Sign in to follow this  
cr47t

One billion lions vs one billion lions' weight in neutron star matter

Alright, let's do some math, shall we?

First, we'll assume the lions in question are all male, so the average weight of each lion would be about 420 lbs, converted to a mass of 190.5 kg, so the total mass of the lions would add up to 190.5 billion kg.

Next, let's look at the mass of the smallest neutron star. The one in question has a Schwarzschild Radius of 2.6 km, which equates to 0.8802 suns. For the sake of brevity, that amounts to roughly 1.75e30 (1.75 x 10^30) kg.

To put that in perspective, if we divide 1.905e11 by 1.75e30, and apply that ratio to the 2.6 km radius of the smallest known neutron star, that means the star the lions are up against would be 2.8e-14 cm in radius, creating a gravitational field with a pull of 1.59e34 m/s^2, about 1.61e31 times Earth's gravity.

So the lions would essentially be up against what's really damn close to a black hole, which would absolutely CRUSH all those lions to a fine paste before they're incinerated to dust by the star's solar energy.

EDIT: Another thing to note would be that whatever mass from the lions compiled around the nugget would likely cause a decrease in the energy required to keep it compressed, causing it to explode. So whatever lions weren't already crushed by its gravity would just be blasted to oblivion by the nova.

So yeah, I'd say the star wins. Thoughts?

Edited by Thar

well... i wasn't thinking an actual star, given that the mass of all humans would fit into the size of a sugar cube (roughly) in neutron star matter - i was thinking it would be closet to that. was i wrong?

10 hours ago, cr47t said:

well... i wasn't thinking an actual star, given that the mass of all humans would fit into the size of a sugar cube (roughly) in neutron star matter - i was thinking it would be closet to that. was i wrong?

idk what you meant, but in any case, anything with that much mass at that size would fuck with the space around it cause in order to stay that dense, it needs to remain compressed with a massive amount of force, but I assume this battle is taking place in a survivable environment, in which case the compression would be compromised by the atmosphere and the star matter would just explode and destroy everything in its radius

so I guess technically it'd be a draw, unless I'm mistaken

On 4/22/2021 at 5:01 AM, Thar said:

idk what you meant, but in any case, anything with that much mass at that size would fuck with the space around it cause in order to stay that dense, it needs to remain compressed with a massive amount of force, but I assume this battle is taking place in a survivable environment, in which case the compression would be compromised by the atmosphere and the star matter would just explode and destroy everything in its radius

so I guess technically it'd be a draw, unless I'm mistaken

But what if there is a roof?