radio414

radio414 rates music thread

17 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

7.5/10 though i had to go to genius to find out context from 18 years ago lol

16 hours ago, yui said:

wait didn't i submit this to your music thread? or was that cow...

I was actually listening to all the mouth albums while at work recently -- Mouth Dreams is actually better than I remember it. This one is also 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: This one's a bit long for what it is but also I feel like that's part of the point, dragging out a painful emotion instead of just letting it go 7/10 

18 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

glad to see jirard completionist is doing well

sonic has always had a pretty good soundtrack 7/10

OP Suggestion: Mr Bruce, formerly of The Correspondents, is slowly releasing songs in anticipation of a new album, and while the first, "Race to Nowhere" took me a few listens to click with, this one was right away. Maybe that's because it's material Bruce has tread upon before (not that it doesn't need singing about)? In any case 7.5/10

16 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

fun fact: my only experience with enter sandman is its intro being blasted at virginia tech stadium and that's really only by osmosis

also fun fact: the cover album this appears on is extremely poorly organized what the heck why would i want to listen to ten different covers of the same song in a row

6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Have something avante garde that I didn't really mesh with on first listen but now hearing it a second time and knowing where it's going... I still don't really mesh with but it sure is interesting enough to share 6/10 

On 9/20/2021 at 3:06 AM, LordCowCow said:

sorry i only watched it in 720p60 so i couldn't get the full experience but it was still nice 7/10

OP Suggestion: The moment I finished listening to the new Low album it immediately got added to my "can't stop thinking about this album" rotation 8/10 

2 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Vocals are a bit low. It's understandable given what the song is used for, but I wonder if there's another version with a different mix somewhere? A live performance maybe?

6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Sufjan Stevens does a lot of things but here he is coming back to the old standby -- mellow alt-indie rock -- without missing a beat 7/10

On 9/22/2021 at 3:00 AM, LordCowCow said:

took me a second to find the daniwell-p credit but i found it, confirmed not-coward

7/10 original is better than people give it credit for and it is very mutable

On 9/23/2021 at 6:51 AM, yui said:

song actually bears some similarities to the plot of the 2019 canadian indie film anne at 13,000 feet, 7/10

OP Suggestion: Been thinking about Vessel again, this song is basically the compilation of all the other themes on the album, and it's actually greater than the sum of its parts 8.5/10 

On 9/26/2021 at 12:19 AM, LordCowCow said:

giving the melody to the bass for a few bars was an interesting choice and the final stanza threw me off every time I got to it but sure 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Oh speaking of Vessel they collaborated with Lyra Pramuk to make this song and it's about what you'd expect giving a vocal artis like Pramuk access to Vessel. A good follow-up to the last suggestion 8.5/10 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:33 AM, LordCowCow said:

8/10 was surprised how much I liked this one

OP Suggestion: On the other side of the coin, have some nice relaxing 70's-inspired electronica 7/10 

17 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

what does this song smell like?

wait why do the opening lines have the same meter as come together by the beatles

7/10

OP Suggestion: A coworker and I were discussing music today and so I pass their recommendation on to you, definitely a grungy sort of punk sound (and also the length you'd expect from those words) 7/10 

23 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

not a dig but it sounds a lot like the end credits song from Ico 6.5/10

10 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Reminds me of Red Tin Box, also not a dig, just an observation of aesthetics. This one's chorus was, while understandably so, still a bit too repetitive for me 6/10

OP Suggestion: Was also recommended Queen Bee, a Japanese rock band with a queer singer and some bops in both beat and style 7.5/10