Sign in to follow this  
(o ×)

[EDH] Vadrok Combo

https://archidekt.com/decks/1007251#Balanced_Mutation

This deck is my baby that I desperately want to see thrive.

Uses Vadrok to cast Restore Balance, Retribution of the Meek, or Citywide Bust to deal with opposing threats, giving me time to reach a combo win. Creatures that can bounce themselves allow me to consistently re-mutate vadrok, if I want to build up advantage with something like Sevinne's Reclamation.

Combos to win with are dramatic scepter (ultimately resulting in making opponents draw out through ancestral visions) and looping dockside, vadrok, and snap to generate infinite mama (ultimately resulting in making opponents draw out through ancestral visions). What do I do if they have hexproof? Iunno, try chaos warping whatever gave them hexproof? I guess?

I could definitely do with increasing the amount of interaction in the list, probably something like silence, swan song, flusterstorm, or miscast to help protect my combo, but it is difficult to find cuts in this sort of cobbled-together brew.

Key to the City is a 2-drop artifact for Tribute Mage that loots, though it's probably bad otherwise if you're not focused on attacking.

Goblin Welder doesn't tutor but is tutorable by Ranger-Captain

Tolaria West can find any number of zeroes

Interaction-wise Muddle the Mixture doubles as protection and another 2-drop tutor.

Is Owl Familiar better than Merfolk Looter?

Greater Gargadon for the Restore Balance memes

7 hours ago, radio414 said:

Key to the City is a 2-drop artifact for Tribute Mage that loots, though it's probably bad otherwise if you're not focused on attacking.

I don't think this does anything. I don't see a scenario when I wouldn't rather get scepter or a rock.

Goblin Welder doesn't tutor but is tutorable by Ranger-Captain

I haven't used engineer's activated ability. It's an engine piece to mill crystal shard, which is then cast by vadrok mutated onto the engineer. The shard then bounces the two of them, allowing me to recast engineer for another artifact to get back, etc.

Tolaria West can find any number of zeroes

Yeah I should definitely run that.

Interaction-wise Muddle the Mixture doubles as protection and another 2-drop tutor.

Fuck, that's another dockside, I should definitely run it.

Is Owl Familiar better than Merfolk Looter?

Yes. There is debate on it compared to Merfolk traders, though.

Greater Gargadon for the Restore Balance memes

As hilarious as it would be, I don't think that gets me anywhere.

Major edits to list have been made. Removed martial captain and replaced him with recruiters, cut dramatic scepter entirely because the dockside line is considerably cooler, added more bounce spells to help dockside go off.

Into the Roil is better than Blink of an Eye because it's older

Dusk // Dawn and Time Wipe are relevant wraths (I realize there's a =<3 theme going on here but I figured I'd still suggest them)

Similarly barely in-theme is Goblin Dark-Dwellers

Fissure Wizard is a goblin that rummages if you want that

You can cast both sides of Wear // Tear off of Vadrok

3 hours ago, radio414 said:

Into the Roil is better than Blink of an Eye because it's older

Blink of an Eye is better because it isn't flavor-locked to a single plane.

Dusk // Dawn and Time Wipe are relevant wraths (I realize there's a =<3 theme going on here but I figured I'd still suggest them)

Paying 5 mana for a wrath sounds like hell in a build as suffocated for resources as this one. I don't think I need a fourth retribution of the meek.

Similarly barely in-theme is Goblin Dark-Dwellers

GDD exiles so I'm pretty leery of them. I'd run dreadhorde arcanist sooner but even on such a cheap body I'm unsure how much I'm fine with losing a wrath.

Fissure Wizard is a goblin that rummages if you want that

I think my owl friend is still better, simply because looting is better than rummaging. I understand that I could search this up with goblin matron, but searching up things other than dockside doesn't seem like a very common line of play.

Also I can cast either side of wear // tear with vadrok. I think my removal is mostly sufficient as it is.

Edited by (‽)

35 minutes ago, (‽) said:

Also I can cast either side of wear // tear with vadrok. I think my removal is mostly sufficient as it is.

reading the card explains the card whoops

35 minutes ago, (‽) said:

GDD exiles so I'm pretty leery of them.

that's when you break out the Pull from Eternity tech

Presumably you've considered Erratic Portal

More bounce effects in Vedalken Mastermind and Waterfront Bouncer (oh i just got that) if you want more of those.

Grinning Ignus is a bit expensive at three mana but it can pay for itself on the bounce.

Edited by radio414

1 hour ago, radio414 said:

Presumably you've considered Erratic Portal

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's terrible. I'm not even the biggest fan of crystal shard if not for the enormous synergy with goblin engineer.

More bounce effects in Vedalken Mastermind and Waterfront Bouncer (oh i just got that) if you want more of those.

Tap cost is rough. There is probably a reality where this deck includes anger but it doesn't appear to be the one we live in.

Also bouncing as a mechanic is named after waterfront bouncer.

Honestly bouncer might be fine here as more of a discard outlet than a combo piece, card is oppressive.

Grinning Ignus is a bit expensive at three mana but it can pay for itself on the bounce.

This is so damn close to being the best card in the deck. I feel very inclined to make this guy work, but fuck he's awkward.