Sign in to follow this  
The Chayncemaniac

Scariest non horror movie scenes

A lot of scenes come to mind, but I remember this one in particular gave me an actual phobia of whales:

and while we're on this movie, I completely forgot about this one. It never really traumatized me as a kid, but watching it again is legitimately disturbing:

4 minutes ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

I had forgotten how scary the whole monsto scene was, watching him turn around almost on a dime would scare tf out of me

Totally, but the thing about that scene is that it used to scare me as a kid, but after knowing how it was animated, watching it is just baffling now.

4 minutes ago, Thar said:

Totally, but the thing about that scene is that it used to scare me as a kid, but after knowing how it was animated, watching it is just baffling now.

How it was hand painted? Yeah definitely 

The Act of Killing is a documentary about when the Indonesian govenrnment (backed by western powers) hired gangsters to round up and execute enemies of the state (alleged leftists and ethnic minorities) in 1965. That's horrifying enough, obviously, but the way these gangsters are treated in the present of the film is equally disturbing; right-wing militias surround and idolize these people, for example, so there never is any reason to feel remorse.

Honestly, the way the film documents these people, there's this feeling of distance in the film, I think. The disturbing nature is either deliberately embellished to an outlandish degree by the premise or by nature of the gangsters being our points of view and only expositors for most of the runtime. I certainly felt like that when I watched it. I believe this is a deliberate choce by director Joshua Oppenheimer, so that when the artifice is shattered, when Anwar Congo finally does start to feel the weight of his actions, it hits all the harder.

The final scene is difficult to watch and I'm not going to link it without context, but those are my thoughts on that.

I struggled to think of something from a movie I actually saw...and then remembered a certain scene (Skip to 0:25 to get to it faster):

2 minutes ago, Nyx said:

I struggled to think of something from a movie I actually saw...and then remembered a certain scene (Skip to 0:25 to get to it faster):

I just had to move it to 0:25 and before I even watched it I remembered it....

another one that comes to mind for me in the same franchise is this, mainly when I was a kid it scared me

32 minutes ago, The Chayncemaniac said:

I just had to move it to 0:25 and before I even watched it I remembered it....

another one that comes to mind for me in the same franchise is this, mainly when I was a kid it scared me

The scene where Syd was gonna go outside to blow up Buzz, but was rained out: the thunder used to scare me as a kid. Yes, I was THAT scared of thunder back then.

Syd's room, though, yeah... that was also pretty unsettling.

For me, as a child, I really liked Ice Age 2:The Meltdown, and I think that it is the best Ice Age. However, the scene where the alligator thing's eye snaps open after 20 seconds of suspenseful music really freaked me out, and I think solidified my dislike of suspense in most forms of media. There's also a behind the scenes short with one of the first three, and there's a scene of Scrat, the prehistoric sabertooth squirrel, trapped in ice, and then it's eye snaps open and it screams, and I remember that scaring me too.

We're just all gonna not talk about the Aragog scene from Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets? Would link, but I don't want to even look it up. What's childhood trauma without giant spiders dropping down on a car while an even bigger giant spider says he's gonna feed the hero and his bestie to his thousands of spider babies?

Goodbye, friends of Hagrid.

Edited by yui

9 hours ago, yui said:

We're just all gonna not talk about the Aragog scene from Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets? Would link, but I don't want to even look it up. What's childhood trauma without giant spiders dropping down on a car while an even bigger giant spider says he's gonna feed the hero and his bestie to his thousands of spider babies?

Goodbye, friends of Hagrid.

Very true, that scene is agoraphobia in a can, though I've never really been that bothered by spiders, so it never really affected me that much. Though I will admit, the shot of that first big spider dangling from a web always gets me.

though there's another scene that I'd like to mention: the dead marshes from Lord of the Rings

going off on Nyx's post, another example of build-up with closed eyes with the eye-opening jumpscare. then to boot, you get what I think is always a stressful shot when the character is underwater and struggling to make it to the surface, and these creepy-ass phantoms are approaching you trying to pull you under. never failed to make me uncomfortable

Edited by Thar

Um...would it be okay for me to share a scene that didn't necessarily scare me when I saw it as a kid? I saw this movie, but never gave this scene a second thought until I was in my teens and a YouTube channel or two referenced it (also, don't worry, it's only silent within the first 10 seconds; there's sound afterwards):

Spoiler

I don't know how I downplayed this scene back when I was little:

Edited by Nyx

i'd nominate finale of Rear Window, and a few scenes from M [1931, dir. Fritz Lang] such as the "Elsie!" montage, and of course the trial at the end. (it's actually really good)