Nico

Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club

When your school is so huge it's difficult to find even someone that knows about the club you want to join. This one is the more common story of needing to prevent the club you love from getting abolished, instead of the whole school being in peril.

Despite all that, I find the game story quite well thought out. This is probably adapting the main story without including the school idol festival. Because let's face it, they're not showing μ's or Aquors more than a small bit and even then, it wasn't any school idol group that inspired Yu in this... it was Setsuna, and the more I think about that... the cooler I feel that choice to be. If I'm gonna be honest, CHASE! has definitely eclipsed the other Nijjigaku songs I've heard by now, even before I heard it in the anime. The one Kasumi shot was super cool too, though they didn't quite show

Spoiler

that she has been guarding the club room the whole time,

you could see how pissed she was to see the club name removed from the door.

d8AwpJ5.jpg?1

It's only been the first episode and hair down Yu is already a contender for best Nijigasaki girl.

I've been an advocate for hair up Yu for months, but both Yus are def in my top 5. 

I always wait for a show to finish before watching cause I don't like watching one a week. This one I'm really excited for. The other two aren't my absolute favorites but I enjoyed them both a lot so I have high hopes.

Am I crazy or does the art seem a bit different? Not in a bad way.

4 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

I always wait for a show to finish before watching cause I don't like watching one a week. This one I'm really excited for. The other two aren't my absolute favorites but I enjoyed them both a lot so I have high hopes.

Am I crazy or does the art seem a bit different? Not in a bad way.

The thing I thought when I first saw the visual was that it looked more like common club anime art but idk, I don't dislike that either.

Episode 2

Prez is sure harsher in this, letting another club use the clubroom so damn, Kasumin couldn't really safeguard it. This definitely makes more sense, haha. Sure got busted though,

Spoiler

S E T S U N A - K A I C H O U ~

Cutest♡GirlCutest♡GirlCutest♡GirlCutest♡GirlCutest♡GirlCutest♡GirlCutest♡GirlCutest♡Girl what an apt title for the episode, yesh.

They would so be missing out if they don't include Haruka, Kanata's imouto, in at least a single shot type scene ala Demon Lord, Retry! (said scene was Tahara's imouto as well, for crying out loud!). They made her design years ago, and I was starting to feel cheated out of imouto powah until I realized she did appear in the ALL STARS app. I just like the character interactions in that way more than the previous game, so I hope that with the additional idols being developed, she would be a fairly high priority thought for that.

I mean Episode 3

Oh, right, the Love Live. Of course the anime would include that, so that's they're way of not including the previous groups. Trading out the more celebratory School Idol Festival for a competition that (game spoilers)

Spoiler

they don't need to put together themselves.

Episode 4

Spoiler

Was kinda scared Ai would be the one to bring up doing solo idol things... and it seems like she largely gave who she was with at the time the idea, but Setsuna did to Kasumi elsewhere. I like some of these differences to the game a lot, I definitely don't mind most of them even, but this... I mean, they should all end up giving her the idea, but it should be Yu that says it first. Otherwise is there really a reason for the moeshit self insert that I love?

Episode 5

Spoiler

With how much Yu is simping on Kasumin, she really is my moeshit self insert~ It's so weird to see Setsuna rejoin so early, leaving Karin for last. Karin being last does make more sense though (welcome aboard!), I don't see why a 9th member had to join for the student council president to give a damn when they only actually needed 5.

Episode 6

Aaand boom. Character focuses have honestly been so much stronger than they've ever been in this series. 

Spoiler

Just as I thought they must have done away with the sketchbook she used it. I mean she had it since the start of ALL STARS main story, and they ended up showing the tablet Rina-chan board first. Imouto confirmed for next episode, though!

Episode 7

Spoiler

Does this mean what I think it means? Imouto already a school idol too? Put it in the game! I swear the one shot had other girls from OG SIF in there, too. I think the most shocking thing all season has to be Ai actually calling Kasumi Kasumin. Definitely gave the "I'm quitting" a run for its money.

Episode 8

Spoiler

YO BET! The Nijigasaki girls have damn near never been grouped by year before, the first years forcing Shizuko on a day out was amazing. Kasumi loves Shizuko ftw.

Episode 9

Spoiler

I must say, it is really swell of them to include school idols from the OG School Idol Festival that were not winners of the Perfect Dream Project... or Kanata-chan's imouto. Karin getting lost makes too much sense.

Episode 10

I should have immediately realized the Setsuna sucks at cooking gag was happening the second I saw the pizza, and it was purple soup, like it needs to be. More first year hangouts, yes please!

Spoiler

They tried to scare, but the ones that scared them were Kanata, Karin & Emma, all third years.

WOW that's big. (game spoilers)

Spoiler

Did Yu just come up with the idea of the School Idol Festival? This is an anime not named after it, so I thought they were doing away with it. What does this mean for the future? Will there be able to be a second season with Shioko!? She'll need a fair bit of reworking if her sister isn't involved in the creation of the SIF.

Episode 11

Spoiler

I would think that because this is going to be the first School Idol Festival, they wouldn't think they need as large a venue as the game, but you never know. They are still including more popular school idols. Concerts at different venues they want well snap, that definitely solves that in a way that is once again quite different from the game (but I don't think it's enough to split spoiler markings this time). Jealousy, confessions! Really, Ayumu's situation is a bit different since she chose to be a school idol herself and a latecomer's place is being filled by other characters. She almost feels like Adachi, but we all know Adachi is gay for Shimamura, so it honestly feels gayer than the game, Which I am mostly fine with, but Yu is the one they all want. ? 

Episode 12

Spoiler

Considering Ayu-pyon's yandere lines, I didn't particularly expect that to get resolved relatively... easily. Now, I wouldn't say that it's because this isn't a romantic relationship, but if it wasn't *wink wink*, that might explain things. 

Poor Kasumin had to cry before she got her turn.

So finally started watching this, two episodes in. The animation is so fun and everyone is adorable

I didnt expect Yuu to have so much, well, character given iirc she's the player character in the game?

@LordCowCow It is weird. To be real, she acts in the exact same way that you are presented as in game, but you're just never shown. So player isn't actually devoid of all personality to self-insert, which is nice. I was never bored of reading their lines compared to some things. 

Episode 13

Spoiler

Ai see Ai dares to pun during a performance. ? Kanata had nap time ready with her fans. The school idol hero show was a welcome surprise. More Kasumi X Shizuku is like my favorite thing now, sho sweet~

So upon finishing it I have to say...It's really good.

I think overall I like Sunshine more still just because this season was all about introducing and establishing them all. I feel if there's another season that explores them more and doesn't need to check the boxes this first season did it'll be really good. The animation of course is wonderful and I like how expressive the characters are.

And now an entirely unprompted personal ranking of the characters.

Spoiler

Rina
Ai
Kanata
Yuu
Emma
Karin
Kasumi
Shizuku
Ayumu
Setsuna

Though I don't dislike any of them tbh, all are at least good

Oh also Kasumi X Shizuku surprisingly became my favorite pair. That scene was so cute at the end it killed me.

Has my ranking changed since this? 

Spoiler

Kashumi (this was a typo but I noticed it before post and decided to roll with it)

Rinari

Shizuko

Yoshikage Kiwa

Kanata

Yu

AI

Emma

Ayumu

Karin

Yeah, for sure. Setsuna's Otaku habits and absolute passion sure did bump her up like I thought she would. Shizuku may seem like one of the most plain girls out there, but her reasoning for not originally having much of a personality herself was super endearing. Emma was always so great and even though she's lower now, I've seen more of her family and what got her into school idols from back in Switzerland from other material and I still like her more and more as well! 

Was a good series, was let down a bit due to the introductory nature in the beginning. Started strong then kinda dropped off a bit around Ai's episode, but easily made up for it with Rina's which is probably one of my favourite Love Live episodes. The latter episodes were also nice for showing the N-girls from SIF. Wouldn't place the first series above Sunshine, due to the nature the show had to take with the first 9 episodes being mainly focused on an individual member.

Now for an updated character ranking.

Spoiler
  1. Kanata
  2. Ai
  3. Shizuku
  4. Rina
  5. Setsuna
  6. Emma
  7. Kasumi
  8. Ayumu
  9. Karin

Kanata and Ai stay in the same place, Emma drops 3 places, Shizuku goes up 1, Setsuna drops 1, Ayumu and Kasumi swap places, and Rina jumps from 9th to 4th. Karin unfortunately gets relegated to 9th by default. Yuu would slot inbetween Rina and Setsuna.

For anime solo rankings 

1. Butterfly
  2. Solitude Rain
  3. Vivid World
  4. Tsunagaru Connect
  5. La Bella Patria
  6. DIVE
  7. Poppin' Up
  8. Saikou Heart
  9. Dream with You

Now to wait see if there is going to be another season so potential new best girl will get in.

Spoiler

ZY2RMw.gif

Give me the Disney Channel singer and I'll be happy.

This feels like one of the weirdest things I can say right now but I'll say it anyway. The introductory aspect didn't bother me one bit, and I've been introduced to these characters multiple times already. I just really vibed with this so hard. Would like to think on whether I preferred this or Sunshine, but I know I've never had as much fun with the OG series. Must confound you but it is I, Nico-nico-nii.