Nyx

Bad games with good music/Good games with bad music

So yeah. Just name a game (or more if you'd like) that you've played. Games you've played that were good, but had poor soundtracks. OR games whose gameplay you didn't like, but can't deny it had a good soundtrack. Either way works.

gerudo valley | Tumblr | Zelda funny, Legend of zelda memes, Legend of zelda

In terms of games I didn't like with music I love, two franchises come to mind:

• Sonic the Hedgehog - I've always hated the gameplay for this series, even the classics. But man, do they have some bops. The classics had some of the best original scores I've ever heard, and even the games with featured tracks fit so well with the game as well as the characters, and on their own were catchy and fun.
  • Final Fantasy - Unlike Sonic, I wouldn't say I HATE the gameplay, but I've definitely never cared for the random, grindy encounter system it had as well as for other games, but this series in particular is what drove me away from it to begin with, so it's significant enough to mention while also pointing at any others in its general direction. That being said, while it's not my style of game to play, I always find myself coming back to the soundtrack. In fact, my favorite track of all time from video games comes from Final Fantasy VI: Dancing Mad. That and a handful of others holds a firm place in my heart and listening to them almost makes me wanna play them, but alas, even if it comes to that, I realize it's just the music, not the game.

On the other hand, we have a subject that's actually pretty tricky for me, considering what I came to realize about games in general: The better the soundtrack, the more memorable a game is to me. So chances are if I enjoyed a game whose soundtrack wasn't good, I might not have even remembered enjoying it unless it was brought up somehow. So if something happens to come up that fits here, I'll edit the post to include it below.

As for good games with bad soundtracks. Yoshi's Crafted World comes to mind. Like... I guess good might be pushing it, it definitely is NOT a game for everyone, babby games and all that, but I think it's a respectable Yoshi game...

Aside from the soundtrack. Like holy fuck it's SO bad. It has a few good songs, yeah, but like... They took motif way too far and almost every song is exactly the same, there's a few standout songs, but very few and it gets so annoying the longer you play.

Like, here's two examples in relatively short timespan of two of the worst songs in the game. literal penis music to my ears.

This would probably be a controversial take, but, Skyrim. I just think the music in it is really uninteresting. It's so easy for me to forget that I am even listening to soundtrack as I explore. For such a large game, I really think it should've had more than five regular combat themes (if my brief stint of research serves me correctly. I actually had to look this up because I thought there were even less), and it doesn't help that they sound kinda similar to one another. The big epic theme against dragons is nice, but again, large game, needs more tracks.

In the Dragonborn DLC, they do remixes of music from Morrowind, which I haven't played, but I like these themes much more than the ones from the mainland of Skyrim. And it's probably unfair of me to say this just of Skyrim, since it is a trend in video games where music becomes more quieter and passive to make way for voices and ambient noise. Just not a fan.

Shadow the Hedgehog I guess would be the bad game. I mean, I had fun with it. But it gets lots of flack. But hey, it has great jams.

Yugioh Legacy of the Duelist was fun, but the tracks were lacking. Nothing impressed me.

The Yoshi's Island games have some of my favorite music in video games. Dark Souls II had great music too! Though, I would argue, Dark Souls is comparatively worse.