Flame Dragon

My Hero Academia

So, that most recent chapter. Things are going to get REAL interesting going forward. All you anime watchers have another 2 years before you even get to see the insanity happening right now. 

Anyway, have fun talking about it. And keep spoilers tagged.

Chapter 213:

Spoiler

Everyone seems remarkably nonplussed about what just happened that they're going right back to the match. I feel like Aizawa not stopping it is also irresponsible, though I suppose that's easy for a member of the audience to think given we know what's actually happening with Deku's quirk.

And man, now that we're actually here I think this whole thing is really cool. If you had asked me a few arcs ago about how I'd feel about Deku getting the quirks of the past holders I'm not sure if I would like it. But I feel like there's a nice amount of build up going on. Plus, getting a chance to meet the past holders is awesome, this guy I already like.

And maybe I also like it because it's something new for him to work towards. Because at this point, while he's not done building himself up yet, Deku's pretty much got down how he uses the super strength part of OFA without losing control, so that's not as interesting (plus we've already seen what All Might can do). And let's face it, super strength is about as bog standard a superpower as you can get, and having more options and cool stuff to do can also be considered more interesting.

Someone pointed out to me that it's entirely possible Deku never reaches All Might's level in terms of the super strength, and makes up for it with the other powers. Could you honestly imagine Deku being able to build the amount of swole needed for 100% super strength? Not everyone's bodies are built to build muscle like that. We got to see Full Cowling 100% with the Overhaul fight, so maybe that was meant to be a tease of what could have been.

Edited by Shradow

So... with enough willpower and drive to achieve a goal, Deku can manifest the quirks of everyone who's also had One-For-All before him.

That's... completely insane.

Tell me more.

Wow.

But this makes sense. All Might said he used to be quirkless, but that doesn't apply for the other past holders of One For All. And they said they were considering giving One For All to Togata.

I want to know what led to All Might not using the other quirks and just focusing on using the stockpiled power part of One For All. He might have touched on this in a flashback a little bit ago, I'm due to reread this again later.

I think this is also good because it'll steer Deku further into the direction of becoming his own hero and carving his own identity outside of All Might's shadow.

I'm cool with this and excited to see where the developments go.

Spoiler

All Might never interacted with the past users, he didn't know they could. He got as far as seeing the vision once like how Deku saw it at the Sports Festival, but that was it. I think Nana knew a bit more about it, but even she didn't experience as much as Deku.

Now, whether that's because by using 100% OFA super strength immediately it was like he skipped all the cutscenes/dialogue, so to speak, or perhaps this build up of the "core" of OFA was not ready until the 9th holder.

Edited by Shradow

New chapter.

Spoiler

Mineta knows exactly what he's doing. All according to keikaku.

I wonder what sort of stuff Deku's gonna try and pull with Black Whip. It probably won't be anything too crazy, but he's studied other heroes a ton, such as Aizawa and Kamui Woods, so I imagine he might have at least have a rudimentary idea of how to work whip-like things. He referenced his notes on Aizawa once during the very first battle training with the capture tape, and it's probably easier compared to what Aizawa does since its his own quirk and not an external tool.

And that color page with a new set of fantasy outfits was amazing. Here's hoping for Bakugo to win another popularity contest! :3

Chap 214

That'd be cool if he could learn to swing around like Spider-Man with Black Whip. I think my one very minor nitpick with this is I feel this sorta undermines Sero's presence for having a similar power. But maybe Whip will have different properties than Sero's tape and Deku won't be using it to stick to stuff, guess we'll see.

I never put together the similarities Shinso and Aizawa have until this chapter, that's a neat parallel and I'm glad he's showing faith in Shinso and wanting him to succeed.

I don't think we have to worry about that.

Spoiler

These are just my assumptions about Black Whip based on what we've seen so far, but I don't think it'll make Sero irrelevant. First of all, I don't think it's sticky, it might have to grab or wrap around things like an appendage, so that would lead to slight difference in use. More importantly, it seems to be some sort of energy and not an actual physical object like Sero's tape. I don't think it can detach and remain like Sero's tape, so it lacks a lot of the same utility. It does grant him better mobility like Sero, but it's not like Deku's mobility was bad to begin with. If he hadn't fallen off the pipe during the rescue race training, I think he would've beaten Sero.

I think this might actually be a great time for Sero to get more screentime. Much like Deku went to Iida for advice about leg-based combat, he might go to Sero for advice about Black Whip. Plus, they've already had cool and fun interactions in the past. Sero's one of my favorite characters out of 1A so I'd love to see him do more.

Edited by Shradow

Spoiler

Super happy to see Uraraka do something awesome for the first time in awhile. Her quick thinking helped her and Shinso calm down Deku, she captured Monoma, then very swiftly incapacitated two others. The sudden neck chop knockout caught me by surprise and I bet that would look kickass animated. Great work!

Spoiler

We're back from a week break and what a way to start off an arc.

The new villain in terms of appearance and actions reminds me of Joker + Norman Osborn, with Magneto's philosophy as well. This whole setup really gives off the feel of how much Horikoshi loves and is influenced by western comics. I hope we get to see some kickass League of Villains vs Special Abilities Liberation Army vs Heroes action.

And it took Bakugo a whole 30 minutes to find some villains to beat up? I'm almost disappointed.

Also RIP Miyashita.

Edited by Shradow

Spoiler

The kill scene is pretty chilling. Just slowly crushes the poor guy. Curious where the Liberation Army is going to go since the founders ideology makes me think of AfO. Also, given how old he is, I'm certain he played a roll in it. 

Yo this chapter was fucking amazeballs.

Spoiler

Holy fuck I knew we were getting Toga development but I wasn't expecting this. This chapter was fucking sick, in both the good way and the bad way. So Toga can use the quirks of people she's copied but unlike someone like Monoma she has to actually figure out how they work first. It helps that Uraraka's quirk activates automatically, and she only had to realize that and start touching everything, and she knew how to cancel the quirk from her studying Uraraka previously.

And this just confirms what we already knew about how busted Uraraka's quirk can be. She's just far too nice to do stuff like this to people, but generally gravity powers are crazy good.

Edited by Shradow

31 minutes ago, Shradow said:

Yo this chapter was fucking amazeballs.

Hide contents

Holy fuck I knew we were getting Toga development but I wasn't expecting this. This chapter was fucking sick, in both the good way and the bad way. So Toga can use the quirks of people she's copied but unlike someone like Monoma she has to actually figure out how they work first. It helps that Uraraka's quirk activates automatically, and she only had to realize that and start touching everything, and she knew how to cancel the quirk from her studying Uraraka previously.

And this just confirms what we already knew about how busted Uraraka's quirk can be. She's just far too nice to do stuff like this to people, but generally gravity powers are crazy good.

Spoiler

I thought they were gonna kill her off at first and was really upset. But that was sure...something. tbh kind of an expected backstory just a bit more twisted than I thought it'd be.

Makes me wonder if there was any hope for her to not snap or if that was inevitable. Kinda sad to think about.

Spoiler

Maybe she just needed better people around her then she may have come out okay. But constant talk like, "Be normal." only serves to alienate people like her even more. Not saying they should've condoned her actions but there had to have been a less murdery way for her to express herself and deal with her compulsion towards blood if her parents were willing to explore it. And stuff like that happens in real life all the time too (obviously not in the context of people having creepy super powers but you know what I mean).

But maybe you're right, with such an extreme quirk and nature it might've been impossible for her to be accepted into "normal" society, proper care may not have ever been enough.

Edited by Shradow

Chapters 225~226

Spoiler

Rant and unpopular opinion incoming. I forget if I stated it in YCM/NCM before but when I talk about MHA I often bring up that I'm not a fan of Ochako neither Toga, as they feel too "shoehorned" into the audience due to the tropes surrounding them (e.g. Toga is a yandere crazy "schoolgirl", with outfit and all) as well as the plenty of attention both get, while they put aside the rest of the cast for longer periods. These chapters further reinforce that opinion. First, from all the members of the League, Toga is the one who gets special interest. They could have chosen anyone, but of course, Toga it is.. Then, it shows Toga getting stronger, to the point of apparently inflicting heavy damage to one of the leaders. Also, copying power is no joke. What if/when she masters Deku's? I find amusing how potentially there can be now 3 users of Deku's power counting himself, Monoma, and now Toga. It annoys me a bit that the power-copying ability was already covered by Monoma, and but they just had to give it to one of the pet characters Toga too, right?
As if that wasn't enough, we indirectly get to see how deadly Ochako's power can be, and by extent implies she can use it in such way if she had the guts for it. So even when she is not physically around, we get to see her xD
During chapter 225, when Toga was cornered, I really hoped they would actually kill her for the planned martyr example, but then I remembered this is not One Piece, and they have yet to kill anyone IIRC in this series, so I doubted anything like that would happen. Instead, we get to see her knock an entire squad out.

Edited by A Crap Guide to CC

^Just got me thinking

I did not think of that for Toga learning how to use all of Deku's powers. Is it possible for her to obtain One For All? Because I believe All Might said the power can only be passed consensually/conscientiously and she stole Deku's blood, that's the key difference.

But if they pull something or it turns out there's a trick to do afterwards that doesn't require Deku's consent, that could be a big problem if she can figure all that out. Even if she can't control the strength part of One For All and passes on the power to the rest of the League of Villains and the Noumus. If that scenario were to play out, Stain could potentially tap into the power too.

Society might be fucked.

Otherwise, I think the alternative is she can't use any of Deku's powers because they all come from All For One and she wouldn't be able to access any of it.

But that was a good chapter, that ending spread was sick (in both senses of the word).

7 hours ago, A Crap Guide to CC said:

Chapters 225~226

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Couple issues I have with this.

1. Shiragaki and Dabi have had more screentime by far than her overall (and we literally just got more backstory for the former) and we got Double's backstory much earlier.
2. She's always been dangerous, she's just not shown fighting as often as she usually is meant to go in and out quick. (I think this is her only real "fight" where the goal was to beat an opponent)
3. Monoma can't copy Denku's power we already saw that, and I don't think Toga can either.
4. It's not about Ochako's lack of guts it's that it's really hard to intentionally kill someone, and unheroic.
5. Overhaul literally killed a hero and a League of Villains character during his arc.

7 hours ago, LordCowCow said:
  Hide contents

Couple issues I have with this.

1. Shiragaki and Dabi have had more screentime by far than her overall (and we literally just got more backstory for the former) and we got Double's backstory much earlier.
2. She's always been dangerous, she's just not shown fighting as often as she usually is meant to go in and out quick. (I think this is her only real "fight" where the goal was to beat an opponent)
3. Monoma can't copy Denku's power we already saw that, and I don't think Toga can either.
4. It's not about Ochako's lack of guts it's that it's really hard to intentionally kill someone, and unheroic.
5. Overhaul literally killed a hero and a League of Villains character during his arc.

Spoiler

1. Shigaraki is understandable because it's the League's leader or successor. I wouldn't say Dabi has more screentime. Remember when Toga infiltrated the Hero exam, disguised as that female student from the other school. Also she was "exchanged" along Double to Overhaul's crew. Thus, she has had plenty of exposure already.
2. The same can be said from the rest of the League. To be fair, I guess the rest eventually will be developed. One can't deny Toga has a noteworthy lead, though.
3. That's what they say now, but Quirks are always improving, evolving. With experience, practice, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Monoma gets to use more of Deku's power, if the story goes into that direction, of course. Likewise, they can always make Toga grow enough to replicate Deku's power. IIRC she managed to get a vial of blood from Deku, right? So the potential of exploring such route is there.
4. Indeed, I misused the word there and went for an exaggeration. I mean that killing goes against Ochako's ideology, principles, and I guess morality as well.
5. Oh, you are right! Forgot there have been a couple of deaths. There is still hope for Toga to become a martyr.

Spoiler

Does Toga even have any of Deku's blood anymore? She took bascially a single drop from the license exam, and probably used it all up when she transformed into him in the Overhaul arc.

No amount of quirk development would allow Monoma to use OFA like Deku can. The thing is, he's already copied OFA itself perfectly, there's nothing more to improve on copying the quirk itself. But it's impossible for him to copy all the build up it's gotten over the generations, so his OFA is just his own power so it's no different from his normal state. The series has been very adamant so far about quirks being consistent. Certain new things can be learned, like Tsuyu's camouflage, but that's still within the scope of her quirk of "being able to do things a frog can do," but it's not like she'd be able to train or study enough to gain abilities from other amphibians or anything.

Toga realizing her quirk can also copy the person's quirk is just an application of what was explained in the beginning of the series about how a person may learn how their quirk actually works, like All Might talking about registering a quirk as the ability to create water, and then learning you're actually drawing water in from the air around you and so your quirk would have to be re-registered with that new information.

And I wouldn't say Toga has made Monoma notably less relevant, either. They can both copy quirks, but Monoma can do so much easier (a simple touch instead of getting access to and consuming the person's blood) and unlike Toga who has to figure things out, Monoma seems to have instant knowledge of how the quick he's copied works and is able to just use it like his own.

Edited by Shradow

Spoiler

We also don't know if Toga's ability to copy quirks has limits to them. It is notable that Ochako's quirk is tied directly into her body, the pads on her fingers. So it stands to reason that while Toga might be able to copy those kinds of quirks she might not be able to copy ones that are "internal".

Spoiler

I have thought about how surely he must've know by now that he was real because enough injury would make him disappear if he wasn't and he was just still suffering from his fear and paranoia making him think he was still possibly a clone, but I guess I never considered or realized that he just hasn't gotten this hurt until now.

That page of all the Twice clones is definitely one of my favorites in the series. And while this is Twice's "power-up," it's not really to do with suddenly strengthening his Quirk since his Quirk has been OP busted from day 1, but has to do with his own sense of closure and confirmation that he's real, which I really like and am happy for him that he's now been able find out.

Chapter 228-229:

Spoiler

Damn, ensuing action with Twice got me excited. Indeed, this is not him getting suddenly stronger, but displaying more of his true power. The continuing Toga pandering still bugs me a bit, but I can look past that if it leads to Twice showing off.

Spoiler

I can't believe the Joker/Norman Osborne character was actually the Hulk this whole time. If he fights Gigantomachia that'll be sick.

And we finally see Spinner's quirk and it's largely useless. Though theoretically he might be able to do more gecko-like things, like how Tsuyu trained to be able to do more frog-like things.

So, that back story. The current arc is looking to be nearing the end and I'm looking forward to reuniting with class 1-A, but man was this a spectacular arc.