The Necrodancer

Halloween Masquerade 2020

Ladies. Gentlemen. Mortals. Welcome to the Halloween Masquerade of 2020! I will be your host, and you may simply call me The Necrodancer. And providing this year's entertainment will be... you! You're all invited to visit my crypt for the event of the year, and you don't have the option to refuse! Might as well make yourselves useful and help me conjure up some entertainment while you're down here. But what IS this event, you may wonder? I'll keep the explanation brief.

The Halloween Masquerade is an annual event where members are given special permission to create an alternative "monster" account in addition to their main account. From there, these monsters are encouraged to stir up some shenanigans, get people talking, perhaps make a forum game with some point prizes, and create a fun atmosphere. We only get the one major event per year on this forum, so make use of it!

But I'm in charge now, and it's high time we did some refurbishing! This year's event comes with two major changes from the usual song and dance. Firstly, the Monster Hunt is being done away with on an official level. Monsters still won't be allowed to blab on about their true identities, of course. If you find yourself wanting to guess at who each monster is played by just for fun, be my guest, but you won't get any prizes for it this year. Second, and more importantly, you're in MY turf now! In this crypt, everything moves to the beat of MY music. That means we won't have every monster running amok at once like you're used to. Instead, every day, only a couple of monsters will be in the spotlight for that day. I'll talk more about that later.

Before I get back to the schedule, let's lay down some rules. It would be such a shame if I had to snatch away someone's heart for stepping out of line, after all.

1: At the start of the Masquerade, monsters will be given a sum of points to dole out as they please, though you'll probably be expected to give them out as prizes for a forum game. You are to play fair with these points; no immediately handing them all off to your main account, or using your knowledge of your monster's game to cheat. Have some sportsmanship!
2: Speaking of sportsmanship, don't forget that you are forbidden from abusing your monster account. Giving yourself disproportionate amounts of likes, abusing your monster's wallet like we just discussed, and other such activities will result in getting kicked out of this Masquerade and blacklisted from future ones.
3: Don't tell non-monsters who your monster account is! In the past, we frowned upon telling even other monsters who you are, but in this year's case, with the Monster Hunt shutting down, I encourage it! Everybody loves a good duet, so don't be afraid to get chummy with your fellow monsters and come up with some collaborative efforts.
4: Keeping in line with the above, don't talk about your monster ideas in this thread! If you're interested in signing up, send a PM directly to me instead. There is also a Discord server available for this year's monsters to better network and collaborate. When you submit your request to sign up, speak up on if you want to join that server or not.
5: This year, we're taking in anywhere between 10 and 20 monsters. Ideally, at least 14 of you will step up to the plate.

Now, let's reprise that whole "everything moves to my beat" bit. It's very important. On opening night, all monsters will be permitted to do their activities as normal. After that, however, we'll be operating on a new system. Every day, I'll announce a new set of monsters that will take center stage. This will be an opportunity for those monsters to demonstrate just what they can do with a bit of planning and a predetermined timeframe. However, other monsters will be allowed to continue posting in any AMAs or games they've created, and may also operate outside of their scheduled day if it's part of a team project with an active monster.

This will all build up into the crescendo that is Halloween itself! On the final day of the event, every monster will be let loose for their final encore, and then it's time to wrap things up. Since I'm a bard and not a time traveler, I can't say what the schedule looks like just yet, but what I can tell you is when the event starts and ends. This thread was put up a couple of weeks early to bring it to everyone's attention, but the event will be starting on October 18th, at 5:00AM GMT. Wrap-up will start on November 1st at 5:00AM GMT, and doors will be forced shut 24 hours later if need be.

If you've any questions, post them here so they can be answered!

This event is starting to look dead on arrival. Let's REANIMATE it! To encourage your participation, members who take up the role of a monster this year will receive compensation in the form of points. The exact amount is still a work in progress.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Blake
      Yes, dearies, it's that time of year again! No, not the one where you channel a monster, the one where you figure out the exacts for the process of bringing these monsters to our fair forum.
      So, I feel like we need a bit of a shake-up. No, not in the form of a theme or anything, but the event hasn't been performing as well in the past few years. I would posit this is due to it being static, instead of adopting to its community.
      As such, I have an idea that I would like to hear some thoughts on: Monster Showcase.
      Instead of having the monsters be active 24/7 for the duration of the event, it would instead look like this:
      Opening Day: Every monster is able to introduce themselves, interact, and make a general first impression.
      Day 2 through October 30th: Either 1 or 2 monsters for that day, intended to make a stronger showing on their own, without overstaying their welcome for the entire event.
      October 31st-November 1st: All monsters are able to post, like opening day, with them maintaining their role on the 31st and saying goodbyes on the 1st.
      AMA/Game/Intro threads: Monsters will be allowed to use their own threads of these types regardless of the day, so to keep some sort of presence up, should they so choose. It just means people have to go look at the monsters they're interested in, instead of the monsters taking that day's limelight.
      This way, it keeps both the players and the community observing them from growing bored of it as quickly. However, this is only an idea on paper, not set in stone, and I really want to hear feedback on it.
      I understand that this would require working around people's schedules, and I would work hard to make sure it works for everyone.
      Additionally, I will probably make a Discord Server for this year's Event, most likely in late September. I would consider asking people to make burner monster accounts on discord... but that seems too much like a hassle.
      Instead, I would instead say that we do away with the actual Monster Hunting facet. It is largely ignored, instead just letting the monsters run around and act, so the players could join a server where everyone knows their identity. Treat it more like one grand stage play.
      However, even if this happens, monster identities would still be private until the deadline for signing up. The anonymity of the monsters is still a major factor in the event's fun, even if there's no real hunting going on.
      So, yeah, please let me know! I don't want to charge forward and act on something the community wouldn't enjoy, after all.
    • By Mettaton NEO
      And that concludes our program for this year! It wasn't as bombastic as some previous years, but we certainly improved over last year's flop. Friendships were made, quests were embarked upon, and multiple lives were nearly lost! Now that's what I call: Drama! Romance! Bloodshed! Now then, with this year's festivities concluded, it's time to move on to the final stages of this year's Halloween Masquerade. Monster Hunt prizes, the Monster of the Year poll, and the annual unmasking. This year's prizes were relatively small, but even smaller was the amount of players who participated. Only two players submitted monster guesses at all, but both of them managed to pinpoint every monster's identities within the first few days of the event! And so, @REP and @LordCowCow shall each be awarded the grand prize of 1,500 points!
      Moving on down the agenda is the Monster of the Year poll. I would like to encourage anyone who plans to vote in this poll to vote before reading the true identities of the monsters that will inevitably be listed below, to avoid potential bias in favor of or against certain players. Additionally, monster players are forbidden from voting for their own monster! There isn't any prize for winning this poll, but somebody always makes a poll like this after the Masquerade ends, so I figured I'll just do it myself and save everyone else the effort! What a wonderful host I am!
      Last and not least is the unmasking! This is the part of the program where the players who participated in this fine event will come in and reveal who they played as this year. Of course I won't do that myself! Where's the fun in that? And so, let's give a round of applause once again to our player cast! Will the below members please reveal their monster identities now?
      @Blake @British Soul @Forgotten Home @MetalSonic @Mr Spaz @Mr. Hyde @Nyx @radio414 @REP @Thar @Yui
      Last and not least is a more personal confession. Remember at the start of the event when I said "I look most forward to working with all of you one last time?" Well darlings, I don't know if you know this, but this form - as well as the EX form I used last year - can be quite tolling on my battery. Sadly, I will not be able to participate in future events. This is my final adieu, good people of the Neo Card Maker forums!
      Hopefully you all enjoyed the event! Please do look forward to next year's Halloween Masquerade as well, even if it won't have a host as drop-dead gorgeous as I am! Merry Christmas, everybody~!
    • By Mettaton NEO
      Hello, new and old viewers alike! Did you miss me? Theoretical question, of course you did!
      After last year's show was met with some... "mixed" reviews, I spent an entire year at the glorious MTT-Brand Superstar Camp, and have come out completely the same! You can't fix perfection, darlings. BUT! I did learn a thing or two while I was there, handing out harsh lessons to aspiring stars between all my other obligations. You know what's hot on the surface world these days? Remakes! Take something old, and do it again with some new life and techniques breathed into it. And if those directors in Hollywood can do it, so can I!
      Welcome, beauties and gentlebeauties, to the Year of Revival's Halloween Masquerade!
      Now, I see a handful of new adoring fans have tuned into our show this time around. I suppose that's what happens when you switch to a new channel. So for those of you not quite sure what's happening right now, fear not, for I'll explain everything! But in the interest of saving time, I'll be doing this rather quickly, so try to keep up. Ahem.
      TheHalloweenMasqueradeisanannualeventinwhichplayerstakeupmonsterdisguisesfor... sorry, what's that? I'm going too fast? Very well! I will explain at a normal speed!
      The Halloween Masquerade is an annual event with two core components. The first is the Masquerade itself, in which a handful of players are permitted to run a second "monster" account in addition to their main account Consider it the same as wearing a Halloween costume, but you're pretending to be that person. The second part is the monster hunt, in which participants look at the monster roster, and try to guess which members are playing which monsters. However, I must urge new monsters to not pick something purely because it's hard to guess! This attempt at playing an obscure role has caused many a monster to simply drop out of the masquerade because they simply weren't enjoying it. Any further questions about the event can be directed to myself or my almost-as-lovely co-host, Hades. With the event explained, let's talk about the rules.
      1: This year, we're only accepting 10-15 monsters. This is generally a show with 20 participants, but the directors insisted we lower the cast size to account for a smaller and newer stage. This will also make the monster hunt more friendly to new players, so rejoice!
      2: While past masquerades have had some high requirements to join, that won't be the case this time around. You need only be reasonably active on the website recently to apply. This is to encourage new members of the community to join in, so let's see what those rising stars are made of!
      3: Be a good sport! You're given a second account, but are expected not to abuse the fact. Don't send yourself lots of points from your monster, don't like all your posts as your monster, etc. Violators of this rule will be removed from the event, and potentially barred from joining future masquerades as a monster.
      4: Do not tell others your monster identity! Do not tell your friends or family who you are in this masquerade, as it's meant to be a secret for the other site members to figure out themselves! Likewise, don't make posts that out the true identities of other monsters. People caught in the act will be removed from the event and prevented from being a monster in the future.
      5: Similarly to last year's event, this Halloween Masquerade is themed, BUT! The theme will not be strictly enforced this year. Instead, you'll simply be encouraged - not forced - to adhere to the theme for the Year of Rebirth. The theme for this year's monsters is undeath! Vampires, zombies, and incredibly handsome ghosts living inside machines, et cetera, are all on the table.
      6: A quick note. Boss monsters, such as yours truly, are not formally part of the monster hunt this year, for reasons I'm going to delve into, but you can still put out guesses to their identities if you so desire.
      7: Do not submit your monster ideas in this thread!! Please, PM them to the event's coordinators: @Blake Eagle @Nathanael D. Striker and @Yui
      Now, the sharp-eyed Halloween Masquerade fans among you may recognize the name Hades that I mentioned earlier. Indeed, he was a participant in a past Masquerade, and has opted to join me for this year's event, fitting in 2019's theme of "Year of Revival". And he's not alone, either! Indeed, Hades is willing to use his command over the afterlife to bring back five monsters from past Masquerades! Players interested in having a rerun of an old monster should apply in the same fashion as anyone else; by sending a PM to the event's coordinators. Because we'll only be accepting five of these, we'll only be picking the best of the best if we get more entries than we can handle.
      Finally, our schedule! It wouldn't be much of a show if it only ran for a single day, but in the interest of avoiding too much filler on our season two pilot, we'll keep this a bit brief. The event proper will begin on October 22nd, 2019 at 12:00AM Eastern Standard Time. The event will then continue on until November 1st, 2019, 12:00AM EST. If you wish to participate, please remember to submit your monster via PM to the above users before the event starts.
      Now then, once more, with spirit! Lights! Camera! ACTION! I look most forward to working with all of you one last time!
    • By Blake
      That's right, we're approaching time for Neo Card Maker's first Halloween Masquerade! It is currently in the planning stages, but throwing your hat into the ring in regards to interest in the event is important!
      For those unfamiliar, this is a site-wide event inherited from YCM, where members are given temporary alternate accounts to act as "Monsters" for that time! Now, these monsters could be literal monsters like Medusa... or they could simply be costumes, like Yugi Muto! The event tends to last about 10-14 days, and there's usually a mystery element to the identity of the monsters.
      Also, Boss Monsters shall make their return! These are kinda like event staff monsters, who don't necessarily have a hidden identity, but still participate in the masquerade.
      In fact... The predominant worker on this project thinks there may be a certain member we invite to be a Boss Monster this year! But it's all up to you guys to express interest! 
    • By Blake
      Not an actual Halloween thread (yet), but I was curious to see who everyone thought was the best monster. No poll, if they were good they should spring to mind!