LordCowCow

Thanksgiving Food

Turkey Day is almost upon us and so I ask of NCM. What Thanksgiving foods are your favorite? Least favorite? Do you have any particular dish you make that's out of the norm or...well, anything related to the food of the holiday I suppose.

I remember my great-aunt had this turkey-shaped cookie cutter that was just the right size for the canned gelatinous cranberry sauce  she got so when that came around it would be in these little turkeys and that was always good fun. Don't know what happened to that cookie cutter though.

The only other big food-related memory was how I would always forget that I didn't like the sweet-potato-and-marshmallow dish until the next Thanksgiving and then I would swear it off again, a cycle that repeated for a full decade, I think.

Well, when my dad was alive, my family's Thanksgiving usually dealt with the following:

• A ham, with cinnamon sticks in it along with them holding up small slices of pineapple on them for some flavor (Some people go with the birds for Thanksgiving, we went with ham cause everyone loves ham)
  • Rolls, better be the King's Hawaiian butter flavored ones
  • Loaded Mashed Potatoes. Like, you know a baked potato? Yeah, we decided to remove the baked portion and just made mashed potatoes, adding sour cream, chives, cheese and bacon and it was amazing

Unfortunately, we haven't specifically had that done within the last year. However, this year, we're going a bit south of the border with Thanksgiving food and having Mexican (making tacos and everything).

Can't really say anything is out of the ordinary for my family's Thanksgiving. We got the usual lineup:

Turkey
Stuffing (cornbread and regular)
Mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole
Homemade rolls
Cranberries (homemade sauce and canned jelly)
Corn (regular and creamed)
A shit-ton of gravy

Might be some others that I forgot, but those are just what I could think of at the top of my head. My personal favorite is the green bean casserole and my least favorite is the cranberries, despite that it used to be my favorite (more specifically the canned stuff.) The corn is a close second favorite, cause I just love corn.

Not sure how this year is gonna go, though. My parents are traveling for the next several months and my sisters are 3 hours away, so it depends on what we plan on doing.

Ham and gravy is definitely my favorite food on Thanksgiving, with the cranberry sauce being my least favorite. Every year though, we have to make two separate bowls of deviled eggs apart from the main plate. I don’t like the yellow part and my sister doesn’t like the egg, so it takes both of us to eat a single egg.

Cranberry sauce.

a good Turkey dinner with gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce is good, but the cranberry sauce is the best. Jellied or whole berry.

It's kinda funny since it's often mentioned but I've never had green bean casserole

Other than that I tend to have the normal fare. Favorite easily being stuffing.

We also usually have 3 or 4 different pies

Just going to bring up the list of YEARLY things my family insisted on.

A turkey

A ham

Chicken and Dumplings

Dressing

Dressing, made without onion

Stove Top Stuffing

Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Casserole, no nuts

Sweet Potato Casserole, no nuts or marshmallow

Gravy

Snap Peas

Green Beans

Collards

Mashed Potatoes

Mac and Cheese

Deviled Eggs

Cranberry Sauce

Rolls

Banana Pudding

Chocolate Cake

Strawberry Cake

One more dessert that differed

And repeat for Christmas and Easter. It’s absurd. Plus more I can’t recall atm.

SO.

Turkey totally isn't out of the norm, but one year we had an amazing turkey. It was perfectly moist, not dry at all, evenly cooked. Honey coated with butter and just delicious. It was also the year that we accidentally cooked the turkey upside down the entire time on accident. 10/10 would recommend cooking your turkey upside down on accident.

Not a big fan of turkey, but what I am a big fan of is pumpkin pie. Tragically, it seems there's dairy in it, and I've been having some trouble with dairy these last few months. However, I am ready to suffer for the pie, as it is overall one of my favorite foods and only really gets served up once or twice a year. Forgive me, digestive system, but brain and heart have made their decree.

Edited by yui

My dad makes a great ham every year. We've never really been big on turkey. But I'm really just looking forward to visiting my parents and getting to my mom's cornbread stuffing.