Sign in to follow this  
Thar

Your Top 5 Musicians/Groups Of All Time

No need for elaborations or context as to why; just list your favorite 5 artists that have had the most influence on your life. Or if you just like them rather than felt anything lifechanging because of them, that's fine too.

My top 5:

5. Pantera

One of the greats, and certainly a huge part of my ever-descending journey into the depths of metal, despite the bittersweet origins of my interest. Long story short: My high school girlfriend's brother tested me on who the four pillars of metal were. I knew three of them, and one of them was Pantera, which happened to be his all-time favorite, so that was enough. That being said, nobody seems to have done it like these guys. The only ones I can think of that come close are Hostile Groove, which are another great band, but that's besides the point. Phil's voice and Dimebag's shredding just does it for me in all the right ways, and it's made me appreciate so many tracks by this group, if not full albums.

4. KoRn

Oh, Korn. Why are you so perfectly edgy and dark and cool? Also, how have you just aged like fine wine for the last 28 years? (...fuck has it really been that long?) Granted, there's not much nostalgic attachment to these guys... in fact, neither is anything else on the list. Regardless, Korn struck a chord with me at a certain time of my life and since then they've become a comfort listen, despite how dark their stuff tends to get. Let's be fair, though; if you went through what Davis went through and you had the ability to express that repressed childhood in the form of music, you'd embrace the niche that was mature and grotesque lyricism. Or would you? I dunno, I don't know you, but either way, these guys made dope shit and that album cover has been making me feel uncomfortable for years.

3. System of a Down

I'm not sure how these kinds of groups get together and suddenly make masterpieces, but I cannot find a vocalist as unique as Serj. That and the musicianship is almost... comical, in a way? Or at least when it's not melodic and blissful depression. Not to mention, when Serj goes from zany quips to busting out in orgasmic harmony, it turns into something I can never get tired of. This is the type of group that just makes me feel good to listen to while also making me happier, if not only slightly.

2. Tool

Some days I just wanna play this in front of my LA friends, and it's hilarious how many of them agree (and how many get offended.) But let's just cut to the chase: Is anyone else surprised this is here? If you are, then we can't be friends (kidding, but still.) Words cannot describe how much I appreciate Tool. This shit's powerful, not just in the sense that it's heavy, but that every song leaves you thinking. Intelligent lyrics mixed with mesmerizing riffs and the perfect tone to vocalize it all. I'd ramble on like I did with the other entries, but I feel like I can't do it justice: I love this band.

1. Primus

...I know what you're thinking... "how the hell did we get here?" Well, I'll tell you why: cause this is my mind, and you've just crossed into a whole new threshold of music appreciation. So here's the deal; saying Tool is great would be an understatement on my part, but now we get into what actually evolves that love that has bands standing out amongst other great bands, and that's style. Take Primus for example. To put it simply, this group is progressive rock with a hippy redneck vibe, and I'd be damned if I wasn't vibin' to this with a blunt in one hand and a shotgun in the other (I don't have either, but I can dream.) Just that image alone from one of their songs playing really makes me want to do a double take but then immediately retract that thought upon realizing that I just feel fuckin good about life. I can't say that about that many other groups, so for that this holds a special place in my heart.

Edited by Thar

Let's see...thinking on favorites for music is hard for me but thinking along the lines of influence or those who were for some reason or other important for me mixed with just "I like this music" it'd probably be something like....

-Linkin Park
-Skillet
-Icon For Hire
-Panic! At the Disco
-Lenka

Also shout out to various Youtube musicians such as Caleb Hyles and Adrisaurus

1. Judas Priest

2. Black Sabbath

3. Danny Elfman

4. Yuka Kitamura

5. Metallica

I know two of those are composers, but I just really like their work.

No order but these are artists that have affected me as a person and source of inspiration for my music.

SNSD

Tony Donza Tapdance Extravaganva

The Dillinger Escape Plan

The Dear Hunter

Nell

fuck you OP i'm elaborating anyway because i'm the kind of person who can't shut the fuck up for five seconds once i start talking. even if i'm only briefly elaborating.

#5 - Igorrr

Spoiler

After I made a top 4 I had to ask myself "who would I not mind listening to for the rest of my life that isn't these guys?" Igorrr was the answer. Simply put, the only consistent thing about Igorrr is there is no consistencies about Igorrr. They just make whatever the fuck they feel like, or at least that's the only explanation I can come up with for the avant garde tomes of madness that are the average Igorrr album. And I respect that.

#4 - The HU

Spoiler

Remember these dudes? I sure do. I was sold on this band from the get-go, and in the time since then, they've released one whole album, collabed with several rather notable names, and even got to write a song for a freakin Star Wars game. The mixture of traditional Mongolian instrumentation and more "Western"-style metal techniques is a good one indeed. It makes me wonder what it would sound like if one were to try the other way round.

#3 - Judas Priest

Spoiler

My favorite genre of music is a tricky question. My heart says eurobeat, but if you cut me open, I'll bleed metal instead. And when I think metal, Judas Priest is always the first band I think of. If I made music, you bet your ass I'd be taking at least some inspiration from the way Judas Priest does it, as should any person or band that's trying to make metal. They simply struck the nail on the head on what metal is at its core, and are still doing it 50 years later. Holy shit, dude. That's not just music goals at that point; that's life goals.

#2 - Nekrogoblikon

Spoiler

I don't even like goblins ?

There's a lot of things I usually don't like in metal bands. Nekrogoblikon manages to do all of them and still be one of my favorite bands despite that. I owe it to the vocals. There's an appropriate balance of scream vocals and clean vocals when the song calls for it, and both of them have a pretty distinct sound I'm quite fond of. It helps that I like the pace and flow of Nekrogoblikon vocals. Also, my first impression of the band was the above, which also happens to be one of my favorite music videos ever. So that's a big point in their favor.

#1 - Alestorm

Spoiler

I like metal. I like pirates. I like shitposting. Alestorm combines all three of these flawlessly. No further explanation needed. They're a fun band that has some goofy songs and some serious ones, and both are written equally well. I was hyped as shit when Curse of the Crystal Coconut dropped earlier this year.

5 hours ago, spookmaster yui said:

fuck you OP i'm elaborating anyway because i'm the kind of person who can't shut the fuck up for five seconds once i start talking. even if i'm only briefly elaborating.

#5 - Igorrr

Reveal hidden contents

#4 - The HU

Reveal hidden contents

#3 - Judas Priest

Reveal hidden contents

#2 - Nekrogoblikon

Reveal hidden contents

#1 - Alestorm

Reveal hidden contents

season 9 mall girl pearl GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Hell, I might just update my list to explain why I like each, even if I end up swapping out some groups cause my "favorites" tend to jump around depending on the day.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:25 AM, spookmaster yui said:

#5 - Igorrr

Hide contents

After I made a top 4 I had to ask myself "who would I not mind listening to for the rest of my life that isn't these guys?" Igorrr was the answer. Simply put, the only consistent thing about Igorrr is there is no consistencies about Igorrr. They just make whatever the fuck they feel like, or at least that's the only explanation I can come up with for the avant garde tomes of madness that are the average Igorrr album. And I respect that.

#4 - The HU

Reveal hidden contents

#3 - Judas Priest

Reveal hidden contents

#2 - Nekrogoblikon

Reveal hidden contents

#1 - Alestorm

Reveal hidden contents

I heard only Chads know about Igorrr. Brutal Swing remains GOAT