radio414

AMA: Radio Call-in Hour

Feel free not to answer if it's too personal or you simply don't want to go into it, but...

As my fellow they/X, I'm very curious about your experience, rather than mine, and would just like to listen to you explain a bit about yourself in that regard, so that I can expand my horizons a bit. What led to you being... you, i suppose?

16 hours ago, Blake said:

As my fellow they/X, I'm very curious about your experience, rather than mine, and would just like to listen to you explain a bit about yourself in that regard, so that I can expand my horizons a bit. What led to you being... you, i suppose?

I was first introduced to the concept of dual pronouns on a Desert Bus for Hope stream. It was Matt Griffiths who was like "I have a he/him pronoun pin and a they/them pronoun pin because I want the English language to be more gender-neutral in general," and I was like, "Oh, that's neat." I didn't really do anything about it until a few years later when I realized I was ace. Like a lot of people (or at least, a lot of people I see on the gsrm internet), realizing my sexuality got me thinking about gender, and the thought, "You know, I wouldn't mind being called 'they' on occasion."

Choosing he/they, though, was never really formalized. I never woke up one morning and was like, "I'm going to use he/they pronouns now." I mean, I guess eventually I bought some pronoun pins off Etsy, but even that wasn't a big deal in my "real life" life. Honestly, I wore the pronoun pins at work more to try to show solidarity with a trans coworker than personal expression. She was probably also the catalyst for the swap to they/he when it comes down to it, as I've since developed a visceral reaction to masculine honoriffics ("sir" especially) after working there and especially after watching her deal with it for months from customers. I don't think I'm going to stop hearing it unless the world starts accepting "boss" as a proper alternative and not just an occasional thing you see in translations of Persona games, but it's definitely changed my perspective.

For a brief moment, I flirted with going pronounless -- which would have put me in some pretty rare company including the Magic: the Gathering planeswalker Ashiok (until Wizards of the Coast changed that seriously what the fuck), electronic artist SOPHIE, and Shadow the Hedgehog -- but that's real hard to manage even on the internet where things can be revised (see literally every other eulogy after SOPHIE's death) and I defintely didn't want to try and force that on people saying things out loud. That's kind of how I feel about my pronouns in general, I guess? As a convenience? They're the closest thing I have to a definitive label, anyway. If I had to describe myself, best, it would be the sort of person who can and does get gender euphoria from saying "I do not wish to respond" to online questionaire's asking about gender, even when a nonbinary option is available. I know that's still under the nonbinary umbrella, and if you made me pick a specific branch of that I could probably pick something out ("Voidpunk" has come the closest besides the generic and ironically-named "Labelless"), but yeah, I like the idea of just saying "no" to stuff like that a lot.

Maybe it'll all change in the future. I've embraced the uncertainty on stuff like that.

There's definitely stuff I'm leaving out here and it came out as kind of ramble, so feel free to ask more here or DMs if need be

what's your spaghetti policy?

12 hours ago, yui said:

what's your spaghetti policy?

don't break it, salt your water, and if you order it at a restaurant it won't taste as good as you think it will so order something else instead

In games, would you rather use a character you really like and are okay with or one you don't like much and are great with?

(like as in enjoy, and like as in like the character/design)

On 1/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, LordCowCow said:

In games, would you rather use a character you really like and are okay with or one you don't like much and are great with?

(like as in enjoy, and like as in like the character/design)

i'm not even learning a game unless there's a character i like looking at and i'm also bad at a lot of games so i guess the first one?

2 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

Favorite dragon?

uhhhh

my mind went to saphira from eragon i guess that was kind of the "first" dragon where i was like "oh she's cool" but i wouldn't say she's my favorite.

i think spike from my little pony (g4, didn't watch older gens so idk how those versions were) is underappreciated, like, he has fans, but it's always "the mane six... and spike" which sometimes gets examined but not really. him getting wings was dumb, though.

i've got an mtg commander deck that, while it technically has a running stable of possible commanders for it, i still call it my "nicol bolas" deck sometimes. he's pretty cool, just sitting there reading a book and/or plotting to take over dominia.

oh i've got this guy on the sleeves of two thirds of my decks actually

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQGLp4nagn3rj8Zm_wj

How would you do the trolley problem?

5 hours ago, LordCowCow said:

What do you look for in a Main Character?

I don't really have one for stories I'm reading or watching or... I guess the word is "consuming" but that feels wrong. I dunno, that's just not where my taste lies. This might be resultant from reading a bunch of old science-fiction novels as a kid -- especially Asimov and Clarke -- who were more interested in the conceptual thing itself than the nuance of the characters exploring it. It's something that has certainly influenced my personal writing, and while I can try and push beyond when I need to and create characters with internality -- I'm currently rewriting and editing one of those now -- a lot of my scribbling revolves around one person telling the story of a weird thing that happened to them.

Like, I do try to inject character there. I like the implication that they *need* to be telling their story just so they can make sense of it too, and one person's musings about the hitchhikers they're picking up on the road would be different than another person's seeing aliens fighting by chance through their telescope (real stories). But at the same time I do strip out, say, gender, from them, almost preferring the ambiguity there, even if it made writing workshops in class super frustrating.

53 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

If you made a forum what would it be for?

a lot of my interests still have fora it's a little weird actually. i guess i think "the forge" ttrpg creation forum shutting down is sad if only because it's harder to find the discussions that led to apocalypse world, fiasco, blades in the dark, and so many more modern mainstays or at least their inspirations, so i'd make something like that

call me rpgmaker oh wait that's taken isn't it.