yui

post your argument and i will oppose it

wun8mhffrb9y.png

(disclaimer: this thread is all in good fun. use your common sense if i'm made to contest an argument that gets political on if i really mean what i say or if i'm just humoring the person that posted it)

i'm disappointed in all of you except sai for thinking i'd be that easy to stump. anyway,

edgeworth.gif

47 minutes ago, Blake said:

raincoats are nice 

Raincoats are inconvenient for day-to-day use. In a society where we go most places by car, wearing one out on a rainy day is just begging for wet car seat unless you're going somewhere within walking distance. Even if you are, it's much faster and simpler to simply close an umbrella and leave it by the door, or put it in some sort of bag. Some countries even have little plastic bags to put your umbrella in while you're inside! They have no such bags meant for a raincoat. Unless you need to be out in the rain for a prolonged period of time such as for your job - particularly if your job requires the use of both hands - there is no feasible reason to wear a raincoat over simply using an umbrella, and outdoor jobs are more and more becoming a niche thing with the US still in the throes of a pandemic that should have been over months ago.

45 minutes ago, (␀) said:

raincoats are fashionable

The oilskins and macs we're talking about are decidedly not. Between the really bright colors, the opacity, and the awkward length, raincoats don't really go with anything, and the intentionally loose fits don't exactly make them a flattering look. For fashion purposes, you're better off getting one of those sporty-looking nylon jackets or fuck it just a regular hoodie with enough bulk that you won't get soaked through it. The closest a raincoat can get to fashionable is if they're fully transparent, at which point it's a bit of a stretch to call them part of the ensemble.

43 minutes ago, Saikazo said:

Quick is a great card type.

Not at all. Quick is in a tragic position where because it tries to do a little bit of everything, it cannot be allowed to be good. It does the least damage of all three card types, and that's exactly part of the problem, because the tradeoff is that it both generates NP and drops the most critical stars of any card type. Setting aside the fact that active star gen - Quick's only selling point - is worse than passive skill gen such as from skills and CEs (meaning Buster and Arts also have access to it!), this puts Quick in a lose/lose situation. It can't put out the damage numbers of Buster, since if it does, why would you use anything else when you can do as much damage as Buster while also filling your NP gauge? The Skadi farming meta - while not quite packing the numbers Buster is capable of - exemplifies this point marvelously. Quick performance buffs - the crux of the Skadi meta - increase damage and NP gain, but if you make it a generic ATK up buff, you'd be better off using that on Buster servants.

As much as I would love for Quick to find a home someday, the current state of the card type simply doesn't allow it outside of Skadi farming being the simplest/most braindead way to farm nodes. And even then, Caster Artoria does Skadi's job but better in JP.

41 minutes ago, Kazooie said:

the cookie to cream ratio in double stuff oreos is objectively better than the ratio in normal oreos

Hardly. As we all know, nothing goes with oreos quite like a glass of milk or a similarly rich beverage (I'd quite like to try them dipped in hot chocolate!). However, having double stuffed oreos means the cream - which is basically just sugar - will get in the way of the taste of a dipped oreo. Plus, assuming the packages for regular and double stuffed oreos are the same size, buying double stuffed means you're getting less oreos in your purchase, which is just inefficient. Not to mention that the stuffing is bad for your teeth. The chocolate cookie isn't exactly a dentist's wet dream either, but less tooth torture is never a bad thing.

Edited by yui

wright.gif

11 hours ago, UltimateIRS said:

giving me money isn't actually a good idea

Of all the random acts of kindness one can do, I find that charitable generosity is among the greatest. It feels nice to give people things, and money is of course no exception! Once the money is in your hands, it isn't really the donor's problem or business what you plan to do with it anyway.

5 hours ago, worK said:

yui is a handsome lad

Yui is like a 6 or low 7/10 on the best of days. He waits too long to shave and his facial hair really does not suit him, and his hair gets greasy way too fast if he misses even a single day of showering. Even if he stays on top of the hair on his face and head, he's still just aight-looking.

2 hours ago, Thar said:

you will oppose this argument

nah

9 minutes ago, MetalSonic said:

The Big Bang Theory is one of the worst sitcoms on TV.

BBT has been off the air for nearly two years, and if we are including syndications then there are heaps of worse shows.

Not my thread but I saw easy pickings.

you guys are making my job too easy again

563554a07f86f080eef03e8faf1d967e67ae2158

On 2/10/2021 at 10:10 AM, MetalSonic said:

The Big Bang Theory is one of the worst sitcoms on TV.

Big Bang Theory is not a bad sitcom. It's a decent one that gets dragged down really hard by half of the main cast. Turn Sheldon into a recurring minor character that lives elsewhere in the building, make Raj the one with more presence between him and Howard, and promote Leonard to central main character status, similar to what Eric in That 70's Show or Raymond in Everybody Loves Raymond have got going on. Just by doing those three things, at least half of the problems with Big Bang Theory will be fixed. The biggest issue is how BBT tries to split the spotlight between Leonard and Sheldon, so it would be best to cut down on the less likable one instead of not only not doing that, but giving him an entire spinoff prequel show.

This wasn't supposed to be a bit on how to fix Big Bang Theory, but the main point of my argument was already at the very start of the post. Big Bang Theory isn't that bad, Sheldon and Howard are. Plus, I'd still watch that over Seinfeld or Two and a Half Men after Charlie left, any time, any day.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:54 PM, Summer Darj said:

DUEA (Shaddolls, BA, etc.) format was the best YGO format.

The meta was just two control decks, how is that a good format? There's arguments to be made that tellar was a third top deck in this format, but that can just as easily be chalked up to simply having a good matchup against one of the two meta decks. Unironically, I would rather play goat format.

rock isn't the devil's music

(i know this is a rather easy thing to present a counterargument to, since the lie/exaggeration/rumor mill has been running on overdrive for well over half a century. the challenge im intending to present is, can you make the classical counterarguments and "cases in point" look reasonable in comparison to whatever you post?)

source.gif

On 2/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, The Frost King said:

Arts is the best card type and Castoria is the best support caster

In the current meta of FGO's Japanese release, Arts is only the best card type for farming. Even this, however, is far more involved/less braindead than Quick farming with double Skadi. While it's capable of handling more types of enemies, this means it's harder to automate. But even then, this is just talking about farming. For the purpose of challenge quests and other boss content, Buster still reigns supreme due to its huge damage multipliers, the mileage it gets out of passive star/np gen, and Merlin just existing in general. And, for those willing to get more involved in their farming still, Buster farming is capable of dealing with miniboss hurdles that Arts farming can't quite handle due to its high damage.

While it is superior for half of the game, I struggle to say Arts is overall the best card type or that Castoria is the best support while Buster and Merlin still exist.

52 minutes ago, cr47t said:

rock isn't the devil's music

(i know this is a rather easy thing to present a counterargument to, since the lie/exaggeration/rumor mill has been running on overdrive for well over half a century. the challenge im intending to present is, can you make the classical counterarguments and "cases in point" look reasonable in comparison to whatever you post?)

So I spent like fifteen minutes typing up my counterargument on why rock isn't the devil's music and semi-cohesively explaining how counterculture works, and then right before I hit "Submit Reply" I realized I'm supposed to be arguing why rock is the devil's music. Oops. I'll put my argument for why it isn't in a spoiler below, but for now, let's talk about why rock & roll is written by and for devil worshippers.

Since I can't tackle this argument from a cultural standpoint without sounding like an absolute tool, I'll do it from a musical one instead. A lot of rock music (and metal, which is the "real" "devil's music") is written in the minor key, which is better at conveying negative emotions, like sadness or anger. Moreover, particularly in the case of metal, you won't have to look very far to find a tritone, which is commonly known as the devil's interval, and is believed to have the power to summon demons. Rob Scallon even wrote a song made entirely of tritones! Not exactly what a good Christian family will put on anytime soon, is it? There's also the matter of lyrics.

While it's clearly more exaggerated in the case of metal, which can commonly feature lyrics about such themes as gore, rape, and other horrid things, oldies rock isn't without its sinful lyrics either. Shooting a man or having a pretty little thing over for the night as opposed to simply admiring her are the most common cases, but I'm sure if you did some sniffing around, you could find other things in rock lyrics that the church certainly wouldn't approve of. You can still make the argument that this older "softer" rock isn't devil music, but then surely it must be something else, like criminal music.

Bonus: Why rock isn't the devil's music

Spoiler

When something new challenges the culture of the time, it will always be met with criticism from older generations. That was the case with Jesus while he was kicking it spreading his good word (Radio taught me that :D). There are records of people complaining about paper because children aren't learning how to use slates anymore, so what will happen when the world runs out of paper? As a more recent example, in the late 90s and early 2000s (and to this very day in some places), video games were believed to cause children to become more violent. In the 40s and 50s when rock & roll was getting its roots, the US had a pretty clear image of what it wanted to be like, and it really didn't like things that challenged that image, from gays, to black people, and in this case, to rock music. Basically, change is scary to people.

Since rock... well, rocked the boat, pretty significantly when it showed up, it's only natural people would try to oppose this scary new change that not only is scary change, but also challenges this image of what America should be according to America, which makes sense seeing as The Beatles were huge for the genre getting its roots and they were in fact not American. So, what can we associate rock with that's also bad? Satan, of course! "Rock is the devil's music" is the tragic offspring of the fear of cultural changes and the highly religious (particularly in the first half of the 20th Century) nation that was seeing something new and magical take form inside.

3 hours ago, yui said:

So I spent like fifteen minutes typing up my counterargument on why rock isn't the devil's music and semi-cohesively explaining how counterculture works, and then right before I hit "Submit Reply" I realized I'm supposed to be arguing why rock is the devil's music. Oops. I'll put my argument for why it isn't in a spoiler below, but for now, let's talk about why rock & roll is written by and for devil worshippers.

[goes on to list "reasons" relatively minor on the scale of bullshit intensity.]

i'm going to give you credit for giving what you've got, but all this - the lyrics arguments, tritones, the use of one-bad-all-bad (Rob Scallon is the "one bad" here) - is all pretty standard so far as arguments for this position go. i've seen and imagined many more zany arguments that not even Pazder could ever dream of (such as covert and sometimes even flat-out declarations of Dissent Bad, faking quotes from occult philosophers [not naming any 'cited'; let them rot in obscurity], tie-ins to the NWO umbrella of conspiracy theorism, etc.) But it was entertaining to read, so there's that. I'm just saying that the listings you made, in context of my challenge, were standard and even mild; at least it's on a obscure forum.

new argument (i originally had a group of them, but decided i wanted to talk about something else so now i've edited the post);

WW84 is a good film

Edited by cr47t
see post

On 2/25/2021 at 6:58 PM, cr47t said:

i'm going to give you credit for giving what you've got, but all this - the lyrics arguments, tritones, the use of one-bad-all-bad (Rob Scallon is the "one bad" here) - is all pretty standard so far as arguments for this position go. i've seen and imagined many more zany arguments that not even Pazder could ever dream of (such as covert and sometimes even flat-out declarations of Dissent Bad, faking quotes from occult philosophers [not naming any 'cited'; let them rot in obscurity], tie-ins to the NWO umbrella of conspiracy theorism, etc.) But it was entertaining to read, so there's that. I'm just saying that the listings you made, in context of my challenge, were standard and even mild; at least it's on a obscure forum.

new argument (i originally had a group of them, but decided i wanted to talk about something else so now i've edited the post);

WW84 is a good film

expecting anyone - least of all me - to be able to make "rock is the devil's music" look reasonable was your first mistake.

i haven't seen WW84 so i can't really conntest this argument. that was your second mistake.

this post is a third mistake

(also i never expected such a response to the first one to be 'reasonable' i just said it wasn't the wackiest)

Edited by cr47t
added parenthesis section

2 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

Mr Spaz should never become an admin, and if he did, he would be terrible at it.

Let's promote him. Whatever the worst that could happen is, Torm can probably fix it.

1 hour ago, cr47t said:

this post is a third mistake

(also i never expected such a response to the first one to be 'reasonable' i just said it wasn't the wackiest)

No, this is your fourth mistake. Upon rereading, your first mistake was your piss-poor phrasing in the "rock is the devil's music" post. You can try to blame me for this, but I managed to misunderstand your post not once, but twice. The first time is on me, but if I read it carefully and still miss important details, that's on you.

42 minutes ago, Saikazo said:

You shouldn't do your best to get Kingprotea.

Of course I should. She has an AoE Buster Noble Phantasm that - while she has any amount of Growth stacks - does damage comparable to single-target NPs. Her Alter Ego class is hard to come by, making SSRs in this class highly valuable against those pesky Assassin enemies since Casters just don't cut it half the time. And, she makes the big stats monkey in my brain go "hee hoo much health me happy." Not to mention she's cute as fuck and if she's here with us, that means she's not in the Moon Cell with BB, who probably doesn't treat her very well. Besides, I've got plenty of time before DWs bombards me with a million Quick Servants I want, so if I dip a bit of my monthly paychecks into Saint Quartz after Kingprotea's banner, it should all be a-okay.

Bonus: Why I shouldn't

Spoiler

Pragmatically speaking, you're right, I shouldn't. I have three SR Servants and two SSRs (and some GudaGuda 3-stars) I want to roll for later this year, a must-NP5 SR and 4-5 SSRs next year, and another SSR in early 2023. And that's assuming Delight Works doesn't throw more Servants at us that I want to roll for by the time my roll streak to be is over. Shelling out for yet another SSR on a gacha with no pity system, who I'll have no trouble finding on friend supports anyway, just doesn't seem practical. Especially since I'd also have to put in the resources to raise her, when I don't even have the embers set aside to raise BB for the mission once I've finished the main story of CCC. Kingprotea demands resources I don't have and money I should probably hang on to for when 2022 comes for my ass, so the practical course of action would be to take the L on her banner.

Edited by yui

8 hours ago, Mr Spaz said:

YCMaker was a bad admin

But he's updating the cardmaker!