Sign in to follow this  
Thar

My Top 10 Video Games of All Time (2020 update)

So I figured, since it's a new year, I might as well make some changes to my top 10 all time favorite video games. So here we go:

My All-Time Favorite Video Games (as of the new year)

Spoiler

10 - Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

We’ll start this list with something I never thought I’d love so much. Some of you might argue that Diablo 2 was better, but chances are if you’re saying that, then you’ve probably grown up playing it. Meanwhile, I haven’t, and while I’m sure that if I had played more of it and gotten further into the story, I’d appreciate it more, but for now Diablo 3 takes the cake. But if there was one thing about this one in particular that makes it stand out, it’s the top-tier cinematics. On top of the addicting gameplay, playing through the story had me enthralled in one of the most visually appealing cinematic cutscenes I’ve ever seen, which really hyped me up to keep playing through it. On top of that, having played through the story, the gameplay itself as well as the constant updates and new classes only adds to me wanting more.

9 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Is anyone surprised? Yes, of course an open-world fantasy action RPG would make it on this list somehow. However, some of you might remember my last list and notice something different about this one, and that’s the lack of another similar game. Yep… Witcher 3 is no longer in my top 10. Not to say I don’t like it, cause lord knows I do and a lot, but there’s one major reason Skyrim ranks higher to me, and that’s the fact that I keep coming back to it. After the first playthrough of Witcher 3, I felt like that was enough for me. Even after coming back to it with a better PC, playing it again just felt like a chore. Meanwhile, I boot up Skyrim and it’s just plain old nostalgic fun without even the need for a story or quest. In addition, you have a plethora of mods to make each playthrough different and unique. So chances are, even years from now, I might come back to Skyrim again, while Witcher 3 will just be something I played once and appreciate only for that one playthrough.

8 - Super Mario 64

This is about as far back as it goes, and considering where it ranks amongst all games I’ve played in my lifetime, that says a lot. Right off the bat, this game is probably what made me love 3D platformers as much as I do today. Even in 1996, they seemed to nail pretty much every standard that should be met with similar experiences. Exploring the worlds, timing jumps, discovering hidden secrets, etc. This game has it all, and it does it well both for that time and even today. I still come back to it and learn something new about it (and no, I’m not referring to that iceberg theory that’s come up recently, though that’s still pretty intriguing.) In terms of critical viewpoint, I’m willing to say there are other, better Mario games out there, but this one has a special place in my heart for many reasons, so I’ll leave it at that.

7 - Tony Hawk’s Underground 2

Another franchise that took up a good part of my childhood, and THUG 2 marked the pinnacle of that phase. Also kind of a hot take from what I’ve learned from a lot of people I know that were also fans of the Tony Hawk games, considering they prefer the first one. Me, however, I like this one more because, unlike the first one, it doesn’t take itself as seriously, resulting in a wackier, more fun experience overall. I mean c’mon; you can’t light your board on fire and grind on cannons to shoot at a building under construction, can you? Or skitch on the back of a bull while it constantly takes shits on you? Or even vandalize a graveyard to literally open a portal to Hell? I digress, though. This game is just pure fun, and also Sparrow gets the full-fledged shaft that he deserves (seriously, fuck that guy.)

6 - Rollercoaster Tycoon

Boy, I spent WAY too much time playing this back in the day. So much that I often lost track and often got in trouble. It was usually worth it, though. Who’d have thought building and managing a theme park would be so addicting? Even though I usually spent more like building the craziest coasters and… well… endangering the lives of the guests… it was still quality time well spent just going around looking at how things are running, and when you actually get around to taking it seriously and working towards the goal, achieving it is one of the most satisfying things ever. That in addition to the second game that includes an exclusive coaster and park creator only adds even more time spent of my life doing who knows what. One of the best creative outlets I’ve ever had with games, which alone ranks it this high excluding everything else.

5 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Of all the Zelda games out there, as well as the ones I’ve played, this one will always be special to me. It was my first, and I’m willing to say it will always be my favorite (if not, it’ll take quite a lot to surpass it.) I really set the bar high for myself with this being my first Zelda game. The tone that it had as well as the appealing aesthetic that showed throughout the world made it such a special experience. No joke: Even Breath of the Wild didn’t feel as special to me. That, and Midna is by far the best companion, without a doubt. There’s really not much else I can say here. This game really left its mark on me and I will never get tired of playing it again.

4 - Stardew Valley

So here is where a game ranks so high on this list just for sheer appreciation for the developer, at the very least. The fact that one person made this game is just mind-blowing to me. Sure, it took them several years, but my god must it have been worth it if this was the result. There’s literally no challenge to progressing, but somehow you just can’t help but keep playing. It’s relaxing, it’s incredibly charming, and it hits all the spots in terms of gameplay: Exploration, relationships, economy, combat, fishing, you name it. I like to think of it as a simulator of basically the perfect life in a perfect fantasy world where you’re just given property to live in without even having to pay for it, but have the option to make upgrades if you’re willing to work for it. What more can I say? This game is a masterpiece in its own rite.

3 - Hades

Well here we are, the sole reason I decided to update this list. You know a game that was made within the last couple years means a lot to me when I, of all people, put it in my top ten games OF ALL TIME, let alone in my top 3. Let me just say: This was a pretty amazing surprise. While I played a little of it on Epic while it was in early access, the momentum didn’t start building until I bought it again on Steam, and then I just got hooked. Everything - the stylized aesthetic, the smooth and responsive gameplay, the theme of Greek mythology, the incredibly deep and memorable characters… it all adds up to something that gives roguelites a whole new meaning. The combinations of builds and runs are practically endless, with all different types of weapons, buffs, challenges, secrets, etc. and no matter how many times you play, each character always has something different to say, which is just astounding considering how much I’ve played, and by the time I’ve dug myself that deep, muscle memory just makes me want to keep playing more with more difficult stipulations for more rewards, which says a lot with me. Thank you, Supergiant.

2 - Crash Bandicoot: Warped

So now that that’s out of the way, we reach the part of the list that will most likely never be surpassed. Crash Bandicoot 1 was the first game I’ve ever played and has since set the bar for what I love about video games in general. Warped in particular is my favorite for a variety of reasons. The Warp room was such a great alternative to the map from the first game, as it lets you choose your approach as well as shows you what you have yet to achieve. Also the theme is much more appealing to me. That being said, the levels themselves - the music, the boss battles, and even the motorcycle/plane segments - were the most fun I’ve had in a Crash game (and includes the N. Gin mech battle in space, one of my favorite boss battles of all time.) I don’t think it needs clarifying how much I love the Crash games, because it shows right here.

1 - Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc

Now that we’ve gotten this far, let’s just take the chance to acknowledge the fact that I put this game of all games as my favorite game of all time. Why? The real question is, why not? This game is basically everything I love, not just in video games, but just things in general. There’s some of the most fun platforming ever, along with wacky, zany characters and writing, funky/epic/relaxing music, and just all around a good and fun time for the entire playthrough. But that’s just at face value. My true love for this game comes from just how long it took me to beat it. Not straight through, mind you, but just coming back to it several times over the course of ten years or more. So we have the nostalgia of playing it as a kid, then coming back to it at an older age and getting further and further each time until I finally beat it as an adult. That development makes this game significantly special to me, on top of the fact that it’s just a goofy good time from top to bottom. Truly can’t give it justice; there’s a reason it’s still my favorite of all time for this long.