Blake

Yu-Gi-Oh! Cosmic Path [IC/PG-16]

The remainder of the week flew by before Saturday, with the team gathering once again. Each of the duelists would find Vega waving to them from the booth above as they entered, earlier than she usually was. Waiting in the booth, she had snacks for Sai, Rosalia, and Eve, a mouthful of gummy worms interfering with her greetings to them.

-----

“In the standard duel setting, we have Team Shining’s Yukihito Hifumi taking the stage, facing off against Kendra Brooke from Team Genesis, her first duel in the circuit! Will she be as charming as many find their action duelist, Daichi, or will she crash and burn like Sai!?”

“My, the announcer is really rolling out the red carpet for you. Makes me kinda jealous,” Yukihito’s voice dripped as he took the stage, “Surely you can’t be as bad as that guy was, right? At least able to keep me a bit entertained?”

Kendra shrugged her shoulders briefly as she stepped forward, her eyes opening up after a momentary yawn, “Side effect of not being seen dueling yet, that’s all. Mystery of the unknown and all.”
She waved a hand in the air gently, glancing towards Yukihito as she frowned a tiny bit, “He might have deserved the dig from the announcer, but you? Wait until later to make your comments, please. I would like to keep this relatively professional.”

“Got a bit of a mouth on you, huh?” Her opponent smirked as he drew his opening hand, glancing over the cards, “Besides, we won’t be here long, so it shouldn’t be difficult to keep that professional for you.”

“Wonderful.” Kendra’s eyes rolled briefly as she activated her duel disk, the older model blades coming together in front of her as she spoke. With no delay, she drew her own hand, taking a glance towards the screen above them. “Normal Summon, Batteryman AAA.” [LIGHT Thunder; Level 4; 0/0]

There was a brief flash as Kendra placed the card down on the disk, a pair of green and purple batteries appeared in front of her. The pair pointed to the air as Kendra lifted another copy of Batteryman AAA in front of her, pointed towards Yukihito as she spoke, “When I normal summon it, I can summon another copy from my hand.”

Another flash and another pair of batteries tumbled from the sky, clacking together before they rose up in front of her. Just as quickly, the figures began to coalesce into two, purple orbs, “I overlay the two Batteryman AAA to Xyz Summon, Tornado Dragon.” [WIND Wyrm; Rank 4; 2100/2000]

The tell tale sign of an Xyz Summon, the galaxy spiral appeared before her as she held her hand out, wind billowing from it as it collected into a single mass. The semi transparent creature took a more defined form as the portal underneath it faded, leaving wyrm there as Kendra set a single card on the field. “Your turn.”

“Ah, so you guys really a-”

“AND THERE WE HAVE IT, FOLKS! The final member of Team Genesis uses Xyz, like was speculated, like Team Origin of the major leagues!”

“Yes, that,” Yukihito growled softly, “You guys really are just cheap knockoffs. You got the best end of the deal it seems, but even so…” He drew for turn, “At least it’s some identity, unlike my sister. I normal summon Bujin Yamato!” [LIGHT Beast-Warrior; Level 4; 1800/200]

Slapping the card onto his board, crystallized light began to form, features carving onto it as the humanoid figure emerged, putting its fists up as if it was ready to brawl. Yukihito quickly set two spell and traps behind it before adding on, “Then I activate the Continuous Spell, Kaiser Colosseum.” As the spell resolved, a glowing circle appeared beneath both Yamato and Tornado Dragon, with a set of glowing rings raising around each monster. “While I control this card, neither player can control more than one monster. I’d like to do more, but for now… I’ll pass. Oh, but before I go…”

Yukihito’s deck yielded a card, which he revealed to be Bujingi Crane, adding it to his hand and discarding a different card, “Yamato lets me search a Bujin in the end phase, provided I discard a card after. Anyway, your turn. Please, keep it brief.”

Kendra tapped the screen modded to her duel disk, taking a brief glance at it, before pointing towards Tornado Dragon, “During your End Step, I’ll detach one Xyz Material from Tornado Dragon to destroy…” Her finger moved, pointing at random towards one of the two backrow Yukihito had just set, “That.”

The wind collected around Tornado Dragon’s wings suddenly burst forwards, looping around each other towards the set card. It was whipped upwards into the air, revealing Raigeki Break to the crowd, before it was shattered into pieces. “Draw.”

“Lucky shot,” the Bujin duelist muttered as Kendra looked over her hand. “Bet that’s all you’re good for.”

As Kendra drew her card, she yawned softly, bringing a hand up to brush her displaced bangs out of her eyes, “Oh yes, you got me. That’s why I haven’t dueled yet. I’ll use Tornado Dragon’s other material now.” Another flurry of wind was projected from the Wyrm’s body, this time targeting- “Kaiser Colosseum.”

The wind whipped through the constructed environment around the two of them, causing it to tear apart at the seams. It crumbled around them as Kendra pulled another card from her hand, placing it onto the disk, “Normal Summon, Batteryman 9-Volt.” [LIGHT Thunder; Level 4; 1000/1000] Once again rising in front of her was exactly that… A 9-volt battery. After a moment, arms and legs sprouted on either side of it, leaving just a head to rise up atop it. The figure rose a hand into the air, electricity sparking around it as a single card popped free from Kendra’s deck.

“When I summon it, I can add one Batteryman from my deck to my hand. I’ll grab another 9-Volt.” She pointed forward, “In addition, I double its attack and defense," [1000/1000 > 2000/2000], "Battle Phase. 9-Volt attacks Yamato.”

“Seriously? Do you not know how to check cards that people add to their hand?” Yukihito laughed, discarding a card, “I activate the Bujingi Crane I searched! During this battle step, Yamato’s attack is doubled, and 9-Volt is destroyed!”

As the battery approached the beast-warrior, it would be met with the luminescent bird falling from the sky onto Yamato’s back, a brief flash of a different form appearing over it. As its attack rose from 1800 to 3600, it punched through the battery, causing it to explode as Kendra’s life fell from 4000 to 2400.

Kendra just sent her monster to the Graveyard as she nodded her head, “Tornado Dragon attacks Yamato.” Her arm rose again, this time directing the windy mass to focus on the 'beast'-warrior in front of it. The wind billowed around them as it lashed towards Yamato. However, the attack was met with an invisible barrier, briefly shining with rainbow colors. Yukihito’s Life Points rose from 4000 to 6100 as he chuckled.

“I had Draining Shield as a backup. Really should’ve known I wasn’t going to just let Yamato die. Still, more of a challenge than some of the others in this league,” Yukihito smirked, “So, as I asked before, please hurry it up.”

Kendra shrugged with one arm, glancing at her hand as she did, “Apologies. We don’t all play decks that sit on a single monster.” She plucked a card from her hand, activating it as she spoke, the spell appearing in front of her, “I activate One Day of Peace. I’m sure you know what this does, no?”

“Ugh, yeah, you’re stalling for time. Rather inconsiderate of you, if you ask me.” He griped as he drew his card from the spell.

“Mhm, I’m the worst, aren’t I?” She drew her own card as she glanced at it, “Until the end of your next turn, neither of us can take damage. I’ll end my turn there.”

-----

"Well, things could be going worse," Vega mused, ignorant of the gummy worm stuck to her cheek, "But wow, that guy's kinda a piece of work, huh? I heard the minor leagues were sometimes like this, but I had no clue they let pricks like this through. Nnnnnot that we have much room to judge."

itdGF3Z.png
Moments Before

Daichi sat in the locker room of the stadium, his duffel-bag with his costume on the bench. In his hand, he went through his deck one more time...he needed to make sure everything was in ship shape for this. It would be his redemption Duel...he had to make sure this counted.

After a sigh, the young man looked down at two of his cards, giving a soft smile. "It's the first Duel with you both in my performance. I'm hoping it'll work out!" he said, putting them in the deck and shuffling it. He shifted slightly to reach into his bag, before seeing two other cards fall out of it. Curious, he looked down at them and the gears started to turn for a bit. He began to ponder these two for a moment...before a smile appeared on his face. "Hmmm, actually...these two might just be what I need..."

Not another thought was given as he tossed these two right into the deck box as well. It was a gamble with those two cards, but he had to try.

8YZQZPr.png

Present Moment

“In the Action Duel, we have Lance Sheridan against Daichi Raimu! Daichi lost his first match, and Lance has a pretty good record. Can he do it!?”

As the announcer spoke, Lance strode onto the field, wearing a suit of armor and adjusting into place. He scoffed at the announcer’s antics, simply giving a small nod to Daichi. Or at least…he would've if his opponent was standing there on the field.

BGM

“LADIES ANNNNNNNNNND GENTLEMEN!!!!” The lights cut off the moment this rang out in the arena, with the spotlights turning on one by one in a rhythmic fashion. “I hope you’re ready for an exciting and heart pounding Action Duel, because we’ll be serving one up for you!”

“A stoic knight, donned in his beautifully shining armor, a visage of a true servant to his highness…truly fit to be the Vice Captain of Team Shining. Please give mister Lance Sheridan a round of applause!” Whatever applause for Lance, if any at all, would follow this introduction as a few spotlights trained themselves onto Lance. “Yes, truly this Duel is straight from the pages of the medieval age…a time of swords…and sorcery! But I won’t back down from this formal challenge…” The last of the spotlights trained themselves on a spot in the arena where once again, a purple explosion of smoke emerged and once again, Daichi stood there in his outfit. “The Moonlit Magician makes his appearance once more!”

“Quite gaudy, honestly. Though I suppose I look much the same to you…"

Daichi simply took a simple bow. "Thank you. This is the first time my show has been classified as gaudy. Perhaps I'm finally hitting my stride?" he laughed.

"It would appear that I am the one chosen to go first, so good luck to you.” Lance drew his hand as the field spell activated above.

”Our field today is… Action Field: Virtuous Castle!”

As an ornate castle appeared, its halls lit bright, a red carpet rolled out from Lance to Daichi. Behind the knight, there stood a grand throne, and behind the magician a throne room to accompany it, with tables and adornments fit for a luxurious banquet.

“I summon Noble Knight Borz. Then I activate the equip spell Noble Arms of Destiny, equipping it to him.”

A knight with ornate armor appeared [Normal Monster; LIGHT Warrior; Level 4; 1700/900], standing at ready, only for a gleaming silver shield and blade to be offered to him. Arming himself with them, his stats showed up once more, changing his qualities to [Effect Monster; DARK Warrior; Level 5].

“Borz is a normal monster while it is on the field, but it becomes an effect monster when it has a Noble Arms equipped. It also becomes Level 5 and DARK. Next I use its effect. I reveal three Noble Arms from my deck- Gwenhwyfar, Caliburn, and Excaliburn, then you randomly choose one for me to keep. The others go to my grave.”

As the explanation wrapped up, the three cards and their effects briefly showed up on Daichi’s disk screen, before flipping face down and shuffling themselves around, waiting for him to click.

“By your leave.”

"Hmmm choices, choices…" Daichi hummed, before finally picking one. "I choose the leftmost card. Let's see if Lady Luck chose to shine on your first turn with this!"

The cards flipped back around, revealing that Noble Arms - Caliburn was the card Daichi selected. Nodding, Lance took Caliburn, sending the other two to the grave. “Then I’ll go ahead and activate it as well. This will give Borz 500 ATK and…” As Borz’ attack changed from 1700 to 2200, Lance’s Life Points also changed, raising from [4000 -> 4500]. “Once per turn, I can use Caliburn to gain 500 LP. And then, I activate the effect of Gwenhwyfar, Queen of Noble Arms. I can equip her from my grave to a Noble Knight I control. With that, I will set 1 card… and end my turn. Your go, sorcerer.” Borz’s attack went up once again, capping at 2500 for the turn as Lance’s turn ended.

"Too kind, Sir Knight." Daichi chuckled, drawing for turn. "And I must say, truly a stunning start for this Duel. So let's see if I can attempt to top that…"

Alright. It's a home field advantage with this. he thought, looking at his hand. Noble Knights, as expected, but an Action Field that which happens to be used as a backdrop for his knights to truly shine. However…despite all this, I'm still not going to lose!

Daichi smiled as he shifted slightly, tossing two cards into the air before catching them and immediately placing them on the disk. "The curtains raise upon this little magic show! I set the Pendulum Scales!!"

On his left and right appeared two magicians…as they rose high into the air. "Stargazer and Timegazer Magicians! Now the Scale has been set to 1 and 8…monsters Level 2 through 7 are fair game! And now…" he smirked, watching a dowsing pendulum appear in the middle between Stargazer and Timegazer. "Metronomic Pendulum, swing and sway to mesmerize the audience! Give way for the magicians to take the stage! PENDULUM SUMMON!! Now, put your hands together!!"

Out from the hand appeared Oafdragon Magician [WIND Spellcaster; Level 6; 2100/1400], as he slowly descended beside Daichi. "My partner and assistant, Oafdragon Magician has arrived!" he smiled, before tipping his hat slightly. "Now, let's have some fun!" He turned on his heel to venture around the throne room, searching for an Action Card.

Just as the magician thought he found one, he was met with Caliburn flying through the air just ahead of his face, spearing the Action Card into a nearby wall. Not far behind was Lance, shoving Daichi out of the way as he took the card, immediately activating it.

“I activate Action Spell - Holy Blade! By targeting Borz, he gains 1200 ATK until the end of the turn!”

"A-Ah…so this is what she referred to…" Daichi muttered, but simply nodded. "However…that will not deter this wizard one bit! It's an Action Field, after all…" he leaped out the way of Lance, grabbing Oafdragon's hand to make sure he was descending slowly. "There's bound to be more!!" Once he touched down, he made a mad dash towards another Action Card he fixed his eyes on.

“Gwenhwyfar!”

Before Daichi could snatch the card, the spirit of the Noble Arms’ queen took it from right before his eyes, holding it up just long enough for Lance to dash over and take it, once again activating it.

“Another copy of Holy Blade! Borz is now at 4900 this turn!”

"Now that was a bit more entertaining than shoving me after almost stabbing my head." Daichi laughed, sighing as he placed two more cards on the disk. "Alas, I feel that'll be the same end result for the rest of this turn…so I shall set two face downs and I'll relinquish my turn to you."

“Hrm. Entertainment is fine, but depending on Action Cards to fish you out is… I must say, I do not like it.”

"It gives some excitement and drama to an Action Duel." Daichi wagged his finger slightly. "But alas, to each their own, Sir Knight."

Edited by Chaos Sonic

╔. .═════════╗

“Draw!”

Yukihito added a fourth card to his hand as he began his turn, taking quick stock of the cards before placing a monster down. Like a bolt of lightning, a crystalline rabbit appeared, bouncing about excitedly.

“I normal summon Bujingi Hare,” [LIGHT Beast; Level 4; 1700/500], “Then overlay it with Yamato! Xyz Summon!”

The galactic spiral appeared for yet another Xyz Summon, but this time only the hare entered. Instead, Yamato strode across the top, standing above the center as crystalline forms flew from it, covering its body in armor. Headdress, wings, an ornate sword, and a more practical sword being notable parts among it, Yukihito grinned as he held his hand out.

“Bujintei Susanowo!” [LIGHT Beast-Warrior; Rank 4; 2400/1600]

“By detaching Bujingi Hare from Susanowo, I can either search a Bujin or send it from my deck to the grave. In this case, I’ll add Bujin Mahitotsu to my hand, then discard Bujingi Wolf to Special Summon it in defense!”

As he followed the motions, an ornate eye appeared next to Susanowo, with crystalline white pouring from around it, leading to a red body below the hair-like white crystal. The monster took up a defensive form as Yukihito discarded yet another card, causing the monster to glow slightly.

“Then I’ll use its effect- by banishing Wolf, I’ll send Bujingi Sinyou from deck to grave. Then battle! Susanowo, destroy Tornado Dragon!”

The Bujin emperor spread its wings wide, rocketing forward towards Kendra’s Xyz, only to bring its broader sword down on the creature, the wyrm was torn apart, the wind that formed its body scattering, as if there had never been a storm.

“I suppose I’ll have to set 1 and end my turn at this point. You haven’t really proven you’re any better than Aya, either… The minor leagues are so dull.”

As the winds dissipated, Kendra was left standing there, a disappointed look on her face as she drew her next card, “You’re acting like I took the damage or something. Unfortunately for you…” Kendra’s trap card flipped face up as she looked to Yukihito, “This isn’t over yet. I activate Portable Battery Pack to resummon Batterman 9-Volt and Batteryman AAA. Once again, 9-Volt allows me to search for another Batteryman.”

As the three figures returned to the field, the rectangular battery pointed to the sky once more. Another crackle of electricity signaled another search, “I’ll add, and normal summon, Batteryman Solar.”

The flash that had accompanied the previous summons wasn’t present with this one, instead, light was refracted briefly as three solar panels were raised to the field. The largest, middle panel stood as light was absorbed from the sky, channeling towards Kendra’s deck much like 9-Volt before it, “When Solar is summoned, I can send a Thunder monster from my deck to the graveyard. I’ll send Thunder Hand.”

The card was quickly deposited to the grave as Kendra looked towards her hand, “The current beckons. I overlay my three Batteryman monsters to Xyz Summon.” The portal reopened as 9-Volt, Solar, and AAA faded into light, circling down into it. “The flow of power won’t stop, all I can do is guide it. Xyz Summon, Ultra-Electromagnetic Radiation Dragon!”

From the portal burst a large, rusted pair of wings that fanned out on either side of it. Mechanical claws followed closely behind as the sound of metal dragged itself from the portal, the bronze plated head of the thunderous creature reared itself upwards. The crackling electric filled the air around them as the Dragon took the field, a creaky, metallic call echoing across the stadium. [LIGHT Thunder; Rank 4; 2900 / 1600]

“Battle. My dragon will be attacking Mahitotsu, and when it does, I can detach an Xyz Material from it.” One of the three lights orbiting Radiation Dragon vanished, being replaced with AAA appearing beside the mechanical dragon. A panel shifted in the back of Radiation Dragon’s neck, allowing the pair of batteries to slip into place as it shut…

“When I do, I send one Batteryman from my deck to the grave-” A single card popped free from her deck, which she quickly deposited in the graveyard, “I’ll send Fuel Cell. And in return, Radiation Dragon’s attack and defense are doubled until the end of your next turn.” [2900 / 1600 > 5800 / 3200]

“No kill like overkill, right?” Yukihito grumbled, waving for her to continue.

With a creak, the head of Ultra-Electromagnetic Radiation Dragon began to turn. The build up on electricity around the dragon’s claws became apparent as the entire body crackled with it, eyes lighting up with a sudden burst. The monster lurched forward, raising its claws up as the current orbiting its body focused on them. Then, with a single slash downwards, Radiation Dragon sliced straight through Mahitotsu, cleaving the red plated figure straight in half.

As the dust settled, Kendra placed a single card face down, the card materializing in front of her, “With that, I set one and my turn ends.”

╚═════════. .╝

8YZQZPr.png

The next turn saw Lance bringing out Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn equipped with a series of Noble Arms cards and ending the reign of Oafdragon Magician immediately, but at the same time, Daichi did obtain an Action Card after it all. He noted it was most likely due to the fact that his Spell and Trap Zones were completely full, such was the downside of the Noble Knights...full zones and not able to activate anything else.

Regardless, on his turn, Daichi most likely surprised everyone by simply Pendulum Summoning Oafdragon Magician once more, this time in face-up Defense and simply...ending turn. It was a strange move for all who watched, but Daichi knew what he was doing.

As Lance’s turn popped up in the spotlight once more, he now had a knight clad in black, with his eyes burning red, slightly hunched over as he wielded 5 Noble Arms. [Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn/DARK/Level 5/Synchro/Warrior/2400/900] [Destiny, Gwenhwyfar, Caliburn, Arfeudutyr, Set Card]

“I may have allowed you to gain one action card, but I shan’t again! I begin by using the effect of Caliburn equipped to High Laundsallyn once more, to gain 500 life, rising from 5500 to 6000! Then I use the equipped Noble Arms - Arfeudutyr, targeting your set backrow for destruction!”

"A bold move, however, I anticipated that!" Daichi smirked, snapping his fingers. "Trap activate! Pendulum Switch! I select two of my Pendulum Magicians and have them swap places! And with Oafdragon…I choose Stargazer Magician [Stargazer Magician/DARK/Level 5/Spellcaster/Pendulum/1200/2400]!" In an instant, Stargazer left the Pendulum area and Oafdragon took his place, while his place was taken by the aforementioned Stargazer.

“But your card still gets destroyed!” Once the switch resolved, the revealed trap shattered, and Laundsallyn’s attack fell [2400->1900] “Then I special summon Noble Knight Custennin, as I control a Noble Arms! Then I normal summon Gwalchavad alongside it!”

The two knights appeared on either side of High Laundsallyn, only to immediately turn into bright yellow balls of energy. They began to swirl around, before slamming into the ground, forming a galactic spiral in their wake.

“The rightful king rises once more, appearing with holy blades in hand! Xyz Summon, Artorigus, King of the Noble Knights! [LIGHT/R4/Warrior/Xyz/2000/2000]” The spiral erupted with light, revealing an imposing man wielding a sword that looked like Caliburn, with its edges opened to leak out blue wisps, “And then I detach the Xyz Material Gwalchavad from him, in order to target Spells and Traps you control up to the number of Noble Arms I control… And since I have four, I target both of your Pendulum Scales! Go, Artorigus!”

"You would think that, but however, it's gonna be hard considering I have this here…" Daichi said, holding the Action Card. "Action Card activate! Pride Shield!" He placed the card on the Duel Disk. "Now for my lovely audience that may not know…Pride Shield keeps my cards from being destroyed, so long as I control a monster on my field with the highest attack or defense…and would you look at that: I control Stargazer Magician! Which means my Pendulums are safe!" Stargazer took hold of the Pride Shield, lifted into the air and held it up in front of him and the two Pendulum, protecting them. "Nifty little spell if I do say so myself."

“Tch, fiend! I will not permit your tricks much longer!” With a movement of his hands, a shimmer appeared in front of Artorigus, with a golden-trimmed sword rising from it. As it did, the king reached out, the sword opening up portions to leak out blue energy as he took hold of it. Once more, a blinding light covered the arena, with Lance’s voice cutting through. “Holy king, receive the lady’s blessing as you make your stand! May your righteous path carry us to victory! Xyz Change, Sacred Noble Knight of King Artorigus! [LIGHT/R5/Warrior/Xyz/2200/2200]”

The knight stood tall, wielding both Caliburn and the sword that had just appeared, covered head to toe in that glowing blue aura. “By banishing the Excaliburn in my Grave, I can perform this Xyz Change!”

"The sacred king…truly a marvel to see in front." he nodded, before turning on his heel, running off to find another Action Card. "Best to run off until a strategy presents itself!!"

“Halt! I activate Sacred Artorigus! By detaching Custenning from him, I destroy your star wizard!”

Artorigus raised Excaliburn to the sky, red energy spiraling around it, then slicing it towards Daichi’s only monster. The energy struck true, destroying Stargazer., as Lance adjusted his position to point dramatically at Daichi.

“Charge, my liege! Attack the magician directly!”

Daichi skidded to a halt, finding his Action Card, though he was now up against the wall. Stargazer was gone…and now he was being rushed at. "My, my…this might be the end of the road for me…" he said, tipping his hat slowly over his eyes. "Then again…maybe if the audience would believe hard enough…a miracle might present itself in the situation." he smirked under his hat.

Artorigus stopped suddenly as Daichi’s scene began, earning a step back from Lance. As the audience murmured in confusion, the knight duelist’s voice rose. “And what cheap trick do you have this time, knave!?”

"Oh it's simply a bit of audience participation." Daichi said, still smirking under his hat. "After all, we're entertaining the masses, it's only fair they get engaged…and believe for their favored Duelist to bring forth a miracle. After all, that should resonate with you, Sir Knight. Think of it, as the masses cheering for you against those you clash swords with." He began to raise his voice. "So, audience…let's hear it…do you think that this simple magician can pull out a miracle while facing down a king of knights?"

“Y-you can do it!” came a single young voice from the crowd, amidst the murmurs, “Pull out a miracle!”

This put the biggest smile on his face, as he chuckled. "Children have the most faith in things than anyone else in this world. Well then, I suppose I may have a trick in my hat, can't let the kid down…" he said, moving a card from his hand to the graveyard, immediately taking his hat off. "...why don't you come out and say hello!"

The hat was taken off, but soon began to start floating and suddenly…a brown furred creature with big eyes and a small red bow tie appeared from it. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you all to meet the latest star to my show! Hattrickuriboh [Hattrickuriboh/LIGHT/Level 1/Spellcaster/Pendulum/300/200]!!!" It simply made a few cooing noises and waved its little green clawed hands.

“And what, exactly, does this mongrel do?”

"Mongrel?" Daichi gasped, seeing Hattrickuriboh start looking teary-eyed. He began to pat the head of the monster. "It's alright buddy, you aren't a mongrel. But as for what he does, it's simple really. Once I discard him, as I just did…he can allow me to Special Summon a Pendulum Monster from my Extra Deck! Hattrickuriboh, if you please."

The monster nodded, dove back into the hat and it began to move violently, almost cartoonishly. After a moment, a card came out of it, it being Stargazer Magician and once more…it made its way on the field yet again. "So now, Stargazer is here once more…so seems like you'll have to declare your attack with the king of knights, sir Knight."

“Gah, I suppose I must cancel that charge. Instead, High Laundsallyn, attack Stargazer!”

The black knight blitzed forward, 1900 attack to Stargazer’s 2400 defense. However, before its blade could even hit the mage, a silhouette appeared from Laundsallyn, flying from the knight and strangling Stargazer, destroying both the silhouette and the Pendulum Magician.

“I used my Gwenhwyfar, who was equipped to Laundsallyn. Since he is a DARK monster, her effect destroys herself and a monster that he battles! With that I go to Main Phase 2 and…” Lance glanced to his grave, then his hand, grimacing, “I end my turn. Your last stand, wizard.”

"Then I shall make it my grand performance!" Daichi laughed, drawing for turn. He looked at the card inquisitively but he nodded. "Firstly! Oafdragon's Pendulum skill! With it, I can add Stargazer to my hand!" With that, he added the magician to his hand and nodded. "Secondly! I activate Pot of Desires!" The card was played, bringing forth a…uniquely designed pot before Daichi. "At the expense of banishing a total of ten cards…I will be allowed to draw two new cards! At this moment, this turn resides within these two cards…a true gamble in this performance."

He moved his hand slightly, waving it in front of the deck. "Now…" he grabbed ten cards and tossed them into the pot. It moved slightly after the cards were presented and two cards flew off the top of his deck and into his hand. Daichi looked at them, surprised at what was presented to him. These two with those in his hand…

BGM

The young man snapped his fingers, the spotlights aligning on him. "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! It is with a heavy heart that I say that this is the curtain call on our performance, but as I said moments ago: this will be a grand performance! Now, watch carefully and don't blink, or else you'll miss the show!" He smiled all the while, before turning towards Lance. "For my first trick: I summon Timebreaker Magician [Timebreaker Magician/DARK/Level 3/Spellcaster/Pendulum/1400/0], in his debut performance!" Before Daichi was brought forth a young child holding a sword. “Timebreaker allows me to target itself and one monster my opponent controls…and banishes them until the next Standby Phase! Now, Timebreaker, let’s show Laundsallyn the vanishing act up close! Go! Time Leap Surprise!” Timebreaker nodded, before rushing towards Laundsallyn and immediately having the two of them…vanish…without a trace.

“Even so, the noble arms will return! When sent to the grave, these blades can return by equipping themselves to a Noble Knight I control- Sacred Noble Knight of King Artorigus!”

“This is true, and under normal circumstances, this would be devastating for this magician…however…” Daichi wagged a finger in Lance’s direction. “Not this time. For my second trick: I shall make the Scared King…disappear! I activate the Spell Card: Dark Core!! At the expense of one card being discarded, I can banish one face-up monster on the field.” he simply smiled, discarding the Action Card in his hand before snapping his fingers. “Artorigus, it’s time you laid your crown down for a bit and take a rest.” Just like that, Artorigus vanished from the field. “That’s two of your monsters gone, sir knight. How’s that for my last turn?”

“Even so, can you deal with my life, before my black knight returns?”

“Simple…with the main attraction for this performance!” Daichi held two cards up in his hand. “Metronomic pendulum! Swing and sway once more to captivate the audience! Give way for the final act of this performance! PENDULUM SUMMON!! Now, put your hands together!” He placed both cards on the Duel Disk, and smiled widely. “The repeat performer: Stargazer Magician…and, for its debut! Please, give a warm welcome to my newest performer!!” Within moments, something fell from the sky above, like a comet and once it was between him and Lance…it exploded in a beautiful array of colors…before showing what now was before him. “May I introduce: Crystal-Horned Dragon!! [Crystal-Horned Dragon/DARK/Level 6/Dragon/Pendulum/2200/1400]” The red dragon roared loudly, it’s crystalline horn shining beautifully in the spotlight. “I figure I bring forth a dragon to do battle against a heroic knight such as yourself. I believe I’ve done a pretty good job in that department, don’t you?”

“It is quite fitting, I must give you that. But does it truly stand up to the task you claim it will achieve?”

“Oh my dear noble knight, you should know me by now…” Daichi smirked, tipping his hat slightly. “It surely does. Speaking of, allow me to show you. Crystal-Horned Dragon’s skill activates! When it’s Normal or Special Summoned, I’m allowed to banish a total of five Spell cards from my opponent’s graveyard. And when it does, it gains 300 attack for each one! And if I do the math correctly…” he paused, comedically counting on his fingers. “That would raise it up to 3700 attack! And if memory serves…you have just enough Spells in your graveyard just ripe for the banishing!”

Lance watched as the three noble arms and the two Action Spell - Holy Blade left his graveyard, cocking a brow. “As I see it, sir wizard, you are 1100 damage short. Lest you foolishly scrounge for another Holy Blade, which risks a penalty. Alas, I have been unable to play my own Action Card…”

“Right you are…but…” Daichi proceeded to climb on top of Crystal-Horned’s back. “I won’t know unless I try! Stargazer, Crystal-Horned…let’s fly!” The dragon immediately took off, beginning to fly with Daichi riding on it, Stargazer flying closely behind. The energy was high in the auditorium, he was 100% sure about it. It wasn’t going like his debut was…and he knew it, and maybe that’s why he was grinning like a damned fool. Nevertheless, he finally saw an Action Card and immediately grabbed it before jumping off Crystal-Horned and landing down elegantly. “...alas, it isn't the Holy Sword…I suppose you were correct in the assumption that I couldn’t grab another. Luck wasn’t on my side as it was yours, sir knight.”

“Then have your attack. I will end this next turn!”

“Oh, I believe you misunderstood, sir knight…I didn’t get the Holy Sword, but perhaps I can just borrow one of yours.” Daichi now wore a mischievous grin on his face. “Crystal-Horned Dragon’s second skill activates! At the cost of one Spell card…or in this case…an Action Spell card…I can have my dragon select one of the Normal Spells or Quick-Play Spells in my opponent’s banished zone, return it to your graveyard and subsequently activate the effect of said Spell! Annnnnd you so happen to have a total of two Holy Swords, it’s only fitting I select one and use one myself. Crystal-Horned, if you please…one Action Spell - Holy Sword to his graveyard!”

The dragon roared the moment Daichi discarded the Action Spell and its crystalline horn glowing as a singular copy of Holy Sword was dropped back into Lance’s graveyard. Soon, the effect would be active as the dragon seemed to get stronger (Crystal-Horned Dragon: 3700 ATK -> +1200 -> 4900 ATK).

“With the performers finally ready, it’s time to draw the curtains on our performance!” Daichi said, pointing at Lance. “Battle! Crystal-Horned Dragon, attack the noble knight directly! Magical Crystal Strike!!” The dragon roared once more, the horn on its head growing large and somewhat sword-like as it flew at high-speeds towards Lance, slashing at him with the horn, making quite the fantastic and captivating display in the process.

“Come then! I will stand strong until the end!”

Lance Sheridan LP: 5500 -> -4900 -> 1100

“I wouldn’t expect anything less but that, sir knight!” Daichi said happily. “Stargazer! Draw the final curtain! Starry Assault!!!” Stargazer Magician simply nodded, it’s staff in hand, rushed towards Lance and struck at him, stars and shining particles appearing in the process.

Lance Sheridan LP: 1100 -> -1200 -> 0

“Aaand Daichi has done it! The magician and his dragon have slain the holy knight, taking the win from right under his nose!”

Lance stood strong as the attacks had finished, but let out a long sigh when it was over, a wide smile on his face as he began to step forward.

“Oookay then! That was pretty impressive, kid!” The man spoke, his voice now a bit whimsical as he approached Daichi, extending his hand, “I wasn’t sure how this would go after seeing your first game, but I guess you really did just try to bring the best out in your opponent. Good game!”

Daichi smiled, his hand meeting Lance's. "What can I say, I had to give them a better show than my debut. But it was a good game, maybe try not to give me such a close shave next time." The young man laughed, before moving slightly and turning towards the audience. "Ladies and gentleman, please give a warm hand to my opponent, Lance Sheridan! And until I see you all again under the moonlit sky!" He took a bow, Lance most likely doing the same.

“If you ever need somewhere to get away to, let me know. My team is a bit… brutish, but the captain and I are good friends. She acts uptight, too, but she’s a total dork.”

"Heh, I'll keep that in mind."

Rosalia had been tense all day. While resplendent in a midnight blue silk dress and a black shawl hanging off her shoulders, her knuckles were stark white as they were clenched upon her knees. She had silently thanked God that Sai wasn't dueling tonight multiple times; As if she needed the stress of trying to predict what he was going to do this time. She was having a hard enough time keeping track of three duels at once. 

"Kendra has her back against the wall," she muttered to herself, though it was clearly audible to the others. "Even with the power of Radiation Dragon, she can't truly go on the offensive as long as Yukihito can turn it against her with his Bujingi monsters." Her knuckles somehow grew even whiter. Her eyes were locked on Yukihito, and there was anger in them. She did not like him speaking to her vice-captain like this. Her eyes flicked to the table beside her. There was an open envelope there, with Kendra's name written on it in Rosalia's own handwriting. Inside, presumably having been read by Kendra before she left it there, was a small index card, which Rosalia had, somewhat embarassedly, given to Vega to give to Kendra before the duels started. She hadn't been able to hand the letter over face to face.

Kendra,

I've been doing a lot of thinking since we talked at the mall. I'm still so unsure of myself. So unable to be honest about the things I'm afraid of, unlike you and even Sashisematta. Maybe the others as well. I'm still not sure I'm the one to lead Team Genesis. But what I am sure of is that you are an invaluable vice-captain. This is your first showing here in the circuit. You've helped me assuage some of my doubts, even if just a little (we both agreed I still had much to work through); Hopefully this helps do the same for your own.

Rosalia

The index card was sticking slightly from the envelope. The Duel Monsters card that had been inside was not. Rosalia's gray eyes turned back to the screen. "But she has something in her deck that can turn that tide."

Her attention was ripped away from Kendra by a great bellowing roar. She turned her head to take in Daichi's side of the playing field. A great dragon spread its wings, Daichi sat astride it. Rosalia raised an eyebrow, a tiny smile quirking at the corner of her mouth as she noted the coloration of the dragon.

"A red dragon," she commented wryly, looking sidelong to Sai. "Looks like Daichi's been taking notes from another Team Genesis member," she joked, the mental comparison to Sai's Crimsongleam Dragon humorous to her. She clasped her hands together as she watched Daichi rush for the Action Card. I hate this aspect of Action Duels... There's no way to consistently predict what happens. She let out a tiny sigh of frustration as Daichi failed to find a Holy Sword. He had been so close.

But then Daichi's next move actually caused her to stand in surprise. "His dragon... He's taken the aspect of Action Duels that's most unpredictable: The random cards scattered on the field. And he's turned it into a strength." She clapped her hands back together, but this time in pleasure as Daichi's opponent lost the rest of his Life Points. She turned to Sai again, her smile genuine and warm this time. "He really has been taking notes off you."

“Wanted to keep Mahitotsu, but it is what it is. Draw!” Barely registering the card, Yukihito extended his hand to Susanowo, smirking. “You may have thought you could bluff me out, but it won’t work! So I use the effect of Susanowo, adding Bujingi Ophidian to hand! Then I’ll discard that Ophidian, and…”

As Yukihito searched and discarded the monster, the wings on Susanowo’s back rumbled, glowing brighter and seeming to grow a bit larger.

“You see, I can count. If I use a copy of Crane or the Sinyou in my grave, I can’t win right now, just destroy your dragon and deal some damage… but that’s what you’re planning for,” Yukihito pointed at Kendra dramatically, “I’m onto you. You know that’s what makes sense, so you planned for it. But are you prepared for me to attack you directly instead? Because that’s what Ophidian gives Susanowo the power to do! Battle! Susanowo, attack her directly and end this farce!”

Kendra let out a tiny, relieved sigh as she put a hand on her head, “Here I was, worried that I stayed up reading what these cards did for nothing.” Her hand dropped down to the disk, activating the trap card. “I activate Counter Gate. When a direct attack is declared, I negate that attack and I can draw a card.”

“The hell kinda shit is this!?” Yukihito’s facade crumbled, gnashing his teeth, “Who runs something like that!?”

With Kendra ignoring Yukihito, the card flipped upward and a black doorway opened up… Seemingly into the vastness of space appeared in front of Susanowo. The vacuum of space pulled at it, before the monster was forced to back away as Kendra drew her card, “And if it is a monster, I can normal summon it. So, let’s summon another copy of Batteryman AAA.”

She placed the card on her board, the returning duo taking a bow towards the audience as she hummed, “You know what Batteryman AAA does, but how about another effect from my dragon?” Another light orbiting Radiation Dragon vanished, replaced with 9-Volt slotting itself into a new hatch that opened on the mechanical being’s side. Radiation Dragon raised a claw towards AAA, the duo flinching for a moment…

Then another pair of batteries popped free from a slot in Radiation Dragon’s palm, right as another identical duo rose next to the original. “By detaching an Xyz Material, I can special summon another Batteryman with the same name from the deck or graveyard. So I’ll be resummoning both pairs of triple A’s in my graveyard, both in defense position.”

“This is absurd! And I… I won’t stand for this! I activate my set trap, Bujinfidel. By tributing Susanowo, I can return Yamato to the field! Cast aside your armaments!”

The field rumbled as the trap resolved, tearing away the armaments that Yamato gained from the Xyz Summon. Once again geared up to fight, Yamato charged in and attacked the attack position AAA, reducing Kendra’s life from 2400 to 600.

“And with that, I end my turn. Yamato adds Crane to my hand, and I discard Bujingi Ibis. I’d like to see you pull a miracle like that out of your ass again! All of you fucking upstarts, like that brat on your team, or my worthless sack of a sister, getting by on stupid gimmicks!”

Kendra’s face remained unchanged at the ranting coming from Yukihito, “Do you mind if I take my turn? I thought you would like me to keep this brief. Draw.” She placed the card she drew back in her hand, picking the far left card and playing it, “I activate Battery Charger. By paying 500 Life Points, I can special summon a Batteryman from my grave.”

A large machine, created in the image of a non-descript Batteryman appeared in front of her, the machine coming to life as she lost the life points required to activate it. “From the grave, I summon Batteryman AAA one final time.”

“Final, huh? Yeah, it sure is. Though you’re getting ahead of yourself if you think you’re ending the duel on your own terms!”

“Overlay.” Kendra’s face darkened for a moment as she glanced at Yukihito, “You know something? When Sai had his little moment, I called him out on it. I told him that won’t be the way to make a mark on the league, even if he did have good intentions.”

As she spoke, the three pairs of Triple A batteries began to glow, hands gripped together as they broke down into light, swirling into the opening portal underneath, “You, however? You have no good intentions. I don’t know her personally, but I’m sure your sister is at least three times the person you’ll ever be.”

Kendra raised her hand into the air, “Xyz Summon! Number 104: Masquerade takes the stage.” [LIGHT/Rank 5/Spellcaster/Xyz/2700/1200] As she spoke, the swirling light from the battery pairs solidified into rings, rings that rose from the portal, clutched by a masked figure. Plated blue wings that vaguely resembled a cloak spread out behind it as Kendra pointed forwards, “Battle phase. Number 104 attacks Yamato.”

“What is that cheap thing?” Yukihito laughed, “Never heard of it before, but it doesn’t change anything. Sure, I activate Bujingi Hare from my grave, targeting Yamato. It won’t be destroyed by this bat-”

“I detach an Xyz Material from Masquerade. The effect of Hare is negated, and you’ll take 800 damage once this resolves.” As she spoke, the bottom most ring began to faintly glow, one of the orbiting lights extinguished as Batteryman AAA appeared briefly to charge the ring.

“Tsk. Well, no matter,” Yukihito shrugged as his life dropped from 6100 to 5300, “Then, at the start of the Damage Step, I’ll use Sinyou from my grave. I banish it, and Yamato will gain-”

Kendra brought her hand towards Masquerade again, the second ring lightening up as the second light vanished. “Masquerade activates once more. By detaching one material, the effect is negated. You take another 800 damage.”

“W-wait, what? It’s not once per turn!?” Yukihito’s face turned pale as his life drained to 4500, scrambling to respond, “At the start of damage calculation, I discard Crane! This doubles Yama-”

“Perhaps you don’t know how to check cards people have just summoned?” Masquerade’s final ring began to glow, as the final orbiting light went out, scattering around it as she spoke once more, “Number 104 negates the effect. You take 800 points of damage.”

“You snarky little shit!” Yukihito shouted as his life fell to 3700, only to shortly after drop again to 2700 as Yamato was destroyed, grating his teeth, “All of your gimmicks and bullshit, your stalling! Do you think this is going to gain you fans, torturing people like this!?”

For the first time, Kendra let out a laugh as she tilted her head, looking at Yukihito as she looked at him, “Really? Okay, well, let’s just get it over with. I’d like to keep this brief. I attack with Ultra-Electromagnetic Radiation Dragon. When it declares an attack, I can detach a single. Oh, you might not know that, one, material from it and mill a Batteryman from my deck.” She pulled a random one, this time hitting Solar, and sent it to the graveyard. As she did, the hatch on the back of the dragon’s neck opened once more, this time letting Batteryman Solar slide itself inside… Only to get stuck there, absorbing sunlight as electricity crackled around the dragon.

“Now Ultra-Electromagnetic Radiation Dragon gains double the attack and defense. Direct attack.”

After a moment of silence from the arena, the announcer spoke up.

“Aaaand there we have it! This round goes to Kendra Brooke of Team Genesis, having dismantled her opponent entirely! With Roland Adams of Shining winning the first game and Daichi of Genesis winning the second, Team Genesis pulls ahead!”

“You cheap little…” Yukihito muttered once he collected himself, but Kendra had already walked off.

-----

Falisha had returned ahead of the others, with Daichi and Kendra joining closer to one another. Vega had consoled the former a bit, seeing her threatening to grate her teeth into dust from the infuriating lockout, but turned to the latter pair with beaming smiles.

“Good job, everyone~! I knew that draw with Free wouldn’t keep you all down! And, hey…” She struck a pose nodding her head as she held her chin in her hand, eyes closed and looking quite happy with herself, “Perhaps the duel I showed you all inspired you, hm hm?”

Rosalia was so happy at the outcome of the match that the mention of the Team Free match didn't even elicit a stomachache. She swept forward, reaching out to take Kendra's hand in both of hers, a warm smile across her face. It was an expression the others would be very rarely used to seeing, but it was clearly and startlingly genuine.

"I knew you could do it," she whispered to her vice-captain, cutting straight to the point. "Congratulations Kendra. And you too, Daichi," she added, pitching her volume higher and giving Sai a significant look, her head tilted towards his fellow Action Duelist.

“Yes, you both performed so well!” Vega beamed, though she now took a position with her hands on her hips, chest jutted out, and grinning wide, “Everyone on the team has shown off what they’re capable of now, so you guys should start making a good name for yourselves. Who knows… maybe the comparisons to Team Origin might come in handy!”

"And perhaps the display we just saw will inspire us in future duels," Evelyn added. "Great work, team! I'm not really sure I what Daichi and Lance were saying to each other sometimes, but it looks like you had fun, and the crowd seemed to like it too." There was the desire to cast a glance in Sai's direction at that last part, but Evelyn resisted. She did, however, flick her sight between the two of them as she briefly thought about something the two seemed to have in common.

"Are action duelists always so showy, by the way?"

"They really, really are!" The coach laughed, "Adrian would probably kill me for saying that, but it's the truth!"

-----

Vega left soon after, congratulating the team and giving them a card to a nice restaurant to go celebrate, if they so wanted. On the sponsors’ tab, of course. They had surely earned it. And maybe more eyes would be drawn to them in that regard, as she saw it.

-----

Tuesday, March 4
3 PM

“Alright everyone, we are heading into our fourth match! 2 wins and a draw under our belts is pretty solid, should definitely get you guys on more sponsors rad-”

As Vega spoke, the door to the office room of their meeting space opened, and a blonde woman with blue-green eyes stepped inside. She looked to be in her late 30s, peeking her head in for a moment, as the coach’s face drained of color.

“Oh good, I got the right address!” The woman chimed in, humming as she looked about the place, eyes darting about, making eye contact with each member of the team for a slightly longer time than comfortable, as if reading them.

“Uhh… Mom, it’s… great to see you. Why are you here, exactly?” Vega forced a smile as the woman walked over, wrapping an arm around Vega’s shoulders, even though she stood about 4 inches shorter, and flashing the same grin the team had come to expect from their coach.

“Why wouldn’t I wanna see you with your team? Adrian was telling me how happy they’ve made you, and how proud of them you are even now! Oh, by the by, you all can call me Maddy. Nice to meetcha!”

itdGF3Z.png

Saturday

“Good job, everyone~! I knew that draw with Free wouldn’t keep you all down! And, hey…Perhaps the duel I showed you all inspired you, hm hm?”

"Gah, you found out!" Daichi gasped, putting a hand to his head dramatically, laughing all the while. "But in all seriousness, coach, your Duel did inspire...but it was definitely taking what I learned against Honey and fixing that up here. After all...this time I had the mount!" That wasn't it though. He wanted to also tell them that he had a HUGE gamble before the Duel with putting Timebreaker Magician and Dark Core in the deck like that last minute. It all worked out in the end, but it was a major gamble, one he preferred to keep silent for the most part. Otherwise that would cause the coach and the captain some unnecessary stress.

"I knew you could do it. Congratulations Kendra. And you too, Daichi,"

The young man knew what Rosalia was doing with that, but he elected to ignore it. If the theater buff wanted to congratulate him, he would...whether being coerced or not. "Thanks Rosalia. Here's hoping this can continue for us, and we get our rising star up even higher. Now, how about we celebrate this victory?"

In the meantime, in the back of Daichi's mind, he ruminated on Lance's offer of a place to just get away to. Hopefully Team Shining wouldn't have too much of an issue with him stopping by, if only just to visit Lance. Action Duelists like them, they were kindred souls...they had to stick together after all.

Tuesday

Tuesday came around, same as it always did. They're meeting happening and the talks about the fourth match soon approaching. Personally, Daichi was excited for it but honestly, he was really excited for the potential sponsors to waltz in and give them a contract to sign them on. Shoe companies, clothing companies...hell, even game shops! The possibilities were endless and he was nonetheless excited to see what they'd be presented with.

Though when Daichi thought the words "waltz in", he actually wasn't expecting a late thirty year old woman to walk in and shoot off a smile that was eerily similar to the coach's...

“Uhh… Mom, it’s… great to see you. Why are you here, exactly?”
“Why wouldn’t I wanna see you with your team? Adrian was telling me how happy they’ve made you, and how proud of them you are even now! Oh, by the by, you all can call me Maddy. Nice to meetcha!”

Daichi looked at the two, tilted his head to the left and then to the right. He closed one eye and put his hands together in a position that seemed like a frame. There she was showing off the smile... "Yeah, that definitely makes sense. So you get your signature grin from your mom's side of the family, coach." he chuckled, sitting up straight and smiling, being polite. "It's nice to meet ya, Maddy ma'am."

Tuesday

After a very successful bout of dueling from Team Genesis, time passed as it is wont to do, and Tuesday came in short order. Eve greeted the new day with enthusiasm, and unlike a previous instance that she wasn't particularly proud of, she made absolutely certain to show up on time today. At three o'clock, the team meeting started, with Vega giving everyone the down-low on what to do with the team's direction moving forward.

“Alright everyone, we are heading into our fourth match! 2 wins and a draw under our belts is pretty solid, should definitely get you guys on more sponsors rad-”

“Oh good, I got the right address!”

Evelyn watched and listened with mild amusement as an older woman entered the room, instilling a very clear shock in Vega who didn't seem to be expecting such a guest. TUrned out, this lady wasn't just any guest, but Vega's own mother! What a pleasant surprise!

"Oh, by the by, you all can call me Maddy. Nice to meetcha!”

"Yeah, that definitely makes sense. So you get your signature grin from your mom's side of the family, coach. It's nice to meet ya, Maddy ma'am."

"Yes, it's really nice to meet you," Eve reiterated, giving a small bow out of old social habit. "Your daughter's been an outstanding coach so far, though I haven't been with the team as long as the others."

Rosalia was in a much more relaxed mood than normal. The Team Genesis victory the week before had a lot to do with it. The rest, in hindsight, may have been fatigue at the hands of calorie deficit. The purchase of Kendra's Masquerade had not come cheaply, even for someone as good at managing finances as Rosalia was. Now that she thought about it, maybe she would stay off coffee. She had felt notably less jumpy in the last few days when she hadn't been able to justify buying it. 

Regardless, she was much more talkative today than she normally was, and had greeted every member of the team warmly that day, even Vega, her concerns about Vega's opinions of her leadership a distant concern. She felt good today. Especially since she had come to this meeting with a goal.

Even the intrusion of a stranger was only a mild distraction. She raised her head to look over at Vega's mother, smiling, somewhat shyly: "Hello, ma'am," she said by way of greeting, unable to associate her with the level of familiarity of a first name even with her good mood. "It's nice to have you here today; I hope you're not offended if we dive right into things. We have an important match here, I think, even more so than the team may realize."

She stood at her seat, splaying her hands across the table surface before her. "Again, congratulations are in order for Kendra and Daichi. Well done, the pair of you. Your skill level has improved notably in particular, Daichi. And Kendra, you outmaneuvered a very tricky opponent. You did well too, Falisha; I wouldn't wish that matchup on anyone," she tacked on consolingly. If Falisha felt even half as irate about her match as Rosalia did about her own previous bout, she had to feel dreadful.

"But now we're gaining steam; Two wins... a draw," she added, a slight strain to the word, "and no losses. We're going to start garnering attention. Though we've already started gaining that in... one aspect."

She turned her head to look down the table at Sai. "Sashisematta. I believe you remember our conversation earlier about the tact you took with Avery Frostwald, and what should happen if it went south."

- - - - 

“... Your match against Avery was disrespectful to him… But you had intent behind it, a plan. I’m willing to see where it goes… for now. But you went too far against Avery. Do not push your luck… You’re skilled, there’s no denying it. And perhaps you’ll end up being correct about people wanting to see you lose. So for now we’ll wait and see if it works out. But don’t push it with this duel, Sashisematta.”

- - - -

"You lost your duel against Charlie Robin. I believe you told me people would flock to see you lose. That has already happened, and I've seen more than a few negative opinions about that duel follow us even now. I believe now might be an opportunity you can take, both for yourself and Team Genesis." 

She turned back to address the team at large. "I think we can take this momentum and really drive into it. For our next match... We attempt a clean sweep." She stood up straight, arms crossed. "I know every one of you does your best to win your duels every time, but here is where it might be the most important. If we win, 3 and O, no losses... THAT is significant. And I thing we especially should focus on the members of the team who could use it the most."

She looked back at Sai. "The benefits of a Sashisematta victory can't be understated. Your attitude against Avery had intention, but the timing of your duel against Charlie Robin was... unfortunate. They are a skilled opponent, and your immediate loss to them, well. Some believe it made you look like a fool." She flinched slightly saying this, her voice growing softer. "Let me be clear, Sashisematta. That is NOT an opinion I hold. But it is something you will have to face within the arena."

"I'm fine with being a fool in their eyes. It will only make the satisfaction of my rise all the richer." Sai lowered his eyelids halfway, gazing at Rosalia through his silvery white lashes, "I assure you, if I am dueling in our next bout, it will be a definitive win. I hope that your wish comes true and I wouldn't be alone in the winner's circle."

Rosalia made brief eye contact with him. He's already figured out the next bit. She looked over at Eve and Falisha. "I'm not sure which of you is most suited for this; Both of you are strong duelists. Perhaps Falisha may be best in the wake of her last match, or Eve, given her opponent made what some would consider a game-making error. But I think either of you can make admirable showings." She sighed, placing a hand to her chest. "Unfortunately, I am the only one here without a win on their dueling record. The only one without a loss, as well, but as captain I think I am expected to have a strong showing, and my first was not up to my standards, or of potential sponsors." She ruefully looked at Vega with an apologetic expression. "I do not intend to repeat it." She gazed back at the team.

"Those are my thoughts. Now let me ask you... What do you think?"

Edited by Faytl

itdGF3Z.png

"It's nice to have you here today; I hope you're not offended if we dive right into things. We have an important match here, I think, even more so than the team may realize."

Seemed like it was time to get to the brass tacks of this meeting, so Daichi did what he could to give the Captain the undivided attention. His posture shifted, though his trademark smile never wavered...not this time...he was still riding off the coattails of his last match. A high like that, you couldn't just ignore.

"Again, congratulations are in order for Kendra and Daichi. Well done, the pair of you. Your skill level has improved notably in particular, Daichi. And Kendra, you outmaneuvered a very tricky opponent. You did well too, Falisha; I wouldn't wish that matchup on anyone."

"Thank you, Captain. Means a lot to hear that." Daichi smiled, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. He definitely learned from Honey in his first match, so with adding this into the mix and the new cards he obtained, it was simply the perfect recipe for success! It was that, but also what he took away from Lance's Duel: the facade people wear, it isn't always who they really are.

"I think we can take this momentum and really drive into it. For our next match... We attempt a clean sweep. I know every one of you does your best to win your duels every time, but here is where it might be the most important. If we win, 3 and O, no losses... THAT is significant. And I thing we especially should focus on the members of the team who could use it the most. The benefits of a Sashisematta victory can't be understated. Your attitude against Avery had intention, but the timing of your duel against Charlie Robin was... unfortunate. They are a skilled opponent, and your immediate loss to them, well. Some believe it made you look like a fool. Let me be clear, Sashisematta. That is NOT an opinion I hold. But it is something you will have to face within the arena."
"I'm fine with being a fool in their eyes. It will only make the satisfaction of my rise all the richer. I assure you, if I am dueling in our next bout, it will be a definitive win. I hope that your wish comes true and I wouldn't be alone in the winner's circle."
"I'm not sure which of you is most suited for this; Both of you are strong duelists. Perhaps Falisha may be best in the wake of her last match, or Eve, given her opponent made what some would consider a game-making error. But I think either of you can make admirable showings. Unfortunately, I am the only one here without a win on their dueling record. The only one without a loss, as well, but as captain I think I am expected to have a strong showing, and my first was not up to my standards, or of potential sponsors. I do not intend to repeat it."

He had to admit, Rosalia did do some thinking about this for sure. The young man put a hand to his chin, rubbing it slightly. In a way, Daichi could see her thought process. They did have two wins, no losses and a draw. If they attempted a clean sweep of the next match, then they'd have a win-loss ratio of three wins, no losses and one draw. Which would boost morale of the team immensely, possibly also get them scouted by sponsors.

On the other hand, was Sai's reaction and response to Rosalia mentioning his Duel against Charlie. But he couldn't help but admire the declaration of victory he gave, but nevertheless, Daichi thought he could've at least worded it a biiiiiiiit nicer.

"Those are my thoughts. Now let me ask you... What do you think?"

"Honestly Captain, I believe you're continuing to run a tip-top ship around here." he smiled. "Also, unsure if you considered it...but, with last match, I'm sure some of the views on Genesis may come our way yet. After all..." Daichi paused, turning to look back towards Sai and smirked. "If our resident 'Heel' says they'll flock to the stands to watch him fail...the opposite could be said for myself..." he turned back towards Rosalia. "I thought I was hitting my stride before in my Duel with Honey, but last Saturday...I think I hit the newest height I didn't think I'd reach. And you can't say you didn't see that in the audience that day..." he paused, chuckling lightly. "...when I rode on Crystal-Horned Dragon, I could see it in a new way...the excitement in the faces of the audience...the sheer joy. They were captivated more so than I ever thought possible. After that match, I'm positive the views of our team will skyrocket. And if that energy from my match would be shared to the point of reaching outward to the matches that involve the rest of you...then I definitely count that as a win!"

Daichi waved his hand slightly. "All that's to say this...don't bog yourself down with the semantics and general details, Captain. Everything will fall into place, it always does!"

╔. .═════════╗

"I knew you could do it," she whispered to her vice-captain, cutting straight to the point. "Congratulations Kendra. And you too, Daichi."

Kendra rubbed at her neck for a moment, shaking her head gently, "...It was too close for comfort. I only got lucky that he overthought the situation and played into Counter Gate." She glanced down at the roughly put together duel disk on her arm, brushing her fingers over the deck in it as she frowned, "Hardly a ground shaking performance from me."

Kendra wanted  to take some praise for the duel, but realistically, she should have lost. Yukihito was a conceited, narrow-minded duelist and that worked to her advantage, but that didn't mean she should have won. She did turn her head to Daichi though, giving him a little thumbs up, "Obviously I didn't catch most of it, but you looked like you were holding up pretty well there. Seemed like a tough opponent."

“Yes, you both performed so well!” Vega beamed, though she now took a position with her hands on her hips, chest jutted out, and grinning wide, “Everyone on the team has shown off what they’re capable of now, so you guys should start making a good name for yourselves. Who knows… maybe the comparisons to Team Origin might come in handy!”

She paused as she considered Vega's statement, a tiny sigh escaping her, "We shouldn't worry too much about that particular... Aspect. Seems like an easy way to get a swollen head..."

---

"Oh, by the by, you all can call me Maddy. Nice to meetcha!”

Kendra yawned as she glanced up from her spot, her head resting on her arms as she mumbled a tiny bit. She waved a hand in a small greeting to the new arrival, hardly considering who it was as she mumbled lightly to herself. Vega probably wasn't going to be a huge fan of the sudden intrusion.

"It's nice to have you here today; I hope you're not offended if we dive right into things. We have an important match here, I think, even more so than the team may realize."

Kendra raised an eyebrow briefly at that. Sure, it was following up a solid performance from them, but they didn't even know who they were facing yet. For all Rosalia knew, this could have been an immensely uphill battle... It seemed a bit excessive to build it up right away, but what did she know? Then... She followed it up with another round of congratulations, which only made Kendra's face drop a little. Despite winning, the duel left a bitter taste in her mouth. It was hard to feel proud of winning it, when it only happened due to her opponent being an airheaded narcissist.

"But now we're gaining steam; Two wins... a draw," she added, a slight strain to the word, "and no losses. We're going to start garnering attention. Though we've already started gaining that in... one aspect."

This, at least, Kendra could nod her head with. People are going to be paying more attention to them now that they're positive. If they had lost and stayed tied, people would lose interest...

"I think we can take this momentum and really drive into it. For our next match... We attempt a clean sweep."

Kendra didn't interrupt, despite immediately having a response in mind. Her finger lazily ran through a strand of her hair, curling it around her finger as much as she could manage as the captain continued. Sai's own response to her comments... Until finally, Rosalia asked for input. She let out a tiny breath...

"...I think you're correct to put yourself in. We should probably wait and see what we might be up against, but they're going to want to see the captain giving a strong performance." She tapped at her desk for a moment, "Sai also should be in, and I have no doubt he can perform well enough. As for..." She glanced towards Eve and Falisha, her finger tensing for a moment, "I don't know nearly enough about Turbo Duels to say who should go in here."

She shrugged her shoulders a tiny bit, "Daichi isn't... Entirely correct about things just falling into place, we have to work towards the goal, but he is right about one thing. Don't stress yourself over it too much. You'll perform better that way." She gave Rosalia a small grin, right up until...

“You’ve got some real straight shooters, don’t you?” Maddy grinned as she hung on Vega’s shoulder, the younger woman’s face still drained of any color, “You know, you should really invite them t-”

“Mom. Can we talk about this outside?”

The coach’s face dropped a bit along with her tone. Not so much angry as… uncomfortable. Annoyed. The cheery Maddy blinked as it happened, giving a nod. “Alright, alright, I don’t wanna pester too much. I just wanted to come see your team, and pass along a message from your dad. If you can step outside with me for a minute, I can do that, and be on my way… oh and one from your auntie too!”

“Yeah, that works. Just… warn me next time, will ya?” With a sigh, Vega nodded, stepping towards the door with her mother in tow. She turned around and pointed at Kendra, “Sorry guys, but I guess I need to handle this. Kendra, you’re closest to the projector and my notes so you’re in charge. Go ahead and go over our opponents this week and you all can start planning while I handle this.”

As Vega pushed her mother out of the door, Maddy leaned back and gave everyone a happy wave, just in time for the door to slam shut behind the duo.

Kendra let out a small yawn as she sat up slowly, shaking her head a bit as she did, “...Dunno what I’m supposed to really say, first time I’m learning about our opponents too. Haven’t had a chance to look into them.”

She made her way towards the projector, flicking it on as the screen lit up in front of the team, “Alright, let’s go… Stormwolf. I’ve vaguely heard of them. They’re not a very notable team… Average performance, they had been in the league for a while. The most notable thing is that for most of their run, they were running with only three team members.”

She tapped to the next slide, pulling up a picture of the Team Captain, “Mason Dunbarr is the captain and his known deck is Cloudians. He’s maintained a positive record, despite being their only Standard duelist. Guy looks even more tired than me.”

Another tap, “Sigrid Talbot. She was their only Action Duelist at first… Vega seems to want us to use the same order as we did against Team Free, which is a choice I guess.”

Kendra snickered a tiny bit at the next slide, “Here’s one for Daichi, their original Turbo Duelist. Corbin Fey, who has since swapped to dual roles. Action and Turbo. Fortune Ladies, which I guess we shouldn’t be surprised over…”

She continued, the next tab showing a woman in a lab coat, a small pause given before she spoke again. “Vanity shot I guess. Eris is their second Turbo Duelist… And finally, we have a new guy. No record, no games, but they finally found a second Standard duelist.”

Kendra’s eyes narrowed a tiny bit as she glanced at the notes Vega left her, a small mumble escaping her, “...Man, the coach’s notes are super scattered. Anyway. Like I said, she seems to want to put us in like she did with Free. She thinks the new guy, Itsuki, would be their standard duelist for the surprise… Dunno why she thinks the other two though. You three good with that?”

Kendra folded her hands on her lap as she sat back, glancing at the others. The bags under her eyes were a bit softer than usual, but other than that… She looked just as tired as always, and just as forward as she glanced between Eve and Sai. Then she turned to Rosalia, "I think you're the better bet here. Your deck is more well-rounded than mine, I'm just good at fine tuning for my next opponent. A benefit to Xyz, ya know? When I don't know what deck they use..." She tapped at the projector lightly, "I don't like my odds as much. Think you can handle this?"

╚═════════. .╝

╔. .═════════╗

"Pomoglo by, yesli by ya ne byl takim tupym idiotom..." Falisha seemed lost in her own world as she sifted through cards, glancing idly at her teammates before walking in. She let out a small breath as Rosalia spoke to her, nodding and giving a soft smile, "Thanks, I do appreciate that. Granted I could have optimized my deck so something like that didn't just totally out me. I even have been looking at the store's lists to see if there's any cards in stock that would help me out."

She stretches in her seat before standing up, picking up her cards and giving them a quick shuffle before they went into her deckbox and went into her pocket as she nodded along with everyone else, a look of shock crossing her face as she was one of the players suggested, "Er, wait, me? I uh... I dunno if I'm such a good idea after how terribly that first match went, I think Eve would be a better pick until my deck is optimized better."

"I'm not sure which of you is most suited for this; Both of you are strong duelists. Perhaps Falisha may be best in the wake of her last match, or Eve, given her opponent made what some would consider a game-making error. But I think either of you can make admirable showings. Unfortunately, I am the only one here without a win on their dueling record. The only one without a loss, as well, but as captain I think I am expected to have a strong showing, and my first was not up to my standards, or of potential sponsors. I do not intend to repeat it."

Falisha scowled a bit, "Gah I need to be better about speaking up, but well..." She scowls a little, "My opponent sent my hand immediately to grave the first game and I didn't play anything, that might have been to an advantage since due to that less of my cards are known to the upcoming opponent's." She sips at a drink she had gotten a while ago in the break room, "Though... can I make a suggestion? I want to show that we're not a totally fractured team that doesn't get along, this might be the last chance this tournament to do that. Anyone have some ideas for how to go about doing that for the next matches? If not I'm fine brainstorming for a bit, some of your opinions on my decklist might actually help me out too if we wind up sending me in cuz uh..." She started sweating bullets, "Have I ever uh... actually -shown- anyone in this room my current decklist?" She seemed to shrink in on that question a little as if she knew the answer wasn't the one she'd want to hear, even shifting nervously as she looked around the room as she suddenly felt like she hoped the meeting ended soon.

Edited by PhoenixOfCute

itdGF3Z.png

Once the meeting was over the crew was able to prep for some time to hang out with one another, just like they had time and time before. This time, rather than Falisha or Kendra, he decided to go with Evelyn this time. Those from the Nippon needed to stick together after all...which did mean it was only a matter of time before he and Sai had to hang out...he still wasn't prepared for that day.

But in either case, he set up the hang out with Eve for Thursday...make it easy on the two of them instead of trying to just rush before the weekend...never a good idea.

Daichi waited, his eyes glancing at his phone at the time. He wasn't in a rush or hurry to get in if Eve was late…however…he knew the food would be the freshest if they would get in right at or before the lunch rush. After all, it was VI Guys, the burgers and fries here couldn't be beat.

Though he did have to ask himself: How is it that the easiest way to hang out with these guys happens to be food? In truth, when he hung out with Kendra, it was more than just food but an Exhibition Match at an arena…with concessions. And with Falisha, it was just them hanging out somewhat at their second team match and opening packs…without food. Perhaps he was just thinking too hard about it.

Eventually, he did end up seeing Eve make her way in his direction. "And here I thought you were gonna be late." he smiled, giving a two-fingered salute.

“So did I,” Eve sighed, parking her D-Wheel and removing her helmet. “Hit just about every red light on the way here. I almost thought about running one of them, but I really don’t want to deal with a ticket.” Eyeing up the food joint where the two agreed to meet for lunch - on Daichi’s glowing recommendation, that is - one question sprung to mind. This was her first time here, and she’d heard good things, but that was all online reviews, which left one confusing thing to be answered…

“So… is it supposed to be pronounced “Vy-Guys” because it rhymes, or “Six Guys”?”

Daichi looked at Eve before looking up at the sign above the restaurant’s door. His hand met his chin as he rubbed it slightly. “...to be honest…I don’t really know.” he admitted.

“Hm. We should look into that sometime, after we eat.” Eve led the way in, admiring the interior design of the place. Lots of posters and records and stuff on the walls. And that fast food smell, but considerably stronger than in other places. “Nice place,” she commented.

“Yeah it’s got a pretty nice aesthetic all things considered.” he nodded, strolling in right behind Eve. “It’s got that retro feel to it, which ain’t bad. But the food sorta improves the aesthetic, surprisingly.”

“What, do they put little decorative Famicom on their burgers or something?” Evelyn joked, stepping up to the register to look over the menu. Surprisingly diverse options! She’d never seen a fast food place sell grilled cheese sandwiches before, but she respected this establishment all the more for it. “I can order for us if you grab us a table. What are you getting?”

“A bacon cheeseburger…and an order of the cajun fries.” Daichi nodded, before leaving Eve to her devices to find a table…perhaps this was a bad decision on his part.

“Got it.”

—A few moments later—

BGM

“...”

Sitting on the table, between Evelyn and Daichi, was a tray. It had Daichi’s bacon cheeseburger, a grilled cheese sandwich for Evelyn… and a veritable mountain of cajun fries. To the untrained observer, it may have seemed more like fries with a side of burger and sandwich, rather than the other way around.

“...is this normal?” she asked.

Daichi’s head was in his hand as he let out an audible sigh. “...Eve…what exactly did you tell the cashier…?”

“Two medium drinks,” Evelyn said, reading off the receipt. “One bacon cheeseburger. One grilled cheese sandwich. And a large cajun fry.”

“A…large cajun fry…” he repeated, his head slowly raising slightly to look at her over the mountain of fries. “Out of curiosity…did you read the reviews on this place? And if so…did you see if any of them said explicitly not to order a large?”

“All the reviews said was that the fries were a great value. I thought it just meant they were really good fries. So I did what I’d do when I’m eating with someone anywhere else and got a large to split, but… I think this is something to split with the whole team, not just two people.”

“Bingo.” Daichi nodded, sighing a bit. “This place isn’t like anywhere else…you fell into their trap and ploy…now we’ve gone into the ‘Potato Dimension’ as it were.” He paused, before stuffing his face with a few of them. “...could be worse though…”

“We could get some to-go boxes once we’ve had our fill,” Eve nodded, saving the fries for after she had the chance to enjoy her sandwich.

“Good point, good point.” Daichi agreed with this notion. After all, it would probably benefit the team after the fact, boost morale and all that jazz. “Though next time, let’s try and not say a large fry…lest we go through this again.” he laughed. After the general potato debacle, Daichi took a swig of his drink and decided to start some conversation. "So, have you decided to run in this upcoming match or are you letting Falisha have another go in the spotlight?"