Sign in to follow this  
Nyx

Video games you got stuck on

Was there ever a place in a game or something else that was impeding your progress in a game? Maybe you got to an area and didn't know how to get past it. Maybe you got lost. Maybe you softlocked yourself. Whatever the case, feel free to share your experiences!

ec63eb760e5563dea2eac55a83f8b477.gif

Lost Odyssey, a part where you fight Kaiju on a boat, I tried it a couple times and kept failing. Meant to go back after seeing what strategy was best and never did.

Same with the very last battle in the very last route in Armored Core For Answer

I got stuck in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 for YEARS. FUCK Carnival Night Zone! Only 4 years ago, I picked up Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles, and looked up how to get past that stupid barrel-thing.

I also got lost in any Legend of Zelda game I've ever played. To this day, I've beat a grand total of zero of them.

Then there's Valyria Chronicles. Never made it far. I kept getting my tank blown up in the desert.

I softlocked myself in the bonus case for the first Ace Attorney game once. An unfortunate side-effect of this is my opinion on Jake Marshall gradually going from "ambivalent" to "I despise this poser with every fibre of my being" over the course of many hours and scanning/inspecting every item and taking every possible avenue of interaction with every NPC many, many times.

Edited by yui

Not recently, but I remember on my very first playthough of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas... if you've read this far and played San Andreas, you know exactly where I'm going with this... Wrong Side of the Tracks is still one of my LEAST favorite missions in the GTA franchise... and also... same game... Supply Lines... I absolutely HATED both of those missions, to the point where I shelved the game for a few months after being unsuccessful a couple of times... then the crazy part is, after I shelved it, I picked it up once I remembered it and I breezed through both of those missions with ease... still to this day I don't know how that happened...

Relatively early in Dragon quest V. There was a fork in the road with the ruins of a town nearby (you'd come from a location in the south at this point in the story), one of your party members has a reason to go west. To the east is a dead-end and a small, uninteresting town you visited before; some plot relevent character have been replaced by generic NPCs.

NPCs behind a counter generally have little important information to share (just selling stuff, or asking whether you'd wish to stay at the inn), just serving the purpose of shop or location to heal back up. Of the inns available to your party at this point in the game, the one to the east is the most expensive, and the south the cheapest. All shops have roughly the same items in stock.

So, of course, you needed to go north, east, rest at the inn there, and then go west, rather than go north then east. Silly me.

I tend to drop games pretty easily even at the slightest bit of frustration, so it's hard to narrow it down to the more significant occurrences.

One time in particular is the Desert of the Knaaren in Rayman 3. I remember not knowing how to get past the first room once I entered the temple. The Knaaren are literally invulnerable to attacks, and the game feels like it glitches a bit whenever I'm hit by them. It was both frustrating and very unsettling at the time and I just couldn't figure it out, so I stopped playing for several years before picking it back up again only to realize there was a crack in the wall to get to the next room. I beat it without much issue after that point (but those chicken ghosts can still go fuck themselves.)

Another time I remember is Witcher 3. I pre-ordered it and played up until the werewolf mission under the house, and the werewolf would slaughter me every time even after I grinded other missions to level up, so I stopped playing and sold the game after so many failed tries. A couple years later I bought it again on Steam and found out about the mutation system that I never used somehow. Not my smartest moment.

Edited by Thar

Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker. No matter what, I still can’t seem to get enough head components to complete Zeke to unlock the Paz boss fight.