Nico

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai

I just finished the rest of the old series just after this first episode aired, though I was coincidentally watching it mostly on the day it'll be airing now. This is (probably dumbly) my first experience with Dragon Quest, but though by the books, it is shounen at its damn finest, just about (can't wait for Popp). Though it is mostly the same content as the older pilot, it did feel like there was some faster pacing, with the additional flashbacks the watchers of the older series can appreciate, since it directly deals with the last arc that was adapted, so there's certainly a lot to look forward to. 

Being officially translated and released in Latin America back then, it obviously wasn't as popular in NA and other places, so here's hoping the wider release of new Dai is a good. I keep hoping at least something less mainstream that I post gets some good discussion, and it never does, so I'll sprinkle in the rare anime I'll be watching that has a chance of being a bit more mainstream too.

Another thing of note, the first episode sure did cut out that foot fetish scene.

Episode 2
Killing Machine looking a bit more modern, nice. Definitely quicker pacing now like I thought, they don't want to be spending the same amount of time to get to where the old anime left off and then not be able to get further again. Ah Popp! The best part of this series, coming to Dai.

Oh yeah, also, it's quite funny to me that Avan's hair is the way it is now, when it did look more fitting of a hero back then (either that, or the "flashback" was more of an "artists rendition"). He looks like a damn judge.

Episode 3

lol this time the gargoyles are literally A & B instead of differently coloured clothes. Oh Popp, you'll get there. Though you really should take the special hard course...

Spoiler

J9QgawS.png

Episode 4

A dragon with such small glasses... always a treat to see those kinds of things. ?

CG was a smidge awkward earlier, but those flames solidified how good it is in this. Toei really knows their stuff for it, Precure's dance EDs are always fantastic.

Episode 5

Spoiler

What?! "We" never heard the term "Dragon Knight" this early in the original anime! I mean, "we" still have no clue what it means so soon, but wow. Respects to Avan.

Ahoh, Hadler got some Wolverine action baby.

Episode 6

lol Why's he being all tsundere about that? The character development it so real, though.

They really didn't directly show the boob touch, what little fan service there is is being drastically toned down. Makes me wonder how they can show the perverted old guy type and not have it feel incredibly jarring. Not that it wasn't already.

Episode 7

Maam seeing her magic bullet gun for the first time, still an amazing scene. How properly scared she gets despite wanting to protect her village. 

Episode 8

There's C, holding Hadler's towel while he takes a purple bath. 

Spoiler

And so, Crocodine threw away his pride. I still can't get over Brass not being orange. If he changed color because the dark power took over him outside the island, some sense that would make. I guess this is how he was in the manga, but why did the previous anime make such a drastic change for such an important character? Apparently it's closer to how a Lump Shaman actually looks, and I still say he was better for it.

Episode 9

Spoiler

This is why Popp is my favorite character... not only is this now his real development, but he actually made Crocodine's extreme development occur. 

Episode 10

There's C again. Don't get to see if the other guy is goon A, B or possible D, though! Heat and Explosion type spells... why is there a difference, though? 

Spoiler

Probably felt very unique at the time to find out a human was the commander of the undead legion. Hyunckel is cool, but his full armor is quite dorky.

Episode 11

Spoiler

And there's the good reason for a human leading undead. Even with the faster pacing, I think I find this to have just as much impact. R.I.P. Baltos-otosan. R.I.P.Again Crocodine.

Episode 12

Spoiler

This time it's Popp with the motivation to fight first. Doesn't happen very often, but it's there. It put a smile on my face. Vearn with the facts, giving logical reasons to put a human in charge of the undead, that's not something I remember quite as much from the older anime, if it happened.