(o ×)

Axon [(hosted by)/Not Started/Accepting/PG-16]

there will be a logo here. Don’t worry yui, i have someone on it

So, ghosts are real.

Crazy, I know, but as it turns out, the world has quite a lot that simply lies beyond the perceptions of most people. Ghosts, djinn… All sorts of invisible spookies. Well, invisible to normal humans. There exists a subdivision of humanity, perhaps of all forms of life, that can detect these beings through a form of Extra-Sensory Perception. Appropriately, some of these refer to themselves as ESPers, though terms like Psychic, Mystic, Spiritualist, Medium, or Seer are not unheard of. Of course, to most of mankind, they are known by much less glamorous terms: fakes and magicians. With such an abysmally low number of those with such capabilities, the world has yet to discover the truly real nature of their existence. Fewer still of these people find their range of ability to go beyond “seeing dead people”. Telekinesis. Clairvoyance. The variance in what one is capable of is just as great as the variance in the nooks and crannies of one’s mind.

Premise

Really, it’s just that. Ghosts are real, uwu so scary. Your character is an esper, they have been for as long as you fucking want. This means that they have the innate ability to see spirits, and can also detect other espers (who aren’t masking their presence) just by feel. In regards to seeing other espers, as well as spirits, they are able to detect how strong the individual is in the form of a “PPL” measurement (psionic power level), interpreted as a number value. At the time of the RP starting, none of the involved characters will have ever detected another human with a PPL of greater than 10, and likely haven’t detected a spirit with PPL greater than 200 (case-by-case exceptions may be made, talk it out with me). Don’t worry about figuring out your character’s PPL, I will be assigning those.

Just keep in mind that the year is 2021, the world state is basically as it is in the real world except there is no pandemic, and your character will have just moved to the city-state of Megalopolis, because fuck coming up with realistic city names I guess. It’s the biggest city in the world, and is located… Somewhere on the European Atlantic coast. It doesn’t really matter. Whatever brings your character to Megalopolis will vary, but considering its incredible rate of expansion, job opportunities make plenty of sense.

Rules

-We are all here to have fun. Don't try to take that away from someone.
-100 words minimum for posts. That good old advanced clause that rinne made to pull us out of the caves and make us use tools to hunt.
-I am using this rule to say that any amount of ghosting punishment is waived. I understand if you can't post. People have lives, people have stress, and honestly, I even understand if you just can't find a muse to do it. I can control your character whenever need be to keep the plot moving, so just be open with us about your situation.
-Me, myself, and I reserve the right to control your character whenever need be to keep the plot moving. Mostly this will happen with your guidance, just to make larger posts flow better, but we will also write out any characters that leave the RP. Nobody is exempt from this rule. By applying to this RP, you are agreeing to this.
-Just don't be a dick. It was already rule 1, but it's important. This rule is for you Hyde.
-Yeah, you. Don't be a dick Don’t say dumb shit in my discord I will unironically kick you.
-I am feeling nostalgic, so to prove you read this, use your planned text color somewhere in your app, beyond just having it specified in misc.

Character Application

Name:
Appearance: Pictures are fine. Provide a height, at least.
Personality: The most important field. Tell us about them, tell us who they are. Tell us why they act the way they act, and how they act for that matter.
Biography: yeah. I know I have spoken out against this. It's required anyway, I changed my mind.
ESPer Ability: The limits for what these can be begin and end with your imagination. If you are unsure if something would be setting-breaking, talk it out with me. This section will also have your PPL once it’s assigned.

As a general rule, you can feel free to deviate from this app format literally however, this is just a setup I have seen have a lot of success. If you want anything kept hidden from other players, just let me know. I love that shit, so I will gladly work with you.

Optional Picture

optional quote

Small infodump on psychic powers

Psychic powers can basically be split into two fields. Psi-κ can be considered to be "output" ie various -kinesis abilities, and really anything else that affects the material plane. Psi-γ equates to "input" meaning it covers abilities such as precognition, psychometry, the mind reading aspect of telepathy (mind control/pushing thoughts into others' minds would be kappa), and remote cognition. The ability to see ghosts falls under psi-γ but it's going to be given to all players for free so don't worry about that.

Any other important information

4uhrki.jpg 

Edited by (‽)

...why do you do this to me when I get...ughhhhhh!!!

Interest is noted...may get a character up, who knows.

Gonna to Psych You Out in the End

Spoiler

"John Spencer, ESPer Detective. At your service."

Personal Information
Name: John Spencer
Birthday: Oct. 21st
Appearance:

Spoiler

2d7d8969ad1ffc77bd61d8dc3e8c2b2f.jpg

Height: 5'9"

Personality:

Spoiler

John is a young man with a lot to prove, both to himself and to the world. He's someone who wants to prove that not everyone in the world is willing to take the psychic and paranormal aspect of life and make it a complete facade out of it and exploit it for money. Due to him seeing the nature of it first hand with his parents, John refuses to let that be something that will stand while he's around. However, due to his upbringing before living under his grandfather's wing, he still feels guilt for what was done and that guilt still weighs heavily on his mind.

Despite the stoic nature and rigid detective persona he gives off, he's actually quite a nice individual once you get to know him. He'll make a few jokes, cut up, have a drink with an individual...he's generally a kind-hearted individual and will definitely defend you if the chips were down.

When using his abilities, he tends to do a few things that are quite odd to note. For starters, when using his vision, there are sometimes when he can where he'll sit in a chair and cross his legs before bringing his hands up and slightly interlocking his fingers together. There's no rhyme or reason to this method or madness...he just thinks it makes him look more professional in his work.

Biography:

Spoiler

"I'd prefer not to talk much about my past...it's classified for me."

The story starts before he became as well renowned as he is presently...even back with a different name. You see, he wasn't always John Spencer. His original birth name: Owen Douglas.

Young Owen lived in the city of Salem, Massachusetts and to a family that were a set of psychics...or so people thought. In truth, they were simply fakes, frauds and just there to make a quick buck swindling people out of their money. As time passed, Owen learned this and was truly disgusted and disappointed by his parents way of life. Why fake something you didn't have just to make a buck? Well...funny how the world works.

On one day, Owen discovered his general ability as an ESPer...a REAL psychic. And he figured he'd show his parents how things truly worked. In the middle of one of their attempts to swindle people, Owen actually displayed his newfound psychic abilities and showed his parents up. A big mistake for him, unfortunately, as his parents began to hate and loathe him. They proceeded to make his life a living hell and even went so far as to disown him. Heartbroken and even discouraged by this predicament, Owen went to live with his grandfather and vowed not to use his ESPer abilities.

His grandfather, however, encouraged him to actually use them. Showing off his small bits of psychic powers to the young child, he began to train his grandson to use his abilities and to become a true psychic. But this was only the beginning. Owen took a liking to the law enforcement aspect of things and even went so far as to work to become a detective...a psychic detective. But he wanted to remove himself further from his fake family...the one who disowned him. He took his grandfather's middle name and used it as his surname and took a random chance with a first name: John. Once he got himself renamed and got his powers honed enough, the story of John Spencer, ESPer Detective finally began.

And his newest venture? Where else...Megalopolis on the European Atlantic coast. He'd make himself a living and name here as an ESPer Detective.

ESPer Information
PPL: 110
ESPer Ability:

Spoiler

Psychic Energy Manipulation
The ability that allows John to manipulate the psychic energy and mold it to fit any situation. For his style, however, he simply uses it to lace the psychic energy along his arms and legs in order for him to deal more damage in a fight. He tends to utilize this ability in conjunction with his fighting style of Baritsu.

Divin-Vision
John's ability to take something he's seen before and is able to somehow track it. But perhaps "tracking" isn't the best word to use. A better way to quantify this ability of John's is simply a clairvoyance-esque vision of where the thing is via either a bird's eye view of the object or a first-person view. A skill and ability befitting for a psychic detective.

Miscellaneous Information
John‘s Theme | Battle Theme

• John's name means the following: John - a name originating from Hebrew meaning "Yahweh (God) has been gracious", Spencer - a name of British origins that means "steward" or "administrator".
  • The name given to John is derived from two separate characters dealing with psychic detective or supernatural detectives: John Constantine (DC Comics) and Shawn Spencer (Psych).
  • The fighting style used is Baritsu, a Martial Art style made popular by Sherlock Holmes.
  • The "Second Sight" (or rather Third Sight) ability he posses is named this due to it being a combination of Dowsing (or Divination) and general clairvoyance vision. Other names for this ability would've ended up becoming similar to a naming scheme like "Eagle Vision/Sense" from Assassin's Creed.
  • His favorite drink(s) happen to be Gin & Tonic and Moscow Mule.
  • The fact that the name used is John, he's a detective and the parallels made between Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson was purely coincidental.
  • This is the first character in a long time that has the aspect of being a detective that I've made. Unlike my first detective character, I feel this one may be better than my previous attempt at this genre of character.
Edited by Chaos Sonic

The Wicked Witch of the East

Spoiler

alice.jpg

Name: Alice Solari
Birthday: June 9th

Appearance:

Spoiler

YWDfNSZ.jpg

Height: 5'5"

Personality:

Spoiler

Alice is someone who just can't sit still. Restless and impatient, she's always looking for the next exciting twist life has in store for her. Be it new experiences, unexpected events, or cute girls, she lives for the sake of adventure and excitement. Although certainly an affable sort who loves to hang out with people, Alice has a tendency to look down on people or otherwise place herself on a pedestal above everyone else. Combined with her ESPer powers making her seem like a bad luck charm, her absolutely being willing to abuse those powers for her own purposes - or any other resource she gets her hands on for that matter - and her general lack of social graces, Alice generally has trouble making friends. She won't likely fess up to the fact, but this is a really sore spot for her, since she wants to be well-liked by others but often blows it due to her smug and dubious nature.

Biography:

Spoiler

Nothing in life is free. The best things in life are free. These two statements completely contradict each other, yet combined, perfectly describe Alice's life.

From a domestic standpoint, Alice had it made right out the gate. With a loaded mother and a stay-at-home father, Alice rarely wanted for anything very long. She loved her family, and they her, but she often had trouble getting along with other kids her age, being generally unpopular in school because of family matters she didn't understand. During elementary school, Alice developed esper powers, and soon realized she was the only kid in school who had special superpowers. Not only that, but she had pretty much won the superpower lottery! But in exchange, the subconscious parts of her power and the tropical climate of her native Miami meant Alice had to live with chronic rain and frequent storms. Still, despite the pouring rain at all hours, tropical storms frequently battering the Solari family home, and the occasional out-of-season hurricane if Alice was especially distressed about something, things were nice in her little bubble.

Her happy, mostly-quiet life was its own price. Alice was never the type that could just sit still. Staying cooped up at home all the time simply didn't suit her! As she grew older, Alice began spending more and more time out of the house, going wherever her whims took her. She wanted a life of fresh, new things! Of novel experiences and stories to remember! Of cute girls! Sadly, try as she might, Alice could only find one of those things in Miami, and cute girls existed everywhere anyway. And so, once she was old enough, Alice packed her things and departed her home at last, leaving Miami behind and taking her foul weather with her.

Be it other states, other countries, or even entirely different continents, Alice still wasn't content to stay put, yet a year of travel was starting to wear on her. And so, she turned her eyes toward Megalopolis. The world's biggest city. If there was one place that could hold her down for at least a little while, surely this would be it! Once more, Alice packed her bags and bought a boat ticket to a new home, getting a house on the outskirts of town.

Due to inclement weather on the day of her arrival, however, a significant chunk of Alice's belongings were lost to the sea.

ESPer Ability - Depressurize:

Spoiler

Alice's psychic abilities subconsciously disperse atmospheric pressure, the result of which is that low-pressure zones will form naturally wherever she happens to be, with the point of lowest pressure being directly above Alice herself. When applied with active effort, she's able to drastically drop this pressure even further, allowing her to create highly localized but dangerously potent storms. It can work on other forms of pressure too when being used on a conscious level.

Psionic Power Level: 250

Misc.

Spoiler
  • Alice's favorite color is teal.
  • In order to keep her look stylish and fresh while having to live with the drawbacks of Depressurize, Alice owns a veritable wardrobe of rain gear in different colors, styles, and materials, for any number of occasions.
  • Has never been inside an airplane, and has no plans on doing so.
  • Gacha addict.
  • Although generally inept at any sort of household work, Alice is deceptively skilled at grilling food.

Prepare for Trouble, and Make it Double

Spoiler

mei.png

"A woman's gotta do what she's gotta do."

Name: Mei Hironaka
Birthday: August 9th

Appearance:

Spoiler

original_drawn_by_unimon_e__0660452d0cfc

Height: 5'3"

Personality:

Spoiler

By all accounts, Mei does not fit the bill for someone in her line of work. She isn't loud or imposing, and has trouble communicating with others on the best of days. Being introverted, anxiously insecure, and detached from the world around her makes it incredibly difficult for her to build any sort of friendship, and it's rare for her to come across someone that makes her think they're worth that sort of effort. The best most people can hope to be to Mei is business acquaintances, maybe with a mutual interest. This difficulty in making friends is made no easier by her reluctance to talk about herself, simply because she doesn't think she's interesting in any way. The only points of interest about her - her hitman career and her ESPer powers - aren't topics for everyday conversation, and certainly aren't things she can discuss with just anyone.

Biography:

Spoiler

While the yakuza life wasn't what Mei had dreamed of at first, delving into it is a decision she would never take back if she had the chance.

Growing up, she didn't really have much of anything. Not a lot of money, living in a poor family. Not a lot of friends, being a massive introvert. Even her feats or blunders of note are nowhere to be found. Hers would be a life of obscurity where she grows up, gets into a boring office job forever, and dies with nobody remembering her. All if not for the only thing that stood out about her. Not just anyone was an ESPer, after all.

This was a gift the local yakuza took note of. Psychic powers were a powerful asset to have, and naturally, they wanted to see just what Mei's could do. And once they found out what she could do, they wanted her among their ranks. At first, she simply told them she'd consider. A few weeks later, an earthquake devastated her area, in the process taking what little she had. No friends or family, precious few worldly possessions, not even a school to continue attending or a part-time job to consider signing up for. Just her, a few other scattered survivors, and the yakuza, hurrying to aid in the relief effort. When they found Mei among the survivors, they re-issued their offer a few days later. With nothing in the way of an old life anymore, Mei accepted. At first, they just gave her simple tasks; idle busywork to keep her mind off things while she processed what had just happened to her life, and help move things along to aid others while doing so. As the shock wore off and the relief efforts were no longer needed, the time came to figure out what to do with Mei after the family relocated.

While they were working with her to hone her powers, somebody made an interesting observation. Something obvious, but not really something one would consider unless it was pointed out. Mei's clones didn't leave fingerprints, and normal people couldn't see them. Most everyone came to the same conclusion from there. She would be perfect for making people disappear forever. For twelve years, Mei has helped her new family by doing exactly that. If someone "had a tragic accident" or "chose to kill themself," she was responsible. With no fingerprints left behind and the ability to kill someone without ever entering the crime scene, it was impossible to pin anything on her. The ability to just delete people free of consequences - as long as they didn't abuse such power - was invaluable. It wasn't pretty work, and certainly not something she took satisfaction in doing, but Mei was happy to help. She also cleaned up spirits for the family, and even had a legit exorcist gig on the side to secure a little extra funding for herself between contracts. Up until about a year ago, everything was smooth sailing. What changed?

Well, at that time, the family had been attacked. The memories are a bit hazy in her mind due to injuries sustained during the incident, but someone had stormed into the building and started attacking every ESPer in the family. Mei was, ashamedly, the first one in the line of fire. She was knocked clean out, and by the time she woke up, so were all the other ESPers in the family, being tended to by the non-ESPers or dead. Except for one. The boss was missing. Reportedly, he'd been kidnapped. This culprit, more than ever, was someone who needed to disappear for good. Naturally, Mei was on the case. Her investigation hit a dead end somewhere in Europe, and so she brushed up on her English - languages fortunately being a subject of interest to her - and got a plane ticket to Megalopolis. If the culprit wasn't here, surely someone who knew of them would be. That's what she hopes, anyway.

ESPer Ability - Double:

Spoiler

Mei has the ability to clone herself! Kind of. The explanation she goes with is one handed out by one of her brothers, being "momentary additive astral projection." In essence, for a very brief moment - no more than a second or two - Mei can create a spirit copy of herself. The copy is only visible to the naked eye of those who can see spirits, but is fully capable of interacting with the physical world. Where it appears (within two meters of herself) and what it does are entirely under her control, and she's able to pick up sensory info from the copy as well. While the ability can be used in rapid succession, Mei's PPL isn't high enough for every copy to be as powerful as the first, and they'll quickly start falling off in power after the third one summoned in a row.

PPL: 122

Misc:

Spoiler
  • In her twelve years with the yakuza, Mei has killed precisely seventeen people. She's kept the articles on the six that were reported in newspapers, and wrote down the names, dates, murder methods, and reasons of the other eleven in a coded journal.
  • The most notable event in Mei's childhood (aside from the tragic earthquake) was being casted as the main character in a play back in primary school. She got stage fright and threw up in the first act.
  • Enjoys j-rap and 80s/90s j-pop.
  • Took up cooking to help the family and to learn to better control her nerves (hard to chop veggies properly with shaking hands, and the simple instructions give her something easy to focus on) early in her new life. As an unexpected side-benefit, Mei is an incredibly skilled chef and baker, to the point that nobody else in the family wanted to eat out anymore by the time she had to leave for Megalopolis.

Edited by yui

Spoiler

Name: Jin Nova
Birthday: July 18th

Appearance

Spoiler

BP0N609.png

Jin stands at 5'3". She wears an armored dress and cape inscribed with various important phrases, as well as a thermus she carries on her hip. She has mid-length brown hair and amber eyes. The only thing uncovered tends to be her face, armor and clothing keeping every other part of her body covered. She takes it off while taking it easy in her own home, but when she's out she tends to be wearing her gear.

Personality

Spoiler

Jin seems to act almost similar to a hard-boiled detective. She's not afraid to be a bit hard-headed in order to make sure everyone is keeping themselves safe. She prefers to be a bit more soft-spoken, not liking confrontation until she notices someone might be going too far. She tends to defer to superiors, as she knows they're just trying to do their jobs and protect those under their care. She's at her element during more covert shenanigans, utilizing her abilities in order to keep things in check.

Biography

Spoiler

Jin doesn't enjoy talking about her past too much. She was discharged from military operations at a young age, even though she had shown promise. All she's usually said about those events is that it opened her eyes.

Jin's younger life she seems to look on fondly, remembering things like her mother's baked goods and her father's days he'd spend weaseling out of work to enjoy time with her. She wanted to make sure that people like her parents were protected and wouldn't have to fight or sacrifice things for others. They disagreed with her of course, she was their child! But she knew they couldn't be more proud of her. Even after her military excursions they readily accepted her back and she found herself living with them for a while again.

After about 2 years after her return from active duty, she found that she had an ability that was rather... interesting, and decided maybe she could utilize it to get back into more good graces. Her parents wound up convincing her to go to Megalopolis, a city that was rumored to have many unnatural things floating around it.

With the assurance of her parents, Jin found herself travelling to the mega-city, maps in hand. Once she was finally there she kept an eye out for anyone who seemed to fit the definition of an... oddity.

ESPer Ability

Spoiler

Jin found her ESPer ability to be rather... curious. She found she was able to utilize containers as extra-dimensional storage, so long as the item to be stored fit inside of the entrance to the container. Extra functionality TBD. PPL: 162

Edited by PhoenixOfCute

Living in a Bubble (WIP)

Spoiler

_--bijmXCvDSdYtAkTiTCZcPahb0lfGaCCWVqwA1

Name: Lulu 
Birthday: April 5th

Appearance:

Spoiler

e201Z3ZTYTDY7fRS_Urszp5NIhUuTiUEpdqftpqq

Height: 5' 8"

Personality

Spoiler

An introvert by nature, Lulu is actually quite sociable… at least in her own way. While not necessarily outgoing, her social life on virtual platforms is second to none while her gaming prowess is rarely absent in her routine. In person, when she isn’t on her phone, she sees the world as one big MMORPG. When talking to others, in her head she sees a dialogue box hovering over whoever she is talking to. Other examples include health and mana bars, character levels, etc. While she is usually pretty good at cloaking this quirk of hers to be more socially acceptable, occasionally she’ll let something slip that reveals something… off. Regardless of this, this usually does not stop people from seeing her as a delightful presence whenever she is a part of a group.

Biography:

Spoiler

WIP

ESPer Ability - Bubble

Spoiler

Lulu possesses the ability to harden the psychic energy around any beings or objects that she can see in the form of a hollow, transparent spherical shell - which she calls a “bubble.” The strength of this ability depends on the size of the bubble or the number of bubbles she has up at once. Once a bubble is formed, she gains telekinetic powers over whatever is inside, being able to move it in any direction at speeds varying based on diameter and weight. People or creatures within the bubble are able to breathe as normal and can move freely within the bubble’s space as if floating. Lulu can also adjust the size of the bubble at will but the being or object inside cannot be physically compressed and air pressure within the bubble remains as normal as it is outside of it.

Edited by Thar

I'm sending you to the Shadow Realm!

Spoiler

Name: Penny Hill
Birthday: December 21st
Appearance: 

Spoiler

sample_b29364dbd2877e0124a2b992a82c6ff43

Height: 4'11"

Personality: 

Spoiler

Penny Hill is as bubbly and bright as she is tall.  That being the case, she's an incredibly hard person to be around, given that she mumbles under her breath all of the time.  She hates the daylight, and prefers to sleep in until the afternoon most days.  Her movement is sluggish, as if she's in a constant state of tired boredom, and her voice is rather low for a girl of her stature and age.  When she's not sleeping, you could find her in some alleyway trying to con some suckers out of their hard earned money.  Penny thinks jobs that regular people have are for those in this world that can't get ahead on their own wit, rather playing into someone else's hands at all times.  Penny hates authority, and prefers to live life her own way.  She doesn't try to bother anyone outright, but a girl's gotta make a living in Megalopolis somehow.  

Biography: 

Spoiler

Nothing was really special about Penny's upbringing.  She was born to a small family as the youngest child, out in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee.  Her community was small, and it was boring, so Penny went about life as normally as any other kid in her town.  However, there was something that Penny started to notice  around the age of 8.  No matter what time of day it was, even during the nighttime, she could clearly see her shadow.  Even in the pitch black of night, in the corner of her eye it was always there.  When she was alone, with nothing to do, Penny would read stories out loud, sitting side by side with it.  From just looking at her shadow, she could fell strong emotions of hatred towards the life she was starting to lead...as if it was telling her she needed a drastic change or else she'd be bored for the rest of her life.

Her hustling started out small, on the playground she'd play the cup game with all of the other kids.  Place a pebble under the cups, shuffle them around, and if you guess where it is you win a prize!  You had to pay a Nickle first, though.  Somehow, her shadow always did what she told it to do in her head, grabbing at the rock while she was shuffling them to take it right out from under there noses, along with their chances of winning that prize she came up with.  From then on, her life started to shift towards the paranormal...if she stared at someone's shadow hard enough, for long enough, she could see their worst fears...their worst thoughts...their darker side that they hid from the light.  People were so fake like that...but their shadow's told the whole story.  She found that the most interesting.  With better control over the shadows, she began to see ghosts, something she only thought were in books and fairy tales.  Around her town, they looked harmless enough, so she let them be.  They were kinda cute, but if they would cause a ruckus, maybe she could earn a quick buck or two.  

Once she turned 20, Penny was caught cheating at blackjack by someone with a similar ability to her.  Once they had an inkling of her prowess, they raised the whole town, who had all at some point or another been swindled by the small girl, against her.  Her family turned their backs on her, wishing that she had stayed normal, while her siblings looked shamefully at her.  For once, the emotions of them and their shadows lined up perfectly.  With a heavy heart, Penny moved to the new city of Megalopolis to start a new life...with some bad habits following her along the way.  

ESPer Ability: 

Spoiler

Shadow Manipulation: Penny's shadow is vantablack in color, and is visible at all times even in the darkness.  It is also able to physically touch ghosts.  Penny is able to manipulate her shadow at will, raising it off of the ground and changing it's shape into whatever Penny desires.  The shadow's reach is ten meters in length, but it can be extended if it, or Penny, is in contact with another shadow.  The range it gains varies from the shadow that either is in contact with.  The more Penny's shadow reaches or transforms, the more the one either is touching will diminish.  Penny's Shadow is also extremely durable, and can only be destroyed by intense focuses of light.  It's strength is about the same as Penny's physical strength.  However, the darker it is, the stronger her shadow will become.  The shadows that either of the two touch can also be manipulated in the same way that she can manipulate her own.  Penny receives any damage inflicted to her own shadow, and will die if it is destroyed in it's entirety.  

Shadow Telepathy: Penny can read the darkest thoughts of a person if she is in contact with that person's shadow.  She can also do this if she stares at the shadow for ten minutes, but her reading becomes more vague.

Shadow Hijacking: If Penny is touching the shadow of a weak willed person, or ghost, she can influence their thoughts and decisions to varying degrees depending on the state of the victim's will.

PPL: 170

xUjPJDJ.png

"Ugh"

Edited by Mr. Hyde

unknown.png

"I see, I see... What else can I learn from this?"

Name
April Soleil

Birthday
September 15

Appearance
c2afa13bc762272f9a79973b19a2f07e.png
5'8"

Personality
Curious beyond words and with a passion for finding the truth of any matter, April charges forward without a care about what's happening around her. All that matters is what interests her, be it current events, science, or even the happenings going on between those around her, and she isn't afraid to do what it takes to advance her learning. She has a tendency not to eat until collapsing from malnutrition.

Biography
From a young age, April was the type to always find trouble. Of course, it was due to trying to learn and find the truth about things, but she often ended up in scrapes for it. On the bright side, it led to her realizing she had the ability to heal herself! But what were those abilities that she used? Were there others like that? She just had to know more!

As she became able to see, and even dispel some, spirits, she only grew more curious... But her parents worried about her. What was wrong with her? Why did she act like she could see things that weren't there? And what if her strange behavior got her involved in something bad? They took her to therapy in an attempt to help her, but nothing changed her. They may not believe her, but she'd show them! She'd investigate and find out the truth!

First taking interest in the school paper, and later a career in journalism, April charged through life, enjoying every bit of it and clawing for any answers she could get. Of course, this would eventually lead her to Megalopolis, where her story took a new turn...

ESPer Ability - Mitotic
By using her abilities to manipulate cell division with Psi-κ, April has the ability to heal other organic beings.

PPL 110

Other
Theme

Speak No Evil

Spoiler

Name: Hari Ohm 

Birthday: April 4th

Appearance:

Spoiler

90ABwYK.jpg

Height: 2'5"

Eyes are a striking bright yellow in color.

Personality:

Spoiler

Hari is a man fixated on courtesy. He makes an effort to be as polite as possible with never every person he can. This lessens with close friends or people who annoy him but never truly fades. But it is not purel cold courtesy; Hari is also warm and kind. Ever thoughtful, he will remember details of conversations and follow up on them later. Remembering important dates like birthdays or anniversaries comes easily to him and he always makes sure to put forward some unprompted gesture. Even for strangers he'll be considerate and pass on what goodness he can.

Unfortunately, this kindness does not often enable Hari to stand tall against opposition. In fact he shrinks at signs of personal criticism, quickly receding to agreeance to reach a peaceful conclusion as quickly as possible. This doesn't get along well with his somewhat neurotic tendencies. Hari carries himself like he's afraid of impending judgements on the part of friends and strangers alike. It can be easy for him to think he's offended someone where none was taking and for most interactions takes several reassurances that people actually want or feel the things they do. He is nearly always fidgeting with his hands, the rate of which is a decent measure of his anxiety.

While bad at standing up for himself, Hari will stand tall when others are being belittled or mocked. Though never much of a physically imposing presence, he'll keep his spine even under personal attack if on the behalf of someone else. In general he can really do a lot one wouldn't expect when not focused on himself. He can easily become wrapped up in plans or goals and run himself ragged without realizing.

Biography:

Spoiler

Hari was a human actually to start. He was born to an Indian mother and a German father who moved about Europe in his early childhood before settling into the United Kingdom by the time the boy was seven. Once finally stable, Hari did what any other boy his age would do. He went to school and made friends. A best friend even and they were definitely going to be best friends forever. But when it came to Hari and Peter that's exactly what happened. The friendship would last well into highschool and even beyond.

Of course the two young boys had something in common that helped cement their bond. Both of them weren't exactly normal. Hari's parents had yet to really to believe him but at age ten he already had a grasp of his power, Swap. He could only mark two objects at a time but he could make the two switch places on demand. He swore his fingers glowed but his parents couldn't see. Most of the kids at school didn't believe him either but not Peter. Peter not only saw the glow but believed his power was real. From trying to talk about it with his parents, Hari had long become scared to show anyone his ability but eventually while at Peter's house the two friends shared. Peter had a strange ability too. He could lift objects with his mind though never very far. Still, it was the coolest thing to the two.

The powers came with some other interesting talking points. Both boys could see ghosts that no one else could see. And just talking about that had already gotten some very concerned looks from both of their parents and any other adult they cared to bring it up to. So they learned to try and ignore the things. And for the most part they were never bothered. In middle school the two boys found out they also possessed telepathy and could communicate to each other wordlessly. This led to a host of trouble making and laughs between the two.

Despite all the oddities, things continued fairly normally through the rest of high school. The two friends ultimately settled on colleges on opposite sides of the country but promised to stay in touch. And they did until Hari's senior year at university. Peter just stopped replying. Hari would try contacting him every now and then but was always met with nothing. It was a downer but it wasn't like he hadn't formed a life of his own.

After graduating, Hari found a job and some years down the line a girlfriend named Brooke. The two were together happily for a couple years before Brooke became pregnant. The two welcomed a baby boy into the world and while it was tough adapting, the two carried on. Marriage didn't seem to be a top priority but they were committed to each other and their son. Hari was content that this was to be his life and wasn't looking for any sudden changes. But they came knocking at his door in the form of a text.

Years of silence but Peter had finally texted some several months before the present day. But there was no context or greeting, just a statement that they needed to meet. Hari tried to press for details but anything he said was dismissed as Peter just wanted to see him. Concerned, Hari left his partner and child at home that Saturday evening. Hari rushed downtown and sure enough, there was Peter standing where he said he'd be.

The two walked and Hari attempted to talk but a lot seemed off about Peter. His hair and fashion sense had taken some sharp turns from years ago but maybe that was to be expected. But he didn't even talk like himself. And he seemed oddly focused as they walked. Ultimately the two ended up at the city zoo as Peter seemed to want to talk in a somewhat quiet place but with other people around. Hari couldn't get any of his concerns answered and the stress was mounting. Ultimately he grabbed his friend's arm asking what was wrong.

Peter returned the grip, grasping both of Hari's shoulders before everything went insane. Hari could see himself leaving his body. As he looked around, everyone nearby and even the animals had been pushed out of their bodies into spirit like forms, eliciting a lot of panic. But the man in front of him wasn't Peter. He looked nothing like his friend and now sounded nothing like him. The man spoke of a need for more power and that this was a step closer to the right vessel before he could go to Megalopolis. Strange energy flowed from every spirit in the area into the man as Hari was tossed aside. Everything went white as Hari lost consciousness.

Eventually he shot awake to see the aftermath of the incident. Several people were sitting, covered in shock blankets. Paramedics and police were all over. But everyone was a lot farther away than they ought to be. Hari caught sight of Peter, who was on the ground. He heard police talking. One had been on the ground and now stood and spoke to the poor sucker being dead. Hari shouted for Peter but heard only an animalistic noise. Looking down he saw the monkey's body he now occupied. A thought lingered in his head, a voice not his own and yet not likely intended for his ears. The strange man's voice speaking to how his body will serve him well. Hari turned around and caught sight of himself, his own body leaving the premises escaping police notice. Hari screamed again, powerless to stop anything that had happened.

There was a lot more screaming and panicking and a strong sense of wanting to give up. The other monkeys seemed rightly terrified of him but he knew he had to get out of here. That man had either killed or else trapped Peter in some other body and he couldn't just let his own life get stolen from him like this. Using his power he was able to mark himself and a stone before throwing the stone out of the enclosure and swapping. That his power still worked was comforting and would prove his only way out.

Hari spent a week on the streets but the trail of where he had gone was long cold. Megalopolis was the only clue he had. Hungry, tired and ever being chased due to the microchip in the monkey body he now piloted, Hari ultimately ended up back at his home. He managed to climb into a window he always left unlocked before attempting telepathic communication with his girlfriend.

While not an ESPer herself, Brooke knew about Hari's abilities and he had spoken directly to her mind often enough in the past. But to hear it now with an animal in the room after a week of his being missing… well it didn't go well. There was a lot of screaming and crying and questioning her sanity but with enough talking, Hari was able to convince her it was him and attempted to explain what had happened.

The process was long and rough. It took some weeks to fully process and accept, and even longer for Brooke to let Hari spend any lengthy period of time in the house, let alone at her side. But eventually the family was reunited into a functional harmony. Hari was still able to care for his son while Brooke worked and attempted to search the city at night. But there was no trace of himself. The two knew they would have to go to Megalopolis.

And so the young family came to the largest city in the world not but a week ago made possible by a new job. Hari has been moving about the city as much as possible, looking for any sign of where his body was being moved or taken. A life to reclaim and answers to what the man had done to his friend drive him to move closer to even the ghosts and things he had tried to ignore about the world.

ESPer Ability: Swap

Spoiler

Visible only to other ESPers, on the pad of each finger of Hari's left hand softly glows a symbol. On the thumb a large circle and on the fingers small diamonds in number one to four from index to pinky. When focusing on them, whatever each finger touches leaves a mark (max one at a time per finger).

When two or more things or people are marked, if the thumb touches the fingers corresponding to the two marks they will switch places instantaneously and maintain any momentum they had. After swapping the marks fade, requiring reapplication to swap again.

While marked, Hari can see the object or person with near perfect clarity in his mind even if he loses track of where they might be but won't be privy to their surroundings. Telepathy range with any marked individuals is increased. Ghosts can be marked but not swapped with anything but another ghost. Objects swapped can interact with ghosts for up to a minute after swapping.

Marks last about an hour at most if not released sooner. Swaps wont be possible if at least one of the marks involved isn't within a hundred feet of Hari. Rapid-fire swapping tends to result in migraines.

PPL: 205

Edited by Doggo

The Games Begin

Spoiler

“Hey hey, wanna play a game? Wanna make a wager? Who needs to worry about the odds?”

vivian.png

Name

Vivian Collins

Birthday

November 12th

Female 

Appearance

Spoiler

“Eh? Why am I so short? I may have gambled away some of my height, I thought it was a sure thing!”

vivian.jpg

Standing at an amazing 5’0 even, Vivian isn’t exactly a tall girl.

She wears a variety of outfits as does any normal person, ranging from showy, boisterous outfits that gets attention on her, to more subdued clothing that helps her blend in when she wants to pull of some gambles that might need a bit more subtlety.

Personality

Spoiler

“You wanna know more about me? Ahahaha! We’ll see how long that lasts!”

Vivian is the definition of self-serving. Her focus is entirely on what makes her, well… Succeed. Whatever that may entail. That doesn’t mean she can’t get along with people though, she’s very capable of socializing with others and forming decently close relationships, but she has a tendency to be more concerned with what she can get from people instead of anything else. At least... That's what she likes to tout herself as.

Of course, she knows that good deeds don’t count for absolutely nothing. Someone might be appreciative and help you out later, so… If someone wants to make a bet that gives them something without taking too much away from her? She might be willing to occasionally put her own desires aside… If there’s that potential for it to come back in her favor in the future.

But of course, for any of this to matter, she has to have a personality that gets people to listen to her in the first place. Maybe she comes across as a bit snake-oily to people who are listening to her fully, but what does that matter if she gets the attention she needs anyway? All it takes are a few people interested in what she has to say, or one person to work with her.

Nothing in life comes for free, even if you're gambling, is a big part of how she lives. Anytime she wins is great, but she can always lose if she doesn't play her cards right, and she knows this well. So... Having people in her corner, even if she would rather just reap all the rewards herself, is something she values. You can't always get through everything alone, even if you play all the odds perfectly, sometimes things just don't go your way.

Biography

Spoiler

“You know, I used to be a King of England? I made my way through the ages just passing through bodies like it was nothing! It was way easier back in the day, people were in situations where they would trade their identity for a few bucks. Never told ‘em what I was leaving them with, obviously.”

Vivian never gives a clear story about her background. There are a few… Constants, in her story however. She mentions that she stayed in a small, rather isolated country town for a long time, living there and making due with her small time gambles. It always works up the same way, she gets more and more… Adventurous with the gambles she makes, giving her something new to play around with.

Sometimes she mentions taking over an entire gang.

Sometimes it’s just her stealing a new identity and running off with it.

And the whole time, she cracks jokes about where she might be from, where she’s going, who she even is!

It's only when she gets to the present that she seems to tell anything remotely believable. She heard that the new city state whatever that was building up in popularity? It had nightlife you wouldn’t believe, people willing to risk it all for a quick hit of dopamine. She could find a new mark every night, find someone who hasn't heard of whatever scam she's running at the time. It’s the perfect place for someone like her, someone who just wants to gamble her life away.

Sure, she could find a job there, maybe she would if she got bored, but she could spend night after night, gambling away. If she ever got into a sticky situation, well… It’s not like she’s never hopped bodies before, riiight? This city has to be good for some fun, for something to give her a new sense of adventure.

There’s another constant. She never says why she leaves any of the places she mentions.

ESPer Ability

Spoiler

Gambling Pro

With enough time and planning, anything can be a gambling scene! And with that, comes her power, when she’s involved in a bet, anything can be wagered. Even if it would go against the laws of nature, it’s theoretically possible for her to collect any debt she wants.

A physical contract isn’t required, a verbal contract works just fine for her. She also can’t force someone into a bet. If they aren’t willing to agree to the terms, then the bet doesn’t get established, though with sly words this can potentially be worked around.

Debts also don’t have to be collected immediately. If she wants, she can entirely forgive the debt and pass over the potential reward.

PPL 340

Other

Her Theme

More to be Added as I think of things, I'm still working on this.

Edited by Kazooie

Them Bones.

Spoiler

Name: Enrique Cabrera
Birthday: September 9th
Appearance

Spoiler

EKPoSBE.png

6 feet 1 inch. Tall boi.

Personality

Spoiler

One would think, judging solely by the dour expression he usually wears, that Enrique is a quiet, perhaps sullen young man. Though you'd be right about his general unpleasantness, you'd quickly find out that he's actually rather foul mouthed and confrontational. He has little patience for people (especially authority figures), be they incompetent, selfish, or simply rude, and he's not afraid to let someone know it, either. This isn't to say that he's a bad person, he's just not nice, usually. Of course, you'd be something of a sourpuss too if you were always feeling the emotions of everyone around you. It gets tiring after awhile. And you also would have run out of patience for people too when you're able to see all the bad stuff they've been up to recently. Being an ESPer takes a lot out of a guy.

Enrique prefers the company of animals to people; they're always honest. He has few friends, most of whom he's known since he was young and are used to his personality. That said, there is some warmth to him- which he usually reserves for his family and pets, and he tends to show it physically. Hugs, fist bumps, pasts on the back, whatever. If you're tight with him, you'll know it, and you probably had to work pretty hard to earn it. His madre raised him right: he has a strong sense of right and wrong, and he's incredibly loyal to those who've earned his trust. As well, in part thanks in part to his powers, he's also an excellent judge of character. People who do right by others will find rather quickly that the curses (from both languages) stop being thrown in their particular direction, and that he's always willing to lend you a hand if you need it. With pretty much anything, even if its illegal.

Biography

Spoiler

Though he grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood near Los Angeles, California, Enrique (or Ricky, as some friends are inclined to call him) had a pretty normal childhood. At least insofar as an ESPer can have a normal childhood. It helped that Mama was also an ESPer, and shared the same empathic abilities he had. Papa was a veterinarian, and he grew up with four cats, three birds, and two (and then five after the puppies came) dogs. As well as four siblings: two older sisters and two younger brothers. Familia' was always numero uno, and this helped to mostly keep Enrique out of trouble with gangs and other delinquents, though he's been in more than his fair share of fights and even has a scar from a stray bullet.

When he hit puberty, the rest of his ESPer powers manifested. Post-cognition proved to be too tempting not to use for an adolescent boy, and Enrique very, very quickly lost whatever innocence he might have had left after a few months worth of "practice". Even nowadays, he tends to avoid other people's bedrooms for fear of seeing too deeply into their love lives. Ortheomancy, on the other hand, scared him. Even moreso after an incident involving getting one of the dogs to dance ended with a pair of severely mangled hind legs. However, Mama, bless her, was thoroughly supportive of her firstborn son, and did everything she could to help him come to terms with his abilities and how to use them in constructive ways. His favorite (and first) guitar pick, made from Mama's replaced kneecap after her surgery, was the embodiment of her efforts, and was the first object Enrique ever made from bones that exhibited supernatural properties. Even now, over a decade later, it instantly tunes any stringed instrument its used to play.

He kept his head down, graduated high school, and went to work in construction to help pay his way through night school. His dream though, was to make it as a musician. Papa always had a soft spot for bachata and mariachi, but Enrique was much more interested in alternative rock and grunge music (he even named his ESPer powers after a favorite song). He learned to play guitar at age 10, and throughout his childhood floated from garage band to garage band. He sings (badly) too, but his guitar skills might just get him somewhere, if he's lucky.

And that, in essence, is why he now finds himself in megalopolis, living in a rented studio apartment and working for a local construction firm. He has a bachelors in history that he's just finished, but he's really here to chase his dream of making it big in a rock band. He still calls home once a week to make sure la familia is doing ok though. SO far so good. He's even an uncle now!

ESPer Ability

Spoiler

Them Bones

Them Bones, as Enrique's ESPer powers are collectively referred to, are a trifecta of abilities that are tangentially related to one another, and interact in different ways when used together. They are, in order:

• Empathy- The ability to sense and feel the emotions of other beings
  • Post-Cognition- The ability to see the past of a person or place
  • Ortheomancy- The ability to animate and manipulate bone

Enrique's empathic abilities are somewhat limited. He passively feels the emotions of all beings within a roughly thirty foot radius, something he is incapable of stopping himself from doing. He can, however, focus this sixth sense onto a single target in order to drown out others. When physically touching an individual, this is amplified by several orders of magnitude, allowing him to perceive with absolute clarity every layer of their current mood and, with some simple deduction and the help of his other powers, glean the underlying stimuli for it. He is also able to use his empathic abilities on the deceased, provided there is at least some part of their skeleton remaining in their body when he touches it. This allows him to glean their emotions during their last moments, or to get a sense of what their spirit is currently feeling in the afterlife.

He often uses his empathy in tandem with his post-cognition. Unlike the former though, the latter is an ability that Enrique has total control of. When he makes physical contact with a person, he is able to perceive their past. Usually, this only extends back a day or so, but he can extend his viewing window through prolonged contact. Though he's never gotten a chance to try it out, he can theoretically see a person's entire life through prolonged intimate contact, even events that they themselves have forgotten or repressed. He can also see past events that have occurred in a specific place through a similar process of placing an uncovered part of his body on the ground. Normally this extends out to about a thirty foot radius and only goes back as far as a day, but the more he concentrates, and the more time he spends in a place, the larger his viewing window becomes. He has been able to view the entire one hundred and fifty year history of his old house in California, for instance. He can also use this power on the dead, so long as he makes physical contact with the body or a remnant thereof that contains at least a part of its skeleton. This allows him to see the individual's last moments, and as far back as twenty four hours prior to death, though doing so is rather taxing emotionally.

The last and most potent of his powers is Ortheomancy: the ability to animate and manipulate bone. It goes far beyond simply being able to animate a skeleton- so long as there's enough material (read: bone or matter that is composed in part or whole thereof) available to him, and he is able to see it, Enrique can form and shape virtually any tool or object he can imagine. Examples include, but are not limited to: literal skeleton keys, bladed weapons, animate statues, and a bicycle. Rather gruesomely, this extends to living beings as well. If he wanted, Enrique could bend and twist a living person's skeleton in any way he so desires. Though in a rage he has often fantasized about making a marionette out of someone he dislikes, he has only ever used this ability on living things for mundane applications, such as helping an injured person to walk, or repairing a broken bone. Interestingly, objects he creates from bones not found within a currently living body often manifest anomalous properties, usually in some way related to the manner in which the individual died or lived their life. Enrique has no control over what these abilities end up being, though by using his other powers, he's often able to make an educated guess as to what those might be. These anomalous abilities can and have ranged from the mundane, like a guitar pick he once made from a kneecap that will instantly tune the strings of any instrument, to a knife that has been able to harm incorporeal or otherwise supernatural entities like ghosts and djinn, which is something he almost always keeps on his person.

Its also worth noting that Enrique is able to use his abilities on fossils as well, and any items crafted in part or whole from such material will have whatever abilities they are bestowed by his power amplified. However, as non-mold fossils are hard to come by, he rarely has a chance to make use of them.

EKPoSBE.png

"Ey Cabron! Go back to the afterlife where you belong!"

Edited by Zai

Name:
Sophia Manchester

Birthday:
31st August

Appearance:
She is 175 centimetres tall.

Personality:
Sophia is a confident woman who uses her charms to her advantage. She’s always up for being the first person to speak up and the last person to finish, insistent that all the spotlight be laid on her. Still, being one who aims to be the centre of attention, she does treat others with respect and kindness - as much as her less arrogant side can muster. She does wish to treat others well, but her pride tends to get in the way.

Biography:
Sophia is from a rich family. The Manchesters were highly influential people back where she came from, and many a time joined in on politics. Life was rich for the Manchesters. One day, Sophia discovered her powers and began to flaunt them, using illusions to let others see rocks as valuables, the ugly as the beautiful. Others had powers where she was too, and she quickly formed a rivalry with them due to her pride and pettiness.

She decided to move to Megalopolis due to how there was such tight competition as to who was the best of the best. She decided to let them be the greatest where she lived, while she decided to be the greatest in the world.

ESPer Ability
Five Senses Illusion
Also known as 5SI, this ability is exactly as the label says - it creates illusions that respond to all five senses - sight, smell, hearing, taste and even touch. This means that the illusions will appear as real as possible, and the fact that they affect touch means that they can indeed affect pain receceptors. She can use this to mask appearances of herself and others, and make things appear as other things. Being able to control smell and hearing through illusion means she can make those appear from other areas, or even mask them.

480a142140e12fb49cc471d567115efb.png

The Perfect Observer

Name: Silas Gray (goes by Gray)
Birthday: September 28th

vRxue6c.jpg

Appearance:

Standing at 5’9”, Gray for all the world appears as a grumpy old man, though he’s not that far into his 40s. Gray hair and a tired face surmounted by a pair of round-framed glasses, he seems to be a man as lacking in color as his name. His features are squarish and edged, and he generally puts little effort into grooming himself beyond the basic necessities.

Personality:

Gray is a quiet, thoughtful man, very intelligent and very reserved. He lacks a strong sense of humor and rarely raises his voice, seeming like a man closer to the ghosts than humans. He very much dislikes attention being payed to him, preferring to exist at the fringes and not be in the spotlight. He is very observant, able to catch small movements and is very adept at determining when he is being lied to or something is being hidden from him. Beneath the seemingly dull shell lies a man who is very kind and loathe to engage in conflict. Gray dislikes inserting himself into conflicts, particularly ones that involve other ESPers. He has a very layered and meticulous approach to life, wanting to have everything in its proper place and being indecisive when that order is disrupted. He has a strong sense of right and wrong, and dislikes greatly being under the purview of criminals, believing their view of himself and other ESPers to be not just greedy but wasteful.

Gray thinks of ESPers as a reflection of their abilities, that these strange, ghostly powers are maybe a call to action from the ghosts themselves. He believes that his ability to see all around him and to be aware of the unseen is perhaps a call for him to be willing to see not just the physical but also the metaphorical. He strives to see both sides of every argument, claiming that if he saw only the physical viewpoints around him his time on this Earth is a waste. This plays very much at odds with him working for the mafia, and he struggles with it daily, wondering if he is doing the right thing. He is one of the more benevolent towards ghosts in general than a lot of other ESPers, believing there may be some deeper meaning in their actions, a theory he reached with his wife that he now holds dear, desperately hoping there is a reason behind their powers and the forces that are now shaking the world, rather than random chance. He is very hard to rouse to action, preferring to keep a neutral position even as his bosses try to push him to greater things. 

Biography:

Gray spent the majority of his life a very unexciting man. He didn’t want to stand out or be noticed, a trait he still holds to this day. He worked as a teacher in Berlin, on the topic of history. It wasn’t until he was in his late 20s that his ESPer powers started to show themselves. Disorienting flashes and hallucinations, or at least that was how he thought of them, were how they started. In truth he was seeing himself through the eyes of his students, his sight sporadically shifting through them. He grew paranoid that he was starting to lose his mind, and became a withdrawn, quiet man, wearing dark glasses so he had an excuse to teach his classes with his eyes shut. His performance at work deteriorated and he was forced to seek psychiatric help, trying to suppress his newfound abilities with medication. It was this that attracted the attention of a psychologist by the name of Lucy Vandren. An ESPer herself, if a rather low-PPL one, she was working in Germany at the time, and while her abilities were rather weak (the power to intrinsically know random things about anyone she looked at, private or not) she had held them for far longer. She assisted Gray in learning to control his abilities, help him take in his increased view and process it correctly. 

She attempted to bring her research on Gray and her own ESPer abilities to the scientific community for funding and further study, but was dismayed when she was swiftly denied. Little did the two know the German government was one of many world organizations suppressing information about ESPers, and didn’t want the information being presented to the public this way. Lucy became quickly disgraced and labeled as a quack in her field, and she made the decision to move to Megalopolis, hoping to have more luck there. Gray was more than happy to follow, feeling that he owed his life to Lucy. The two were married in the summer of 2018, and began their life in Megalopolis. 

This location didn’t prove very helpful either as Lucy tried to reestablish her reputation. The two quickly fell on hard times, as Gray didn’t exactly have outstanding recommendations from former employers, his history hampered by his bout of power incontinence. But salvation came in the form of a well-dressed gentleman who informed Lucy that she was investigating some very fruitful things, things that would be best studied away from the eyes of the law. The mafia was greatly interested in ESPers and the opportunity they presented, and were more than willing to allow her to work for them. Desperate and in imminent threat of homelessness, Lucy accepted, and she and her husband were folded under the barbed wing of the mafia. 

The mafia was not interested in mere theory; If Gray had ESPer abilities, they were to be put to use for their benefit. Gray trained to increase the efficacy of his powers, motivated by the knowledge that a lack of results would impact his wife in horrible ways if he lagged behind. Gradually his sight expanded to include everything around him, and the bosses realized that Gray was a blind spot on the PPL radar, unable to be detected. They presented him with a request, though it certainly wasn’t worded like a request: Become the weapon of the mafia against enemy ESPers. The yakuza, the government, anyone who was on their hit list. Gray balked at the idea of murder, and resisted it strongly, as tension grew between the couple and the mafiosos.

Then tragedy struck. Lucy, who had been the frontrunner in recruiting mafia ESPers, was found by Gray in their apartment, dead by no visible means. Gray was devastated, almost having a nervous breakdown at this loss. He was given some space by the mafiosos, but was told they still expected an answer sooner rather than later. But they were quickly distracted by something else: Another mafia ESPer dead by the same means within a month. Then another a few weeks later. It became clear this was no coincidence. 

Within 6 months Gray was one of the last ESPers technically under mafia payroll, though he had been inactive for most of that period grieving for Lucy. When he finally learned that more and more mafia ESPer were being killed, as well as ESPers outside their circle, he presented the mafia with his own proposition. He would take up Lucy’s mantle of ESPer recruiter, as he was the perfect set of eyes to find them. He would not kill for them, unless the one who killed Lucy crossed his path. That individual he was more than willing to bloody his hands for. While the mafia still pressures Gray to take up the assassin’s bullet the arrangement was tentatively agreed to. Gray personally couldn’t care less about the mafiosos, considering them more a means to avoid living on the street while he searches out ESPers for his true agenda: Find himself allies he can use against the one who killed his wife. 

ESPer Ability: 

Blindspot

Gray possessed the ability to be the perfect observer: One who sees all and is unseen. Gray can see with perfect clarity within the radius of his own sightline around himself. Most notably he can detect any areas in this radius that aren't being observed by others. He has the ability to appear in them instantaneously, able to transplant himself there with barely a thought in the space of a fraction of a second. He uses this to set up sneak attacks, believing that the best way to defeat any enemy is quickly and efficiently. Gray also possesses a possibly unique ability that ties into his Blindspot. While he can see everything around him, he is unable to be detected by other ESPers. While able to detect and gauge the PPL of other nearby ESPers, Gray himself cannot be located by the same method. This makes him an incredibly dangerous threat when roused, as it is easy to underestimate him as just a normal human.

“Weren’t expecting to see me here, were you?”

Edited by Faytl