Mr. Hyde

My Hero Academia: Year One [IC/NA/PG-16]

c8vVeoJ.png

"Beat it, twerp.  I'm not here to make friends. If you don't remember my name, I'm gonna send you flyin'...If you ain't got the courtesy to remember mine, I ain't gonna remember yours."

Ray of sunshine...wonderful. Makes it seem like she's an angsty girl...well things can't get too much w-

"What the hell is this reject gallery?"

Yuudai winced slightly, turning his gaze towards the door and saw the red-haired girl from the other day. His face met his palm almost immediately, regretting the fact of the thought he was previously thinking before she walked in. Regardless, he did his best not to acknowledge her, especially after the fact that she seemed to be pretty cross with hi- THWACK! The young man felt something basically hit the back of his head, as it slightly caused him to knock his face into his desk. "...OW!!" he grumbled, raising his head, rubbing the back of it only to look down and see a rock by his desk.

And the person who threw it...

"I brought that in from outside JUST IN CASE... FUCKER! You better have a good reason to be here when the teacher asks, What's-Your-Name... Else I'll kick you out the goddamn window. Have your head find another rock outside."

"Sheesh...you DID forget that you happened to be the one who attacked me, right?" he grumbled, shaking his head. "And it's not 'What's-Your-Name'. It's Shiba Yuudai." Yuudai kept rubbing the back of his head, turning his head to stop facing Firecracker. Sheesh...so we get the Ray of Sunshine bancho and Firecracker...between the two, I think Napalm would've been better.

ksARFRH.png

One by one, more and more students started filling the classroom. Including a large beetle guy in a bee costume, Suda, that polite girl Hibiki vaguely recognized from exam day, and...

Oh no. It's the other dangerous girl. Hopefully she and the tall girl who Hibiki didn't remember if she'd introduced herself, didn't get into too many fights. Fighting among classmates was bad! The polite girl also mentioned homework. That question about being a hero, right? Well, if nothing else, Hibiki already knew what it meant for her, though it did get her wondering what her new classmates had in mind. Something exciting? Something romantic?

"I can't really afford to get kicked out...are you guys just gonna bs it too?"

...not something bad, she hoped. Come to think of it, she'd asked Hibiki for her name during exam day, right? Yeah. She never got to say it though. Leaning over toward the girl's desk, Hibiki said "It's Hibiki by the way. Himura Hibiki. Sorry I didn't get the chance to introduce myself on exam day."

“What makes me a hero? I really don’t know what would make me a hero. I was pretty much wanted to enhance this quirk so I could follow my dream of being a magician. . . I guess I'm doing hero work on the side then.” Taro did it, he passed the exam but in a less heroic way than it should've. The only, hopefully not permanent, injury he got suffered was a numb shoulder, but all in all, today was pretty good. Though he was quite puzzled by what the principal has asked those who passed the exam that he was just laying on his bed staring at the ceiling for hours since getting back home. Looking at his wizard alarm clock, he pressed a button at its feet and asked him “What is it that makes someone a hero?”

Everyone is a Wizard at heart! However, it is those who teach us how to use magic properly are true magicians!

“Wow. . . I was not expecting that to come from you, but I don't think I've ever heard you say that. Maybe I'm still delirious from today, or maybe it is just a coincidence.” Taro laid back down as he was pondering the words he heard as he drifted into sleep.

Monday finally came as Taro got up early to prepare for the day as today he continued to think of what his alarm clock said a few nights before. Taro even tried to find the exact phrase from the wizard, but it never came. . . What a weird magical alarm clock. It was a strange night, but nevertheless, the words never left him. After getting on his school uniform, packed his pockets with simple tricks and school supplies, he left for his first day of UA, wondering if the wizard is right about what he said. His walk a quite a normal one as the usual cars passed by, seeing the same people coming and going, though today was going to be different as he saw the school come into view. The school that is purposely instituted to train the heroes of tomorrow, and he made it to the hero course. Although the words the principal came back to haunt him as he crossed the entrance to the school, now his mind is a battlefield between a superpowered being and a wizard. . . “Let’s hope for the best!”

As he approached 1-B, he immediately heard yelling and bickering amongst his classmates from the hallway. Oh, shoot. Just peering into the room, he could see the beetle guy, the silver-haired kid. . . Oh! And even Yamauchi is in here, at least it won’t be a room full of total strangers. However, there must be something to defuse the current state of the room, though it might not since one of them threw a rock at another student, maybe it's worth a shot. Reaching into his pockets, he grabbed out an mp3, a mini speaker, a pair of sunshades, and an impact smoke bomb that makes a small cloud, but not big enough to smoke out the room. “Well, this can go really good or really bad. Let’s do this!”

24k Magic

Turning the speaker up as loud as possible, then throwing the smoke bomb on the ground making a small bang before he walked into the room. As he passed through the smoke, he casually lowered his shades, “Hey, what’s up? My name is Taro Tenkara. Magician, Hero in training, and your classmate for the next few years. Nice to meet all of you!” He took a seat near a bat looking girl as he put his speaker and mp3 away while putting his glasses in his shirt pocket as they disappeared from view behind the blazer jacket. He took a deep breath as he watched to see their reaction to his appearance. . . Maybe I did something wrong?!

mVvsZap.png?1

Yuuka smiled to see that she was in the same class as Diana, as her exuberant foreign partner had walked in with a smile and butter on her face. As the white haired boy had answered her question, Yuuka smiled at the response. As Diana made her response, one she didn't fully understand, she still got enough of it to let out a giggle. The man then walking up to Diana and offering to wipe the butter off her face was then the most normal of things to happen. Following that was a man in a bee suit, who was a beetle, making a large load of bee puns, a girl threatening to bash a student's head in with a rock and a theatrical fellow who had come in with a smoke explosion. She had watched the first set of entrances with the same neutral, yet studious, expression and gave a small round of applause at the magician-esque entrance. 

Turning her attention to both Itsuki and the girl who had a much more thug demeanor to her the day before. Her smile remained at its generally more soft expression, with the girl merely saying, "well, lying isn't very hero-like, so I'd probably refrain from it." Putting her finger to her chin, tapping at it, the girl then had a big smile across her face as she said, "but I'm sure since we're all here, there's something honestly hero-like about all of you to talk about." Or at the very least, Yuuka believed, there ought to be. Once Diana had gotten the name from her savior of a smudgy face, she turned to her with a smile saying, "as you can tell, I'm very much excited to see what the day holds." 

Katsurou gave a calm smile as the girl hastily took his handkerchief and cleaned her face. Upon closer inspection, this girl did not appear to be as much as a foreigner as some of the others in his class. While her light hair and height were clearly European trait, some her facial features, as well as her apparent bilingualism, seemed to suggest a Japanese parent. Once the girl was finished cleaning her face, she turned back to him with the soiled handkerchief.

"What was your name, again?"

“My name is Yamauchi Katsurou. Glad to make your acquaintance. I hope we will have a good year together!” Katsurou replied cheerfully as he gingerly took back the soiled handkerchief, “I hope that Japan has been hospitable to you so far!”

As more students came in, making dramatic entrances, it became clear that a school for those with Quirks attracted quite a cast of characters. Katsurou recognized Taro as he also made a dramatic entrance, completely with smoke, mirrors and fanfare. Giving a polite laugh and applause, Katsurou waved Taro over.

“I am truly blessed to have you in my class as well Tenkara-san!” he said with a smile before turning back to Diana, “This is Tenkara Taro. I would not have passed the practical exam if it were not for his help.”

"H-H-Hey!  Watch where you're lookin' shorty!  Or you'll get sent flyin' too!"  

One hand on her hip Valerie flashed Misu a thumbs up and winked. "Looking forward to seeing you try. Don't get too worked up though, not befitting a lady." She smirked, clearly making a joke referring to the skirt again.

"Good morning everyone. Pleasure to be in the same class as you all.  Did you all do your homework?"

"I can't really afford to get kicked out...are you guys just gonna bs it too?"

Valerie shook her head, looking over to the girl who had posed the initial question. Such a happy, fragile looking, girl. She didn't seem like much but there had to be something to her right? "Nah this question won't be a problem. I was born to be a hero so there's no way I'm gonna get this one wrong."

"Same class, huh? What a coincidence."

Oh yeah it was...what was the name....that guy.

"Seems like it. Suppose fate wants you to keep trying to chase me. It's the best way to get strong after all! Just hope you don't mind being behind me all the time."

The smirk on her face twitched slightly as the Beetle guy came through like a circus clown. It didn't matter how big the guy was he was clearly not taking this seriously. Acting like that, making a mockery of heroes, she was going to make sure she absolutely crushed this guy in everything from here out. She couldn't let someone like that to show her up.

While she kept a grin on her face she was steadily growing more concerned about her classmates. Next was that guy who had asked for her name before. The one who had tried to flirt.

"Shit, we were supposed to do something for today, weren't we," Itsuki said. "Whatever, I'll come up with somethin'."

"Hey." Valerie said, moving towards the boy. "Do you really think you're gonna get anywhere with that attitude? If you really want to be a hero you're gonna need a hell of a lot more VIGOR than that."

The moment she finished this statement the magician entered. His entrance, while over the top, didn't bother her as much as the bee. She could tell this was him showing his own form of hard work. It was the statement that followed that bothered her.

“This is Tenkara Taro. I would not have passed the practical exam if it were not for his help.”

"Then should you even be here?" She thought. If he needed someone else's help to pass could he possibly cut it?

Her opinion of her classmates was really nose-diving when she noticed the aggressive chick messing with another student. She put a hand up towards Itsuki, whom she had been talking to, "One second."

She moved in front of Kess, grin not leaving her face. "We're not in a competition right now. Pretty sure attacking another classmate like that is looked down on. If you plan to stick around it might be best you calm down." Her grin turned into a bright smile. "But I guess if you want to be the class bully I can show you what happens to a bully when a hero is present."

As more students began entering the classroom, Lesnar could see his presence fading in Valerie's eyes. Nonetheless, she gave a response to his cringy remark anyway:

"Seems like it. Suppose fate wants you to keep trying to chase me. It's the best way to get strong after all! Just hope you don't mind being behind me all the time."

Yet again relieved to have gotten a friendly response - albeit backhanded - Lesnar felt the pressure leave him through his pores. Lesnar gave a light chuckle in response, feeling a sense of rivalry with the smirk that she wore. It wasn't until her expression went from cheeky confidence to annoyance when Lesnar noticed her eyes shift past him to see another student entering. Lesnar turned to look; someone dressed in a bee costume made himself obnoxiously known. Following Valerie's impression, a twitch sparked on his face as well.

"Well, I guess we gotta deal with a lot of unusual people. So, uh... where are you f-" Lesnar turned back to face Valerie, only to realize she had moved on. The outline of where she once stood blinked in the empty space that he now looked through, almost foolishly. He stood there frozen mid-sentence, his face now twitching for a different reason. With a sigh of both frustration and acceptance, he went back to the seat that he reserved right next to the door. He had always preferred to be closest to the door for easy access to the hallway, whether it's to be the first one out or to cause the least amount of disturbance upon entering or exiting during class. On the way there, he had one headphone in with music on (Beat It - Michael Jackson), which could not have been more perfect to accommodate the moonwalk that the guy in the bee costume did out of nowhere. The moment nearly broke Lesnar into a fit of chuckles, which he tried his hardest to contain as he went to take his seat.

As he waited for class to begin, more mingling commenced amongst the other students. The crowded chatter felt slightly overwhelming, but he shrugged it off knowing that no one was talking to him, which made him feel both relieved and, to his confliction, kinda left out. He couldn't help but notice Valerie walking over to someone he recognized as that one guy who tried flirting with her on the grounds. Scoffing lightly to himself, another bold presence became known.

Wonderful. Another arrogant fronter, as if we didn't have enough of those already. Yes, Lesnar could only recall one other, but to him that was enough, if not too much for his preference. As if she couldn't have been more of an ass, Lesnar watched as she grabbed a rock and threw it at the back of someone's head.

"I brought that in from outside JUST IN CASE... FUCKER! You better have a good reason to be here when the teacher asks, What's-Your-Name... Else I'll kick you out the goddamn window. Have your head find another rock outside."

How the hell did I end up in this class... Lesnar thought as he cringed to the impact of the rock. Tension lingered in the air like high humidity as he laid his arms across his desk, resting his head until the teacher would arrive for things to calm down... at some point. However, he would try to get a word in to the bee guy should he pass by him:

"Hey man, not gonna lie, you kinda made my day. I just so happened to be listening to Michael Jackson while you were moonwalking. It couldn't have been more perfect. I'm Lesnar. What's your name?"

Edited by Thar

PysLiPD.png?1

"<I dunno, maybe one of humility?>" One of his classmates called from the back. She spoke in English which caught Suda off guard - luckily, he could understand her. He simply scoffed at the girl, but before he could say anything someone else started talking to her.

And then Herc, the legendary Beetle Man, walked into the room. Suda couldn't help but laugh, applauding him as he confidently strolled into the room. Suda was glad to not only see him actually take his part of the bargain, but also going with it so well. "Can you bee-lieve it, man?" Herc asked as he moonwalked towards his desk and dropped a bag on it. "Bee-tle Man has gifted you with the gift of Honey... Nut Cheerios,"

"Lookin' good Herc!" Suda called, giving the boy a thumbs up as he moonwalked away towards the back. He kept his ears perked as he sat down, taking a look at the bag of Cheerios that had been gifted to him. He overheard the chatter among his fellow classmates - some seems worried about the upcoming question, while others were bickering about some nonsense. As time went on, more and more students showed up. The one that caught his eye, however, was when Taro came in with an impressive show of magical talent. Suda gave Taro a thumbs up as the magician took a seat next to him. "Nice entrance!" He said, leaning towards the boy. He took another look around the room, scowling as his face glanced towards some of his fellow student's outfits. He turned back to Tero. "I'm glad at least someone else here knows a thing or two about style."

"Nice entrance!"

“Oh! Thanks.” Next to Taro was the silver-haired boy from the exams, but he seemed to enjoy the display Taro made. Took a second to look around a bit more to familiarize himself with this new area, along with the rest of his classmates. All of his classmates, outside of at least 2, didn’t have any quirk features to them, so far. He looked towards Katsurou as he was talking to some girl before they made eye contact, motioning him to go over. As he proceeded to get up, the silver-hair classmate spoke yet again, "I'm glad at least someone else here knows a thing or two about style."

“Well, I try my best to stand out among the crowd, somewhat like the beetle man over there, but thanks again.” He made his way over to Katsurou as he introduced Taro to the girl he was talking with, complementing how much help Taro was to him. “Yeah, great to be here as well, but I mean, it wouldn’t be possible without your help either, thanks to Goop guy’s services. My shoulder is slightly numb, but hopefully, it goes away soon.” Turning to the girl extending his hand to her, “However, it is a pleasure to meet you, Miss. I hope that our time here proves to be a valuable one as we work together to improve our quirks.” After shaking her hand, he turned back to Katsurou and putting his hand on his shoulder, "Let's do our best to not let the Goop men ruin our time here. I hate to see myself knocked out again in the same year."

whIkgqw.png

"well, lying isn't very hero-like, so I'd probably refrain from it.  but I'm sure since we're all here, there's something honestly hero-like about all of you to talk about.  as you can tell, I'm very much excited to see what the day holds." 

"Well ain't you the little ray of sunshine."  Misu said, kicking her legs over her desk.  "Yeah...I suppose lyin' ain't gonna cut it..."  But at the back of her mind, was there even a good enough reason for her to be here, besides wanting to help her parents?  It was so embarrassing to even think that was the reason she was here, what would the class even think?  Well, it wasn't like she cared what they thought anyway.  Anyone who disagreed would get- 

"It's Hibiki by the way. Himura Hibiki. Sorry I didn't get the chance to introduce myself on exam day."

"Oh yeah.  You're that bat chick that totally tried to stand up to me."  Misu respected anyone that had the guts to even approach her.  The smaller the person was greatly affected her opinion as well.  "Well, you don't look the hero type...so you better not disappoint me.  Or else you're gonna go-"  

"Oho?"  Misu hadn't noticed, but that one chick from the entrance exams had landed in her classroom.  Misu watched Valerie, as the girl started to approach the girl with a fiery spirit.  Misu shrugged, as she followed closely behind.  As the two stood side by side next to the girl, a palpable, menacing aura could be felt permeating from them.  They both looked down on the girl with wicked smiles.  

"We're not in a competition right now. Pretty sure attacking another classmate like that is looked down on. If you plan to stick around it might be best you calm down.  But I guess if you want to be the class bully I can show you what happens to a bully when a hero is present."

"Yeah, why don't we all just get along, huh?  After all, we're classmates now."  Misu's grin widened, as she cracked her knuckles.  "Or, we could do this the hard way.  Either or...I don't really mind.  With this chick and me, I'm pretty sure we can send you fl-"

"Oh dear, oh dear~!"  A voice could be heard ringing from the doorway.  A well built, tall lady had slid the door open while everyone was busy conversing.  "Let's settle down now everyone~!  Let's all get in our seats~."  The lady walked across the room and towards the desk at the front, grabbing a piece of chalk and writing on the board behind her.  The words spelled out, Ms. Hitotsume.  "Good Morning, everyone~!  My name is Ms. Hitotsume~!  It's a pleasure to meet you all~!  Let's have a good year of learning~!"  She started humming, as she looked around the room at all of her class, but as she scanned, she visibly became more and more ill.  "My, my~..."  She said, shakily, "we sure do have a cavalcade of characters here...haha..."  Somehow, all of them managed to disrupt the dress code in their own unique, delinquent ways.  The most excessive of the bunch was most certainly his.  "E-e-excuse me young man..." She said, pointing to Herc, "but could you please take that off.  You must be a foreigner, but I find your lack of respect for our schools rules to beeee~..."  Her eyes turned sharp, as her hand slammed on the desk.  "MOST DISDAINFUL!"  She pinched the bridge of her nose, giving out a rather large sigh.  "I can't believe I took this job..."  She said under her breath.  She removed her hand up from the desk, and brought both of them to her chin with a clap, smiling as if she hadn't made a scene.  "Now, what was I missing~?"  She thought aloud, clapping her hands together again once she found her answer.  "Ah yes~!  Your homework assignment from Sharp Shogun~!!  Please come up in any order, and give me your answer~!!"  She clapped her hands again, her eyes growing stern once more.  "And make sure it's a good one~~!"  

mVvsZap.png?1

Yuuka didn't seem bothered by Misu's comment about her, simply giggling saying, "I suppose so." It was then, though, that she watched something she hadn't been expecting. While others were socializing with each other, Yuuka's attention was brought towards Misu and Valerie, seeing them about approach the bombastic and aggressive red head. As the two of them confronted and called out the girl, then punctuating these with their own variety of threat's, Yuuka couldn't help but let out a small, "oh..." As she watched them, her usual cheery and calm smile briefly seemed  to give way to something more interested, though it was only brief as their teacher had come in. 

Yuuka had returned to her original expression as she watched Ms. Hitotsume write her name on the board and introduce herself. Yuuka seemed curious about the woman, knowing that she had to be a hero of some kind to here, and so she seemed to be more observing the woman than she was just listening. However, as her attention was turned to Herc, even Yuuka was shocked for a moment by the sudden demeanor change of their teacher. Though the woman quickly turned back to her original expression (facade?) Yuuka couldn't help but get a very...forceful, first impression from her. Though, rather than frighten, this only made the white haired girl even more curious about their teacher, though the time for questions was later. 

As it came time to present their homework assignment, Yuuka raised her hand and said, "I'll go first." Standing up and making her way to the front of the room, Yuuka figured she might as well go first. After all, she was much more interested in the other's responses, and didn't want to interrupt them once they got going. Smiling as she stood at the front of the class, the girl said, "hello class. My name is Itou Yuuka. A pleasure to formally meet you all." Giving a short bow to the class, she then stood back upright and said. "As for what it means to be a hero. Well," the girl put a hand to her chin as she said, "there's a lot to it, but if I had to put it down into one word, it'd be instinct." Nodding to herself, she continued, "I believe that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero." With her answer being done, the girl walked back to her desk and sat down, awaiting the others. 

Edited by Skaia

ohSLUWk.png

Herc really wasn't sure what to make of this class. You'd think someone would notice and appreciate the sweet moves of a pop king. He had spent a long time perfecting those moves to, seeing as he was a giant beetle, it wasn't easy for him to pull off. Well, he supposed that wasn't why he was here anyways. Seemed like it was a lively class. That was good. He'd probably make some good friends here.

"Hey man, not gonna lie, you kinda made my day. I just so happened to be listening to Michael Jackson while you were moonwalking. It couldn't have been more perfect. I'm Lesnar. What's your name?" One of his classmates came up to talk to him. 

"Ah, I see you to are a man of culture," Herc said with a large grin. "It's nice to meet ya, Lesnar. The name's Herc. Glad you enjoyed the moonwalk. It wasn't easy to learn with all my bulk, ya know?"

"Nice entrance!" Suda called out, causing Herc to look up. "I'm glad at least someone else here knows a thing or two about style."

"Oy!" Herc called out in an obvious joking tone. "Are you trying to claim that this majestic superhero outfit you suggested isn't stylish? I am wounded, good sir!" Sadly, it seemed any more jabs and wits would have to be traded for some other day.

"Oh dear, oh dear~!" It seemed the teacher had arrived. "Let's settle down now everyone~!  Let's all get in our seats~."  Herc had to admit, their teacher was a looker. She wasn't married either, noting the 'Ms.' in her name. That could only mean one thing.

Someone somewhere was missing out.

"E-e-excuse me young man..." She said, grabbing Herc's attention, "but could you please take that off.  You must be a foreigner, but I find your lack of respect for our schools rules to beeee~..."  Her eyes turned sharp, as her hand slammed on the desk.  "MOST DISDAINFUL!" Heh. She went along with the bee puns. But man, she flipped attitudes really fast. Well, today he learned that even beetle men could have fear boners. 

"You got it," Herc gave a thumbs up before standing up, slipping off the suit and placing it on the back of his seat.

"Ah yes~!  Your homework assignment from Sharp Shogun~!!  Please come up in any order, and give me your answer~!!"  She clapped her hands again, her eyes growing stern once more.  "And make sure it's a good one~~!"  

"Hello class. My name is Itou Yuuka. A pleasure to formally meet you all." A small girl went up first. She seemed relatively normal... in fact, most of the class did. "As for what it means to be a hero. Well," the girl put a hand to her chin as she said, "there's a lot to it, but if I had to put it down into one word, it'd be instinct. I believe that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero." With that... answer... given, Yuuka walked back to her seat, not missing a beat. Herc, however, was confused.

"I... I don't think that was what our homework assignment was," Herc commented, "Problem is, I'm not the best at Japanese, so I totally could have just misinterpreted what the Shogun Dude said," He paused to himself, thinking about how he should proceed. "Eh, screw it, I worked too hard thinking about that answer to change it now. What's the worst that could happen, right?"

The beetle stood up, carefully navigating to the front of the room, and after a minute or to, made it with minimal difficulty. "Hello, I'm Herc Coleo...," He then paused. "Wait, or is it Coleo Herc? Japanese people do family names first, right? So Coleo Herc, yeah, yeah, that," He shook his head and waved his hands like he was pushing something to the side. "That ain't the important thing. The important thing is 'What does it mean to you, to be a hero?'. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure on what it means to be a hero, but, I know why I wanna be a hero, and well, that's the root of what it means to be one," He paused to mull the words over in his head. He was already rambling, he wanted to make sure this part of the message made sense. "It's almost like... a responsibility, I suppose," he finally commented. "When you can do the things we can, and you don't... well...  when the bad things happen... then they happened because of you," He paused, thinking about his dad, thinking about how he would say it.

"I guess when it comes down to it, what being hero is to me is a responsibility to use my power to help others," He felt like there was an even better way to word it, but he wasn't going to find it up here. He headed back to his seat, sitting down. He was never really good at talking seriously. He was much more comfortable joking and snarking.

"Ah, I see you to are a man of culture. It's nice to meet ya, Lesnar. The name's Herc. Glad you enjoyed the moonwalk. It wasn't easy to learn with all my bulk, ya know?"

Lesnar couldn't help but chuckle. Based on first impressions, he assumed this guy was a joker, and so far he assumed correctly. That being said, the aura this... beetle man (?) gave off left Lesnar in high spirits; inspiration, if you will. That being said, Lesnar left him to chat with others as he went back to his desk, only just now realizing that he got up from it. Life was full of moments like that for him. He would set forth to do something, then have no memory of setting forth in the first place. Either way, he knew that whenever that occurred, he felt good about it, which is all that mattered.

"Oh dear, oh dear~!" As a voice sounded from the doorway, Lesnar instinctively sat up, "Let's settle down now everyone~!  Let's all get in our seats~." Lesnar was calm, and he was in his seat, though he soon came to realize this woman was referring to the rest of the class, additionally realizing rather lately that she was most likely the teacher. "Let's settle down now everyone~!  Let's all get in our seats~." Yep, definitely the teacher.

"Good Morning, everyone~!  My name is Ms. Hitotsume~!  It's a pleasure to meet you all~!  Let's have a good year of learning~!"

For a moment, Lesnar didn't much care for the bubbly and cheerful attitude that Ms. Hitotsume projected. It seemed rather forced. He listened regardless.

"E-e-excuse me young man... but could you please take that off.  You must be a foreigner, but I find your lack of respect for our schools rules to beeee~... MOST DISDAINFUL!"

He grew more attentive when she addressed Herc, the guy he was just talking to earlier. His attention then turned to concern when she suddenly raised her voice, as if she was holding it back behind her positive attitude. It was then when Lesnar realized that she was definitely just putting on a presentation, most notably behind the incoherent mumbling she did under her breath. While he couldn't hear, let alone understand, what she was saying, he knew there was a sign of frustration within it. He wouldn't question or blame her in that regard.

"Ah yes~!  Your homework assignment from Sharp Shogun~!!  Please come up in any order, and give me your answer~!! And make sure it's a good one~~!"

Oh crap, that's right... the question. Lesnar had pondered on it occasionally between the exam and this class, but he still struggled to put it into words. That being said, another realization came to him as he saw one of the girls walk up.

"Hello class. My name is Itou Yuuka. A pleasure to formally meet you all."

Another presentation? Fuck. Another surge of anxiety hit, just like before. It wouldn't be as perilous as before, what with the significantly smaller amount of people in front of him, but that only barely helped.

"As for what it means to be a hero. Well, there's a lot to it, but if I had to put it down into one word, it'd be instinct. I be lieve that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero."

Instinct. I guess that's one way to put it. As if pieces of a puzzle were being connected in his head by others, the words started coming to him. This would work; the meanings that the others expressed would help him form an answer of his own. Granted the meaning needed to be from the heart rather than just plagiarising other people, but Lesnar needed all the help he could get. This was certainly a start. On top of the speculation of her words, Lesnar couldn't help but be mesmerized by the gentle and kind nature that Yuuka portrayed. Given that he was not often exposed to a social environment, he found himself feeling fond of every female in the classroom... including the teacher. Nonetheless, he figured he would just go up and get things over with, but maybe after another student went up. That's when Herc stepped up.

"Hello, I'm Herc Coleo...," He then paused. "Wait, or is it Coleo Herc? Japanese people do family names first, right? So Coleo Herc, yeah, yeah, that,"

Another realization. Names were reversed here. Lesnar would have to remember that. Claypool Lesnar. Something seemed off about that, but he disregarded it as it would be addressed later if it was an issue.

"It's almost like... a responsibility, I suppose, When you can do the things we can, and you don't... well...  when the bad things happen... then they happened because of you,"

Responsibility. Another solid answer. Instinct and responsibility. While sensible, something just didn't click with those words. Searching through his vocabulary, it soon came to him. Just in time for Herc to finish, Lesnar would fill the void right afterwards. It was at that moment that, once again, he had no memory of getting up and walking to the front to face the whole class. All he knew was that he was standing there, frozen. Just like before, the entire classroom turned into a dark, misty shroud of red eyes fixed on him.

"H-h-h..." he began to speak, but found himself choking on his words. Everything he had formulated started to melt away in his mind. However, it was only his first day. With a deep breath, a clearing of his throat, and a hard swallow, he got words out.

"Hello, everyone. My name is Lesnar Claypool... or at least in America it is. I guess here it'd be... Claypool Lesnar?" like Herc, he paused, but he needed to get things out, "Anyway, to be a hero..." he pondered once more, though he knew he didn't have the luxury of sitting in silence like he did at his desk. He thought quickly, suddenly realizing the moments where he forgot about getting up to talk to Herc, or getting up to stand in front of the class. Those thoughts then flashed him back to America, on the broken streets of Brooklyn...

The lost kid. The stray gangsters. Younger Lesnar standing nearby watching but not stepping in. Fear kept him selfishly hidden. The kid was only going to get ice cream. He had money in his hands, gleefully heading over to get it. That's when they, the gangsters, tried to grab it from him. Resistance from this brave little soul resulted in him getting a backhand that knocked him over. That's when Lesnar felt it. The urge to act. Without thinking, he lunged with his palm stretched out as if to reach for the kid's hand. That's when the surge came. The force released, blasting the gangsters away. Despite saving this kid from further harm, the fact that he was harmed in the first place was his biggest regret. Had he acted earlier, the kid wouldn't be crying on the ground.

The memory blew through his mind in a flash, but in any case, he knew what he was going to say, "...being a hero, at least to me, is about the initiative. A hero stands out for their initiative to act for selfless reasons. In other words, they never hesitate to go out of their way to protect those who need it, regardless of who they are or who they're helping." With another slight pause, he reminisced about the memory he thought about earlier, snapping out of it to make a closing remark, "It's a pleasure to meet you all."

With that, he went back to his seat, once again having little memory of even being up there. He would then reflect on his answer, hoping it sufficed enough for him to stay.

ksARFRH.png

"Oh yeah. You're that bat chick that totally tried to stand up to me. Well, you don't look the hero type...so you better not disappoint me.  Or else you're gonna go-"  

She didn't introduce herself back. And was it really standing up to her? Was standing up to someone that easy? If that was the case, she had this standing up to evil thing down already! Some more chaos ensued, but then...

"Oh dear, oh dear~! Let's settle down now everyone~! Let's all get in our seats~."

This was the teacher, Ms. Hitotsume. For some reason, Hibiki expected someone with that name to be a bit bigger. Her voice could certainly get big though, as Hibiki noted when she called the beetle man's bee costume disdainful. Why was he wearing that thing anyway? Hibiki had worn some odd outfits before, sure, but never anything like that. But that didn't really matter anymore, because he took it off as ordered. And then it was homework time! Time for students to go up in any order and answer the question of what it meant to them to be a hero.

"I'll go first. Hello class. My name is Itou Yuuka. A pleasure to formally meet you all. As for what it means to be a hero. Well, there's a lot to it, but if I had to put it down into one word, it'd be instinct. I believe that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero."

That's a neat way to think about it!

"Hello, I'm Herc Coleo... Wait, or is it Coleo Herc? Japanese people do family names first, right? So Coleo Herc, yeah, yeah, that. That ain't the important thing. The important thing is 'What does it mean to you, to be a hero?'. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure on what it means to be a hero, but, I know why I wanna be a hero, and well, that's the root of what it means to be one. It's almost like... a responsibility, I suppose. When you can do the things we can, and you don't... well...  when the bad things happen... then they happened because of you. I guess when it comes down to it, what being hero is to me is a responsibility to use my power to help others,"

That's how I feel too! It was very hard for HIbiki to not blurt her response out loud. He was a bit mistaken about the name thing though.

"Hello, everyone. My name is Lesnar Claypool... or at least in America it is. I guess here it'd be... Claypool Lesnar? Anyway, to be a hero...  being a hero, at least to me, is about the initiative. A hero stands out for their initiative to act for selfless reasons. In other words, they never hesitate to go out of their way to protect those who need it, regardless of who they are or who they're helping. It's a pleasure to meet you all."

Hibiki nodded enthusiastically at each answer her classmates presented, and while the chance presented itself, the bat girl shot up from her seat, hand raised. Sharing these answers seemed exciting and like lots of fun! Even if the punishment for giving a bad answer was as harsh as expulsion "My turn!" Hibiki made for the front of the classroom, bowing before the class once she was there, and taking a quick moment to adjust her sunglasses. There was a bit just above the rims where the full light was getting in her eyes and it was bothering her. "Pleased to meet all of you. I'm Himura Hibiki! To me, being a hero is like, doing whatever you can to make the world a better place. Stopping bad guys, helping good guys that need it, and giving to your community and stuff. I've looked up to heroes ever since I met one as a little girl, so I always thought they're supposed to be these amazing people you'd want to look up to. Even if it's just by doing something small, being a hero means you should strive to make the world more peaceful. That's what I think anyway."

She started to head back to her desk, but suddenly stopped. "Oh, like this! Herc and Lesnar. We do foreign names in the order you would do them back home. It's small, but helping confused people with a question is something good, right? Thank you for listening." This time, for real, Hibiki went back to her desk.

Valerie wasn't sure how to feel about Misu joining her. Sure, it showed that the girl was more an ally than enemy, but the implication that she'd need Misu's help to beat this girl in a fight bothered her.

They weren't able to explore this much more as the teacher came in not long after and everyone had to get to their seats. Valerie chose a seat in the back corner where she could be a seat away from the rest. Her heat would likely be able to extend that far and in a long day of class she would imagine that the heat would make it difficult on anyone stuck in it.

She wasn't sure what to think of the teacher. She seemed so flowery and...fake. The Class 1-A teacher had felt much more honest and....hero-like to her. It was a bit of a let down for sure. But she couldn't let that keep her down. Whoever the teacher she just had to be sure to get to number one anyway.

The students began to answer the question and Valerie thought more about what she was going to say.

The answers given weren't...bad. But they lacked something to Valerie. She couldn't feel the conviction coming from them. So, as the bat girl took her seat Valerie, pushing off her desk, got to her feet and strode to the front of the class.

"You might know by now but I'm Valerie Clark!" The girl declared. She hooked her thumb at herself and stood with a wide stance and a wider grin.

"A hero does everything they can to protect those who can't protect themselves." She declared. "They fight past their own limits, work harder than anyone else, and never surrender in the face of evil. Being a hero isn't a choice or a goal. It's just what you are. Being a hero means putting the protection of innocents and the defeat of those who'd harm them before anything else. Being a hero means dedicating yourself to never letting evil win!" She took a deep breath. "And I'm going to be the best hero there ever was!"

whIkgqw.png

Misu and Valerie's shakedown was ended abruptly by the arrival of their teacher, Ms. Hitotsume.  With her giddy attitude, Misu found herself not being able to comprehend if this lady was actually a hero or not.  The bubbly nature of her voice was starting to grate Misu's eardrums...she could see herself skipping many classes in the future.  However, once Ms. Hitotsume dropped her kindly facade to yell at that ridiculous outfit that Beetle had put on, Misu couldn't help but crack a smile.  Maybe she was tougher than she looked.  Hopefully she'd get to test her at some point.  

"Hello class. My name is Itou Yuuka. A pleasure to formally meet you all.  There's a lot to it, but if I had to put it down into one word, it'd be instinct.  I believe that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero."

Snooze.

"It's almost like... a responsibility, I suppose, When you can do the things we can, and you don't... well...  when the bad things happen... then they happened because of you.  I guess when it comes down to it, what being hero is to me is a responsibility to use my power to help others."

Duh.

"...being a hero, at least to me, is about the initiative. A hero stands out for their initiative to act for selfless reasons. In other words, they never hesitate to go out of their way to protect those who need it, regardless of who they are or who they're helping.  It's a pleasure to meet you all."\

Isn't that what Yuuka said?  

"Pleased to meet all of you. I'm Himura Hibiki! To me, being a hero is like, doing whatever you can to make the world a better place. Stopping bad guys, helping good guys that need it, and giving to your community and stuff. I've looked up to heroes ever since I met one as a little girl, so I always thought they're supposed to be these amazing people you'd want to look up to. Even if it's just by doing something small, being a hero means you should strive to make the world more peaceful. That's what I think anyway."

This bat was a goody-two-shoes.  

"You might know by now but I'm Valerie Clark!  A hero does everything they can to protect those who can't protect themselves.  They fight past their own limits, work harder than anyone else, and never surrender in the face of evil. Being a hero isn't a choice or a goal. It's just what you are. Being a hero means putting the protection of innocents and the defeat of those who'd harm them before anything else. Being a hero means dedicating yourself to never letting evil win!  And I'm going to be the best hero there ever was!"

Yeah, yeah, the whole number 1 spiel.  Misu yawned, as she stretched her arms above her head.  As she picked at her teeth, she figured it was as good a time as any to get this whole thing over with.  She smacked her hand on her desk, and stood up, walking over towards the front, desperately trying to find somewhere to put her hands.  She couldn't stick them in her pockets...her skirt didn't have any.  As she turned to face the rest of the class, she gave a rather delinquent frown, picking at the innards of her ear.  

"Yo.  My name's Yoshino Misu.  Call me whatever you'd like.  But don't go makin' any dumb ideas."  Misu gripped the tip of her hat, pulling it down as she struggled to think.  "What being a hero means to me, huh?"  She sighed.  She didn't have the option of blowing this question off.  Her family was counting on her.  But when she thought of the question, something popped into the back of her mind.  Without another thought, she began to speak.  "Being a hero, to me, means being someone that someone else looks up to...Quirk or Quirkless."  Her sisters smiling face that morning almost made her break out into one in front of the whole class.  She scratched her cheek to stop herself.  "I mean...you can't disappoint the people who put so much faith in you, right?  Anyone who tells you differently ain't got enough guts.  And if there's one thing heroes are about, it's guts."    

c8vVeoJ.png

"Oh dear, oh dear~!Let's settle down now everyone~!  Let's all get in our seats~.Good Morning, everyone~!  My name is Ms. Hitotsume~!  It's a pleasure to meet you all~!  Let's have a good year of learning~!My, my~...we sure do have a cavalcade of characters here...haha...E-e-excuse me young man...but could you please take that off.  You must be a foreigner, but I find your lack of respect for our schools rules to beeee~...MOST DISDAINFUL! I can't believe I took this job...Now, what was I missing~?Ah yes~!  Your homework assignment from Sharp Shogun~!!  Please come up in any order, and give me your answer~!! And make sure it's a good one~~!"

Enter the teacher to keep a huge fight from breaking out between the bancho girl and the girl who seemed to have a fiery personality. Nevertheless, the class was beginning for the most part with the different students giving their answers to Sharp Shogun's assignment.

"I'll go first. Hello class. My name is Itou Yuuka. A pleasure to formally meet you all. As for what it means to be a hero. Well, there's a lot to it, but if I had to put it down into one word, it'd be instinct. I believe that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero."

"Hello, I'm Herc Coleo... Wait, or is it Coleo Herc? Japanese people do family names first, right? So Coleo Herc, yeah, yeah, that. That ain't the important thing. The important thing is 'What does it mean to you, to be a hero?'. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure on what it means to be a hero, but, I know why I wanna be a hero, and well, that's the root of what it means to be one. It's almost like... a responsibility, I suppose. When you can do the things we can, and you don't... well...  when the bad things happen... then they happened because of you. I guess when it comes down to it, what being hero is to me is a responsibility to use my power to help others,"

"Hello, everyone. My name is Lesnar Claypool... or at least in America it is. I guess here it'd be... Claypool Lesnar? Anyway, to be a hero...  being a hero, at least to me, is about the initiative. A hero stands out for their initiative to act for selfless reasons. In other words, they never hesitate to go out of their way to protect those who need it, regardless of who they are or who they're helping. It's a pleasure to meet you all."

"Pleased to meet all of you. I'm Himura Hibiki! To me, being a hero is like, doing whatever you can to make the world a better place. Stopping bad guys, helping good guys that need it, and giving to your community and stuff. I've looked up to heroes ever since I met one as a little girl, so I always thought they're supposed to be these amazing people you'd want to look up to. Even if it's just by doing something small, being a hero means you should strive to make the world more peaceful. That's what I think anyway."

"You might know by now but I'm Valerie Clark! A hero does everything they can to protect those who can't protect themselves. They fight past their own limits, work harder than anyone else, and never surrender in the face of evil. Being a hero isn't a choice or a goal. It's just what you are. Being a hero means putting the protection of innocents and the defeat of those who'd harm them before anything else. Being a hero means dedicating yourself to never letting evil win! And I'm going to be the best hero there ever was!"

"Yo. My name's Yoshino Misu. Call me whatever you'd like. But don't go makin' any dumb ideas. What being a hero means to me, huh? Being a hero, to me, means being someone that someone else looks up to...Quirk or Quirkless. I mean...you can't disappoint the people who put so much faith in you, right? Anyone who tells you differently ain't got enough guts. And if there's one thing heroes are about, it's guts."

The various answers from Yuuka, Herc, Lesnar, Hibiki, and Valerie were definitely good, well to Yuudai anyway. For some this was a responsibility, a duty. For others it was a way to give back to the community. He could understand their reasons to a strong degree. But he had his own answer...one he really knew was what being a hero meant to him. And oddly enough...the bancho Misu, had a similar thought process about it. Once Valerie took a seat, Yuudai stood up and made his stride towards the front of the class.

Alright...just give your answer, Shiba... he took a deep breath, exhaling slightly as he turned on his heel and faced the class.

"Good morning. I'm Shiba Yuudai." Yuudai began, before taking another breath. "What it means to be a hero, to me...honestly that's one question I didn't have to think too hard on. To me, being a hero means to be someone's inspiration. It may sound weird, but think about it this way, the heroes you saw on TV when you were younger..." he paused, his mind went back to seeing that interview special on TV as a child of that speedy hero. "...you were aspiring to be just as cool...if not cooler than they were. The heroes spark a bit of a fire in everyone who sees them. That spark of inspiration slowly grows and sooner or later it'll erupt into an individual's life...and heck, it might just bring them to where we are now."

Yuudai rubbed the back of his neck slightly, chuckling. "Honestly, the type of hero that can just inspire others to follow in their footsteps...that's something that I honestly think defines a hero to me." He gave a small nod and smile, before returning to his seat, satisfied with giving his answer.

“I am truly blessed to have you in my class as well Tenkara-san!” he said with a smile before turning back to Diana, “This is Tenkara Taro. I would not have passed the practical exam if it were not for his help.”

"Nice to meet you," Diana nodded as the boy spoke, smiling softly, still blushing a bit. She still couldn't believe she started so embarrassingly... But it wouldn't last long. 

Ms. Hitotsume came in soon after, asking for their homework and saying they were all out of uniform. With a confused look, Diana gave herself a once-over, unsure of what she was doing wrong. It looked right, and she had made sure to dress like schoolgirls did in Japan with the uniform... Maybe she was just missing something? However, the thoughts were soon pushed aside by the homework, and Diana eagerly listened to the responses of her fellow hero hopefuls.

Instinct and judgment. Responsibility. Selfless initiative. Bettering the world. Protecting the innocent and vanquishing evil. Guts. Being an inspiration... As her time came, she knew exactly what she was going to say. Standing up as Yuudai sat back down, Diana proudly walked to the front, giving a big grin, a V with her left hand, right hand on her hip.

"<I'm Diana Seigi!> Half-Japanese, half-American! For my fellow foreigners, just say your names normally, okay? Anyways, I believe that a hero is all of the things said so far. I agree with some more than others, but if I had to be more specific... A hero is someone who stands for justice. Defending those who can't defend themselves. Protecting the world from danger..." Diana lowered her arms and squeezed her fists tight, shaking softly as she continued, "Finding and acting on the truth, above all, no matter if someone is blessed with a quirk or born powerless. That is what being a hero is. <That's true justice!">

Katsurou could not hold back a smile as Taro made his way over from his makeshift stage in front of the class.

“Yeah, great to be here as well, but I mean, it wouldn’t be possible without your help either, thanks to Goop guy’s services. My shoulder is slightly numb, but hopefully, it goes away soon.”

“Think nothing of it! If anything, it was just practice on how to save real people instead of just mannequins! Of course that’s not to speak of your generous donation of a badge!”

"Let's do our best to not let the Goop men ruin our time here. I hate to see myself knocked out again in the same year."

“Of course! We can watch each other’s backs!”

While Katsurou was hoping to meet the rest of his classmates, the appearance of Ms. Hitotsume made it so that he would need to do so later. Giving a short wave and a smile to Taro and Diana, he returned to his seat at the front of the class.

At first, Ms. Hitotsume’s saccharin sweet voice reminded Katsurou of some of the kindly youth leaders back home, but that impression was suddenly shattered when her disposition turned dark when addressing the huge beetle man in a gaudy bee costume. Katsurou shifted uncomfortably in his seat, almost physically recoiling from the source of the shouting.

Once his fellow students started coming up to present their answer to the Sharp Shogun’s philosophical question, Katsurou listened with rapt attention, eager to see what his classmates would be like.

The studious looking silver-haired girl was Itou Yuuka, and her reasoning was just as well-read and succinct as her appearance suggested.

“Yes, a hero is indeed someone who can see and understand evil, as well as the bravery to stop it. She appears to be quite wise!”

Next was the towering beetle-man Coleo Herc, who had just disposed of his bee costume. While his Japanese was not the clearest, his answer was something that echoed what Katsurou had for his own answer.

“Responsibility...Yes, we should do our best to help others in need. Such is the Lord’s way.”

The following student, Claypool Lesnar, was clearly struggling to even stand in front of the class, let alone give his answer. His struggle reminded Katsurou of his own struggle when he first entered school for the first time after leaving Hokkaido, before he found his inner strength.

“Initiative to help others without hesitation…Perhaps it is something he wished someone had helped him?”

Next was Himura Hibiki, who sported a pair of sunglasses, along with what appeared to be, at first glance, a bat costume with wings and ears. However, as he listened to her answer, he slowly began to realize that her costume was actually her quirk as her ears twitched at every slight sound in the classroom. While he could not relate to her nostalgia, her answer was genuine and refreshingly simple.

“It’s certainly nice that people with Quirks are appreciated, and even celebrated, here.”

Clark Valerie, the one who loudly declared herself so at the practical exam, was as bold and determined as she let on. Her answer emphasized duty, something that he also thought was important.

“Yes, those with ability ought to use it for those without.”

Yuudai Shiba, who appeared two steps away from bursting out of his uniform, echoed Hibiki’s sentiments, saying that heroes should also inspire more heroism.

“It appears that I may have missed out on quite a bit…”

The girl Katsurou had given his handkerchief to was Seigi Diana, and she was indeed partly a foreigner. Her answer was delivered with an infectious energy that he could feel from his seat.

“Yes, what could a hero be without a strong sense of justice!”

Katsurou decided that it would be best to give his answer as the rate of students going up started to slow. Getting out of his seat, he clutched his notebook as he walked to the front of the classroom, wrinkling the pages as his grip tightened from his nerves. As he reached the front, he took a look at his fellow classmates before taking a deep breath to calm his nerves.

“A blessed morning to you all. I am Yamauchi Katsurou, and I am honored to be in this class with you all.” he said cheerfully, “You may be able to tell that I am not the boldest person, so at first I did not know what it meant to be a hero. So, I had to think deeply about this question, where I found the answer in my faith. I found two passages that showed me what it means for me to be a hero.”

Katsurou then looked to his notes and recited the passages and notes he had written down.

‘God has given a gift each one of us. So, if you are given the gift of prophecy, prophesize. If you are given the gift of serving others, serve pleasantly. If you are given the gift of teaching others, teach well. If you given the gift of preaching, preach to help others. If you are given wealth, give it freely.’

This passage says that if we are given a gift, we ought to use it. As such, since we were given the gift of heroes, should one not go out and be the greatest heroes our abilities can provide? However, I did not think that being a hero is just about fighting, because with these powers, we could hurt many people, or even use it for selfish reasons. So I looked more, until I found this:

‘No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.’

I hope to walk the path of my Lord in selfless service by being a hero. To me, to be a hero is to use our gifts to serve those we protect, and to love those we protect wholeheartedly. Thank you for listening.”

Kess didn't flinch at the approach of Valerie, barely blinking in response to the wave of heat that washed over her as the girl approached. Even Misu joining as well didn't seem to rattle her. She sat insolently in her chair, arms crossed, looking up at the two girls with a lazy defiance. She sneered slightly as Valerie spoke to her, as Misu piled on.

Not in a competition... Even they don't think that, she thought to herself, watching the two as they stood over her. She scoffed, turning her head away from the two, reaching into her mind for a sharp, biting retort. Or just some obscenities. Those would work just fine as well. 

Before she could get any out, though, the teacher arrived. Kess was at once thrown off by this woman. She seemed... Like she didn't want to be here. At all.

She found herself grinding her teeth. Had they seriously saddled them with a reject teacher? Class 1-A got the Samurai and this was what they got? "What the hell..." she grumbled under her breath. 

"And make sure it's a good one!"

She couldn't take this woman seriously. The threat of expulsion if she answered poorly, the one that had hovered over her head since the exam, felt like a plastic knife now rather than the guillotine blade it had been minutes before. This woman had no teeth. 

Neither did a lot of the others, she thought with irritation. Some of them didn't make an impression on her. Yuuka, Lesnar, the prick she had thrown the rock at. Some of them were obvious, like Hibiki and Diana. The easy answers. Katsurou was so out of left field that she tilted her head partway through his speech, mouth slightly open in confusion. What the hell was he talking about? She wasn't sure if she disagreed or agreed with him, she was having trouble figuring out where the hell he was going in the first place.

But two really got under her skin. 

Valerie's pissed her off so much. Partially because she said a lot of things that Kess kind of found herself agreeing with. She couldn't believe she could agree on any metric with what that girl said. With her stupid grin, her nosiness, her irritating confidence she wore brazenly. But the biggest thing was the end. 

"And I'm going to be the best hero there ever was!"

Kess's teeth grinding was audible. Herc and Yuuka could probably hear it from their seats next to her. She wrapped her fingers around the edge of the desk, the wood straining as she pushed down on it in her aggravation. She had to fuck it up at the last second, huh? she thought, very similar words echoing through her head, but deeper. The voice male. With that same, shit-eating grin.

She stood finally, as Katsurou sat, stalking towards the front of the room. She didn't even look at Valerie as she moved through her heat cloud. Her eyes were fixed on the back of Misu's head as she moved between her and Hibiki's desks. And as she passed by, she spared the girl one look. One swift glance filled with pure, intense hatred, Misu's own words from the exam echoing through her head.

"I don't wanna be a hero, I don't care who becomes a hero."

I remember that, she thought fervently in that split second of eye contact. I remember that, and I won't forget it; You don't BELONG here. The words felt almost shouted in her head, a vein briefly pulsing in her temple as she approached the front, breaking her gaze with Misu to fixate it on the teacher.

Unlike the others, she didn't face the class. She leaned forward, hands on the teacher's desk, staring directly into her eyes as the class was presented with her back. Nonetheless, her words were spoken loudly enough for them all to hear.

"I'm Kess." It was short, quick. The feeling, the memory Valerie had stirred up in her made the idea of speaking her last name sickening to her in that moment. The idea that maybe anyone could tie her to that. "I've got a different idea of what bein' a hero's about." She looked directly into Ms. Hitotsume's eyes, fire burning within them. You're what I'm stuck with, she thought intensely, and goddamn it, you're gonna HEAR me.

"Y'all are talking abut heroes being something to inspire... inspire what?" She raised her voice. She wanted t make sure everyone heard her clearly. "To be like them? Why the hell would I want to be like any of the other heroes... We're here to surpass them, RIGHT?" She rounded on the class now, one hand raised in a clenched fist as she swept her gaze out over all of them. "If I inspire anything, it's gonna be fear. Fear in any villain who thinks he's going to get in my way. Who thinks he can get up to any shit while I'm around. Fear in any hero that isn't up to snuff!" She was shuddering now, but it didn't matter. "We're the first in a new wave of heroes. I'm not gonna waste my time admiring any of the old ones. Or any of you. I don't care if any of you hate me, or are scared of me, or think what I'm willing to do to be a hero it wrong. I don't care if the people I SAVE are afraid of me, I'll break every bone in my damn body to fight for them just the same! I'm sick and TIRED of tryin' to follow in any FOOTSTEPS." This last bit came with a stinging glare at Yuudai as she echoed his words. 

"I'll make my own damn footsteps. Right before I use those feet to kick in the head of anyone who thinks they'll stop me." Her gaze turned over to Valerie, thunderous disdain in her voice as she spat: "Screw being the best hero there ever WAS... I'm here to be the best hero NOW. Those heroes before us don't matter anymore. What matters is what I'm willing to do. And I'll do goddamn anything." She tilted her head to the side lazily, scowling as she started her way back to her seat. "SOMEBODY has to, don't they?" 

As she turned to slide back into her seat, she spared a glance towards Herc, leaning back against the wall in her chair. "Goddamn responsibility, isn't it?" she muttered. Not loudly this time. Just a silent agreement. With the guy who came in the goddamn bee costume, for fuck's sake, she thought idly. 

Itsuki Watanabe

As expected, considering the colourful characters in the classroom and the manners they display during the exam and even after, much of the classroom's interactions devolved into chaos. Though, it wouldn't be fair to not recognize that much of this was due to a certain few members of their classroom who were... very obviously known for their aggressive behavior. Itsuki sighed as he somehow managed to slouch even further into his seat, closing his eyes for a quick pre-class nap.

"Oh dear, oh dear~!"  A voice could be heard ringing from the doorway.  Itsuki groaned as he let his feet slide from the top of his desk. So much for that plan.  "Let's settle down now everyone~!  Let's all get in our seats~."  The teacher introduced herself as Ms. Hitostume, who looked as nervous and inexperienced as she was tall and muscled. Had this been a normal middle school classroom, Itsuki would take this opportunity to mess with the teacher. But this wasn't normal middle-school, and he imagined that the he would get more than just a slap on the wrist. "Ah yes~!  Your homework assignment from Sharp Shogun~!!  Please come up in any order, and give me your answer~!!"  She clapped her hands again, her eyes growing stern once more.  "And make sure it's a good one~~!"

"Shit," Itsuki muttered. Hopefully the benefit of being at the back of the classroom would kick in and he could get away with being one of the last to present, giving him enough time to come up with a bullshit answer.

Of course, Yuuka was first to step up. Itsuki snorted something about being a "keener" under his breath. "I believe that being a hero is about not only being able to know what the right thing to do is, but acting on it the moment you realize what that is. At least, that's the base requirement of being a hero."

That's it?! Itsuki thought. But that was just a job description! I could've said that! Dammit, I could've gone first! Of course, now he couldn't use that, knowing how obvious it would be that he just copied Yuuka.

The giant beetle man was next, who turned out to be another gaijin in the class. He was loud and obstructive, as many people in the classroom seemed to be. "I guess when it comes down to it, what being hero is to me is a responsibility to use my power to help others."

Itsuki felt his jaw dropped. He just did it too! Dammit! I'm losing all my opportunities! I gotta think of something!

"Hello, everyone. My name is Lesnar Claypool... or at least in America it is. I guess here it'd be... Claypool Lesnar?" Next up, sure enough, was another gaijin. At this point the "A" in "U.A." might as well stand for "America". "...being a hero, at least to me, is about the initiative. A hero stands out for their initiative to act for selfless reasons. In other words, they never hesitate to go out of their way to protect those who need it, regardless of who they are or who they're helping."

This is the sort of answer Itsuki expected to come from Yuuka, and it even sounded like it came straight from a textbook. Itsuki was beginning to wonder if he had the wrong impression of Yuuka all along.

The next girl gave the sort of response Itsuki would expect to hear from a kindergartner explaining what it was that they wanted to grow up to be. Maybe Itsuki was fretting over the assignment too much? Maybe it was just that simple?

Next up was the hot gaijin. "A hero does everything they can to protect those who can't protect themselves." She declared. "They fight past their own limits, work harder than anyone else, and never surrender in the face of evil. Being a hero isn't a choice or a goal. It's just what you are. Being a hero means putting the protection of innocents and the defeat of those who'd harm them before anything else. Being a hero means dedicating yourself to never letting evil win!" She took a deep breath. "And I'm going to be the best hero there ever was!"

That one seemed pretty on-point for the kind of thing that girl would say. No surprises.

Thankfully the big scary girl decided to go next. "Yo.  My name's Yoshino Misu.  Call me whatever you'd like.  But don't go makin' any dumb ideas." Ideas like what, though?! Itsuki found himself more worried at the prospect of what would qualify as a "dumb idea" than how much the statement made sense. Being a hero, to me, means being someone that someone else looks up to... Quirk or Quirkless. I mean... you can't disappoint the people who put so much faith in you, right?  Anyone who tells you differently ain't got enough guts.  And if there's one thing heroes are about, it's guts." 

Simple. Again, what Itsuki would expect from someone like that. Though, she said it as if she was held at gunpoint the whole time.

"Good morning. I'm Shiba Yuudai." Yuudai said. Who? "What it means to be a hero, to me...honestly that's one question I didn't have to think too hard on. To me, being a hero means to be someone's inspiration. It may sound weird, but think about it this way, the heroes you saw on TV when you were younger... you were aspiring to be just as cool... if not cooler than they were. The heroes spark a bit of a fire in everyone who sees them. That spark of inspiration slowly grows and sooner or later it'll erupt into an individual's life... and heck, it might just bring them to where we are now." Whoever this guy was, now he was just rambling. Get on with it, already! Honestly, the type of hero that can just inspire others to follow in their footsteps...that's something that I honestly think defines a hero to me." He gave a small nod and smile, before returning to his seat.

"<I'm Diana Seigi!> Half-Japanese, half-American!" Oh, it was the girl that punched Itsuki in the exam. A hero is someone who stands for justice. Defending those who can't defend themselves. Protecting the world from danger... Finding and acting on the truth, above all, no matter if someone is blessed with a quirk or born powerless. That is what being a hero is. <That's true justice!">

"<Justice...>" Itsuki said quietly to himself with a short raise of his hand, chuckling to himself at the reference.

Next, the boring-looking guy got up to the front of the classroom, stiff as a board and introduced himself. "So, I had to think deeply about this question, where I found the answer in my faith. I found two passages that showed me what it means for me to be a hero...” Itsuki groaned and let his head sink into his arms, refusing to listen beyond that.

Lastly was Kess, who stood up in front of the class and gave a very long-winded and angry speech about inspiring fear into the hearts of her enemies. Itsuki raised his head from his arms just enough to mimic the yapping-mouth gesture he made with his hand. Finally, when she finished the room fell quiet, as he was one of the last, if not the last student to go up. "Shit!" Itsuki swore as he pushed himself to his feet and strode to the front of the class. He didn't have anything, he spent more time making fun of the other students to himself with his shitty commentary than thinking of an answer!

"Yo, I'm Watanabe Itsuki, Yoroshi-kuuuu~~" Itsuki gave a half-hearted gesture with the barest attempt at his introduction. Small drops of cold-sweat ran down his face. What did that Yuuka girl say? Be honest? What the hell did it mean to be a hero anyways? Wasn't that the reason they were there, to learn that? Itsuki cursed to himself. "What does it mean to be a hero?" Itsuki laughed to himself nervously. To hell with it, he'll just have to say the first thing that comes to mind, but right now he felt like nothing more than a ritual "Sacrifice," Itsuki blurted out, and stood there frozen in place for a moment. No, no this was good, he could roll with this. "Like... okay so, whenever like, a fight broke out at the arcade or whatever. Sometimes out in the streets. There's always like, this one dude that just gotta step in and try and break it up. It almost never works, but if a guy was gettin' picked on then they usually get a chance to run away. Anyways, they'd often get the shit beat outta them." Itsuki laughed nervously again. There wasn't anything funny about that, though! "In the end, though, someone gets beat up anyways so I always figured 'shit, they didn't do anything'. But... maybe they did? Maybe for those dudes that ran away they're just glad to get away, and made that dude who got the shit beat outta him was willing to do it so the other guy could get away. Anyways, those guys always end up gettin' called heroes around my parts, so I figured that's what it meant. Sacrifice for others? I dunno." Itsuki stood up there for a few silent, awkward seconds. "Anyways that's all I got. See ya!" Itsuki marched back to his seat and sunk deep into it, thankful he was at the back of the class. No way he wasn't gettin' expelled for that half-assed attempt.

PysLiPD.png?1

Eventually, the teacher came into the room. At first, Ms. Hitotsume seemed to be a lovely women, humming gently as she took a look at her class. However, as she scanned the room, she seemed to be more and more irritated, until she got to Herc. Suda nearly jumped as the teacher yelled at his insectoid friend for the bee costume. With the whole costume debacle done with, she moved onto the homework assignment. One by one, his fellow classmates got up in front of the class and reintroduced themselves to everyone, sharing why they wanted to become heroes. Suda allowed most of them to go forward, thinking about how he wanted to word what he wanted to say and not wanting to make everyone else look bad. After all, his act would be a tough one to follow.

However, he got restless. He needed to share his story now! As soon as Itsuki finished his presentation, Suda stood up and made his way towards the front. "The name is Suda Hiroharu, but I'm sure you already knew that." He said, smirking as he pointed his thumb towards himself. "As for the homework, well it's quite simple. A hero is a symbol of hope and inspiration!" He said, outstretching his hands. "I know when I was younger heroes, both cartoon and real, inspired me to pick myself up when I was down. They're the reason why I'm even here." Suda crossed his arm, smiling at the crowd. "One day I want to become a beacon of hope for this city - no, the world - and inspire everyone to be the best version of themselves!"

“Of course! We can watch each other’s backs!”

Before Taro could respond, their teacher, Ms. Hitotsume, came into the class and began with everyone, one by one, going to the front to answer the question from a few days ago, starting with Yuuka and ending with Suna. . . Leaving Taro the last one. Though during everyone’s turns, it felt that everyone’s mixed opinions on what a hero is have seemed to clash with the other opinions given, which was expected from such a broad question with multiple answers. No one is right or wrong, but yet the teachers want the right answer that doesn’t seem to exist in the context of the question. Everyone might have answered correctly according to them, but they all may be wrong according to Ms. Hitotsume.

Well, let’s bring it together then. As Suda got back to his desk, Taro got to the front and faced the class.

“Hi, I’m Tenkara Taro and to start off, I personally and honestly don’t have the true wanting of being a hero before the exams. I mainly came here to get better handling on my quirk so that I could use it in my desired career as a magician. Everything that has been said here, according to me, is more about ‘fighting the good fight’ and protecting others as a hero, which isn’t to say they are bad qualities to have, they just somehow don’t come upon me as desires for me. Nevertheless, it seems that this question of ours is so broad that it makes all other opinions of ‘what a hero is’ appear wrong and invalid in our eyes, including to the teacher rating our responses.” Looking back at Ms. Hitotsume, Taro just shrugs at her then turned back around to the class. “For the past couple of days as I was thinking about the question, I had some weird inspiration from someone I know who said something on the lines of: ‘Everyone is a hero at heart. However, it is those who teach us how to use our powers properly are the true heroes.’ And that really stuck with me for the last few days and as I listened to everyone’s responses, the question means nothing to us unless we become examples to others around us. However, how we set an example as heroes is met with great responsibility. He paused for a brief second to gain composure before continuing with his long sermon for a short answer.

“I look up to a lot of magicians for inspiration for my passion as they are the best teachers I could look up to, however, I really can’t say that about heroes. Nevertheless, I feel that being a modest example of what a hero truly is a far more important thing to strive for as I will be looked upon by those younger than I. We shouldn't show others our bad habits as they will take in those too and might lead to dire consequences. So, to answer the question: I feel that a hero is one that others can look up to the best examples for inspiration and encouragement in times of disappointment, and I will do my best to give guidance and be an example to those to come after my time here! I even hope that Ms. Hitotsume will do the same for us as she teaches to help us answer the question more effectively. Even though I might not strive to be the number 1 hero in the future, someone will look up to me as one. As it was once said, “be an example of the believers”. And with that, Taro bowed, returned back to his desk and gave an exasperated sigh hoping that he “answered correctly”, though Ms. Hitotsume’ face can say otherwise.

Edited by scooterulez

whIkgqw.png

Misu had barely payed anyone's little speech attention, only hearing the snippets of their name.  How could she?  The fact that all of these kids actually aspired to be the next generation of heroes was so cliche.  However, that all changed when Kess made her intentions, and thoughts, known.  Misu didn't want to show any interest, but her jaw nearly dropped at what the girl had said.  She definitely wasn't all there, even she could see that.  Misu didn't know what it took to be a true hero of society, but what that girl had said wasn't it.  A couple more came up to speak their minds, but Misu could only think about what Kess had said.  When they all had finished, a faint snickering could be heard from the back of the class.  Misu looked over her shoulder, and raised an eyebrow, as she watched Ms. Hitotsume covering her mouth with her hand.  She couldn't contain her snorting, as the burst into full on laughs.  

"You're all so lame!"  She said, wiping a tear from her eye.  "Although, I was pretty lame when I first started the business."  She started walking up to the front desk, before stopping at Kess'.  Her eyes narrowed as looked at the girl.  "You.  You fail.  You lack common respect, and you clearly have a rage in you that I couldn't control.  A shame really.  You can stay for the rest of the day, but I don't want to see you back here tomorrow.  You wouldn't know what a Hero was if they came up and smacked you upside the head.  Change your attitude, and try again next year."  She kept her eyes on Kess for what seemed to be an eternity, only to continue walking to the front desk.  Misu couldn't help but crack a smile.  Of course that answer wouldn't have passed.  It was a response from a straight up psychopath.  

"Better luck next year, pipsqueak."  Misu thought to herself.  

"Now then class~,"  Ms. Hitotsume sprang back to her cheery self, "Open your math books to page 1~!  Time for some Algebra~!"  Misu groaned as she reached for her backpack and opened the pages.  

HQiOaTA.png?1

After many hours of hard learning, Misu slumped back in her chair.  Steam was coming from the top of her head, as her brain felt completely fried.  The day's lessons were finally over.  School really was for chumps with nothing to do.  But she'd have to pull through, for her family.  

"Oh class~!  Before I forget~!"  Ms. Hitotsume passed out a paper sheet for each student, except Kess.  "Next week we'll be starting your in-field training~!  We're short on licensed heroes these days~!  Crimes are picking up!  So the government is giving us special permission to let you use your powers under adult hero supervision~!  We just need a signature from your parents or guardian to let you do so~!"  She winked at the kids, before starting to head out the door.  "In-field training starts next week~!  It was nice to meet you Class 1-B~!  Have a good day~!"  As soon as she passed the thresh hold, she could be heard mumbling about a need for some alcohol.  Misu stared at the paper, nervously.  She'd get to be out in the field doing what heroes do on a regular basis...beat up some bad guys?  She held up the paper in front of her face.  

"Sounds fun."  She said coldly.  She turned to Hibiki and smacked her paper.  "Sure you can handle it, Hibiki?"  

As more of the students came up and gave their answers, Lesnar couldn't help but find his own rather cliche and underwhelming. Either way, paying attention was proving to be difficult, as the day had already begun to feel like a drag. School was about as foreign to him as he was to the other students, which he also acknowledged as a few of them mentioned how to properly say his name. He felt like such a fool, though it wasn't the end of the world... at least not yet. It wasn't until the last student sat back down and the teacher began to speak again when his attention was peaked again.

"You're all so lame!" this hit pretty hard, though she wasn't wrong. "Although, I was pretty lame when I first started the business." Lesnar lightly exhaled as the initial sting from the earlier comment softened. Being lame was fine. Nobody knew who he was and he didn't really care.

"You. You fail." With another peak of interest, Lesnar was only listening to her speak with wandering eyes until those words came out, prompting him to turn his head to see that she was speaking to Kess. "You lack common respect, and you clearly have a rage in you that I couldn't control. A shame really. You can stay for the rest of the day, but I don't want to see you back here tomorrow. You wouldn't know what a Hero was if they came up and smacked you upside the head.  Change your attitude, and try again next year."

So they weren't lying, Lesnar thought. For a moment he figured that there was really no wrong answer and that the question was just a test to see who would show up and participate. However, it turns out there was indeed a reason for it. Lesnar didn't remember much of Kess' speech right away, but now that it was brought up, there was quite a bit of selfishness and anger in her voice. If Lesnar would assume as much, she definitely sounded like a potential villain that he would have to face in the future, though he wasn't gonna bet money on it.

"Now then class~, open your math books to page 1~!  Time for some Algebra~!" The gears suddenly shifted as Lesnar instinctively perked up. School was actually starting now, and he could use a nice and refreshing math lesson.

As slow as time felt during the lesson, Lesnar realized that class was almost over. He watched the clock as the seconds ticked by, counting down to when the bell would ring. At last the moment came, but expectedly the teacher had one last thing to say as she passed out papers to the class. Homework on day one? Sounds great. Lesnar needed something to do at home.

"Next week we'll be starting your in-field training~!  We're short on licensed heroes these days~!  Crimes are picking up!  So the government is giving us special permission to let you use your powers under adult hero supervision~!  We just need a signature from your parents or guardian to let you do so~!" In-field training? Hero licenses? Lesnar perked up at the idea. Even though it felt too soon to start doing actual hero work, he couldn't help but be both excited and nervous. However, he then realized something...

...he needed a signature. From a parent or guardian.

His heart sank for multiple reasons. He didn't think he had to associate with his life back in New York again, let alone with that cold-hearted aunt of his. She was the only person he could think of that he could realistically send the form to. She was rich. She had email. The real issue that Lesnar dreaded was whether or not she would sign it. It was less a matter of that she didn't want to but rather that she didn't care enough to even see the email knowing that it was from Lesnar. There was a mutual indifference there, but one thing was for sure: he had no other options. He would just have to send it and follow up if needed. How she would act in this circumstance would be something he'd have to deal with later.

"In-field training starts next week~!  It was nice to meet you Class 1-B~!  Have a good day~!" Now that class was over, he was conflicted. Should he feel relieved knowing that class was over, or frustrated because he had to deal with his aunt? He'd have to find that out.

Edited by Thar