I said you didn’t have to!” And, after a pause, “Okay,” Melissa said. “I won’t. Let’s just go downstairs, then.

Devin kinda crumpled up a bit... quite literally, finding their body compressing like a spring as she said that, involuntarily. They had gone and done it again, saying the wrong thing. I mean, yeah, they were awful, but... They could have used more tact. Stupid, stupid Devin. They followed after Melissa as she headed down, their body clearly drooping in some spots, eyes cast down to the ground. They had only just managed to begin patching things, and here they were. Why couldn't they just have pretended to like those awful fishsicles? What would it have hurt? A few stomachs?"

As they reached the bottom, Melissa headed off to the kitchen, and Devin did exactly as she had said. Slink off and hide in a corner. They couldn't fully remove their mass, but they could try to blend in. Squish into a corner. With a bit of adjusting, they found themselves smooshed in tightly, form matching the color of the wall. Sure, someone might wonder what that blob in the corner was, but most people tended to be rather change blind. Maybe they would join in, if they could calm their heart enough...

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

"It  went  well  enough. So,  what  were  you  looking  for  in  the  library?  Books  about  magic?  You  make  it  sound  like  a  pretty  big  place!"

"Not just books about magic, but quite a few other genres...includi-..." Trevor was about to continue, but Melissa caught him with her own question.

How was Mauvache, though? Did you have to make an appointment to see her or did you just walk in? I need to talk to her too, I think… at some point, at least.

"Hold that thought." he said, looking to Morgan before addressing Melissa. "Well, I was able to just waltz in, however I believe that it would be courteous to actually set an appointment up for our meetings. Barring that, the meeting went well, she was quite able to answer the questions I originally had, but seems like my worries were for naught. Nevertheless, it was quite the exhilarating conversation with our esteemed hostess."

Trevor then looked back towards Morgan, smiling. "Now, the library...various genres from, quite frankly, VARIOUS authors and possibly different universes and multiverses, in what I could assume. I simply went there to learn more about Rama-Indri and Prana...but alas, it simply gives out the bare bones creation myths about this world...quite a lot of talk about this...Great Dragon...unknown currently what this dragon did before in the times of war on this world nor what the dragon did to end the warring. Alas, some mysteries are left in shadows, it would seem."

While Fen began taking in the wonders of technology beyond her scope of reality, Aduain's brain was finally processing the horse race he was witnessing with her. Not that he understood it but he knew enough to root for a racer here, boo for another there. The crowd's cheers helped. They really helped as the sound began growing out of control. As he began covering the holes in his head that one could call ears if one wanted the boy noticed Fen had begun fidgeting with the remote and was about as clueless as she appeared. The channels changed before the tv ultimately turned off. It was not all too dissimilar from the fish's first time with a tv after he'd gotten his freedom. But that had still been long enough ago that he'd forgotten people could be like this around the devices. Eventually she managed to get it back on and lower the volume to a reasonable level at which point the hunter was able to relax in his seat again with a chuckle.

"Wow, they really don't have TV in your world huh?" He asked in pure honest curiosity rather than any sort of condescension. "It must be really different there. What kind of things do you for fun?" came the start of the boy's inquiries with an excited smile on his face. He would try to restrain himself for a bit but if Fen took too long to think of an answer he had about eighty other questions he could ask in quick succession.

Eventually, as these allied strangers interacted, or in some cases avoided interacting, the fae finished their jobs and left. Each fairy, as they saw any of them on the way out, gave their thanks for the work and headed out as soon as they had finished their incredibly detailed cleaning job.

The day passed further into night. A meal was shared, or eaten separately, in the process and eventually it came time for each of them to go to sleep. What they did in that time was their own but regardless of what they did daytime, as always, came.

And not long after, a scant few hours after many of them woke, they got an urgent message.

Guardians. The time has come again for you to fulfill the job you were brought here for. There are two threats to this city that have come up that you are the nearest to and most capable to deal with.

After this there were details about both of these events. Though details is somewhat generous in this case.

One of them was occurring at an office building. A large, thirty floor, building which had become invaded by a frightful creature. It was described as a large gorilla, towering at twenty feet tall, and evidentially it had taken up residence on the roof of the building and was throwing debris down at the people below.

The other had even less specifics to it. They knew it was in the middle of a busy street, which had since been blocked off by the police, and all that was said was that "stones were raining down from the sky and wrecked a multitude of vehicles". Some say they got a glimpse of a person amidst this though none got enough a look to see more than that.

As Fen continued to fiddle around with the remote, the girl looked back to Aduain as he asked his question. "No, I've never seen anything like this before...at least from my own world. We have magic that allows you to project images or sounds or both at once, but never this complex or intricate or varied. I'm more surprised things like this exist in many worlds...and aren't magic either." The girl changed the channel again, marveling again at the screen she was looking at. "But well, for fun, personally I like to read and garden. I guess also hunt, but that usually comes with quests the guilds get...and there are a lot of quests that come in that take up my free time." Sighing the girl added, "other people also like to spar...a lot. They can get carried away sometimes too but..." The girl thought about it for a moment, adding, "I hope they're still doing alright." With that, the girl continued to get acclimated to the new world around them, trying to steer clear of any mischief Aduain might've been up to, or dissuade him from doing it to begin with. 

With the new day upon them, Fen looked to her messages to see that there was another issue that needed taking care of. With being "briefed" on their two quest targets, Fen thought about it for a moment. First there had been sharks in the road, and now giant monkeys. The animals weren't exactly unique, visually, but Fen could hardly say she wasn't interested in these familiar yet distinctly exotic beasts. Add to that, the other one sounded more human - which was not her personal preference to fight - and had seemed to be in a shower of stones. Fen shuddered at the thought of having to use her ice weaponry against something like, and so opted not to. Looking to everyone else, the girl said, "well, uh, I'll go to the office building. If anyone else wanted to come along." After waiting a bit, the girl would then leave to the mission site. 

When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
-Proverbs 3:24 (NIV)

Trevor’s response was all Melissa needed to hear, and, with a nod, she turned away from Trevor and Morgan’s conversation to start playing around with her watch, trying to find a way to schedule her appointment. Unlike the rest of the wristwatch, the interface for the scheduling app was a little unintuitive (it wasn’t like she was used to anything like it back home -- Connor was supposed the one doing all of that for the club, or Jennifer when he invariably forgot), but she still eventually managed to figure it out. Was tomorrow afternoon okay? Melissa hoped so. It wasn’t quite as soon as possible, but it was long enough to let her collect her thoughts and make sure she came in ready to say everything she needed to. It was a little daunting, after all, facing someone with the power to dramatically affect her fate, especially since Melissa’s slight from a few days ago now still hung over her.

In any case, with that done, Melissa returned to join the conversation with Trevor and Morgan, though now that their conversation had progressed in her absence, she still felt removed, and she wished instead she could go somewhere and sink into a corner out of sight until dinnertime and maybe after that too. By the time she got upstairs and into bed, she welcomed sleep with open arms.

Her dream was the same as the night before, with her sitting down under the trees in her Blue Yonder campus spot, though this time, the angels showed up of their own accord, and took much less time to descend from the sky -- even if their method was exactly the same, they still sped through it until there they were in front of her, one right next to the other.

If you focus your thoughts before sleep we can assist with a variety of dreams, the angels (maybe just Zadkiel?) said. It does not have to be only this one where we hold these conversations.

No, this is fine,” Melissa said. “I know you both said that you don’t -- that you couldn’t miss home, but I still do, and it’s nice to remember what it was like. I don’t know when I’ll see it again, and this helps it not fade away, right?

Perhaps you would prefer a more populated environment? We can pull more from your memories, would seeing people also be nostalgic for you?

Melissa smiled. “Ah, well, maybe we don’t know each other that well yet. I don’t, uh -

There is one particular girl who seems to stand out in your memories, absent from many of your anxieties. Even-

No!” Melissa shot straight up, even to the point of finding herself standing even if she would never be able to explain how. And as soon as she realized her reaction, she blushed and immediately started trying to justify herself. “No, um, that would be a bit ghoulish, I think,” she said. “I don’t want to obsess over memories of someone instead of the actual person.

As you wish, the angels said.

I’ll see her again soon, though, right?

The lull in conversation that followed was actually welcome in Melissa’s eyes, despite the question lingering over everything as she slinked back down to a sitting position. She didn’t actually want the answer, a “yes” would probably have felt like an empty reassurance, and a “no,” obviously, was unthinkable. She wondered if her angels knew this as well, which was why they permitted the silence.

One thing Melissa noticed just then was the movement of the angels. Sandalphon, the one comprised of an interlocking set of rings within rings, obviously had those rings constantly rotating around each other, but besides that, the ophan simply floated just above the ground. Zadkiel the cherub, meanwhile, didn’t even need to do that, not even breathing as it stood there, wings outstretched, waiting for Melissa to speak again.

It’s weird,” Melissa said. finally. “Normally, I think about all these things before going to sleep instead of during it, like, it’ll keep me awake at night until I think about it enough. Especially with all that happened today; I’m still not sure what to make of some of that. I still worry about that photoshoot. I’m still worried about those fishsicles. Those women, too.

We can talk about these things now if you like.

Sure,” Melissa said. And they did, continuing on into the night until the dream faded away into blissful blackness.

Still, it felt like the morning came too soon. Some of that was Melissa’s early wake-up time, both from her normal habits and from her still getting used to Prana time. It did allow her some time alone -- time that even sleeping had not provided, maybe that was something to think about for the future, Melissa thought? -- though it was not long before others started to trickle in, and soon after that, the actual start of the day as a message came through on their watches notifying them of the threats against Prana’s safety.

“The time has come again for you to fulfill the job you were brought here for,” was certainly an intimidating phrase, though Melissa took comfort in the fact that other people were unsure as well. Fen chose the office building location, and so Melissa mustered up the courage to make a decision as well. “I suppose I’ll go to that street area,” she said. “We should probably go pretty soon, it sounds like whatever’s going on there has been going on for too long already.

morgan.png

Well, yesterday had been a nice day. Plenty of new faces, some shopping, the fairies, and eventually a nice meal and some sleep. But that day was over, and it was time for the next one.

Guardians. The time has come again for you to fulfill the job you were brought here for. There are two threats to this city that have come up that you are the nearest to and most capable to deal with.

Actual guardian work. The thing Morgan had been brought to this world for in the first place. As per the message, there were two options laid out before Morgan: One involved a oversized monkey terrorizing an office building. Not really her area of expertise, that. She had fought some large creatures before, but something of that scale was simply beyond her outside of very specific circumstances. The other one had less details, but based on the ones she was given, it sounded much more up her alley! Some guy, and a rain of stones. That kind of hazardous environment where you could get hurt just by being there... was perfect for her! Morgan was a sturdy sort to be certain, and the more she got hurt, the stronger she became.

"Well, uh, I'll go to the office building. If anyone else wanted to come along."

I suppose I’ll go to that street area. We should probably go pretty soon, it sounds like whatever’s going on there has been going on for too long already.

"I'll  go  to  the  street  too," Morgan offered. "Environments  like  that  are  where  I'm  strongest." With a puff of her non-beating chest, Morgan smugly added "We  have  other  Hunters  here,  after  all;  I  need  to  show  off  my  strong  points."

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

This was the message that Trevor and his fellow guardians woke to...and between the two jobs listed, there wasn't very many details provided. One would think that a boss like theirs would possibly give more details than just that...but alas, nothing more than what they were given: an office building with a frightful creature or a busy street with stones raining down...strange happenings all around. Same time...of all the things...a gorilla...

The group got together to discuss their plans and from what Trevor could gather, it was two to one on the ratios of who was going where. Fen, the Ice Mage, was choosing the office while the Melissa, the Child of God and Morgan, the Zombie were choosing the street area. With that in mind, Trevor nodded slowly, before finally speaking up.

"In the case of the two, we have some serious monkey business going on, so in light of this..." Trevor said with a smile. "I'll be going with the office crew. Dealing with the primate there shouldn't be as difficult as it seems."

And yet, it does have a strong similarity to that book and movie you've watched back in our home world.

"In truth it does...but alas, hopefully this isn't a similar scenario." Trevor quipped back to his grimoire.

The way Fen talked about magic had captivated Aduain. He'd encountered the idea in fairy tales and the like and a lot of people's hatsus could easily be misunderstood for magic if one wasn't aware of nen and its capabilities. But for the fishy hunter this was all just part of the world. Magic sounded like even the users of it didn't understand the mechanisms behind it, quite like Fen's own inability to comprehend the television. It might have been one of the strangest things he'd ever thought about if he hadn't stepped into two different worlds in as many days. But whether the world operated by magic or nen it sounded like fun was still fun no matter where one came from. The reading and gardening was a bit tame for Aduain's tastes but this guild of hers sounded like a good time. Like if the hunter exams crowd just always hung out together. The moment of reflection on how her friends were fairing cast the fish's mind to home and a twinge of pain and sadness flashed across his face for it. But there wasn't any time for that.

"Well we'll definitely have to upgrade this place! There's a lot more cool stuff to show you from what the menu was showing. I'll have to see what kind of money we get working with after a little bit. Oh and after I figure out if I can buy a pool or something for my room. Flooding it sounds fun but then if you ever opened the door you'd have to start over. Which could be fun but a lotta work." The boy rambled at length for his plans with the place yet something about Fen's presence seemed to be enough to keep him from actually acting on any of the more destructive proposals. At least for tonight. Eventually the two parted and Aduain was feeling pretty good about things. That was of course until he woke up half way into the night.

He was thoroughly dried out. Forgetting to flood the shower room was one thing but at least not taking a shower was quite another. So while the world continued sleep the fish entered the showers and let the water run over him. The next thing he knew several more hours had passed and an alarm was blaring. The fact he'd slept here both nights just went to show he really needed that in room pool. Something to check out later.

Before long the boy was only slightly dripping wet as he gathered with the others. There were two threats that needed tackling. And while both sounded fun, the one with more details caught the fish's attention more readily. Of course this conflicted the boy as he wanted to see what the other hunter in the room was capable of, and Morgan seemed intent on showing him. But then a flash of brilliance.

"I wanna fight the big ape!" He declared excitedly throwing his lot in with Fen and Trevor. "I'll race ya Morgan!" Aduain declared, turning to face the zombie. "First one done wins!"

When everyone made up their minds about where they would be going the next step would be to leave the building. Waiting for them outside were two vehicles with a top hat symbol on the side. Both of them looked to be driven not by people but instead robots. They said nothing as people got in but as soon as all of them were inside, separated by group, they took off without having to ask where they were heading. They somehow seemed to know which group were going to which location.

Street Squad

As the trio approached the street they would notice that the farther along they went the less people they saw. It seemed that many people were keeping clear of even the blockade made by the police.

When they got up to said blockade, a line of police cars hovering above the street, they simply kept going. And the police, with only a glance at the vehicle they were in, didn't do anything to stop them.

Traveling along the street they eventually noticed large stones, roughly two feet in diameter, embedded in the street. And the occasional demolished car along with them. The longer they went the more frequent these sights were. And then the car stopped and the doors opened. Prompting them to leave and continue on foot.

In the distance they could see something huge. Which they soon could tell was a large pile of vehicles stacked on top of each other in a hill of crushed metal. On top of it sat a singular woman. Holding what seemed to be some sort of sword which was pierced through the roof one of the demolished cars.

They could tell from a distance that she could see them. Yet she didn't move from the spot and simply watched as they approached. Then, when they got close enough to see her face, and the fierce smile she wore, she slowly raised her hand. From above the group a rain of large stones came hurtling down. The opening move was made.

Spoiler

So if you want to prepare anything before or approach any different way you still can. But she will be sending the stone rain down whenever any of you are close enough.

Make sure to talk with me or your teammates if you want to figure out any plans.

Office Oarmy

Unlike the other group this team would notice, as they got close to the office building, that there was even more and more people. When the car stopped near one of the buildings and let them out they would have to go through a crowd of people to reach the police-line. The cops seemed relieved to see the trio arrive and let them through quickly before refocusing on keeping the crowd a safe distance from the building.

Said building was tall and they could see that every floor above the ground floor was damaged as though something smashed into the wall as it climbed up to the top. As they looked up towards the top they could tell something was moving. The first actual sight of the beast was its large hand gripping the edge of the roof. It tore a chunk off of the roof and leaned over and they could see more of the creature's ape-like form.

It was a massive creature and it clearly had no issue ripping pieces of the building off like it was paper. When it looked over at the crowd it sounded off with a deep roar that not only was easy to hear but to feel as well. Then the beast launched the chunk of roof down towards the crowd which caused them to scream and scatter to avoid the improvised projectile.

Spoiler

So leaving it a bit open because there's several ways to approach this. If you need more of a clear path of the various ways I can but either way I can give info depending how you want to move from here.
Also reminder the building is thirty floors tall and the, well, Slaking, is 20 feet.

Make sure to talk with me or your teammates if you want to figure out any plans.

The car ride over was, well, it was mostly quiet, which in general would have been good for Melissa except she and Devin shared an awkward sort of silence, with Melissa remembering the last time they’d been in battle together, and while, again, she was certainly willing to forgive the shifter (and had!), Melissa wasn’t sure if they’d forgiven themselves, and wasn’t sure what else she could say on that front. Who knew what was going on in their head anyway? With Morgan, too, like, they’d even spent the start of yesterday together and she’d still not learned much about the zombie hunter besides that she had agreeable taste in clothing.

Instead, then, Melissa turned her focus inwards, “What do you think?” she muttered to herself. “This was the right choice, right? I don’t know, I kind of just took whatever was open; I didn’t want everyone to pile on the same problem.

It is difficult to simulate, even for things such as us, was the response. Each person, save perhaps Fen, who had already made a decision, is an independent variable, and both scenarios presented were equally unknown. Changing your mind would not simply have created a four-two imbalance in the -

Okay, but what are you thinking now?” Melissa said, a little bit louder, though unintentionally so.

It took a while for the voices to respond, and even when they did, it was with a rather vague, We are willing to do whatever we can to keep you safe, which also sounded ominous if Melissa thought about it too much. Thankfully, by the time she could even realize such a thing -- before she could reflect on it any further -- they had arrived. 

Melissa had not been paying attention to the waning traffic outside, so the landscape, outside of what had been described to her in the briefing her watch had provided her, surprised her a little by its barren nature. It really only was them and the woman sitting on a massive pyramidal hunk of metal. Even the car they arrived in had left. Briefly, she wondered if all the carnage would be restored just like their encounter at the mall two days prior, though she also didn’t want to find out if they were wrong.

We probably have to do this as quickly as possible,” Melissa said to herself before remembering that now they were out of the car, she did have to work and coordinate. Worse still, she couldn’t just follow someone else’s lead. Now she said it, now she had to follow through, starting with making sure they had heard her. “We should, um, Morgan, can you fly? I know Devin can… I’m just thinking about how to get to that woman and how to do it fast.

“No,” Morgan said matter-of-factly. She reached behind and patted her distinctly wingless back. “I  could  maybe  make  myself  a  pair  of  wings,  but  not  on  such  short  notice.”

Okay,” Melissa said. It was a fair enough answer, and it wasn’t like a week ago that would have been the completely expected answer even she would have given. It just meant an adjustment to her on-the-fly plan. “Okay,” Melissa said again. “Well, we’ll just have to cover you, I guess.” She took a step forward, towards the metal pyramid, and saw that the rocks were starting to fall again. “Um, if you need to call out to us, its name is Zadkiel.

“As they fled before Israel on the road down from Beth Horon to Azekah, the Lord hurled large hailstones down on them, and more of them died from the hail than were killed by the swords of the Israelites.”
-Joshua 10:11 (NIV)

The cherub catches her before her body collapses to the ground, and embraces it with two of its four arms, holding onto her as tight as it can. In another appears its flaming sword, drawn and at the ready, and with a flap of its wings, the angel takes off, taking both her body and her perspective -- her ego -- with her.

As she had noticed before surrendering her consciousness to the angel, the rocks are already beginning to fall. In fact, some of them have already landed, crashing into the ground with a sound that comes across as a muted *thud* to her but must be cacophonous to her compatriots. But the woman on the pyramid’s aim is improving, or, at least, she is throwing enough boulders that aim doesn’t matter.

Zadkiel continues its ascent either way, undeterred. The next boulder that falls its way, the angel does not even try to avoid it, instead, it charges forwards and upwards and, at the last moment, swings its sword and cleaves the boulder in two.

Come, the angel says, there is much work to be done.

Silence. Utter silence. Somehow, Devin had ended up on the same team as Melissa again. While they didn't gulp externally as the car rolled on, they did fidget a bit. The fact that Morgan was the other with them didn't help, because they had positively no idea how to deal with her. They hadn't said so much as two words to the zombie, had they? Someone they had endangered and someone they didn't know. Lovely.

We probably have to do this as quickly as possible, We should, um, Morgan, can you fly? I know Devin can… I’m just thinking about how to get to that woman and how to do it fast.

“No,” Morgan said matter-of-factly. She reached behind and patted her distinctly wingless back. “I  could  maybe  make  myself  a  pair  of  wings,  but  not  on  such  short  notice.”

Okay, Um, if you need to call out to us, its name is Zadkiel.

"I..." Devin spoke up as Melissa prepared, "I... don't think I should fly. I'll play support, if you can take the front."

But as the angel took on the woman, Devin could only dodge the boulders as they fell, cursing themselves internally. If only they hadn't messed up so badly, they could fly and really help out. Instead, the most they could manage for now was... With a deep breath, their right arm shifted about, taking the form of a gauntlet, not much bigger than their own arm normally was. Flexing it about, the arm had a slot lift up slightly, causing a small barrel to protrude. Placing heir left hand on that arm, a small burst of energy shot from it, shattering a boulder that was headed directly for Zadkiel. They may not have too many shots before their form would protest, but they had to help at least this much...!

Getting to the scene of the crime, Fen was very easily able to see that the crime was still going on. Fen knew exactly what she was dealing with here, a large 20 foot gorilla to be precise, but seeing was always believing and simply having the briefing did not fully prepare her for what she was about to see. The girl looked up to see the beast atop the tower, in awe before nodding to herself. "That is a big building." She still hadn't got fully used to the scale of the buildings that were here yet, thinking that they were still quite a sight to behold. All the same, the decided to test something out. Conjuring a bow of ice, the girl drew an arrow back before launching it skyward, not quite getting to her mark before smashing against the wall of the building. Frowning, realizing how difficult it was to hit something from this angle at that height, the girl said, "that's a shame." 

Though she was unsure of how safe entering a building besieged by a giant beast was, it wasn't a particularly new feeling to her and it seemed to be the most direct path to actually get to a comfortable angle to attack the beast directly. So, turning to her two party members she said, "well, I uh, suppose we should go in." The girl then looked over to the police force to confirm to them that she was going in before walking into the building proper. 

Through the front entrance it had seemed that the entire building had been ransacked; tables and chairs flipped over with a large collection of miscellaneous objects, likely dropped by the office workers in their panic to leave, scattered across the floor. Walking forward, it had seemed that there was an elevator shaft as well, though the elevator itself had fallen and crashed to the ground. Thankfully, Fen could not be disappointed by this revelation as she had no idea what an elevator was to begin with. So, instead looking over to the, rather daunting, staircase she looked to the other two before saying, "I uh, guess this is our way up."

Walking up the staircase, it was apparent the building had received quite the beating. It only took a few floors of stair climbing before the group's path was blocked by a pile of rubble. Trying to find a way past the rubble, the girl's attention was then caught by a sudden noise from the room next to them. Curious, the girl stepped into the room, hearing the noise coming from the cubicles. Wondering if someone had been trapped here and was in need of help the girl called out, "hello? Is someone in there?" Her call was met with silence. Then, out from behind the cubicle six creatures, like some kind of bizarre sloth monsters, hopped out. "Ah!" Letting out a yelp of surprise as the beasts ran their way towards her, Fen acted fast creating two large pillars of ice in her before slamming them in front of her to create a wall. 

It had sounded like a few of them had stopped, crashing into the wall, though this didn't last very long as the beasts crushed through the ice with the sheer force of their claws. Trying to get out of this bad situation, as one of the creatures bounded towards her Fen swiftly rolled backward, conjuring an ice dagger and tossing it as she got back to her standing position. Though the knife sunk into the beast's arm, letting out a small cry of pain as it was, it still didn't seem all that slowed by the minimal damage attack. The three that had collided with the wall originally had also stood back up, ready to pounce on the group. "Alright, if you could - " the girl started to talk to her fellows in the oarmy while she was forming an ice bow in her hands, before remembering who she was with. Looking to Aduain and then to Trevor, the girl faced forward again, changing her bow into a sword and conjuring a shield on her other arm. "Never mind, I'll cover for you." 

Edited by Skaia

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

"...I can't believe it's almost like it..."

Honestly...we anticipated it...

Trevor and his grimoire just stared upward at this...giant ape-looking creature...who seemed, honestly for lack of a better word: lazy. Regardless, it was he, Aduian the fish, and the Ice Princess, Fen. A trio of them going into this office building to take care of this ape...an Office Ops. Had a ring to it, honestly. Nevertheless, Trevor followed Fen and Aduian upwards up the staircase. After all, why go through an elevator? That would honestly spoil the fun...and anyways, it was broken too.

Once they arrived at one floor of the building, Trevor started looking around the area, seeing Fen do the same. Though now things were getting interesting...as now a total of six sloth-like creatures began to prepare a vigorous assault on them.

"Alright, if you could-Never mind, I'll cover for you."

"Oh my dear, by all means, let's cover for you." Trevor said, already moving to the side of Fen and immediately having his rings glow brightly. "Thundaga!!" he shouted, watching a storm cloud appear over the heads of the creatures and proceeded to strike down lightning bolts around them and even on them. "I'll be keeping the lightning show up for display a while longer...so if someone..." he smirked, glancing at Aduian. "...would like to add some water to the mix against these creatures, it would probably lead to a shocking conclusion. Once that's done, my dear, you can take off the stragglers!"

morgan.png

The car ride to the scene was... honestly, quite uneventful. The most exciting part of it was imagining just what could cause such a state of affairs. A dragon of some kind? Morgan had never seen a dragon before. Honestly, she wasn't convinced they even existed in Lemuria at all. A dragon...

And so, when the car pulled up and the trio stepped out of it, Morgan was thoroughly disappointed. Before her was no dragon, but the figure of some tall lady standing atop a pile of scrap metal. Still cool, but not the dragon she'd hoped for. There was also the matter of the rocks. When Morgan had heard it was raining rocks, she had imagined hailstones, but bigger, and some shade of brown, gray, or even black. The rocks in question here were... quite a bit larger than hailstones. Nothing she couldn't handle of course, provided she'd already taken a bit of a beating.

The real question was how to deal with this lady.

We probably have to do this as quickly as possible, We should, um, Morgan, can you fly? I know Devin can… I’m just thinking about how to get to that woman and how to do it fast.

Now that was a good idea! But sadly, zombies were many things, and "bird" was not one of them. If she had some prep time before showing up maybe, but as it stood?

Okay. Okay. Well, we’ll just have to cover you, I guess. Um, if you need to call out to us, its name is Zadkiel.

More rocks incoming!

"I... don't think I should fly. I'll play support, if you can take the front."

As the other two evaded the rocks, Morgan opted to do the same. Albeit slower and more clumsily. Evasion wasn't really her style. With her skillset, "take the damage head-on then throw it back at the bad guy" was more her gimmick. But with an opening hit like that? Maybe not. She needed something to hit her. Something like...

"Devin!  Melissa!" Morgan called out. "Hit me!  As hard as you can!  Just  don't  pierce  through  my  head  or  chest!"

Aduain was more absorbed in the fact robots had driven the car conveying himself, Fen and Trevor to the assignment than most any other detail along the way. Even with the office building currently under siege in sight the hunter's mind was buzzing about what else robots in Prana could do. That was until the enormous monkey came into view and tore off a piece of the building. That thing had to be like ten of him. Maybe twenty of him. Of course from this far out the thing didn't even look like one of him but that was just how vision worked. At Fen's idea the trio soon found themselves climbing stairs. The fish found himself more bouncing up them as his fins made the occasional awkward fit for the steps going up. At least it wasn't an issue of stamina, he'd barely touched his nen. But that would likely need to change soon as the group found themselves blocked by rubble and moving into a side room some few floors up.

"Monkeys all over!" Aduain cheerfully exclaimed as he readied his trident. Fen led off with her ice hatsu. No wait it was magic, not hatsu or fen nen or whatever other silly string of word's had bounced through the boy's mind the day before. Either way, several of the new monkeys had slammed their faces into a wall of ice and now Trevor was using his not-hatsu, probably also magic though maybe not fen's style of magic, to produce lightning of all things. The hunter vaguely remembered a very particular scholarly folk on one of his missions stating that pure water didn't actually conduct electricity as Trevor called for water to be added to the mix. But as a saltwater creature, Aduain's hatsu naturally took on saltwater properties so really the thought was only a passing fancy as the boy was already preparing his attack.

"Couple'a geysers coming right up!" Aduain shouted as spouts of his nen appeared over each of the monkeys' heads. The force of the blasts would be strong enough to shove their heads down if not prepared but likely not enough to outright knock them down. More importantly the nen would have the intended effect the thunder-slinging mage was looking for.

Street Squad

The woman watched lazily from her perch as the group broke through and dodged away from the stones that fell from the sky. If they took a moment to look at her they'd notice that she looked...bored. She wasn't moving much and the rocks were doing all the work. As they fell they could see more simply forming in the air and dropping down on them. And still the woman sat and watched.

"Devin!  Melissa!" Morgan called out. "Hit me!  As hard as you can!  Just  don't  pierce  through  my  head  or  chest!"

A smirk appeared on the woman's face. So this strange creature, which made her think of a Banette, wanted to be hit hard was it? Suddenly the stone rain changed. Focusing on the area directly around Morgan. Leaving the others free from the falling rocks Morgan would now find the rain in her vicinity to triple in amount. Enough that they, with their slower movements, would find it harder to dodge.

It was then that the woman spoke finally. Calling out loudly to the three that had entered her field of vision. "If you're going to actually DO something you better do it now! I was getting bored breaking these flying things. Try and put up a bit more of a fight then they did or I'll just crush you just the same!"

Spoiler

So wasn't sure if I made it clear that the rocks weren't being thrown but more formed high in the sky and falling straight down at y'all. Though now less y'all more just Morgan, unless one of you are near her at the time. Also I should say the woman won't be making much of a move herself until you get closer so use that as you will.

Office Oarmy

The monkey-like creatures seemed to be growing more worked up as the group kept them at bay. In fact they noticed that a couple of them were causing some sort of uproar. Making loud noises that was creating a shockwave of energy that broke apart more of the ice that Fen had created. They were about to swarm when Trevor's thunderbolts began to fly. They tried to dodge out of the way while making it closer but it seemed that they had slowed in their assault due to having to avoid being struck.

Then when they were struck with the water they let out confused cries of "roth!" before the lightning that Trevor produced arced straight for them. Even as they moved the electricity branched out and caused a chain reaction. Electrocuting all of the creatures and seemingly knocking them unconscious. As they were downed the strange dark portals they saw the other day, which had claimed the beasts they fought when first arriving here, appeared and sucked their unconscious bodies in.

However their fight seemed to have  stirred something up because they could hear noises from the floors above them. It seemed these weren't the last of these creatures.

Spoiler

Alright so! Every two or three floors to the top there will be more of the Vigoroth, in most more than were on this floor, and basically...You can write out how they attack yourself. There are multiple staircases and every now and then the staircases will be blocked off which would force you to enter the office areas to find another staircase where you'll find more Vigoroth. You can clear the rubble to continue instead but they'll come into the staircase as you do this so you'd need to respond to that

But yeah don't breeze through too easily but feel free to make up how the fights go yourself as there are too many to make sense to have to go to me for every action. To make a comparison so you know how tough they are imagine them as if you're a group of adventurers in DnD and these are basically Orcs.

I figure I'll play it by ear how many posts like this till you get to the top, or if you decide to try something else I'll respond then, but for this next round at least it should go smoothly like his.

Also if you need to know what moves they would know

https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/vigoroth#dex-moves

Anything except TM and Move Tutor moves.

“For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.”
-Romans 13:4 (NIV)

Though Melissa couldn’t exactly “hold on tight” given her current situation, she could will Zadkiel to make doubly sure her body was attached to the cherub at all times, embraced by two of its four arms while the other two (or the sword-arm, at least) made work of the rocks crashing down around them. Or most of them, at least. Devin, though they remained on the ground, still managed a few boulders themselves.

“Devin!  Melissa!” Morgan said. “Hit  me! As  hard  as  you  can!  Just  don’t  pierce  through  my  head  or  chest!”

It was an odd request, to be sure, but it still fell short of “is it permissible to interface with your mind?” so it wasn’t the oddest thing she had heard that week. It occurred to Melissa that she hadn’t seen why Morgan had been called to Prana yet, and outside of “maybe being like Aduain,” she didn’t really have any good guesses. The oddness of the request was easier to process, then. This was probably just how Morgan worked.

Progress is slow, but it is still progress, as the cherub makes its advance towards the lone girl on the hill, sundering boulders all the while. It’s not only the stones sent its way the cherub has to watch out for, after all, but any that might be sent towards her teammates. In the end, the first exchange is in their favor -- nobody is hurt.

The girl on the hill says a few words before the second salvo begins in earnest, presumably in an attempt to make the three irrational and prone to mistakes, though in the angel’s case, at least, such words fall on deaf ears. The angel is more focused on the rocks, now no longer spread out amongst the three but focused only towards the zombie. There is no hesitation; the cherub dives back down and plants its legs firmly in the ground, ready to face this new onslaught.

It holds its flaming sword out in front of it and the first boulder slams into it, driving the angel back a step before its brace finally holds and its sword bifurcates the rock. Further rocks are easier, and though each half continues moving outwards at an angle relative to its point of impact, there is now a relatively safe area behind the cherub for the zombie and the shifter to stand.

We should do as she says, the angel says, referring to both the zombie’s request and the girl on the hill’s demand. It takes another step backwards as another boulder crashes into its sword. We can only hold out for so long.

As Fen readied herself to take the brunt of the buff sloth attacks, both Aduain and Trevor showed her once again her worries were misplaced. As the two electrocuted the horde of beasts Fen relaxed her shoulders and said, "uh, right. Nevermind then." Dismissing her icy armaments, the girl looked around the room to see another door leading to a stair case. This one decidedly not blocked by rubble and so their path was unbarred to continue going up. And so they continued. 

After going up a few more floors, the path was blocked yet again. With a wall of rubble in their way, the only forward was through the next room. And, with what they had just found, Fen was already on high alert here and so she was already expecting some monkey business in the next room. "I guess uh, be ready for anything?" The girl said to her two companions before conjuring an ice bow and arrow in her hands, walking first into the room. 

As she did ten more of the creatures that she had fought previously had jumped out from behind cubicles once more, ten of them this time all ready to charge the moment they noticed the trio. Though, only nine were actually able to, as one had found an arrow between its eyes the moments it had popped out from its cover. Seemingly undaunted by this Fen continued to charge her bow with ice magic, causing spikes to appear on the front of it before she tossed it into the charging crowd. One of the sloth monsters tried to swat it away, only to find that their arm was now impaled by an ice bow. As more approached, Fen conjured two ice knives that she continued to charge with magic before tossing them at the feet of two of the monsters, striking their mark and erupting into a larger block of ice that pinned the creatures in place. With one more running directly at her specifically, the girl conjured a small disc and chucked it at the creature and started walking to meet it. 

As the monster smashed through the disc, hammering its arms down onto it, Fen had already closed the distance, frozen short sword in hand. With one thrust she landed a blow into its got, as the more roared in pain it took another swing at her, the girl gracefully dodging the swing before going for another strike at its heart. Enduring through the strike it had just received, now that they were this close in a last act of desperation, the beast lurched forward trying to use its whole body to slam into the girl. Bringing her other arm up to defend, Fen stumbled, bending backward, briefly taken by the weight of the creature, gritting her teeth as she struggle a bit. Yet, it seemed that after the initial crash it was only the creatures weight that was pushing against her, as she shoved its body off of her, a frozen knife in its throat. 

As the woman taunted them more from above, Devin processed the request. Was there a way they could do that without seriously hurting Morgan? Would they lose control again? Would the-

But as the rocks began to train on Morgan, Devin found their body moving to help the girl, surprising even themselves. Of course, Melissa and her angel beat them to the punch, but maybe, just maybe...

"I-If you're sure, then...!" Devin took up a spot behind Morgan as Melissa protected them. With a deep breath, their right arm transformed into something mechanical Like a high tech prosthetic arm, almost. Pulling that arm back, a piston shot out of the elbow, releasing steam for a moment... Before slamming back in as the fist lunged forward, punching Morgan square in the back with all of their might. "I don't know why you need this, but I can do it again, if you really need me to!"

morgan.png

That woman up on the hill was saying something. She wasn't really sure what; one of the things Morgan had learned when dealing with enemies that could talk was that most of the time, if they started it, the best solution was to ignore their words and focus on their actions. And this girl certainly had actions. The hail of very large stones had focused in on the area directly above the little zombie, making it harder to dodge the immediate rocks and nigh impossible to dodge all of them. Or this would have been the case, had an angel of all things intervened! Morgan for one never believed in divine intervention, but it sure was happening!

While the sword-swinging angel covered the rest of the party from the rocky onslaught, that other person whose name escaped Morgan at present did something neat. Their arm transformed into a mechanical one, with pistons and everything! Then, with only a brief hiss of steam as warning, the metal arm slammed into Morgan's back, propelling her forward right past the angel, and directly into a falling rock. A one-two of unintentionally brilliant timing and the request she had made! It wasn't something the others would be able to see, non-Hunters that they were, but the aura around Morgan had grown heavier. Quite a bit so.

"And  now  we  fight!"

Picking up the rock she had collided with, Morgan hoisted it up and threw it directly back at the woman with strength far belying her stature, considerably more so than Aduain's display against the muscular man from yesterday. Following the projectile was the zombie herself, taking one leap to get to the pile where her target lied, then another to ascend. As much as she wanted to think something like "against a non-Hunter, this would be an easy fight all by herself", there wouldn't be a need for two of them among the Protectors if that were the case. Plus, she had teammates, so why bother trying to fix everything alone?

A mix of water and lightning proved to be super effective as far as Aduain was concerned. None of the monkeys were left standing after that. The trio pressed onward ever closer to the biggest monkey around before having to enter another room. Fen's word of caution was appreciated mostly because she formed another cool ice weapon when she did it. The fish took a moment to think about what it would be like to hold so much ice all the time before concluding he'd personally be wearing gloves all the time. He hadn't thought to buy any kind of warm gloves at the clothing store because this important train of thought had yet to cross his mind. But that was Fen Nen for you, really got the brain moving. No less so than Trevor's not-nen Aduain hadn't yet concocted a good nickname for. It did so many different things it was like having a bunch of different hatsus. There was probably some legendary hunter who could compare but nothing came immediately to mind.

"Ow! Oh right." The hunter realized while doing all this thinking one of the ten or so monkey creatures in the new room had already tackled and pinned him to the floor before slashing at his face. Three times in particular which somehow struck the hunter as a fairly average attack, maybe a little lucky. The scratches to his face were nothing to sneeze at but also nothing his nen wouldn't start patching up so long as he actually focused now. With a small exertion the boy reared his legs up underneath the animal and jumped to his feet, moving the beast off him in the process. He still had his trident in hand so it was good all the not-nen thinking hadn't distracted him that bad.

"My turn!" Aduain cheered as he dashed forward and thrust the back end of his trident into the creature's gut. The blow knocked the thing back and into another of the monkeys. Both involved in the collision soon stood, obviously fuming from their angry screeches. The two were now charging Aduain who was in the middle a large yawn. This seemed to only make the angry monkeys angrier and somehow the fish felt any sort of feeling of tiredness leave his body. Or at least enough that he wasn't going to actually fall asleep. Still he pointed down to the approaching attackers who ignored him only to be shot up into the air by a geyser of the hunter's nen that had formed below them. Aduain jumped up to meet them in the air and skewered one with the trident which quickly stopped fighting. The other managed to slash his back in the middle of it all which the hunter responded with another skewering, this time a bit less cheerful about it all. That one actually stung a bit which killed the just playing around vibe he was going for.

"So, we got a shortcut or something? These guys are kinda boring." Aduain called out to his teammates before casually kicking another charging beast away from him.

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

"So, we got a shortcut or something? These guys are kinda boring."

"The game presented to you isn't as palatable to you as a Hunter?" Trevor asked, dodging a few of the quick strikes from these creatures, before grabbing the chain around the grimoire and proceeded to swing the now bound book around him as if it were a medieval flail, immediately smacking one...then two...then three in rapid succession. "Honestly, these things are nothing like the Undecided...or even Heartless, so seems like they'll be able to be taken down just as easy."

He stated this proudly, as he smirked and immediately froze the ones that he hit with his grimoire where they laid on the floor, keeping them from getting back up. "However, our fishy friend does pose a good question on if there's a shortcut. Something tells me that if we remove the 'king' from his throne, the pawns here will basically stop going into a frenzy and may quiet down."

But with the elevator down, there's no way to just go up aside from the staircases...alas, if there was only a teleportation spell I could've learned...or maybe even the spell that grants the user flight. Trevor lamented, smacking another of these strange creatures with his grimoire before freezing it in it's place. "I'd be open to suggestions at this point."

Street Squad

As Morgan made her move the woman atop the pile's grin grew incredibly wide. In fact for a moment it looked unnaturally so. Their face, briefly, put on a terrifying visage and both Devin and Morgan felt something happen to their bodies. They felt themselves slow down somewhat even as the scary face vanished from their sight.

She gripped her weapon, still embedded in the vehicle, and swung it. The vehicle flung off of the blade and struck the rock Morgan sent at her. As it impacted there was a small explosion and the woman didn't flinch as shrapnel struck her body. Instead she gave a laugh as Morgan leapt towards her. "That's more like it!" she called out and brought her sword down at the zombie.

However before she finished her arc the blade shattered into several sharp, edged, stones that launched themselves at Morgan.

Without a weapon in hand the woman pulled back a fist and crouched down. Prepared to push off the pile and swing her fist when Morgan got closer.

Spoiler

So if not obvious so far she has used Scary Face (Which, would affect Melissa but the angels seem unaffected which Melissa is not moving anyway) and Stone Edge. The stone rain for what it's worth isn't technically a "move".

If you want to do more than a couple actions feel free as always to ask for how actions would play out. Am open to ideas of all sorts.

I'll post when it seems needed but if you want to grab their actions from me too that'd be fine. Pacing is half being left to you all for now.

Office Oarmy

As the group tried to think of a way to get through the floors faster, as to not exhaust themselves before facing the giant monster at the top, their discussion was interrupted by a cracking noise. It seemed to come from above them and, moments later, the ceiling gave way.

Stretching out through a large portion of the floor the ceiling above them crumbled and fell upon them. Chunks of stone tumbling from the sky. More than just the floor above them seemed to have been affected given the amount of rubble. Several floors worth of rubble came crashing down right above where they were standing.

And with this came more of those creatures. More than triple what they had encountered on this floor were now falling through the ceiling all at once. Some of them seemed to have been caught unawares but many looked to take advantage of the situation to leap down to attack the group.

That is, of course, if they weren't buried under rubble.

Spoiler

There's a shortcut! So, because of how your bodies are in this world this isn't necessarily "instant death" stuff but that much rubble falling on you would still cause injury so figure out how you either avoid, mitigate, or tank the hits and then how you deal with the vigoroth swarm.

I'm leaving faith in y'all if you want to work with each other talk it out or w/e. You also can do stuff solo just make sure the others know. I figure if you really went for it you could get through this in a post each but if you have to break it up into several posts that's fine too. I won't post unless it seems necessary so don't worry about me.

It really felt like Melissa was supposed to be more afraid of the woman on the hill’s face than she was, like it was supposed to affect her in some way, but it didn’t. Not that it would have put her at too much of a disadvantage either way, of course, given how her situation was currently “watching over the shoulder of a cherub who had sprung from a computer program in her brain as her body clung on lifelessly,” but then again, maybe it was supposed to affect Zadkiel also, and from her position, it hadn’t done a very good job of that either. The angel’s presence was the same as it ever was, and it was now, without a Morgan to stalwartly defend against an onslaught of rocks, ready to take to the skies once more.

Speaking of Morgan, she was already going on ahead, Devin’s rocket punch somehow giving her the necessary speed and power to leap forward and up the mound of carnage towards the woman on the hill, already near striking range, and the woman on the hill was now directing almost all of her attention towards that particular attack. It was only a short window, but enough for Melissa to realize what she and Zadkiel had to do next.

“Praise the Lord, you his angels,
    you mighty ones who do his bidding,
    who obey his word.
Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts,
    you his servants who do his will.
Praise the Lord, all his works
    everywhere in his dominion.
Praise the Lord, my soul.”
-Psalm 103:20-22 (NIV)

Even as she thinks it, the cherub is already moving, flying high into the sky on a wide arc, a path similar to her very first flight with the angel. Unlike then, of course, the direction is more deliberate, the point being to go up and over the woman, the zombie, the debris, and attack from the other side.

It does not stay on the other side for long, however. As soon as the cherub touches down, it reorients itself and takes off again, this time headed right for the girl on the hill, its two arms not securing its host outstretched in front of it as if preparing for a shove or a tackle. The action turns out to be the former, crashing into the girl and guiding her towards the zombie’s readied fist.

That the girl also had a punch ready does not go unnoticed, though the angel is helpless to stop it from connecting with the zombie’s face. Melissa makes a mental note to apologize later, but for now, is caught up in the angel swooping back up to make another pass.