold of his face as he thought of the ever nagging elder Draken in his village.

"The elders, wonder how old THEY are." Madelyn said mostly to herself. Then, with a shake of her head "Well in any case I suppose we will have to suffer their attitudes for now won't we. If they're still even there, who knows at this rate with the state of this place."

"Yeah..." Reinaan trailed off, taking to his own thoughts and resuming a largely silent watch.

The rest of Reinaan's watch went by slowly and awkwardly. Madelyn didn't seem to much want to speak to him if not spoken to yet she still on occasion would huff and puff to herself, grumbling about the circumstance, lamenting that she would have to go from this to being on the move.

However the monkey creatures never returned and nothing else came to threaten them in the waning night.

Eventually the sun came out and, despite the tree canopy, the forest was lit up once more and it was time to wake everyone up.

---

Keres woke on her own almost as though she sensed that it was the time Reinaan and Madelyn, mostly Reinaan, would be waking everyone up. Without asking anyone anything the girl just went about cooking food for everyone. She didn't ask the others how the night had gone and just decided to try and get food ready for everyone as fast as possible.

Flux, however, had something else in mind. It materialized itself and darted around the others to ask them eagerly what they had seen. "It was really boring for us did any of you get to see anything interesting? I mean. It wasn't like I couldn't see but I also couldn't really see. It's really weird being a spirit here did you know that when she's sleeping I struggle with materializing? I wonder why that is..."

Keres decided to double her efforts so she could give them food as apology for Flux....being Flux so early in the day.

Damien took a while to wake up. In fact at first it seemed he wasn't going to wake up whatever they did but he eventually awoke just in time for food to be ready.

"Well isn't this a nice way to start a day. So, how did you all like your first day at camp?"

Ryia gulped as Lindow had mentioned it being a ghost, sincerely not wanting to have to deal with some kind of being like that. Lindow as well seemed to think the ghost itself was a trap, which Ryia had almost always thought ghosts weren't something you wanted to chase after anyway. But, continuing this line of logic, he seemed eager to fight whatever it was that might've been conjuring the ghostly creature. Made more on edge as he continued to egg the darkness on, Ryia wanted to try to calm him but felt that saying anything was more than likely to get him only more riled and getting louder. So she kept to herself and just let it run its course. And thankfully, no other incident had happened. And there were no more ghosts. 

In spite of the fright in the woods last night, Ryia had been able to sleep well enough through the night. And, with the daylight revealing more of the forest to them, the girl let out a sigh of relief. Sitting around as Keres had gone off to work on food, the spirit of water began speaking to them talking about their night and pondering something about its own abilities. Curious about this as well, Ryia looked over at nothing saying, "is uh, that true Ackrin?" 

"I do not know," The goat spirit replied, "I have never tried." 

"Oh, well, I uh, I see." The girl muttered out. Sitting there in silence, true to form Ackrin had neither mused nor continued further on the train of thought and Ryia didn't feel like pressing any further either. Instead she just shrugged towards the water spirit.

Eventually as the food was presented to them all, the girl gave a bow, smile and "thank you," towards Keres. With Damien coming out as well, asking about their night, the girl said, "ah well, um, nothing really happened much on our watch. No uh, no problems or anything. But there was a uh, a woman? I think? She didn't say anything...was just walking and uh...she was just there and left...yeah..." The girl trailed off as she gave a brief summary of last night's events. 

While the rest of the watch was quiet, that only helped Reinaan pick up on Madelyn grumbling to herself. Whether she was upset at him, the general circumstances, both, or something else entirely he couldn't pick out but the chip on his shoulder told him it was probably about him. A perhaps unfair assumption but so long as she was staying quiet he couldn't complain. Eventually the sun rose, a welcome relief to the boy's scales which had gotten colder through the night than he'd let himself realize. That meant it was time to start waking people up. Lindow and Ryia were simple affairs. With Keres the boy seemed to hesitate to address or touch her, not wanting her to panic first thing in the morning. Thankfully the girl woke up on her own before he had to do anything. Damien proved the problem child of the bunch. After some nudges and calls Reinaan left him to his own devices which eventually woke him up some minutes later.

Flux took to addressing the group speaking of difficulties in materializing while Keres was unconscious. Ziiyol appeared at Reinaan's side echoing the sentiment and her relief he had awoken and called on her when he did. Ryia meanwhile related the events of the watch and the draken was admittedly concerned a woman was just wandering the woods watching them in the night but if nothing actually happened, at least that she felt like commenting on, he could let it slide. He took it upon himself to report his and Madelyn's watch.

"We had a lot of visitors, small little things. Not harmful but really curious. They were trying to get into anything and everything. Pretty sure we scared them off before they could get their hands on anything but check your belongings anyway." He started as he turned to Lindow with a smirk. "Can't be sure they didn't get any of your swords."

There was no spirit of thunder to chime in on the materialization discussion. Not that it matter to the Thunder Chosen anyway, as he watched Keres prepare their meal with a rather eager expression on his face. Barking taunts into the darkness all night was hungry work it seemed. When breakfast was ready, he offered Damien grunt when the other man enquired about their stay in the woods. He thought Ryia's report summed it up well enough. The ghosts in this forrest were all cowards... 

"We had a lot of visitors, small little things. Not harmful but really curious. They were trying to get into anything and everything. Pretty sure we scared them off before they could get their hands on anything but check your belongings anyway." Lindow felt Reinaan shift to look at him. "Can't be sure they didn't get any of your swords."

Glancing up into a toothy smirk, he scoffed. "You better hope not. Because if they did, you're coming with me to find it." Lindow's tone was jovial at first. "..." Suddenly he began scarfing down the rest of his breakfast. Brandishing his best poker face, the Thunder Chosen quickly shoveled every morsel into his gullet, before abruptly springing up from his seat with a mouth full of food. "I gotta take a leak." Was what he tried to say, but it sound pretty far from the common tongue as he darted over to the cart to check on his cache of weaponry.

The clinking of metal could heard off behind the mule. Moments later he returned casually, but not without shooting Reinaan playful glare. Plopping down back in his spot with an air of relief,  Lindow addressed Damien whilst he cleaned the food residue from his face. "So where are we head'd next? I think we should probably seek out the elves. There's no way they don't know exactly where to find the gate thats corrupting their precious forest..." He watched the other man intently, more interested in his reaction than anything. 

Edited by Hollow

Keres simply nodded in response to those thanking her for the food. Preferring to observing how they react to the food rather than speak about it. She was silent as people went over what they saw, though in her mind she was picturing everything with surprisingly accurate mental depictions.

From what it sounded there was a lost soul somewhere around. Perhaps they would have been lured to their doom had they followed them, or something would have attacked as the watchers left. Though she couldn't help but wonder what it might have been doing. Most spirits she had encountered back home had been much more violent.

Eventually when the question of what to do came up there seemed really one clear path. "So where are we head'd next? I think we should probably seek out the elves. There's no way they don't know exactly where to find the gate that's corrupting their precious forest..."

Damien for his part gave a small, innocuous, smile Lindow's way as the man noticed Lindow glance his way. As if saying he knew that Lindow was looking for a reaction and wouldn't give one.

"That...seems the best chance." Keres said, then, after a hesitation, spoke without looking Lindow's way, but obviously referring to him, "we should be careful how we...speak to them."

Madelyn let out a dramatic sigh and said "Well, I suppose we must. Theirs is the only civilization in this whole place after all."

Despite Damien's poker face his eyes twitched just a moment as Madelyn said this but then he turned and pointed off in a direction roughly eastward of where they were. "That would be the way to go, then, and don't worry about having to look long they'll probably find us first anyway."

With all that decided, and on that worrisome note, the group headed out once again into the woods. They seemed to have passed some threshold in activity. For a while they could hear animal noises frequently, including a few howls now and then, but slowly these began to ebb and, after a couple hours of travel, Damien came to a stop and they could no longer detect many noises.

"So, this may be sudden, but this is about as far as I'll be going." Damien said without looking back at them. "It would be better for you if I'm not seen to begin with and I'm not too interested in going to their city to begin with."

He glanced back and had a smile that was more waxen than most of his expressions. "I'll be around here hunkering down. You won't have to look for me I'll find you when you're far enough from the city." He looked back in the direction they were headed. "I'm surprised I went this far, they're usually more spread out...Well, in any case just keep going this way and you'll find it without much trouble. Have fun kiddos, don't miss me too much!"

Spoiler

So if you want to say anything to Damien this'll be the time to do it before he heads off into the forest. If you all decide to keep going I can give one of you info for what you'll see as you get closer but figured would be best not to do too much here especially given situation.

As the group had finished their breakfast and recounting the night's happenings, it had been time for them to move on. With the destination of the elven city in mind, the group packed up their camp and started to trek through the forest. Ryia was on alert, the noises of the forest around them putting her ill at ease, unsure of what kind of beast could jump out at them after both their day and night spent here. As a result, she was almost looking forward to the elven city, hoping that their entry wouldn't be barred and it would be a place they could find actual respite in. However, once the noises began to quiet and Ryia's nerves began to settle, she looked over to Damien as he spoke up. 

The girl had visible concern on her face as Damien told them they'd be parting ways. The forest was no safe place and she couldn't help but admit that she was also curious as to why Damien wasn't allowed near there to begin with. Though it didn't seem like he was just trying to push the task more onto them and this also seemed to be different then other times the man seemed less than enthused to go somewhere. So she wasn't about to pry, not yet at least. Besides, she had other concerns she wanted to address with him first, and now wasn't the time for that either. "Well, um, stay safe, uh, out there." She knew she was stating the obvious and she knew how capable he was out there, yet she couldn't help but gesture to the way they came from and say, "there's uh, a lot of dangerous things...We'll uh, be back." The girl's serious expression broke a little as she gave an awkward nod before looking to everyone else, ready to proceed. 

As the group continued to walk through the forest Ryia couldn't help but feel like there was something watching them. She wasn't quite sure how to describe the feeling, since she had been somewhat paranoid since getting in the forest in the first place, but she could swear that there was something hiding in the trees just out of sight. However, as she started to grow more curious and actually consciously look around for it, she noticed that the feeling had gone. Or at least the immediate one, as she was still on edge, wondering what it could've possibly been. 

This curiosity didn't have time to last for long, though, as the group then ran into a large wall of wood, roots and thorny vines. Examining the wall, Ryia took a step closer only to back away as a trio of elves emerged from the top of the wall, bows drawn and pointed at them. "Do not take one step closer, outsiders." As they called out to them, Ryia couldn't help but do more than let out an, "uh," and look to the others to hopefully work on this first impression. 

Lindow was sure to hide his disappointment when Damien announced that he wouldn't be joining the group any deeper into Elven territory. He had been hoping that their meeting with the Elves would shed some light on Damien's connection to them, but it seemed that his curiosities would have to take a backseat for now. Luckily it didn't take long for the group to come face to face with the with the very people Damien was so keen on avoiding.  

"Do not take one step closer, outsiders."

Lindow studied the three archers atop the wall of greenery. He had heard rumors about elven trained archers and their masterful marksmanship in the past, and was rather curious about how true these tales actually were. He'd have to take note of their technique if a fight broke out. 

Hearing Ryia's "uh" Lindow sighed and spoke out. "Hey there." He began with a little wave. "We're here to destroy the Demon Gate on this island... would any of you three happen to know the way?" 

The three archers looked between each other for a moment, and without a word one stepped  back and vanished to the other side of the wall, the other two looked back. "If we knew where it was we would have gotten rid of it long ago, what makes you think you can do any more?" One finally spoke up. 

"The fact that we've already destroyed two of them. Don't be shy. Help us help you, and we'll be on our way as soon this demon business is dealt with." Lindow tilted his head impatiently, already getting the feeling that this wasn't about to go the way the group wanted. 

"We don't need your help, human." The elf turned his head slightly, then said, "Captain Cithrel will be here soon, then he will determine if we are to loose our arrows or just send you away to let the wolves deal with you." 

Seemingly perking up the implication that things would soon be getting violent, Lindow's response quick and chipper. "Captain Cithrel, huh?" He tried the name out for himself. Picturing what kind of warrior would be worthy of the tittle of captain amongst these people. "Is he strong? I'm glad we're gonna wait for him then..." His lips curved into a smile as he shifted to rest his shoulder on a nearby tree. 

The Elf who he had been exchanging words with met the Thunder Chosen's smile a sneer. "You'd better hope you don't find out the answer to that question."

Upon arriving at the elf village, Reinaan had in all honesty expected to simply be able to enter. But the elves swiftly decided to make that difficult, three archers barring the way before the city walls. Lindow however seemed to calmly handle introducing the group and their task, shy of calling themselves the Chosen even, which as of yet had kept any arrows from flying. So that was the energy the Draken chose to adopt. Or at least he thought that's what he was doing. Instead his eyes were fixated on the archers, practically unblinking, with enough ferocity it was clear what he intended to do if they sought to harm the group even though his own posture was nothing like a fighting stance. The group passed the moments in silence while awaiting the arrival of this Captain Cithrel. Eventually the third guard returned, another man in tow. The middle archer moved to the side to make room for the newcomer. An elven man wearing a cloak over a silver breastplate. He looked quite different from the other elves. In part because he had multiple scars across his face, with his left eye, ear and arm all missing. He looked first at the group, nodded to his archers, then jumped over the wall to land in front of it. A sword rested at his side, very similar in shape to Damien's.

"What is a strange group like yorus doing so far into the forest? What could you possibly hope to find here?" Cithrel asked of them. Reinaan took it upon himself to speak next for the group.

"We're here to find and destroy the Demon Gate in these lands, just like we told your men." Reinaan said, his gaze still fixed squarely on the archers. A bit rude but the man seemed to take no offense to it. 

"So I was told. He said, his one good eye examining them, "I can tell why they were doubtful. Still, even if that were the case..." he gestured back at the wall. "Do you expect to find it our city? Behind our walls?"

"If we did you wouldn't have the time to be stopping us here, all the problems it'd cause." Reinaan tried not to scoff as he spoke. "But so far it's usually been our best bet to go to cities to find information. Someone here could have encountered something related to it and not even known."

"Anywhere else that may be sound, however I do not think many would be willing to tell you anything they have not told our Lord. We cannot let outsiders disturb the harmony of our city...Not without them giving us reason that is. If you perhaps deal with an issue for us, our Lord might be more lenient on letting you step foot in our city for a time." Cithril spoke. At this Reinaan could not help himself from lightly groaning. Expecting help without first giving it was presumptuous but surely the Chosen deserved a good favor. But then they hand't played that card yet. It seemed doubtful it would matter here anyway. Whoever this Lord was would probably still want proof.

"Just like the elders alright." Reinaan muttered, thinking back to his conversation with Damien on the nature of the elvess here. "What did you have in mind?" he called back to Cithril.

"There are two...pests, shall we say. One, a savage wolf pack who keeps targeting our hunters when they set out. And the other..." his eye had darkened when speaking of the wolves but it darkened even further now. "A traitor. One who ran away with a dangerous artifact after trying to attack our Lord and kidnapping his son. We've been tracking them but they found some way to avoid the sight of our magic. Bring them here, alive, or bring us the head of the wolf alpha, and I can speak to our Lord about letting you in." He finished speaking. At this Reinaan turned to the others, letting his eyes off the archers for the first time.

"Well, the idea of wrestling a wolf has its appeal for me. But what do you guys wanna do?" He asked, seeking the group's input.

Ryia's nerves didn't really calm down any as Lindow had taken the lead in speaking with the elves. Though he was generally direct with how he spoke, she couldn't always help but feel like there was something about his tone that was basically inviting the other party to fight them. She had no desire or intention to fight the elves, especially in the situation so she was glad at the very least they were looking to at least hear them out, however doubtful they might've been. As Reinaan spoke with their captain, though, it didn't seem like the group was going to make any headway until they had done something for the elves in exchange. Neither option sounded particularly easy, no matter how gung ho Reinaan might've been to wrestle an alpha wolf. 

Figuring it would be prudent to know more about what they were up against before going deciding which one to go with the girl looked to the captain, saying, "um, hello. Uh would it um, be alright to ask some uh, questions. About both?"

He turned his head to look at her and then gave a brief nod. "If you must."

"For the uh, first request. Where- um when too? Do you usually find the uh, wolves. And is it like, some or like a um, a whole bunch or, uh...?" 

"We don't find them, they find us. Where their.....territory is, is wherever there happens to be the most prey at the time. I suppose I could share which area of the forest that might be. As for how many, they haven't been counted, they are adapt at escaping swiftly after an attack, but they number at least a dozen."

"I uh, I see..." The girl didn't exactly find the idea of having to go against a dozen wolves that seemed to be too fast and ferocious for even the locals to deal with all that appealing. So, to make sure that it was the lesser of two evils to her the girl asked, "and about the uh, traitor. What do they uh, look like and well, um, what did they, uh, steal?"

"What they look like doesn't matter. If you see someone out there who isn't part of a hunting group it must be them. As for what they stole...It was something that could bring great destruction to this forest if not under enchantments for too long. I only hope there is enough time to find them before it...is too late."

"Oh, that uh, that sounds...bad..." Stating the obvious, the girl's voice trailed off, not really attempting to press either subject further with the man the girl turned to the others. "Well, the um, artifact sounds really bad to just uh, keep loose. And um, someone else is in trouble uh, because of them too. So...well, uh, maybe that?" Figuring it was the more important of the two, as well as definitely wanting to not fight the wolves. 

After deciding to track down this traitor the group left with the sharp gazes of the elvish warriors stabbing at their backs. They didn't stop watching the group until they were well out of sight, or perhaps not even then none of the group would be able to tell, and eventually the group found themselves back towards the place that Damien had left them.

Madelyn, having been surprisingly silent this whole time, let out a frustrated sigh. "The NERVE of them. Should they not want someone to find if there is a Gate here and destroy it? Would it not be to their benefit to give us any information hey could? And yet here they are, making us help them for the chance to, well, help them! I cannot believe you accepted this farce so readily! Argh, of all the arrogant..." she then kicked a tree in annoyance and tried to cover up the wince as pain shot up her foot.

Keres wasn't sure what to say in the face of such frustrations. "I...think it's good to help, anyway..." she said, too soft for Madelyn to hear out of concern it would cause the girl to direct her anger her way.

Keres thought a moment then said, "But we don't know who or where this traitor might be..."

Just as she said this a figure emerged, surprisingly silent, from the treeline to the left. Damien waved as he approached. In his hand was a sack that seemed stuffed with some sort of fruit. "Thought I heard you clomping about. Back here a lot faster than I expected. Did they turn you away? Figures. And what's this about a traitor?"

The group explained the situation to Damien. He seemed surprised when they mentioned the captain, then sullen as they talked about wolves, and finally confused as they told him of the traitor they were going to find. "Well, that's quite a lot to take in. They must be pretty desperate if they're asking outsiders for help. Guess that's good for you all though otherwise they might have just turned you into pincushions on the spot."

He gave a hollow laugh and his expression turned introspective again. "A traitor who stole an artifact huh, that's sure something..."

"It's...a problem. They can't find them. So they can't provide a location..." Keres said slowly, thinking about a solution while she spoke. "Where might a traitor go to keep hidden...and why have they stayed in the forest?" It was clear she was mostly speaking to herself. Gradually growing quieter as she thought more.

"Hmph, they're an elf so perhaps they're too stubborn to leave and mingle with other races." Madelyn said, still in a huff.

Keres blinked and then, seemingly just remembering there were others around, looked over at them. "What...what do you all think?" She had never been good at group projects and was unsure how to best combine their opinions and ideas. But it occurred to her that trying to work it out in her own mind wouldn't do. Not anymore now that she had people she was working together with.