Sign in to follow this  
Zai

Digimon Divers [IC/PG-16]

-Digimon Divers-

OP

Episode 1: The Shooting Star They Saw

Moored on a lonely, deserted island in the digital plane, Aegis sat, waiting for the winds to pick up. The last of the her crew had arrived a scant few days ago, and now that everyone was settled in, all that was left to do was to set off in search of the source code. Of course, without a strong wind or a set destination, there wasn't much use in actually setting out.

Her crew, meanwhile, both human and digimon alike, were still getting used to their new surroundings. Introductions were out of the way, but no one had truly broken the ice yet, and the fact that there wasn't much to do aboard only added to the rather awkward, dreary atmosphere of being stuck on a ship with people you barely knew.

Noah Takenouchi stood alone on the upper deck, watching the data gently drift by far above them. The terrain of the island was barren and rocky, with few visually interesting features. He hadn't started to feel homesick yet, though the fact that he'd worn the same clothes for a few days now with no sign of wear of foul odors was a bit strange to him. Being data had its perks, at least. Still, he was apprehensive. How were four kids supposed to save the world? Was that even what they were doing?

"Whatcha thinkin' about?"

He looked down. There was Ash: the little dragon who'd pulled him into all of this. Though they were supposed to be partners, they hadn't spoken all that much over the past few days, with Ash constantly going off "scouting" the island and leaving him to his own devices. Him coming up to Noah was something of an anomaly.

"Nothing, really. Honestly I'm sorta bored. I thought you said this was supposed to be an adventure."

Avery was never one for deserts. It stood to reason, given her affinity for plants, and not even cacti growing on this one didn't make her feel any better about being stranded here. It wasn't like being data had pros and cons, but when she was told about a sea of data as far as the eye could see, promising adventure and no serious danger to her well-being, Avery had expected... well, quite the opposite of what she'd gotten when she found herself aboard Aegis. Root had been avoiding her, up to... something. Hiding his face in shame, Avery hoped. She had to admit, she was feeling rather lied to. And the fact that she couldn't seem to find her digimon was only worsened by being left with a note that simply instructed her to get familiar with people on the boat. Without Root there, that narrowed it down to the other humans and their own partners.

Joy. Well, it was something to do.

Best to find someone then. Perhaps not up on the deck. She was getting quite tired of looking at the same shit day in and day out. Heading down inside the Aegis, finding a person didn't take long. Some pale girl with long black hair and a furry as her partner. Get in, say hi, learn her name, get out. That would be good enough to fulfill Root's instructions, right? The problem came when Avery opened her stupid mouth that says stupid things in stupid ways. She hesitated at first. What to say? And would she screw it up? Probably.

So instead, Avery shut her stupid mouth, and settled for a wave hello.

Juri looked at the light leaking into the cabins from topside of the Aegis, wondering if he was even able to get a sunburn here in the Digital World.  Even if he was immune to the digital sun's radiation, the heat was for sure like it was in the real world...except it was worse.  They had found themselves washed upon the shore of some desert, with no wind on the sea to help sail them towards their destination.  Where were they even heading anyways?  He faintly remembered their mission in all of this, being dragged so abruptly into this world by his 'partner'.  He looked to his newfound device, and then to the large beast-man digimon who sat in the corner.  The guy hadn't taken his eyes off of Juri since they had gotten on the ship, watching the boy like a fox stalking his prey.  The digimon seemed to scrunch it's eyes in on Juri, prompting the boy to look away in a hurry.

"Jeez...you could at least not scowl you know?!"  Juri grumped.  

"This is just my regular look.  Deal with it.  I just hate the smell of weakness is all...and you're drenched in the damn stuff."  The digimon grunted, not taking it's eyes off of him.  With a sigh, Juri began to fan himself off.  His long hair had since been put into a bun, ever since the washed ashore.  He was reminded that more people had been sent out on this mission as well, more people from his world.  He hadn't really taken the time to introduce himself fully though, and the thick air of awkwardness still hung between all of them.  That's when he noticed one of the crew descend into the ship, pausing briefly before waving gently at Juri.  A little dumbfounded at the coincidence, Juri began to wave back, before the digimon in the corner put himself directly between the two.

"You got business with my partner?  Or you got some kinda ulterior motive here?"  the beast-man hounded the girl.

"Calm down Grudge...she's just being friendly."  Juri placed a hand on the digimon's back. 

"Tch.  No one's friendly for no reason.  Spill it, punk!"  

"That's enough Grudge.  Now go back and sit in the corner."  Grudge looked back towards Juri, with his eyes filled with strong emotion.  "You can keep an eye on me.  And if she tries to make a move on my life, you can do what you want with her, deal?"  Grudge looked to Juri, and back towards the girl, and then huffed.  

"Fine."  Grudge agreed, begrudgingly.  He did just as Juri said and plopped himself back into the corner, leaning his back against it and propping his leg onto his knee.  Juri gave him a thumbs up, before standing up and greeting the girl with a wave and a smile.

"Sorry about that.  I think he's just overly protective!  My name's Juri Jackson.  What's yours?"  

"C'mon, c'mon! There's still some cool stuff on the Aegis over here I ain't shown you yet!" a cheerful voice sounded from the back of the ship.

"O-okay. Don't tug so hard Quill." A much more meek voice responded. Moving quickly through the somewhat limited space onboard was the pair of Orianne and Quill the Herissmon. The hedgehog-like creature was tugging at the girl's skirt to guide her through the space. The human girl was still in costume from her dress rehearsal when she'd been brought on board. And it only made sense as she hadn't been able to bring anything with her due to the suddenness of it all. More perplexing was her hair, which Orianne was constantly fussing with, grabbing a length of it with one hand and running it through over and over. She had dyed it the silvery-white color for the performance from it's usual dark brown color. But upon being digitized this seemed to be accepted as her default color. Despite being here a few days her roots were showing no signs of her real hair color. Would it go back to normal once this was all over? Was this ever going to be over? It was still so much to process.

"See, look. I don't think I showed you this chair before." Quill stated before letting her new partner get a good long look at the very average piece of furniture. The human girl did her best to seem interested but there really wasn't much to do with the information. The Herissmon pouted a bit. "I know, it's nothing crazy. I really wish we'd go somewhere cool. This isn't the best showing of what the digital world fragments can be like." she moped.

"Don't worry about it..." Orianne trailed off meekly while trying to sound reassuring.

"Wanna head up to the deck?" Quill offered. "Maybe something exciting's come into view."

"I suppose that might be nice..." Orianne agreed. The duo made their way to the upper deck without much incident. As of yet Orianne had done little to directly approach the other humans brought aboard the Aegis, despite Iris and Quill's combined encouragement. And so when Noah and Ash came into view the girl panicked. But Quill was fine to go on ahead and then before either knew much what was happening Iris took over. Suddenly boy and dragon were much closer than they'd been. The much more confident Iris released the grip on her hair Orianne had maintained for some time as she straightened her posture.

"Still nothing all that interesting Quill." Iris spoke with a much more confident voice so as to alert Noah and Ash to their presence. She held a hand horizontally at her eyebrow ridge as if to shield her eyes as she looked out and about. "Hey there!" She started with a playful smile now addressing the other human properly. "Don't think we've properly met yet huh? My bad, my head's been spinning so long I just wanted to hole up somewhere to think." Iris stated energetically, even tossing in the spinning of her extended index finger about her ear to accent the point. "How are things on your end?" she asked, turning things over to Noah and or Ash to speak their mind.

"It will be! It just... hasn't started yet, I guess. Maybe the ship's waiting for someo-"

"Still nothing all that interesting Quill." Ash stopped mid-sentence as both he and Noah turned to look at the source of the voice. It was one of the others, though neither of them had said much to the girls yet in the few days or so they'd been aboard. "Hey there!"

"Heya." Noah was the first of them to respond, giving Iris and Quill a short wave with his gloved hand. The bell on his neck jingled a little.

"Don't think we've properly met yet huh? My bad, my head's been spinning so long I just wanted to hole up somewhere to think. How are things on your end?"

"Sorta the same." Noah shot a quick glance at Ash. "I've kinda been on my own for a bit too." He wouldn;t say it outright, but he very much didn't appreciate being left alone until now.

"You're welcome to come with me next time I go out on patrol, you know." Ash let out a reptilian grunt that passed for a "Hmph."

"Dude, there's nothing here." This place is just a dead ball of rock and wind. What could you possibly need to patrol for?"

Ash's expression darkened. "You never know, Noah. The digital plane can be very dangerous... and besides, I hate sitting still." He added on, quickly shifting the topic away from anything that might bring up some bad memories.

"Ahh, the real motive." Noah let out a short laugh, then turned back to Iris. "I'm Noah, and my uhhh...."

"Partner." Ash interjected.

"Yeah, that. He's Ash."

"Ashardalon. At your service. Most mons call me Ash, though. Its easier." He bowed as he spoke.

"And you guys? I like your hair by the way." He sort of blurted that last part out, but at least it fit into the conversation. It was the truth too, she looked cute with that hair color.

"You got business with my partner?  Or you got some kinda ulterior motive here?"

Avery was met with a rather confrontational beastman, standing between her and her fellow Aegis crewmate. After a brief back-and-forth between the two though, it seemed the beast - his name was Grudge - was made to stand down. Even so, she could feel his piercing gaze, just waiting for her to make a funny move. And she got the feeling that her own partner would be little help in fighting that thing off. Talk about a high-pressure situation.

"Sorry about that.  I think he's just overly protective!  My name's Juri Jackson.  What's yours?"  

"Aver, A, A..." Dammit. "Avery Fiiiisher." Deep breath. In, and out. Avery took a seat on the stairs, only briefly glancing at Grudge before checking out what else was worth looking at. Like the view from that window. The very sandy, devoid-of-life view. Disgusting. An irritated huff worked its way out of Avery's nose as she observed the sandy rocky expanse out there "Of all the, all the places to get stranded," she sighed. "Hope you like rooocks."

Edited by Yui

Iris could only really laugh softly to herself as the two before her interacted. They weren't any more certain what was going on than she, Orianne or Quill were. And while that wasn't exactly the best situation to be in, it was at least somewhat comforting to share in the boredom and discomfort together. As Ash bowed while introducing himself, Iris playfully curtsied in return, while Quill's energy just starting bouncing more waiting to introduce herself. That was until Iris was caught off guard by Noah's comment about her hair.

"O-oh, thank you. Heh, it's almost embarrassing to say this isn't my natural hair color. Not that this digital place knows any better." the girl said while running a hand through her hair to flip it dramatically. "The name's Orianne Martel, a pleasure to meet you Noah, Ash. And thi-" she started before Quill jumped up between the other three.

"I'm Quill! That's my name, dont wear it out. But if you do I guess you can just call me Herissmon. If you wear that one out then we're in trouble." the hyperactive hedgehog energetically offered to the group.

"Oh? I thought you were Prince Ago-Oba." Iris teased her partner about the many emails she'd sent to recruit her onto the Aegis.

"Look, I know I went a little crazy but you're here right?" Quill responded, somewhat sheepishly. Iris could only laugh healthily about it before reassuring her partner she was just teasting.

"So Ash, you've been doing patrols for a while huh? Ever seen anything out there? Where are we even going for that matter?" Iris questioned. These were of course the questions Orianne want answered but her own curiosity was no less real.

"Aver, A, A..." For some reason, it took some work for the words to come out of her mouth. "Avery Fiiiisher."  Juri nodded and watched as the girl walked over towards the window, lamenting their situation.  "Of all the, all the places to get stranded," she sighed. "Hope you like rooocks."

"You got somethin' against rocks?!"  Grudge could be heard barking from the corner, his eyes hadn't left the girl he stared knives at.

"Grudge, not another peep or you're off the boat!"  

"What does that even mean!?  You gonna toss me off with your bare hands?!"  Grudge slammed his hands on the floor.

"I mean it mister!  Avery's our partner now too, whether you like it or not!"  Juri almost barked back.  Grudge tried lifting a finger, whilst opening his mouth to probably berate Avery again.  However, this display was met by an angry, stinging glare from Juri, who narrowed his eyes at the beast.  The digimon finally looked away towards the wall, while his nails tried to dig into the aegis floor.  "Now, where were we again?"  He tapped his chin, for a moment before the conversation topic popped in his head.  "I like rocks!  It's kinda like we got stranded on a beach too!  Like a mini vacation to start off our arduous adventure!  Don't you think?"  Juri asked the girl.  "Why, don't you like beaches?  I know we can't swim in data, but we should try to have some fun, right?"  

"So Ash, you've been doing patrols for a while huh? Ever seen anything out there? Where are we even going for that matter?"

"Nothing. This Island seems to be just a dead ball of rock. You can never be too careful, though. As for where we're going-"

"He has no idea." Noah interjected. Ash seemed to visibly deflate.

"Yes." He growled a bit. "I don't actually know. We will probably have to leave son. Maybe search for leads on another island."

"I asked the ship- did you know she can talk? She doesn't have any solid leads, either. Wonder if-"

This time, Noah was the one interrupted. Not by Ashardalon though. Instead everyone on deck's eyes were drawn to the sky as a sparkling, silver shooting star streaked across the sky fro out of the data stream. At first Noah was silent because he was distracted by how pretty it was, but then it got larger, and closer, and the awe turned to fear, then relief as it passed barely a few hundred feet over their heads. It was nearly perfectly round and crystaline, not at all like what Noah imagined a meteor would look like. Weirder still its tail was in fact not debris being ejected off of it, but rather... flames?"

"A rocket?!"

Ash was right. It was a rocket! Noah barely had time to process this before it impacted the island perhaps a mile or two away, on the other side of a high ridge. The island shook from the explosive impact, so much so that everyone aboard almost lost their footing.

"Well, there's something to see."

"Lets go check it out. If anyone was aboard they're probably going to need our help!" Before anyone could respond or go after him, Ash jumped over the railing and down to the ground. He ran off as fast as he could, having completely forgotten that they were aboard a boat that could fly. Noah looked Orianne, wondering whether they should go after him or get below decks and help get Aegis ready to go.

"You got somethin' against rocks?!"

"Grudge, not another peep or you're off the boat!"  

"What does that even mean!?  You gonna toss me off with your bare hands?!"

Was a human even capable of tossing that thing off the boat? If it was Avery's own partner that'd be one thing, but Juri's partner looked quite a bit heavier than little old Root. Oh well. Avery's question was met with not quite the answer she was expecting.

"I like rocks!  It's kinda like we got stranded on a beach too!  Like a mini vacation to start off our arduous adventure!  Don't you think?" A question that was met with a shake of Avery's head. Barren desert was far from what she'd consider a vacation spot, but she did like that at least one of them was looking at the glass half full. "Why, don't you like beaches?  I know we can't swim in data, but we should try to have some fun, right?"  

That one was met with a shrug. "Not really. I like, I like jungles and places ri-rrrrich in greenery. Like the ve, venus flytrap. Did you knoooooow that it only grows na, naturally in coastal bogs in the Caro, Ca... Carolinas? They a, they are veeeeeeeeeeery humid places."

Iris found Ash and Noah's interactions somewhat charming as they bickered about the dragon's knowledge of what they were even doing out here. But there wasn't much time to dwell on it or spur it on as the group was interrupted by what was identified as a rocket, crashing off into the rocks afar off. The girl agreed with Ash's assessment that the group ought to check it out, but even she wasn't quite so bold as to go overboard immediately to get on checking it. Ash was on the way and that left Noah, Quill and Orianne standing on deck. Quill though was ready to go overboard herself.

"Not so hasty, we should go grab the others." Iris cautioned Quill who reluctantly stopped her attempt to get over the deck. "Coming Noah? i think we ought to take the Aegis over there and try to catch up with Ash before he gets into any trouble." she offered with a relaxed confidence. Whatever his reply she intended to go below to find whoever else was on board. Orianne perhaps would have just wanted to keep the course even though they didnt' really have one. But Iris was going to put her into something of an uncomfortable situation soon. It would be good for her. But for now Iris stayed surface as she caught sight of Juri and Avery and their partners engaged in conversation.

"We've got something! It isn't much but it's more than the nothing we've been seeing. We gotta get the ship over there!" she called out to rally the crew together.

"Do you even know what you're doing?" Quill asked as Orianne attempted to make sense of how one might go about controlling the Aegis.

"Of course.... I don't. But that's your job then isn't it Quill?" Iris responded with a laugh. The Herissmon ultimately agreed and began fidgeting with different devices.

"Not really. I like, I like jungles and places ri-rrrrich in greenery. Like the ve, venus flytrap. Did you knoooooow that it only grows na, naturally in coastal bogs in the Caro, Ca... Carolinas? They a, they are veeeeeeeeeeery humid places."

"Whoah!  Get out of town!"  Juri's mouth hung agate at the sudden information on a predatory plant straight from left field.  "They really grow there?!  I for sure thought they'd only grow in like...the rainforest!  Super cool!"  Juri laughed.  "You're so smart Avery!  What else grows there?!"  Before any more information could get passed around, however,  Iris came from topside to grab their attention.  

"We've got something! It isn't much but it's more than the nothing we've been seeing. We gotta get the ship over there!" 

"Another time then."  Juri seemed disappointed.  He wanted to learn more, but it seemed there was some strange goings on afoot.  He motioned for Grudge to follow him, who rolled his eyes and rose from his post.  As they passed Avery, Grudge could be seen pointing his fingers towards his eyes, and then reversing them towards Avery's.  The light in the sky made his eyes squint, but they soon were able to handle the harsh simulated rays.  As they got to the Deck, Juri giggled as she saw Iris' Herrismon fiddle with the ship's controls.  Grudge, in a fit of either annoyance or jealousy, approached the small hedgehog-like monster, pushing him out of the way.  

"You're doing it all wrong!  You gotta do it like..."  Grudge looked at the intimidating array of buttons and levers, only to start mashing them wildly in a desperate attempt to keep appearances.  "L-like this!"   

"Coming Noah? i think we ought to take the Aegis over there and try to catch up with Ash before he gets into any trouble." He nodded, following her as she ran below decks. It wasn't long before they came upon their other four compatriots. "We've got something! It isn't much but it's more than the nothing we've been seeing. We gotta get the ship over there!"

"A rocket just crashed over the hills." Noah added on. "Maybe somebody was on board."

With that, he waited for everyone to head up to the deck before following suit.

"I would appreciate it if the two of you stopped hitting random buttons on my control panel. The engine isn't even on yet, young ones." A motherly, but slightly annoyed voice echoed in the minds of the two digimon at Aegis's main control panel, bouncing into the heads of everyone else present a moment later. "Please pull the lever on the far right of the panel downward, Grudge. Slowly. Quill, if you would be so kind, make your way to my stern- the back. There is a tiller there that will help us steer, dear. As for the rest of you, I would suggest raising my sails. You will find deployment panels located around the deck for the hard light array. Please switch them on. You may also want to make your way to the bow once your finished- I can only perceive things that are close by, and so we shall need a lookout."

Instructions. Great. Not quite the same as a manual, but Noah wasn't going to complain about a boat that walked you through everything herself. Noah wasted no time putting his goggles over his face and running up front, Kicking on one of the sail projectors as he ran ahead. The cluster of hard light sails unfurled with a flourish, and surely the other four sets around the deck would do the same. Once they did, Aegis would begin to lift off the ground, and then it would be up to the eyes of the lookouts, Grudge's management of her controls, and Quill's pulls of the tiller to move her in the right direction. Something of a gamble, the ship reckoned, though she did not share this trepidation with her erstwhile crew.

----

Ash, meanwhile, was in a flat out run, covering hills just as fast as he could. His instincts told him he needed to get to that rocket, and soon, and they were rarely wrong.