|0P|

Make a Negative Monster Game (because I have an obsession)

Pretty much the same as every other "Make a ___ Card" game just with my own (not particularly original) Sub-Type. And because I need something to do when I'm bored I'll try my best to make images to go with any cards that aren't given any and add them here

Cards Created

Spoiler

Tinkerer

EscherMonstrosity by inkescher

YingYangWarrior by inkescher

Lystern

FalseGodsVessel by inkescher

CharcoalSlime by inkescher

Naidraug

Chronocat by inkescher

FalseGodsManifestation by inkescher

Rules

1. All monsters must have the "Negative" Subtype and have either the "Negative Clause" (see rule 2) or an effect that allows their Level or Rank to become a negative number OR must directly support/be supported by Negative monsters.

2. All monsters types can be Negative except Link due to the lack of a Level or similar attribute that can be given a Negative value, Links that require Negatives as tribute or benefit from being linked to them are allowed.

3. Suggestions can come in the form a card name, a Type/Attribute, an additional Sub-Type, an effect/premise, or any combination of the 4

beyond that it's the basic rules

4. If you create a card leave a prompt

5. You must respond to the most recent prompt only

(Not a rule, more a design note to keep in mind, Negative monsters tend to have strange effects such as having no Attribute or only being able to be summoned during your opponents turn)

to get the ball rolling here's some examples of what you can do with Negative monsters

Spoiler

A basic archetypal searcher aside from the "Negative Clause"

Fb by inkescher

It's "Negative Clause" is worded differently to allow for it's Level changing effect, it also happens to be a Pendulum monster and Tuner that lets you Synchro Summon during your opponents turn by using it while in the Pendulum Zone

Gsr by inkescher

This one has the option to not even be considered a Negative monster, along with the Arcana gimmick of having different (but similar) effects depending on a coin flip.

Tdb by inkescher

"When this card is summoned flip a coin, if heads this card level is treated as -4, if tails this card is not treated as a Negative monster. While this card is a Negative monster you can tribute this card, special summon one "Discordian" monster from your deck, it must be treated as a Negative monster and it's level becomes equal to it's current level x-1. While this card is not a Negative monster you can tribute this card to special summon one "Discordian" monster from your graveyard, it cannot be treated as a negative monster and it's level cannot be changed."

an otherwise generic Xyz monster that happens to be Negative.

EvilOutputDevice by inkescher

"2 Level -5 monsters
You can detach one Xyz Material from this card, activate one of the following effects;
- Target one card in your graveyard, return it to your deck.
- Draw one card then, if it was a Negative monster, draw one card.
After one of this cards effects resolves inflict 300 damage to your opponent. This card's Rank is treated as -5."

As for a suggestion how about a monster that has effects based on the combined Levels of all monsters on the field, the closer to zero the better the effect.

Edited by |0P|

You never really explained how they work exactly.  I assume they're basically just Main Deck monsters, but with a negative level?

Escher Monstrosity
DARK -********
Beast/Negative/Effect
You can tribute 2 monsters whose combined total Levels equal 0: Special Summon this card from your hand or GY.  You can only control 1 "Escher Monstrosity".  If the combined total Levels of all monsters you control equals 0: You can destroy all other cards on the field.  You can only use this effect of "Escher Monstrosity" once per turn.  This card's Level is always treated as -8.
3000/3000

Next: Make another generic Negative Monster

EscherMonstrosity by inkescher

16 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

You never really explained how they work exactly.  I assume they're basically just Main Deck monsters, but with a negative level?

Escher Monstrosity
DARK -********
Beast/Negative/Effect
You can tribute 2 monsters whose combined total Levels equal 0: Special Summon this card from your hand or GY.  You can only control 1 "Escher Monstrosity".  If the combined total Levels of all monsters you control equals 0: You can destroy all other cards on the field.  You can only use this effect of "Escher Monstrosity" once per turn.  This card's Level is always treated as -8.
3000/3000

Next: Make another generic Negative Monster

my bad, thought it was self explainitory, it's just any monster who's Level/Rank is/has the capability of being a negative value

False God's Vessel

DARK
Psychic/Negative/Effect
Level 4 - 1100/2100

(This card's Level can be treated as Level -4.)
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Send 1 card from your hand to GY. During your turn, except the turn this card is sent to GY: Banish this card from your GY; then Special Summon 1 Negative monster from your GY. You can use this effect of "False God's Vessel" once per turn.
--------------------
Negative form of existing card.

I got this one

ShroudedAngel by inkescher

"When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Negative monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck, in face-up Attack Position. This cards level is always treated as -4"

5 hours ago, Lystêrn said:

False God's Vessel

DARK
Psychic/Negative/Effect
Level 4 - 1100/2100

(This card's Level can be treated as Level -4.)
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Send 1 card from your hand to GY. During your turn, except the turn this card is sent to GY: Banish this card from your GY; then Special Summon 1 Negative monster from your GY. You can use this effect of "False God's Vessel" once per turn.
--------------------
Negative form of existing card.

FalseGodsVessel by inkescher

And how about next something that isn't Light or Dark.

Chronocat

EARTH

Beast/Negative/Effect

Level -1

150/250

You can banish 1 Negative Monster from your GY; Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, you can make this card's level anything between -1 and the level of the banished monster.

-----

A monster that shuffles something into the deck

Edited by Naidraug

5 hours ago, Naidraug said:

Chronocat

EARTH

Beast/Negative/Effect

Level -1

150/250

You can banish 1 Negative Monster from your GY; Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, you can make this card's level anything between -1 and the level of the banished monster.

-----

A monster that shuffles something into the deck

Chronocat by inkescher

Ying-Yang Warrior
LIGHT -****
Warrior/Negative/Effect
You can shuffle 1 Level 4 "Ying-Yang" monster from your GY into your Deck to Special Summon this card from your hand.  If a card(s) is shuffled from your GY into your Deck: You can target 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field or their GY; shuffle that target into the Deck.  This card's Level is always treated as -4.
1800/1400

Next:

Either: Another "Ying-Yang" monster OR a Level/Rank Neg-5 to Neg-10 monster (or both, if you're feeling really ambitious)

(By the by, can you repost Escher Monstrosity?  I don't think I ever saw it...)

13 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Ying-Yang Warrior
LIGHT -****
Warrior/Negative/Effect
You can shuffle 1 Level 4 "Ying-Yang" monster from your GY into your Deck to Special Summon this card from your hand.  If a card(s) is shuffled from your GY into your Deck: You can target 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field or their GY; shuffle that target into the Deck.  This card's Level is always treated as -4.
1800/1400

Next:

Either: Another "Ying-Yang" monster OR a Level/Rank Neg-5 to Neg-10 monster (or both, if you're feeling really ambitious)

(By the by, can you repost Escher Monstrosity?  I don't think I ever saw it...)

I put all of them in a spoiler at the top as well as replying to with them to the original post

YingYangWarrior by inkescher

LightandDarknessUnityDragon by inkescher

(Light/Dragon/Negative/Effect/8/2800/2400)

"This card is always treated as a "Ying-Yang" monster and "Light and Darkness Dragon", This card is also treated as DARK-Attribute. This card cannot be Summoned except by it's own effect. When "Light and Darkness Dragon" is sent from your GY to your Deck you can Special Summon this card. Once per chain, during either players turn, you can shuffle one "Ying-Yang" Monster or "Light and Darkness Draogn" from your GY into the deck, negate the activation of a Spell, Trap, or Monster effect and destroy that card. This card's Level is also treated as -8."

for some reason that was the first thing I thought of, anyways how about the "false god" from Lystêrns card as an upgrade for it

False God's Manifestation

Dark

Psychic/Negative/Effect

Level 8

3000/2100

(This card's Level can be treated as Level -8.)

This monster cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. this monster cannot be Special Summoned, except by its own effect. You can tribute 2 Negative monsters you control; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of "False God's Manifestation" once per turn. If this card battles an opponent's monster (Quick Effect): you can banish 1 Negative monster from your GY; banish the opponent's monster this card is battling, then your opponent takes damage equal to half the combined ATK of the monsters banished by this effect. If this card was Special Summoned by tributing a "False God" monster, this card gains the following effect:

- Once per turn, during your End Phase; you can return 1 banished Negative monster to your hand.

-----

Next: A Negative Synchro Monster

Edited by Naidraug
Fixing Grammar

FalseGodsManifestation by inkescher

42 minutes ago, Naidraug said:

False God's Manifestation

Dark

Psychic/Negative/Effect

Level 8

3000/2100

(This card's Level can be treated as Level -8.)

This monster cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. this monster cannot be Special Summoned, except by its own effect. You can tribute 2 Negative monsters you control; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of "False God's Manifestation" once per turn. If this card battles an opponent's monster (Quick Effect): you can banish 1 Negative monster from your GY; banish the opponent's monster this card is battling, then your opponent takes damage equal to half the combined ATK of the monsters banished by this effect. If this card was Special Summoned by tributing a "False God" monster, this card gains the following effect:

- Once per turn, during your End Phase; you can return 1 banished Negative monster to your hand.

-----

Next: A Negative Synchro Monster

Gas by inkescher

"1 Tuner + 1 or more Negative Monsters
When a monster is Synchro Summoned using only this card and other Synchro Monsters as Materials Special Summon the other Synchro Material Monsters. This card's Level is always treated as -5."

I wanted to try for something that, while difficult to use with Link monsters being a thing, can theoretically be splashed into any deck seeking to quickly fill the board with synchro's, more specifically for when you don't have enough zones to get out materials and you don't want to lose the Synchro's you already have. I also really wanted to come up with a name who's acronym is "GAS"

how about a Fire monster?

Charcoal Slime

FIRE -**

Aqua/Tuner/Effect

If this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon FIRE monster from your GY with 200 ATK and a negative Level. This card's Level is always treated as -3.

200/900

A Negative monster that supports an irl archetype.

2 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Charcoal Slime

FIRE -**

Aqua/Tuner/Effect

If this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon FIRE monster from your GY with 200 ATK and a negative Level. This card's Level is always treated as -3.

200/900

A Negative monster that supports an irl archetype.

what do you think of the different borders and text box?

CharcoalSlime by inkescher

Definitely has a more distinctive look, I'll give it that. I like it more than the original design, personally.

Also, I realize I messed up a few things on the last card. I wanted it to be Level -2, but I forgot to change it in the effect text. I think you caught the other mixed up stuff though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By |0P|
      Once again in the mood to share my ideas, this time the somewhat incomplete "Zaparticle" Archtype, a group of Thunder monsters that like to either have empty zones between them or a sequence of monsters whose combined Level is 0 to make their spell/traps and ED monsters more powerful, all loosely based on the idea of positive/negative ions. it uses my (very unoriginal) concepts of "Negative" monsters (monsters whose level is a negative value) and my iteration of Trap Pendulums (seen here: 
      The Monsters
          The strategy primarily revolves around using the effects of the three pendulum monsters to easily swarm the field, after which they can be used as both link materials and tribute fodder for you link monster's effects.

"Once per turn, If you have a Thunder-Type monster in your other Pendulum Zone, you can draw one card for each empty zone between (exclusive) this card and that monster."
      "If you control a face-up Thunder-Type Negative Monster you can Special Summon this card to a zone adjacent to that monster."

"Once per turn, If you have a Thunder-Type monster in your other Pendulum Zone, you can target one card on the field; return that card to it's owners Hand. You cannot Pendulum Summon except "Zaparticle" Monsters. (this cards Pendulum Scales is always treated as -2)."
      "If you control a face-up Thunder-Type Monster with a positive Level you can Special Summon this card to a zone adjacent to that monster. This cards Level is always treated as -1."

"Target two Thunder-Type Monsters you control whose combined Levels equals 0, monsters you control in zones between those targets cannot be removed from the field until the Endphase, then you can Pendulum Summon Thunder-Type monsters. This cards Pendulum Scale is always treated as the scale of the monster in your other Pendulum Zone x-1."
      "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If you control Thunder-Type monsters whose combined Levels equals 0 you can Special Summon this card from your Hand."
          The Link monsters, with the exception of Collida, each have effects revolving around the level of monsters you tribute for their effects or summon.

"1 Thunder-Type monsters
      You can also Link Summon this card by discarding one "Zaparticle Prota" and "Zaparticle Electra", if Link Summoned this way you can, immediately after this effect resolves, Link Summon one "Zaparticle" monster from your Extra Deck using this card and other "Zaparticle" monsters you control. Once per turn you can tribute this Link Summoned monster (quick effect); Special Summon up to three monsters from your Hand, GY, or faceup from your Extra Deck whose combined Levels equals 0. You can only Link Summon one "Zaparticle Collida" per turn."

"2 Thunder-Type Monsters
      This card and any monster it is used as a Link Material for the summon of gains the following effects based on the level of "Zaparticle Monsters used as Materials for this card's Link Summon;
      ● -1 or lower: This card is immune to Spell Cards/Effects.
      ● 0: When this card is summoned destroy cards on the field equal to the number of empty zonesthis card points to.
      ● 1 or higher: This card is immune to trap cards/effects."

"3 Thunder-Type monsters
      If you control a Negative Monster and a monster with a positive Level you can move this card to a main monster zone between those monsters. Once per turn you can tribute a monster linked to this card, add one "Zaparticle" Spell or Trap card from your Deck to your Hand."
      image has an error, Reactor Dragon's ATK is 2800

"2+ Thunder-Type and/or Negative Monsters
      Once per turn you can tribute a monster linked to this card, activate the appropriate effect based on that monsters Level;
      ● -1 or lower: this card can attack all monsters with a positive Level your opponent controls during your next battlephase.
      ●0: add monsters from your Deck or face-up from your Extra Deck to your Hand whose combined Levels equals 0.
      ●1 or higher: Special Summon one Thunder-Type Monster from your GY or Face-up from your Extra Deck to a zone this card points to."
      The Spells/Traps
      I currently don't have images for the few spells/traps I have made.
      Ionized Zaparticles
      Quickplay
      "Discard one card then target two Thunder-Type Monsters you control whose combined Levels equals 0; Special Summon as many "Zaparticle Ion Token" (Thunder/LIGHT/Level 0/ATK 0/DEF 0) as possible to Monster Zones between those targeted monsters."
      Zaparticle Inversion
      Normal
      "Target one Thunder-Type monster you control; it's Level becomes equal to it's original Level x-1."
      Zaparticle Barrier
      Continuous
      "Face-up Thunder-Type monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle or your opponents card effects. Destroy this card if the combined Levels of monsters you control is not 0."
      Charged Zaparticles
      Normal
      "Target all "Zaparticle" monsters you control in zones adjacent to each other whose combined Levels equals 0; Those monsters gain 500 ATK for each targeted monster until the Endphase."
    • By ChaosRagnarok100
      Good night everyone, I present to you my first creation of the archetype that I want to create based on the famous saga of horror games from FNAF. Through this forum I will share all my ideas about this project, I would like to know your opinion about this design. Do you like the idea? 👀

• By |0P|
      a few months ago I took a look at a set of cards intended for the final boss of my first Yugioh RP (never made it that far) and did a major update, they're almost completely different cards now but I'm still happy with them. for those wondering about the name their original gimmick involved making use of Destiny Board and the Spirit Message cards.

Support Cards
      Destined Monsters

• By |0P|
      Yes, it's yet another take on the ever popular "What if pendulum monsters but trap cards" and while I don't expect even my version of the concept to be particularly unique it's been some time since I've made a post about my cards. While I consider this, like most of the more out there stuff I make, more a proof of concept than a well thought out and balanced set notes on the individual cards are always appreciated.
      The Mechanic
      The Cards
    • By Doigt
      So, last Monday I started a little game project as an excuse to experiment with my ConsolePaint library for .Net, but also as an exercise for a much more ambitious project later (which will be fully retro). For this occasion, I thought I'd replicate one of my favourite games of the NES; Tetris, but with a twist; the user should be able to create his own difficulty by directly modifying drop delays, game execution speed and the rate at which the game becomes faster (and thus, more challenging).
      There are a couple of challenges in doing a game in the console terminal:
      Printing characters to the console window is slow. Refreshing the screen is even slower and just printing the characters on new lines wouldn't entirely sell the illusion of a piece moving. You can only use characters when using the terminal, so no graphics (duh!) In this case, the "user interface" needs to be user friendly enough so that anyone can play and alter the game variables without having to remember the command names. There needs to be some kind of sound for tetrises and background music. I couldn't really solve the first problem since .Net doesn't have any way to hijack the console screen buffer like in C++ with windows.h, so I ended up trying to minimize as much as possible calls to Write and WriteLine by only writing and rewriting in precise areas of the screen by repositioning the cursor. Because some areas of the screen are only drawn once or occasionally, it saved some execution time. This did more to solve the second problem than the first one actually, since it entirely got rid of the slow refresh problem you'd get with the Clear method.
      First shot shows the areas where the characters are only printed once on the screen. Second shot shows areas which are only reprinted when the information needs to be updated.

So the thing with Tetris is that the game is basically just squares on a screen. You don't need to be particularly fancy with the graphic design and people know this (except maybe the folks who made Tetris Effect haha). However, I still wanted to use the most out of the character set to make it as pleasant to the eye as possible. This is where the lack of graphics really hurts because the .Net console only supports 16 colours and a limited set of characters. I did notice also that the pieces in classic nes Tetris actually don't always use the same palette and appearance, so I at least wanted to include alternating colours and use fun characters as alternative tetromino blocks. However, after I started showing pictures on a few discord groups and to friends, all were unanimous that the special characters HAD to go and at least half of them found the colours jarring and too much to process. That made me sad because I really liked the fun character set and I sincerely thought the colours made the experience better. But I aim to please everyone, including I. So what I ended up doing is making those things optional; they can be turned on and off in the game settings.
      The above screenshot shows a game where the special characters are disabled with colour enabled, this one below is the reverse. These options are not mutually exclusive by the way; you can have grey bland tetrominos or colourful tetrominos using the fun characters.

"The fool did not see that he was not Tetris ready. He was severely disappointed!"
      Now, there remains the case of the GUI. If I was going to write code for something which wouldn't make people flee, it would take a while. Remember earlier when I wrote that I was looking for an excuse to use my ConsolePaint library? Well, I put it to good use. All these rectangles on the screen were "drawn" by it, I just called the right methods and it wasn't even something I had to worry about. The library can draw all sorts of different borders too and initially I tried a more varied design until I ended up with what we have now. I also used that library to draw a picture on the screen so that the main menu didn't look too empty. What I did first was to draw some quick pixel "art". The colours of the image were converted to the 16 colour palette of the .Net console and then the pixels were converted to characters. Although in this case, the conversion was probably not needed. The image I drew:
      The result:

You may be surprised to see that I named my Tetris clone "Retro Tetro Pro". That's actually because the name Tetris is trademarked. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I want no trouble for a game which only a few number of people are going to play.
      I'm not going to talk to much about the user friendliness of the GUI, I think navigating the menus with the arrow keys and pressing enter is a pretty obvious design choice. However it may or may not surprise you to learn that I didn't use a switch statement or if statement for handling user choices in the menu. That would have been too long and tedious! Instead I chose to put some actions in an array and the arrow keys actually increase or decrease an index which is used to call those actions. I wish I had thought of that before. Strictly speaking of design though, the only thing I consciously thought about for more than one second is how to give an obvious visual cue that a value is being increased or decreased. I chose to print a green upward triangle when the user is increasing a value and red downward triangle when the user is decreasing the value. You can see more of the GUI and the effects the options have on the game in this little demonstration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuE_L0-kAlI
      Those who went ahead and watched the video will notice that the game only plays a sound when its in the menu... That's actually a reflection of the how bad it is to use sounds in .Net. There was nothing I could do to really play music or fun sounds without it being a huge pain in the neck. I tried several solutions and ways to circumvent the problem, but the tools .Net comes with are insufficient for a pleasant experience. I figure if I have enough time and motivation in the future that I'll have to use a custom sound library with .Net bindings; Beeps are too annoying and trial-and-error based to be practical and the SoundPlayer is incredibly frustrating; it has its own little thread and it does its own little thing, so no way to directly interact with it or do "complex" algorithms like having a playlist of music or playing consecutive sounds. It plays the tune until its over or until the process is dead and sometimes its stop method inexplicably doesn't work. Also there's no way to tell when the SoundPlayer is done... not mentioning several limitations like being limited to playing wav files out of anything. At this point, I was a bit tired of working on this project and anyways, to me, one of the rare people on earth who does not enjoy music due to a medical condition, it was the least of my priorities.
      Thus, I felt it was a job well done and decided to release the game to a slightly wider audience with the bugged music player (I ended up removing the music altogether in the new version because the obsolete wav files made the download too large). I haven't gotten a lot of feedback yet because well... it's a Tetris clone. Everyone and their grandmother has both played and made it before. So I can't tell you if it was a success from the point of view of others. But I can tell you I'm satisfied with what I came up with despite the fact that I wasn't able to solve every issue I had. I learned a lot of things by putting myself to the challenge of making it work in the terminal window and it was a pretty interesting experience which I don't regret.
      Thank you for reading this post. And if you try Tetro Retro Pro, thank you once more, it makes me incredibly happy that it will not all be merely for showing off and experimenting.
      You can download the game here. Arrow keys to move and z to rotate.