radio414

radio414 rates music thread

On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, LordCowCow said:

why do these video makers insist on having thirty seconds of silence at the end of every video? i understand a few so end cards don't interfere, but, uh, thirty is more than a few.

Song is fine, wasn't a fan of the breakdown near the end, but it wasn't too bad 6.5/10

17 hours ago, yui said:

Short, obviously, but pretty rad, actually, for what it is 8/10

OP Suggestion: Been delving into some post-rock history in anticipation of the new GY!BE album, starting with Slint's Spiderland. I admit I was a little underwhelmed on my first listen, if only because the album has sort of a mythical reputation behind it, so what could meet such expectaions? Even then, the final song bangs pretty hard and I'll probably listen to the rest again to reevaluate. 9/10

19 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Kind of hype, kind of generic, if a mix of both of those makes sense 6/10

OP Suggestion: Have some funk, with a bass walking as much as the elephants are implied to by the title 7.5/10

On 3/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, LordCowCow said:

Puddles is definitely one of the best PMJ collaborators, though once the "surprise the guy in whiteface makeup sings good" effect wears off the songs deprecate to just "pretty good" levels 7/10

On 3/6/2021 at 6:28 AM, yui said:

Didn't really grab me even after a couple listens, unfortunately, because I can see how it could 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Jenny Hval and Håvard Volden are here to take you on a meditative journey, starting as spoken word and slowly evolving into something more 8.5/10

On 3/7/2021 at 4:35 PM, yui said:

it doesn't suddenly get better because it's faster 6/10

On 3/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, LordCowCow said:

By a similar token, Bang Bang is fine, certainly catchy, but the cover doesn't add or detract much of anything from the song 6.5/10

10 hours ago, The Frost King said:

Genre is a lie and all but this sounds like City Pop? Generally a 7/10 sort of feeling from City Pop.

OP Suggestion: Sarah Chadwick with the most recent "It's March... again" sort of mood 7/10 

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Those were some really good guitar sounds at the beginning and while I still liked the guitar later in the song it didn't really sound like it did again 7/10

OP Suggestion: So a few months(?) ago I said "here's a nineteen minute song partly about a horse" and I neglected to mention that there were clearly more maximalist punk songs vaguely about horses yet to come. This one is twenty-six-and-a-half minutes and, honestly, I think I like this one even more than the first. 8.5/10

On 3/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, LordCowCow said:

I don't think I've actually listened to the lyrics of this song before. It's always just been "woo hoo" and "no no" before.

7.5/10

14 hours ago, cr47t said:

can't see the word "photograph" in a song without thinking "look at this graph" sorry

You did the "not scrubbing links so posting a whole playlist not just the one song" thing like Frost King did, gonna ask you not to do that.

7/10, felt like it dragged near the end a bit, though

OP Suggestion: "Mt. Mountain" is a banger of a band name and this song is a pretty chill way to round out the night 7.5/10 

8 hours ago, radio414 said:

You did the "not scrubbing links so posting a whole playlist not just the one song" thing like Frost King did, gonna ask you not to do that.

sorry, i don't know how to 'scrub links', can you tell me how?

anyway heres another;

i know it's not the original pace and pitch but i do think the edit lends itself to the song very well. your thoughts?

On 3/11/2021 at 11:57 PM, LordCowCow said:

you don't have to explain why you like a song lol

A bit too busy and over the place for me, but still a fun sort of 6/10

On 3/12/2021 at 4:36 AM, The Frost King said:

Cute music video and the song is fun, kind of wish it was just two minutes without the breakdown at the end but that's probably just taste. 6.5/10

On 3/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, cr47t said:

sorry, i don't know how to 'scrub links', can you tell me how?

Sure thing. So you notice how when you're copying a link over from youtube it goes "youtube.com/watch?=whatever"? That's all you need to submit to get the video to embed over here on NCM (unless the video uploader disabled embeds but you'll be able to tell when that happens). If it also includes something like "&list=whateverwhatever", just don't copy that part over when submitting a link.

As for the song, you're actually gonna make me look up the original Exhausted myself, huh? My reaction listening to that was there was already a sizeable amount of reverb in the original, so I wasn't really sure what "slowed and reverb to perfection" was supposed to mean when I switched over, and it turns out it meant nothing! They're the same, except one has a jarring filter over it that made it seem interminably longer (I guess that is exhausting if that's what you're going for). If you want to cover Exhausted and make it basically a dirge you could probably call up Dave Grohl and ask (and given his reputation, he might even say yes) but what you don't do is stick an .mp3 into Audacity and stretch it out a bit. 3/10

Sorry if that's too punchy, but people go the opposite direction (tempo and pitch up) and call it "nightcore" and I'm not a fan of that either.

OP Suggestion: Let's dance to Joy Division (no not the Wombats song) 7.5/10

2 hours ago, radio414 said:

you don't have to explain why you like a song lol

A bit too busy and over the place for me, but still a fun sort of 6/10

Cute music video and the song is fun, kind of wish it was just two minutes without the breakdown at the end but that's probably just taste. 6.5/10

Sure thing. So you notice how when you're copying a link over from youtube it goes "youtube.com/watch?=whatever"? That's all you need to submit to get the video to embed over here on NCM (unless the video uploader disabled embeds but you'll be able to tell when that happens). If it also includes something like "&list=whateverwhatever", just don't copy that part over when submitting a link.

As for the song, you're actually gonna make me look up the original Exhausted myself, huh? My reaction listening to that was there was already a sizeable amount of reverb in the original, so I wasn't really sure what "slowed and reverb to perfection" was supposed to mean when I switched over, and it turns out it meant nothing! They're the same, except one has a jarring filter over it that made it seem interminably longer (I guess that is exhausting if that's what you're going for). If you want to cover Exhausted and make it basically a dirge you could probably call up Dave Grohl and ask (and given his reputation, he might even say yes) but what you don't do is stick an .mp3 into Audacity and stretch it out a bit. 3/10

Sorry if that's too punchy, but people go the opposite direction (tempo and pitch up) and call it "nightcore" and I'm not a fan of that either.

yeah i dont like nightcore either. there are some songs that wouldbn't fit a slow and reverb (any van halen for example) but i chose this one because i got a stronger feeling of mood out of it. but now i'm curious, what's your opinion on the original exhausted? (there's also a demo version that reportedly impressed kurt cobain but i am asking about the album release)

you know what, i might as well post a new song too

still, thoughts on the original album ver of exhausted??

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Fun but I already started forgetting any lyric that wasn't the title 6/10

7 hours ago, cr47t said:

still, thoughts on the original album ver of exhausted??

that's cheating it's got good reverb and is appropriately slow

As for the actual song submitted, I liked most of it until the breakdown at the end 7/10

OP Suggestion: Continuing my dig through post-rock's roots has lead me to Talk Talk's final two albums. They were a synthpop band before this, but became more and more experimental in style as time went on and their final album, Laughing Stock, is hardly synthpop at all. This isn't from Laughing Stock, it's from Spirit of Eden, the album before, where there are still trace synthy elements that I think are worth holding onto. 8/10 

23 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Not really a fan, tbh, got kind of annoyed 4/10

OP Suggestion: DECIUS has a lot of Fat White Family members so I was already inclined to like it given that band's more recent output, but also this song kind of slaps on its own. You do have to get past some pretty intense mouth and nose noises, so I understand it's not for everyone, but I like it 7.5/10