yui

Yui's AMA

27 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

what's with your obsession with those stop/start gifs lately?

these just happen to be the gifs i stumble upon, but i do dig the general aesthetic of them. it helps key points in the animation really stick out

What are 3 of the biggest things that you think should be added or fixed in Craftopia that we haven't already discussed?

Edited by Thar

1 hour ago, Thar said:

What are 3 of the biggest things that you think should be added or fixed in Craftopia that we haven't already discussed?

It's not quite what you asked, but I'd like to start with something I think shouldn't be added/fixed since it's been on my mind lately. Guns. Guns do a frankly ridiculous amount of damage; the very first gun does more damage per shot than the strongest bow with the strongest arrows using Magnum Shot (an endgame bow skill), but they only pump out their full damage at certain ranges, the bullets are harder to craft than arrows, and most importantly, there are no skills associated with guns. This last one feels like a fair tradeoff for the higher utility of bows, which can grab things like Magnum Shot, Rapid Fire, and Jump Shot, and can land headshots at any distance. If anything I'd argue no gun skills is also a benefit, since it means you can spec into other useful stuff like supplementary magic, general mobility, or pet mastery, without hampering the real core of your build.

Anyway, things that should be added/fixed, right, let's talk about that.

1. More island types. We've got about a dozen right now, but with terrain currently being all the same per each type of island, some new types would help vary things up in lieu of procedurally-generated terrain while the devs hopefully work on that.
  2. TOOLTIPS!!! Or otherwise an in-game guide to different things since the wiki for this game is approximately as barren as the moon's surface. I get buffs when I use spears, katanas, or dual wielding, but I have no damn clue what any of it does outside of the katana buff making my combos longer. This also applies to items that are currently described as having descriptions too long to fully explain; scrolling tooltips for those would be nice. A lot of this second category is just building blocks, but there are some things that may actually have utility mixed in there too.
  3. Magic could use some touch-ups, particularly in the early game. I find that landing any tier 1 spells not named Wind Edge is near impossible, and that is no bueno for early-game if you wanna go pure mage and not melee mage like I personally prefer. Past that point, a lot of spells outside of the first tier have pretty lengthy cooldowns, which is fine for pure mage but makes melee mage heavily reliant on the ever-faithful Wind Edge in my experience.
  4. Bonus round: weather system. They're just nice to have in sandbox games.
Edited by yui

any steam games you'd reccommend? longer games are ok if they're not superhard (i purchased everhood and spiritfarer fairly recently) but i also like games i can pick up after a while w/o feeling lost or something (ala 'rift wizard' which  bought or 'rain on your parade' which i think i might get)

something like that

13 minutes ago, cr47t said:

any steam games you'd reccommend? longer games are ok if they're not superhard (i purchased everhood and spiritfarer fairly recently) but i also like games i can pick up after a while w/o feeling lost or something (ala 'rift wizard' which  bought or 'rain on your parade' which i think i might get)

something like that

Having finished it just last night, I cannot strongly enough recommend Celeste to anyone that hasn't played it. The artstyle is lovely, the cast is small but incredibly charming, the soundtrack is amazing, and it's the only game I've played where I got so invested in the story by the end that I began actively neglecting the collectibles (strawberries and b-sides) just to see the ending. Now, I've logged quite a bit of time in the critically-acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, so that last part is no small feat when I specify Celeste is the only game where I began to neglect side content out of sheer investment in the story. The game has a very feels-good ending and epilogue, and while finishing the game is still finishing the game, it's not 100%ing the thing by a long shot. If you try to pick up any strawberries you happen to pass by for the first five chapters and tend to do stupid things that make you die on the same screen a bunch of times, Celeste should still only clock in at about six hours (I'm not proud of how much of that time was spent getting lost in chapter five) to clear the story.

If you enjoy sandbox games and don't mind some jank in your early access games, Craftopia has also been a recent fixation of mine. The game is far from perfect in its current state and I wouldn't recommend buying it full price, but if you can find a good deal on it it's a nice hybrid of... all sorts of things. There's crafting, building, skill trees that offer plenty of ways to build your character, automation, the game basically has everything, up to and including some serious short-comings. Island terrain is the same for every island of the same type, not procedurally generated. The grass effects are hilariously unoptimized to the point where I have to disable grass entirely just to play the game. And your building options feel limited. However, the game is in early access, so I'm willing to pass these off as the pains of being so. Pick it up if you like sandboxes, but not at full price.

Also in the sandbox category, Starbound and Terraria stand out to me. The former is best played with the Frackin' Universe mod installed, but the latter doesn't need mods (don't let Calamity simps tell you otherwise). The former is more story-based yet also has more side content, but the latter just in general has a better vibe otherwise, especially if you play both games unmodded. Not much else to say here on these two, so I'd look into gameplay for them from here.

100% Orange Juice is my final suggestion. It's a quick, simple, and chaotic party game where you get to kill your friends to take their money. What more could you need? Be warned that this game in particular has a lot of DLC in the form of character packs, and while they aren't individually very expensive, the price tag will add up very quickly if you buy a bunch all at once.

19 hours ago, yui said:

Having finished it just last night, I cannot strongly enough recommend Celeste to anyone that hasn't played it. The artstyle is lovely, the cast is small but incredibly charming, the soundtrack is amazing, and it's the only game I've played where I got so invested in the story by the end that I began actively neglecting the collectibles (strawberries and b-sides) just to see the ending. Now, I've logged quite a bit of time in the critically-acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, so that last part is no small feat when I specify Celeste is the only game where I began to neglect side content out of sheer investment in the story. The game has a very feels-good ending and epilogue, and while finishing the game is still finishing the game, it's not 100%ing the thing by a long shot. If you try to pick up any strawberries you happen to pass by for the first five chapters and tend to do stupid things that make you die on the same screen a bunch of times, Celeste should still only clock in at about six hours (I'm not proud of how much of that time was spent getting lost in chapter five) to clear the story.

If you enjoy sandbox games and don't mind some jank in your early access games, Craftopia has also been a recent fixation of mine. The game is far from perfect in its current state and I wouldn't recommend buying it full price, but if you can find a good deal on it it's a nice hybrid of... all sorts of things. There's crafting, building, skill trees that offer plenty of ways to build your character, automation, the game basically has everything, up to and including some serious short-comings. Island terrain is the same for every island of the same type, not procedurally generated. The grass effects are hilariously unoptimized to the point where I have to disable grass entirely just to play the game. And your building options feel limited. However, the game is in early access, so I'm willing to pass these off as the pains of being so. Pick it up if you like sandboxes, but not at full price.

Also in the sandbox category, Starbound and Terraria stand out to me. The former is best played with the Frackin' Universe mod installed, but the latter doesn't need mods (don't let Calamity simps tell you otherwise). The former is more story-based yet also has more side content, but the latter just in general has a better vibe otherwise, especially if you play both games unmodded. Not much else to say here on these two, so I'd look into gameplay for them from here.

100% Orange Juice is my final suggestion. It's a quick, simple, and chaotic party game where you get to kill your friends to take their money. What more could you need? Be warned that this game in particular has a lot of DLC in the form of character packs, and while they aren't individually very expensive, the price tag will add up very quickly if you buy a bunch all at once.

its funny that i already have starbound, terraria, and celeste all in my collection with the latter 2 of the 3 in my to-do queue. i never found the time to get into them - they didn't hook me very quickly, but they do seem like the kind of game you warm up to over time. not that i don't like that kind of game, but between all my obligations and side projects (such as writing my story(s) or making ride proposals for the local amusement parks), those (as well as my NES/SNES Classics) get lost in the shuffle. i dont mean to offend you by saying all this about games you really like, but i hope it's ok that we have diff approaches. maybe one day i might know what the hype's about, but even with all my free time im superbusy, but im gonna make a note to myself to set some time aside someday for celeste and perhaps terraria (i got frustrated with starbound)

as for the other two, i cant afford orange juice even on the winter sale, and craftopia's at full price

in any case, thanks

If you had to give an evolution to Dunsparse, Delibird and Spinda which one would it be and why is it all of them?

10 hours ago, worK said:

If you had to give an evolution to Dunsparse, Delibird and Spinda which one would it be and why is it all of them?

all of them, of course. i for one welcome our eviolite dunsparce overlords.

18 minutes ago, worK said:

Top 3 favorite league champs

3: Pyke

2: Braum

1: Jhin

On 5/10/2022 at 6:09 PM, Thar said:

favorite music video

On 6/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, Thar said:

Favorite superhero movie?

Spider-Man 2

5 hours ago, (o ×) said:

What are you excited for?

Yesterday: Reached Level 80 on all three gathering jobs in FFXIV. I would start grinding up crafters but I am so not fucking with that yet.
    Also yesterday apparently: tmodloader - Terraria's official mod client - updated into 1.4.
    Today: Drew a mildly educational shitpost that has been on my mind for quite some time. It ain't perfect, but it gets the message and idea across.
    June 6th: New desk comes in the mail and I can get rid of this dinky lil' placeholder desk and also have a ton of surface space in this little room!
    June 28th: DNF Duel is released; I pre-ordered my copy at the start of the month.
    June 30th: Monster Hunter Rise's first expansion pack, Sunbreak, is released. I'm not buying this one for quite some time but I still think that's pretty neat.
    Indeterminate date in the near future: A friend's doing slightly discounted art commissions and I asked to get in on that once a slot opens up.
    Also indeterminate near future: I'm about to clear A Realm Reborn on an FFXIV alt I made as a measure to keep a presence in the OCE servers when I move my main back to NA (which I can't do yet).

Edited by yui