radio414

radio414 rates music thread

On 12/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, LordCowCow said:

Just like the last vtuber song that got posted (I think), I'm more interested in some of the details surrounding song, like wondering whether Calliope put the disclaimer after fans got worried or if she was just considerate enough to head that off at the pass. Song seems fine, 6/10, welcome to page 5.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, The Chayncemaniac said:

A lot of rap in this queue, not saying I can't suggest some also but I do admit it's a bit outside my wheelhouse.

Seems like a decent enough boast. 6/10

2 hours ago, yui said:

I understand it's a style choice to replace "War" in the chorus with "The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee", but it makes it really difficult to take the song seriously. Maybe that's the point and it's not supposed to be taken that seriously, but then I feel like I'd be more amused on the second or third listen 5/10

OP suggestion: I imagine normie little me saying I like Run the Jewels probably detracts from their pedigree than adds to it but they make good songs Bront 8.5/10 

Edited by radio414

If you're not sure whether you should take a power metal song seriously, you probably aren't supposed to take it seriously. Here's a music video from the same band with the same lore with space battles featuring a fleet of submarines to make my point.

18 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

snow bad? is that what i'm supposed to say here?

Let It Snow is like a middle-tier winter song anyway and the arrangement doesn't really elevate that. 5.5/10

12 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Certainly different than the last one but I enjoyed it about the same 6/10

5 hours ago, yui said:

If you're not sure whether you should take a power metal song seriously, you probably aren't supposed to take it seriously. Here's a music video from the same band with the same lore with space battles featuring a fleet of submarines to make my point.

I guess I don't need, like, super serious -- I mean, that's most melodrama, right? -- but I would like the vocalist to take it seriously at least, and doing last-second word swaps does not give me that impression. This song's better about it, though. 6/10

My two criticisms of Boards of Canada are that they don't release often enough and that their name is misleading -- they're Scottish. 8/10

On 12/7/2020 at 12:12 AM, LordCowCow said:

My first thought going into this was "this is going to be aggressively twee, isn't it?"

Narrator: It was aggressively twee

Still fine 6.5/10, just musing on the aesthetics

On 12/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, The Chayncemaniac said:

Decent message, alright song 6/10

OP suggestion: found a new Post-Rock band to fall in love with, the band name is Jakob, they're Kiwi, they've been doing this since 1999 and they're great 8/10 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:20 PM, LordCowCow said:

Immediate reaction was "that was short" like it could have used one more verse or a coda or something. As it stands I listened to it a few times and to me it's just kinda... there 5/10

OP suggestion: Not the song I was expecting with a title like "Blacklung" but it works 6.5/10 

17 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

gotta be a pain to clean up. there's definitely glitter somewhere on that set today, six years later.

7/10

4 hours ago, yui said:

Feels like a Lindsey Stirling song

I liked the first half and the second half kind of dropped off for me, maybe the intro percussion colored my expectations for the rest of the song. Still enjoyed 6.5/10

4 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Overstayed its welcome a bit but it's pretty fun. 6.5/10

OP suggestion: There's only one dance you're allowed to do to this song. You know which one I'm talking about. 7.5/10 

22 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

final fantasy 7/10

5 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

Also 7/10

OP suggestion: "Voodoo Posse Chronic Illusion" is a 10/10 name, though song is noise-adjacent and probably not for everyone. I like it well enough though 6.5/10 

On 12/12/2020 at 2:44 AM, LordCowCow said:

6/10, I know I said I wouldn't justify my scores but I enjoyed this one less than the other twee one because it felt like it had two endings and that threw me off.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, The Chayncemaniac said:

The set reminds me of that movie The Square that won Cannes a few years back.

6.5/10

OP suggestion: The Quietus did their top 100 albums list for this year and I figured I'd borrow some of that. Here's from #100, a mix of dark synths and growling vocals. Pretty fun, I think. 7/10

Edited by radio414