Saikazo

advanced rp Yugioh: Project Crimson

Jb1k7yv.png?1

Kiyoko looked from person to person  as they all introduced themselves. There was a sense in her already that a large majority of them would be some kind of problematic. Raijin with his anger, Zircon and Tora seemingly unwilling to participate this cause at all, and Leiko with her confusion. There were a few others she was unsure of as well, the Hotaru girl who she could only make out about have of what she was saying, and Jet who seemed to have some sort of a stutter to him. Looking towards Octavia, the girl merely shrugged, about as confused as to what this whole "slumber party" thing was as she was, but didn't speak up beyond that. Soon enough, someone else had appeared in a manner that left Kiyoko more puzzled more than anything. 

It took her a moment to get over this, looking from the man to the pack that he dropped on the ground, and missing the first bit of what he had actually said. All the same, she seemed to grow more focused as the conversation came back to what they were all here for. She wasn't exactly sure why Blues seemed so apologetic for their participation in Project Crimson, nor did she understand why he wanted to shut it down. But she did know that each one of them was important to stop something from happening. She didn't know what, as they didn't, but she had come onto this project to ensure that people would not be hurt. And she would not allow these "blood ritual" things to continue. 

As their task seemed clear, Kiyoko was about to say something, when Shannon had spoken up once more. As she made her declaration of how they needed to be more properly compensated, Kiyoko furrowed her brow. "I have an objection." She looked at the girl square in the eyes. "I have no need to be compensated. I'm not really sure what you need a 'billion dollars?'" Her voice had an air of confusion as she said this before continuing, "for anyway. However, I'm fine just knowing that I'll save others from harm. So, I will refuse his offer." The girl seemed to be completely stone faced as she made this declaration of her own.

Octavia
»»————- ♡ ————-««

"I understand how you feel, but for now, you'll have to keep your chin up and keep pushing forward."

That sort of caring tone was definitely not what she had expected to hear from the strange, strange man that had greeted them here, especially not after the strange introduction to him that they were given, but at the moment, Octavia couldn't really take the time to consider that. As soon as he was done talking and musing about the 'late' person, a sound began to grow above them, getting louder as a man began to descend from the sky and land on the ground, not too far away from them. Octavia could only lean back with a yelp as she pushed herself away from the table to try and process the sudden arrival, but he almost immediately began to speak upon landing, wasting no time to get right into the thick of things.

'Mr. Kaiba' didn't hesitate to introduce himself as the head of Kaiba Corp, though the follow up on shutting down this project definitely caught her attention. Even with the divided nature of the group, it felt like more of them were leaning towards not wanting to be here at all. Even the more neutral ones that weren't her didn't seem to be a big fan of it, with maybe one or two that were here and seemed happy about it...

The reveal that he wasn't going to shut it down yet was slightly disheartening at first, but he promptly followed it up with a rather... 'Generous' offer of a large sum of money and a full paid off home wherever they wanted if they cooperated with him... For Octavia, that was beyond anything she would've expected. She had calmed down enough to take a deep breath, before putting her hands down on the table in front of her as she relaxed, about to speak up...

"Hm... I'm not so sure about that, Mr. Kaiba."

Her again. The strange girl was starting to speak again, this time against the plan though? Just barely any time before she seemed entirely fine with whatever was happening! She kept going... Building up to her absurd demand of a billion each, a look of shock appearing on Octavia's face... Though thankfully that could just be in reaction to Kaiba and not Shannon's absurd request. Her voice lowered to a whisper as she leaned in towards Shannon, "Are you crazy?! He technically wouldn't have to give us anything at all if he didn't want to... The fact that he's offering us any compensation at all is incredible! You have to know when to haggle and this is not the time!"

After that, the girl who had shown Micheal and had shrugged towards her spoke up next, taking a more altruistic road. Respectable, but... Not something that Octavia could go along with herself. Even if she didn't want to admit, she had to acknowledge the confidence that Shannon had. She was holding none of the cards but had the balls to go for a push like that... Insanity, but the confidence was outstanding. She put her hands in the pockets of her jacket as she looked back towards Kaiba, deciding to go along with Shannon's bluff as best as she could. They couldn't afford to show an obvious crack in negotiation this early... "I'm in. Though, I'll have to go with the money and home myself. The money will help me back home... And I want to talk to you about the situation in Hearthome once we figure out what's going on with the missing people."

Hotaru relaxed as she noticed that the Dragon that Dragonecro was threatening didn't seem to be bothered. Though Dragonecro himself seemed to be put off by that. "Very well, little dragon, another time." He then leaned back to his position behind Hotaru's shoulder.

"Hey, Hotaru." The Dragon said in a quieter voice. "There's a garbage heap coming our way. I wonder if it'd rust if left out in the rain."

Hotaru's eyes flicked over towards where the Scrap Worm was closing in on them. She lifted her legs so that her feet were on the chair as well, as though that would keep the thing from being able to touch her. It was a strange looking monster. It didn't look very threatening but it'd be just her luck if it carried some kind of spirit disease.

Then she almost fell out of her chair as the other wing, who was much different than herself she had noticed, suddenly erupted. He seemed upset mostly that everyone else was okay with all this. Hotaru opened her mouth to say something, then closed it, thinking better of it.

"Go ahead Hotaru, you have something to say, say it."

She nodded at the prompting and tried to look at Zirco's face, only managing to look at his chest. "I...don't think I...have anything else to do. Might as well, um, get it over with." She said, in her whispered, zombie-like, voice. Upon saying that she lowered her face again to hide it from the others.

She could hear the girl talking about not having done this as long as they are and she felt a bit of bitterness well up. What was the point of all that time if they could do it so quickly?

It wasn't much longer after this than someone arrived. The name Kaiba rang a bell but she didn't so much as look up to see what he looked like. For all she knew he was just a floating jacket talking to them. A thought brought on by Dragonecro's derisive "What a lame jacket." from beside her.

It turns out that he wanted them to be some sort of hero. Hero, her? No, that wasn't possible. She didn't want that at all. She just wanted to be left alone and....well she didn't know what then. People were vanishing, apparently. Hotaru probably should feel something for them. But she really didn't. They were just things that she didn't know. Just faceless somethings. What was it to her if they were gone?

But it didn't sound like they had much choice. If she didn't do it then she would just be out on her own with nothing to her name.

Nothing the others were saying was really getting through to her. Except that one girl...Octavia?

"And I want to talk to you about the situation in Hearthome once we figure out what's going on with the missing people."

Why? Did she think that she could actually make some sort of difference in the city? Hotaru looked up then, to look at this girl, unintentionally staring at her with her emotionless gaze. Why would, after all this, she bother trying to do more? Hotaru knew after she was done with this she'd do her best to keep away from any sort of responsibility.

Everyone was saying how they would accept this offer but Hotaru didn't bother. She heard him well enough. They had to do this anyway. He acted like there was a choice but they really didn't have one. Her thought on it didn't matter at all. Her gaze slowly lowered from Octavia as she once more resumed her original position.

4ys06lN.png

"Are you all kiddin' me?! Y'all are just going along with this?"

Natsumi simply nodded. Even if they didn't "just go along with this", what were their other options? They had no money, nor the means to get any, short of duel tournaments. But trying to go rogue and winning those would just keep alerting KaibaCorp to their location. For better or worse, there were really no other options left but to see what else Project Crimson had in store for them. With everyone now having their marks, it was at least safe to assume the experiments themselves were over.

The other Signers, however, were in a state of chaos. Tora just wanted to go home, Leiko was apparently new to all this (according to the thug anyway), to say nothing of the others. Natsumi was doing her best to pay attention to the task at hand, but they sure were making that tough. Trying to keep an eye on her duel spirit to ensure it didn't start any trouble only exacerbated the task.

And then, like the closest thing to an angel this madhouse of a meeting could hope for, he appeared. Blues Kaiba, the recently-promoted CEO of KaibaCorp, the man who had explained what the project itself was, and the owner of a rather gaudy-looking jacket. From the sound of what he'd said though, there was not only a need for heroes right now, but Blues was willing to generously compensate everyone for their time in the labs and the task they were about to face off with. What a sudden turn of--

"I have an objection. I have no need to be compensated. I'm not really sure what you need a 'billion dollars?' for anyway. However, I'm fine just knowing that I'll save others from harm. So, I will refuse his offer."

"Your heart's in the right place, but you should take the money. There's no rule saying you have to spend it all on yourself."

"I'm in. Though, I'll have to go with the money and home myself. The money will help me back home... And I want to talk to you about the situation in Hearthome once we figure out what's going on with the missing people."

Like that.

"I'll also accept your offer, Mr. Kaiba. However, I'd like to talk about the state of Hearthome City as well, after we've handled the missing people issue." If Natsumi thought really hard, she could still see the city before its fall from grace, in vague memories. Seeing that restored to reality was far more valuable to Natsumi than a bank account. The green-haired girl cast a contented nod in Octavia's direction. It was nice that someone else cared about the city.

Scrap Worm, in the meantime, appeared to have disappeared. As if it had burrowed into the ground, but without a hole to serve as evidence. He'll be back. Probably just running around the prison to check for any dumpsters or something.

msc0pXW.jpg

iU8EggM.png

"Are you all kiddin' me?!"

Jet was silent, as he looked in Zirco's direction for a moment or two. Honestly, he didn't want to go along with this...he didn't want any of this...but he knew if he didn't, Akihiro, who was still behind him would speak up for him and most likely get pissed. But he knew why Zirco was getting irate, he understood it. But then a new revelation presented itself before the group: a newbie to this insane experiment and project.

"I don't know what... Marks, Duel Dragons...I don't know what...What is this all about? I... I haven't been told anything, I've just... been put through all these tests, and now there's more, and there's all of YOU... I don't understand any of it."

He looked at Leiko and his eyes slowly drifted back to the ground. T-That's exactly how I was...the moment I-I was taken into the Turbo Branch...but...s-she's even more scared than I was... Jet thought, glancing again at Leiko. ...it's plain on h-her face...

However, the "guest of honor" finally arrived and Jet saw the individual with that all too familiar coat. It was on almost every picture in the Turbo Branch, almost a staple of the CEO...along with that signature dragon of theirs. Blues Kaiba finally entered the scene. Jet stared a bit at the man, his hand gripping onto his right arm, feeling it shaking greatly.

"About two weeks ago, I had learned of Project Crimson, and reading up on it, my first instinct was to shut it down. I still intend to... however..."

" I had planned on letting you all go, help you get started in life but... "

Jet heard this sentence and his one shooting star of possible hope fizzled out. His grip on his arm grew tighter, as he looked down at the ground. H-He was going to...he was going to shut this down...? B-But...he didn't...? He kept listening in on the Kaiba speak, hearing how his grandfather, Cyan, started this project and how his father, Azure, kept it going. How it was under Azure that things got worse and that they were the third generation of test subjects and the first successes... But he wasn't caring about that. He was angry...furious even. The one chance he had...the one shot to be free from this hell...and it fizzled out, being choked out by Kaiba.

"So, this is my offer to you all. You work with me for six months as Branded Signers, and help me save the world. When those six months are up, however, you're free. You'll be able to leave, a million dollars in your pockets, and a house provided in any city you want, no rent and no bills. What do you all say?"

"Hoshimi, Mr. Kaiba just proposed a question." Jet heard Akihiro clear his throat behind him, most likely to get him to focus. "Try not to be rude to our benefactor." Then he heard Akihiro's voice in a hushed tone. "After all...an opportunity like this is what you've been waiting for, isn't it?"

"Y-Yes sir...s-sorry sir..." Jet nodded quickly, trying his best not to acknowledge the whisper. "M-Mr. K-Kaiba sir...I-I...I..." he started to stammer and studder. Tell him off...tell him off right now! Run away...do something!! Don't just follow orders! a voice popped into his head, a voice that he always kept silent. There was no doubt he wanted to...he truly did...but right now, he was a good soldier...he followed orders. "I-I'll h-help out..."

Hypatia

Hypatia finished looking through the cards she had found in her bag and looked up to see what had caused the booming sound that reverberated through the mess hall. Seeing a man in a jet pack flying down from the ceiling, she smirked and sat herself on a table cross-legged as she waited for whatever show he had in store for his captive audience. She had to give him props for the sheer audacity of riding in on a jet pack, but introducing himself along with the family business practice of ruining lives felt a bit in bad taste. He ended his speech with an offer.

"Oh, so it's a comedy performance?" Hypatia whispered under her breath. Nearly everyone here seemed to be broken in some way or another, which was apparently the legacy of the man in front of them. Yet he was still standing there in front of them in the literal prison that he had gathered them in, offering to buy their service as child soldiers. Before Hypatia had the chance to really think about that, their self-appointed leader responded with a joke of her own.

"Surely you could spare a billion each?"

Hypatia let out a short cackle at that before catching herself. Something about Ms. Sparkles standing up to the rich kid on the jet pack made her very happy. Maybe she wouldn't be such a bad leader after all. Kiyoko seemed to disagree with Shannon's methods, but the two of them seemed equally eager to be the hero of this story.

Two of the others added another condition to the offer. Octavia and Natsumi both expressed their concern about the state of something called Hearthome. Hypatia didn't know what that was, but it made her feel a distinctly distant sadness that she imagined one might feel upon hearing that a close friend's parent had died. She tried not to think about that too much as the quiet guy stammered out his response.

Seriously, was he going to be okay? Maybe she should say something to him? She pushed that thought out of her head. There were plenty of people to worry about in this small group, but now didn't seem to be the time nor the place. She thought about the situation for a moment before pushing herself off of the table and landing from a short leap. She took a few steps closer to Blues before beginning in a sarcastic tone.

"Well, you certainly drive a hard bargain Mr. Kaiba, but I care a bit less about the money than I do the fact that I can't remember a single thing past this morning. Don't get me wrong - I do care about the money." She gave a little half-shrug motion and a slightly insincere, conciliatory expression before taking a more solemn tone. "I'm just a little more concerned that yesterday and beyond is just sort of..." She punctuated the last word with an exaggerated 'poof' motion with her hands. "Blank."

Edited by Fearen

Tora Mori

It wasn't long through their introductions that a loud boom echoed through the room and Mr. Blues Kaiba himself had dropped from the ceiling. Tora leaped to her feet with a startled yelp as the man landed on the floor gingerly and turned his jetpack off. The pleasantries were short as he gave a short history of Project Crimson, teased Tora with the hope of simply being let go free, but stamped that hope quickly as he described the situation going on right now.

"Right. So, this is my offer to you all. You work with me for six months as Branded Signers, and help me save the world. When those six months are up, however, you're free. You'll be able to leave, a million dollars in your pockets, and a house provided in any city you want, no rent and no bills. What do you all say?" Blues Kaiba said.

A million dollars? And no rent, no bills?! Ideas raced through Tora's mind of all that could be accomplished with that money. No more living paycheck-to-paycheck, and more than enough money that she would possibly need that she could help those around her. Her thoughts then strayed to the Grand Prix, the entrance fee, being able to upgrade a runner, enter and--

No, there was no way she could do any of that. There was no way she could possibly win any of the smaller tournaments as it was. Tora was a terrible duelist; Ms. Katsuki knew this, Tora knew this, and there was no way Blues Kaiba didn't know this as well. Even if Tora helped out, would she even be a help? Were they in danger, would she just be getting herself killed? And if she turned it down... could she go home?

The others accepted one by one. Some reluctant, some oozing a confidence that Tora could only dream of having, others insisting they didn't want compensation, and some even daring to drive the deal even higher.

Tora wasn't a hero, she wasn't a savior to anyone. She was a girl that just wanted to go home and be with her loved ones, that wanted things to be like they once were...

...But could that even happen? What was she going home to? Hiroto always knew what to do, he never had any doubts. Even when they were kicked out of the orphanage and things looked bleakest, he always seemed to crack a smile and know just where to go, even if it meant working the hardest to get there.

"I mean, where else can we go but forward? You don't win the race goin' backwards!"

Tora shut her eyes tight and growled. She didn't like any of what was going on and every instinct but one was screaming at her to turn back and go home. But Hiroto wouldn't turn this down, not for the world.

"E-excuse me," Tora said tentatively, but the noise in the room from everyone else talking drowned out her voice. "Excuse me!" She said louder this time, but still no success. Tora took a deep breath.

"Everyone, shut up!!" She shouted, her face a bright, beet red as she felt every eye turn on her. Fists clenched, she marched right up to Blues Kaiba, arms shaking and knees threatening to buckle at any minute. "L-look, I know I got the mark and the claw and all... but I feel like... the whole thing must be random. I'm not... I'm not a good duelist, I only know the rules and I've never really played much with anyone but my brother. I-- your offer is very, very generous, and... any of us would be stupid to say no. I want to help, but I don't think I will be a help." Tora took a deep breath. "But... but even so! I'm not going to back down easy. So if you'll have me... I'm in!"

Hiroto was never someone who turn down an opportunity to help someone else, and for his sake... she shouldn't either.

YxoyLXy.png

Raijin rolled his eyes at Zirco's outrage. Didn't this idiot realize that they didn't have a say in the matter. The boy let out a sigh, sinking lower into his chair as the others spoke. As the others kept babbling on, a man in a white coat entered the room. The man, who called himself Blues Kaiba, gave them a rather interesting proposition. So they spent all that time in torture in order to form some sort of superhero team? It sounded like the plot to some super hero movie, almost like a sick joke on all of them. However, rent free housing with that much money anywhere he wanted was too good to pass up. Plus, Raijin knew deep down that they didn't really have a say in the matter; hell, he was surprised that Kaiba was even offering this to them, although it seemed Kaiba didn't seem keen on the project. This was his ticket out of this hell.

He sat in his chair, listening to the other's responses. Shannon actually managed to get a chuckle out of Raijin, as she boldly tried to get more money out of him. His grin was almost immediately washed away when she started on again with the family bullshit. The look of disgust he was given Shannon become a look of shock as he turned to Kiyoko. Was she insane? No; she was just stupid.

The next two seemed to be concerned about Hearthome City. He didn't hear much about any of the other cities; the only place he kept tabs on what the shithole known as Taccon City. Another one stepped up, asking about about her memory. There was something about Hypatia that caught his attention. She had memory lost apparently. That sounded rough; even with how much he hated the shit he had to go through, he'd never want to forget it. Another timid boy also agreed to join.

As everyone was talking, his eyes shifted over to Tora. She seemed lost, not even knowing what a duel dragon was. She also seemed to be trying to get everyone's attention, which wasn't working until...

"Everyone, shut up!!"

Even Raijin sat up straight, not expecting the girl's outburst. She seemed scared shitless, making Raijin feel bad for the poor girl. It reminded him of how he felt when he first enrolled into this nightmare. Still, shakily so, she also agreed to join in.

Raijin stood up. "I'm in!" He shouted, with the first ounce of excitement found in his voice in a long time. He cracked his knuckles. "The sooner I get out of this mess, the better!" He turned to the rest of the group. He didn't like it, but he was going to have to talk to these buffoons at some points; after all, he had to learn about the other cities to pick his permanent vacation spot.

Leiko felt a kinship with Tora as the girl started showing signs of confusion as well, even as she tried to fill Leiko in on the situation. She felt herself standing, moving over to where the girl had fallen on the floor and slowly moving down onto her knees next to her, the words she said running through her head. The mark on her arm, that was what Shannon was talking about. As for the Duel Dragons, if those were cards.

She felt a chill run up her spine as she remembered how annoyed the scientists had gotten every time she had failed to play that one card. The one sitting in her deck box right now. She looked up to Morodate with wide eyes. He didn't meet them, but already she could tell she was right. 

She flinched away from Zirco's question, somehow feeling the anger. They had been here so much longer... What right did she have to be to so upset? She felt the guilt gnawing at her, unable to shake it. And Kaiba's appearance didn't help much.

"Crimson Dragon?" she asked, feeling a pang of stupidity lance into her. Another thing she didn't know. A lot of his speech confused her even more. One thing in particular: That they were supposed to be some kind of heroes. She looked around the room, at everyone assembled, and couldn't help but think one thing: They sure didn't look like them.

The phrase 'third generation' was dropped, and Leiko tuned out, feeling an icy chill within her entire body. They were the third? Would that mean...?

She didn't process a lot of what happened over the next few seconds, only dimly heating Mr. Kaiba. Shannon's sudden, calm voice snapped her back into reality, and Leiko scrambled to keep up, find the context. Shannon was saying a million and a house wasn't enough... Kaiba was offering a... a reward? After all this? Shannon's confident statement of wanting a billion each rattled Leiko to her core. How was she so CALM during all this? How were ALL of them so calm?

Even Tora managed to yell at Kaiba, to voice a lot of what Leiko herself was feeling right this second. Why them? Why them to save the world?

And why me, especially...

She realized suddenly that she was the only one who had yet to speak. Panic mounted in her chest as she tried and failed to meet Kaiba's eyes, wrenching her gaze away twice, three times.

"I..." She took a deep, wrattling breath, slowly standing. "I don't think... Mr. Kaiba, I think you made a mistake!" Her voice broke as she stared at the ground, shaking, barely able to get the words out. "You're talking like we're supposed to be some kind of heroes but... You don't want me. I know you don't."

"Leiko!" Morodate shouted her name sharply, the girl wincing at the sound. 

"I can't, Morodate, you don't think so either." She clamped a hand around the mark on her arm as it twinged with pain. Another reminder it shouldn't be there. "You know I'm not supposed to be here, Mr. Kaiba. I know it too. I... I want to leave. I can't do this." A single tear rolled down Leiko's face, obscued by the hair that hung around it.

Houki could have. I can't.

Blues didn't think the first thing he would get was a counter offer... well, not so much a counter offer as it was a a demand, one that most people would call outrageous. He certainly believed it to be so.

"After what they've been through, and with the considerable wealth of KaibaCorp factored in... Surely you could spare a billion each?"  Blues would have answered, but she turned away to talk to everyone else. "Now, we should probably settle in and get to know each other better, yes? We have the pleasantries out of the way, and I'm sure no one would like to turn down Mr Kaiba's generous offer of a house of your choosing plus a billion dollars. The sooner we get to know each other, the sooner our family will come to love each other, despite the tense beginnings."

"You really could screw them over right now," Mr. E commented. Blues shook his head. That wasn't what he came here to do, and he was positive that Shannon didn't realize the difference between a million and a billion. It was... bigger than people imagined.

"I have an objection." Kiyoko looked at the girl square in the eyes. "I have no need to be compensated. I'm not really sure what you need a 'billion dollars?'" Her voice had an air of confusion as she said this before continuing, "for anyway. However, I'm fine just knowing that I'll save others from harm. So, I will refuse his offer."

"What a good girl," Mr. E acted as if he was sobbing, placing a sleeve to his eyes. "I thought such pureness was gone from the world," Blues elbowed the white haired man in the side, causing Mr. E to yelp a little.

"I'm in. Though, I'll have to go with the money and home myself. The money will help me back home... And I want to talk to you about the situation in Hearthome once we figure out what's going on with the missing people."

"I'll also accept your offer, Mr. Kaiba. However, I'd like to talk about the state of Hearthome City as well, after we've handled the missing people issue."

Blues simply nodded. "I'll be willing to talk to you and help to the best of my abilities,"

"M-Mr. K-Kaiba sir...I-I...I..." Blues looked over to the stuttering boy known as Jet. "I-I'll h-help out..." Blues narrowed his eyes behind his sunglasses, but said nothing else. 

"Well, you certainly drive a hard bargain Mr. Kaiba, but I care a bit less about the money than I do the fact that I can't remember a single thing past this morning. Don't get me wrong - I do care about the money." Hypatia commented. "I'm just a little more concerned that yesterday and beyond is just sort of..." She punctuated the last word with an exaggerated 'poof' motion with her hands. "Blank." Blues nodded, listening to Hypatia's concerns. He didn't have any solutions on hand... but...

"That is troubling, most likely a side effect of the experiments," Blues decided, before looking to Mr. E. The white haired man pointed to himself, pretending as if he was confused. He then looked over to Hypatia.

"That is indeed troubling... but I maybe able to help," Mr. E supplied. "However, I'm not a miracle worker. It may take a bit to fully recover your memories," Other people were talking to each other, but Tora let out a mighty,

"Everyone, shut up!!" Fists clenched, she marched right up to Blues, arms shaking and knees threatening to buckle at any minute, which really made Blues cock an eyebrow. "L-look, I know I got the mark and the claw and all... but I feel like... the whole thing must be random. I'm not... I'm not a good duelist, I only know the rules and I've never really played much with anyone but my brother. I-- your offer is very, very generous, and... any of us would be stupid to say no. I want to help, but I don't think I will be a help." Tora took a deep breath. "But... but even so! I'm not going to back down easy. So if you'll have me... I'm in!"

"But of course. Welcome aboard," Blues said with a smile.

"Now, please dear, sit down for a bit. You look like you're going to pass out," Mr. E added, smiling gently.

"I'm in!" Raijin shouted. "The sooner I get out of this mess, the better!" Blues nodded. There was only two left....

"I don't think... Mr. Kaiba, I think you made a mistake!" Leiko's voice broke as she stared at the ground, shaking. "You're talking like we're supposed to be some kind of heroes but... You don't want me. I know you don't."

"Leiko!" The handler shouted her name, causing Leiko to flinch.

"I can't, Morodate, you don't think so either. You know I'm not supposed to be here, Mr. Kaiba. I know it too. I... I want to leave. I can't do this."

"That's the kicker, isn't it?" Blues commented. "None of you are supposed to be here. This godforsaken program should never had existed, and yet, here we all," Blues folded his arms. "If you don't accept, I suppose I can---,"

"Oh, hell no!" Zirco whipped his head to stare right at Leiko, his blue eyes blazing with fury. He stood up, grabbing his jacket and tossing it off, before grabbing his shirt and lifting it up, turning around so that instead of his toned stomach being shown, he was showing off his back. He pointed to the mark of the Right Wing on his right shoulder. "You got one of these, right? What did it take? A year? Less?" He pulled his shirt back down. "It took me thirteen years to get this damn thing! Thirteen years of those horrible experiments, every day. For seven of those years, I barely got enough food to survive, and sure as hell didn't have good clothes or a warm place to sleep. And yet here you come, skipping in and just getting one. So, Ms. Less than a Year, now you're gonna just bolt, leaving the rest of us just to suffer more?!" He bent down, looking her dead in the eye and getting right into her face. "Either you're doing this with us, or none of us are doing this, got it?"

"That's enough," Blues said as he grabbed Zirco's wrist, "I'm not threatening anyone into service, and I won't let you do it either,"

"Let go of me, rich boy!" Zirco hissed as he yanked his arm out of Blues' grip. "It's your own damn fault we're in this hellhole in the first place!" Blues froze up, and the next thing Zirco knew, Blues had punched him across the face, causing the taller man to stumble back. "What the--- you bastard...,"

"Don't," Blues' voice became as hard as steel as he glared at Zirco. "Don't you dare insinuate that what happened to you is my fault. The sins of the fathers don't fall on me,"

"Says the asshole trying to make us into some sort of superhero hit squad!" Zirco snapped back.

"I only came to you because there's no one left," Blues snapped right back twice as hard. "The original Signers, the real ones, are missing. Yes, a lot of them are old, but they haven't lost their edge. But they're gone, and even their families don't know where they are. The duel champion, Kyouji, is busying looking for Jack Atlas. Dread Knight won't even join, saying that only Hearthome was his responsibility. If you thought for one second this is my fault, you're a bigger dumbass than the reports make you out to be!"

With that, Zirco struck, hitting Blues with a massive uppercut that caught the CEO under the chin and sent him flying back, landing on his back as his sunglasses fell off his face and clattered away. Yamada went to restrain Zirco, but Mr. E held out a hand, blocking her way. The fake Signer pounced, landing on top of Blues and cocking back his fist, ready to slam it down on the rich boy's face before he suddenly froze. A few tense seconds passed as Zirco seemed to be processing some information, information his body was blocking the others from seeing. Finally, he just stood up off of Blues, walking over to where the sunglasses landed. He picked them up, dusting them off and walking over to Blues, plopping them on his face. He then helped the CEO up, looking away and letting go of his hand the second Blues was stable.

"I'm sorry," Zirco muttered.

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to," was the simple reply.

"I don't think any different of her," Zirco muttered as he headed back to his seat. Blues simply dusted himself off and stood back in front of the group like nothing happened.

"Now, most of you gave me your answers, but I will reiterate and make clear what these terms are," Blues said. "If you choose to stay, you'll have six months to save the world. At the end of the six months, no matter what happens, you're free to go. If the world isn't saved, one million dollars and the benefits I stated before will be yours. If you do, however, well, a billion wouldn't be enough to properly thank you," he picked up the jetpack, strapping it back to his back. "Mr. E will show you around. For those that didn't answer, I'll have your final answers tomorrow," He said as the jetpack powered up and sent him back up the same way he entered.

Mr. E simply cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. "Well, with that, let's get the tour started, shall we?"

After everyone was ready to go, Mr. E headed, to the right, walking down the hallway. He was talking about what seemed like a bunch of nothing, but being cheerful as he did. After a few minutes of walking, he showed them their first destination. It was a large garage, and those with D-Wheels would see their machines were already here, parked nicely, and, shockingly, much cleaner than usual, to the point they were sparkling. The reason why was obvious to, as there was a blond young man sitting by one of the D-Wheels, waxing it and putting a lot of passion behind it.

Mr. E cleared his throat, causing the boy to look up. "Oh, you guys are here!" with a large grin, the new guy walked over, wiping his hands on a cloth. "Wazzup? Welcome to The Signer Haven's garage. I'm Gil, and I'm---," He suddenly struck a pose, raising his hand to his face. "The one that fixes and improves your D-Wheels, the mighty mechanic!" With a smile, he continued. "If you need your D-Wheel fixed, or have an improvement you need installed, feel free to ask me," He dropped his pose and looked further down the garage. "That path leads to the race tracks. We got two, a standard oval track, and a track with a lot of sharp turns and other obstacles. If you wanna race, feel free to, just try to not drive out there too late at night, yeah?"

The group then headed back towards where they had the meeting, and this time around, they noticed in the far back, there seemed to be a cafeteria. Standing behind the counter was a tall man with black hair, one that towered over all of them. He was currently cutting vegetables with what seemed to be a katana. He, unlike Gil, noticed them approaching and greeted them as they drew close.

"Hello, my name is Barbatos," He said, his voice deep and gravelly. "I'm the cook. You can make your own food if I'm not here, but I would like it if you asked me to make your meals. It's my job, you know?" He still cut the vegetables, somehow not having issues despite how long the blade was. A nice smell was starting to fill the air, and he quickly turned his attention to a pot that was beginning to boil.

Heading to the left, they soon came across to a new room, and this one looked to be a gym, filled with weights, and a track to run across. In the far corner, separated by glass, was a swimming pool. "This gym is to help keep you all healthy," Mr. E explained. "And if you wanna swim, the locker room comes with swimming clothes that should match your measurements," He said as he pointed to two doors, one for females and one for males. "This will probably be where I'll be today though, so if you don't like me, I suggest you avoid it,"

Heading back to the meeting room, the group was lead up a set of stairs to the upper floors. When they reached the top, they saw the hallway split to the left and right, with a door right in front of them. "So, your rooms are to the left and to the right," Mr. E explained. "Because we didn't want to stick you in cells, the rooms were heavily remodeled, but that also took a lot of space. You all are gonna have to pair up. 2 a room," He smiled as he spread his arms out. "You're all smart, you know that with the eleven of you, there will be an odd person out. Don't worry about it. I will sleep with that person! So don't worry about feeling lonely!"

He then lead them to the door in front of them, opening it up to reveal a large library. There were rows of books, lined up to the ceiling, with a few sets of tables and beanbag chairs to relax at and read. Across the room, there was a large TV, with what looked like several video games attached to it.

Three people were already in a room, all gathered around a laptop with several books surrounding them, one being male and the other two being female. Behind them was a big board, covered in papers and yarn, all intersecting and making a large convoluted web. The three seemed deep into their research, so Mr. E spun his wand, the piece of wood lengthening and growing thicker, until it was a large staff covered in vines and white flowers. He then tapped it on the ground, causing the three to look up.

The male was the first to react, redhead standing up and approaching the group. "I see you all made it. I hope Mr. E didn't traumatize you all too much," He smiled as he looked over the group. "I'm Damian, the middle child. I assume you met my older and younger brothers Barbatos and Gil," He motioned for the two girls to come forward, which the two complied with.

The older girl stepped forward first, her blond hair swaying in the nonexistent wind. "Hello! I'm Mango. Yes, I know, my parents were odd. I'm Damian's assistant,"

The brown haired girl approached next, bowing politely to them. "And I am Val, Mr. E's assistant. Or at least, I try to be. If only he wouldn't keep running off to do his own thing," She commented as she gave him the evil eye, causing Mr. E to laugh.

"Yes, yes, thank you for taking care of me," He said, patting Val's head. He turned to the group of Signers, smiling wide. "And these fine folks are our researchers. We run everything we learn by them, and they're trying to see if they can't pinpoint our little blood ritualists," He then paused and looked over to the three. "You don't think the villains we're going against are Ritual users, do you?"

"Already thought of that, sir," Damian commented. "So far, no results,"

"Ah, well, that's too bad," Mr. E then turned his attention back to the group. "Well, that's the whole tour. Breakfast should be ready in...," He stared at his staff, as if it would tell him the answer. "Two hours," He finally stated with confidence. "Feel free to do whatever while you wait! if you need me, I'm going to the pool!" He then walked off, pulling out a book and reading it. 

After a whole tour of being silent, Zicro finally spoke up. "You think we should draw straws to see who has to sleep with him?"

OOC

Spoiler

So, just react to the tour. If you want to talk to someone while you were in the same room with them, DM me and I'll help you write it out.

Edited by Saiku

Hypatia

"Oh the horror of rooming with Mr. E! Who ever could endure such a cursed fate?!" Hypatia went into a death drop as she said this, one hand over her face as if hiding it from the cruel light of the world... She sprung back up just as quickly. "No, I'm kidding. I don't actually care, but the way I figure it he's going with one of the dudes. So, if anything, you Jet and Raijin will be drawing straws." She had already begun to leave the room by the time she finished talking, not waiting for Zirco's response.

---

She walked out of the locker room wearing the black dress shirt from her ensemble and a similarly black pair of swim trunks. True to his word, Mr. E floated carefree in the pool. Damn, what would it take for her to be that relaxed? He looked up as she approached as if he might say something to her.

"Hello. Don't talk to me - I'm just here to swim." She cut him off before letting herself fall into the water. She didn't really want to talk about her memories or project crimson or what happened during the experiments right now. The day had been much too long already, honestly, and she didn't even really care to think about those things. So Hypatia just floated in the water on her back, doing her best to try to relax and just sort of not exist at all.

Zirco's outburst shouldn't have surprised Leiko, but it did. His surprise, his indignation at her newer status in the Project he had shown earlier, was now out in full force as he shouted at her, the girl feeling no ability to shout back. She felt mounting guilt as he yelled at her about the conditions he had suffered. They sounded a lot like hers, but thirteen years... Leiko felt herself wilt before his anger, unable to meet his eyes at all as he got right in her face, demanding that she stay with them. How could she do that NOW, she felt herself thinking trepidatiously. Now that it was so clear how much he hated her, resented her; How much everyone here probably did as well?

It was then that Blues intervened, and it got physical. Leiko gasped with surprise as Zirco and Blues started hitting each other, finding herself stumbling backwards, away from the two. The anger in both of them scared the hell out of her. She almost fell as she walked back, but a strong hand intercepted, pushing her back forward gently. Leiko looked back to see Morodate looking down at her expectantly. She shuddered, stepping back towards the center of the room again, wanting suddenly to get away from the man. 

She looked back, seeing the two had stopped fighting. She took a deep, rattling breath, knowing this was her fault. Her fault for being in this experiment, for giving her handler even the smallest hope that she would be up to snuff.

"I don't think any different of her."

Leiko cringed, feeling another pang of guilt and inadequacy. He shouldn't, either, should he? she felt herself thinking.

She was quiet over the course of the tour, only raising her head for the briefest of acknowledgements of the various people they came across. She lingered very slightly in the garage, looking at the D-Wheel that she had been maintaining for six months. It looked better than she had ever made it. She hung her head, rejoining the rest of the group.

Blues' last words hung in her head. He expected a decision from her by the next day. What choice did she even have? She couldn't save the world, the man was out of his mind. She doubted anyone would be mad if she left... Only Zirco seemed angry at the idea. Why should he? She was a liability. She was just going to slow him down. Slow them all down.

The only thing that attracted her interest as they went through the rest of the facility was the large web of papers on the wall when they met the last three members of this place. She drifted her eyes over it, recognizing dimly several newspaper headlines from hr time before the Project. That was right, she thought. She had probably heard of some of these disappearances, things the others wouldn't have in their apparent years as subjects. 

It was then she was faced with the prospect of choosing someone to room with. For the night, she reminded herself. It was only one night... Yet even the thought of staying in the same room as Mr E made her severely uncomfortable, shuddering as she drifted through the group meekly, before reaching the one she was remotely sure of speaking to.

"Tora?" It was the first time she'd spoken since the meeting, and the smallness of her own voice startled even her for a moment. "Could... Could I stay with you, for the evening? It would only be one, you'd have it to yourself after tomorrow." She tried to speak quietly, but she felt like her words were deafening, drifting through the air over towards Zirco. Ready to trigger another explosion. She tensed herself up, waiting for it, dreading it.

Shannon had listened to her new family as they went, making notes for each mentally.

Kiyoko was altruistic and eager, much like herself, but she seemed to not realize that the others needed swaying. Still, it was nice to have someone with the same drive around.

Octavia, who seemed rather plain, surprised her. She didn't expect the girl's motivations... or that she would be scolded like that. Interesting.

The spirit girl, Hotaru, who chose not to speak up. How... passive.

Natsumi, who it seemed had a spirit of her own, but otherwise blended in. The worm also made Shannon's skin crawl ever so slightly.

Jet... seemed like he needed some help. A lot of it. She would make sure to guide and aid him, as he required.

Hypatia was an amnesiac. With a flair for the dramatic. Shannon cast a glance to her deck before she continued watching the group.

Tora was... normal, really. She didn't stand out, other than raising her voice, and she wasn't plain like Octavia... but she still felt resoundingly normal.

Raijin, who had seemed so snippy, quickly followed Tora's remarks. Shannon couldn't help but let out a small giggle at that.

Leiko spoke again... And the girl had no confidence at all. Or knowledge. She would be a challenge. But, like Jet, it was her job to take care of this girl.

And, Zirco brought up the rear. By far the most boorish of the group, Shannon could only sigh as he turned the event into a physical altercation. He was probably the biggest problem child they would have. She opened her mouth to tell him to knock it off, but the scene was over before she even could, with Mr. E whisking them away. Well, it was for the best. A leader shouldn't be harsh too early.

-----

Shannon had followed along with the tour happily, simply observing their new home. Despite being a prison, it seemed as if it was an upgrade from her old facilities, even without the staff. And, to each and every one, she had introduced herself the same, likely to the chagrin of her teammates.

"I am Shannon Almaz, the leader of our little group. It's a pleasure to meet you."

And with that out of the way, Mr. E had gone off to go swimming. Curious, but the man was nothing if not capricious. Instead, Shannon directed her attention to her only teammate who spoke up to her in a civil manner.

"Your name was Octavia, correct?" She smiled softly, "I was planning to go claim a room before anything else... And I would like you to be my roommate. Is that quite alright?"

She had started to go into a daze. Her eyes glazed over. Her arms limp. Her breath slowed so much it was hard to tell she was even breathing. She vaguely could hear the voices of people. She could tell they were for the most part agreeing to go along with it. There was a brief interruption, as that one guy, who had the near twin to her mark, raised his voice again.

Something about thirteen years.

Had it been that long for her?

She couldn't really remember. It has been a while. Did the length matter? It happened to them all one way or another.

And then they were moving. She only realized this as Dragonecro moved so that his head was under Hotaru's, dangling over her head and, to those who could see him, totally obscuring her upper half. "C'mon up and at em droopy. We're gonna check out the new digs, ya dig?" He smirked at her and her mouth twitched in turn.

Nearly falling off her chair and dragging her body upwards the girl shuffled off and followed Mr E out, unwittingly standing near the front of the pack, and tried to at least memorize the places they were going.

It was hard. She was used to having to deal with a single room. Only moving to different ones when Tsukiko or one of the scientists came to get her. This having options thing almost overwhelmed her.

A garage. Didn't mean anything to her. That was one less thing to worry about. "Buncha grease monkeys and rust buckets." Dragonecro said.

Kitchen. Did that mean she had to pick her own food now? "I wouldn't trust that dude to boil water." Was Dragonecro's contribution.

A pool. Water was nice. But could she swim? She hadn't done that in so long that she couldn't remember if she ever did. "I hope he drowns." Dragonecro responded and it took Hotaru a moment to realize Mr E had told them he'd be swimming.

Rooms. Oh. That meant roommates. "If our roommate has a spirit with them they won't for long." Dragonecro mentioned hungrily.

And...a library. Usually this would be a good place for her. Only there were more people here than what was usually expected. "Suppose scientists would be a buncha nerds." Dragonecro's rationalization almost made her smile a bit.

Then they were left to their own devices. Hotaru's eyes widened a bit when she realized that for the first time in a long time she had to figure out what to do with herself. Before she could get too far into trying and decide where to sit down Zirco once again broke the silence. "You think we should draw straws to see who has to sleep with him?"

Dragonecro explained to Hotaru that he meant Mr E. Hotaru shrugged. "I don't care who I'm with." One person is as bad as another. She heard Dragonecro's growl and, instinctively, responded to him. "I know, you don't like some of them." Then she froze up. Looking towards the ground she shuffled a bit away from the group. "Never mind that." She mumbled.

msc0pXW.jpg

iU8EggM.png

Jet sat there, a bit startled at what Zirco did, apparently assaulting the CEO. Someone who had the gall to stand up to someone that influential in these cities...without even batting an eye. That did impress the young man a great deal. But hearing that Blues practically told them outright that he wasn't to blame for anything that happened to them. While he wasn't wrong, Jet supposed it was just because of one thing: the family name...guilty by association.

"I only came to you because there's no one left! The original Signers, the real ones, are missing. Yes, a lot of them are old, but they haven't lost their edge. But they're gone, and even their families don't know where they are. The duel champion, Kyouji, is busying looking for Jack Atlas. Dread Knight won't even join, saying that only Hearthome was his responsibility. If you thought for one second this is my fault, you're a bigger dumbass than the reports make you out to be!"

...S-So...we're basically...t-the bottom of the b-barrel...? he thought, basically thinking that's what Blues meant. Nevertheless, the Signers were all gone and the Duel Champion Kyouji wasn't able to help out because he was looking for his mentor. Meanwhile, Hearthome's vigilante was...well...vigilanting...so he was useless at this point. So that really did leave them... I-Is everyone screwed...t-t-then?

"Now, most of you gave me your answers, but I will reiterate and make clear what these terms are. If you choose to stay, you'll have six months to save the world. At the end of the six months, no matter what happens, you're free to go. If the world isn't saved, one million dollars and the benefits I stated before will be yours. If you do, however, well, a billion wouldn't be enough to properly thank you. Mr. E will show you around. For those that didn't answer, I'll have your final answers tomorrow."

With that, Blues Kaiba jetted off just as quickly as he came. So now he was forced, namely by Akihiro clearing his throat, glaring at him, and motioning for him to follow Mr. E and the others. It seemed like a nice facility, given that it was once a prison...but still, it was nice. A garage, pool and gym, a fully functioning and stocked kitchen, and a library. The garage, run by Gil, seemed like some place he'd probably be at a lot...if only just to possibly get on his D-Wheel and ride around to get a chance to clear his head and thoughts... That was, provided that Gil and the others were actually cool with that.

H-Hopefully...t-t-they aren't like D-Dr. Akihiro...and get pissed about that... he thought, rubbing his arm slightly. Well, maybe he'd have to ask real quick. When most everyone else left the garage, he approached Gil, clearing his throat. "E-Excuse me...G-Gil was it...?"

"That's my name. What's yours?"

"J-Jet...Jet Hoshimi... I had a question for you...would...would you or a-anyone else here...m-management wise...get pissed if I-I took my D-Wheel out for a bit of a d-drive every once in a while...?"

"What? Hell no, man. You wanna take it for a spin now? I just finished fine tuning and cleanin' it,'

"O-Okay...um, m-maybe a bit later...k-kind of got to follow the group. T-Thank you." Jet said, bowing slightly, before turning around and trying to make it back to the others. This...this actually did make him feel a bit better.

iU8EggM.png

"You think we should draw straws to see who has to sleep with him?"

"Oh the horror of rooming with Mr. E! Who ever could endure such a cursed fate?! No, I'm kidding. I don't actually care, but the way I figure it he's going with one of the dudes. So, if anything, you Jet and Raijin will be drawing straws."

Jet began to shrink back when Hypatia mentioned him along with Zirco and Raijin in regards to possibly getting stuck with Mr. E. Not only that, the prospect of getting a roommate didn't bring too much joy to the young man anyway. It just made him think of the days back at the orphanage...and that wasn't too grand for him either. He'd prefer just staying in his own room away from everyone else...but he felt like that wasn't going to happen...like at all.

Octavia
»»————- ♡ ————-««

The fact that Kaiba was willing to hear her out about Hearthome... That was surprising. She had expected it to be a much harder sale considering that he had already offered them a rather generous reward for agreeing. Even stranger was the fact that he seemed willing to entertain the notion of a billion each, which Octavia wouldn't have expected in her wildest dreams. Shannon's terrible gambit paid off this time, it seemed. As people stepped forward, expressing that they were either willing to go along with the plan for one reason or another, Octavia sort of just... Checked out. Her hand had slipped into her hoodie to pull out the box of cards she held, idly twisting the box around in her hand in circles as she took a deep breath and tried to relax. The strange situation definitely wasn't optimal, it wasn't going to be fun most likely, but... The reward was more than worth it. She couldn't see the logic behind not caring about the reward, but the sentiment was probably enough for those people. On the other hand, the other girl who had mentioned Hearthome was surprising to her. She smiled slightly at the nod being given to her, a relieved sigh escaping her as she relaxed back into her seat.

Right up until the last girl. It was strange that they were all accepting it, it didn't surprise her that one of them didn't feel up to the task. Hell, if she had anywhere else to go for sure, she wasn't sure she would stick with it herself...

"What the...?!"

Octavia scowled as Zirco jumped and started to pull off his clothing, her face scrunching up a little bit as she mumbled under her breath. Even if he had a point, even if he was right about Leiko wanting to leave despite others willing to stick with it having gone through worse, his behavior was not a good sign for the future if they were going to have to work together. If she felt like she couldn't handle it... Was it worth having her stick around?  Octavia wasn't about to jump up and get between the two of them though, no way. He seemed like he was more than angry enough to lash out at anyone who tried to interfere there...

And with Kaiba attempting to intervene, she was definitely glad she didn't. The ensuing fight was fast, and before she knew it... The argument was over. Zirco stood up and even apologized, and thanks to his back being to the group, she wasn't even able to see what had caused it. Her face scrunched up in thought as she shook her head lightly, with Kaiba seeing fit to finally leave in the same outrageous manner he had arrived in, the group was left rather... Sullen, for the most part. It didn't seem like they were particularly optimistic at the moment, between the infighting and the bad news about the previous Signers... All they could do was prepare for the tour that Mr. E had prepared for them, a little sigh escaping Octavia as she stood up. It was time to get a look at her new home...

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Mr. E never stopped talking. At first it was a little irritating, but as time went on, it seemed to just become... Background noise. He was cheerful enough that she didn't get annoyed with his attitude and she wasn't quite able to keep up with what he was talking about. It wasn't that she was trying to ignore it, it's just that the tour was distracting her a little bit. Their first stop was some weird garage thing. Octavia had never really gotten the appeal of these D-Wheel's, it seemed like it was far too easy to just crash and burn if you were trying to drive and play a card game at the same time. It was entirely possible that she might get forced onto one of these at some point, and that thought... Scared her more than a little bit. She could respect the devices as creations, but...

"Oh, you guys are here!"

She hadn't even noticed the man who was working a little further down. He was probably the one who had fixed up the other's D-Wheels... She checked out of the coming conversation relatively early, after all she would probably never be on one of those machines. That was certainly her hope, at least.

The next stop was much more interesting! The kitchen, home of good smells and hopefully equally good food! Given the choice between eating bland food like what she was given at the last establishment and trusting this new, strange man who claimed to be the cook, she would take him by a long shot...

Barbatos. That was his name, huh? She leaned up against the counter as her eyes widened from him cutting the vegetables with the sword... Those looked fresh. She was so tempted to just try and snag a little bite before the tour continued... But that sword was definitely enough of a deterrent that she instead tore herself from the wonderful smelling room to continue the tour... But she was definitely going to have to make a few stops in here when the cookman was less busy. She had things to ask and food to eat...

A gym. And a swimming pool. She had never been extremely interested in the swimming part of things, but keeping in shape was probably a good idea. She would probably stick more to the gym side of things, but the occasional swim was never a bad thing, right? 

"This will probably be where I'll be today though, so if you don't like me, I suggest you avoid it."

Maybe today she skips out on the swimming though. He might not be the worst person to be around, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to risk being on his radar too much just yet. However, she wasn't sure she wanted to be on anyone's radar in all fairness.

»»————- ♡ ————-««

The final stop on the tour was taking them up a flight of stairs. The floor split into two directions, a little sigh escaping Octavia as she rubbed at her neck briefly.

"So, your rooms are to the left and to the right. Because we didn't want to stick you in cells, the rooms were heavily remodeled, but that also took a lot of space. You all are gonna have to pair up. 2 a room,"

There was the catch. Of course she would have to share a room with someone, now she had to be thinking about that while she had the chance. There were the two panicky girls, Tora and Leiko... The other girl who was concerned about Hearthome was definitely an option, there was a common ground there, maybe that was her best choice. She was about to scoot over to say something to Natsumi, but before she could, Mr. E had thrown open the door in front of them and they were guided into the room. The massive library sprawled out in front of them... And a pang of nostalgia hit Octavia for a brief moment. Something about all the books just seemed to cause her to flinch as a hand reached up to rub at her eyes for a moment, then she collected herself. The rest of the room was equally outstanding, the fact they had access to that TV at their own whims wasn't something she would've expected back at her own isolated chambers back at the lab.

The scientists that introduced themselves seemed pleasant enough. Octavia smiled to them as they each introduced themselves and their roles, nodding her head to them as she took a deep breath, "It's a pleasure to meet you all, I'm Octavia Hayes. Uh..." She rubbed at her neck, clearly out of introductions before starting to slink away. Mr. E had promptly announced dinner in two hours... And then disappeared off to the pool. 

"No, I'm kidding. I don't actually care, but the way I figure it he's going with one of the dudes. So, if anything, you Jet and Raijin will be drawing straws."

A small laugh escaped Octavia at that, a little smile creeping across her face as she nodded, "...I think she's right. You three might have to fight for that honor, I don't know what the rules are concerning boys and girls rooming together are here and honestly? I'm not in a rush to find out. We've got a decent enough split to make sure we don't have to."

She wasn't sure how much more she was going to say in regards to that, but she wasn't really given the time to think about it ultimately. She didn't quite register it but before she knew it, she was approached by easily the... Oddest of their little group. "Your name was Octavia, correct? I was planning to go claim a room before anything else... And I would like you to be my roommate. Is that quite alright?"

Oh she had made a big mistake. She hadn't been proactive enough this time, and now she was paying the price. She couldn't turn down the strange girl unless she wanted to risk setting her off, the weird ones always have some crazy temper underneath them... So Octavia shrugged her shoulders, giving a brief nod as she did, "Yep, Octavia. And you were Shannon, right? I can room with you, sure! I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to be doing right now, so... No harm in getting set up in a room before I decide. I don't have my things with me, I suppose my old handler will bring some of it later..." 

Tora Mori

"But of course. Welcome aboard," Blues said with a smile. That was it? Was it really that easy?

"Now, please dear, sit down for a bit. You look like you're going to pass out," Mr. E added, smiling gently. Tora nodded, stepping backward steadily and taking her seat again, practically collapsing on the chair. The others went one by one, announcing their intention of joining, until finally it came down to... Zirco, his name? As would be expected with his degree of anger, he exchanged a few blows with Blues Kaiba. There was a moment of silence before Zirco helped the CEO back to his feet and returned to his own chair. The terms for their "employment" were laid down, and it wasn't long until Mr. E was leading them on a tour of the facility.

The first stop was simple: a large, sprawling garage filled with D-Wheels, parts, tools, and equipment. Most of the other signers had a look of disinterest to them, but Tora's eyes completely shone with a light of newfound energy. There weren't many people in there, besides one blonde, young man working on one of the D-Wheels. Mr. E cleared his throat, causing the boy to look up.

"Oh, you guys are here!" with a large grin, the new guy walked over, wiping his hands on a cloth. "Wazzup? Welcome to The Signer Haven's garage. I'm Gil, and I'm---," He suddenly struck a pose, raising his hand to his face. "The one that fixes and improves your D-Wheels, the mighty mechanic!" With a smile, he continued. "If you need your D-Wheel fixed, or have an improvement you need installed, feel free to ask me," He dropped his pose and looked further down the garage. "That path leads to the race tracks. We got two, a standard oval track, and a track with a lot of sharp turns and other obstacles. If you wanna race, feel free to, just try to not drive out there too late at night, yeah?"

One of the other signers began to exchange a few words with the mechanic while Tora flitted between the D-Wheels and examined the workspace very closely. However, once they stopped talking Tora's voice could be heard shouting, her words echoing sharply in the open space.

"Hey!" She shouted, standing next to a sleek and clean, but rather simple D-Wheel. "I swear to god, if you touched the Crosswhip at ALL I WILL kill you!"

"Hey! All I did was tune it up a bit and get it all clean! You can relax, this old hunk of j--" The glare Tora gave Gil could stop even Blues in his tracks. "Th-this uhh... fine piece of machinery should work good as new now!"

The tour, however, was already beginning to move on. "I'll be back, and I'll be the judge of that!"

After the garage they went their way through the rest of the facility, seeing the gym, the kitchen, and finally meeting the researchers they would be working with. The entire time Tora's mind was fixed on the garage, and was more than ready to head back there and spend the rest of the day tinkering.

However, the first order of business was deciding who was going to sleep where. Zirco proposed drawing straws to see who would have to share a room with Mr. E, but the thought of that alone was making Tora's skin crawl. Unfortunately, she was never good with this whole "split up into pairs" action, and found herself standing nervously as others were grouping up.

"Tora?" Tora felt her heart sing as she was saved from this situation, and she turned to the direction of the small voice to see Leiko. "Could... Could I stay with you, for the evening? It would only be one, you'd have it to yourself after tomorrow."

"Yes! Please! Thank you!" Tora said with a huge sigh of relief. "And if you end up joining you can stay with me, no problem!"

Jb1k7yv.png?1

As the group was moving through the facility, Kiyoko was kept mostly to herself, not sure what to make of her current signer group. Though most of them seemed willing to go along with the idea, she couldn't really get any hesitation that they were feeling. No matter how long they had been tested on for and no matter what kind of rigors they had been put through, this was what their lives had lead up to, and it only made sense that now that what they were meant to do was upon them, they would do it. As such, she could somewhat understand Zirco's anger towards Leiko, as she herself was upset with the girls lack of conviction towards taking their mission up, especially when she had managed to finish her branding so quickly. That being said, she didn't think the explosiveness of the man's temper was quite warranted and she wasn't quite sure how motivated he even was. 

Her thoughts did not simmer for long, though, as the group was taken on a tour of the facilities. She was glad to see that her D-Wheel was already here and was in good hands, as it had already seen many rough days in practice already and, though much to Kiyoko's hope would not, see many more. Before they left, she gave the Tora girl a confused look, not sure what to actually make of her, but went on with the rest of the tour. Next was the kitchen, a place that Kiyoko had not seen in many years, watching a man with a large blade chopping up the food there. She marveled at it, both at the unfamiliar sight of the room and the man's weapon. She had only ever seen meals prepared by her caretakers at the orphanage a few times, but she remembered the blades there being much smaller. So perhaps this was a more advanced technique?

Next was the gym, a place that the young blonde was very familiar with. In her own holding area there was a workout room of sorts, though not nearly to the same level as this place, and was a place that Kiyoko had gone to many days of the week during her testing period. As such, she was curious to use this area herself, but they were soon moved away to a research facility of sorts, where a trio of people seemed to be busy with something. She was glad to learn that they were probably the three that also knew the most about their job, and thus she was likely to come back and meet with them later. After that, the group moved over to their final place, which was to say back where they started, with Mr. E having left and the decision of who was rooming with who being upon them. As things stood, there were only four people who had actually paired off, with a few others  having expressed their apathy towards about where they actually went. 

Kiyoko simply nodded at Hotaru's comment, thinking it was obvious that Zirco just wanted to draw straws as he clearly didn't like everyone here, though she couldn't help but have a similar feeling herself. Looking to the others, the girl merely said, "I don't particularly care who I room with either. But, we need to figure something out. so let's just draw straws to see who rooms with who once the rest of you figure out if you want someone or not." 

4ys06lN.png

Composure, Natsumi. Be better than them.The two sentences played over and over in Natsumi's head, as this signer and that one and the other all freaked out for various reasons. Unwilling to go along with the project? Frankly, Natsumi thought the ones with that type of sentiment were simply in over their head. This experiment wasn't Blues's fault of course, but it was all they had left. Without the years spent honing them, crafting them into a "superhero squad" as Zirco had so very elegantly put it, there were significant lengths of time in everyone's lives where there was simply nothing.

Except for Leiko, apparently.

"Now, most of you gave me your answers, but I will reiterate and make clear what these terms are. If you choose to stay, you'll have six months to save the world. At the end of the six months, no matter what happens, you're free to go. If the world isn't saved, one million dollars and the benefits I stated before will be yours. If you do, however, well, a billion wouldn't be enough to properly thank you,"

And with that, the tour began.

And then it was over. This place was awfully well-equipped, especially for a former prison. Which made sense, given the purpose of everyone that had been gathered here. The real question was who would have to share a room with Mr. E.

"Oh the horror of rooming with Mr. E! Who ever could endure such a cursed fate?! No, I'm kidding. I don't actually care, but the way I figure it he's going with one of the dudes. So, if anything, you Jet and Raijin will be drawing straws."

"I don't particularly care who I room with either. But, we need to figure something out. so let's just draw straws to see who rooms with who once the rest of you figure out if you want someone or not." 

"I'd like to select my roommate. As a matter of fact, I'd like to share a room with you specifically," Natsumi replied, nodding her head toward Kiyoko. Ideally, Natsumi would have shared a room with Octavia instead, but it seemed someone else had already claimed her as a roomie. Out of the remainder, Kiyoko seemed to be the least crazy, and if she couldn't bunk with someone that shared her interest in restoring Hearthome, she'd settle for whoever would make for a peaceful stay at this facility.

YxoyLXy.png

Raijin rolled his eyes as Zirco pounced onto Blues, not budging from his seat. First that Kiyoko chick denying the money, and now this. He was surrounded by morons, each with their own flavor of idiocy. After that little tussle, however, everyone seemed to be on board for the plan, and a tour of the place was about to start. Slowly, Raijin tossed himself off of the chair, and followed the group.

They made stops in a few places. Some sort of garage, the kitchen, a pool. None of it was what Raijin cared about. Eventually, they hit the important place - the rooms. He let out a loud yawn as they made their way towards some other workers. "You think we should draw straws to see who has to sleep with him?" Raijin was a bit shocked as to how rational Zirco was going about this. He personally didn't care who he bunked with, although he definitely was in no rush to room up with Mr. E. Raijin turned as the other girls seemed to say that not only would the guys be stuck pulling straws for Mr. E, but some of them were even pairing up willingly.

Raijin sheepishly shrugged. "Straws seem good to me." He said, stepping forward. "Hell, at this point we might as well draw names out of a hat or some shit for those that aren't looking for specific people." He let out another yawn. "We should hurry it up though. I want to hit the hay as soon as possible."

"Hello. Don't talk to me - I'm just here to swim."

Mr. E didn't say anything, deciding to stay on his flotation device and reading his book. It seemed he was really focused on what he was reading, whatever it was.

"Could... Could I stay with you, for the evening? It would only be one, you'd have it to yourself after tomorrow." Leiko asked the mechanic Tora, causing Zirco to grit his teeth. He couldn't believe the gall that woman had. She was a real brave coward, that was for sure.

“Okay, you know what, no,” he growled, moving quickly until he was close to Leiko. “If words won't get to ya, then there's only one way to go about this,” he raised his hand over his head, fist clenched tight… before he slammed it forward and pointed directly at her. “You got a D-Wheel, right? Then get your ass to that race track, because I'm dueling you right now!”

Leiko balked as Zirco got in her face, eyes widening slightly as she tried to remain calm. She had known he would be mad. “What… Duel? What… What good would that do?” She was at a loss for words at this point… Why was he so insistent? It wasn’t like she was going to be helpful at all, why would he want her around?

“What good would it do? Use your head! You call yourself bad, but we've seen no proof of it! For all we know, you're just acting like you're bad so you can just skip out on us!” He snapped, getting even closer to her face. “And I ain't letting you go until I can determine how good or bad you are. Got it?”

Leiko found herself turning her face away, looking guilty. “I… Zirco, I’m sorry, I… I’m not trying to-”

“It’s fine, Leiko.” The two looked up, surprised, to see Leiko’s handler walking down the hallway towards the pair calmly, face impassive. “I know what you’re thinking. He’s not like the AI programs we trained you on… I know you want an actual challenge, and you’re wrong about his ability to give it." The wires in Leiko’s brain crossed at this statement. What the hell was he talking about? Zirco's eyes widened as he slowly turned his head to look at Leiko, fury burning in his eyes.

“Oh, so that's what it is. You don't think you're too bad to work with us… you think you're too good for us!!” He straightened up, his teeth holding back a growl. “D-Wheel. Now. I'm going to show you that you shouldn't look down on your seniors, Ms. Less Than a Year,”

Leiko whipped her head towards Morodate, realizing what was happening with horror. “Morodate!” she cried, dismayed as he stood there, smiling at her pleasantly like she was a child who had done something silly.

“You should have more faith in a fellow member of the Project, Leiko,” he said simply. He looked idly off towards the array of newspaper clippings, casually running a hand over a connecting piece of yarn. “Who knows, maybe he’s capable of the same power you are?”

Zirco turned to walk away, hands in his pockets. “You better be at the track in less than ten minutes. Otherwise… I'll drag you down there myself,” he let the threat linger in the air for a second before storming off.

Damien looked up from his spot as Zirco stormed off. "So... um... if you all wanna draw straws, well, I can stand in for Zirco...,"

OOC

Spoiler

Well, you all have a whole facility to explore and two hours to do it! If you need to talk to an NPC, please DM me and we'll work it out. I mean it. I wanna establish these guys' personalities before you all play around.

"Yep, Octavia. And you were Shannon, right? I can room with you, sure! I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to be doing right now, so... No harm in getting set up in a room before I decide. I don't have my things with me, I suppose my old handler will bring some of it later..." 

"Then it's settled! We should go and find which room we'll be staying in together right away."

At least, that was the plan. However, something more pressing came up for the fledgling leader to handle. Zirco was barking at Leiko once again, and that just wouldn't do. Leiko was vulnerable, and Zirco was just proving how much of a problem he was going to be. Plus, that Morodate... had none of Leiko's interests at heart. Nothing like James or the staff. As Zirco stormed off, Shannon cleared her throat, turning to Leiko with a look of worry, gently placing a hand on the girl's shoulder.

"It'll be alright. Just follow me down there. I'll take care of it."

Shannon gave Leiko a side hug before she walked out, headed toward the garage. She didn't want to make a show of force so soon, but she could not allow anyone to threaten the balance of their new family so soon.

-----

As Shannon entered the garage, she cast a glance at Zirco. She didn't have much of an expression on her face, in contrast to the confident yet serene smile she had worn almost the entire time since she had arrived at the Haven. Keeping enough of a distance, she opened her mouth.

"You said thirteen years? I've been in this project less than 4 years. You went in terrible conditions for 7 years? I had 3 months of it, and I had the run of the place after that. And, on top of all of that..."

Shannon shifted, her smile returning to her face, this time with a bit of teeth showing. She lifted her arm up, pulling her suit's right sleeve back to show her forearm, where the Head appeared, glowing faintly.

"I'm the one who is the designated leader. So, would you rather beat up on a meek girl who barely knows what's happening... Or on someone who simply surpassed you in every regard?"

Shannon laid it on thick, hoping to appeal to the boy's rage. It was better directed at her than Leiko, after all. That poor girl seemed to know nothing but fear. Disappointment. It was Shannon's duty to help her, and letting her crash and burn against Zirco wouldn't do. So she had to step in, even if it meant goading him. Turning away from Zirco, she looked at Gil and bowed slightly.

"Mr. Gil, is there a spare D-Wheel I can borrow?"

Everyone was choosing roommates. Hotaru didn't understand. What made these people who don't know each other decide to bother trying to room with a specific person? They knew nothing about the person, really, so why did it matter? She was content with just letting it play out and getting whoever was leftover.

Dragonecro wasn't so sure about that. If she ended up with that Mr. E, well, he didn't imagine that going well. He had to somehow convince her to choose one of these fools. But, who?

Hotaru didn't take part in Dragonecro's search. She didn't even realize what he was doing. She was just vaguely listening to everything that was going on. The most obvious being, of course, that man named Zirco. He was challenging another of them to a duel. "Go team." She muttered to herself. Already at odds with each other. Already at each other's throats. This right here was why she didn't bother getting involved. Not worth it.

Dragonecro had a different thought though. He watched as Zirco left and leaned down towards Hotaru. "He seems tough doesn't he?" Hotaru's eyes flicked over to the side. Unsure what he was getting at. "He might be able to handle...that."

Hotaru slowly blinked, mulling over what he had said, thinking about what it meant for her. Then she gave a sigh and nodded. She supposed that was as good a reason as any. And if Dragonecro thought it a good idea then she probably should do it.

She considered letting the other two know she was leaving but figured it didn't make much a difference. They'd notice or they wouldn't.

So she slunk off after Zirco silently. He had said something about a track. Meaning the garage. She wasn't sure which direction to go but thankfully Dragonecro had been listening and pointed her in the right direction.

By the time she got there, though, the loud girl was already talking to him. Challenging him in the other's place. Such a pointless thing...But it kept the girl from approaching Zirco. So she stood there. Awkwardly shifting. Watching Zirco from under her bangs.

Now she was there....what next?

Jb1k7yv.png?1

As Natsumi turned to her and requested that she be her roommate, Kiyoko simply shrugged and said, "alright then. That is fine." As the rest seemed mostly ambivalent about where they were going to room, much like herself, Zirco and Leiko soon had another spat with each other. Kiyoko shared the frustrations that Zirco had with the girl, and Kiyoko was still not entirely sure where all the hesitancy that Leiko had was coming from. All the same, as the two's conversation seemed to develop, it became evident that Zirco's challenge was changing from a test to simply a means to take out his frustration at her. This had irritated her, sure, and felt more like a form of bullying that she was reminded of. Yet, all the same, she was certain that someone being angry would be the least of the issues that they would have to deal with, and that as one of the signers it was Leiko's duty to solve her problems, not be protected from them. 

As such, Shannon's idea to handle the situation herself did not sit well with Kiyoko. Giving a stern look, her gaze drifted between the two of them as it settled on Leiko. With a stern voice she simply asked, "is this really ok?" Once they were gone, the girl turned back to the others, a strange feeling that she was missing something else as she looked between the rest of the group, and at Damien's own suggestion she followed with, "I'll also fill in for the other missing person. You two," she looked to Jet and Raijin, saying, "get over here." Looking back to Damien, still serious though with a hint of curiosity she asked, "so how does this work?" 

Zirco clicked his tongue as he looked over his D-Wheel. It was always a clunker, but he had to admit, this Gil really fixed up his bike. What was once a dull metal and rusted was fixed up and polished to a shining white. Green trimming was even added to it, giving it a futuristic sort of feel. Zirco had to take a moment to admire it before taking a seat on it. The padding on his seat was fixed up and everything. It was like it was a brand new bike.

"So, whatcha think?" Gil asked as he wiped grease from his hands. "Not a bad job, if I do say so myself,"

"I mean... this is more than 'not a bad job'. We might as well call this the Sun Blazer Mark II," Zirco admitted, his anger melting away into admiration. "You did all this in only a few hours?" Gil let out a laugh.

"I'm not a miracle worker," He said. "I actually had all your D Wheels since yesterday. Been working on them all day since then, ya know?" Zirco nodded. That made sense. He revved the engine as a test, it making a loud noise before quieting down to a quiet purr. Zirco grinned. This was the best he ever heard his D Wheel> Now there was no way he could---

"You said thirteen years? I've been in this project less than 4 years. You went in terrible conditions for 7 years? I had 3 months of it, and I had the run of the place after that. And, on top of all of that..." Zirco let out a groan. Was this woman, Shannon, going to be more trouble than it was worth? He turned over, to see what she was talking about. She was showing him her mark, the Head, grinning. "I'm the one who is the designated leader. So, would you rather beat up on a meek girl who barely knows what's happening... Or on someone who simply surpassed you in every regard?"

He knew what was going on here. She was trying to rile him up, get him to forgot Leiko. He didn't know why she was bothering trying to help someone who was trying to ditch them, but he figured it had something to do with the fact he was a loud angry man challenging a woman a foot smaller than him into a duel.

Yeah, that seemed right, actually. He'd probably do the same if it happened to anyone else.

"Mr. Gil, is there a spare D-Wheel I can borrow?"

"Don't bother," Zirco snapped. "I'm not going to duel you," He turned his head lazily to look at Shannon. "You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about my anger. While her being in the program for less than a year annoys the ever loving shit out of me, that's not something in her control. You know what is though? The decision to leave. Shockingly, the fact that despite being in the program for less than a year, she's just going to abandon the rest of us for her own convenience and ego pisses me off. Hell, you, for all your damn annoying squawking about being the leader are at least staying to fight with the rest of us," He leaned back in his D Wheel. "But hey, after I beat her, I'll be happy to duel you. I got a whole other set of issues with you,"

He did his best to tune out Shannon's answer, knowing it would either be anger or some more of her condescending nonsense, instead focusing on the duel ahead. Did Leiko deserved to be crushed under the absolute power of his Duel Dragon, or was she even worth that? He wasn't 100 percent sure yet...

He then noticed that the really gloomy one... um... damn, he couldn't remember her name, but she was standing there, looking awkward. He sat up, tilting his head. "Yo. Somethin' I can help ya with, or you just admiring the Sun Blazer Mark II?"

He hoped that didn't sound as snappy as he thought it did.