radio414

The "What Should I Play?" Thread

Was going to just make a status for this but I figured it could be its own thread. If you're looking for game recommendations, just post some details in here like system, what you generally like to play, price range, whatever you feel comforable with and other people can come in and help out. I'll start:

I currently have thirty-five (35) Nintendollars on my Switch account. and was wondering what the best way to spend that was. I haven't played much that's on there, so I'm pretty open to anything, though if I had to narrow it down, the less hair-trigger reflexes the better. That's not to say no action at all -- I'm just worse at that stuff.

4 hours ago, radio414 said:

I currently have thirty-five (35) Nintendollars on my Switch account. and was wondering what the best way to spend that was. I haven't played much that's on there, so I'm pretty open to anything, though if I had to narrow it down, the less hair-trigger reflexes the better. That's not to say no action at all -- I'm just worse at that stuff.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - and by extension, Cadence of Hyrule - are rhythm-based roguelikes. The two games play pretty similarly - move, attack, and do just about everything to the beat - but the similarities end there. Aside from the obvious case of the latter featuring Legend of Zelda characters, songs, and settings, it's my personal observation that Cadence of Hyrule seems to be a bit slower-paced overall compared to Crypt of the Necrodancer. I would look into gameplay for both games to see which, if either of them, is more your style. Crypt of the Necrodancer goes for 20 dollars, and Cadence of Hyrule is just a wee bit pricier at 25 dollars.

But maybe just because you're not good at action doesn't mean you don't want any. Terraria is an inexpensive 2D voxel game with a progression system, building, and more. While there's plenty of boss fights to work your way through, I don't know if I'd call any of them hair-trigger levels of fast. This could just be personal bias, since I play a lot of Dead Cells; I'd advise watching some gameplay for yourself to make sure it's not too fast. However, if you get Terraria, I implore of you to absolutely get the PC version instead of Switch version if in any way possible. Not only does the PC version have more content due to being on the latest patch (1.4), but it's also a third of the price. While the Switch version goes for 30 whole nintenbucks, the Steam version of the game sells for only 10. Plus, you'd get to hang out with other broskis around the site who have Terraria if you got PC.

I also would recommend Undertale if you don't have it. For only 15 bucks, it's a solid few hours of fun as you explore the different routes the game has to offer. The game shouldn't really need any introduction past that at this point. Finally, I took the liberty of looking at games from the 0-30 dollar price range until I got bored of it. Here are a few of my personal suggestions that I spotted, their prices, and a very brief summary on why I'd recommend this game.

Spoiler

Baba Is You ($15): Mind-bending puzzle game that revolves around changing the rules of the game to win. If puzzle games are your forte, would definitely give this a look.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy ($30): Was gifted this on Steam, and it's been a lot of fun using my noggin to work out murder cases and prove my client innocent. Uses sharp thinking and quick wit more than lightning reflexes and hardcore grinding.

Untitled Goose Game ($20): Haven't personally played, but seems like simple dumb fun being an obnoxious goose.

I'm notoriously pretty bad at giving suggestions for things to watch/play, but hopefully one of these ends up being up your alley. This is a good thread idea you've got going here.

14 hours ago, Summer Yui said:

Crypt of the Necrodancer - and by extension, Cadence of Hyrule

But maybe just because you're not good at action doesn't mean you don't want any. Terraria

I also would recommend Undertale

I have Crypt, Terraria, and Undertale on Steam, as well as DS cartriges of the PWAA trilogy, so probably not those but I'll definitely look more into Cadence of Hyrule, Baba is You, and Goose, thanks!

I personally am not looking for recommendations, my backlog is pretty deep. But I do have some recommendations based on my preferences, these are all PS4, will let y'all know about games that appear on other systems, I'll break it down into genres that I currently play

Story Driven Games

Watch Dogs series (1, 2, and Legion) [Watch Dogs 1 appears on Windows, PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, XBOX One and Wii U, Watch Dogs 2 appears on Windows, PS4 and XBOX One, Watch Dogs Legion appears on Windows, PS4, PS5, XBOX One, XBOX Series S, XBOX Series X and Google Stadia]
If you want a fun series based on hacking cities (Chicago in 1, San Francisco in 2, and London in Legion), then this is your franchise. Each entry builds on the previous and adds more to it, in 2 we got the ability to parkour over barricades and walls and such, and Legion, we gained the ability to recruit NPCs and make them playable, granting you special abilities (good and bad abilities), outfits, weapons, and vehicles. I personally prefer 2, but as a whole the franchise is absolutely a blast.

RACING

I struggled with this genre because there's not many good racing games on PS4, but there is one that stands out above the rest... Wreckfest. You want a destruction derby type of game? You want some wacky vehicles, like a drivable sofa? You want a career mode that isn't the best by no stretch but is still good? Wreckfest is your game! Wreckfest is available on Steam, PS4, XBOX One and will be releasing on PS5 June 1, 2021.

Open World

This one is easy, No Man's Sky. Ever since it bombed on its release, Hello Games has been hard at work to make it the game they promised it was supposed to be at launch. I picked the game up prior to their NEXT Update, so I played a bit of the buggy and disappointing version before the update. Then they released NEXT, which was a start to changing the game, then they released The Abyss, which allowed underwater exploration, Visions, which introduced new planetary biomes, Beyond, which allowed VR connectivity plus did an overhaul on the NPCs you encounter, Synthesis, which improved the quality of life for the game, Living Ship, which introduced "mysterious space encounters", Exo Mech, which introduced a new Exocraft as well as updates to existing exocraft, Crossplay, which allows crossplay between all systems that can run the game, Desolation, which adds abandoned space freighters and gives a bit of a horror feel to the game, Origins, which introduced new creatures and weather conditions, and the current update is called Next Generation, which allows smoother gameplay across all consoles plus adds all previous updates to the current generation of consoles. No Man's Sky can be run on PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX One, XBOX Series S and XBOX Series X.

RPG/JRPG

I grouped this genre together because the only RPGs I've played are Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory and Digimon World Next Order. Cyber Sleuth 1 & 2 are miles better than Next Order, in my opinion, and even though I don't speak Japanese it's fun to follow along with the text and there's more Digimon to choose from in the Cyber Sleuth games, and digivolution doesn't take as long and isn't near as strict. Cyber Sleuth games are currently on PS4, Switch and PC and Next Order is only on PS4.

Sports
Rocket League, hands down. It has soccer, basketball, hockey, cool vehicles, exclusive vehicles (or liveries) depending on your system (Sweet Tooth for PS4, Hogsticker & Armadillo for XBOX One and Mario NSR, Luigi NSR and Samus' Gunship for the Switch), Psyonix is constantly adding new vehicles and new maps. It's currently Free to Play on 

Microsoft Windows (Steam/Epic Games Store)
PlayStation 4
Xbox One
Xbox Series X|S
Nintendo Switch

If anyone wants to throw recommendations my way:

• I have little to no interest in story or plot, but I love learning about certain characters and watching them develop.
  • I like enough challenge to be interested, but not too much as to get frustrated.
  • I rarely play things for extended periods of time, cause I'm easily distracted/burned out.
  • I like exploring, but I also want things to do and I like progressing and being rewarded.
  • If I'm to play something for long, I'll usually have a podcast or recorded livestream playing in the background, so I prefer something that I can only half pay attention to while playing.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone feels like it.

12 minutes ago, Thar said:

If anyone wants to throw recommendations my way:

Did you end up checking out DemonCrawl? You expressed interest in it in that achievements thread; it's a Minesweeper game with Roguelike mechanics, so all the mines are replaced with monsters and there are items and coins to be found in the empty spaces. It's actually not the only game like this I know about -- Radical Dungeon Sweeper also exists, though I haven't played it and to my understanding it's more a Roguelike game with Minesweeper mechanics, if that makes sense.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:23 PM, radio414 said:

Did you end up checking out DemonCrawl? You expressed interest in it in that achievements thread; it's a Minesweeper game with Roguelike mechanics, so all the mines are replaced with monsters and there are items and coins to be found in the empty spaces. It's actually not the only game like this I know about -- Radical Dungeon Sweeper also exists, though I haven't played it and to my understanding it's more a Roguelike game with Minesweeper mechanics, if that makes sense.

Not yet, but I've been meaning to. Kinda hesitant to buy any more games cause I've splurged a bit on a few and I haven't played much of either. Definitely an interesting concept, though, so maybe I'll just get it now to play later.

EDIT: Ended up getting them. Very interesting and refreshing take on Minesweeper. I'm enjoying them so far.

Edited by Thar