Arbalest's Big Crossbow

ABC Discusses Tagforce Characters (TF1 #5-2 - Skull Servants, no Ruins)

On 12/4/2020 at 6:20 PM, Arbalest's Big Crossbow said:

He runs a very interesting deck and when I eventually unlock the Zombie pack, I really wanna remake it myself.

Holy fuck, this was a year and a half ago. Anyways, since this finally happened, I'm going to try a different kind of entry this time around.

Tagforce 1 #5-2: The Return of Bawnji

I may be doing a few of these before getting back to the rest of the characters. I finally beat the game and took the opportunity to unlock a bunch of the endgame packs. I've gotten everything except for the heal and the burn packs, but that's because I need to partner up with Sadie and Dorothy and beat the game with them. I got the Spellcaster, Zombie, Princeton Dragon, a weird pack based off of "hot guys" (thanks a lot Mindy, because of you I had to wait fifty bazillion years just to get Mataza the Zapper)  and the vanilla trashbin pack with 170 Normal Monsters in it. I also got two other packs that are there to help me yoink up any cards I haven't gotten yet, but I never was a fan of these kinds of packs.

Bawnji's deck is a mesh of a Skull Servant deck and a Blasting the Ruins deck held together by Human-Wave Tactics. I liked the concept, but he runs a lot of cards that he really shouldn't, most notably the vanilla Zombies that are too high-level to even use. I don't have all the copies of Blasting the Ruins, so I won't be able to give my own take on this exact deck idea, but I can still make a Skull Servant deck.

Spoiler

unknown.png

3x Bottomless Trap Hole

2x Creature Swap

Crush Card Virus*

Cyber Jar

3x Dust Tornado

3x Foolish Burial

3x Goblin Zombie

Heavy Storm

3x King of the Skull Servants

Lightning Vortex

Mystical Space Typhoon

Pot of Greed

3x Pyramid Turtle

Ryu Kokki

3x Sakuretsu Armor

Sangan**

3x Skull Servant

Snatch Steal

Spirit Reaper

Swords of Revealing Light

Torrential Tribute

2x Vampire Lord

* The pre-errata version of Crush Card Virus, which does not prevent damage nor does it allow your opponent to destroy cards in their Deck

** Sangan has no restriction on the effects of cards with the name of the card added, nor does it have a hard OPT

Too bad there are only two Skull Servants. It takes a bit of effort to make the King have even 3k+ ATK, and while Foolish Burial helps a ton it's still a lategame boss. There are better choices for early game aggression but you'll need to use a Pyramid Turtle to get that set up. Vampire Lord is incredibly good here because the AI isn't smart enough to understand that it comes back every time it's destroyed by an effect. Baiting Sakuretsu or Torrential with this card is incredibly good. BTH, not so much. Ryu Kokki can probably be replaced with Vampire's Curse, which starts with 400 less ATK but can be raised to 100 more. Plus with the ability to float off of battle destruction, you can try to stall into a comeback. Ryu Kokki's effect is negligible here since there are only a few monsters that it's useful against, plus with as much other removal as I'm running it tends to be redundant.

If neither of those are good enough for establishing an offense, then you can instead hide behind a Spirit Reaper. Immunity to battle destruction is really good during this time period. Even with effect removal being readily available, a lot of people aren't going around running a bunch of Fissures or Smashing Grounds. Cards like BTH and Sakuretsu were better because you could stop threats even faster than with Spell cards, but those cards can't counter Spirit Reaper.

In case you don't draw Pyramid Turtle, Goblin Zombie is halfway decent here. It's not very great (for now) because you can't float into Vampire Lord and you have to spend a Normal Summon on what you search for. I'd like to swap them out for something else but I don't know what for yet. An earlier version of this deck had Mystic Tomato, but that was even worse. Not only were you forced to summon monsters in Attack, which is particularly bad since you have a bunch of weak monsters, it can't even Special Summon the King because its ATK is technically not 1500 or less. Sangan is a Goblin Zombie that can't search King, but it can search Pyramid Turtle which I think is ultimately better.

BTH and Sakuretsu offer a huge safety net against powerful monsters, while the triple Dust Tornadoes are excellent at countering backrow. Creature Swap is an evil card here, letting you swap a Pyramid Turtle, GobZom, or Sangan for an opponent's monster and then killing it to get yourself another card. I could have probably ran a few less copies of some of these cards to make room for Zombie support such as Book of Life but I'm not entirely sure if I want to do that. There's probably too much backrow for Cyber Jar to be good here but I can't stop running it.

My next post will probably be something like this. There were a few characters I wanted to revisit once I got some more cards, and now that I have almost every card in the game I can do that. I'll need to hurry through with the rest of the cast because I did finally beat this game and I want to get onto the next Tagforce. I never played 2-4 or 6, so I'm really interested in that. But I don't wanna skip a bunch of peeps.