Saikazo

advanced rp Yugioh: Project Crimson

YxoyLXy.png

Raijin simply shook his head as Zirco had another outburst; still about that girl. He didn't understand why the boy cared so damn much about her. Who gave a rats ass if the girl wanted to leave them or not. Leiko was being stupid as well, as she probably could have just stuck with the group, do nothing notable, and cash in the money for as little effort as possible. That's what Raijin was planning on doing. However, he didn't say anything as the others joined in on the fiasco. He didn't really care what the others did, so long as they were able to carry his weight.

Kiyoko had decided to fill in for the missing girl, simply shrugging as he made his way towards Damien and Kiyoko. "so how does this work?"

"What, ya don't know how drawing straws work?" Raijin said, shaking his head. "Well, we all get a bunch of straws of different sizes..." He looked around, trying to see if he could find any straws. When that was unsuccessful, he emulated the straws with his fingers, holding his right hand over his left. "Ya try to make 'em look like they're the same size, and then when we each pick one..." He let go of his hand, wiggling his right hand fingers in the air. As he did, he seemed to be distracted by something, still looking for anywhere there could be straws lying about. "The one with the shortest stick bunks with Mr. E." He turned to Damien, tilting his head slightly. "Hey, ya got any straws we can pull? I'm runnin' short here."

Damien nodded, reaching into his pocket. The boy turned around for a second, pulling out whatever he had in his pocket, before shortly turning back towards the three. Outstretched in his fist were four straws that, as Raijin had explained, seemed to be the same size. The boy shuffled the straws in his fist a bit before grabbing one of them, holding it out in front of him.

Without hesitation or even looking at the straws, Raijin picked another at random, holding it by his head. He turned to Kiyoko and Jet. "Alright, now choose." He commanded, waiting for the two knuckleheads to draw the two remaining straws.

Edited by rep

2784Rx2.png?1

Zirco seemed focused on the girl he was talking to. Apparently he didn't want to duel her right then but would later. That seemed ridiculous to Hotaru. Was he planning on starting fights with everyone?

Actually that would mean people would want to stay away from him right? So perhaps she wouldn't stand out much if she kept near him. This might actually work...

"Yo. Somethin' I can help ya with, or you just admiring the Sun Blazer Mark II?"

She jumped a bit as he finally noticed her and spoke. Her eyes glanced over to the thing that he was referring to. "Wonder if it's named that because of his shining personality." Hotaru muttered, trying to keep from being overheard.

Dragonecro chuckled next to her but his focus was on Shannon. One of the girls who had also had a spirit with her. An annoying one at that.

Hotaru didn't answer right away. It would be problematic if she made him think anything wrong. Dealing with people was such a hassle. "No...yes." The girl started, unsure which to go with. She didn't speak louder than a mumble and didn't look directly at the man. "I think we should be roommates." She managed at last. Now that she said it she realized how dumb it sounded. What reason do either of them have to share a room, realistically? It wasn't as though she could explain what caused her to ask. "You don't need to answer if you don't want to." She finished.

Leiko watched Zirco storm down the hallway, at a loss for words. She dimly heard Morodate walking away, his measured footsteps echoing down the hall. He had spoken and she had been powerless to stop him from stoking Zirco's anger. How could he think she thought she was superior? To him, to anyone?

She started to turn, to speak to Tora, but then thought better of it. Why should she care? She's been here longer too.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, and she flinched away from Shannon's hand, looking wide-eyed at her. Was she going to be mad at her as well?

"It'll be alright. Just follow me down there. I'll take care of it."

Leiko was a bit surprised by her willingness to help. The simple side-hug felt positively strange, it being the most affection Leiko had received in months. She went to say thank you, but she held back, seeing something in Shannon's face. Still a little of that proud quality in her that made Leiko unsure of why she was really doing this.

"Is this really ok?"

Leiko could only give Kiyoko a lost, uncertain gaze as she meekly trailed behind Shannon towards the garage.
- - - -
Leiko lingered at the door of the garage, leaning out of sight against a the wall near the doorframe as Shannon walked in. As she spoke, Leiko massaged the stinging skin of her forearm, where her mark was located. Mr. E had said she had the wings but she felt thoroughly grounded and unable to escape. Her suspicions proved themself as correct when Shannon turned the situation into one that allowed her to challenge Zirco. She didn't care about Leiko. She cared about being in charge.

She felt a touch of relief nonetheless. If Shannon dueled him instead, maybe he would forget her.Turn his attention to somebody who was fully invested in the Project.

That hope was dashed rather quickly. Leiko felt herself swallow as Zirco started complaining about her, how she wanted to leave. She couldn't help striking the wall with frustration when he talked about her ego and convenenience, those ideas Morodate had put into his head. That wasn't it. That wasn't why she couldn't be here. If only she could put it across... But talking about her sister wasn't something Leiko could bring herself to do. She felt her heart rise into her throat just contemplating it. She knew she could never speak about it to him. She couldn't do it. Just like she couldn't be a Signer.

"Shannon, it... It's okay." She stepped out from the doorframe, her hands in fists at her sides, shaking, her eyes to the floor and unable to meet Zirco's. "Zirco, I... I'm sorry. I don't think I'm better than you. Why would I? I can't... I can't even do anything with the six months I lost to these experiments, can't even make myself stay... You SHOULD be mad at me. But..." She took a deep breath. "But that's how YOU'RE better. Than me. You're strong enough to fight, still, after all of this... I'm not. And if you have to beat me in a duel to know that, you have to beat me in a duel."

She walked into the garage, walking to a long, purple-colored D-Wheel with a large back wheel and two huge exhaust ports at the back. It looked very out of place next to the small girl. She raised up an armrest to place herself inside it, switching on the display with some fumbling, clearly unfamiliar with the exact workings of the machine. 

the_artemis_d_wheel_by_mistress_darkloki

Gil, seeing this, walked to the wall to strike a button next to a large metal gateway. The door slowly pulled open, revealing a runway to the track outside. Leiko raised the slim, black-and-purple helmet, one-handedly tying her hair into a low ponytail before slipping it on, turning her head towards him, free to avoid meeting his gaze behind the dark visor.

"I... I'm ready when you are," she said trepidatiously.

- - - -

Morodate switched off the tablet, Leiko on her D-Wheel disappearing from his screen. He turned in his seat to glance out the large window in the observatory he sat in. The track lay below him, and he could see even from here the door to the garage being opened.

"You move fast, Morodate." Amata entered the room, looking out to the track. "Engineered a duel between two of them already?"

"It's the only way," he said solemnly, steepling his fingers together as he awaited the beginning of the duel. "I would have preferred she duel Shannon... That girl is an example of work ethic to the Project. But your subject provided a clear opportunity. I took it... Hopefully it provides results from Leiko."

Edited by Faytl

Hypatia

Her pool trip was proving to be far less relaxing than she had hoped. As much as she wanted to ignore her problems, they didn't seem to have the same idea. She managed to spend somewhere around 20-odd minutes floating in the pool trying to push the various questions she had out of her mind until she bumped into Mr. E's pool float. She decided it was a futile effort at that point, righting herself in the water and trying to find a conversation starter in the book he was reading. 'Magecraft, Summonings, and other Magics' was what was written on the cover. Hypatia couldn't remember enough about the world to be sure, but a distinct feeling in her stomach told her that she probably wasn't inclined to believe that magic was a real thing that actually exists. But then, given all that had happened in the short span that she could remember...

"What's it about?"

"Well, it's a book of magic theory. As the Magus of Knowledge, it's my duty to keep up on what others think of magic. Besides, it may shed a bit of light on the problem ahead of us, no?"

He definitely seemed to believe in magic. That didn't inspire as much confidence in Hypatia as she might have wanted, but on the bright side, he didn't seem to want to beat around the bush in regards to her memory... problem.

"Will it really help get my memories back?"

"Well, in theory, I could just swing my wand around, go 'bibbity, bobbity, boo,' and your memories would be restored. In practice though, using such magic on something on something as powerful yet fragile as the human mind could have many unforeseen side effects. So instead, I'll be doing 'therapy sessions,' where we'll use magic to stimulate the mind and hope they come back a little more... naturally."

Hypatia wasn't sure that she had ever been in therapy before, but if it would help get her memories back it was worth a shot.

"Alright, when do we start?"

"Well, not until after breakfast for sure. I don't want to do magic on an empty stomach you know?"

"Makes sense." Well, it made as much sense as magic should. She felt hopeful for the first time today as she climbed out of the pool. Mr. E was... eccentric... to say the least, but he certainly seemed to be knowledgeable about his craft. As she stepped to make her exit, Hypatia realized that she had been pretty rude to him earlier, and leaving without so much as a word was probably also not the kindest way to repay his help. She wasn't really good at these types of things, but she supposed she at least had to make an effort.

"Oh and um, thanks I guess." He just gave her a thumbs up, not looking up from his book as she left the room.

---

Hypatia made her way back to the rooms, hoping that that situation had resolved itself so that she could get herself acquainted with her new living space. Those hopes were quickly dashed when she came across Raijin, Kiyoko, and Damian drawing straws.

"Wait, why is Damian drawing? Isn't he a researcher or something?" Hypatia shook her head. "You know what, it doesn't matter. I'll do you guys a favor and narrow things down a bit." She put her hand on Raijin's shoulder unceremoniously, for no other reason than that he was the closest. "I'll room with Raijin and we'll take... this room." Pointing to a door that she had once again chosen solely based on proximity.

Edited by Fearen

"You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about my anger. While her being in the program for less than a year annoys the ever loving shit out of me, that's not something in her control. You know what is though? The decision to leave. Shockingly, the fact that despite being in the program for less than a year, she's just going to abandon the rest of us for her own convenience and ego pisses me off. Hell, you, for all your damn annoying squawking about being the leader are at least staying to fight with the rest of us. But hey, after I beat her, I'll be happy to duel you. I got a whole other set of issues with you."

"Oooh~?" Shannon raised a brow, the edges of her mouth growing into a bigger smile, "It seems I underestimated your self control. For that, I apologize. However... I still cannot allow you to bully a companion. On the first day. When she's scared witless, no less. So, I must insist that you duel me inst-"

"Shannon, it... It's okay."

The leader girl turned around, a bit surprised that Leiko spoke up. 

"Zirco, I... I'm sorry. I don't think I'm better than you. Why would I? I can't... I can't even do anything with the six months I lost to these experiments, can't even make myself stay... You SHOULD be mad at me. But... But that's how YOU'RE better. Than me. You're strong enough to fight, still, after all of this... I'm not. And if you have to beat me in a duel to know that, you have to beat me in a duel."

After listening to Leiko's small speech, Shannon sighed and gave a small shrug. She walked away from Zirco to approach Leiko, eye-to-eye with the girl who shared her height. She placed her hands on the girl's shoulders, making eye contact.

"... If that's your decision, I respect it. Standing up for yourself is a good thing, if you have the strength for it... but don't write yourself off so quickly. You shouldn't cave just because someone else has a problem with you. You're special. I'll be watching and cheering you on."

Shannon's voice seemed to waver a bit as she spoke, concern shining in her eyes, before she let Leiko go. She took a seat, looking up at the screen with her legs crossed properly, hands knitted in her lap.

"... Do you really think she can do it?"

Ignoring the other spirit in the room, Luster Pendulum appeared behind her once more. Glancing over her shoulder, Shannon shrugged, speaking quietly.

"I don't know. But she needs all the confidence she can get. It's hard standing up to someone like that... You should know."

4ys06lN.png

"Alright then. That is fine."

Natsumi gave the girl a contended nod, as Zirco went off on his tirade about wanting to duel Leiko. And honestly, while Natsumi would understand if others were frustrated about her being in the project for less than a year, Natsumi didn't feel that same frustration. If anything, she felt concern that Leiko could be inexperienced, the weakest link, a burden to the others. Natsumi wanted to watch this duel, if only to confirm that her suspicions were simply a bad feeling with no truth behind them. And so, Natsumi followed Zirco and Shannon to the garage.

Shannon's grandstanding gave Natsumi some doubts about her position as the leader, she had to admit. Having the best interests of the group was good and all, but this was a duel meant to be between Zirco and Leiko. However, both parties seemed adamant about precisely that. This was good. She'd be able to see just what Leiko was capable of as a duelist.

She had a bit of a crowd too, including Hotaru, Shannon, the respective duel spirits she could see lurking around the two, and of course, Natsumi herself. Still no sign of Scrap Worm though. Just what was that cretin up to? Whatever it was, it couldn't be that important. Shannon's duel spirit, meanwhile, had a question more relevant to the current happenings.

"... Do you really think she can do it?"

Shannon didn't seem sure about it. Natsumi was doing her best to not answer the question, to not interact with duel spirits. Shannon answering didn't make working out a way to word her thoughts without acknowledging the spirits any easier.

"Confidence is a start. I get being mad since she's been in the project for such a short time, but the bigger concern should be if she can pull her weight."

JEXtWIL.png

"HAHAAA! Jackpot!" A dumpster! Or rather, a whole bunch of really large dumpsters! They were all lined up behind the building in a neat little line, containing all matter of junk from the repurposing of this place. Here, he could feast to his heart's content! For now anyway. That discarded concrete sure did look appetizing.

Edited by Yui

Tora Mori

Right after Tora had agreed to rooming with Leiko for the night, Zirco approached and confronted her about wanting to quit the program. With each passing second the scene became more and more heated, and Tora found herself shrinking away from the crowd little by little. Shannon had done her best to calm the situation and come to Leiko's help, but her efforts were in vain as a duel was agreed to. Soon enough, a few of them were making their way to the garage. Tora felt a sinking feeling in her stomach, having hoped to spend a more calm time in the garage and not having to deal with such drama around what would soon be her work space.

As their D-Wheels were pulled out, Tora had taken a moment to circle around each quietly, examining them closely and even going as far as popping the hood briefly on one of them. They were both much larger models than her own with bigger engines. While they could both reach faster maximum speeds, they sacrificed both their handling and their acceleration to achieve this. The D-Wheels might be appropriate for the oval-track, and do exceptionally well there; but for the varied track, they would find themselves slowly to a crawl with each hairpin. Tora made a mental note to remind herself of this if ever the situation arose.

The work done on them was good, though. Both vehicles were clean inside and out with shining, new parts, and this worried Tora greatly as she stomped over to her Crosswhip and started examining each part. She popped the side open and looked closely, rummaging through the shining, new parts, and her growling frustration could be heard growing louder and louder.

"Gil!" She shouted. "What the hell did you think replacing the model 5 booster with a model 7?! You better have not thrown out the model 5!"

"Hey hey hey! Don't be so quick to judge!" Gil said, rushing over. "That model 5 was at the end of its days, I had to replace it before it blew out your whole engine mid-ride!"

"The model 7's a piece of crap and you know it! Besides, all that rust was nothing but aesthetic damage! I'll have you know I kept that piece in mint condition! Besides, that model 7 puts out way too much power! You'd have to reinforce the wheels and frames to keep them from shattering, and if you did THAT then all you're doing is adding more weight! This isn't a drag racer, GIL. If I can't make a turn because the momentum carried me into the wall then it's on you!"

"Hold on a second there! That might be true for a run-of-the-mill garage, but this is Kaiba Corp! We used woven carbon nanotubes to reinforce the wheels and frames! The bike's much lighter than it was before and are more than ready to handle the extra beef this engine has to offer!"

Tora growled even louder than before. "When that duel's over, I'm going for a test drive. I swear to god, Gil, if I have to relearn how to ride all over again because you specc'd the Crosswhip to be an oval racer WHEN IT CLEARLY ISN'T I'm gonna be so pissed!"

"How much you wanna bet you'll love it more than ever? I breathed some new life into that old budget piece, and I think you'll be surprised at how many new tricks it has up its sleeves!"

Tora stared daggers at Gil before crossing her arms with a loud "Hmph!" as she returned to the bike and continued to rummage around its insides.

Octavia
»»————- ♡ ————-««

"This is all getting a bit... Much."

Octavia could only sigh as she rubbed at her neck, a small mumble escaping her as she began to inch her way away from the conflict of the group. With Zirco and Leiko about to have a spat... And her roommate deciding that the best course of action was to interfere, Octavia just wanted to do the exact opposite and go to some place where the conflict wouldn't be relevant. To her... The best place for freedom from the conflict was to find her way back towards the kitchen. Leaving the lab this morning had been such a fast paced trip that she didn't even register that she hadn't been able to eat breakfast, and after that chaos of a meeting with Kaiba and the whirlwind tour that followed, she was definitely a bit on the hungry side. She slowly made her way down the stairs and tried to figure out where exactly the kitchen had been... The complex definitely wasn't tiny.

As she stumbled her way through the hall connected to the kitchen, her stomach rumbled and a little groan escaped her. It really felt like she hadn't eaten in forever after everything that happened, so the best course of action was to go and pester the sword man for something to snack on. Whether it was something small or something actually more like a meal…

"Ay! Barbatos! Can I get a snack before meal time? I didn't have any breakfast!" Octavia tossed the doors to the cafeteria as she marched into the room, her arms risen into the air after she did. She marched towards the back of the cafeteria, a wide grin on her face as she took some quick steps over to the counter, planting her hands on it to heft herself up to get a better look at the man across the counter. She didn't even wait as she beamed up at him, her mind focused on one simple fact.

She needed food.

Barbatos looked over his shoulder to see the tiny (to him, anyways) girl asking about a snack before breakfast. He took the sword he was currently peeling apples with and spun it, inserting it into a sheath by the sink before he walked over to the counter.

“I can get you something, I'll just need to ask you two questions,” he replied. “You want something light or heavy, and what's your name?” 

She closed her eyes for a moment as she considered the first question, “Probably something light, I don’t want to fill up before the meal… And it’s Octavia. I was going to introduce myself during the tour, but before I got to do it, Mr. E had already started dancing out the door.”

“Octavia, huh? Well, nice to meet you,” he paused to think. “Yeah, I can imagine Mr. E didn't leave much room to talk to any of us,” he sighed. “I think he's enjoying this too much. He's usually such a stoic man,” he turned around, looking at the food he had. “I think the only thing I can really consider light is…,” he handed her a plate of apples cut in the shape of rabbits. “Is this good?”

Octavia let out a small snicker as she nodded her head, “He was definitely enjoying it or at least… He was really good at pretending to enjoy the whirlwind tour he was running.” She beamed as she grabbed the plate from Barbados and began to nibble on the apples, a small sigh escaping her, “This definitely helps, I just need to tide myself over for a little…” 

She spent a little bit of time lazily chatting with Barbatos as she sat down at the counter, humming to herself before finally standing up once she finished off the light snack. With the energy from the snack settling in, she waved a hand behind her as she stepped out of the cafeteria, “I’ll see you later, Barbatos! Thanks for the snack.” 

She whistled as she exited the room, making her way back up to the floor where their rooms were located... She moved towards one of the unclaimed rooms to push the door open, moving into it to plop down onto a bed and kick back, pulling her deck box out of her jacket to start flipping through the cards lazily, examining the deck as she let out a little sigh. 

msc0pXW.jpg

iU8EggM.png

"So... um... if you all wanna draw straws, well, I can stand in for Zirco...,"

"Alright, now choose."

Right, drawing straws to see how things would go for the room situations. Jet hesitantly looked at the straws, watching Raijin already draw his. The shortest one got stuck with Mr. E...and at first, Jet wasn't thinking much of it, the more he thought about the possibility of bunking with Mr. E...

"This here is Jet, the one with the Mark of Heart, which he wears on his sleeve, if you know what I mean..."

"You're all smart, you know that with the eleven of you, there will be an odd person out. Don't worry about it. I will sleep with that person! So don't worry about feeling lonely!"

...yeah that guy...s-s-seems like a D-Wheel w-with a few screws loose... Jet thought, looking at the floor for a moment, before sighing and then looking back at the straws. He'd ask help from god or whatever deity was present, but he stopped doing that ever since he was sentenced to live in that hellhole of a facility in Turbo City. He rubbed his arm and his hand softly grazed along his mark.

Jet finally moved and slowly pulled out a straw, his eyes closed tightly to make sure he didn't see. Right now, he was hoping for anyone but Mr. E. I-I'd take any of the others...j-just not E...

As Jet pulled out a straw, Damien let out a sigh. "I'm sorry Jet, but... that's the short straw," he patted the boy on the shoulder. "Don't worry too much about it though... Mr. E might be odd, but he's a nice guy,"

"No...yes." The girl seemed confused. Not only that, but she was mumbling to herself again. Zirco just waited until she decided to spit out her business. "I think we should be roommates." She managed after some time. Zirco raised an eyebrow. That was odd... but he supposed it was better than getting stuck with Mr. E "You don't need to answer if you don't want to." She finished.

"I'm fine with that," Zirco said. "Dunno why ya picked me, but hey, that's also none of my business,"

"Shannon, it... It's okay." Zirco looked up to see Leiko walking over. "Zirco, I... I'm sorry. I don't think I'm better than you. Why would I? I can't... I can't even do anything with the six months I lost to these experiments, can't even make myself stay... You SHOULD be mad at me. But..." She took a deep breath. "But that's how YOU'RE better. Than me. You're strong enough to fight, still, after all of this... I'm not. And if you have to beat me in a duel to know that, you have to beat me in a duel." She strapped on her helmet, getting on the D-Wheel she didn't seem used to. "I... I'm ready when you are,"

"You better not throw the duel," Zirco stated before he started his D-Wheel, the engine roaring to life. The two pulled up next to each other, their engines rumbling as they waited for a signal.

"Ready? Set? Duel!" Gil shouted out as the two took off. The mechanic then ran over to a couch in the corner, leaping over the back of it and landed on the couch, turning on a large TV that showed the track, and the two duelists. "Hey, y'all wanna watch? Got popcorn to! It's nice and buttery,"

On the Racetracks of Signer Haven

Zirco vs Leiko

Turn 1

The two drove side by side at first, but it was obvious that Zirco was much more comfortable behind his D-Wheel, easily pulling ahead and going around the first turn of the oval track. "Alright, my turn!" Zirco stated before looking at his hand. "I Normal Summon X-Saber Boggart Knight!" In front of Zirco's D-Wheel appeared what looked like a goblin in armor, spinning its sword. (ATK:1900) "When he's Normal Summoned, I can Special Summon a level 4 or lower X-Saber monster! I'll summon the tuner monster X-Saber Airbellum!" A short hairy man with claws appeared on the field, roaring and flying next to Boggart Knight. (ATK:1600) He looked down at his hand. "Now, I set two cards and end my turn!"

He paused to focus on the turn they were coming up to, leaning down close to the ground as he zipped around the corner. "Alright, show me what you got!"

Edited by Saiku

2784Rx2.png?1

That went better than expected. She supposed she should celebrate or something. Yet she couldn't find herself able to work up enough emotion. Even when Dragonecro congratulated her on a job well done she simply shrugged. "I don't think he cared either way." She muttered.

The duel was going to start soon. She didn't have any real reason to watch it. But then again she didn't have anywhere else to go either. So when the man, what was his name, the garage man, man in the garage....Ted?

When the guy said "Hey, y'all wanna watch? Got popcorn to! It's nice and buttery," 
Hotaru didn't see any reason to not. And she certainly tried thinking of one.

She wasn't comfortable with the idea of getting closer but since she was already here and the screen was over there she might as well. So she shuffled, practically floating across the floor, over behind the couch and stood there. Hovering over the couch. Staring pointedly at the screen. She could smell the popcorn and knew she hadn't eaten in a while. She couldn't really remember when she last ate. She didn't eat often and it wasn't at any specific time, though they had tried to keep it regular to no avail, so she couldn't be sure.

But her stomach seemed to think she needed food now. Her mouth didn't admit it even as the rumblings happened. This was fine. She was fine. She didn't want to take the food. She was just here to watch the duel.

More rumbles.

She was fine.

Shannon was surprised when she saw Zirco's monsters, as she had expected something a bit more... fiery or dark, given his personality. The noble order of knights was hardly fitting for what the boy had acted like so far, so...

"I wonder what his Duel Dragon is, with a deck like that..."

Shannon muttered to no one in particular as she watched, waiting for Leiko to make a move. However, her concentration was broken by Hotaru lurking behind her, with a growling stomach no less. Gil had just mentioned popcorn, and it did smell good... So maybe that's what she was after. But she was so awkward about it, as she had been about everything since Shannon met her earlier that morning. With a nod, Shannon stood and headed over to Gil, smiling.

"Mind giving me a couple bags? I want one, and I think Hotaru does, too."

Grabbing the bags, Shannon headed back to the couch and sat down, taking a bite of her own as she offered a bag to Hotaru over the back.

"You're hungry, right? Eat up!" She grinned a bit as she looked over her shoulder at the girl, before lowering her voice to a whisper. "And don't worry, Mr. Dragon, I'll take a bite first if you want to be sure it's safe."

Leiko was nervous on the D-Wheel. She had only ever practiced with it by herself, not during a duel. Her hands were shaking as she coaxed the bike hesitantly out onto the track, allowing Zirco to take the lead with ease, the girl barely even noticing. His words were echoing in her head. "You better not throw the duel."

If Zirco was at all like Houki, if he had been brought here for at all comparable skill, she wouldn't have to.

She was taken aback yet again by Zirco's ferocity. While Shannon, back in the pit, may have seen his monsters as a noble order, they looked a lot more scary up close, at such high speeds. THe lion-maned Airbellum roared at her, its bladed claws gleaming as Boggart Knight stared her down. Leiko felt penned in by the two monsters even as she accelerated nervously, the D-Wheel jerkily accelerating and decellerating in a way that would have made any mechanic cringe. 

"I... draw!" Leiko drew as jerkily as her speed, the D-Wheel momentarily taken off-balance before she hastily corrected, breathing hard. She kept reaching to her hand to pick a card, then darting back to the handles of the D-Wheel to steady it the second she drifted off-course at all. The girl was breathing hard still, panicking now. The Turbo Duel was too much to process. She couldn't even think straight.

Just get it... over with! "I summon Tech Genus Rush Rhino!" She hurriedly grabbed a card, sliding it onto the duel disk at the nearest point possible to her wrist dealer. A great green beast appeared, bipedal, letting out a bellow as it flew by Leiko on large rocket engines attached to its body.

T.G. Rush Rhino

Level 4, 1600 ATK

"Battle! Attack Boggart Knight!" The engines roared to life as the Rhino blasted past, towards the Boggart Knight.

"Isn't Rush Rhino weaker than Boggart Knight?" Amata asked Morodate pointedly, who merely raised a hand, waving the question away.

"Rush Rhino has an ability that will supercede that," he assured the fellow handler. 

Rush Rhono barreled through Boggart Knight, the monster letting out a cry as it exploded into shards of bright light that showered across Zirco's D-Wheel.

Zirco: 8000 > 7900

"Rush Rhino can boost it's attack power by 400 when it attacks," Leiko explained, breathing a little easier now that two monsters weren't staring her down. "The boost only lasts for this turn." She slowly raised her hand to her cards, then quickly seized two of them and placing them in the Duel Disk portion of her bike, eyes closed shut as she grabbed back onto the handlebars. "I set 2 cards and end my turn!" She barely got the words out with the lack of breath she had.

YxoyLXy.png

As the others started pulling their straws, Raijin took a glance at the other straws. He turned to Jet, shrugging his shoulders. "Bad luck, my friend." He simply said, turning back to Damien. "Thanks." He simply said, turning to look around. Now all he had to do was inform Hypatia that they were bunking together.

As he was turning around, she appeared. She seemed unaware that they had just finished up pulling straws, but what she said amused him.  "You know what, it doesn't matter. I'll do you guys a favor and narrow things down a bit." She put her hand on Raijin's shoulder. "I'll room with Raijin and we'll take... this room." She pointed to the room that was closest to them. He found it amusing, seeing as this was what was going to happen either way. 

"Sounds good to me." He said, tossing his arms on the back of his head. This was good, now he didn't need to tell her the results of the straws. Not only that, but they had already called a room, much in the same way Raijin was going to call it as well. "Well, you guys do whatever it is that y'all are gonna do. I'm gonna go hit up my new room." He said, chuckling to himself as he started walking towards the room Hypatia chose.

"Mind giving me a couple bags? I want one, and I think Hotaru does, too."

What? No? What? Hotaru gave a bit of a start, more of an awkward jerk, as she tilted her head down towards Shannon.

"You're hungry, right? Eat up!"

"I didn't ask for anything." Hotaru muttered, shuffling in place, hands moving from the couch to her arms to her sides again. What was she supposed to do? She had to have food at some point. And this was food. Dragonecro took a whiff of the food, winced, and glanced over at her.

"It's not poison. But there's no meat. What's the point? Why do you people eat like rodents?" He smirked menacingly at Shannon. "I bet you'd be tastier."

"Enough of that." Hotaru muttered before hastily reaching forward and grasping the bag. She drew it back just as hastily, spilling a bit in the process. Glancing away and muttering an apology she took a few pieces and put it in her mouth. It was pretty good. She supposed. It was hard to tell. She was used to bland. But she kept eating.

Her eyes drifted to the duel. It wasn't anything too exciting really. "Who do you think is going to win?" She muttered again. More to herself out of habit than anyone else.

Dragonecro answered anyway. "It'll be the big guy. That little rabbit isn't fit for this at all."

msc0pXW.jpg

iU8EggM.png

The start of his new life...in an old prison...stuck with bunking with some weird guy that wants to be called Mr. E. Fantastic... No this was definitely everything he wanted in a new life away from Dr. Akihiro and the rest of the Turbo City branch of Kaibacorp...

"Bad luck, my friend."

"N-No...more like my everyday luck..." Jet muttered under his breath, sighing as he took his bags and put them in the room. This day couldn't get any worse...that's what he wanted to say, but decided against it. After all, there were PLENTY of things that could go wrong.

After putting his stuff away, he headed back towards the garage. From what Gil said, he could definitely go for a ride on his D-Wheel when he could, since they didn't mind. However, he wasn't expecting as many people in there, though they were all having their eyes glued to a TV screen and from what he saw...it was Zirco and Leiko Dueling.

A-Already...? he thought, moving towards the group but remained in the back. ...people are already...D-Dueling around here...? J-Jeez, I would've at least expected them to w-wait a bit more...

"Rush Rhino can boost it's attack power by 400 when it attacks. The boost only lasts for this turn. I set 2 cards and end my turn!"

From the looks of it, it was X-Sabers and T.G. clashing against each other. Jet had heard about how each archetype played, but never saw them out in the open like this. In moment like this, words from Akihiro would only come to his remembrance: Keep a steady eye on your surroundings, but especially on a Duel. After all, you may need to formulate a strategy against one or both combatants.

L-Let's hope that's not the case...

Jb1k7yv.png?1

As Raijin started the process of drawing straws, she watched as both he and Jet moved to get their straws. Going last, the girl drew the last one, and presented it to the others as she done so. With each person now having a straw, and showing it to one another, it was evident that of the four Jet was the one with the shortest straw. "I suppose that settles that." With Jet now being saddled with Mr. E, that just left the three of them now needing another room. As they were looking at the straws, Kiyoko was attempting to think of how else to now split the rest of them up as Hypatia had come back from her swim. With Raijin being claimed for a room as well, it had seemed that all was solved. Quite like most of the others, however, both Jet and Raijin saw it fit to leave the room, only Kiyoko and Hypatia were left. The girl looked towards her, saying, "well...should we get something to eat?" Without really waiting for an answer, Kiyoko decided to make her way to the kitchen downstairs. 

Hypatia

Hypatia watched as her roommate made his way into their room. She was about to follow suit when Kiyoko turned to her. "Well...should we get something to eat?" It was polite of her to offer, but Hypatia had wanted to look around her room more than anything. "Sorry, I'm not really hungry but..." But by the time she looked back at Kiyoko she was already walking away. "Huh." Hypatia was a little dumbfounded. So that's what it feels like to have someone make a dramatic exit on you. She couldn't really be mad considering she had done the same thing today, but she didn't have much time to think about that until her stomach growled loudly. "Oh, so I am hungry..." She quickly opened the door to her new room and chucked her still damp dress shirt inside, her words grouping together as she almost shouted at Raijin. "Heycouldyouhangthatupforme? Thanksyou'rethebest!" She turned back to Kiyoko who was already making her way down the stairs, tossing the door shut and running after her. "Wait up!"

She caught up to Kiyoko in the stairwell, stumbling a bit before catching herself and getting into a somewhat casual pace next to her. "So uh... how's the weather?" Hypatia sighed. "You know what? I'm not doing small talk. I have like a billion questions, and I didn't want to ask Mr. E, but it's driving me crazy. Why are we in a prison? What the hell is Project Crimson? Who the hell is that Kaiba guy? We're just going to be his child soldiers or something? Why is Mr. E like that? There were tests apparently? What does that mean?" She counted her questions on her fingers as she listed them off before holding up the back of her hand and adding another. "Oh and I like the tattoo. It's super cool, but why did he call it the eye mark?" She looked at Kiyoko for a second. Blinking a few times and realizing that she had kind of just rapid fired way too many questions at her. That probably wasn't the best way to make friends here, and Hypatia desperately wanted a friend at this point. She cleared her throat, smiled awkwardly at Kiyoko and added. "And um, what's up with you?"

Jb1k7yv.png?1

Kiyoko wasn't bothered by the girl's invitation refusal and thus didn't really say anything as she kept walking. She then stopped briefly and looked back as the woman told her to wait, and then resumed walking as they caught up. The girl was a bit confused for a moment by her first question, but then seemed to be both confused and overwhelmed as Hypatia began to rapid fire questions at her. She had never experienced quite this volume of questioning before and thus she tried to sort through them one at a time, but had trouble remembering all of them exactly and thus could only really respond to the last one. That being said, of the questions she was asked Kiyoko was just as unsure how to answer that saying, "nothing?" Thinking on it she said,"I don't think I've experienced anything quite differently from you today, and though the people in question were strange, I don't think the goal itself is. After all, this is what we've been chosen for and working towards this whole time." Kiyoko wasn't very sure of the other's circumstances, Hypatia's even less so. But she was under the impression that they were all here for the same reason, and all were made signers with the same goal in mind. Of course, as social convention would have it, Kiyoko realized that she was now obligated to respond, "so. What is, um, up with you?" 

Octavia
»»————- ♡ ————-««

It was quiet. Shockingly quiet, considering she had expected Shannon to pop in at any time and start her... Unique method of talking. And viewing their situation. Everything about her new roommate was definitely unique. At least she had the time to just go through her cards, examine her deck as she tried to relax. The little snack she had was enough to help her focus and relax, no longer distracted by her stomach, but it wasn't really doing much for her. Even though she could remain in her room, what point was there to being in here right now? She couldn't really just isolate herself, there was too much at stake to really do that, if they couldn't work together, it was going to be a long six months. She forced herself to stand up from her new home, sliding the cards back into the deck box as she stepped out of her room. She took a few small steps forwards before coming to terms with the fact that...

She had no idea where anyone had gone. She remembered there had been a disagreement and then a challenge, so a duel was probably going on. Other than that, she had no idea where anyone would've gone. For her... She wanted to take another look at that library. She made her way down towards the room that had given her that strange sense of comfort, and threw the door open to enter it. And again, a feeling of familiarity washed over her once more. Another time she would have to check out that TV, the game systems attached to it could be something fun to learn about, but for now...

She started to peruse the bookshelves, slowly drawing her hand along them as her attention drifted from one spine to the next, examining the titles as she smiled gently. Books were a commodity back in Hearthome, they were often destroyed in gang wars, and collecting scraps was usually fruitless. She was lucky to be able to read, growing up where she did. It was only thanks to the efforts of her father to preserve a few books for her that she was able to keep herself practiced... She grabbed a few books off the shelves, a couple generic fantasy stories, but one in particular stood out among the rest, a non-fiction book about Hearthome's history. It was definitely thicker than the rest of the books she had grabbed. She made her way to one of the tables, sitting down quietly to start flicking through the pages of the history book first...

"I didn't ask for anything." 

"I know. But you seemed hungry, and I figured you wouldn't get it on your own."

"It's not poison. But there's no meat. What's the point? Why do you people eat like rodents? I bet you'd be tastier."

When Dragonecro spoke, Shannon just followed the lead of Luster. Ignoring his comments. He seemed eager to get reactions from them, of some sort, so why give him the credit? Luckily, Hotaru told him to stop before he could go further, then began eating her bag. Shannon smiled as she popped a piece into her mouth and chewed, before Hotaru spoke up again.

"Who do you think is going to win?" The girl muttered again.

Dragonecro answered anyway. "It'll be the big guy. That little rabbit isn't fit for this at all."

"Mmm, as of now, I'd have to agree with Zirco winning. He's aggressive, and Leiko's move seems a bit too reactive. However..." Shannon quickly chewed another piece of popcorn as she gathered her thoughts, "I don't get why he didn't Synchro Summon. He might be looking down on Leiko in the same way he thought she was looking down on him, and it could cost him the game... But, it's still too early to tell!"

4ys06lN.png

"Who do you think is going to win?"

"It'll be the big guy. That little rabbit isn't fit for this at all."

"Mmm, as of now, I'd have to agree with Zirco winning. He's aggressive, and Leiko's move seems a bit too reactive. However... I don't get why he didn't Synchro Summon. He might be looking down on Leiko in the same way he thought she was looking down on him, and it could cost him the game... But, it's still too early to tell!"

"Looking down on  your opponent often does that," Natsumi commented, looking with a lack of amazement at the current duel. Here she was hoping to see something impressive from the pair, but it was all looking pretty typical, wasn't it? If not a bit underwhelming. Both duelists were using decks that liked to Synchro Summon, weren't they? Yet not a single synchro monster was to be seen so far. But both of the duelists had face-down cards. Maybe they were just weighing each other out first? Natsumi wanted to assume that was the case. For now, that was what she'd be going with.

The smell of the popcorn was pretty enticing, meanwhile. Natsumi had to pass though; the kernels always gave her more trouble than the popcorn itself was worth.

"Unless that really is their best. In which case, this whole project desperately needs improvement."

Although, would it really be Leiko's fault if she really has been in the project for such a short time?

Barbatos hummed to himself as he began to cut bagels with his large katana, using a large claymore to spread the cream cheese on them. He was absorbed in his work, and listening to music so if they wanted to get his attention, they'd have to speak up.

"I set 2 cards and end my turn!"

Zirco drew his card quietly, looking at it before he started his play. Now it was time to shift into the next gear. "I Normal Summon X-Saber Anu Piranha onto the field!" A woman with long blond hair, red armor, and a whip appeared on the field.

X-Saber Anu Piranha
Level 4,1800

"And now that I have two X-Sabers on the field, I can Special Summon XX-Saber Faultroll from my hand!" As he slammed the card onto his disk, a large man in red futuristic armor flew onto the field, a red cape billowing in the wind.

XX-Saber Faultroll
Level 6,2400

"I activate his effect! Once per turn, I can revive one X-Saber Monster from the grave! Revive, Boggart Knight!" The goblin knight revived, sneering at Leiko. "And now, it's time for a Synchro Summon!" Zirco called out as he raised a fist into the air. "I tune my X-Saber Airbellum with my X-Saber Anu Piranha!" With a feral roar, Airbellum split into three green rings as Anu turned into four stars. "Warrior of the Crossed Blades, return these warriors to their makers! Synchro Summon! Level 7, X-Saber Urbellum!"

X-Saber Urbellum
Level 7, 2200

A tall warrior wearing a helmet fashioned after a bull and wield two large swords appeared on the field, its tattered red cape flowing in the wind. "Now, Battle! X-Saber Urbellum attacks Rush Rhino!" The large man dashed forward, swinging a sword down on Rush Rhino, before taking the other sword and slashing with it, making a large X with its attack. The Rhino exploded into dust after the attack, and Leiko's lifepoints went down.

Leiko: 8000>7400

"And now, Faultroll attacks you directly!" Faultroll flew towards Leiko, raising its sword and slamming it down into the girl's back with a huge explosion, smoke shrouding Leiko's bike. But as it cleared, Faultroll rose from the billowing smoke to reveal a slowly spinning Trap card hovering over the hunched-over, wide-eyed Leiko. Her Life Point meter had not changed.

"Defense Draw... It reduces Faultroll's damage to zero, and I draw a card to replace it," she said shakily. Zirco growled as he threw out his hand.

"Then Boggart Knight attacks you directly!" The goblin ran forward, slashing Leiko swiftly before returning back to where it came from.

Leiko: 7400 > 5500

"With that, I end my turn,"

Leiko breathed heavily as Zirco's turn finished. The onslaught of his attacks had been terrifying; He had swept away Rush Rhino like it was nothing, and reduced a huge chunk out of her Life Points. She looked wide-eyed over her shoulder at the horde of monsters he had rapidly assembled. And she had already destroyed one. For him to rebuild this quickly... Clearly he was skilled.

Of course he is, she berated herself, looking back ahead just in time to avoid driving into the edge of the track, jerking her bike into the turn in a heart-stopping moment. He was brought here same as Houki. He's... He's maybe the same caliber. Her sister's visage loomed in her mind, towering over her with Duel Disk at the ready, only to slowly be replaced by Zirco and his horde of Saber monsters. He's someone they actually wanted.

Her beeping D Wheel brought her from her stupor. She looked down at the screen to see an image of her Rush Rhino card blinking in and out upon it. She realized quickly what it was, placing a hand to the deck on her wrist. "Rush Rhino's effect activates in the End Phase... I add another Tech Genus monster to my hand. I add... Jet Falcon." Her frazzled brain picked the first card that came to mind, the monster ejecting from her deck and being placed into her hand.

It took her a few moments to realize that it was even her own turn, she was so out of it. The full weight of this duel was on her mind now; She was fighting someone who was considered by the Project to be on the same tier as Houki. She couldn't beat somebody like that.

"I... I draw." She looked to see her options, such as they were. She didn't know if they would matter against Zirco. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. 'At the very least I can try and make him less angry,' she thought wearily, remembering his words earlier. "Don't throw the duel." "I summon Tech Genus Catapult Dragon." A gray and red, swuat dragon with a long horn that looked like a launching platform appeared on her field, long wings to either side.

Tech Genus Catapult Dragon
Level 2, 900

"Each turn this card can summon a Level 3 or lower Tech Genus from my hand. I select Jet Falcon!" The dragon raised its head, a burst of fire issuing along the horn that flew up into the air, materializing into a blue-red feathered bird that let out a loud cry as it came to hover beside Leiko's bike.

Tech Genus Jet Falcon
Level 3, 1400

"A tuner monster, huh?" Zirco muttered to himself as he looked at the field. "Looks like we'll finally see what you got up your sleeve, Ms. Less-Than-A-Year,"

"I'm tuning my level 2 Catapult Dragon with my level 3 Jet Falcon." Jet Falcon let out a loud caw as it glowed brightly, splitting into three rings of green energy that surrounded Catapult Dragon as it split into two bright motes of light.

"Limiter Removal, Level 5," Leiko listed off, seeing the contents of her Extra Deck appear before her in her computerized visor. "Defense Maneuver, go. Ground Support, OK, All Clear! Synchro Summon... Tech Genus, Max Tactician." With a bright flash of light Leiko's monster was revealed: A tall, thin-looking man with long blue robes, the sleeves tapering off to form thin shields, a large plate of steel raised to cover half his face as he took up a position next to Leiko.

Tech Genus Max Tactician
Level 5, 2000

The monster raised a hand, a glowing sphere of energy appearing within its grasp. "Jet Falcon's effect... I inflict 500 damage whenever I use it to Synchro Summon." With a kick, the orb flew out of his grip, blasting into Zirco's back and exploding, a plume of smoke appearing around him. Zirco growled to himself as he spun his D-Wheel around, driving backwards to starte down Leiko and see what her next move was.

Zirco: 7900 > 7400

"I play Synchro Blast Wave next," Leiko continued, the Spell card placed in her Duel Disk as a wave of force emanated from the front of her D-Wheel, Faultroll shuddering in its wake as it was blown to shards. "It destroys any monster if I have a Synchro Monster. Now, battle!"

She raised a hand, looking at Zirco's field... And catching sight of the man himself. For a split second it looked like her sister on the bike, looking back at her. Leiko's hand faltered as the arm she pointed with spasmed with pain, the mark on her arm searing. She gasped for breath as she pulled it back, then brought her hand back to her wrist dealer.

"... I set a card." Her voice was muted, barely coming through Zirco's helmet speaker.

Morodate scowled at the sight, drumming a finger on the arm of his chair. "She had a clear attack..." he commented irritably. "She was able to destroy Boggart Knight once before already. She knows the way is clear. Come on, Leiko, you're better than that."

"Maybe she's just scared of Zirco," Yamata stated as she took a sip of tea. "The boy is a handful and has a powerful bark. She's probably under a lot of pressure right now," She sighed. "Granted, Zirco's not dueling much better. He probably could have summoned his signer dragon by now, but knowing him, he won't do it until his back is against the wall,"

Zirco's eyes narrowed as he saw Leiko didn't attack. It seemed like a cocky move, but she was insisting she was just scared. That almost angered him even more.  "Feh, either you're too scared or too confident to attack, and I dunno which is worse! But guess what, that's gonna bite you in your ass!"

Leiko lowered her head, unable to raise her vision. Unable to look at him. "... Turn end."

Hypatia

Oh. Right. This was Kiyoko. She had turned down the money part of Blues' offer because she only cared about saving lives. Hypatia hadn't been so sure that someone like that could really exist. But Kiyoko seemed to be that person, or at least like she wanted to be. Hypatia took a moment to compose herself. She was approaching this wrong, she realized. For someone who spoke so surely about being chosen, friends was probably pushing it, but something more reasonable... Maybe allies? That could work. She could make that work, or at the very least she could get some information. She put on a smile and feigned a confidence that, apparently, at some point in her life she had learned to feign.

"What's up with me? Ah, I'm so glad you asked! I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed is all..." She ended that sentence with morose lilt, while simultaneously making a contrary motion with her hand as if to dismiss her own concerns as nothing. She took the other and discreetly reached into her bag. "I do want to help you all out, I really do... But, I don't how much I can. You're all so clearly chosen that I just don't know how I can compare. Especially with all of this talk of marks and Duel Dragons while I'm not even sure that I know how these cards work." She pulled her hand out of her bag revealing her deck, free from its case, which she presented languidly before Kiyoko. "Oh! I have an idea!" She punctuated this statement with exaggerated enthusiasm, as if she had truly come up with this idea at the moment that she was suggesting she had. "Why don't we have a game at breakfast? A friendly duel. Is that what they're called?" Hypatia had felt that the cards were important without really knowing why, and, more importantly, they seemed to be tied to this project. She thought back to how Kiyoko had introduced herself. What was it she had said? Ah, that was it. "We are going to be working together after all. It would be a shame if I couldn't pull my weight..."

Edited by Fearen

"Mmm, as of now, I'd have to agree with Zirco winning. He's aggressive, and Leiko's move seems a bit too reactive. However...I don't get why he didn't Synchro Summon. He might be looking down on Leiko in the same way he thought she was looking down on him, and it could cost him the game... But, it's still too early to tell!"

She hadn't expected anyone to answer her. Not only Shannon but another, soon after, joined in and gave an answer. Hotaru shied away a bit, moving to the other end of the couch, and watched the screen from under her bangs. She didn't have much investment in the duel but there wasn't much else to pay attention to. When Leiko made her move she came to a realization, or at least she thought she realized something, and blurted out. "She doesn't want to win."

A few moments later she could hear Dragonecro chuckling. Then he spoke up. "Can I eat this one? He seems scared. Those are the tastiest."

Hotaru sighed and turned to see, still looking through her bangs, at what her dragon companion was talking about.

Another of the group, Jet, was standing there watching the duel. Dragonecro, unbeknownst to him, was hovering over the boy, tail curled around him, grinning mere inches from his face. Without thinking Hotaru said to the, invisible to the boy, spirit, "Don't eat him."

She froze up when she realized what she did. To the boy it would look like this gangly girl turned and, without looking directly at him, just told something that wasn't there not to eat him.