Sign in to follow this  
Faytl

[EDH] The Daily Double- Bruse Tarl/Thrasios

My favorite deck, bit of a personal project I've been fine-tuning for more than a year at this point (almost 2, actually). Never seen anything like it before, think I may have created something unique(ly awful).

Game plan is: Stick value creature, give it double strike with your Bruse Tarl and DECK them (no, not the no cards in library way; The good old-fashioned, as-Richard-Garfield-intended way). This deck aims to get around the problem combat-based decks have of gassing out by using creatures like Dragonlord Ojutai and Sphinx Ambassador to gain card and board advantage whenever they connect, since double strike will give you 2 such triggers in combat, all while having the added benefit of smacking your opponent for a million damage. 

Currently looking for feedback to help tighten up the deck a little bit, just make it slightly more resilient to disruption and maybe loosen up the tip end a bit (SEVEN 6-drops, yo). This deck plays WAY better than it has any right to and I'm often stunned it works as efficiently as it does, but it can always improve. Lemme know what you think, lads.

TappedOut link (with detailed breakdown)- https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-daily-double-mk-green/?cb=1548013635

Decklist-

Lands (37)
1x Adarkar Wastes
1x Battlefield Forge
1x Breeding Pool
1x Brushland
1x City of Brass
1x Command Tower
1x Exotic Orchard
4x Forest
1x Frontier Bivouac
1x Hallowed Fountain
4x Island
1x Jungle Shrine
1x Karplusan Forest
3x Mountain
1x Mystic Monastery
1x Path of Ancestry
3x Plains
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Rogue's Passage
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Seaside Citadel
1x Shivan Reef
1x Steam Vents
1x Stomping Ground
1x Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
1x Temple Garden
1x Yavimaya Coast

1 drop (4)
1x Reconnaissance
1x Sol Ring
1x Swan Song
1x Swords to Plowshares

2 drop (17)
1x Azorius Signet
1x Boros Charm
1x Boros Signet
1x Chart a Course
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Dolmen Gate
1x Fellwar Stone
1x Gruul Signet
1x Hidden Strings
1x Izzet Signet
1x Mark of Sakiko
1x Mask of Memory
1x Nahiri's Machinations
1x Selesnya Signet
1x Simic Signet
1x Strionic Resonator
1x Swiftfoot Boots

3 drop (13)
1x Chromatic Lantern
1x Coalition Relic
1x Crawlspace
1x Duelist's Heritage
1x Ghostly Prison
1x Goblin War Drums
1x Hunter's Insight
1x Krosan Grip
1x Sword of Feast and Famine
1x Teferi's Protection
1x Thada Adel, Acquisitor
1x Thassa, God of the Sea
1x Trygon Predator

4 drop (10)
1x Bident of Thassa
1x Coastal Piracy
1x Helm of the Host
1x Iroas, God of Victory
1x Nature's Will
1x Shalai, Voice of Plenty
1x Shaman of the Great Hunt
1x Skyshroud Claim
1x Solemn Simulacrum
1x Supreme Verdict

5 drop (5)
1x Asceticism
1x Dragonlord Ojutai
1x Hunter's Prowess
1x Samut, Voice of Dissent
1x Sylvan Reclamation

6 drop (7)
1x Archetype of Imagination
1x Aurelia, the Warleader
1x Austere Command
1x Hydra Omnivore
1x Medomai the Ageless
1x Stolen Identity
1x Sun Quan, Lord of Wu

7 drop (3)
1x Balefire Dragon
1x Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1x Sphinx Ambassador

8 drop (2)
1x Archetype of Endurance
1x Maelstrom Wanderer

Edited by Faytl

I think you want more haste, as well as more things that grant haste. You have some cards that give great value on hit, but the deck getting dicked this hard by sorcery speed removal holds it back a lot.

An undoubtedly good option for this is fires of yavimaya, as it can also server as a combat trick (synergizing with bruse's buff, for that matter).

Another really good option here is the new Rhythm of the Wild, I'd say it goes without saying exactly why.

My persinal favorite for cards of this variety is Mass Hysteria, as well as Concordant Crossroads. Yes, it benefits the opponent as well, but as a 1 drop it is easy to sandbag until you plan to drop some guys for a big swing, and even if it is being used completely fairly it is likely that you gain well more from it than the opponent.

Edit: additionally, your top end feels pretty bloated, without much to get you there. Consider farseek, cultivate, kodama's reach, explore, growth spiral, harrow, green sun's zenith (with dryad arbor), and the assortment of other ramp spells that are not coming to mind at this moment.

Edited by (youknowwhoiam)
added bit suggesting ramp

Rhythm of the Wild is a card I've been eyeing since it was previewed. It looks STELLAR in here. You are right that I need more haste, you can get hardcore screwed if a wipe hits and you don't have Teferi's Protection.

What are your thoughts on maybe having more effects that grant double strike? I feel I have a low number but I've found it's pretty easy to keep Bruse alive most of the time, I've won games with him being my only piece. Still, only being able to hit twice with one dude (assuming no Helm of the Host) is a bit of a holdback. Problem is there aren't a TON of good double strike enablers; Blood Mist and Fireshrieker are a touch mediocre, but are they good enough here?

As for ramp, I feel I'm pretty inflated in 2 and 3-drops already, and Thrasios is also a ramp piece as well, but you may be right about swapping in a Farseek in place of something like Solemn that doesn't provide a really at all effective body for double the mana.

Even here, I don't believe double strike to be a terribly relevant keyword. There is a reason etb effects are more prevalent than creatures with a hefty board presence.

For granting double strike, I'd keep it pretty limited. True Conviction could be funny if your table is slow enough for it.

Another haste granter I forgot that I believe is an absolute must-have is Slayer's Stronghold. Can you imagine just how swingy it could be with bruse? Drop Hydra Omnivore, use the stronghold and bruse on him, knock everyone down by 20 and gain an obscene amount of life, while keeping it up as a blocker for the inevitable retaliation.