Zai

Yu-Gi-Oh! Skies [IC/PG-16]

OP

H9XJEXQ.png

Episode 3: Clouds

The time had finally come. What time, the freshmen of Blue Yonder may have asked? Why, club recruitment week! That special five-day span near the beginning of the school year where the school clubs went all-out, putting up posters, booths, and more to try and reel in as many new members as they possibly could! And indeed, quite a bit of club efforts were meant to incentivize freshmen to join. With the school day for today having let out, now was the time for students to look for clubs to join, or for those already in clubs to try recruiting new members. Despite the excitement though, there seemed to be a dreary undercurrent running through campus; a small twinge of sadness in spite of everything else.

Like move-in day a week and a half before, campus was crowded with stalls and activities. Instead of diversions meant to entertain families and new students though, each and every one was perfectly engineered to attract students so that they could sign away on that all-important piece of paper (and several of their precious free hours every week). For some it was subtle, others extravagant, but every single one had the heart and soul of its members poured into it. As was tradition.

6kzOarD.png

Club recruitment was in full swing this week. Which, under any other circumstance, wouldn't have been a problem. However, the swim team was also a club, and because of that, the pool wasn't exactly available for recreational use, which was a problem. While she didn't mind swimming in more natural(?) bodies of water near the school, the pool had the added advantage of being more away from the public eye. She could have done with a quick swim today, but instead settled for simply ordering some Tito's. She was just now getting back onto campus, even if today felt like it would have been a good day to go exploring a bit.

Today, she was busy with something...

A few days ago; CoffeeCards...

This latest guy was different because he looked like he was here for something besides coffee. Also, his outfit was stupid. Kyouko nearly spat out the final sip of her coffee on seeing the guy, trying her best not to laugh that someone would wear that in public.

"And here I thought the entertainment duelists at our school had some dumb getups," she couldn't help but comment.

"Like the Kamen Rider, right?" Sai added. "I really can't imagine how he walks in public with that..,"

Why was he looking at the people at Kyouko's table? And coming this way? Kyouko deliberately turned her eyes away from the man in the stupid costume and to her drink, sipping it down. He was still there, right at the edge of the table. She could feel him looking at her. Go away.

"Miss Kyouko Izumi, I presume?"

Just don't look at him and he'll buzz off, Kyouko thought to herself, thumb tapping against the table surface. The next thing she knew, she felt sometehing against her hand. It felt like cloth, but the shape of it felt like a pair of lips. Looking back at her hand, she found the guy, kissing her hand through that dumb mask thing over his mouth. Kyouko reflexively yanked her hand away, before bringing it forward again to punch the man as hard as she could. However, his head had already moved, and Kyouko's fist not only missed its mark, but very nearly slammed directly into one of the fine people she was sitting across from.

"Personal space," she spat. "You should keep that sort of thing in mind."

“Glad to have your attention. Allow me to introduce myself. You may call me Raven, and I have come here for the express purpose of challenging you to a contest of skill, my lady.”

Contest of skill? Kyouko had never been much the dextrous type, always more the type to solve problems with sheer force if they ever came up. Not sorry, but if it’s for someone who tries to make a first impression like that, I think I’ll pass.” Kyouko guzzled down the rest of her drink, casting a judgmental glare at this Raven person.

“Allow me to clarify then. I mean to challenge you to a duel.”

“If you meant a duel, then just say so in the first place. I’m sure there are pretty girls in whatever wackjob part of town you’re from who like a guy that beats around the bush like that, but I’m not one of them. So, why me of all people? ...and for that matter, how did you know I was here to begin with?” This guy was a creep beyond redemption, wasn’t he?

“A true master never reveals his secrets, but let us just say it is my job to be in the know, and that I know a great many things. You do wish to pay me back for invading your space, do you not?” She couldn’t make out his facial expression, but the look in his eyes conveyed all the smarm necessary for the desired effect.

How did I let that creep convince me to take up his duel? She was sure he'd try to cheat in some way. If he even showed up in the first place! Needless to say, with today being the day he'd promised to show up, the nerves from that meeting were coming back to Kyouko. He was apparently a good enough stalker to find people no problem, no matter where they may have been, so it wasn't like Kyouko had to worry about going out of her way to find him. As she absentmindedly chewed on the bite of taco already in her mouth, taking some time to savor the taste, before a distinct bumping sound snapped her out of her mindless meandering.

Her feet had guided her up to the roof of the school building, and peeking out through the cracked-open door, there was a boy lying there, looking up at the clouds. Was he brain-damaged? Trying to be? Lying in that spot was just flat-out stupid. "Hey," she flatly said, looking down at the boy on the floor. "You stupid or something? That's a great spot to lie down if you like people opening doors onto your head."

Edited by Yui

Gabby was up early that day. As she was most days. She had to wake up before her roommate did so that she could clean up and pretend to go back to sleep until her roommate's alarm went off. "A princess of darkness does not rise for the sun. The sun rises for her."

After this she got dressed. While outwardly the girl scoffed at the uniform and it's "horrible blandness" she inwardly was thrilled that she got to add something so nice to her incredibly small wardrobe.

Leaving the dorm she thought it would be a simple case of heading to where the Duel Team had set up shop and asking to sign up. She already knew one of the members, though Gabby was certain she didn't leave a good impression, but she had been foiled in her attempts to greet the leader. The talented young man had left the duel shortly after winning with a look of disappointment.
A look which Gabby couldn't help but think about as she made her way to campus. Was he disappointed in his opponent? She had done some incredible things so perhaps the Duel Team's standards were just that high.

While she fretted she almost didn't notice what was waiting for her as she arrived on campus.

And then a flyer for a club, gardening, was shoved in her face. And suddenly an avalanche of club members were on her. Her small frame made it difficult to push her way through and it wasn't long before she was lost in a sea of recruiters and papers. "Ack, un..unhand me, mongrels! I am Gabriela princess of-" she couldn't finish the sentence as yet another enthusiastic club member grabbed her by the hand and rapidly listed the pros of her own club, for a sport Gabby had never heard of, and Gabriela found that even her usually authoritative tone was no match for this group.

It may take a while to get to the Duel Team after all.

f8OzT6y.jpg?1

iU8EggM.png

Souji found himself on the roof of the school as he stared at the clouds overhead. The highlights of the Duel the day prior still playing over in his mind. Seeing Hitomu in action again after a long while actually made him happy. That guy was the one student in the school he was gunning and aspiring to...well, just the addition of being an Entertainment Duelist on his side, but that was beside the point. Not only that, it was obvious that the girl, Elizabeth, had some pretty good talent as a Duelist as well.

However, this all brought him here to this moment. School Club Recruitment Week. He had been lulling it over in his mind for sometime now... Should I actually entertain the idea and actually join the Duel Team? he thought, sighing lowly, still watching the clouds. Maybe he could...after all, he as himself and not his Entertainment Duelist persona needed to shine in the spotlight too from time to ti-

THUD!

".....OW!!" Souji groaned as he felt something hit his head. He reeled upward almost immediately, holding his head after removing his fedora. He glanced back, seeing what hit his head. The door to the roof... ....shit...I actually forgot I was laying right there... he thought, grumbling.

"Hey. You stupid or something? That's a great spot to lie down if you like people opening doors onto your head."

Souji glanced again and saw a young girl, being the one who opened the door and spoke to him in such the harsh manner. "T-Tch...jeez that hurt. For your information...I'm not stupid. Just ended up forgetting where I was laying down is all." he spoke, still rubbing his head. "Plus no one else comes up this direction around this time...so never had to deal with that before."

Ah club recruitment week, what a wonderful time for it. And already five people had run out of Alison's tent screaming, though it could hardly be considered her fault. If you were terrified from merely being told the exact time and date of your death and how you will go out, then clearly you were not ready for the club. Sadly that was also the same number of visitors she had received thus far, so it would appear it may not be in the cards to find a new member. Ah well.

Tentatively rising from her chair, Alison's body tense from the tremors in her arms, waiting for them to pass. And once they add, she rubbed herself gingerly, the girl strolled out of the tent, her robe sticking out like a sore thumb as everyone went past, or rather, flocked to the Duel Team next door. Every year they somehow got stuck next to each other; it must be fate. Alison scoffed at that notion, but did still smile a little. The problem was just how much traffic it garnered. Anyways. "Fortune-telling! One trading card for fortune-telling!" she called, making her pitch and waiting for anyone to come.

MM6dyYE.png?1

Jun was never fond of club fair week. Her first year had been fun, when being a prospective young student looking for something fun to do. The second year, and now this year as well, had proven to be less than enjoyable. After all, she was already part of a club that took up her time as it was, so it wasn't like she wanted to join any more of them. Beyond that, her options for the rest of the day were either sit at a table or go around and try to assert herself on more people to have them join their club. While, sure she was all for meeting new people and making new friends, she didn't exactly want to have to compete with the rest of the student body to get club members. With Yusuji already part of an art club and Kyouko constantly being tracked down by the swim team, Jun couldn't exactly hang out with either of them during her walks around the campus either. Even worse was the fact that she had been a bit worried about what Kyouko had gotten mixed up in today, and annoyed that she couldn't accompany her for such a thing. 

In her lamenting, the girl had begun walking around campus, trying to look for the isolated few she could just hand a flier to when she noticed a few people in the sea of those who were promoting their own club. While normally she'd leave the, likely, freshmen to their fate, there was a familiar looking one that caught her eye. With a smile on her face, the girl marched her way through the crowd, wading to the familiar looking girl. Putting her hand on her shoulder she said, "hey there Gabby! Would you like to - " 

"Would the both of you like to -" Jun was interrupted by some other recruiter coming towards them, only to let out a small eep as Jun gave the man a glare that sent a shiver through him. Jun had picked up a few things living with Kyouko. 

"Ahem, as I was saying. Hey there Gabby!" Were the girl to look at Jun it might have taken a moment or two for her to recognize the girl, both because of how little they had actually hung out together and because Jun was wearing her own jacket provided by the duel team, the sleeves extending past her hands. Even more startling was that her hat seemed to be a color that matched her jacket now, instead of its usual black. "So how would you," the girl shoved a flier into Gabriela's face saying, "like to join the duel team? It's a whole lot of fun and you there's a ton of fun people on it. Like, well," as Jun tried to think of her other teammates she looked at the girl and said,"oh, there's Captain. He's cool, maybe a little weird here and there but that just means you're a perfect for the club. And he's at the table so I'm sure you can talk to him this time."

qaVE33T.png

Day 1 of club week was near the top of Yusuji’s arbitrary list of favorite days of the year, just below any given day with a friend and followed by days 2 through 5 of club week in no particular order. Yesterday had been even higher, with it having gone for the double combo of more time with Jun AND at least 3 new friends!

Right now, however, Yusuji was alone, having pulled the short straw of walking around to hand out flyers for the art club. Normally she didn’t mind people interaction, but people just seemed so busy today for some reason, and not in the mood for new friends. Sometimes people didn’t even respond to her offers to join the club! Perhaps day 2 of this week would be better, but still, the day was young, the artificial sun was high, and Yusuji’s optimism refused to be dampened.

For a while, she continued to wander, alternating between her assigned job and just admiring the many different stalls that littered the school's property. Eventually, her eyes lay on the duel team's, one which Yusuji had been badgered by Jun to join but had never really got around to it. Maybe now would be a good time. Even better, maybe she could find Jun and the pair could do some cross-combo-promotion! After all, it was right there, just past the...

“Wow.” Yusuji breathed, taking in the darkly extravagant tent positioned right next to the duel team's booth. She didn’t recognize the club it belonged to, but was more overwhelmed by its design, with intricate runes and arcane text. She had had no idea so much could be done much with the one color of black. With her eyes still locked on the mass of canvas, the paintress dug around in her abnormally large apron, searching for whatever notepad she’d remembered to take to her club’s stall today.

“One trading card for fortune-telling!" called out the shortest of the cloaked figures, her face obscured by the dark robes.

The scouring hand changed its mission at top speed, instead picking out something that seemed vaguely card shaped.

“I’ve got one!” Yusuji called, pulling out the card as she hurried over. And people said she needed to clean out her apron pockets more often. Fortune telling sounded fun, and this way Yusuji would have something else interesting to tell Jun when she finally got to see her. It was only yesterday the pair had met Gabriella with her dark, mysterious past; maybe this was something she'd like as well. And hey, the girl in this club was asking for conversation too. Day 1 definitely still had hope! 

"Hi, I'm Yusuji, nice to meet you!" Yusuji said brightly, extending both an open hand and the one holding the card. "What sort of fortune stuff do we get to do?"

"What sort of fortune stuff do we get to do?"

Alison turned her hand to the outstretched card, keeping the hood of her cloak obscuring her eyes. "My, what have we here?" she muttered, taking the painter's hands.

Sweeping the card with one hand, Alison clasped Yusuji's hand with the other, and seemed to take interest in the leylines of her hands; the bit not covered in paint anyways. "Curious," she spoke, pocketing the card and stroking the artist's hand, "quite curious. I see here the life lines of an artist, a dreamer, a hopeful. Yeeeeesssss~ I see that I hold the hand of a shining Star. But will this be a shooting star? Or a falling one? Let us confide in Fate. Come little Star, come and see what your future holds" Alison said with a mystical air, her hands gently sliding off of Yusuji's so that she could glide in the tent.

Taking her seat, the mystic finally raised her cowl to stare at Yusuji. "Come and take a seat my Star."

"No, no, I swear. Cloud Watching Club isn't nearly as boring as it sounds."

Gabriela just barely managed to push past them when another boy ambushed her. Though he was sent scurrying by...Was that the Jun girl?

"Ahem, as I was saying. Hey there Gabby!"

Yes, it was. Gabby felt relief as someone she knew, if barely, approached her. However Gabriela scowled at her, trying to keep composure even with the people pressing on her, though they seemed less enthusiastic now that Jun was on the scene, and responded snappily. "Gabriela. And good day, you're that Captain's comrade correct?"

"So how would you," the girl shoved a flier into Gabriela's face saying, "like to join the duel team? It's a whole lot of fun and you there's a ton of fun people on it. Like, well,"

Jun seemed to have to think about it a bit, not the best sign, before speaking again. "oh, there's Captain. He's cool, maybe a little weird here and there but that just means you're a perfect for the club. And he's at the table so I'm sure you can talk to him this time."

"Hmph, as a matter of fact I planned on blessing the Duel Team with my noble presence. It seems to be the club that most fits my needs. If I'm to determine this place's worth I'll need to know more about how you duel. Very well, take me to him posthaste."

There was a collective groan from the people around. Some of them still tried to get some last minute recruiting but Gabriela, feeling more confident with Jun there, shot them a look and shooed them away. Jun brought Gabriela over to where the Duel Team's table was, which was a bit difficult as Gabriela insisted on not being led "Like a common hound" despite not knowing where she was going.

They eventually reached it and the girl hesitated as she saw the captain sitting there, speaking with prospective new members. The girl took a deep breath and marched up to the table. Standing in front of it, hands on her hips, she looked at him, slightly to the side as she couldn't meet his eyes, and asked "You're the one who ripped my bag of nourishment during that duel were you not? I fully expect you to repay me for that."

Stupid, Gabby, stupid. You're supposed to be making friends and joining a club not demanding a bag of chips.

"Oh, and, I suppose I, Princess Gabriela Von Draculesti, Third of her name, Keeper of the Key, Angel of the Dark, Crown Princess of Romvania, would be willing to allow you to have me on your team."

Melissa had almost made it! The emphasis was still on “almost,” sure, but her door was in view, at least. She’d had to look away from both the person holding the door for her and the sign right next to them that said DO NOT LET STRANGERS INTO THE DORMS but she had done it and now, finally, only a single door remained. Melissa just hoped Hoshiko was home. She had to be, right? Sure, she seemed like the type of person to stay out late, but it seemed like everybody had been watching the duel. Would Hoshiko really be the sole exception?

Melissa tried to swallow her fear, but it just got caught on a lump in her throat. Or maybe the fear was the lump? Either way, it kept her standing outside her dorm just a little longer. She did knock eventually, though, just a quick rat-tat-tat before taking a step back and waiting for a response.

Hoshiko opened the door after only a bit of waiting, though with the towel over her right shoulder and shampoo bottle in her left it looked like Melissa might have been interrupting some pre-bathing preparations. Still, Hoshiko seemed cheerful enough “Hi!” she said, and gestured for Melissa to come inside. “Sooo… how was your day?”

Um, fine,” said Melissa. She wanted to say more, but she bit her tongue. Was this an actual conversation or small talk? She scratched her head a little. Hoshiko was obviously happy to see her, which was nice, but she couldn’t be sure how much of that was “actually friendly” and not “generally cordial.” But as the silence stretched on, ever increasing in awkwardness, she finally broke. “Sorry to interrupt, um, you’re about to use the shower? I forgot my key this morning and, uh, yeah, that’s why I had to knock,” she said. She almost immediately regretted it, but she said it.

“Oh don’t worry about it,” Hoshiko said, brushing one of her bangs out of her face. “Well, then it’s pretty fortunate I got here first, right?” She giggled a bit as the two walked into the room. As she closed the door, she continued to speak. “Anyways yeah, I was about to shower. Do you need to use the bathroom before I do?” she said, gesturing towards the restroom. 

Maybe to scream a little-” She did manage to catch that one, wedging it against the lump in her throat so that it only came out as a coughing fit. That lasted for a good, solid, moment, but when she finally came up for air, she managed to change it to “Maybe just a glass of water.” But of course the coughs came back and she doubled over into her elbow again. With her free arm, she gestured over to her desk where she already had the glass set up. “Could you- sorry.” She hacked out another few coughs. “Sorry, could you get it for me?

Hoshiko was already on it. “A-Are you okay!?” she said, loud enough to hear over the running tap. Not that she gave Melissa any time to answer; by the time Melissa was ready, Hoshiko was already back, full glass in hand.

Melissa drained her cup, took a few deep breaths, and looked back at Hoshiko. “Thank you, I’m fine,” she said. “Thanks for the water, I don’t know what, uh, what happened there, sorry. Um, anyway, how was your day?

“Oh, it was wonderful!” Hoshiko said, whatever concern she’d had clearly melting off her face. “I met some lovely people at the café nearby and saw a beautiful duel!” She looked at Melissa with her head slightly cocked to the side. “Oh, did you see the big duel too?”

I did,” said Melissa. “I, um, I was actually so close the duel space hit a chips bag I had.” She left out the part where Gabriela went off at Hitomu. She wasn’t going to speak ill of someone she didn’t really know yet.

She had another cough but was able to get to the sink herself this time. “Sorry,” she said. “Um, oh, I’m keeping you from your shower, aren’t I?

Hoshiko hopped up on her bed. “No, no! Not at all,” she said. “The shower can wait. I’d rather talk with you right now.” She paused a moment smiling at Melissa, maybe chuckling a little to herself as well. “So, you were at the duel? Shame I didn’t see you there… then again, I didn’t see much of anyone, really. Guess I chose the wrong seat! Make any new friends?”

Hoshiko was laughing about it, but each laugh just made Melissa feel guiltier and guiltier. Of course Hoshiko was at the duel! She’d been operating most of the day with the “everybody’s at the duel” premise, but for some reason had left Hoshiko out of that “everybody.” Why didn’t she look for her then? Even if Hoshiko had wanted to stay for the duel (Melissa reasoned she wouldn’t be able or willing to convince her otherwise), Melissa finding her would have given her somebody to sit by at the very least. “I’m sorry, I should have looked for you,” Melissa said. But that did remind her of another thought she’d had that day. “Um, we should probably swap numbers so if we do need to find each other, um, we can.” She took out her phone. “I can just, um, do you want mine first?

“Oh… oh!” Hoshiko said. It looked to Melissa like she was blushing a little too, which was reassuring since, you know, it meant she probably felt at least a little bad about forgetting. It was either that or Hoshiko was faking it, which, while unlikely, was still a thought that wormed its way into Melissa’s head. Either way, Hoshiko had pulled out her phone, which had a vibrant pink case with a small, white bunny hanging off of it. She fiddled around on it for a moment, then looked back up at Melissa and said, “Whenever you’re ready.”

Okay, it’s, uh, you said you were ready? Uh, six six nine, that’s the area code, and then two two one, six two five one.” As she watched Hoshiko punch in the numbers, she added, “Um, but no, you asked if I’d made any friends, sorry, uh, I met some people, but I’m not sure if we’re actually friends yet. Um, what’s your number?

“Don’t worry too much about it,” Hoshiko said as she started typing in a text to Melissa. “Meeting people is the first step to making friends, after all!”

Melissa felt her pocket vibrate. Checking her phone yielded the message:

Heeeeey, this is Hoshiko. (▰∀◕)ノ

I’ll, um, thanks,” Melissa said, as she added Hoshiko to her contacts. “I’ll keep that in mind.

Have mercy on me, Oh Lord, a sinner.
Wipe away my transgressions,
    and let me be reborn anew in your glory
Help me turn away from sin,
    and move towards your eternal light.

Lord, I thank you for today, as I thank you for every day.
Thank you for giving me the courage to deal with adversity,
    and thank you for the wisdom and insight to show compassion.
When I rise tomorrow, I ask for that same strength and purity of purpose
    and let me continue to spread your word.

In the name of The Father, and of The Son, and of The Holy Spirit,
Amen

Wednesday, September 13, 909 PD
Feast of Saint Venerius the Hermit

“What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”
-James 2:14-17 (NIV)

Connor, Melissa decided, was being kind of a jerk. Instead of the last week’s “go out into the world” approach -- which, while terrible, would at least have been consistent! -- he had set up a sort of shift schedule with not only times for each member of the Community Service Club to man the table, but also times for each of them to go around handing out the leftover pamphlets from last week’s festival. Now, Melissa knew the separate club sign-up “jamborees” (as Connor had put it) weren’t entirely his fault, but she still blamed him for basically creating obligations for her without her consent. She wouldn’t have minded so much if it weren’t for, well, the exact same reasons that had made last week’s a struggle to get through.

There was one benefit, though. Because Connor had gone and given everyone specific times they had to be at or near the club booth, that meant for a good long while, at least, she had to be at the booth. None of this wandering through crowds stuff, and with comparatively fewer people looking to join a comparatively mundane club as oppose to the flashier Duel Team or really any other team, for that matter, that meant she had much more time to just be by herself. A whole lot more time to just be.

It couldn’t last, of course. After what was probably an hour (even if it felt significantly shorter) of half trying to attract new members and half, you know, avoiding even the most casual of glances like the plague, Melissa was in the middle of doing the latter when she felt her phone buzz.

To: Melissa, Jennifer, Tim

Shift change. Jen your up.

To: Melissa, Connor, Tim

Brt

To: Melissa, Jennifer, Tim

That means Melissas next on flyers.

And again she was called into the crowd, which she approached like an agoraphobic swimmer looking out over the diving board. Just like last week, she had a handful of flyers and not really anywhere specific to go. Just like last week, too, she was doing so at the behest of Connor. Unlike last week, though, well, at least she’d been warned in advance this time.

Jennifer seemed to be in good spirits, at least. “Hiya, Mel!” she said. “How’s things?”

I dunno, alright,” said Melissa.

“Any sign-ups?”

A couple. I don’t think, uh, I don’t think they’ll show up more than a few meetings though. I dunno. Maybe I wasn’t paying too much attention but I thought I could just tell.

“Huh,” Jennifer said. “I mean, if you say so. You gonna be okay with the flyers stuff? I know crowds aren’t exactly your thing.”

Oh, you know me,” said Melissa. In her head, she added, “Always making myself miserable,” though she didn’t say it out loud. Instead, she took her pamphlets, gave a quick nod to Jennifer as she took her seat -- the kind of nod that said, “Good luck” and not much else -- took a breath and pressed into the crowd.

“Pressed into the crowd” was kind of an overstatement. Sure, she really did try, but then she’d get jostled around by people squeezing past her, not even taking notice of the literature in her hand. And when that didn’t happen, she’d picture it happening, people avoiding her outstretched arm as they maneuvered to whatever person or place they deemed more interesting than she.

Not that Melissa could blame them, of course. She could imagine a world where the roles were switched, and she certainly would avoid as many hands-jammed-in-faces as possible even if one of them did have something she could be interested in.

Perhaps then, this wasn’t the best tactic. Nobody liked random literature and Melissa certainly didn’t like handing it out. She’d hated it the week before and she hated it now. But a thought did occur to her, the only reason she did it last week was Connor forcing her to reach out to new people (and the ensuing few days certainly had lead to plenty of that!) Now, though, all she had to do was spread the word that the club existed at all. So if she just pinned up a few pamphlets around campus, well, wouldn’t that do the trick?

Her first stop was CoffeeCards. Surely they had space somewhere to fit a pamphlet or two, she reasoned, and that might attract a few eyeballs if pinned appropriately. It was a quick enough job, though Melissa did have to go back and ask the barista if they had any spare thumbtacks, which was as mortifying a prospect as it sounded. She only managed because the alternative was stealing some already hung up there, which, well, in the battle between guilt and embarrassment, guilt proved the stronger threat.

As she turned to leave, though she recognized a young woman sitting in the corner of the room, coffee clutched in one hand, some card or another in her other, and another forty cards or so splayed out in seemingly random fashion on the table in front of her. It was the girl that had challenged Hitomu. Her name was Elizabeth, right?

Again, Melissa hesitated. She really didn’t want to be speaking to too many people at the moment (at every moment?) but, on the other hand, if she didn’t at least approach the girl, the thought that she could have helped in some way would eat at her for the rest of the day. She was representing the Community Service club, right? Shouldn’t she serve her community?

She’s going to say, ‘I’m fine,’” Melissa thought, or maybe she said it under her breath. “She’s going to hate you for even asking and someone’s going to notice you and laugh at you and suddenly you’re going to be the laughingstock of the whole shop. Maybe even the whole school if someone’s got a camera somewhere.” But even as her voice tried to persuade her against it, Melissa still found herself making her way slowly towards the corner where Elizabeth sat. Pretty soon, Melissa was standing right at the table.

Um, sorry, are you okay?” Melissa said.

Edited by radio414

qaVE33T.png

The girl's demeanour, while not off-putting, was powerful enough to quiet down Yusuji for the first time today. The fortune-teller made the simple of act of moving a hand over a palm an art, with her fingers gliding over intricate patterns, unseen except by the reader. An artist in her own right.

"I see that I hold the hand of a shining Star."

"Wow..." breathed Yusuji again in awe. The tent and cloak in front of her were dark, yet the the girl's tone seemed to be drifting from some sort of higher plane. Or something. Yusuji had never really looked into the occult, save for occasionally copying the picture of a pretty tarot card, and had probably not even used the word, so this...performance...was completely new to her.

"Come and take a seat my Star. "

By the time the paintress had snapped back to reality, the mysterious girl was already seated within her tent, the shadows obscuring all save for a soft glow seeming to emanate from in front of her. Filled with excitement yet unsure as to what she was supposed to do, Yusuji virtually bounced through the concealing curtain, struggling to contain herself. She pulled aside the chair opposing the other girl, setting herself down carefully before shifting forward again, now noticing the glow was coming from an opaque crystal ball in the center of the inner table. All very atmospheric. Now Yusuji wished she had actually taken out her notebook.

"I like what you've done with the dark colors," she whispered, silenced by the ambience of the tent as she glanced around the it, "although it makes a little hard to see. Oh, is this what you do your seeing stuff with?" Yusuji added quickly, pointing towards the glowing orb.

Hiraku Tsukino

If Hiraku had to pick one thing that he didn't like about being on the dueling team, he would have to say it was entirely the captain. In fact, that was the one and only thing he disliked about being on the duel team, but it was something he more or less had to swallow his pride on to a degree. If he ever wanted to cement his position as the school's number one duelist, then being on the duel team wasn't something that he could just neglect, even if the captain was the one to make a mockery of him at last year's tournament.

In fact, this was even considering Club Day and how every member of the duel team was tasked with helping out at the booth. Hiraku, as voted unanimously by the entire team, was not considered to be a good person to have at the front of the booth talking to new students. "It's not that we don't think you can be polite," they had said. "It's just that... your reputation kinda... follows you around. We just don't want any drama at the table, okay?"

"Reputation indeed," Hiraku scoffed to himself, as he spent the entire time behind the scenes unpacking boxes of fliers and grabbing various things for the members at the front of the table. It wasn't Hiraku's fault that most of the new students that wanted to be on the team weren't of particularly good stock, and most of them couldn't even duel half as good as the game they talked up.

As if on cue, a short girl who introduced herself with perhaps the longest name that Hiraku had ever heard, and definitely one that couldn't be true. Princess, yeah. As if any monarchies still existed around these parts.

...would be willing to allow you to have me on your team." And that's when Hiraku couldn't take it anymore.

"Allow us? I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, kid," Hiraku called out from near the back of the booth.

Alison chuckled loftily as the excitable Star; to see such hope was truly precious. A precious light not always wont to be snuffed out, unless one allows it. "This crystal ball is but a peripheral to the divine dear Star. It is not to be seen through, but rather it sees through all. Bound by the leylines of Time, Space, Past, Present, and the Future, it casts its gaze so that I may see into what is unseen. Now then, shall we begin to see what is yet to be unseen then? You desire your fortunes told, so Star, tell me what it is you desire to know, and I will endeavor to use my powers to answer them" she declared, never once dropping her mystical tone.

Placing a deck of tarot cards before Yusuji, Alison nodded to them. When the girl yet still did not understand, the fortuneteller explained. "It is traditional that one seeking knowledge shuffle the deck themselves, so that their Fate may align with what the cards say. If I were to shuffle it would do no good in telling your fate. Now then, please, tell me your dreams and about yourself as you shuffle, to fill the deck with knowledge."

6kzOarD.png

"T-Tch...jeez that hurt. For your information...I'm not stupid. Just ended up forgetting where I was laying down is all. Plus no one else comes up this direction around this time...so never had to deal with that before."

"You're just stupid, got it." That was quite the answer he'd given her. In the end though, it all just boiled down to not paying attention, right? Kyouko moved closer to the edge of the roof, looking through the chain-link fence down to the students below. There sure were a lot of them running around down there today. She was glad she was up here, and not down there. Just the thought of being caught in that big of a crowd made her a bit queasy. Kyouko sat down, looking at the boy whose head she'd hit with the door.

"And... you're up here why exactly? Clubs are recruiting, so shouldn't you be looking for one or helping whoever you're with reel in new members?" As she fished around in her hoodie pocket, Kyouko added a quick "I'm not interested in joining whatever you're about to suggest, before you ask." Try as she may have to not think about today's upcoming duel, it wouldn't leave her mind. Would it be a big public thing with lots of spectators?  What happened if she lost in front of all those people? She was starting to understand the kind of pressure the duel team members maybe felt when there was a tournament or sometehing. Good thing she didn't want to join them.

That didn't mean she couldn't talk with any of its members though. Kyouko opened her impressively tiny contacts list, selecting the only other human being in the list besides herself. Maybe sending and receiving a few texts would help shake off these nerves. Looking down at the crowds again, one head in particular stood out to her. Or rather, one hat sitting atop a specific head, that she'd recognize anywhere. She's got a few people with her. New recruits probably. Hopefully I don't distract her too much texting her.

To: Jun
Are those new recruits for your duel team? (Look up at the roof.)

uEm5KFs.png

Akira sat in front of his table, watching the crowds of people. He hoped that this year, they'd get a lot of new members for the Steadfast Martial Arts Club, but so far, no one seemed interested. They wanted to do things like art, or the Dueling Club. People just weren't wanting to get physical anymore. However, he wouldn't give up! He would get at least someone to join today!

Scanning the ground, he noticed a head of orange hair. It was that guy form the other day! Zai? Kai? Mai? No, no, it was Sai! That was the kid's name! He did his best to wave him down, to get him to notice him. However, it seemed that the orange haired duelist didn't notice him, headed to the roof instead. Akira sighed and looked ahead, just waiting. He would be steadfast, and he would get people in this club.

wryYvru.png

Sai sighed to himself as he headed to the roof. It seemed like it would be another clubless year, seeing as they wouldn't let him make an Entertainment Duel club. Not only was it a sort of club with low interest, but neither he or Souji would really want to be the club leader. It really kinda sucked, but that was how it was. He got to the roof, and to his surprise, the door was opened. That was odd... usually Souji would close the door.

He walked through the door, seeing Souji sitting by the door. "Yo, you know there are better places to take a nap, right?" He teased. "You could hit your head if someone opened the door," He tossed a packet of beef jerky into Souji's lap. "So, no club this year to?" He asked before opening his packet and chewing on it... only to start choking slightly when he noticed Kyouko was standing by the fence. He managed to avoid her for a whole year last year and now he was just running into her everywhere. He was gonna die this year, wasn't he? "U-um... hi, Kyouko," He managed to get out before pounding on his chest lightly, trying to clear his airways.

f8OzT6y.jpg?1

iU8EggM.png

"You're just stupid, got it."

And you, madame, are a bi-... Souji started thinking, only to have the back of his head hurting and causing him to stop. Probably for the best, anyways...

"And... you're up here why exactly? Clubs are recruiting, so shouldn't you be looking for one or helping whoever you're with reel in new members? I'm not interested in joining whatever you're about to suggest, before you ask."

"Good, glad I wasn't going to ask." he said, rolling his eyes slightly. "And if you must know, I was up here thinking actually. Ya see-"

"Yo, you know there are better places to take a nap, right? You could hit your head if someone opened the door. So, no club this year to?"

He stopped suddenly in mid sentence as to his surprise, Sai walked into the scene. "Thanks Captain Obvious..." Souji grumbled, rubbing the back of his head as he motioned towards Kyouko. "Already established that...so thanks for that. ...I'm still keeping this." He snatched the beef jerky that was dropped in his lap and munched on it, not noticing Sai getting choked up on seeing the young girl. "Now, as I was just explaining to her...I was up here doing thinking. Sorta helps clear my head, you know how it is. I was thinking of possibly joining the Duel Team again...if only to be able to get plenty of chances of Dueling Hitomu. Gotta get better than him...he's the goal line for me."

A small pause was there, as Souji took another munch of the beef jerky, before glancing at Sai. "However...now that you popped up here...a thought occurred. The Entertainment Duel Club we had...we might be able to do that...if..." Souji finally stood up as he took off his fedora and ran a hand through his hair, sighing deeply. "...if...I bite the Magical Musketeer bullet...and be the club leader. Then again, we both know my people skills are complete shit...so dunno if that's back to square one or not."

9Ur8wBU.png

Club Day. Hoshiko was excited for today, although she wasn't entirely sure what exactly a club was. That didn't matter though; she would learn as she went out. She was excited to go out and talk to her fellow students, maybe even make new friends. Maybe she'd bump into Melissa this time. Hoshiko smiled as she thought about her roommate; she was making improvements already, even if they were a bit minor. She nodded as she headed out of the door, wearing a simple black jacket over her uniform.

She walked around the campus, making small talk with the various club members, mostly about what their club was about. It was fun, walking around and talking to people, but none of the clubs seemed to speak to her. The people were nice, especially the boy sitting at the Wood shop Club, but none of the activities really resonated with her. One of them was even about cloud watching which, despite being reassured by the kind boy, sounded rather boring. Still, she was having a good time just talking to her fellow schoolmates.

As she was walking and talking, however, her eyes glanced over to one rather popular club. From where she was, she could make out that it was some sort of duel... club? Team? She was sure, but it didn't matter. It looked appealing, but what really caught her eye was the tent next to it. It had a sort of vibe that attracted Hoshiko, she wasn't sure what it was. Was it one of the clubs? She'd have to check it out once it opened; after all, it'd be rude to barge in. Instead, she elected to hang out by the Duel Team, since it was next to the intriguing tent.

As she made her way towards the booth, she recognized the white haired boy from the other day at Coffee Cards. "Excuse me." Hoshiko said, stepping towards the crowd that had formed around the team. She looked at Hiraku, as he seemed to be the one working the booth. "I'm new around here. Is this some sort of Dueling Club?" She asked, not entirely sure what the booth was all about. She gave the boy a smile, tilting her head slightly.

Spoiler

iphone-z74o.png

iphone-q84o.png

Hitomu set his phone down on the table and rubbed his eyes. Club Day was great and all, but organizing it was a nightmare every year. The year before he had unintentionally let the crowd waiting at the booth get rambunctious enough campus security had gotten involved, because he thought he could handle the sign-ups by himself. 

He had done better this year. He had divided the Duel Team into two crews; sign-up and examination. Half of them were manning the table, conducting a short interview and giving the students the paperwork to sign, then redirecting them to the other half of the team who were conducting the examination. Hitomu had mostly split the team up by what sort of decks they used; fast decks conducted the exams to get through them faster, while those with slower, more control-oriented decks were helping him at the table.

Well, there was also Hiraku. He had been fine with letting the kid sit at the table, but the rest of the team had overruled him and given the boy the grueling task of filing away the applications behind the table. To Hitomu, it was a form of cruel and unusual punishment. 

Hitomu shook his head, trying to physically rattle the funk out of his brain. “Next!” he called. A freshman took two steps towards him before almost tripping over the hurricane of drama-and-goth that whirled by. 

Said hurricane was actually a young girl, probably another freshman, and Hitomu couldn’t place it but her face was familiar. “You're the one who ripped my bag of nourishment during that duel were you not? I fully expect you to repay me for that."

Oh yeah. Hitomu winced. 

"Oh, and, I suppose I, Princess Gabriela Von Draculesti, Third of her name, Keeper of the Key, Angel of the Dark, Crown Princess of Romvania, would be willing to allow you to have me on your team." Gabriela Von Long-Name was attention-grabbing, he would give her that. Still, she probably didn’t realize she was attracting the wrong kind of attent--

"Allow us? I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, kid," The Wrong Kind of Attention called out from near the back of the booth.

Hitomu glanced down at his phone to check the time. 11:20. “Well, teeeeechnically, Masked Chopper did that,” he said. “But I’ll cover for him, ‘cause he’s not really in the business of apologizing. Tell you what, it’s about time for me to take my lunch break and I’m meeting someone there anyways, so why don’t I take you to Coffee Cards for food? I’ll even do your interview and test for the team while we’re eating.”

Before Gabriela could respond Hitomu noticed Jun approaching. “Hattie!” Hitomu grinned. “Think you could cover for me while I run to lunch? All you’ve gotta do is ask some questions, have people sign a few papers, maybe duel someone. Grab Hiraku from the back and put him to work if you get behind.”

Edited by Cheshire Toon

MM6dyYE.png?1

Jun had gone to lead the way to the duel table, only for sometimes to sit back and watch, with much amusement, when Gabriela had attempted to lead the way herself. Eventually, though, they had managed to get there way to the table. Jun had walked alongside her, chuckling once more as the girl she had recruited gave her grandiose introduction to the captain of the duel team. As the captain called out to Jun, she seemed to pout a bit as she said, "I wanted to be the one to test her out but," smiling she said, "have fun with Captain, Gabby." Looking to Hitomu she said, "don't worry Captain, you can count on me." With a joking salute to the man, the girl moved to take her place, standing next to the table now. After a brief moment girl felt her phone buzz, looking at it to see a text from Kyouko. Looking around, the girl saw on nearby roof the familiar blue hair of her roommate. Smiling and waving the direction, the girl opened up her messages and began to reply. 

To: BishFish
yea
met her a few days ago
she's really funny 
talks about being a dark princess of something 
really likes chips too 
how bout you? 
what your doing 
not if you like chips 
but do you like chips?
have you punched that weirdo yet? 

As Jun was sending messages to her roommate, the girl's ears perked up as she heard someone else at the table ask about the club. Turning around, she saw that the person in question was talking to their main paper worker for the day. Looking at the new girl, Jun listened and looked at her, having an incredible sense of familiarity towards this girl. As she tried to place the name and face together, she merely decided to focus on something she thought was going to be more interesting. With an amused smile on her face, Jun split her attention between actual new people coming to try out and wanting to see how Hiraku would actually explain it to her. 

6kzOarD.png

"Yo, you know there are better places to take a nap, right?"

Someone else's voice had joined Kyouko and Fedora Guy up on the roof. Kyouko turned, recognizing the face. He'd been at CoffeeCards a few days ago, right? Did he ever introduce himself? ...Kyouko couldn't recall him ever doing that, let alone what his name would have been if he had. He looked like a Haruki to her, but that probably wasn't his name.

"U-um... hi, Kyouko,"

"Hey," she responded, only briefly glancing back at the boys again before turning her attention back to her phone. While they were talking about clubs - Fedora Guy mentioned the idea of an Entertainment Duel Club - Kyouko's phone buzzed in her hand. Then a second time. And a third. It kept going, and Kyouko kept reading the messages as they popped up on her phone, waiting a short moment after the last one to make sure Jun didn't have anything else to add, waving back when she saw Jun waving from way down there.

yea
met her a few days ago
she's really funny 
talks about being a dark princess of something 
really likes chips too 
how bout you? 
what your doing 
not if you like chips 
but do you like chips?
have you punched that weirdo yet? 

I don't think a dark princess is the type of person I'd want in my club. Not that princesses are a thing outside of fairy tales anyway... I wonder if she'd be on board with that club Fedora Guy was talking about? Maybe not, if she was already trying out for the regular one that already existed.

could go for some chips now that you mention it. might get some. haven't seen the weirdo from coffeecards yet, but trying not to hit anyone, even if they deserve it.

And... send. Chips sounded good. They went well with tacos. Sour cream & onion flavor. Kyouko made for the door again, calling out to the boys on the roof. "I'm going to a vending machine. If either of you have something you want and can pay me back for it, speak up."

Gabby felt her heart thud in her chest. Bang, bang, bang, as she stood there with her arm confidently outstretched and finger pointing at the man who had brought out such a powerful Monster the other day. She couldn't believe she was doing this. Everyone was staring. But...but that was good. She was being noticed. That's what she wanted...right?

"Allow us? I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, kid,"

"And who are you calling kid?" Gabriela snapped back. "I'll have you know that in my country the 'kids' are already far more advanced in maturity than adults of this land. Why, I should be calling YOU kid."

Why was she like this?

Thankfully a pretty girl, wasn't that supposed to be some famous somebody, came up to ask the angry boy something and hopefully distract him from Gabriela. Gabby almost let out an "eep" as Hitomu responded to her. Not only deciding to test her himself but also bringing her out to food. Was this some kind of trick? One of those...pick up things? No, he wouldn't do something like that in front of all these people. Focus, Gabby, focus.

Jun's disappointment caused an odd warmth in Gabby's heart. She had wanted to test her. Which meant she wanted to play with her. That felt kinda nice.

"Never fear there's more than enough time in the future for me to make you one of my servants too." Gabriela told her. "And of course I must be tested by the captain. Only the best could possibly hope to contain my incredible power in a duel. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone in my test duel, kukuku."

She put her hands on her hips and stood tall, or as tall as the short girl could stand, in front of Hitomu. "You may bring me to this 'Coffee Cards' place. Surely it must be an extravagant locale which will best showcase my talents. Go on, let us make haste. I wish to end this before it gets dark...where my power is even more dangerous."

Gabby didn't want anyone to see how she froze up in the dark. It would ruin everything she had been building up.

“Nitro Booster…. 2300 ATK, 1900 DEF…” Yushiro said to himself, staring down at the card in his hand. It was slightly worse for wear now, a scratch noticeable over the art, probably from sliding on the concrete. He was glad to have it back of course, but now looking at it, it brought up feelings other than relief. It had been a strange few days: losing his ace, cutting his face open (and apparently bumping into the same weirdo who had challenged Kyouko to a duel in the process), and missing the duel he’d promised to go watch in spite of it. It seemed like he’d had nothing but a run of bad luck since move-in day, and if he had been at all superstitious Yushiro might even have blamed it all on the girl who’d given the card back to him. Instead though, the prevailing emotion he felt as he looked at his card was pity. Pity and… something else….

----

“Sorry Lizzy, it’s the end of the road. Osiris, finish her off!”

Elizabeth only stood there with pursed lips as the effects of osiris’ duel space attacks flew through and by her; she had come that close to getting him, but she played her hand too quickly. It was a risk she was willing to take, and one she would do 10 times over again, but that hardly took away the sting of losing a duel she practically talked herself into.

There was an optimist somewhere deep, deep inside of Beth that had convinced her that she could win this duel, and as the duel came to an end, her predominant pessimist came rushing through to add insult to injury, reminding her that she should have just listened to the part of her brain that told her to stay home and enjoy a cup of coffee in the rain.

“Well, the better duelist was always going to win, eh? Worth a shot I guess.” she walked off without much else other than a simple wave goodbye to Hitomu. While people flooded the duel area to congratulate Hitomu (as per usual) and attempt to either console or compliment Elizabeth, she gave a grin and nodded to those addressing her, never stopping to absorb more than a word.

Come to think of it, the only people she had expected to see, Ashley and Yushiro, was not a part of the group coming to see her after the duel. Did neither of them show? Ashley had said that she would be watching, even if she was not able to make it, but Yushiro? He seemed so excited to come out, and that feeling was kind of nice…

Elizabeth shook her head a bit, dismissing the thought, Even if he were to come for me, I still have his card, that’s more important. Hopefully I run into him soon...

Some time later, Elizabeth found herself aimlessly walking back to her apartment; the rain was picking up a bit, but hardly enough to do anything other than cause her makeup to run slightly. Truthfully, she was happy it was raining; something about the cold water made it easier to resist the churning feeling in her gut, turning the disappointment into something of a sorrow.

After sprinting for what was probably close to fifteen minutes, Yushiro finally made it back to Blue Yonder. He was painfully out of breath, and between the wheezing and the bloody cut across his face, he looked almost like he’d been fleeing for his life from some crazed killer. He stopped for a moment, leaning over and putting his hands on his knees in a vain attempt to catch his breath. After a few seconds, he pulled his phone out to check the time, and his spirits sank: he was definitely too late.

Defeated, he made his way over to a nearby bench and slumped over. Yushiro sat there for several minutes, only becoming more agitated when it started to rain on him. “Seriously?” His forehead started to sting again as it got wet. With the adrenaline fading, it hurt a lot more, and slowly he came to the uncomfortable realization that it was a deeper cut than he thought it was. He wondered if he’d need stitches (Yushiro had never gotten stitches before), and the thought of it made him wince. At last this made him uncomfortable enough to force himself to keep moving.

Campus was mostly deserted, between the events going on elsewhere and the rain, and every couple of minutes Yushiro had to wipe the blood out from above his right eye, lest it drip past his eyebrow and actually interfere with his vision. Eventually, he realized that in his stupor he was wandering aimlessly, and was turning around to head toward his dorm when he spied someone else coming the other way. Was that Elizabeth? It had to be. He didn't know anyone else with silver hair.

Beth had hardly paid attention to where she was going, virtually letting her bones go the only way they knew to go, which was home. It was a few minutes later when her stomach had begun to churn for something different, not a chance to cry and relieve herself of this disappointment and sadness, but rather for a cigarette. She was positive she had packed some away in her bag on the way to the duel, but none were to be found. It had been a hot minute since she had one, and her body was now no longer satisfied by the coffee and adrenaline she had substituted them with. She clenched her teeth and rolled back her neck, taking a deep breath in from her nose in attempt to subside the cravings with a therapeutic stretch, but no dice; only temporary relief as she continued to shamble by to her apartment, perhaps now with more urgency in her step. It was about then when she noticed a familiar figure.

“Yushiro? Is that you down there? I’ve been looking all over for you!” She shouted just a bit to try and gather his attention.

“Looking.. For me?” It took a second for Yushiro to actually process the words through his haze, but it clicked and he shook himself alert. Despite how out of breath he was he forced himself to trot over to her. “What are you looking for me for? Especially in the rain?”

“Well, you had said you were to make it to today’s festivities, although by the looks of it I don’t suppo- Holy s--- Yushiro, you’re bleeding like a pig! Are you alright?” Elizabeth had now taken the initiative of jogging over a bit faster to meet him closer and get a look at his face, quickly donning a crimson mask of sorts, “Have you seen a doctor for this?” she put her right hand up to her lips before wincing and looking in closer at the cut, gently trying to take the hair from the cut and get a better look at it.

“I took a bit of tumble, no worries.” He backed away a step, his face reddening with embarrassment. He put his hand over his wound to hide it from view. “Sorry I uh… didn’t make it. How’d it go?” He had a better look at her now, and despite the concerned look on her face he could see in her body language that she was almost as drained as he was.

She shrugged, choosing instead to lie through her teeth and move the conversation back to the wound on the boy’s head, “I suppose it went okay. He’s a bloody cheat you know. Seriously, Yushiro, that looks dreadful. We’re only a short way from my apartment, can you let me clean you up?” It was about then that she realized she had just invited the boy into her place of living, and straightened up a bit, “Unless of course you don’t want to, anyway. I won’t force you. That cut just… it doesn’t look great. We can at least get out of the rain. I’m sure my eyeliner is miserable.”

Yushiro pulled his hand away from his face and looked at his now-red fingers. “Actually you look nice.” He replied, more thinking aloud than talking to her. His head throbbed again as realized this, and he quickly tried to move the conversation along. “A-anyway if you're offering then sure. It does hurt a bit….” He winced. “Ok, more than a bit. Yeah, lets go.”

Elizabeth’s expression twisted a bit, more amused than anything, Is he really trying to flirt with me with blood getting all over his shirt? Boys are unbelievable. She put her hand flat against his back with a light shove in the direction of her apartment, “On then, let’s go before you bleed too much more. My couches are expensive, you know. Can’t have you getting your insides all over them. Delia is a fan of leather, and she insisted I match it to the hardwood. Like bloody leather even matches hardwood. Preposterous. Anyway, how did you even get this cut?”

“I tripped on my way over here. Guess I hit the pavement a bit harder than I thought.” He looked away for a moment, then changed the subject again. “So you didn’t win your game, then. Sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m not much of a duelist anyway, probably a foolish notion in the first place.”

--

After a few moments of rambling, Elizabeth and Yushiro finally made it to her apartment, and Beth was quick to gesture Yushiro straight through the hallway into her room, where the bathroom was located.

“Don’t mind the laundry and all that, just head straight into the bathroom. I’ll grab a few things from the kitchen to clean you up. You should probably wash it out a bit.” Elizabeth scurried across the floor as daintily as she could, quickly grabbing the first aid kit she kept above the knives in her kitchen, grabbing bandages, wipes, and whatever else she felt would be helpful.

“Yeah, sure.” He complied, tossing his wet jacket across the floor and running water over his face. It ran down the drain red for a few moments, and stung viciously for just a bit longer than that, but after the process was done the wound was clean. Thankfully, it wasn’t too severe, though it was certainly deep enough to look particularly nasty, and the bleeding, though slowed, hadn't stopped. He tried not to think about how awkward this whole chain of events had become, and instead focused on assessing his own condition while he waited. Still, he couldn’t quite forget the fact that he was alone with a cute girl in her dorm for the first time in his life.

“Are you still alive in there, mate?” Elizabeth only half-joked as she turned the corner, relieved to see that he was only a little scuffed up, hardly in bad shape, “Why don’t we get that nasty thing covered up then. Hold still.” Without much in the way of bedside hospitality, she quickly ran a sterilizing wipe over the cut and stuck a bandage over it with her other hand in a quick motion. She was positive it was less than comfortable, but she knew it did the trick.

“Sorry, grew up with a brother. Fairly used to this type of ‘surgery’. Best to just get it over with.”

Yushiro rubbed his finger over the bandage. “Well… thanks. Sorry to impose on you like this, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth waved her hand in dismissal, “It’s nothing, truly. Actually, in all of the commotion I forgot the real reason I was hoping to run into you…” she pulled Yushiro out of her bathroom by the arm to her desk, where her deck box was. She opened it up and fished through to reveal his Nitro Booster, albeit a bit worse for wear. It had suffered a scratch or two from hitting the pavement in the fashion that it did.

“I believe this belongs to you? You never gave me your number, so I wasn’t able to reach you. I think it fell from your person when we collided. Sorry about that.”

Yushiro’s eyes widened. He’d actually forgotten that he was missing his best card, and the surprise buoyed his spirits. “Don’t mention it. Guess that’s twice I owe you now, huh.” He gave her a half-smile; the best he could manage between his energy level and the sheer amount of embarrassment he was feeling.

She shrugged a bit and looked away, “Oh please, I’m the one getting myself into all this trouble.” she shambled towards the couch and threw her weight into, leaning against the back and holding her hand to her forehead, “Can’t believe I embarrassed myself like that today. Truth be told I’m fortunate you weren’t there. I prefer you to see me in this light, where I’m helpful and apparently attractive.” she was rambling, but there’s only so long you can keep things together. She blinked back a tear or two as the rock began to form again in her stomach.

Yushiro blushed. “What do you mean? You needed a cheering section, right?” He walked over and sat down on the couch, deliberately as far away from her as possible. Looking at her now, it was plainly obvious that something was the matter.

“Cheering section? Heavens no. Ashley was off being the president, and when you used to be the number one duelist around here, and you aren’t any longer, things go… tits up, I’ll say, in the friends department.” She sat back up, tying her hair back and shrugging her shoulders slightly.

“Sounds like they weren’t really your friends to begin with, then.” He paused, thinking about what to say next. “But wouldn’t you want someone there to cheer you on, in that case? It's not like my opinion of you would change if you won or lost. Heck, you saw some pretty awful dueling on my part the other day, didn’t you?”

Elizabeth chuckled slightly, still a bit somber in tone, “You must really get on with your mates, then. It’s nice. When I dueled every day, of course I would. I suppose now it just isn’t very high on the list of priorities. Not sure many people would like to see me succeed anyhow.” she nodded her head in agreement with Yushiro, “Of course there are things you could improve on, but not everyone is like you, or at least what I know of you. Some people lose respect for you when you stop dueling.”

“Yeah, I guess I do.” Yushiro hadn't really thought of his relationship with Akira and everyone else as anything special, but perhaps he just didn’t know better until now. “But…. well I don’t know. I guess what I’m trying to ask is… uhh.” Well, beating around the bush clearly wasn’t getting him anywhere. Time to dive in head first. “Sorry, I don’t wanna pry or anything, but it looks like something’s really bothering you. I don’t know you very well or anything… but I’m a good listener. Wanna tell me what’s wrong?”

Strangely, Elizabeth outright laughed at Yushiro’s response, “Oh dear, I really have gone mad, haven’t I? Even complete strangers think i’m a mess.”

Yushiro went bright red. “N-nono I didn’t mean it like that!” He interjected. “Well... when something’s really bugging me it usually helps when I talk to someone about it. I don’t think you’re a mess or anything, just… sad I guess. You were really looking for that win, weren’t you.”

Beth rose from her seat and walked over to Yushiro, “You really are sweet aren’t you. That’s a very genuine care you have for people.” Beth picked up her cellphone from the coffee table and handed it to Yushiro, “Why don’t we get to know each other better. I have questions of my own, but I’m not going to search high and low for you again, I’m afraid I’ll need your number this time. Not sure my arse can really handle being thrown into the ground again to meet with you.” she smiled, slightly.

Yushiro breathed an internal sigh of relief. He was half expecting things to have blown up in his face, but somehow or other he’d managed not to make a complete fool out of himself. He was still blushing, but hey, it was progress. He took Elizabeth’s phone from her hand, spending a minute figuring out how to work the menus before entering his contact information. “Yeah, I’d like that.” He replied as he handed it back to her. “Better than cutting my face open, that’s for sure.” He took another moment to process, then realized she was changing the subject. “You don’t have to open up about it or anything to me if you’re not feeling up to it, either.”

Blushing, ironically, made her a bit nervous; that was when she lost her touch in a conversation, “It’s not that I’m not up to it Yushiro, it’s more…” she took a deep sigh, trying to keep her face from going flush as well, “I think I really quite enjoy your company, is all. I wouldn’t want to ruin that. I know we’ve barely met but, you have a kind heart. Sometimes I think it would be nice to get out more, you understand?”

“Did… did you just ask me out?” he asked rather bluntly, not sure how to respond. If there was one subject area that Yushiro Midori was clueless about, it was dating. His face continued to retain its rosy hue, and for the life of him he couldn’t bring himself to look her back in the eye for more than half a second. He was too nervous.

At this point, Beth had shot clean past mildly unnerved to beat red; her normally rather pale skin tone now flush with color, “Well, uhm” she closed her eyes, even when she was being nice it would appear she messed this one up, “Well not quite, it’s been some minutes since I’ve been out on one of those.” she put her hands up, trying to backpedal, “Although, I suppose if you were to ask, even though I don’t really know much about you I-” she stopped, and looked down at her table; for some mysterious reason she thought of Ashley: What would Ashley say to this? Elizabeth thought, Well, Ashley probably would have just kissed him by now, but what would she have told me?

She looked back up at Yushiro, “Well, why don’t we try some coffee? We don’t have to call it a date or any such thing, clearly we’re both handbaskets about the idea, but it could just be you and I, together, at Coffeecards, yes? We can ask all manners of questions. We can always decide later if it’s a date, no?”

Ashley’s right, kissing them is a much better option. But a coffee with the boy sounds nice as well. Elizabeth thought to herself

“S-s-sorry.” He barely stuttered out. So much for not making a fool of himself. The awkwardness was palpable now, and it took him a solid ten or so seconds before he settled on what to say next. “Sure. Lets hang out. Maybe get a friendly game of duel monsters in if you’d feel so inclined?” Card games. Yes. Something he was comfortable with. Just ignore the weirdness and roll with it. Good plan.

Elizabeth was back to laughing, something of a deeper, yet still feminine laugh, “Card games?! My word, you really do belong at this blasted campus don’t you? Yes, fine. I would love to play card games on our date-not-date-date. Why don’t you swing by my place in 2 days, we can go together. I’ll wear my best. For our… card games.” she nodded; he was certainly a strange one, but Elizabeth was the right mix of interested and lonely to entertain it, plus he was cuter than he let on, even with the giant bandage on his forehead.

“It’s just usually something I do when I’m hanging out with a friend. Keeps me occupied I guess. Honestly I uhh..” He was embarrassed to admit what came next. “I’ve never really, like, gone anywhere. Alone. With a girl, before. I’m cool with doing something else if you’d rather.”

She shook her head, “No, no. I want to do this the way you imagined it. I’ll wear something nice, and we’ll play some cards. Nothing more until you’re comfortable with the idea. We’ll just get to know each other.”

He nodded. “I’ll… try and look a bit better than I do today.” He joked. “ But yeah, let’s do it.” He glanced toward the bathroom, where his jacket still was. “I don’t wanna overstay my welcome though. Should probably get going.”

“Oh!! Right, well I suppose you’ve things to do. I’ll grab your coat.” she skittered down the hallway, returning in no more than a few seconds, handing him his coat, “I’m glad you’re okay. But if you beat me with Nitro Booster in a few days I’m going to regret being so honest with you.” she winked, still blushing slightly.

“I might have to. Can’t afford to pull any punches with an number one duelist, can I.” He winked back, his own cheeks still just as rosy. Yushiro made his way toward the door, then stopped when he was halfway out. “Hey, Elizabeth. Feel better, ok?”

----

And so now here he was, at the club fair in spite of himself, looking for the duel team booth. Yushiro still wasn't sure it was a good idea; he valued his free time, but the thought of impressing Elizabeth when they next hung out was enticing. Plus, he needed the practice if he was going to beat Hiraku... in front of everybody. He shook the thought out of his head as he approached the booth. There was a girl with a very nice looking hat sitting there.

“Uhm… excuse me. This is where we sign up for Duel team, right?” Yushiro rubbed the bandage on his forehead nervously. He’d never done something like this before and didn’t really know how to come off.

Edited by Zai

qaVE33T.png

“...You desire your fortunes told, so Star, tell me what it is you desire to know, and I will endeavour to use my powers to answer them.”

Yusuji’s mouth was agape at this point, completely lost in the words flowing from the girl in front of her. Well, more lost in their general sense, as she was really struggling to hold onto the long introduction. Before her eyes could go out of focus, she suddenly found a Deck placed in front of her.

"It is traditional that one seeking knowledge shuffle the deck themselves, so that their Fate may align with what the cards say. If I were to shuffle it would do no good in telling your fate. Now then, please, tell me your dreams and about yourself as you shuffle, to fill the deck with knowledge."

“About myself? I can do that!” Yusuji said, picking up the deck eagerly and immediately dropping a few. “Oops.” She grinned sheepishly as she picked them again. “I haven’t really done much shuffling. It’s always been on my to-do list, before doing something really sciencey and after wearing more than 3 hats at once. That one was Jun’s idea, who is the best friend you could ask for!” Yusuji explained, nodding enthusiastically before realizing how off-topic she had gotten. “Right, myself...oh, I love painting! I’m really hoping to do art for some cards, because of some of it is absolutely adorable, and there’s just something about forming a scene in your head and giving it life for all to see that really bubbles my milkshakes!” Another pause, this time to ponder the metaphor just used. “I don’t think I like that one. Normally I bounce them off my friends first, and let me tell you, friends are just great at being friends! I try to get a new friend every day, and I got a new record this year! Four in one day! You can never have too many of them, and making a new one just makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.”

Now Yusuji was positively beaming again, giving the cloaked fortune teller her full attention after she had put down the relatively well-shuffled cards. “Oh, maybe we can be friends! After this of course, still wanna see happens!”

Hiraku Tsukino

"And who are you calling kid?" The girl snapped back. "I'll have you know that in my country the 'kids' are already far more advanced in maturity than adults of this land. Why, I should be calling YOU kid."

Hiraku stepped over, taking in a breath to release a stream of savage comebacks, but Hitomu had stepped in and started talking about interviews and tests, causing Hiraku to let out an exasperated sigh instead. "Friggin' chunni's," Hiraku muttered to himself.

"Excuse me," a voice spoke to Hiraku, who at first did not realize that someone was talking to him, but a hint of surprised flashed across his face as he looked over to see Hoshiko standing in front of the booth. "I'm new around here. Is this some sort of Dueling Club?"

At first Hiraku felt annoyed, but he let out another sigh. This was a reasonable, normal question. Nothing worth getting mad at. "Yeah this is the Dueling Team. We practice together and represent the school in local tournaments and team matches against other schools. Why, were you thinking of joining?" His demeanor wasn't his usual stand-offishness, and anyone who knew him would find this Hiraku to be much more friendly, but to anyone that didn't he would still give off an aura of unwelcome, or one that gave the impression he didn't want to be there. Which he didn't.

EGWCLdk.png

"You went on a DATE and didn't tell me?! Elizabeth what the hell! I thought we best friends! Partners in crime! Why wouldn't you tell me these things?! You know how excited I get for dates, especially for you! It's been a while since you've gotten some action, and you deserve it too!" Ashley continued her rant, of which the duration felt like an eternity, over the phone. Beth knew this phone call had been coming for some time now; she was just surprised it came after the date, knowing how tapped into the school community she is. The problem was, no matter how prepared Beth was for this phone call: the guilt trip phone call, the lamenting the death of her importance to Elizabeth phone call, the somehow-making-it-about-her phone call, it felt a lot like her duel with Hitomu. You can prepare all you want, but when someone is that good at what they do, all the defenses in the world aren't going to save you, and Ashley was damn good.

"Ashley no, come on that's not very fair is it. I didn't tell you because it was hardly even a date; I asked him out by accident for Exodia's sakes. We played cards at the coffee shop and got to know each other a bit. Speaking of that shop, where are you anyway? We were supposed to meet here almost a half hour ago." Elizabeth looked around the tables at Coffeecards for her best friend, but there was no sight of her. All in all, a fairly busy day, but no sign of the blonde currently berating her over the phone.

"I got roped into a meeting that went late, that's why I'm calling you, duh. And don't think I'm letting you get off that easy with not telling me; that really hurt my feelings Beth. You could have been on a date with Pimples from Calc and I would have been excited for you." The phone went silent on the other end, and only the fuzz of the signal bouncing back and forth remained.

Beth was a cynic, and she believed for every second that up until now it was a guilt trip, but even so, Beth couldn't help but feel poorly for leaving her best friend out of the goings on of her life. Ashley didn't have to say much else; she knew what the point was, "Yeah, I guess you're right. I just didn't want you to get your hopes up, I think. Like I said we were more just talking than anything. I can't imagine he'll ask me back." Elizabeth, of course, only partially believed this to be true. She was confident he would ask her to play Duel Monsters again; he seemed happier than ever to get off of the small talk and into the games, but she was a bit unsure she would be asked off to an actual date by Yushiro.

"Well now you're just acting depressing Beth. Why on Ambrosia wouldn't he ask you out again? Slamming body, awesome duelist, smart as anything, he would be lucky to get another date! And besides, I've seen you kiss so after he got a taste of that I mean-" Ashley was cutoff abruptly by a "Well hold on just a minute Ash, who said anything about kissing the boy? I've done no such thing thank you."

Ashley went silent for a moment, bewildered, "What?! You didn't kiss him?? Why not?! Beth if I ran into a boy not once, but twice, in the rain, and had him in. my. place, where we did nothing but talk? Quite frankly I'd have kissed him a long time ago, and we both know that, but you went on a date! A real date! What are you waiting for?"

Elizabeth shook her head and rolled her eyes, "Romantic clichés aside, Ashley, I'm not quite sure I'll have met anyone nearly as... available to kiss as you, so maybe the standard you've set here isn't exactly fair. And besides, I'm not kissing a boy I've barely met on the first date, especially when I've asked him to it. If I'm to be macking on with some lad, they better be the ones to start it. If, and I mean IF he asks me back to another date, a real one, I'll consider it, and I'll tell you exactly how much spit was in it this time around. Happy?"

Ashley could only giggle in response, "Oh, I pissed you right off didn't I? Alright, alright, I can take a hint. If you're still there in a bit I'll come by the shop, otherwise I hear the Duel Team auditions are going on today; I sort of want to see what's going on with them. Wanna come with?"

"Oh, is that today? If you promise to restrain yourself from trying to rope me into it again this year I'll go."

"Pinky promise, Beth. I just want to go see the new faces; you know how I am."

Elizabeth smiled, "Then we've got ourselves a date. Don't bother coming by the shop, I'll just grab you something on the way over. Delia's sent me my allowance this week a bit early; I think she's trying to reinforce some sort of behavior, perhaps the duel or something. Normally I'd say I'm not sure how she even knows about that but, I've learned better than to ask those questions while knowing you.

Ashley giggled again, "Bye Lizzyyyyy, I'll see you later!" *click*

Elizabeth took a deep breath in through her nose and looked towards the ceiling; it always was a mixed bag, talking to Ashley. On one hand, it felt great to have someone so blindly supportive of your life and the time it takes to get back into your own skin. On the other...

She looked down at the table, where her playing cards were spread out. She had taken some time to dissect her deck and determine what was wrong with it. Again. The same thing she does every time she loses with this deck, which is more times than not. 

On the other hand, she thought to herself, How many more times can I fail everyone around me before it just becomes pathetic?

No matter how many times Elizabeth went through it, the feeling of an impending depressive episode never got any easier. Hiding them was a different story, but coping with them? That's a duel she's lost many, many times before, and she felt another loss coming quick. Her throat became sore, the sinuses surrounding her eyes slowly beginning to swell with the feeling of tears coming quickly.

She swallowed a sip of hot coffee, and with it, a hard lump of emotion trying to force its way up her throat. Replacing the grief with the taste of cinnamon; it made the coffee better, in her opinion. She sat back in her seat, lightly groaning to herself,  she pulled out a sleeved card from the small crossbody purse she carried around for the day: the card was Cyber Dragon, her late brother's signature card. It was still in pristine condition.

Just know that I'm really sorry Todd. I'm trying so hard to get better, but I don't know if I can. I'm really sorry.

Um, sorry, are you okay?” Melissa said.

"Oh f---!" Elizabeth nearly rocketed out of her chair in surprise; she had been so wrapped up in her own misery and intense effort to reserve her emotions that she failed to notice the diminutive brown-haired girl with the crucifix approaching her table. Elizabeth immediately sat back up and straightened her situation up a little bit before responding, "Okay, what? Gosh I've not been that obvious have I? I mean the coffee's a bit stale but really, just a touch of sugar should be fine, I hope. I don't think we've ever met, have we? My name's Elizabeth."

Elizabeth stopped herself internally What? The coffee, that's really the best you could come up with Elizabeth? You expect her to believe that? she simply smiled in return, half hoping she would stay and call her out on her bluff, and half hoping she would believe it and go away.

Edited by Cappuccijoe