Sign in to follow this  
Yemachu

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Today a new entry in the Paper Mario serie got announced, scheduled to release the 17th of July this year. There are still some questions about whether it will be similar to the first entries in the series (featuring stuff like partners and badges), or the later ones (relying on cards) remains to be seen. 

I see a lot of negativity already but honestly it looks pretty interesting. Then again I've only played TTYD so I'm not as...annoyed at the series direction so far. That being said it LOOKS really great and surprised they didn't do this gimmick already.

Which gimmick are you talking about? If you've played "Paper Mario the thousand year door", you should have run into origami to some extent: plane, boat, and cylinder were some 3D shapes Mario could take on in that game. But its use certainly wasn't as widespread.

I haven't really spotted any distinctive looking Goomba, Koopa, etc. that would serve as an ally… which is unfortunate. But absence of proof is not proof of absence. On the other hand, showing it of would probably have generated a lot of hype. But I'm no marketing expert.

The game's visuals look great. Now lets hope the story is engaging, and the gameplay fun.

Slightly unrelated: but during the end of this month a game that is reminiscent of the old paper mario games will release on a variety of consoles (including the switch). I'm talking about Bug Fables. It looks quite charming, and I intend to get it. 

24 minutes ago, Yemachu said:

Which gimmick are you talking about? If you've played "Paper Mario the thousand year door", you should have run into origami to some extent: plane, boat, and cylinder were some 3D shapes Mario could take on in that game. But its use certainly wasn't as widespread.

I haven't really spotted any distinctive looking Goomba, Koopa, etc. that would serve as an ally… which is unfortunate. But absence of proof is not proof of absence. On the other hand, showing it of would probably have generated a lot of hype. But I'm no marketing expert.

The game's visuals look great. Now lets hope the story is engaging, and the gameplay fun.

Slightly unrelated: but during the end of this month a game that is reminiscent of the old paper mario games will release on a variety of consoles (including the switch). I'm talking about Bug Fables. It looks quite charming, and I intend to get it. 

I moreso mean I'm surprised they haven't done a whole game based on it though I suppose it makes sense to hold off including a bit more 3D stuff until the Switch.

That scene with Origami Peach gave me legit chills.

Aside from that, I absolutely love the aesthetic of this. Feels similar to Yoshi's Crafted World, which Nintendo seems to be getting more into. It's so appealing.

Now that I was able to get a Switch Lite, I can actually start considering upcoming titles like this. Pretty exciting.

There seem to be characters following you at certain points in normal gameplay but not always so it's kinda hard to tell if there is a partner system. It looks like a folded up Bowser is following you at some points? The very little we saw of a battle system seems very interesting, seems like a return to the stage idea but maybe  a bit more kabuki?

A new trailer has been released. It was already somewhat implied in the previous trailer, but now it is confirmed that this new game will once again feature partners that travel with Mario. 

First impressions:

As expected, the aesthetic is super appealing. Very colorful and vibrant, as expected of Paper Mario, and the origami theme is very well implemented.

The combat caught me by surprise, cause I didn't get that far in the trailers. It's more like a puzzle than that of older games, which I like.

On another note: Even though the game gives you the option to in some dialogues, it seems that no matter how many times you try to say you'll join the villains, the game finds ways to not make that possible. That's pretty lame, lol

30 minutes ago, Thar said:

First impressions:

As expected, the aesthetic is super appealing. Very colorful and vibrant, as expected of Paper Mario, and the origami theme is very well implemented.

The combat caught me by surprise, cause I didn't get that far in the trailers. It's more like a puzzle than that of older games, which I like.

On another note: Even though the game gives you the option to in some dialogues, it seems that no matter how many times you try to say you'll join the villains, the game finds ways to not make that possible. That's pretty lame, lol

I'm glad to see it seems good so far.

I was gonna pick it up but my birthday is soon and my brother strongly hinted that I should avoid getting any video games until then lol