radio414

radio414 rates music thread

20 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

I feel like videogame OSTs are tricky especially for games I haven't played because they're meant to have context accompanying them? So without context (or memory of the context the game provides) I'm left with something nice-sounding but meaningless to me. I assume it's something suitably dramatic for the name "Don't speak her name" (which, in my headcanon, is the name of an Old One and the plot is her rising from her slumber) 5.5/10

9 hours ago, yui said:

I know the song's like "don't judge" and I'm not judging the pajama pants angle, but I just don't find sandals comfy, socks or no. So that aspect of the dgaf fantasy is lost on me and the rest of the song quickly follows 3/10.

3 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

I struggled with trying to put this as diplomatically as possible because I don't want to make it seem like I'm trashing the subject matter, but this isn't a song I want to hear more than once in a row. Maybe that's actually because of the song's personal nature; part of me feels like a voyeur. 5/10, but you do get points for making page six.

I swear Vessel gets weirder and weirder with every release. I hopped on the bandwagon with their third album, Queen of Golden Dogs, but it turns out I'd been hearing the song Red Sex in trailers from Far Cry 5 to The Handmaiden. The EPs they've released this year continue their explorations into a sort of hypnotic mysticism that has also led to them abandoning the harsher tones featured in the above-mentioned tracks. It's still experimental and probably a 7.5/10 but I'm still fascinated. 

19 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Couldn't decide between 6.5 or 7/10 in those thirty seconds, even if it felt suspiciously more like two hundred and forty-eight.

7 hours ago, yui said:

I'm glad the youtube comments were calling out Rankin-Bass because that's where my mind went too. 6/10

7 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

I like it enough for 7.5/10 but I just have not liked Elias' voice any time I've heard it. The rest of the track is really nice though.

I heard Barns Courtney by chance once -- I think his song Glitter & Gold was used in a trailer for something -- and have been following off-and-on since. Got a chance too see him live once, actually. You know, in the before times. 8.5/10 

10 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Leave Britney alone.

Like seriously, that conservatorship seems kind of messed up.

I only know the Backstreet Boys for when they were on Arthur that one time.

uh 6.5/10

OP Suggestion: Back to that Quietus list, here's a song from #99. They describe it as "meant to disorientate, warp, and unnerve." I would describe it exactly as it is named, a theme from some horror movie not yet made. 8/10

Edited by radio414

On 12/16/2020 at 5:05 AM, LordCowCow said:

'Salright, didn't leave that big an impact though 6/10.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, The Chayncemaniac said:

All that whispering is making me anxious but 7/10

On 12/16/2020 at 9:35 PM, yui said:

We talked about my problems with this specific area of power metal before and we probably still disagree so I won't re-air those grievances, but in lieu of that I will say it felt like the song was lesser with each passing verse, like, I got the joke already. Points for being on-season, though. 5.5/10

15 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

8/10 I laughed.

OP Suggestion: Quietus had this at #97 for the but I already had this queued up because a friend who's into jazz passed this on and I think it's pretty fun 8/10 

20 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

i know why

still 5.5/10

15 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

idk dude maybe if you ever referred to your ex as something other than "having a sweet ass" your relationship might have been ok 3/10

OP Suggestion: Bill Callahan put a new record out this year so if you're looking for more "melancholy mid-fifties white guy" music you could do a whole lot worse. 7/10 

So I know what you said about video game music and context but I think the context in this one is pretty clear and even if not I have to post it because, well, name

3 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

First impressions were strong but on each relisten I found things that kind of bothered me. Personally, he vocal rhythm in the prechorus was a little jarring. But I also like the aesthetic so points for that 7/10

2 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

oh no my one weakness something having a really specific title

This one's better about it, 7/10. Current theory is that the vocals, even if they're functionally meaningless (I'm sure they're real meaningful in latin but that's not their primary aesthetic value come on), give something to latch onto. Or maybe I'm just feeling nicer.

OP suggestion: Feeling sad after finding out DJ Chucks but at least he and Mr. Bruce left us with some bangers. 9/10 

21 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Got some issues with how this person does typography but that's not related to the song which is a 7.5/10

6 hours ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

6.5/10, sometimes choruses that repeat the same line work for me (see This Year, by The Mountain Goats), sometimes they don't, but it was still a good listen.

The OP Suggestion section is now dedicated to Christmas songs. Here's Sufjan Stevens' Christmas Unicorn which is, well, like a lot of Sufjan songs, a lot to take in, starting with a critique of holiday consumer culture and turning into, uh, kind of a celebration of being exactly that? It is fun, at least. 7.5/10 

One more of these before I dive into Christmas music

Your lowest rated of the bands but my favorite of the songs, let's see how this goes

It's also very fun to see live but this is better for rating

16 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Comments about "business" still remain but this one's better about it 6/10

OP Suggestion: It's interesting watching bands try write "quarantine Christmas songs" that won't hopefully be dated by next Christmas. Here's US Girls' attempting, focusing on other existential issues, and it's a fun 8/10.