Flame Dragon

My Hero Academia

There's not a lot I feel needs to be said about chapter 236, just... Holy fucking shit, dude, I'm like actually shaking...

So, let's see if I can't bring this back. For those that read the most recent chapter, I HIGHLY recommend looking at the Vigilantes spinoff series chapter 59 to the end of the flashback. Will make the recent chapter have 100x more impact.

I love Vigilantes, and let me tell you I have been all up in my feelings over these last few chapters of MHA. I'm actually really glad I read Vigilantes before it got to this point, because boy oh boy did it hit me like a train. 

Aside from that I wonder if *not gonna spoil* still has the cat? It would be really cool if he was like a grumpy old cat now or maybe the cat was brought in to jog his memory? Idk but this arc is going to be such strong character development for Eraser, Endavor, and the others. 

Also, if y'all have been keeping up with Vigilantes I'm kind of sad it's in the last arc, but the story is kind of moving on from fighting plot and into slice of life? Like yeah I like that we're getting a lot more interpersonal relationships, and we're working on the characters transitioning into a new chapter of life, but it would of been so much stronger if that was done through some other larger plot? Like there's so many options, especially when it comes to underground villain organizations that don't even get brought up in MHA until the yakuza arc. I personally think that the writers got what they wanted from the story and decided to end it on a "high" note, but there are still so many unanswered questions that it leaves me sort of unsatisfied. IDK maybe I'm jumping the gun here because we still haven't to finish the arc, but it just doesn't seem like they are going to reach the full potential this story has. 

That being said tho, for anyone who hasn't read it I recommend it because it was so fun to read about a very unlikely set of "heroes" that kind of made me hate how their hero system works. Like, yeah it's sort of obvious that the hero system has major flaws because there are entire villain organizations based on that idea alone, but because our heroes in this story are vigilantes and there is a sense of "what I'm doing is illegal as well" they have a different relationship with "villains". So much so that some of the villains are rehabilitated, and moved into a quirky but functioning part of society that really makes me respect what they are doing more - like, they aren't just beating up bad guys (which MHA doesn't do ether, I'm just simplifying it) but they are actually treating them like humans too and doing what in my mind is an aspect of hero work that's crucially missing from their society. I guess if the writers are doing a commentary on today's society it ties in well - idk how much that's true though because I don't live in Japan so idk how their prison system works BUT if I think about the US prison system where most people don't get the rehabilitation they need to be functioning members of society again, than yes I can see a parallel.  

Overall it's good story telling, fight scenes, and plot at it's best, and slow side stories that leave you thirsty for some action/plot advancement at it's worst.

Thumbnail

Edited by Rapidfire

Dangs sounds like I really need to read it lol

Also something I've been thinking about. Does it feel to anyone else that a lot of the characters are getting less screentime? I get that they need to focus on the plot and the "main" group but it's also sorta a shame that a lot of them didn't really get much time specifically dedicated to them.

Like Mina, dammit

Vigilantes is well worth a read. The original cast is fun and the stuff with the MHA characters has mostly just been cute little stuff showing them before we meet them in the main series. It was only with the recent chapters that it went from "cute background stuff that doesn't add a ton" to "you really want to check this out for the full impact". As for it ending, given its pacing it likely has another year or two left so it will be around for a bit longer still. 

Part of the focus issue is that half of the year was spent with the villains. The joint training did try to give a little moment to all of the 1-A kids at least, though obviously the core half dozen or so got the major focus.

So I only just realized this. Only open if you've caught up on the manga.

Spoiler

The evil doctor dude. He's the same guy as the one from the first episode who told Deku as a child that he was quirkless. I wonder if that was just a foreshadow or if it's gonna be relevant in some way.

5 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

So I only just realized this. Only open if you've caught up on the manga.

Reveal hidden contents

Actually...[Only open if caught up]

Spoiler

The evil doctor, Kyudai Garaki (also known as Daruma Ujiko) only bears a resemblance to the doctor from the first episode/manga chapter, as that doctor's name is "Dr. Tsubasa".

Now this could be the case, but that's yet to be seen. If anything, it's just a designing choice on Horikoshi's part.