Sign in to follow this  
The Warden

Beasts of Legend (Phantom Beast/Mythical Beast Support)(WRITTEN)

Been a long time since I've ever, personally, thrown my designs into the ring. A very, very long time. Anyways, I feel confident enough to share my vision for support for the Phantom Beast archetype by taking cues from their progenitors (Gazelle, Berfomet, and Chimera) by blending into the Phantom Beasts the power of Fusion. Ideally, these cards are meant to be a control-style deck, but without the constant negations that are now so utterly prevalent in this game. In fact, they were made as a challenge to make a control-style deck without abusing negations.

Main Deck Monsters

Spoiler

King of the Phantom Beasts
EARTH
Beast-Warrior / Effect
This card’s name is also treated as “Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts”. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Berfomet” or 1 non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monster from your Deck. When you Special Summon a “Phantom Beast” Fusion Monster: You can add this card from your GY to your hand, but it cannot be Normal Summoned during this turn. A “Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast” Fusion Summoned using this card as a material gains the following effect:
*When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can destroy up to 2 cards in zones that the effect of a “Phantom Beast” monster is being applied to, and if you do, this card gains 300 ATK for each card destroyed.
ATK: 1500 / DEF: 1200

NOTES: Gazelle, as we know, is a vanilla, which basically means he's useless. Which is why I've decided to reimagine him into the Phantom Beast archetype (yes I know he's a member) by making him king of the lot, therby making him more useful by getting allies or a Berfomet out. The name change follows similar to Cyber Harpie Lady's effect, so you can't have 3 of each, but I daresay this is a better option over the original. The recurring effect helps with the fact that this is a fusion-based archetype, and will help recurr the cost while having a fair negative that prevents further abuse. Likewise, being able to SS only off of NS will limit him a bit, though he makes for a good combo with Steel-Mane (see below for that effect). Him providing an additional effect to Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast as a means of elevating it to the level of the custom support, without having to rework Chimera himself. 

Shadow of the Phantom Beasts
DARK
Beast-Warrior / Effect
This card’s name is also treated as “Berfomet”. When this card is Summoned: You can add 1 “Phantom Fusion” or “Phantom Beast” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Shadow of the Phantom Beasts” once per turn. If you Fusion Summon of a “Phantom Beast” Fusion Monster using this card as a material, you can apply 1 of the following effects:
*Add 1 “Phantom Beast” monster from your Deck to your hand.
*Target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it.
ATK: 1400 / DEF: 1800

NOTES: Much like the original Gazelle, Berfomet is also a pretty blah card, hence another reimagining by marrying him into the Phantom Beast archetype. Naturally, he's meant to pair with King of the Phantom Beasts by searching a backrow card off of summon, thus creating a neat chain while helping to grab the designated fusion card for the archetype. The effect by being used as a material is likewise a means to help recoup the losses caused by fusion, or to just be a jerk by blowing up a card. I originally had him without a hard OPT for his on-summon effect, but I felt unrestricted, constant searches, even of S/Ts, might be a bit much.

Phantom Beast Steel-Mane
EARTH
Beast-Warrior / Effect
During the turn this card was Summoned, you can Normal Summon/Set 1 non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monster as an additional Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) During your Main Phase: You can target 1 card you control; destroy it, then, Set 1 “Phantom Fusion” or “Phantom Beast” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck, hand, or GY to the field. If it is a Quick-Play Spell Card or Trap Card, it can be activated during this turn. You can only use this effect of “Phantom Beast Steel-Mane” once per turn.
ATK: 1900 / DEF: 1300

NOTES: While the Phantom Beast archetype does possess several members already, I wanted to include a more solid playmaker to assist with their starting plays by having both an ever-handy extra normal summon, while also making Fire Formation - Tenki a much more valuable asset for the deck. As by searching Tenki, you can grab Steel-Mane, then use him to pop Tenki to grab another backrow card.

Extra Deck

Spoiler

Manticore the Venomous Mythical Beast
FIRE
Beast / Fusion / Effect
“Phantom Beast Steel-Mane” + “Berfomet” OR 1 “Phantom Beast” monster
(This card is always treated as a “Phantom Beast” card.)
When this card is Fusion Summoned: Choose up to 2 Monster Zones your opponent controls, also, if you Fusion Summoned this card using “Berfomet” as a material, you can choose an additional zone; flip any monster Set in those zones face-up, also, apply the following effects while this card remains on the field.
*When a monster is Summoned to 1 of those zones, inflict 600 damage to your opponent.
*Reduce the ATK/DEF of monsters in those zones by 800.
*If “Berfomet” was used as a material for this card’s Fusion Summon, monsters cannot be Set in those zones.
When this card is destroyed: You can target 1 “Phantom Beast Steel-Mane” or “Berfomet” in your GY; Special Summon it.
ATK: 2400 / DEF: 1800

NOTES: First off, yes I know I could have made this a Phantom Beast by name; however, I wanted to preserve the original naming scheme (because it's pretty cool) of Chimera, as to keep things consistent. Manticore was chosen as the mythical creature, as it is a lion with bat wings and a scorpion tail, which I feel can be seen as a mutation of Steel-Mane by mixing in Berfomet. Truth be told though, I have found the wording of these Mythical Beasts kinda nightmarish, but I wanted to keep with a theme of marking monster zones for their effects. In this case, the stat reduction and the burn damage are based around the zones being inflicted by Manticore's poison (him being FIRE is also due to some manticores in media being associated with flame). The idea of the effects is to make it okay to use another PB monster in a pinch as a material, but still rewarding the use of Berfomet (who, as Shadow of the Phantom Beasts, is even more rewarding). Likewise, I feel the effect is balanced as your opponent can just avoid using the selected zones, or to use them temporarily.

Roc the Ancient Mythical Beast
EARTH
Beast / Fusion / Effect
“Phantom Beast Cross-Wing” + “Berfomet” OR 1 “Phantom Beast” monster
When this card is Fusion Summoned: Choose up to 2 Spell/Trap Zones your opponent controls, also, if you Fusion Summoned this card using “Berfomet” as a material, you can choose an additional zone; Set any face-up Spell/Trap Card in those zones, also, apply the following effects while this card remains on the field.
*If your opponent would play a Spell Card to 1 of those zones, they must Set the card first before activating it, also, your opponent cannot activate those cards until their next turn.
*If “Berfomet” was used as a material for this card’s Fusion Summon, during your opponent’s End Phase, if there is a face-down card in 1 of those zones that was Set during your opponent’s previous turn, destroy it.
When this card is destroyed: You can target 1 “Phantom Beast Cross-Wing” or “Berfomet” in your GY; Special Summon it.
ATK: 2200 / DEF: 1800

NOTES: This card was inspired by the mythical creature the Roc, hence its EARTH element and that it came from PB Cross-Wing. Like Manticore, this plays to a control element by providing an Anti-Magic Fragrance effect to their S/T zones, which can and will screw over Pendulums (like they haven't taken it for a while already under MR4 anyways). This card also includes a destruction effect that punishes your opponent for reckless setting without use by blowing cards up. Not really a wow factor, but there you go.

Alicorn the Blessed Mythical Beast
LIGHT
Beast / Fusion / Effect
“Phantom Beast Thunder-Pegasus” + “Berfomet” OR 1 “Phantom Beast” monster
When this card is Fusion Summoned: Choose 2 Monster Zones you control, also, if you Fusion Summoned this card using “Berfomet” as a material, you can choose an additional zone. While this card remains on the field, monsters in the those zones cannot be destroyed by battle, also, if “Berfomet” was used as a material for this card’s Fusion Summon, monsters in those zones cannot be destroyed by card effects. When this card is destroyed: You can target 1 “Phantom Beast Thunder-Pegasus” or “Berfomet” in your GY; Special Summon it.
ATK: 1600 / DEF: 2800

NOTES: *Cue the My Little Pony theme song* Jokes aside, naming Alicorn was a total pain because the next horn up from a unicorn is a bicorn, which wouldn't match the LIGHT element I was going for. (Yes I know about Voltic Bicorn who is LIGHT.) Likewise, there's not really a step-up from a pegasus, so I had to improvise. The purpose of this card is to include a defensive element, which is what PB Thunder-Pegasus itself was good at. The defensive nature of it allows it to keep up with destruction effects, including those that don't target, but not make it such an absolute tank that two of them can shield the entire field from harm.

Wendigo the Depraved Mythical Beast
WATER
Beast / Fusion / Effect
“Phantom Beast Wild-Horn” + “Berfomet” OR 1 “Phantom Beast” monster
When this card is Fusion Summoned: Choose up to 2 Monster Zones your opponent controls, also, if you Fusion Summoned this card using “Berfomet” as a material, you can choose an additional zone; change all face-up Defence Position monsters in those zones to Attack Position. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can change the Battle Position of any monster in those zones. If “Berfomet” was used as a material for this card’s Fusion Summon, monsters in those zones cannot activate their effects. When this card is destroyed: You can target 1 “Phantom Beast Wild-Horn” or “Berfomet” in your GY; Special Summon it.
ATK: 2500 / DEF: 1800

NOTES: PB Wild-Horn was honestly kinda hard to make a demonic fusion of, but considering the snowy mountains in his card art, a wendigo made a lot of sense as it's big, shaggy, and usually has horns. This also allowed it to be the WATER member of the troupe. This card, like Manticore, is meant to put the chill on your opponent's monsters by making good use of traditional ice-based effects; that being preventing battle changes, and like Cold Wave before it, icing out effects. I likewise feel preventing effect activating to be a bit of a cheat around the no negating thing, as it's not negation, it's prevention. Likewise, he's meant to work with Manticore to force out battle damage by weakening targets in Manticore's selected zones, and having Wendigo force them into attack mode.

Kaiju the Colossal Mythical Beast
DARK
Beast / Fusion / Effect
“Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard” + “Berfomet” OR 1 “Phantom Beast” monster
Once per turn: You can target a number of cards on the field equal to the number of different “Phantom Beast” Fusion Monsters you control -1; destroy them. Each time a card your opponent controls is destroyed by a “Phantom Beast” monster (either by battle or by card effect): Inflict 500 damage to your opponent. When this card is destroyed: You can target 1 “Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard” or “Berfomet” in your GY; Special Summon it, also, if “Berfomet” was used as a material for this card’s Fusion Summon, inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.
ATK: 3000 / DEF: 2000

NOTES: This one was tricky to work with, as PB Rock-Lizard is such an odd duck among the PB, as he is very unlike a normal PB monster. I wanted his destruction effect to reward summoning out multiple PB monsters, as opposed to just getting him out and popping constantly, hence the -1 to targets. Mayhaps this is being a bit stringent, but I felt given the control element of the deck, it was fair enough. Plus, the burn effect can be a bit much as he can just pop himself for an easy -2000 on the turn you summoned him, then you can bring back a Shadow of the Phantom Beasts for a search (presuming you haven't already). Honestly, I feel he may be the weakest of the lot, while ironically being the strongest and a potential game-ender with the burn effect. (He's also the only Level 8 Mythical Beast of the series. Also, not really sure why the original PB Rock-Lizard had that big burn effect either.)

Vilespawn the Depraved Mythical Beast
DARK
Beast / Fusion / Effect
“Berfomet” + 1 “Phantom Beast” monster
You can also Fusion Summon this card by sending the above cards you control to the GY. (You do not use “Polymerization”.) This card’s name is also treated as “Berfomet” while banished, on the field, or in the GY. You can only use each of the following effects of “Vilespawn the Depraved Mythical Beast” once per turn.
*(Quick Effect): You can Fusion Summon 1 Beast Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck by banishing this card you control and 1 “Phantom Beast” monster from your GY as Fusion Materials.
*When a “Phantom Beast” Fusion Monster is sent to the GY while this card is banished: You can add this banished card to your Extra Deck. 
ATK: 1400/ DEF: 1800

NOTES: This one may be a little redundant truth be told, but I kinda wanted to give Berfomet his own fusion, while also creating the means for them to have a Miracle Fusion without needing it to be a spell card (that would also be most likely searchable). In hindsight, I wouldn't have really needed to make this a contact fusion, as I could have just made this card a link. Food for thought. Either way, I wanted a Miracle Fusion element with a sort of unique-ish recurring element, thus Vilespawn was born to fill that need. Btw, I wanted to call him Hellspawn, but I simply felt compelled to work with the kina edgy but not all the way edgy naming early Yugioh cards were known for.

Spells/Traps

Spoiler

Mirage of the Phantom Beasts
Normal Spell
You can only activate 1 “Mirage of the Phantom Beasts” per turn. Reveal 3 non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monsters from your Deck, have your opponent add 1 of them to your hand, and send the rest to your GY. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish 2 “Phantom Beast” monsters from your GY; add this card to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Mirage of the Phantom Beasts” once per Duel.

NOTES: The purpose of this card, realistically, is to be RotA and Foolish Burial in one, largely to give greater precedence in using PB Cross-Wing as its gives your PBs +300 ATK per copy in the GY. The GY effect is largely because every archetype-specific RotA needs one nowadays.

Phantom Fusion
Quick-Play Spell
Fusion Summon 1 Beast Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material. If you would Fusion Summon a monster that lists “Berfomet” as a Fusion Material, you can also use “Berfomet” in your Deck as material. If this card is in your GY: You can shuffle this card and 1 “Berfomet” in your GY into your Deck; draw 1 card.

NOTES: Honestly, I feel maybe I went too far with this one, as it basically allows the Berfomet clause in the fusions to always be on by letting you use a deck-based one as a material, as it would then trigger its effect for a search. But I guess saying "But it's Phantom Beasts, they need this sort of thing" doesn't exactly act as an excuse. I still stand by the design philosphy however, as, well, it's Phantom Beasts. They need a card like this. The GY effect was inspired by Metalfoes Fusion, who could constantly add itself back to the deck. I amped it up by also recycling Berfomet/Shadow of the PBs, as he is a key card for this deck.

Revenge of the Phantom Beasts
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 “Phantom Beast” Fusion Monster you control or in your GY; return it to your Extra Deck, and if the Fusion Materials listed on it are in your GY, you can Special Summon them. During the Damage Step, when a “Phantom Beast” monster you controls battles: You can banish this card from your GY; that monster gains 1000 ATK until the end of this turn.

NOTES: De-Fusion, but rebranded. This card is intended to help keep the train going for the PBs by letting you either De-Fuse from the field or GY, and no doubt gaining the benefits of bring back Shadow of the Phantom Beasts for searching. However, this card will not reward reckless use of Phantom Fusion's GY recurral effect, so it may be a dud from time to time. However, you can at least gain a nifty GY Honest effect your opponent will see a mile away.

Arena of the Phantom Beasts
Field Spell
“Phantom Beast” monsters gain 200 ATK/DEF. If a non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monster attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. Once per either player’s turn: You can send 1 non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monster from your Deck to your GY, then target 1 “Phantom Beast” monster you control; once this turn, if the target would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, it is not.

NOTES: Amazing, isn't it? A field spell that isn't also a RotA? Unheard of! Regardless, the purpose of this card is to help the battle-heavy nature of the PBs by Ancient Gearing your opponent, since they cannot even use Honest effects even when they're the ones attacking. This likewise helps enable the destruction effect of Roc by sealing battle traps. Because everyone still sets those, right? The protection effect via Foolish Burial was intended for both protection, and for dumping Cross-Wing/Thunder-Pegasus for their GY effects.

Phantom Beast’s Mythical Might
Continuous Spell
When you Fusion Summon a Beast Fusion Monster: You can activate this effect; Set 1 “Phantom Beast” Trap Card from your hand, Deck, or GY to your field. It can be activated this turn. At the start of the Damage Step, if a “Phantom Beast” Fusion Monster you control battles a monster: You can banish 1 Fusion Material listed on it from your hand, field, or GY; destroy the opposing monster without applying Damage Calculation, and if your monster was the one attacking, it can attack again.

NOTES: Originally, this card just set Horn of the Phantom Beasts, because I couldn't fathom the idea of making other trap cards for the PBs. Truth be told, this one might be more of a throwaway than anything else, as it basically just turns the Mythical Beasts into Catastors that can keep swinging away. But it can be useful against stubborn, targetting-resistant monsters. Probably a card you'd play 1 of, if just for being able to make fusion summoning even more grindy.

Illusion of the Phantom Beasts
Normal Trap
You can also activate this card from your hand by banishing 1 non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monster from your hand or your field. Take up to 4 non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monsters in your possession from your GY or that are banished and shuffle them into your Deck, then apply the appropriate effect based on the number of returned monsters.
*1: Your opponent cannot activate monster effects from their hand until the end of this turn.
*2: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls.
*3: Destroy 1 monster on the field.
*4: Draw 1 card.

NOTES: The purpose of this card is to somewhat twist the idea of a Pot of Avarice effect on its head by letting you choose the number you want, and gaining a beneficial effect from it. This card basically freezes hand traps, can be a MST, single destruction, or a draw. And thanks to other effects allowing for instant usage, it is held back a bit less by being a trap card.

Tag Tactics of the Phantom Beasts
Normal Trap
Shuffle all “Phantom Beast” monsters you control into your Deck; Special Summon an equal number of non-Machine “Phantom Beast” monsters from your hand, GY, or that is banished, also, you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except Beast Fusion Monsters. You can banish this card from your GY; Set 1 “Phantom Fusion” or “Phantom Beast” Spell/Trap Card (except “Tag Tactics of the Phantom Beasts”) from your Deck to the field. You can only use 1 effect of “Tag Tactics of the Phantom Beasts” per turn, and only once per that turn.

NOTES: Something of a "Screw you guys, Imma going home" effect by clearing out your field, or possibly saving your card while also making use of your GY and banished zone (thanks to the effects of Vilespawn and Mirage). This way, you can custom-make your own field without being able to take your pic from the deck, so you gotta be careful about what you do. The GY effect is largely to help improve on its use, especially if you blow it up with Steel-Mane.

I have not fully analyzed everything, but at a third glance it looks solid. I am a bit concerned about Mecha Phantom Beasts abusing this support somehow, but so far I can only think of milling O-Lion (Forbidden in TCG, unlimited in OCG) for the Token and enable some shenanigans, because the mechas don't fuse, and some support in this set applies only yo Beast "Phantom Beasts".
I noticed some text issues like using the word "Select", which is outdated, and the (Quick Effect) clause in the Field Spells, which isn't possible because Quick Effects are a type of monsters effects, not Spells. It would be like giving a Spell an Ignition Effect, which simply isn't a thing. An alternative is the (during either player's turn) clause, or make the effect respond to something so it works on both player's turn.

I get that the Berfomet look-alike is Beast-Warrior to blend better with the set, but IMO it would be flavorful to keep it as a Fiend and possibly make the set play a bit with the Fiend type, such as turning other of the new PBs into Fiends. Who knows, if you make some of them Level 3, TGU could come in handy too. Sure, it would mean jumping a couple of hoops, but that could also justify the rewards of using Berfomet as Fusion Material.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:44 AM, Summer Darj said:

I have not fully analyzed everything, but at a third glance it looks solid. I am a bit concerned about Mecha Phantom Beasts abusing this support somehow, but so far I can only think of milling O-Lion (Forbidden in TCG, unlimited in OCG) for the Token and enable some shenanigans, because the mechas don't fuse, and some support in this set applies only yo Beast "Phantom Beasts".
I noticed some text issues like using the word "Select", which is outdated, and the (Quick Effect) clause in the Field Spells, which isn't possible because Quick Effects are a type of monsters effects, not Spells. It would be like giving a Spell an Ignition Effect, which simply isn't a thing. An alternative is the (during either player's turn) clause, or make the effect respond to something so it works on both player's turn.

I get that the Berfomet look-alike is Beast-Warrior to blend better with the set, but IMO it would be flavorful to keep it as a Fiend and possibly make the set play a bit with the Fiend type, such as turning other of the new PBs into Fiends. Who knows, if you make some of them Level 3, TGU could come in handy too. Sure, it would mean jumping a couple of hoops, but that could also justify the rewards of using Berfomet as Fusion Material.

I may not hurt to retweak the wording then. And I did try to take the MPBs into account for the effects of the cards, but I can update Mirage to say non-Machine PB monsters. Also, the select thing was what I was going off because a metric tonne of zone selection cards are super old, and have not had their text updated to the modern era. Only one with the modern writing is Excode Talker.

I feel like trying to go for flavour kinda weakens things overall, and while being able to work with TGU would be cute, the only benefit of doing so would be easy access to M-X-Saber Invoker, who is very much banned. Really, the gist was more focusing on marrying the concepts of Gazelle and Chimera with the Phantom Beasts, as their fiend-like nature is shown in how Berfomet mutates them into more horrible creatures, like Wild-Horn being turned into a horrible wendigo.

EDIT: Anyways, I've updated the text of the fusions, and added a fair few non-Machina clauses to the effects.

Sounds good to me. And I agree, the Fiend integration is not a necessity, Berfomet works just fine as Beast-Warrior, and could just make things clunkier. It would be flavorful yes, but I would rather have something more practical than having the set compromise its effectiveness for the sake of spice.