LordCowCow

Your Favorite Anime Studio

Pretty self explanatory. Was curious what people thought. And if it's because of style or just because having a lot of (or a few key) anime you really love.

For me it's between KyoAni and P.A Works, mostly due to not having watched any from either I didn't really enjoy. (I'm sure there are some but haven't watched them all)

Three studios come to mind at the top of my head:

Trigger - I just love their wacky and loosey-goosey style, it's just fun.

Madhouse - If not just for One Punch Man S1.

Ghibli - Both nostalgic and just all-around amazing quality.

My Hero Academia

Eureka 7

Soul Eater

Fullmetal Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist but Again

Motherfuckin Mob Psycho 100

Space★Dandy

The Cowboy Bebop movie

The Pokemon Gotcha! MV

Even more stuff I haven't even seen like Escaflowne, Bungou Stray Dogs, and Noragami Aragoto.

All of these were made by BONES, and I'd say it's a sufficient pedigree to make up for Eureka 7 AO.

Edited by (‽)

3 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

a few key

You hit the nail on the head with that one. ?

KyoAni primarily for the Key works. One of my all time, Clannad, in particular. Many a great SoL of another variety as well. So great that they've picked themselves back up enough to do another TV series this summer after the terrible fire. Unfortunately some of them that worked on Dragon Maid's first season have been lost, but I hope I can expect good things from other talents. 

If I could go very extremely niche here, I might also say the one of Sunrise's studios that pretty much became Bandai Namco Pictures, because if I can follow something like Aikatsu! for almost a decade (and I know it WILL be a decade+), I know I have to pay at least that much attention to such a specific studio. 

Lastly, a shoutout to SANZIGEN, for really knowing how to make 3D anime work. If anything really let me feel the fun in 2020, it was D4DJ (and VTubers). 

Edited by Nico

The one I know off the top of my head is Madhouse. They worked on stuff like Summer Wars, Ninja Scroll, the aforementioned One Punch Man, and of course one of my favorite animes, Hellsing Ultimate. They put a lot of effort into their work. This is especially amazing if what I heard about their budget was true.

Yeah, I don't know a lot of other animation studios. Maybe Gonzo. But for other animes I've seen, I can only associate them to a studio each, as I've only seen one of their works.

Echoing Madhouse sentiments, especially since they did all the Satoshi Kon-led anime.

Ghibli too, obviously.

After that, uhhhh, you kind of start getting lucky if I even recognize the animation house. I could probably rattle off a few other names but I dunno if any of those would count as "favorites"

Going for Trigger on this one. I loved Little Witch Academia, Kill la Kill and Darling in the Franxx, all of them produced by Trigger. Close second is MAPPA, as I greatly enjoyed Kakegurui, and will forever appreciate that they animated Dorohedoro. I also saw a bit of their Rage of Bahamut series but didn't finish it... yet. This reminds me I could check out more of the works from both studios.

16 minutes ago, Summer Darj said:

Going for Trigger on this one. I loved Little Witch Academia, Kill la Kill and Darling in the Franxx, all of them produced by Trigger. Close second is MAPPA, as I greatly enjoyed Kakegurui, and will forever appreciate that they animated Dorohedoro. I also saw a bit of their Rage of Bahamut series but didn't finish it... yet. This reminds me I could check out more of the works from both studios.

I feel if I watched more Trigger stuff it'd be up there too for me

lately i've come to think a lot less about studios and more about the individual staff involved, since talent in the industry are usually freelance and do not stick strictly to one studio.

that said, i think p.a. works is generally my favorite. they have a strong and consistent visual style that appeals to me, yet they are able to express the individual quirks of the different creative leads behind their shows. for example, charlotte and kamisama ni natta hi are written by maeda jun (the clannad guy) and they feel entirely different from nagi no asukara written by mari okada (has a lot of works, not sure what to list as an example) which is then still entirely different from shirobako whose main creative lead is probably the director mizushima tsutomu (girls und panzer). all 4 shows i just listed are by PA works, they're all pretty good-looking and smoothly animated, but they're vastly different from each other as creative works.

not all of them are good (the 2 jun maeda shows i listed are kinda bad imo) but i'm able to identify the bad parts as coming from the writer and not the rest of the studio's creative staff. thats why i generally like the studio itself even if not all of their shows have been a hit for me.