radio414

radio414 rates music thread

On 3/27/2021 at 1:51 AM, LordCowCow said:

I realize this song was, like, a thing back in 2018 but it's not one of the things I think about when I think about Spiderverse 7/10

19 hours ago, cr47t said:

I feel like you got lucky that I went on a fuzzy guitar kick (more punk than grunge, not that genres mean anything) but sure, I'll bite. I will say it felt like it was running a little long, though. 7/10

OP Suggestion: Altın Gün's album "Yol" takes some Turkish folk songs and, straight from their bandcamp, "reframes traditional sounds for a contemporary audience". Defintiely sounds more psychadelic than folk, but like that says, that's part of the point, and I can dig it. 8/10 

On 3/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, LordCowCow said:

I've definitely listened to this before but forgot it pretty quick. "every day every hour..." got some memories though 6/10

OP Suggestion: Woom's debut EP has some aggressive titles but the song is surprisingly chill and maybe it's that dichotomy that gives it more meaning, at least to me 7.5/10

On 3/30/2021 at 12:22 AM, LordCowCow said:

she's really t-posing at the end there huh.

It's fine 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: "Reverie" has this aged aesthetic about it, not just in the framing of the video, but how it sounds like one of those old synth sounds you might get watching an infomercial or how-to tape, which I guess is just how nostalgia works now 7 or 7.5/10 I can't decide. 

20 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

The xylophone(? synth?) riff in the middle sounds suspiciously similar to Under The Sea, like, not to the point where I was like "Hey that's that riff," but I definitely thought of it 7/10, though, it's a good riff (and also a good song)

OP Suggestion: Similar to yesterdays suggestion in that it evokes some nostalgic imagery in its video, except it's indie rock and also in Spanish 7/10 

On 4/1/2021 at 1:41 AM, LordCowCow said:

can't believe cascada got killed by a runaway beat 7/10

16 hours ago, yui said:

bruh/10

OP Suggestion: Went back and listened to some older prog rock ("dad rock") for kicks. Supertramp really doesn't sound like what you think when you hear the name, it turns out (though it does sound like a prog rock band, so there's that) 8/10 

12 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

s1l66BI.png

i get it now 7/10

OP Suggestion: As I mentioned in a status already, a new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album dropped today called "G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END" so I might as well put a song from the album here (though technically it's only part of a song; they split up their 20-minute compositions for streaming platforms). I'm still reeling from my first few full-album listens, but looking at some reactions online, I feel like paraphrasing a conversation between Joseph Heller and an interviewer: It may be true that GY!BE hasn't made anything as quite good as "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven", but, then again, who has? 9/10

On 4/3/2021 at 12:55 AM, LordCowCow said:

5.5/10, saved from worse by the marching band snare showing up on occasion; i'm a sucker for that stuff

3 minutes ago, Kazooie said:

i don't think an out of ten rating can properly quantify a song like this (and i mean that in a loving way)

OP Suggestion: I'd call this vaporwave in the vein of James Ferarro's "FARSIDEVIRTUAL" if KLF haven't been doing since the eighties. And also this isn't "wave" at all. But it does have the same mindset, incorporating and mutating samples, turning the ambience into a commentary on itself. And maybe that's a lot of pretentions (especially when talking about a genre many regard as a meme) for something I could say "like 'The Avalanches' but slower" about, but whatever it's my thread fight me 8/10

On 4/4/2021 at 3:37 AM, LordCowCow said:

appreciate the "anime covers" playlist popping up as one of the cards at the end

also appreciate the Mako credit, less so on the lack of credit for "Tale of Iroh" writer Andrew Huebner or either of A:tLA's composers, Jeremy Zuckerman or
Benjamin Wynn, especially since Caleb gives himself "additional lyrics" credit.

6/10 I like that moment in the show a lot, but I'm not personally going to go back and listen to Leaves from the Vine devoid of that context.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:42 AM, yui said:

7.5/10 that (i assume synth) trombone is real sexy. Felt a bit short but I guess it's for a rhythm game and those things can't go too long.

OP Suggestion: Dry Cleaning's debut album is out, featuring their standard indie rock riffs backing lead vocalist Florence Shaw's spoken word poetry. It's an eclectic mix, but a fun one 7.5/10 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, LordCowCow said:

can't wait for the "be somebody" mashup with whitney houston's "i wanna dance with somebody" 7/10

21 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

Ooh Black Keys 8/10

OP Suggestion: Lice here with some occasionally dissonant but always interesting punk rock 7/10 

15 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

the trick to getting a catchy song unstuck is to sing the hook backwards so in this case you have to say "hgih, ragus nolemretew" a few times that should do the trick 7.5/10

OP Suggestion: Sons of Kemet's got a new album coming out next month and that's pretty exciting, here's a single from that 7.5/10