radio414

radio414 rates music thread

23 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

but roberta what if i don't want it

certifiable bop 7.5/10

7 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

too sensical to be dada, to obtuse to be anything else/10

OP Suggestion: I've been avoiding listening to Infest the Rat's Nest again for a while because, while it's neither the first nor last time King Gizz gets topical, it's the most metal they've gotten since Nonagon Infinity, which makes it feel a bit more pointed, I guess? Plus, it has this song, about a then-hypothetical plague, and while some find catharsis in things like that, I haven't. But I got my second jab today, so I figure I'd finally do it on the way home, and, I mean, it's surface-level, but it's there 8.5/10 

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Sounds like a Katzenjammer song except replacing their folksy instrumentation with electronic synths. Unfortunately, it sounds like a middle-tier one. 5.5/10

OP Suggestion: Black Midi put out a new single, and it doesn't have Geordie on the vocals, which means it's automatically one of the more accessible Black Midi songs (love you Geordie, but it's true). Black Midi is still kind of weird when it comes to accessibility, though, but if this sounds good to you, I'd recommend more of it. 7.5/10

22 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

"voiced my childhood" no you didn't christopher sabat except for maybe the time crisis four guy sorry

Feels like a celebration of a community that I am not a part of -- the Avengers Endgame of fan songs 5/10

OP Suggestion: Thinking about King Crimson for no particular reason at all, but then again, you don't really need a reason to think about King Crimson 9/10

On 5/1/2021 at 12:00 AM, LordCowCow said:

6.5/10 I think I cut my finger on that edge

17 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

While I respect the idea of a breakup song that isn't either "they're worse than you think" or "please come back to me", the fact that the singer is presenting facts that I'd expect to get on a first or second date as revelatory probably says something about their former relationship. Song is fine, though 6/10

9 hours ago, The Frost King said:

Honestly just made me want to listen to the original Knife Party song, but I guess it's fine 7/10

OP Suggestion: Squarepusher is releasing an album that is just about me years old if you can believe it. Like the real Ernest Borgnine, this song goes places. 8/10 

On 5/2/2021 at 7:28 PM, LordCowCow said:

i admit going in i was trying to think up a pun like "but what if there was paraless of it?" but actually it's fine 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: I thought TOI 1338b was, like, a rocket or something and that's why there were all these samples referencing the space race, but it turns out it's a planet, which is still neat, just not what I was expecting. The song is neat, too, though parts of its aesthetic are a little jarring 7.5/10 

15 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Sounds like something that would show up in a nier game. Unfortunately, "i guess it could be in a nier game" is all I could really remember about it 6/10

OP Suggestion: It's May 4 so here is the only good Star Wars content yes this includes the movies 7/10

41 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

I actually don't know Gangsta's Paradise that well to know where the choir is supposed to be, so I had to listen to that after, but that just deprecates the joke, I think. 7.5/10 mostly for the original song anyway, though.

OP Suggestion: It's May 4, so here is a song for the 51st anniversary 7.5/10 

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I don't remember the lore of Zootopia enough to remember if the lyric about birds is weird in-universe but it's certainly worth remarking upon. Vocals felt a bit off in general but maybe I'm just used to Shakira 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Going back to my standard bleeps and bloops with pulling from The Quietus' list from last year, this one almost an ambient album with how it moves from movement to movement 7/10 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, LordCowCow said:

at a summer camp talent show a pair of counselors got a pair of campers to come up onstage sight unseen and then made them stare at each other while they sang this song and cavorted around them, mortifying both campers. because of peer pressure we got them to do it again at the end of the week. needless to say this awoke some memories in me 7/10

OP Suggestion: speaking of thumbs it's a song kind of about fingers 7.5/10

23 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I don't recognize the song this is responding to by the title but that bass is sexy 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: With Squid's new album released a few days ago I've come to realize I like Squid a lot but only in short bursts thanks anyway this song is a 7/10 when listening to the album front to back but an 8/10 by itself so I guess that makes it a 7.5/10

On 5/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, LordCowCow said:

Sounds kind of like a Stereogram song, which means I guess you know what I'm submitting to yours next, not sure how I feel about the lyrics in the bridge though 7/10

OP Suggestion: This is a parody song that, not living in the UK, I didn't really get the context of without someone explaining it to me but I feel like if you do live there this will be hilarious. Song is still a banger though 7.5/10